Speaker 1: Do want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: All right, Friday morning, slowly here seven hundred WLW, and not all.
Speaker 3: The news is good.
Speaker 2: Great day yesterday, Opening Day at the Holy Grail with me and Moe and Tom Brenneman, and of course without all day great game. Of course the outcome was not as as good as we'd like, with a three nothing shut up by the Boston Red Sox. And of course after the game is the big news story, because all hell started breaking loose at the Banks right around eight thirty or so. Opening Day turned into pretty much an evening of fights down town, not just at the Banks, but downtown. And just think about it, We're not if this is not even spring break yet. For crying out loud for CPS students on, This is FOP president Ken Kober joining the show. Ken welcome, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you, Scott.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine.
Speaker 2: I thought with CPS, not until spring break till next week. I mean, I'm looking at this thing going. I was down there. It seemed like it was a huge crowd mass that we expect when it's eighty degrees in sunny, and it turns into this non sense. I guess the big question everyone's mind this morning. Is it's pretty.
Speaker 3: Clear that Terry Siegs you should be fired for this?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean certainly a theory. I guess you could try to eat somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd be unbelievable that report came out in the next couple of days. You know, it's a much bigger problem than the chief I think. So let's start this. You were tracking this in real time, started around eight thirty. Walk us through what your officers are dealing with, and when it became clear this is going to be a serious situation.
Speaker 5: Well, it actually started much much earlier than that. I mean as early as three three thirty in the afternoon, they had a bunch of kids fighting in Washington Park, able to get that kind of calm down, and then by a little bit after seven, there were five six hundred people at Vye and Liberty right and over the Rhine once again engaging in criminal behavior, fighting each other, just chaos. And then that just truckled on and they made their way south into Small Park and the banks and it was just up and we had, you know, bike officers that were in their riot year, you know, to make sure that they're they're protected. But it was something that they were able to eventually get a handle of. And I applaud the police for, you know, the work that they did to take what was an absolute chaotic scene and be able to do it with relatively you know, minor injuries of anybody involved.
Speaker 2: So the way you were ken, was it like the same large group of kids that were just going from area to area You mentioned Washington Park and then on the Smale and then the banks. Was it large of the same people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it just your groups of four or five hundred kids just out just trying to create chaos, trying to disrupt any bit of normalcy, you know, between over the Rye and downtown and the banks. And of course as we see or the banks you have closed at eight thirty and the amount of money that businesses are out of because parents don't want to be parents and you have a court system that just doesn't want to hold kids accountable.
Speaker 2: These are pretty much up under the age of eighteen, pretty much the entire group we're talking about here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, largely teenagers. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: The last April, the banks started their restrictions to anyone that are twenty one and you had to be accompanied by a parent. After ten o'clock on the weekend. A curfew, though, was lifted for opening day only, and the banks in the city announced i'd saying, yeah, it's a special one day kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Was that a mistake, you know?
Speaker 5: I mean, hindsight, it's always twenty twenty, you know, I mean you could argue that, you know, Metro being free yesterday was a mistake. I mean, the sentiment was absolutely there, give opportunity, Give people the opportunity to ride on a bus instead of parking and dealing all these things. It sounded great until you realize that your kids can come from all over this city downtown together together to act foolish.
Speaker 2: One of the things that happened following last summer was that Metro said, hey, we're going to restrict access here. Bring break, no no free rides the kid. You can't use your bus pass all over the place. You can only use it to to and from school. We saw what happened in Blue Ash with the fireworks up there, Red Right and Blue Ash in some other areas as well, that that seemed to stop all this. But it's you know, hindsight is twenty twenty for sure, and you want everyone to come down and have a good time. But I guess in retrospect they saw that opportunity of going, Hey, free buses and we can go downtown with no curfew. Let's do this all over again. The curfew is largely worked after last April, and we just undid it for opening day. That's I guess somebody's gonna look at this and go, wow, we really screwed this up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and it's a shame. Yeah, it's a shame that you know, this entire day, I mean, what a great day. The weather's beautiful, baseball's back in Cincinnati, and of course as soon as the game's over and you have all this nonsense occurring, and it's just there's there's no excuse for it. And until someone is held accountable, whether it's the parents, the kids, both, this is going to continue. And like you said, we're we're just in March. Just wait till June and July and August.
Speaker 2: Come Ken Coober, President of the FOP, on with Scott's loan this morning on seven hundred WLW. It's not like, you know, we didn't prepare at all for this thing. It was we had swat, we had extra patrols, bikes undercover, you had drones. I don't know if you could prepare any better than we did for yesterday, and yet look what happened. That's and I'm gonna sign with the summer months.
Speaker 5: Coming up, Oh, without a doubt. I mean, we were adequately staffed for the event. We had all the resources that we needed. It's just when you have five hundred kids, pockets of five hundred kids at a time, you running around creating chaos, it just becomes very difficult to manage it.
Speaker 4: I said.
Speaker 5: I applaud the officers for what they had to endure and how they endured it.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, it wasn't like we didn't have enough officers either, as I mentioned all those teams, but there are plenty of boots on the ground. From a perspective of the offenders in this case, they just simply not care. The police officers and in some cases officers with tactical gear around, like the SWAT team, they just simply don't care.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they don't care because there's five hundred of them, and I mean, how many how many can you grab at a time? You know only a couple are going to be arrested, So the rest of them are just going to take off run them, and then they just regroup and they just continue to do the same thing over and over.
Speaker 3: What kind of stuff were they doing?
Speaker 2: What were they were they were they pretty much attacking other youth people within their group. Was it just going after other individuals?
Speaker 5: Yeah, primarily just I mean fighting in groups. You know, of course they're opportunists, so you know, is they victims laying there or victims walking down the street and they can take advantage of them real quick. They certainly have, and there were some crimes that were actually reported, some weren't. It's just just chaos going on and it's absolute nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they hit you from behind and then then run away. And reports also say that your officers can cob were sometimes unable to reach victims because the crowd was preventing them from getting and rendering aid to people who have been struck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean you have a victim in the middle of three or foreigner people, the police are trying to get to them, and in the meantime, you have these people trying to fight the police to get the victims. So it's just the entire thing just showed the lack of accountability that these kids have.
Speaker 3: All right, so kid gets hooked.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many off the top of your head, am I wrestler and acted last night?
Speaker 5: I think they're still counting them. I'm not sure. I know the radio traffic that I heard last night, they were asking for prisoner vans NonStop. But you know that'll all shake out here in the next coming couple of days and.
Speaker 3: Then they show up to juvenile court and then what.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they were released last night. There's there's absolutely no doubt. And you know a lot of these may end up on an unofficial docket and there's out of luck.
Speaker 4: That's how it is.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the resistance and attacking, you know, armed police of uniform police officers and just random individuals out there. We also had reports of civilians using chemical irritants and maybe tasers on each other in those crowds as well. It sounded to me like they were coming there to disrupt, essentially, to cause violence. It wasn't like, you know, hey, we just got caught up in the moment. It sounded like this was planned.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it was. This is just like what two weekends ago we had it over at Glenway in Warsaw. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me. These things, unfortunately, are going to continue to happen.
Speaker 2: Juveniles are reportedly involved in fights. It's mal river Front Park, as you mentioned too, it's use violence in Cincinnati. Is it a problem that you feel that the leadership is not acknowledging, Oh.
Speaker 5: Without a doubt, without a doubt, there's no acknowledgement that it's going on. There's no acknowledgement that we have to do something to hold these kids accountable as well. Now they're just kids, they're just kids being kids or well, you know, they come from a bad background, so we're not going to punish them. And you know, the lack of accountability that continues to build up. And now you see here here's the end result, the culmination. And this really started in twenty twenty during COVID when they decided, how well we're shut down courts, we're gonna do this, we're gonna do that, and all of a sudden, you know, for the last six years you could just see that it's building and building and building and just certainly not getting any better.
Speaker 2: You know, we had the three takeovers recently. Of course, what happened last summer. The Robling Bridge had to be shut down last night because of this Fountain Square. Ohs you are the Banks, mel River Hunt Park pretty much city wide, and it's a steady drum beat that that Cincinnati is not safe on major event nights. And my heart breaks for uh, you know, people like Jim Marrying at the Holy Girl Banks and other entrepreneurs down there because it was a long cold winter. Don't have a lot of foot traffic down there. People didn't want to go out because it so damn cold. It was an ugly, ugly winter. And then this chance to maybe get in the red a little bit here too, and what winds up happened or out of the red, I guess I should say to the black, and what happens is this, and it shuts down while beer sales and everyone having a good time simply because of a pack of feral kids. And it scares me because the message continues to be sent to people like me in the suburbs is you don't want to go downtown because it's dangerous. At some point the business community is going to go enough of this nonsense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, that's that's the sad part. You know, these kids think this is all fun and game. The lack of accountability is all it's just is what it is, until it starts affecting Cincinnati economically, you know. And unfortunately it's going to get bad and they're not going to be able to recover from it, or it's going to take years and years to recover from And it's not fair to businesses that are down here. They're just trying to make a living. You're trying to have a safe place for people to go and enjoy themselves, you know, and then get caught up in this at the end of the night. Just it's a bad, bad thing for Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Is everything else can be done outside of the It doesn't seem like the judges are going to be accountable anytime soon. We had that report come out that said from city residents that worry about the dan potholes and worry about the crime as opposed to other things, that there's a disconnect between alleged leadership of the city and what the residents want, and now you have more and more violent crime happening. Things like this are going to disuade people from coming downtown, going to Reds games, eventually Bengals games. Young people still continue to do it, I think, but need you need those people from outside the city to spend money in Hamlin County because that's what really lifts a ship. If we're missing the boat on that one, You're right. I think we're going to see a decline in downtown, which is sad because of how much time and effort and money we've invested in its renaissance. And something's got to give here at this point. If you get to wave your magic wandcan Cobra president the FOP, what would that be?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I'm looking forward to see what city leadership has to say today, and today's the day that they have a great opportunity to put their foot down, take a stance and say publicly that we're not going to tolerate this. We want judges to hold these kids accountable. We want judges to hold any criminal in this city or this county accountable. That could be the first step to actually turning this around.
