Speaker 1: Boomburg Money minette on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, we say good morning once more to our friend Gina Cervetti from the Bloomberg newsroom in New York, New York. General Motors a strong quarter and sees good things ahead for the company. Gina, that's right, Tom.
Speaker 3: Sales of pickups and SUVs are reving higher at GM, and now it's raised its full year outlook. It posted third quarter results that topped Wall Street estimates. GM is also getting a boost from fresh relief from tariffs on auto parts. Seems like investors really like what they heard. General Motor shares are higher ahead of the opening bell.
Speaker 1: Tom, it's good news.
Speaker 2: Coca Cola meanwhile winning over shoppers despite higher prices for its drinks here recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah Coke posted third quarter sales growth that beat what Wall Street was expecting, a sign that consumers are still snapping up the beverages despite those higher prices on the shelves. The results point to Coke winning over shoppers with its widening portfolio of drinks and that include sugar free sodas, sports drinks, water. They've also been serving up smaller sized bottles and cans, and that is helping to drive sales at Coke.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the futures this morning after a big day yesterday, a.
Speaker 3: Little quieter, but they're starting to show some signs of life down. Futures up twenty one, SMP futures up two, Nasdaq futures are up.
Speaker 1: One from Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Gina Cervetti on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back to the morning show here on seven hundred WLW. I got to know Brandon Saho a little bit. Many of you knew him perhaps growing up, went to LaSalle High School and then of course was seen regularly on the Channel five News handling the sports. Very very talented guy. After he left Channel five, I had a chance to work with Brandon Sajo at Chatterbox Sports, which basically was a startup and does great work covering sports in and around the Tri State high school, college, pro etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 2: But what I did not know when I started working with Brandon Saho all of the things that he has had to battle in his life, depression and suicide. So after he left Chatterbox, he started to try and embark on helping others in the same situation that he has been in and it's a pleasure to be joined by the aforementioned Brandon say hoo. I mean he's NonStop. He's trying to hit all fifty states. How close are you, Brandon say hoo?
Speaker 4: Well, Tom, first, I have to call you my main man. That's what you call me every time I see you. So my main man, Tom brendanman on the big one. Thanks for having me. I am at state number forty six.
Speaker 5: I have four more left.
Speaker 4: I was in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota last week, so I have Hawaii, Wyoming, Idaho, and Alaska left.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, we'll get to the other stuff in a minute, but I mean you could probably right a travel guide because some of those places ain't exactly easy to get to.
Speaker 4: No, it's hard to fly into Dickinson, North Dakota. The airport's about the size of a high school classroom.
Speaker 5: But it was awesome to go.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you this, Tom, I've been lucky to drive all over the country. You fly all over a place like that, man, it really put it in perspective. I'll say this, I probably met eight to ten people who were touched by suicide in their immediate family. I mean one woman lost her husband and then brought in.
Speaker 5: Her niece who lost her mom and dad.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just it's sad, man, but we have these conversations that hopefully help save lives.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's no doubt you're doing it. You've got an incredible reception even from the Ohio Suicide Prevention Group that's based out of Columbus, Ohio. This week, you've got a very, very busy let's hit some of the highlights. Starting in about what two and a half hours from now, you're gonna have a mental health PEP rally at the University of Dayton.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting outside my favorite arena in college basketball, UD Arena.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've been really fortunate to become friends with Coach Grant and the Grant family. They lost their daughter, Jada three years ago, who was a freshman on the track team here to suicide, and ever since, you know, they've tried to save lives too. So today we're here with care stores, trying to do our best to inspire kids from all around, you know, the greater Dayton area. We should have a few thousand kids in UD Arena and I'll share my story and also work with amazing mental health professionals. But it's part of a huge week, you know, Coach Grant starting this initiative with his family, at UD has created a basketball series, like I said, with care stores that takes us all over the country. They played Penn State on Sunday. I'll be flying down with UC as they match up with Arkansas on Friday for another pep rally against coach.
Speaker 5: Cal And then they got a.
Speaker 4: Big one regular season game in early December. Same day it's a Big ten championship game in Indy.
Speaker 5: I you and Louisville.
