Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: We are joined right now by the NLCS MVP of twenty twenty four. They call him Tommy Tanks, but he's finally active for the twenty sixth season. Tommy, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: It's been been a too long, been a couple of months that I haven't gotten to play, and you know, just been best cheerleader I can be, and now I get to actually contribute.
Speaker 2: I was concerned about you wandering in Oklahoma City for forty days and forty nights. How did you survive?
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of a lot of prayer and meditation, you know, but yeah, I know it was it was fun.
Speaker 3: You know, it was fun to just get back to playing again.
Speaker 1: They've got a great group of guys down there, a lot of good players, and you know, it was just fun to get back to playing baseball again.
Speaker 2: Tommy, this ankle has bothered you since before you were traded to the Dodgers. To finally have it taken care of and behind you, is that somewhat of a relief more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's kind of obviously something that I've dealt with the past two years. So getting the surgery was a tough decision because I knew I was going to be out for a little bit. But you know, after speaking with the doctor, you know, we kind of determined that it was gonna have a high success and high probability of getting back to one hundred percent. So, you know, I just decided to go through with it, and you know, it's feeling great now. It took maybe a little bit longer than I expected, but you know, I'm back to feeling feeling normal again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How long has it been since you felt normal? Can you put a time on how long that's been?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know I had a stretch last year, like the beginning of the season where I felt pretty good until I sprained it again end of April and before that, kind of going back to the twenty four season when I sprained it for the first time.
Speaker 2: Will you wear a brace like you were before the surgery? Are you pretty confident this thing is strong enough to hold up?
Speaker 3: I'm confident strong enough. I'll still wear a brace.
Speaker 1: Last year, I had to tape it up pretty heavily, and I won't have to do that this time.
Speaker 3: Around, just just kind of a regular brace.
Speaker 2: You played a handful of games at a lot of different positions in the minor leagues. On this rehab appearance, when you come back to the starting lineup, do you feel like second.
Speaker 3: Base is the spot? Are you prepared.
Speaker 2: To play all those positions that you did before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talked to the guys and sounds like I'll bounce around a decent amount.
Speaker 3: I think I'm at third base tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'll play second obviously as well, and then mix it in the outfield as well. But you know, that's kind of what what I've expected and come to expect over my career is just filling in wherever needed, and you know, playing a bunch of different.
Speaker 2: Spots, which's been the most challenging part of all this.
Speaker 1: I think just patients, you know, just with surgery, you know a lot of times it doesn't go It's not a super linear progression, so you know, just having some ups and downs, and you know, just having the faith that it.
Speaker 3: Was going to be going to get back to one hundred percent eventually, and just.
Speaker 1: Having the patience to let the whole process play out.
Speaker 2: When guys go through an injury and a surgery like this, They say physically to get over the hump is one part of the equation, but the bigger part is the mental hurdle to trust that the injury the ankle is going to be able to do what you wanted to do and trust that it's not going to get injured again. What point did you have that trust in your ankle that you could have it do the old Tommy Edmond type of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's why it was good to have a three week rehab assignment because you're definitely a little tentative the first week getting back to playing baseball again, going full speed around bases, and then by the third week, I definitely felt totally comfortable, you know, especially a rounding basis, because that's that's how I ended up doing it the second time last year in August, So you know, it definitely got a lot better in the first couple of weeks, and then by the time the third week came around, I felt totally normal.
Speaker 2: When you have to focus on getting this ankle through surgery and recovery, how much does that take away from the baseball preparation for a season? And d you feel like you've gotten enough of that to be ready for the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, fortunately, pretty early on in the process, I was able to take swings, so I was able to get a good amount of hitting in before I actually went out to play game. It was pretty much just like the running and cutting standpoint that I wasn't able to do at the very beginning. So you know, just getting back to game action that was, uh, you know, that was kind of the big step, just the unpredictability of you know, what might happen during a game, whether it's a weird play on defense or a weird play on the base paths. So I think just getting comfortable with that was a was really important for me in these last few weeks. And you know, I had some interesting scenarios kind of come up where I had to you know adjust and and you know, do some quick change of direction, and you know, I felt good with those, So I passed that.
Speaker 2: Step without you Pat has never collided with k.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. Absolutely saved the World Series.