Speaker 2: Do you think that'll happen? Do you think sure Along or Mayor Ftad Puirreval does a press conference or at least issues a statement.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll see. I mean, I want to see if they put something out at all. That's going to be the first step. Well, Andy, who knows. I mean, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean it is Friday, so you know generally you don't want to make big news cycles. It's really something on Friday. It's a gesture, I suppose. But I just wonder how many you know, panels and how much money we're going to take and give to affected groups to try and curb this kind of behavior. And we've got to spend money, we need resources. Mind, what you need to do is start locking people up and setting an example and saying, listen, we're not going to tolerate this anymore. You know when I keep getting back to it. But I think it's part and parcel WL we're talking about. You know, when you have someone cut an ankle, monitor off and go commit crimes, you have an opportunity the minute that's cut off to determine who that is. And we don't even look at the data because we're so overwhelmed, maybe understaffed, but it's not a priority. If that sends a message, I think that trickles down to young people going, well, they don't care about us. I'm a juvenile. I'm going to get a slap on the wrist, oh, or might have to write a book report. But I can go and run rampant and be fairal all over the city and disrupt things because I get some sort of perverse thrill.
Speaker 3: Out of that.
Speaker 2: You know, I get being young and you know, being disruptive, and you know we tp stuff. We weren't going randomly punching and pepper sprang people downtown are there for a Reds game and if a cop came along, you'd run.
Speaker 3: Now they run at the cops. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 5: I mean, these kids are out of control, and you know, like I said, I can guarantee you it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Speaker 4: And that's that's the sad part.
Speaker 2: What do you expect this summer? When you talk to officers, what's your greatest fear.
Speaker 5: The greatest fear is that they're going to encounter one of these kids with a gun that's going to point it at a policeman and they're gonna end up killing a kid. That is by far the biggest fear. Without a doubt. You know, they'll deal with these kids out acting, you know, unruly and just committing criminal behaviors, what this is, disorderly conduct, all of these things, but the biggest fear is that one's going to be armed.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing is our culture can and you've noticed his shift as well as it's become a society of zero accountabile. I've always kind of talked about that. But a case in point of Hinton family. We know what the Hinton family is about, and yet they are suing the city for wrongful death and death of Ryan Hinton, who pointed a gun at police officers last year. You can't get any more ballsy than that. And now we have young people, kids that are attacking police officers and expecting that somehow that's okay. It is a bizarre world in which you lived, and we kind of fell off a cliff societally speaking, I think, and that's really what we're fighting here. You know, we could talk about judges and rules and laws and law enforcement all that, but I guess the model for a lot of these young people is like, if it feels good, do it, and if someone tells you to stop, that should be offensive to you and you should take up arms with them. Or whether it's a police officer or a judge an older person whomever they're standing in your way of a good time.
Speaker 4: No, without a doubt.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just it's become a societal problem and I don't know how you fix it.
Speaker 4: I don't either, but.
Speaker 5: It certainly it needs to be fixed pretty darn soon before you know, we start seeing they said the negative effects of Cincinnati people not coming down here.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't blame them.
Speaker 5: Yep, wouldn't blame It's got to be fixed and six quickly.
Speaker 2: No question. All right, Ken, I know you got to get going. I'm sure we'll hear it back on later today as well with an update on this whole situation. Hopefully someone down at city Hall is paying attention and addresses this issue. But Ken Kober, president of the FFP, thanks as always for jumping.
Speaker 3: On this morning.
Speaker 4: Sure, thanks thanks for having me care Yes.
Speaker 2: Sir, be well. Update coming up in just minutes. Full news update. Sadly Red's lose and even more sad is what just happened last night at the banks because we were down there broadcasting. The line was great, absolutely packed, beautiful day and marred by this nonsense. Welcome to Cincinnati, and I feel so badly for the businesses too, because they've invested so much, lost so much over the cold winter months, and for everything to get shut down at eight thirty on opening opening evening. I guess I should say it's just it's terrible, and we'll see what happens with crowds and everything else this summer.
Speaker 3: Scott's Loan Show seven hundred. Wigild now a.
Speaker 6: Man who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his bab which makes him a medical entity.
Speaker 1: He is ABC Will Dance from.
Speaker 4: New York Will Gance, Good morning. How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm good?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine.
Speaker 2: We survived opening Day twenty twenty six and Cincinnati. It is the most glorious day of the year to spit with the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: To do it now. Listen.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're not into watching college basketball or baseball. Maybe you want a little break. He is our guy to talk to when it comes to movies and streaming in everything else, I've got something for us to make billions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: You got a pen? You want to write this down? You got another device you can type into?
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Will?
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I am ready? I'm locked and loaded.
Speaker 2: Let me let me read the sentence for you from ABC News. Sharks and the Bahamas have been found to have detectable levels of substances like caffeine, painkillers, and even cocaine in their blood, potentially impacting their health and behavior. I don't care about shark behavior. I want a movie called Cocaine Shark. What about that?
Speaker 1: It writes itself. I think that you're onto something genius.
Speaker 2: Here, Snake's on a plane? What was the attack beavers? Beaver's on a plane. We've had all that before now, and we had Shark Nato. Of course back in the day. This would be the next day. What was the other one with the bear? Cocaine Bear. It's like a cross between Shark Nato and Cocaine Bear.
Speaker 1: I think out too.
Speaker 3: Let me think here, who's playing the shark? That's the quest. I wonder if they could dig that jaws thing out of mothballs. I don't know. We probably could do cgi. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel it's like a Bob olden Kirk kind of thing. Maybe I kind of like his vibe.
Speaker 4: Right, I think he would be great.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't Bob Odenkirk be really good in this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, you know, once he's done polishing all of his Emmy awards and stuff like that, we can just approach it with this idea.
Speaker 1: For cocaine sharks.
Speaker 4: How could he resist?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, And this is actually happening.
Speaker 2: And so what happened in what seventy seven or seventy five, whenever it was with Jaws, people were afraid to go in the ocean because the Great White sharks started this whole Shark Week and everything else.
Speaker 3: It started a cottage industry.
Speaker 2: Sure, this would put it over the top because we're scared of sharks already. You got a shark that's coked up, that's just been doing blow and hanging out with hookers and strippers all night. You got real problems just putting your toe in the ocean at that point, exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, and probably not safe on the sand either.
Speaker 6: If a shark has done right.
Speaker 1: He's not worried about staying in the water.
Speaker 2: Because coke, you know, I mean, Sharknade. It was just absurd. The sharks in the tornado and it's land on land. And this is more believable because it's actually ripped from today's headlines, and that you know, you got the.
Speaker 3: Cocaine shark did did did it?
Speaker 5: Did it?
Speaker 3: Cocaine Shark got a theme song? We gotta actually be more like guys the water.
Speaker 2: I gotta go all right, well, Gantce put that one down, put out a list of stuff to do.
Speaker 3: We'll get that typed out.
Speaker 2: This we should really, I mean a I could write this thing probably about the time we're done with this segment. I know Ryan Gosling has Project tail Mary. I've spoken to two people who have seen this already and said it is one of the best films they've ever seen. And you know what I hate about that. The expectation is so high. There's no way it can be that good.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, well, I would say it's certainly worth seeing anyway, it's you know, yeah, it's it's they're saying it might be the best science.
Speaker 1: Fiction movie in it for this generation. Things like that.
Speaker 6: What I love about this movie is a lot of times a science fiction movie or a space movie in particular, like you're getting you know, it's it gets existential and you're like, oh man, our planet is so fragile and.
Speaker 1: What's the point of it all? This has a nice, hopeful.
Speaker 6: Uh, sometimes funny tone to it, you know, and I guess that's what you would expect maybe with with e lead like Ryan Gosling. But yeah, it's just it is like a feel good science fiction movie. He plays a middle school science teacher who wakes up on a spaceship, you know, like light years away from Earth, and he's not entirely sure why he's there. He needs to figure out how he can, you know, save himself and in the process maybe save humanity too. But you know, it's it's hopeful, and it's yeah, it's really really great and worth seeing if you want to take a trip to the movie theaters this weekend.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the trailer in a while. I remember seeing the trailer. But does he like befriend an alien or something? Yeah, okay, yeah sort of.
Speaker 6: Then it's less about the like et is obviously like about the alien and and all that, but this, yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Is like a little bit less like that.
Speaker 3: More like else.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ryan Goslings, are you doing alf basically no, it just seems like a fascinating premise.
Speaker 3: But it feels like it's really upling as you.
Speaker 6: Said, right, and it's it's based on a novel too, that a lot of people loved, and you know, they're already of course talking about how they might extend the story beyond just this one movie, So we'll see about that. But in the meantime, yeah, this is this is uh definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 3: Is the what's the name of the alien character? Does it have a name?
Speaker 4: Rocky?
Speaker 2: It's Rocky, of course it is, which you can hear this afternoon at three o'clock here on seven hundred w o O of any fingers, And so Rocky is an alien which we kind of knew, and it is a Is it gonna be all those things where it's the new toy of twenty twenty six, like this is going to be the must have?
Speaker 3: Is it spinning? Often?
Speaker 4: To merch man?
Speaker 6: You are all about these profitable ideas this morning? I probably probably, I mean probably. The big difference though, is that this is not really a kid's movie, so you know, yeah, so I don't you know, I but but maybe you know where things have happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought the talking raccoon and group were pretty cool. I mean, this seems like it's cut from the same cloth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you know for sign fiction, people who you know do like these sort of collectible things. Yeah, I could see Rocky becoming a collectible.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I'm just full of the money ideas, probably because it's it's not the first of the month yet. I haven't gotten you know, we haven't gotten our check from the government.
Speaker 3: All right. So that's Ryan Gosling project. Hail Mary.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that's totally worth going to the theater to see it? It is it better to Is it one of those deals where it's better in the big screen?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 6: I think often these base movies, you know, it's the scale is cooler when you're watching it, you know, on a huge screen.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: There's another show on and we started watching it the other night, and I'm not sure because it's what three or four seasons. It's called The Comeback. Lisa Kudreau, of course from Friends, is in this thing and it's about her comeback as a B level actress. And started watching like the first couple episodes. I don't know what to make of it yet, but it's been on for how many seasons now, so it must be okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's it's only in a third season, but it's thirty years. So like the first season came out twenty years ago, the second season came out ten years ago, and now she's back.