Speaker 4: Playing on national TV to break the stigma. I mean, it all stemmed from Coach Grant wanting to share his story and his daughter's story with Jay's Light. And I can't believe it's grown this much over the last three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the one in Arkansas on Friday, you'll be joined by not only coach Caliperi, but also is coach Miller and the teams before the game. When you're speaking in front of and I would imagine maybe I'm wrong on this, Brandon. When you're standing up in front of young young kids, elementary school kids, is the message a little bit different? Do you have to tweak it a little bit, just because if nothing else, life experience from say an elementary school kid to those that are in high school if not older.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you definitely do.
Speaker 4: And I think you know, the message is still the same of knowing that these feelings are temper and you can't ask for help and you can't do it alone.
Speaker 5: But man, you know my journey.
Speaker 4: You saw me have some of my roughest days when it came to maybe alcoholism or other addition struggles. You might lay off that a little bit when you're talking to a younger group, But I'll tell you this, Tom, I mean, I give the chance to speak with you know, Fortune five hundred companies in conference rooms to elementary schools to arenas like today, kids that are that age from elementary up to junior high and high school, they are the best when it comes to mental health because they are seeing it every day and they're open to those conversations, unlike we were when we were growing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean you suffered from this kind of thing, going all the way back to an experience you had in high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had a picture get sent around at a football game in two thousand and seven my freshman year a lasaut we were playing at the pit and it destroyed me. Man, it was so embarrassing and got made fun of and felt like I had friends. That was the first time I thought of suicide. And thankfully, you know, because of my friends that I had at LaSalle, those two guys, Ryan and Patti'll never forget.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I probably don't make it out of those two to three months without those guys asking to sit with me at lunch or to hang out on the weekend. So I think that maybe to answer your earlier question of the younger generation and the kids that I speak to, maybe like today, stories like that are relatable because these kids are on their phones and they're going through these things, whether it be maybe you know, dating pictures, different things on Snapchat, and we didn't know about it back then. I didn't know what a cell phone was, I didn't know the power of social media. It was just getting started.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You reflect back on something like that, and it makes me wonder. I don't know if this is a part of your message or not, but so many studies have come out in recent years about the term I guess would be best mental health disc that is being caused by so many kids spending so much time on their phone and in particular social media.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's two sides to every story. I think it does do harm, it does hurt kids, and there's things that are on the Internet that shouldn't be or they should you know, not be seeing it on their TikTok feed or on their Instagram feed or on Snapchat. But on the flip side, man, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without social media and without seeing somebody's message that inspires me. Or I met Terry CRUs on Instagram and got to have a conversation with him that I think and hope helped millions that watched it on social media.
Speaker 5: So there's two sides to the story.
Speaker 4: I think, just like everything in life, there's got to be a balance. And so you know, for me, I joke with you know I live out in la now and I joke with the kids that are in high school, you know that live on my street with their families. I go, man, I remember riding my bike and leaving my dad house in col Rane and not talking to my parents the entire weekend, not checking in, not knowing what anyone is doing on the Internet and just coming back on Sunday and it being okay, and these kids are so blown away by it. But I think what's been cool again is seeing how they talk about it and how they accept the way that we embrace mental health now. Se Yeah, I think it's a healthy, happy medium there. But the big point, Tom is that when you see that it's hurting your mental health and it's not helping you no matter what it is, any age, social media, drinking, whatever, You've got to realize that and take that step away to find a healthy coping mechanism instead of an unhealthy one.
Speaker 1: I would holly recommend.
Speaker 2: And we're visiting with Brandon Saho and he is the host of what has become an enormously popular podcast, it's called The Mental Game. And you still have a lot of sports ties. I mean you've visited with musicians, You've visited with many in Hollywood. This week you have Eagles star linebacker Zach Bond. What's his story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his story is incredible, man. I mean he got drafted to the Saints kind of a mid to late round pick and it was a special teamer and working his tailoff and when he hit free agency, he took a chance with the Eagles, kind of bet on himself was a career special teamer coming here or coming to Philly, I should say.
Speaker 5: And at his house in Philly, we talk.
Speaker 4: About how that year changed his life. I mean, he just signed a fifty plus million dollar deal, got a brand new house, obviously after signing that type of money, but that you know, he was broken going into that year and ended up becoming a team captain, helping seal that victory in the Super Bowl, intercepting Patrick Mahomes. And I think my favorite part of his journey is just how pure and genuine.