Speaker 1: I understand your hesitance. It's a weird it's a weird tone, and like, you know, she's.
Speaker 6: Just like crazy sort of in it, Like you're like, what is the deal with this woman? But if you stick with it, it's like the way it sort of skewers the entertainment industry, you know. And and this third season she's back and she's offered a role in a new sitcom. But the kicker is that it's written by AI, so you can tell that, like that's going to be the thesis statement probably of the season is you know what happens when that becomes the norm and you put someone like her character at the helm of that. But she's I think, you know, just one of the great sitcom actresses and you know, and and the way that they just pokes on a different parts of the industry and different people within the industry, it reminds me of the studio in that sense a little Milko. Yeah, So's three just premiered this past weekend and that was episode one, and episode two will come out on Sunday interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because you're watching like she and by the way you tell she's such the subtleties with her absolutely fantastic, the subtle references and the way she carries herself because it's it's shot in that documentary kind of style. Yeah, and a lot of cases and she just plays it off so well. But I'm like, I don't know where this is going. I'm not sure i'll invest the time, but maybe I'll get back into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, I also think you could if you wanted to just start on season three.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know it's not Yeah, you could.
Speaker 2: Does it get Is it one of those deals where each it gets better each season.
Speaker 6: Like the tent and like you get more invested in her personal life and stuff.
Speaker 4: Like that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Okay, So that's over on HBO Plus, I believe. Yeah, and then you have something on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: Yes, this is Daredevil Born Again.
Speaker 6: Season two just started this week and it's Charlie Cox plays Daredevil, who is Marvel's like blind superhero Vincent Andafrio the bad guy in this and he's so good at being a bad guy. And what's great about season two is that it sort of starts to build out and invite more characters in from the different Marble properties. So that's exciting for anyone who's into sort of the superhero things, but it's it's a good show for anyone who likes sort of like a corrupt government type of drama.
Speaker 4: So that's what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in this So don't we have enough of that in real life?
Speaker 6: Well yeah, but if you prefer to have your villains named Vincent Andafrio and at a safe distance of all the way in Hollywood, Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, see, it could be worse.
Speaker 2: That's a way I like, it could be worse.
Speaker 3: I don't know. All right, you've got stuff to.
Speaker 2: Do this week, and I know you got to get busy on that cocaine shark.
Speaker 3: The idea we have what do you call that? A concept? They called it what what do you what do you call that? In Hollywood?
Speaker 6: It's a I mean, we can start with the outline, we could start with the you know, yeah, and we'll we'll I'll have a draft for you by.
Speaker 2: Before we get to pitch, because you got to ride it, you drive it in, and then then you pitch it.
Speaker 3: You give it to agents. How's that work?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, you know, I have a couple of connections. We might just start with with, like you know, our internal guys and then we go from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's coming out and it's gonna be a wide release on Viewmaster back in the day. All right, So Will Gans our entertainment guy in the Scotsland Show every Friday morning. That's two s's and Gans Gas. That's at Will Gans and I appreciate the time, brother. Have a great week Oh obviously a great weekend. You're gonna be busy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, ud take care of the man.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you. There you go.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, it sounds like it writes itself. If you're a fan of the snakes. It started with snakes on a plane. Really, I mean you probably could go back into the seventies and fifties crazy, but you know, and for the modern era and with well called the modern era started with snakes on a plane, which was just hysterically bad. And then you had you know, the bee I forget what the beaver one was. We got to look that up. There's a beaver on a plane. And then of course Sharknado, and now you have actually and then cocaine bear. And now you actually have cocaine shark, which sounds like it's a rip off a cocaine bear. I'm not sure, but it's an actual news story, Like I'm looking at I have it right here. Sharks in the Bahamas have been found to have detectable levels of substances like caffeine, pain killers, and cocaine in their blood. Cocaine in their blood detectable levels. So you put the shark on, well, hell, caffeine, painkillers, and coke. Why not do all three? What could possibly go wrong inside your body? And now you've got stories. I mean, there's one thing that sharks is eating people, eating kids, eating you know, swimmers are out there, they're getting bitten there. Now the cocaine shark is it's superhuman. Now it's pissed off, it's all coked up. It thinks it's the most important shark in the world. Like it's talking to other sharks and we should do this, and we're best friends and we're gonna go we're gonna conquer the world and I'm going to grow feet. And that's what the cocaine does to you. I'm thinking there's something there. Watch for it. You'll, you know, a year or two from now, you'll be sitting there going what happened to Sloan? What happened that they finally fired him? And then you'll see my name and the credits going, oh, he did the da brilliant sob, he did Cocaine Shark, Cocaine shark. I'm telling you I'd watch it. Sloany seven hundred ww AND's goin to be an American, got going on seven hundred w welw.
Speaker 3: You know I'm sick for the trades.
Speaker 2: I love the trades, and anytime I can pound my chest and support the cause, I will, whether it's electrical, wh there's plumbing or in this cage HVAC. Because we are about to embark here in the summer months. You know, we have baseball season here, and of course we have two seasons in Cincinnati. We have winter and we have baseball. Those are the two seasons that the Lord gave us. And we are now in baseball season, which means, before you know it, it's gonna be like living inside of a dog's mouth. It's gonna be hot, it's gonna be sticky, it's gonna be humid. I know that's hard to believe what the weather we've had over the last few weeks and certainly this winter, but that's a fact. It's gonna get sticky. And when you do that, you need your HVAC. And we need people. We need bodies, We need young men and women to get in these particular trades. One of the people who are doing God's work here is the Southern Ohio Technical Institute, soot I Sody and Mike Tripple is the director and head instructor there.
Speaker 3: Mike I I Ben.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty good. How you been, Scott, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Mike, you're there? Yeah, okay, gotcha, all right, I got you. I dropped out there for a second. First of all, welcome. I know you're working on a new ten thousand square foot building because you're not like a three thousand square foot facility now, But I think that just goes to show you just how in demand these trades are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. You know, we've grown. We've been around since twenty nineteen and we've graduated over five hundred students in the demand is just going up and up.
Speaker 3: Scott, Well, that's good.
Speaker 2: So if people will know what you guys do at Southern Ohio Technical Institute give us the elevator pitcher.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, basically what Southern Ohio Tech does it's different than some of the other HVAC schools. We have what's called an accelerated course, which is a ten week course and most of the other ones are a six hundred hour or eleven month course. And basically, our course is designed to get the people out on the ground, give them their boots on the ground instruction that they need, and then also give them their certifications they need to work, and in ten weeks we go from clayassroom to a job.
Speaker 2: Somebody may go push back and go, well, okay, you've got a ten week program versus a traditional eleventh month program. How do you convince a skeptic this isn't just a you know, a rubber stamp certificate. It's the offset, the fact that you're now on the job and you're learning in real space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well exactly, that's it, exactly, and it all has to do with the curriculum that's being used by all the other schools. Ours is a little bit different and we believe a lot more in doing a regular a regular classroom scenario and then immediately taking that person into a state of the art lab and showing them on hands on equipment that they're going to be working with every day out in the field.
Speaker 2: And I think that's interesting too, is that that you know you are going to be in a field, you're going to be paired with someone else for while, a trainer, a supervisor, and you're going to learn as you watch them enhance. The most important part is that you're now making money because you're gonna get paid to learn on the job.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, that's true. And see here's here's the thing. We give these students the boots on the ground knowledge and the certifications that need to go in and work. But every HVAC company, Scott, they all want to train their people differently. Not everyone trains their people all the same. So we go ahead and we work on getting them jobs okay, and getting them the training they need with that company okay to further their career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're talking to you, you're dealing with an HVAC systems two very deadly things. Your you know, electricity that you're talking tens of amps here and also natural gas. And that's a big thing is getting ocehous certified and making sure you know your way around that stuff so you're safe on the job and for those around you, and of course the homeowners of the commercial building as that might be. We know, the trades are having a moment right now, and everyone's talking about the skilled labor shortage. And I've been talking about that for years, as you know, Mike. How bad is it though on the heating, ventilating, air conditioning side of things in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Well, here's your thing. Just this came out, this article just came out from one of the largest manufacturers, one of the big three, Carrier. They said that we are going to need four hundred thousand in this industry within the next ten years. Okay, a big hole to fill.
Speaker 3: Four hundred thousand bodies and ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, four hundred thousand we're gonna need. Yeah, because you know, of course, the new construction is growing, everything's growing. Uh. And this is uh, this is what came out from Carrier about two weeks ago. Scott.
Speaker 2: Well, you add to that AI and datail centers, right, I mean that that's going to eat a lot of not only power, but all those buildings need to be heated and cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, and Scott, you know, I'm glad that you brought up AI. You know, the AI has taking over a lot of jobs for people. But guess what if you get into the HVAC field. Uh, this is one of the jobs. I don't think you ever have to worry about AI because that's what You're always going to need a Coca cola or you need right be kept warm one it's five degrees outside. I hear you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people do this and I'll work the job and it's great, and other people will be more entrepreneur I know, Mike, you were that guy who worked for the family company and retire came back to do this at Southern Ohio Technical Institute, and so there's room there for growth for everybody. I know a lot of people who started out in the field and that said, you know what, I watched how the business worked. I watched how billing works, accounts receivable, how you're getting a product in and dealing with vendors, and they rose to run their own companies and to the man and woman, as a matter of fact, it might start with a family business like you did, but so many people out there have done this and said, you know, what I'm gonna try and hang my own shingle. They've done and one of my best friends did that and was very successful, retired in hvacy, so I see it firsthand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Scott. You know that's the carit it's out there. Okay, you know, within five years if you'd like to go into business for yourself, get yourself properly licensed and go out and run an ethical business. Listen, there's no reason in the world why you can't be successful and reach that drain. That's a fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the other thing too, is you're still competing as for your colleges. That has been decades, and these school systems have been decades, convincing mom and dad that degrees equal success. That has fallen apart in recent years, but I think that sigma still there. How do you make that case of the trades to a nineteen year old in their mom and dad?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, here's the thing. I just show them basically statistics. You know, you can do a four year job, a four year career college, or a four year excuse me, just a four year business college. Got in Guess what at the end of that four years, what are you going to do? You're going to get a job at a coffee company maybe making thirty thousand a year, you know what I mean, And you got an eighty thousand dollars student right, Okay, so it's a little bit different with the HVAC. You know, you can go in and when you get to the end of this thing, most of our guys are going in at about at around a fifty thousand dollars a year forty to fifty thousand dollars a year start. That's including their overtime and stuff while they're being trained. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, if you're going to the staff, we need smart, we need educated, We need college educated people. We need doctors, we need all that. We don't need more lawyers, but we need more doctors and nurses like in that regard. We need people to design the equipment you're installing. So it's not like your college isn't but man, today you better make sure that that degree you're getting is going to service at least your loan, if not your lifestyle for years to come. And unfortunately we're still cranking out college degree programs that don't mean squat. If you're walking away with that and nothing else, and maybe you are a hands on person like me and you're hearing this and going, you know what, there's no stigma here. I can make good money from the jump, and the sky's the limit, depending on how smart I am and how hard I want to work. For sure, I know you offer both day and night class classes. What does that look like for a typical student?
Speaker 4: By the way, okay, well, our students come in our classes, for an example, in the morning, they run from nine o'clock in the morning till soo in the afternoon. Are evening classes run from five until ten at night, So it's five hours a day. It's four days a week, ten weeks, two hundred hours. Okay, and listen, it's an accelerated course, just like any other accelerated course of you go to nursing school takes you three years, do an accelerated course in eighteen months. Ours is kind of the same thing. It's not hard. It's a lot of information if you hit the process in ten weeks. But we're trained, and all my other instructors are trained to get these guys through that ten weeks and get their certifications, and we get them their boots on the ground. They need to get out there and start working.
Speaker 2: And then you make money from day one. That's the best part. And you do day and night classes. Obviously. I know you're also introducing a high school program too, that's going to work with all local high school guidance counselors, the fast track pads in the program.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of my first class. That's a grant program from the Charles Foundation. Mister Shore was so generously gave these high school seniors at a great, great opportunity. They can come to our school, and they are coming to our school from all the area public schools. I mean we have them from we have them from Ake and High School, we got them from Bethel, we got them from all over right now in the class that we're running, and they can come here and apply through their counselor through their school and it is a full ride, ten week program that mister Shore is provided for them.
Speaker 3: Does that also apply to veterans?
Speaker 5: Will we have we have some programs available for veterans at the school as well, that there is money available for the veterans to come to our school.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, all right, what about job placement, what's your success right?
Speaker 3: There ten weeks and on what happens.
Speaker 4: Well, we're ten weeks right now, and realistically we're probably have been over the past year and a half somewhere around. We worried about eighty five percent and worried about right around the eighty seventy five to eighty percent job placement. Okay, and listen, that all has to do with the we we do a resume class, we go through this with all the students, and actually some of these students Okay, we don't job place because they don't need it. They're coming there just to better where they're at. They're already at a maintenance program that they're that they're working at and they need to better their job, or they're they're wanting for because they own a string of homes and they want to service their own homes. So it just all depends Scott.
Speaker 3: No, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you own a property, you know, one of the things I pay a lot of my fors hac service, and you know, you look at that going well, you know, if I being able to certify to be able to do it yourself, that's kind of a big deal. What is like the biggest misconception you think that people have about a career in HVAC going working on furnaces and air conditioners.
Speaker 4: Well, I think one misconception that they have is basically that they're going to be able to go into this and go into business for themselves right away, and that's not the case. The AVAC industry requires you be into business or be associated with the business for at least five years before you can be properly licensed to do that. So you have to work and actually accumulate the experience for five years before you can go into business for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I mean, if you want to do that, go be a franchise, you know, flip burgers or make tacos or sandwiches or something like that. But you need training because there's a lot of safety, there's a lot of technical knowledge that you need in skills you need to develop before you can wind up. You got to walk before you can run, I guess is the case. We're also seeing more women enter in the field as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, And listen, you know, I can tell you first in women are very good at this. You know, there's a couple women that I know first tend to do extremely well in this business. Okay and have and one in particular used to work for my brother Jim and went into business for herself and it is doing quite well.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. We need more women in the trades, we really do. So that's good. That's been really encouraging. Mike Trible. So let's say somebody starts the program on today. You're working by what first of July? Pretty much?
Speaker 4: Right? Yes, you start today and you can go through your ten weeks. Absolutely. Yeah. As a matter of fact, I wanted to mention and do a shout out to all the companies that participated in our job there that the school had. A week before last we hit about twelve companies there and it was a huge success.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: They just they loved our students, We loved them and buy the I just want everybody to know that these companies that were partnered with, they're great people and really great companies and they do a good job and they they do good for the community. All these these companies do.
Speaker 2: Mike Tripple is the director and head instructor essentially at the Southern Ohio Technical Institute. Sody and I know you're out on Ohio Pike building a new building and that should be online shortly, but if you're interested, reach out to them, Southern Ohio Technical Institute online. It's so OTI, by the way, And if you're interested on what's the next class start?
Speaker 4: I believe our next class is coming up here in April. Okay, all right, the next class starts?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, get a hold of get ahold of Mic and his team out there. And you know what, it's a great paying job and there's a lot of upside to it for sure, and you're going to be in demand. You're not going to be outsourced, You're not gonna be replaced by AI computer and a robot not going to take your job, and you're going to be making real money and in about ten weeks.
Speaker 3: Time, Mike call the best. Thanks for jumping on the show this morning.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you for your time, Scott.
Speaker 2: Take care. Yeah, yes, sir, thanks again. I've got to get a news update in just minutes. Here it's a Scott's Loan show Friday morning, seven hundred w world.
Speaker 3: If there's two words you need to know today, two words.
Speaker 2: In the English language here with Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty. In sports, those tours would be fire Dusty. Clearly the Clearly the Reds are outmatched by the Boston Red Sox. I love how Tito called it overreaction Friday because it's so true. We lose our minds the Friday after opening Day. Either we're going to win the series or the team should be sold and moved to Portland or something like that. Three nothing lost yesterday the Bosox. Garrett Crochet was pretty good and Rabbit was pretty good. Salth Stewart was great except for getting hit in the hand. Status he continued to play. But yeah, Mady got worried about that. You got a couple of hits after he got hit. I think they got lucky that it was more in the hand as opposed to the wrist or above the wrist. I'm sure it feels horrible this morning.
Speaker 8: He's probably struggling to pick up a cup of coffee exactly. I'm sure they'll use some stuff on it, and I expect him to try to play through it. I mean, he's a dude that's really excited about this season. We obviously has a boatloaded talent.
Speaker 3: We need him.
Speaker 8: He might not play the field, might be a d H or something like that. But Sal Stewart. I think the Reds avoided disaster. Will find out more tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: We really need that luck on our side considering blisters and elbow chips and other things. But you look at salth Stewart and he produced almost entirely all of the Reds offense.
Speaker 3: Yester, Yeah, I mean, he pretty much was all of it.
Speaker 8: And also thinking back like opening Day, there's been some nasty injuries in the past. You think of Ken Griffy Junior, Ryan Ludwick and others that have gotten hurt on Opening Day. But yeah, I mean he was awesome yesterday. Three hits, and the strategy of Terry Francona putting South Stuart behind Ellie de la Cruz and in front of au Haaneo Suarez. You saw multiple times where Suarez would come to the plate and Stuart was on base, or the bases were filled or whatever it might have been, and it made sense. You started to see the vision for Terry Francona get au Haaneo Suarez to the plate with runners in scoring position, but unfortunately Soarez couldn't come through yesterday. I hope it's it feels like a little bit of last season, but uh, you hope with runners in scoring position the Reds can actually produce that.
Speaker 3: That's been a huge proble for this team for a while. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I have a feeling, uh au Haneo Srez won't strike out every single time there's runners in scoring positions for the rest of the season. But I do think a lot of Reds fans who are diehard Reds fans were walking out of that stadium yesterday thinking, golly, is it going to be like this again all summer?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. That's how I was feeling.
Speaker 8: I was thinking of it, and you want to talk about overreaction in the moment, I'm thinking And I said to my dad as I'm walking out, you know, as someone who talks about this team every day for a living, I can't do that for one hundred and sixty one more games.
Speaker 3: I just did it last season.
Speaker 8: Let's hope it's just a tough first matchup and that they'll get better over the weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean your facing their ace, it's like okay, so yeah, yeah, it's what it is.
Speaker 3: And they have a good bullpen too.
Speaker 8: I mean Eraldus Chapman had the best season of his career last year at thirty seven. Once it got to the ninth that game was pretty much over. They also have Garrett Whitlock, who pitched really well over the course of the last season as one of the top believers in baseball. So yeah, And what I thought was interesting is is the abs challenges and how to talk about that kind of flipped the game and the ninth inning to an extent.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that. I'm your impression first game in.
Speaker 8: I love it. I've always loved it. I've loved the idea of doing it. And it's so quick, it's so fast. There were some times during spring training I'm thinking, Gosh, this is taking longer than it should, like, what's the hold up? But I think it's just the facilities in spring But you know, umpire walks from out behind home plates as the batter is challenging boom. Within seconds, it's on the scoreboard and you find out as a ball or is it strikes, it overturned, whatever it is. And you know there was a sequence where the Red Sox challenge a pitch and they were right, and the Reds challenge a pitch and they were right.
Speaker 3: And that was on back to back pitches.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, And then going into the ninth inning, going to the bottom of the ninth inning, Connor Phillips thought he had Roman Anthony struck out Anthony challenges. It turns out it's a walk. The Red Sox end up getting an insurance run after that. So it can flip a game. It can be very powerful.
Speaker 2: How we got to get to a point and we saw an indicator for this about a week or two ago in spring training where the pitch was dead, I mean dead across the middle of the plate. Um called at a ball and it was overturned. Is this it for a home plate umpire essentially calling balls and strikes?