Speaker 5: That guy is. I pull up to this beautiful house, probably.
Speaker 4: In the Indian Hill of Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: He just bought it, just got his deal.
Speaker 4: And I pull in and I see a like little scratch DENTCE on the side of a twenty twenty one Honda a court and I'm like, there's no way this is Zach's carr. And I saw Louisiana plates and I used to live down there, so I know.
Speaker 5: What they look like. And I just go, what's the deal with that?
Speaker 4: He said, Man, when I had nothing, I was so proud to rent to own my first ever car in twenty twenty one. I'm not getting red of that thing until it dies. And I just thought that told a lot about that guy's character. But he really opens up about his friendship with his wife and now when he had no one, she was the one that he leaned on. And so I'm really excited to tell his and Ali's story. Zach Bond coming up here on Tuesday when it comes out a week from today.
Speaker 2: All right, please let everybody Brandon say, oh no, how they can follow you? Where they can follow you, where they can find heal the Mental Game podcast, because I know there are a lot of people out there who are listening right now, maybe themselves, they are struggling, Maybe they have kids, maybe they have a spouse, maybe they have a brother or a sister, aunt, uncle, whatever the case may be. Where can people follow you to get some help or at least help to get some help at.
Speaker 4: Brandon Sejo on all social media, or just search The Mental Game on YouTube wherever you get your Pike podcast.
Speaker 5: iHeartRadio is one of them.
Speaker 4: I think for me, if anyone is listening out there, the one I want. Two things I want you to know is number one you got to do something, ask for help, talk to somebody.
Speaker 5: But number two is the biggest thing for me.
Speaker 4: Feelings are temporary, Tom. I've become friends with you, I say close friends over the last five to six years. I know you don't like to make it about you, but you're one of the strongest guys I know, going through something that very few people have, and I understand your feelings about everything. It's not a sorry, you know, feel sorry for me moment. So you're a strong man and you've been there for me. So I'm always here for you, and everyone should have that type of person in their corner.
Speaker 1: Well, we love having you with us, Brandon.
Speaker 2: Keep up, keep on keeping on, my friend, Keep up the good work and all the help that you're giving to so many who need it. Save travels, my friend, and have a good time up in Dayton today.
Speaker 5: Awesome, thanks brother Tukson.
Speaker 2: An eight twenty one on the Big one seven undred WLW. I just saw chuck out in the hallway. I mean you've barely had time to catch your breath. Nope, get a mug of water and go again. And here we go, yes we So how are we looking now?
Speaker 6: Some spots getting better from the uc Hell Traffic Center Mammograms Save Lives called five one three five eight four pink to schedule your annual mammogram with uc Hel sex Per Team. That's five one three five eight four pink better southbound seventy one. The accident below Field Zurdo was clear and now traffic looking better into Blue Ash. Then the break lights start about the Reagan Highway and continue past the lateral to an accident that blocks the right lane above King. Northbound seventy one's heavy from just above the lateral to a wrecked Kenwood Road southbound seventy five that's heavy out of Evandale down to the lateral. Northbound seventy five. Break lights continue out of Erlinger into the Cut, and northbound four seventy one is running heavy from before Green and Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred wlw HI.
Speaker 2: WCPO nine First Warning four cast presented by Jennifer Ketch Market Sun's coming up.
Speaker 1: Nice day.
Speaker 2: A few clouds out there, but they'll get out of here. It's going to be a mostly sunny day today high of sixty five, tonight down to forty four, and then tomorrow and Thursday pretty much carbon copy of one another clear, sunny or mostly sonny. Hi to Tomorrow is fifty seven. High on Thursday is fifty eight. But the nights, because of a cold front coming in, will be considerably cooler. Tomorrow night thirty nine and we could get down close to freezing temperatures on Thursday night. Julie Usfording is coming up to talk about all the craze and all the fad that is protein protein protein protein seven hundred WLW Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Flight eight forty.
Speaker 2: One on the Big One, seven hundred wl W. We do this every Tuesday with former US Olympian Julius Fording. I mean she's booked up in business, was on television radio speaking engagements. I mean in demand like no other in and around the Tri State. Julie, good morning.
Speaker 7: I need you to introduce me every day of the week. I think I'd be unstoppable.