Speaker 8: No, I think it can only help them, honestly, like it should be about getting it right and.
Speaker 2: Then put it on the screen and go, oh was a ball strike in automatic count? Now you still I think need real umps out there. Yeah, I think you still need real umps out there. I don't think that they're at that point now. I don't know that we should be at this point. But you know, I had seen something in the Chicago Tribune the other day where an umpire was complaining. A former umpire was complaining and saying that you know this is all this is going to do is embarrassed umpires. Nobody likes to be humiliated, and that that, to me, Scott is the problem.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 8: It's not about you being humiliated, it's about getting it right.
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 8: Exactly everybody. It's not about you. It's not about you getting humiliated. It's not about you getting lauded. It's about you getting it right. This only helps them.
Speaker 2: I don't get I never understood that while you you offend the umpire, you're offending it.
Speaker 8: It's like, who cares? I'm offended if you get it wrong right? So and again, in this day and age, you got to be perfect. There's replays, there's sure and umpires have really, really tough jobs and many of them are really good.
Speaker 3: Point is the ego gets in the way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Austin Elmoher from ESPN fifteen thirty, chopping up yesterday's opening day, l they got a game tomorrow on all weekend, so off today, which is good because the weather's terrible. Yesterday was absolutely perfect. I knew you were down there. Yeah, it was one of the best opening days. I think you remember as far as crowd goes for the weather goes on field, do you think yesterday's street fights and the like and the takeover as a result of the loss for people that upset that they were angry and wanted to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know how there would be any other explanation. Yeah, it was that, and the presence of Bill Cunningham probably got the youth. Oh love Cunningham, what exactly can you tell me what exactly happened down there?
Speaker 3: Because now I walked out on.
Speaker 8: The east side of the stadium towards the arena, so I didn't see any of that. I didn't experience my friends did. I just want to know, like, what exactly happened?
Speaker 3: I was I see.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you with all like the hair pulling and you know there's videos all over weaves laying on the ground because hair's getting ripped out.
Speaker 8: If you let that's what happened to you yesterday. I saw Willis, I saw Willie's tweet. Now, so here's what happened. I had Can coberan head of the FOP, at nine oh six this morning. He said this, It started in like areas like Washington Park and elsewhere, and there was a group of several hundred young people and the reason being and say how earlier I heard it was that spring break wasn't until next week, but I heard CPS is this week. But regardless, you have young people. They lifted the curfew for the banks in other areas but not downtown for some reason, and it would have been early, so it applied anyway. Also Metro said, hey, free ridership for anybody want to come out of the game. Well, kids took advantage of this, as we've seen in the past, and now started to cause trouble. They came down with the express purpose of causing trouble. Some had pepper spray, others had tasers. Oh, and they were going at it Washington Park. Then they ran down the Smale and then eventually the banks at eight thirty, and that's when people were getting assaulted. Were they fighting each other or some of us was hacking random a little bit?
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was like knockout game or anything like that level. I don't think that's what it would.
Speaker 8: You describe it as riots, not riots, But okay, because Bill Cunningham here says after the game, riots break out. Downtown bars locked their patrons inside, police shut down the banks and patio dining swat teams and special teams dispatched.
Speaker 3: The SWAT teams and stuff were there.
Speaker 8: Kind of weird, but it seems a little bit misleading at maybe a little bit of exaggeration.
Speaker 2: We think again, will he thinks Willie thinks that Red Bank Road is the Mexican border?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Can I just you know, I think sometimes some of that stuff so a little bit over the top, a little bit over the.
Speaker 2: Top, but I mean not rioting, because I would think then that involves property damage.
Speaker 8: And but it was just like I'm sure the people have in fights. I mean, what the hell absolutely should not. And I'm not saying that it's I'm not trying to downplay it at all. I'm just saying it's maybe not as bad as he's portraying it to be. But I'm sure that the business owners down there are not happy. I mean, that game ends at six forty five, and the weather is perfect, and you have a chance for all those people to spill right back into the banks and watch the Sweet sixteen games. Yes, and that's an opportunity for those guys to make a lot of money. And I don't blame them for being upset with that. And I don't know what the solution is, and I'm not here to talk about it.
Speaker 2: A top the fact that it was a brutally cold winner and no one was out and so this is a chance I'm going to make money for a change as supposed to lose money. And it's just it's horrible and you can't have this. And the mayor issued a statement. Now whether or not he said, you know, we're not going to tolerate this. So I've heard that a million times. Starts splitting wigs man, do something. Yeah, I agree to do something, all right, Austin Elmore. When I was talking about the.
Speaker 8: Thing, if we win baseball games, people don't.
Speaker 3: Fight each other. That's it. You win games.
Speaker 8: I remember, this is a funny. Sorry, my first Opening Day, this is twenty eleven. I come down with my dad and we're going through all the different downtown and going.
Speaker 3: Through the parade and all this. How old were you? I was.
Speaker 8: Fifteen or sixteen years old, and my dad says to me Opening Day is a ceasefire in the city of Cincinnati. And and all these years later, it's true. They just had tasers and pepper stray right right, the hopefully wrong about that?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So wait, I just got a tack hold on. I got a here we go correction here from Catherine Nero, because everybody's listening like that, hey slowly, I'm she's the best. I'm listening to your show, and I just want to make one distinction. The Banks did not lift any city wide curfew. They didn't suit their twenty one plus initiative make sense. I'm sorry, I thought it was clear on that, but yeah, I so citywide the curfew didn't. At the Banks, they lifted it going out, We'll have a good time. And that's a problem, right And and there are people going, oh, let's go exploit this and be jerks and mowing it forever. That's the problem. That's exact right there. So I grew with Catherine Nero. Thank you, my dear. Let's get into basketball. Last night we had, as you mentioned, sweets sixteen action action boiler Makers escaped with a two point nail bier over Texas. Iowa downs Nebraska. That Cinderella story is done. Hawkeys advance the A line, I upset the Cougars, and the Wildcats put in a clinic and blew out Arkansas by twenty one last night as well. Tonight We've got Duke and Saint John. It's seven to ten, Michigan Bama seven thirty five, Yukon, Michigan State nine forty five A, and Iowa stayed in Tennessee. Take it to ten, ten and so it does a full night of college basketball. Arizona drops one hundred and nine on Arkansas. They're still Is it the most dangerous team in the bracket?
Speaker 4: Stall?
Speaker 8: I think so. I think they're probably. I think them in Michigan are the two best teams remaining. Florida now eliminated, Houston now eliminated. I think Duke is going to have their hands full with Saint John's tonight. Obviously, Rick Patino has that team playing really well, and Duke hasn't necessarily played well through the first couple rounds of the tournament. So I think it's Michigan and Arizona and those teams will have to face off in the final four to get to the national championship game. But I think, you know, the big story continues to be how impressive the Big Ten has been Illinois with a ten point win over Houston, Texas and Iowa Nebraska. The fact that those two teams even met in the Sweet sixteen. To get to the Elite eight in Iowa with a ton of turnover from a year ago, to be right back into the Elite eight, I think is very impressive. And as I just mentioned, Michigan on the other side, Michigan State still in it. The Big Ten is showing up really well in this tournament. It kills you to talk about how good Michigan teams are right now, just kills you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I don't root for the Big Ten.
Speaker 8: I'm I'm an Ohio State fan, and I do not subscribe to the idea of rooting for your conference. I've always thought that was stupid. But I can't acknowledge that the teams are playing really good. Unfortunately, Michigan's really good. Yeah yeah, SPARTI. Michigan State to night against Yukon. Hoskis have owned March last few years. Is this it for them?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 8: I think what's interesting is Luke Murray, who's basically their offensive coordinator at Yukon and the son of Bill Murray formerly at Xavier. He's gonna leave and be the head coach to Boston College next year, so he's only got a few games left with Yukon. I wouldn't say that that it's over for them.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 8: You know, they very much have a chance up against tom Izzo, and I think that's gonna be a great matchup.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: And if they get into this next round, like they certainly can can do some damage. They they are tried and true and and Danny Hurley is their coach.
Speaker 3: Dude, the winner.
Speaker 2: Michigan roll tonight. Probably, Okay, Bro, that's a good answer. Probably, that's all I got. I mean, Alabama has played better than I thought. They were trending a different direction.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna sit here and just blow smoke up here, but yeah, Michigan's probably gonna play well.
Speaker 3: I just want to save that as a cut. I was just trying. You can say I'm gonna a Michigan. I could save that.
Speaker 1: Said.
Speaker 3: Probably that's editing. Oh here, I'll give you this one roll all right.
Speaker 8: The other match up Duke Saint John's, Yes, most interesting matchup I think so far. I mean, Rick Patito just continues to show that he is maybe the best basketball coach of all time, all these different programs.
Speaker 3: He did it at the NBA level.
Speaker 8: He's taken Saint John's right back now to the Sweet sixteen, and as I said, Duke has not necessarily played well over the first few rounds of the tournament. Remember they were trailing to Siena for most of the first game that they played up until the very end. And meanwhile, Saint John's feels like they're catching that momentum and kind of keeping going up into the right. And so I think Saint John's is a trendy pick here. America hates Duke and they should. I hope they continue to do that, even though coach K isn't there. But yeah, I mean that place that's to me, the pre eminent game of this tournament.
Speaker 2: Right, you think of all sports, thinking the NFL, MLB, certainly NCAA, and it's like in all of the sports, there's a handful of coaches that can just dominate and change the trajectory of games or dynastas for that matter. Right, you know, I think it Bill Belichick in the NFL, you just mentioned coach K at Duke, and that's why everyone hates do Duke is because well, coach K just ran the table there and now you got Patino Saint John's. I think it's it's you know, there's just a the irony there to me is fascinating. There's such a great backstory that how many coaches can you name and in each league where it's like, yeah, it doesn't matter who they have or theout, they're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, not that any of them.
Speaker 8: And I think what that's what makes Patino so much more impressive is that he's done it at at different levels and different stops and different programs. Whereas you know, one guy standing for a long time, and and now if Belichick turns the North Carolina tar Hill program into a powerhouse, and that will be even more impressive for his legacy. I just think that's the difference between Patino and all these other guys is his ability to jump to different places and still have the same results.
Speaker 3: All Right, what's the biggest storyline heading into the lead eight here?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 8: Uh? Outside of Saint John's and Duke, I think it is can one of these teams kind of be a Cinderella?
Speaker 9: Can?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess Iowa is the Cinderella. They're not.
Speaker 8: They're a nine seed, They're from a power conference. The crello is really remaining. Tennessee is six seed out of out of the SEC. I guess it's I don't know that there's really anything all that.
Speaker 3: Like, it's just.
Speaker 8: Good matchups, good teams, good coaches. Like, it's a lot of chalk. It's not that Cinderella run that we've used to seeing over the last however many years. And I think some people blame that on an I l and I undershare that. But yeah, I don't know that there's anything overwhelmingly interesting outside of what we talked about with Saint John's.
Speaker 3: How's your brackets? It's gotten hot lately.
Speaker 8: I picked Illinois to beat Houston, okay, and so I think I'm right now third in our iHeart bracket pool. You're nowhere near the top. But yeah, it's fun. Oh I'm not John John bad. No, nobody is. John John was terrible, and I I'm tent. I don't want to say this person's game on the air. But we have someone who is in single digits in percentage, correct, is at nine percent?
Speaker 3: You're talking about Russ Jackson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Russ comes back after all these years, comes home to the family, and he's terrible.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been watching college basket nine percent.
Speaker 8: Well, John John is at eighteen percent. John John is historically at the bottom of this competition.
Speaker 3: Terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just stick to dressing like an elf. And Dave Keaton, our producer today, not much better. No, horrible. Yeah, we just got eleven brackets.
Speaker 3: So anyway, anyway, Austin Elmore, fred Y Yeah, I'm yuy yeah, look at me. I yet my delly, I bigs they give me.
Speaker 2: I'm a clown crying on the inside. Audie today at noon with Tea Pike.
Speaker 8: Yes, Uh, We're gonna have Charlie Goldsmith in studio for an hour from twelve thirty to one thirty.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be Tony and Austin and friends.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: Also Tommy g Bob Man, Gene will recap opening Day and get you set for the Elite eight and all that.
Speaker 2: Love it all right, appreciate you have a great we think excuse me, Sloony, you're home of the red seven hundred w Do you.
Speaker 1: Want to be an American? Welone?
Speaker 3: You back on seven hundred WLWSL.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're getting a little bit older, maybe.
Speaker 2: Not wiser, but older. Maybe second, third, fourth, twentieth marriage. I'm not going to judge him. Maybe in a new relationship. Maybe you're married and you don't want four bedrooms or need four bedrooms anymore. You don't need that basketball court in the backyard or in the front driveway, or I don't know, maybe you've got arthritis and going up those stairs is not as appealing to you anymore. Maybe you suffer from a disability, or maybe just want a damn change of scenery. I'm talking about downsizing your house. Downsizing and that is a tough decision because of what it entails, and that means getting rid of the old and rolling in.
Speaker 3: With the new.
Speaker 2: Joining the show is Marne Jamison, who's an expert in these things, and Marnie. Welcome to the show. Good morning, How are you.
Speaker 9: I'm very well, Scott, Good morning.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about right sizing. Right sizing versus downsizing. Is are those the same thing? Is it two sides the same coin.
Speaker 9: Well, after writing three books about downsizing, I thought it was getting a little depressing, So then I wrote one about right sizing, which doesn't sound so like an emotion, but it's actually what we all should be aiming to do is live in the house that is the best fit for us, wherever we are socially, financially and emotionally and physically. So I think right sizing is the word of the day.
Speaker 3: Okay, right sizing, not downsizing, but right sizing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you look at it and go, yeah, we had kids and raise our kids here, and you look around this house, going it's big, it's empty. We can each live in our own different floor if we want to. Not everyone has that as fortunate off or even wants a big house like that. But at the same time, you look at it, going, yeah, I just you know, we're heating this whole house. My wife's parents are still with us, same thing. They he built himself by hand. This huge house. I mean, it's absolutely gorgeous. If you took it in Cincinnati and dropped it in Indian hal it'd be like a three million dollar house. But he lives in the middle of nowhere, so it's more like, you know, a four hundred thousand dollars house. Nonetheless, they've lived there since the late nineteen eighties, and now it's just they're they're obviously moving around a lot slower, baby steps, not big steps, they're not bounding, and they live on one floor, and it's like we're trying to convince them, yeah, you need to get in a place that's less maintenance and less work. Do they live on five acres and they're cutting grass and they're eighty It's like it's not going to end well, right, that doesn't bode well.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 9: I think people have to be honest with where they are in their stage of life. And it is hard to accept the fact that you're not as capable as you were twenty years ago. But it's also very freeing to accept that and move into a place that's kind of just want to travel and not take care of a big yard, you know, place that's lock and go if your kids have gone and you don't. You know, some people are just stay in the same house because that's the house they bought, those close to their work and to their kids' schools, and they're not going to that job and the kids aren't going to those schools, and they have a full attic. And what really bothers me more than the size of the house, God, is the stuff they think, Oh, yes, trouble, Oh we'd have to clean up the garage. Oh they got it. Oh, then there's that back bedroom. And I get very disascouraged by people who let stuff bend between themselves and their best life. And that's just no way to live your life.
Speaker 2: Why it is so hard to throw crap out. I'm pretty good about throwing crap out. You know, if it's workshop stuff, it's a different story because you know, repairing things I might need this sad and that's different than just clutter. Like my wife will love to save stuff from twenty thirty years ago. She has no intention of ever using, has no plan for it. But if I throw it out, it's the worst thing in the world. How do you break that cycle?
Speaker 9: Well, I like to edit things through a filter of need, use love, And you can't answer yes to one of those questions, it really should go. I mean, if you haven't used it in twenty years, you obviously don't need it.
Speaker 4: You probably don't love it, right.
Speaker 9: And so really think about, you know how much my shirt would be to have a closet that there's actually rumens or people that you're not not embarrassed, have turns over because your house isn't still cluttered, or you can park both cars in the garage. You know, all the visualized that opening a drawer and going, oh, it is this nice, spacious and I just think there's so much to be said for living in uncluttered, streamline, well edited life. But once you get there, that's the motivation. So find that motivation and go for it, and start in a place that's not emotional, and like the linen closet. You know, you start to get emotional about sheets and you know, and sometimes there's stuff and you're you know, you're pushing on the door to close it and open up. You know, this is a discussing's ruled on pillow. We don't need this. This is a ratty blanket with a hole in it. We don't need this. This sheep's never work, they don't fit, they pop off at.
Speaker 10: Night, they're hot, get it like the rid of So so really, you know, start there and then you're going to go, oh, this poses that's really nice and everything in it I love and use, and then you go, let's do that everywhere.
Speaker 2: Is it difficult for people in a new relationship, maybe second or third or fiftieth marriage, whatever it might be. I'm not judging to do this where it's it's not necessarily blended families, which I guess we could talk about when there's kids involved, but maybe mentioned both of those. Okay, blended families with young ones. Maybe someone has a child or children, and maybe the party doesn't, or they both do, and it's the Brady bunch, or it's just simply like, you know what, I'm divorced. I can found someone and we want to move into a place. How do you navigate that?
Speaker 9: Well, my hand is up. My husband and I both got remarried in our early fifties to each other. And how's that working on for you?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Good, Okay, it was.
Speaker 9: It was a little rocky there at first, when I'm like, I love you, honey, but your stuff not so much. And I was divorced, so I'd already given up a lot of stuff, I thought, And he was a widower, and so it didn't have, you know, anything to get everything that she had and he had and then some and so and I'm a home design columnist, right so, and my honey, I got this. I was also living home stage or I had moved six times in four years into beautiful homes and stage and to help themselves. So I only had left what I considered the crown to the crown.
Speaker 4: Of my stuff.
Speaker 9: And you know, he is like, why aren't you trying any of yourself? And here's the deal, folks, if you're moving in with someone and you have you're sharing a new place together, one house plus one house has to equal one house. So you each need to give up half a house and honestly, Scott a little bit more because you should be buying something together, like we bought a new bed. You know, I don't need to discuss why that's important. So just like owning stuff that they yours mind in hours and it is bumpy, like we went round over the dining room table like room table and it is hard. So and we also have five kids together, not unfortunately they were on their way out and more pretty well lunched. But here's the other thing, back from the beginning of our conversation, is we undershot it. At first, I'm like a few empty mesters. Let's get a great house cloth to tow and watch the restaurants. And then you know, our five kids, guess what, they go out and they find other people and they make more people and five becomes ten becomes fifteen. So we had to get a little bigger house if we wanted to have them. And I did want to be the matriarch of my family, so we wanted to be able to have, you know, a place for the kids. And now there are six grand kids and you know people we do go out and multiply, so you got to think it through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you want to think about moving into a convention center.
Speaker 9: Marnie, I'll tell you I'm gonna take over.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you negotiate giving your stuff up? Because there's things like I love this armchair I'm attached to, or this table or they you know, this big dining room table even though we don't have room for it and we don't host a lot of state dinners, but I need this dining room table that will never use for example, how do you navigate that stuff with your partner?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, if you can get them to rest away, you know, leave it. You think about what you if you can sell it and you won't get a lot for it, you know, manage your expectations right there. But maybe sell it and you and you buy something together that you love, a piece of art or a carving at an art festival, or you take a little trip together, or you do something to repurpose it. So the value of it, she says, into something memorable. And I think that really helps there's you know, a woman you know, had a bunch of her dad's neckties and there was no reason she had to have one hundred neckties. But he loved his neckties and he was a, you know, a very well dressed man, and they reminded her of him, and so she made them into had them made into a leaving like a quilt that she hangs in her office and it's beautiful and it conveyed beautifully now like she looks at it and admirers me every day. So there's a way you can convey something into something you would like and enjoy. That would be kind of a win win.