Speaker 1: You are unstoppable.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I try.
Speaker 7: I think we're all trying to just keep balanced anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something to be said for that. Part of finding balance would be our diet. Now we've talked about all kinds of things, and I say it all the time. This is the most popular segment that we have on the morning show each and every week every Tuesday eight right around eight forty with you Julius Firding And one of the fads we're talking. I don't know if it's a fad, Maybe that's the wrong word, but all the rage, the obsession, I guess is a word that you use has to do with protein. So you know, animal sources like meat and poultry and fish and eggs, dairy sources of complete proteins. There are many in plants, beans and peas and lentils and nuts and seeds and so forth. But everybody feels like this is the be all end all. It feels like right now, protein and protein diets.
Speaker 7: Tom, I think we've been become protein proud every food. I think every food now has its high protein version. My cereal, my ice cream, my pancakes, my popcarts, it's in everything.
Speaker 5: I think marketing.
Speaker 7: Is trying to make me feel good about my bad habits.
Speaker 2: Well, well, now, wait a minute, do we do acknowledge that the protein does a lot of good things? So let's start with the pros of protein.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's a.
Speaker 7: Lot of really good pros. You know, it's the building block of life, your muscles, your hormones, your enzymes. It keeps you full, it keeps you focused, it keeps you strong. It helps build muscle. It's helpful if you're an athlete you're recovering. It's even helps you age well. It maintains muscles as you get older. There are so many positives for it. But I think at the end of the day, I think we're getting a little too much protein that I don't think there's a balance here. It's not that protein is bad, it's that the moderation of proteins get lost in the marketing. Everyone's marketing high protein this, high protein that. And trust me, I love a good hamburger on the grill, but not.
Speaker 1: Three times a day, right, right.
Speaker 7: And also, Tom, I was doing some research yesterday about men. I think men get way too much protein really women that they need. Yeah, so I was I put your statistics in my research, Like, you're an average guy in terms of bill and we'll talk about your super average and a lot of other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very very average in those things. You have not far below out. Thank you for reminding me of that, though, Julie. Nothing like hearing that at eight forty five. I hear that from my wife twenty four hours a day. But thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh you're welcome.
Speaker 7: Well, so back to you and your diet.
Speaker 5: Like so you only need.
Speaker 7: About the hunger grams today. So I don't know what that really means. So I looked it up. So that would be two eggs for breakfast, a chicken sandwich at lunch, maybe some fish for dinner or a steak.
Speaker 5: But that's it. You're good.
Speaker 7: You don't need your protein shake in the morning. You don't need like a jerky between you don't you don't need any more of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you said for men, Okay, that makes sense. Now what about for women.
Speaker 7: For women, it just depends once again on height and build. If they're average, it does come down to about the same, a little less than one hundred gram it's about ninety. But you know, I always hone in on you know that some eggs for breakfast, chicken sandwich, and maybe a nice dinner. But if you keep you know, if you don't combine your carbs with like having a hamburger without a bun, for instance, First of all, it's boring and it's weight.
Speaker 2: It's not really boring. Had a cheeseburger last night, really boring.
Speaker 7: Really, but you know you need the bun. The carbs with the proteins help you digest better. They give you it gives the protein a source to do its thing is it's kind of a easy way to say it, but you do need your carbs. And here's another thing. Way too much protein. So what are we lacking fiber? So a lot of people are constipated, so then you need metamucil, so then you're taking something else. So you have to be careful, like if too much of one thing. We've talked about it a lot. It's you can't be protein obsessed. You can be protein aware. But I think most people, if they really sat down and looked at their diet, they're getting plenty of protein. I think there was a reason we told children to eat all their vegetables. What happened to the vegetables? All of a sudden they become evil and you know, the carbs are okay.
Speaker 1: It's like we're afraid of them. You know though, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't mean, no, finish what you're saying, because I want to jump in on something you just said. They're about a particular type of food, forgive.