Speaker 2: Marty Jamison is a lifestyle expert Right size today to create your best life tomorrow. And of course, you know, with people who are in different stages of their lives. If you're younger and maybe it's a second marriage and maybe there's blended families and kids. Maybe you're older and empty nesters and you don't need the four or five bedrooms anymore in the pool and the basketball court, and I don't know, maybe you're older and you have health issues, arthritis, disability, or maybe just want to change the scenery. A lot of people are downsizing or what Marty's calling right sizing, which is really difficult though, because you are parting literally with years of your life. I mean, for example, our house which we've been in for over twenty years, Marnie, that's where we raised our kids. My daughter knew no other home than this one, and my son we had moved when he was I think in second or third grade. But nonetheless, it's like you have memories here, you have the good times. Hopefully a few bad times. It's a very few bad times, but mostly good times, which you do and then you realize like, wow, we don't need this space, We don't need this anymore. Someone else could better use it. But coming to that conclusion and pulling the band aid off, can you go to pass the point where it's too late though, and you're like, man, we should have sold, we should have moved, we should have downsized. I'm sure there are people that also missed that window and that opportunity and they have regret.
Speaker 9: Look, I have a couple who had a big house who had raised three children there. It was on a lake, they had a boat, they had a pool. Everybody loved the house. The kids wanted them to keep it. Forever because it was so fun to come home, and they realized the kids have moved away, they're starting to have families. They weren't able to come for long trips or long stays because they have life and jobs. And they sold that house and bought two houses, one smaller one in Florida, which is where the big house was, and one in Wisconsin, which is near their family and the new grand baby. And it worked out beautifully for them. And I think they explained to me that it took one of them. The life took longer to detach them. The husband he.
Speaker 4: Was all for.
Speaker 9: He would pick them all on that line and making THEO and you know, he was so over it, and she was, you know, attached to the memories. But now they are living their best life and you know, just try try to visualize what your life could be and and you know, stop was holding you back. But those memories are important, and I wouldn't I wouldn't take them away. But I think when you're getting rid of things, that it is facing your time and your life and your memories and your mortality and your success is and your failures and all of that. It's all there, and you know you can't just wipe that away like talk on a talkboard. But it's also important to move on. And if you're stuck in the past, you miss out on the present and certainly on your.
Speaker 3: No question, I look at it in life's about stages of Arnie.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like when I, Okay, you're born in a family, you're raised in your household, good or bed, you live there, and then at some point, when you're a young adult, you move out, and then you move around and you find your place and maybe it's an apartment or maybe it's the roommates or school, whatever it might be. And then hey, I say it, if I get my maybe I want a house, So I put a down payment on a house. Not only a lot of young people are doing that right now. Or maybe it's a nicer condo, or you just keep me on making more money. In life, you can get a little nicer place in a little nicer neighborhood, and you move up like George and Weezy, I get that whole thing, and then maybe at some point you find that special someone. It's like, okay, well do we want to live in the city, sure, or do we want to live in suburbia. Okay, we want a backyard and better schools. Let's do that. You buy a house. Okay, you're raised your kids there, so that's a different that. You know, the next stage a lot. You got different phases. It's you know, your kid in the house, and then it's your your adolescence. You're wild, you're young, and you're free, and then you're in the settle down phase. And then you're in the family phase. And then your next thing, you know, you're in the grandkid phase maybe or you're like, Okay, I'm nearing retirement. I'm on the back, you know, twenty years of my life, and I want to enjoy things. I don't want to be cutting five acres of grass. I don't want to be shoveling snow. I don't have to be worried about all of those things. I want a little bit more convenience in my life. I want to travel or golf, or just read books or sit around and eat cheetos, whatever the hell it might be. Whatever your jam is and when you retire, but we're just talking about this next phase. And maybe it's because it is I don't want to say the last phase of your life, but you know, the working, the raise in the family that work is over, I think is that the sticking point here, the fact that you're looking now at your ownmortality.
Speaker 9: A little bit. I think that definitely plays into it. But as finding out, well, first of all, the statistic in the book that people over fifty eight, half of them either get a house the same size, you can move and sell their homes and buy a new place, happen to stay in the house the same size, or a biker house. So it's not all about me, you know, But I will say you want to have my book. My book divides right saving into three parts. It's where and where in the world should you live in what? Like you said, an apartment, account on a cabin, a mansion, whatever, in what and with what? And we talk about the best things to bring along and what not to bring to surround yourself to the quality and not clutter. But the book actually has a question there because it's so multifactoral, as you point out, and you can you can ask yourself questions and leave yourself scores about the best city to live in. So you have three cities, including the one you're currently in, and you decide where in this world. Would I be the happiest? What has more? Most of what I'm looking for is a sunshine?
Speaker 4: Is it golf?
Speaker 9: Is it close to kids? Is its close to the church? Whatever? And you can actually score each place and you you'll get of the number. But I'll tell you where you should you should live in your looking for a place that's the best social, emotional, financial, and physical fits.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 9: Those four things click and then and then you go to the inn. What like whoa would it'd be better be in a town room an apartment of cottage? Is a one story you know if you figure it out? Four bitter two bitters? What do I mean? And And there's actually a little seamy bit of math involved, which is you know, basic masses all and that I can do me too, a little bit of an addition there, and and you'll you'll actually find you know, the numbers will tell you where you should go. It's kind of like a weeed board with the risk actual fact.
Speaker 2: Martie Jamison Wright size today, create your best life tomorrow. Thanks so much for the time and really insightful stuff. A lot of folks are facing this, so I appreciate coming on.
Speaker 9: Marnie fun conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Scott runs off today after the opening day, ll try again tomorrow. And speaking of Big L's, we had the brawl downtown last night in the banks and elsewhere as a group of four to five hundred people. Ken Kober told us about this that simply went from area to area causing disruptions and as soon as.
Speaker 3: The place you show up, they'd or attack the cops.
Speaker 2: As we were told, Mayor I have to have pureval issuing a statement calling this an outrage, and then his expectation is full accountability for those involved last night. Hopefully it's more than an O R bond and a slap on the risk because they're juveniles, misunderstood kids, you know him saying that we need to implement more severe crowd control restrictions downtown. Maybe a little too late. Anyway, more on this with news coming up and will we'll pick this up after twelve o'clock here on the home of the Red seven hundred w all Thebody, Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: The weekends coming up, and you need to make the most event.
Speaker 4: Where to go and what to do.
Speaker 1: She has the tips and inside to help you make it us super weekend. So listen up.
Speaker 3: This is the Local Loop with Ali mart on seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 2: Well, it kind of feels like this is like, I don't know, being a Times Square on the second day of New Year's you know what I'm saying. On January twod I'm a Times Square. We got plenty of her play. Ali Martins here at the Local Oop, and it feels like it's kind of late because yesterday we kind of blew our wad with the big party Holy Girl Banks. Of course, Mo and I and Tom Brenneman are out there live and then Willie took over and that was great. The of course, the Finley Market opening day parade in the ball game itself of the Boston Red Sox, and it just feels like yesterday was I don't know, Saturday night in the city, and I wonder for things going on anyway. Ali Martin is here on this and she can't be here in studio she often is because she's been stuck in an airport line now for the better part of four days, because she said the TSA line now is like I think it's I think you maybe by Easter the over under you actually get the board in your flight.
Speaker 3: Allison.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: You know I actually finally landed Seattle, thank goodness. But truthfully those sentiments are not wrong because prior to leadings I had thrown out on social media. Hey, everybody tell me what tamo is in regards to.
Speaker 11: What the web time is. Some people are like, yeah, walked right through. Other people like I've been here for six hours so it was a happy media.
Speaker 7: But good goodness, I'm just having Tomo from everything I know.
Speaker 4: This is that way I know that I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and weather hauled.
Speaker 2: I was great, so it couldn't have couldn't well, Yeah, but failed good voice a little uh, just a little short today, just a little short today. But it feels it does feel like January second because all the good stuff happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: Is there anything left to do this weekend?
Speaker 11: There is?
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness. Okay, first of all, this is a weekend of comedy. I don't you know, I feel like stand Up Committee. Either you love it or you don't. You're kind of feeling it, but we have coming in this weekend. Hand Burner, she's one of my favorites, the gal the Giggly Squad. Probably know who I'm talking about, but she has a podcast called Giggly Giggly Squad with a gal a partner.
Speaker 11: Cost named Pages. She all the stand up and she's.
Speaker 7: Coming into town this Saturday, March eighth, at seven o'clock at the Andrews Jay Brady Center. And then also Matt Rice, who is an Ohio boy.
Speaker 11: A lot of people know him.
Speaker 7: He's a stand up comedian. Uh, he is on a Stay Golden World tour. He's coming a Heritage Bank this weekend on Sunday. And there's another list of other comedians that are coming. But those are the two big names that really stuck out to me that I felt like we're worth talking about, and that would hits two very different audiences. So it's it's interesting.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of comedians coming into the.
Speaker 2: Well and he's coming to town. I heard he absolutely kills. It's a great set.
Speaker 11: He's coming. Yeah, I tickets for him in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Okay here I think today.
Speaker 11: Because you would have been.
Speaker 3: The April or something like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, rick Us, So it's fantastic, So I might I might have to get tickets for that.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So who doesn't have you watch stand up comedies fans? I mean, there's so many good specially see Millenie's thing on you know, HBO, Netflix, All the platforms have some summer to sort of comedy should be just Comedy Central. You get the reruns, but now hell, they're doing first runs Chapel Doda stuff all the time. He still got that Netflix contract, So there's also where it's that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Netflix has completely crushed these stand up comedy games and John Malay. Have you watched any of you give John mullaney, Have you watched any of his stand up bits?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, yeah, yeah, it's fantastic And.
Speaker 7: His story is wild, right because he he went through his drug escapade and then he went through recovery, and then listening to his story and watching his narrative and even how he presents on stage through all of that time is absolutely fascinating. So I'm excited to see his transformation for this next round. And I hope Netflix also records whatever to he's on net.
Speaker 2: I got some I got some rabbit Hole with John Mullaney, and the people were like literally stun because of his He grew up in a privile from a privileged background. He came in privilege. It's like, okay, so he had a drug pumb but what the hell was that have to do with him being funny? Like why the people who look at stuff and go, well, you know, he's privileged. He's a white privileged guy, Like okay, but he's hysterical. Yeah, but the privilege, like if that's your whole life, you know what?