Speaker 5: Me no, just jump right in. I love when you jump well.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, for example, Okay, you know, I remember years ago getting into a debate with Chris Welsh, my old partner on the Reds Games, right, and he is very much into watching what he eats. And I remember we were on a Red Team charter flying back from somewhere and we got into the whole debate about eggs. And remember years ago when everybody told us that eggs were terrible for us. Remember all that. Remember years ago when everybody told us that a hamburger was bad for us. Okay, now all of a sudden, they're good for you, right. So half the time I don't know what to believe. So take nuts, for example, and this is where I was going to jump in. Okay, A lot of nuts are very high in protein. Okay, so it's a good thing to eat for a snack whatever it might be right in between meals that kind of thing, right, But there are also a lot of them. From what I hear, it doesn't stop me from eating them because I love nuts. But from what I hear, you know, the flip side to getting that protein from nuts is that they're loaded with a bunch of fat.
Speaker 7: And calories, tons of calories. So once again, nuts are great and they're so healthy and there's nothing like a good cashew, but you know, not the whole can there we go again with yeah, eat your cashe's and don't feel guilty about it. And the thing is, it's good to be open minded about all our conversations, but don't be so open minded that your brain falls out. I mean being just really being smart about things. I think people maybe are succumbing to a lot of marketing and a lot of social media instead of stepping back and go, yep, it's good.
Speaker 5: You're right.
Speaker 7: Protein. It's not that protein is bad, it's that the moderation gets lost in all this marketing again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know you've brought up something again about protein for athletes, right, you know. And the bottom line is it's extra strength training that leads to muscle growth, not extra protein intake. It might help in your recoveries, you pointed out, but you can't build muscles by taking a bunch of protein shacks.
Speaker 7: That is the one of the biggest myths. It's people think more protein equals more muscle. It's not true unless you're lifting harder and under consuming protein to begin with. So that is one of the biggest miss out there. Once again, you have to do the work. I wish that we could just do these simple you know, eat more protein and woila, there we go more muscle. But it does come with some work. And that's the fun part is that, yeah, eat the right things, but go out and make things happen.
Speaker 2: You know, I was reading, well, we were getting ready to talk about this. I was reading it is important though. I guess studies have shown Julie that as we get older a little bit more protein probably is a good idea because we start to lose as everybody knows. You don't, but the rest of us common folk do start losing muscle mass as we get a little bit older.
Speaker 7: This is true. But once again, it's not that I don't think we're under consuming protein. I think that we're not getting enough exercise, or we're not on a weightlift, you know, doing more weightlifting or a program that moves your body. I'm more inclined to agree with the other research that says let's move more watch our diets, of course, but as we age, I think we move less either, because you know, we might be injured. We don't feel as well. Our body ages. It's not that we're broken, but we have to age gracefully and we can't do what we used to do, so but still keep it up with walking every day, doing some weights every day, doing some pilates or yoga, things that increase the strength of your core, and those things really will make a difference. I don't think it's an extra steak or an extra piece of chicken or a protein shake that's going to save you from aging gracefully. I think I would rather people move more.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I just think, you know, every time I turn around, I'm like you, I feel like if I want to go have fill in the blank, they're telling me how much protein is in it. The one thing I did learn in getting ready for you to come on is that a lot of people think that okay, I want to reach my protein quota, and before I let you go, you know, they try to gobble it all down and reach their quota in the morning, when recent studies have suggested that you ought to spread it out over the course of the day, not all in one meal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, your body will, it will get constipated on you. Then you won't get any fiber. You will feel awful. You do not want to get all that stuff that's in the morning or even at one meal, and you won't feel well. You'll feel tired, you'll feel sluggish and not a good idea with everything you don't want to get. You don't have to get everything in first thing.
Speaker 1: You do have time.
Speaker 7: You do have the whole day, and you might as well use your whole day and eat when you're hungry. Eat and your body will tell you what you eat too, depending on your activity level, what you have planned, what's going on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm not going to get all wrapped up in this protein stuff anymore, not that I did to begin with anywhere. All right me neither?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well, look, when you're running one hundred and twenty miles in a week, you don't have to worry about it, all right, Jules, you're the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you for everything.
Speaker 2: I hope you have a great rest of your day and we'll catch up again next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks Tom. All right, Julie is forting. She is the best.
Speaker 2: I told Chuck Ingram I said, you know his buddy was coming on again today? Yep, And you said your wife you think was actually in her dorm at Xavier.
Speaker 1: Is that what you said? Yeah, that's it. I'm pretty sure. Yeah, how about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Julian Liz were in the same dorm together, a good x U.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed home of the fighting Muskies. That's right,