Speaker 3: I take the poison pillar.
Speaker 11: Ready, amen?
Speaker 7: And you know what, the fact that that guy was able to do what he was while also on drugs, I'm sorry, I'm more impressive. He was writing for SNL and then the entire he was saying in New York when they sold that segment for Netflix, he was on drugs pretty much the entire.
Speaker 3: Te Absolutely, that must be No drugs make you funnier.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but you got to be really tallenged to remember and true out.
Speaker 9: The jabber.
Speaker 2: I mean, hell yeah, I mean And you know, comedy when they had when I was much younger, obviously in the eighties, like you had Kinnison and Dice and all these big name performers, and they were all they're all cooked up the whole time. The shows are actually aren't that good. So that's a good point that it could be that funny when they're when when he's on something. We also have this weekend is the Cincinnati Auto Expo.
Speaker 3: Are you're familiar?
Speaker 7: We co am I familiar?
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 11: I'm a car girley.
Speaker 3: No you're a motorcycle girly.
Speaker 11: Well not now because I gotta get my license again.
Speaker 3: Thank you to the bagger at Kroger US so much.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that club medicine is really working.
Speaker 2: Well that's fine. Nothing to see here.
Speaker 7: Well though, Yeah, they don't have many motorcycles there have. When was the last time you've been to an auto expo?
Speaker 2: I went to the Cinciato Expert I think, I want to say, right before right after COVID.
Speaker 7: So what is your plan of attack when you walk through the convention center doors? Because it can be overwhelming and all of a sudden, I think that I need to be driving home every Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I know, well, you know what, you know what the best part is, Like the entirety is going to be mind blowing because it's the Duke Energy Convention Center, right or what the artist formerly knows the Duke Energy Convention Center. I guess, but I don't know what's gonna So you have the new convention center smell with the new car smell.
Speaker 3: What do you think that's going to be like.
Speaker 2: It's like a bad candle, all the off gassing from the from the plastics of all that. But that smell of like you walk in a dealership marker car and that smell it's a tire smells what it is, a new tire smell and maybe a little bit of you know, polish. And also the models smell a little bit like glitter. So you've got all those things going on, you know.
Speaker 7: I'm are you a fan of the new car smell? Because some people if people tell me that they're not, I'm like, I love it, and I would be curious if somebody has fun a test on what brand has the longest lasting new cars.
Speaker 11: I'm sure part of it is.
Speaker 7: Like life, So how do you take care of your car, you know after throwing a bunch of chicken tenders and chicken nuggets and your car for McDonald's. It's not gonna do it, but just curious and that.
Speaker 2: It's a good smell when you that's as clean as it gets too, it smells absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 7: Having I don't know, and maybe if you're having an identity crisis, this is what you need to do, is we can look at some convertibles, because it actually started yesterday, so Thursday through Sunday at runs pretty.
Speaker 11: Much all day.
Speaker 7: It stops at sixt on Sunday, but runs until nine o'clock today and tomorrow, and you're gonna see from all four days crossovers, eed, hybrids, SUV trucks, like twenty three different brands, a little bit of everything. And what's been interesting is, I don't know if you have been following these trends of what is being researched in the car world these days, but because everything's going on in the world, there's been a third looking.
Speaker 11: At evs more all right, all right.
Speaker 7: So who knows if you're looking at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and it's cool to see.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, but I love this carla or I don't like that, and it's just and kids love cars to running around and they're swagged, they give you and all that stuff, and so yeah, it starts. I actually started yesterday, as a matter of fact, today till nine and rest of the weekend for that matter, at the Cincinnati Auto X But tickets are pretty cheap. Half price admission today as a matter of fact, So yeah, not bad at all, although I will you know, here's the thing. I'll stream shows and for some reason, yesterday I was watching something and every commercial was for a de Or cologne, Like, I watch those Colonne ads are stupid.
Speaker 3: I like people swim into.
Speaker 2: Flowers that are on a fire, and guy weird at French accents, like who's this appeal to?
Speaker 3: You know, if you made a cologne that smell like a new car, I'd be in.
Speaker 7: It's also always the sexiest person that you could ever possibly, like nobody's.
Speaker 11: Walked around with a four.
Speaker 7: Packs somehow, Like is that a I know, I have absolutely no idea.
Speaker 2: Only only time you use French there it's colomb What else we got going on?
Speaker 4: Girl?
Speaker 7: Oh we have going I feel like you would appreciate this one. So this is a very kid friendly thing in an event, but it's called Big dig n Ky. This is a chance for kids to kind of go and operate and be hands on new machinery.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it's this Saturday tomorrow. That's a Boone County Fairground in Burlington. It's only ten dollars to go. It's ten am to four pm. So if you have a little one that just you know has one of those those you know, little construction, you know, tractor tailors or whatever. This could be something fun to take it. Yeah, like we'll bob the builder and it's your chance to go and climb and dig and explore on all of these really big machines. And I feel like if you're a little one and you love that, it would be a dream come true.
Speaker 2: So hell, I know people, you know, people my age love to do that. What are you talking about?
Speaker 11: Are you going to go?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not.
Speaker 2: There were like I got a bump a kid that that would be a bad It's like stealing a home run ball away from a kid at JBP yesterday. So it's just not a good look. But I'll tell you what, I think, it's wonderful. And in some of the trades organizations involved with is we really need to push that more. Is like the hands on your touch a truck today. Touch a truck is a big thing. You let kids do that firsthand. It's like they say, Wow, this is cool. I've loved this job. And that's how you, you know, break down that barrier because you know, have you equipment opertors still in demand and they make really really good money and you get to you get to play with big toys. It's it's pretty cool. So I just want to write what kind of it? Because you know, you get a pile of rocks and you just you know, here, here's the controls, and help the kid move it from point A to point B. And next kid, you move from B to A. And I mean, you're doing stuff that's pretty cool. How the some of the things that they have, I'd love to play with. You ever see on the side of the highway where Odak comes through and there's like, I don't honeysuckle or whatever grown along the side of seventy one or seventy five, and it is like it's like a giant circular saw blade on an R And it's just I would love to do that to some people.
Speaker 7: I know, I want to see like all of the fleet of machinery that our city uses like that even a snowfall. Every time it snows. I'm like, it's like to just be rolling around and have the power to clear the streets, salt the streets, and you're like you're creating that path, Like that's gotta be kind of cool.
Speaker 2: You yep, you know what, you know what this this it costs way too How about a heavy equipment fantasy camp. That's what you go for a week and you just play with all this stuff.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm sure, Hey, maybe you should propose it to THEE.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this sounds like this is your next career.
Speaker 3: My god, I love this stuff? Are you kidding me? I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I've got a project that I can do at my house and I can't wait to run a backo. I can't wait.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what type of of you?
Speaker 7: I mean, you're so hay right putting houses and doing all the things and pulling weeds and bushes. What type of excavation tools?
Speaker 3: And I have used?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've used the loaders, I've used back hoos, I've used bulldozers, I have used obviously, stump grinders, chainsaws, But as far as drivable I haven't. I haven't really needed a dump truck yet. And that's more like I'll dump stuff. Somebody else will do that. But yeah, when it comes to loaders and bobcats and things.
Speaker 4: Like that, I'm on in man junior license.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean not driving on the street. It's in your yard. Commercially you do, yeah, but you gotta you know, there's safety precautions. You just got to be, can't be too stupid with But man, they are fun. They are fun.
Speaker 7: They look like now that I have actual lections together, I'm down. I'm not a lia ability anymore.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta run.
Speaker 2: Actually, in the next few weeks, I actually run a something to excavate with, so not too big but big enough anyway. It's a lot of fun. I may even take days off to do it. That's how much of a freak I am with this stuff. Anything else in do you have anything that's not alcohol related, because I think we're good after yesterday?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Actually you probably need a little bit of caffeine. And here's a little insight. This is kind of just a side unting if you are shopping specifically around Kroger, but one of the crowd favorite local coffee shops. I don't know if you've heard of Mominam Coffee and Waingma's.
Speaker 2: That's a Gary Burbank thing. Gary Burbank they, I guess maybe we talked about this one time. The owners of the say, what do we call it? They call it Mominum because yeah, that was a Gary Burbank sketch from way back in the day when he was on here on seven hundred ww and they turned it into a coffee brand.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, that was that was us, Yeah, because the Ferrari brothers also named it after their mom and then that also segment of the hundred.
Speaker 11: But they have two spots in.
Speaker 7: Madisonville and one in Camp Washington. But it's been success and it really is become a staple spot in these communities. And he're in Cincinnati, but they decided to start to can't some of their cold brew and they have a Franklin Coconut cold brew which they have just they're currently testing at two of the local Kroger. Yeah, so that's a pretty big deal. And I feel like there's this huge trend of getting energy drinks and you know, pre made coffee caffeine items was one of those things that just really spotted spotted me and said, hey, you know, let's talk about it because if you could.
Speaker 11: Support local, you might as well.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 7: One days like today where you might need a little extra caffeine.
Speaker 2: Okay, good so Hyde Park and Oakley Kroger's, I think is where I thought I saw yeah available, So stop on by anyway, all right, I know you got to get on a flight here I appreciate you coming in and you know, doing this remotely from where you Seattle, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I'm here for the a VP spernament I actually played today.
Speaker 3: Oh oh are you going to playing?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: I actually don't know the broadcasters. You're very jazzed because I worked Saturday Sunday.
Speaker 3: I gotcha.
Speaker 11: We'll see where we want.
Speaker 2: All right, well, maybe she'll be on the tour. Who knows our good friend Ali Martin this Friday morning. It's the local loop at Ali Martin eight. And of course the good drama. The license videos are fantastic and she is going back to get her driver's license because it expired and the bagger I love that. So that's all there in motorcycle endorsement. Now she's got to work on anyway, that's on YouTube, but the good drama. Thanks, have a great trip, Love you to talk to you next week.
Speaker 3: Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: There you go, Ali Martin means the weekend is here and we've got baseball back right here in Cincinnati, Ohio. It's the home of the Red seven hundred WLWD sincenat