Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again, Rigera running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase live at Chase Field. After the Dodgers lose for the seventh straight time, four to three, the final score tonight as Ryan Waltschmidt hits a walk off two run home run against Edwin Diaz and the Dodgers fit to be tied again tonight as they fall for the first game of this.
Speaker 1: Three game series.
Speaker 2: Arizona now has beaten them five straight times. Remember Arizona swept the Dodgers at Dodgers State going into the All Star break, and they continue to push forward. They're one of those hotter National League teams that has worked their way into the playoff picture. Right now, they would be the number six seed in the postseason brackets. The Dodgers are number three now the three seed after Milwaukee and Atlanta have passed them for the two best records in the National League. But look, the Dodgers can't worry about that. They got to worry about themselves. They got to find a way to pick themselves up. And I know they've played more games than any other team the last two years. I know it's the dog days of August. I know they had a large lead, still do seven and a half games, still a pretty comfortable lead. But as you've seen in the American League East with the Red Sox, as you have seen in the n NOL Central with the Cubs, those leads can go away pretty quickly if you have a hot team that catches real fire and you're playing mediocre baseball. And that's what the Dodgers are doing right now. They're playing mediocre. And I know it's not sexy to talk about. I know it's not a hot take, but if you go back to the first series after the All Star break up until tonight, the Dodgers have been a very bad base running team. And when you can score runs and you're running into outs on the bases, that only compounds all of that. Tonight, sho Hao Tani caught stealing. Where's he going? Why is he going anywhere? I thought he had a bad left knee. He should stay at first base. Although I felt like he was safe, it was a bad call and not enough to overturn it. So look, I'm not against him stealing bases, but I just don't see the purpose in that situation. Tommy Edman picked off first base with Sho Haotani in the hole, I mean, what was that about. In the sixth inning, Hunter Fiducia singles Otan walks, you could have had something in that inning if Tommy Edmond doesn't get picked off. So those are the type of things that are happening. And also in the seventh inning, Mookie Betts was very fortunate to score in that inning because he got a bad read on a hard sinking line drive by Kyle Tucker that got by Kittel Marte. I mean, that ball was not going to be caught. It was hitting the ground one way or the other. Mookie needed to go to third and probably should have scored once it got through the infield. And speaking of Kyle Tucker, a bad read on a flare by Miguel Rojas to center field you got to hear the sound of the bat. You gotta have a better idea who's in center field, where that center field fielder is playing, and you got to read the ball. I know, when you're down on the field, the game is a lot faster than what it is up here in the press box. But come on, we Kyle Tucker again. We heard was a good base runner. We haven't seen that. And in fact, Kyle Tucker and Shoe a Otani are probably the two biggest culprits for making as many bad base running mistakes and outs since the All Star break. Eight nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we have. Phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. And look, my point is the defense has been lackluster, the base running has been atrocious, the at bat quality has been poor during this seven game losing streak.
Speaker 1: Ti Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows what I think about Tioscar Hernandez, But in Chicago that last game of the series, horrible at bats. Tonight, horrible at bats. I just don't know what's going through his mind in those situations, especially in the seventh inning where he swings at the first pitch and pops up to the second basement.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Where the focus is at that point in time, or what the thought process the plan is at that point in time, but look, these are the ebbs and flows of a season.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers lost seven in a row last.
Speaker 2: Year as well. The bullpen was a big part of it last year. They are a big part of it this year too. The bullpen era has been close to six over the last few weeks, so tonight no different. Tanner Scott, I thought he should have been throwing more fastballs up and into Nolan Aeronato.
Speaker 1: There was no reason for that at bat to get to ten pitches.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the game plan was with Ben Roardfred and Mark Pryor, but a little too many sliders for me from Tanner Scott and too many sliders from Edwin Diaz. I know that's his money pitch, but it hasn't been there. He was getting strikes and swings and misses with his fastball, and I just think you have to work from there. But certainly a frustrating loss for the Dodger They've lost seven in a row. They're seven and a half games ahead of Arizona in the NL last and look, they better come ready to play these next two games, because as you saw tonight, the Diamondbacks are not backing down.
Speaker 1: They're not conceding anything.
Speaker 2: And a lot of these same Diamondbacks were those Diamondbacks in twenty twenty three that swept the Dodgers. So the intimidation factor is not there. Let's head downstairs right now to hear for manager Dave Roberts on Sports at LA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's a loss is a loss, but to get walked off all never feels good. You know. We didn't play a clean game, a great game on either side of the baseball, but we did enough to you know, put ourselves in a position to win a game, and unfortunately we couldn't finish it.
Speaker 6: What did you see just from Edwin in that final at that he talked about just how the slider there wasn't wasn't there tonight? What are you seeing from him right now as he manages kind of getting coming off the aisle.
Speaker 5: I think that's about right. I thought the fastball was good, I thought the fastball life was good, but the slider just isn't, you know, having much effect, and you know he left one close to Walschmidt. Yeah, and he hit a homer. But and I think that he just hasn't had the feel for that pitch since he's got back. But you know, fastball seems to be getting better command of it the life of it, but the slider or something that you know, you got to have something go left and get swing or miss with that pitch too.
Speaker 7: So agree that it's.
Speaker 3: Been so shaky for him, especially with that pitch so far this year.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's it's obviously it sucks to go through it. He's working hard to kind of figure some things out, but you know, it's one of those things that it is a little bit tougher when you're trying to work through it and you're at the back end of a game and you don't have that feel for your you know, your best secondary pitch and you're essentially your only secondary pitch. So it doesn't feel good. But I know that the track record, he's working hard, he's not going to run from it, and it's one of those things that you've got to kind of throw them into it. No one, he's healthy and he's been there and kind of work his way out of it.
Speaker 8: I mean, he stated would him in our closer situation when he came to that, and you read thinks that we had at all with.
Speaker 5: The results, Well, I think that there's you know, a couple of games that he's closed, there's been safe situations, some games that he hasn't because he needed work and we had a full run lead. I think honestly is that you also got to look at the options and see the way some of these guys are throwing. They're not throwing great either, you know, so we got to keep kind of keeping guys in their roles that they've earned and trying to laying guys up and try to get them kind of getting on a run back the way we were a few weeks ago. So yeah, I just don't think right now there's a clear cut alternative.
Speaker 2: All right, There's manager Dave Roberts, after a disappointing loss, a walk off to run home run by the number nine hitter Ryan Waltschmidt to walk off the Dodgers and beat Edwin Diaz four to three. Eight sixty six nine eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones and we'll hear from Edwin Diaz at the bottom of the hour. Let's go out to Culver City. Greg, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Greg, Hey say, I'm doing all right normally I'm blast half fool and I don't even want to talk about Edwin Diaz. He's getting back to right.
Speaker 9: You know, he's got to do what he's got to do, find his group.
Speaker 3: But two things I know you would call on her big box guys, at least you Rocky Colin has the boxing show. But the only way to knock a champ out is they have to make a mistake.
Speaker 9: And the Dodgers are making literally every mistake possible right now.
Speaker 3: More or less, they're like coming out to the center of the ring and leaving their hands at their waists and saying like they means and you can't even touch on the multiple I want to say circus ten errors in the outfield today where Tao miss readings, flyballs over his head, Andy Potts throwing the ball against the wall.
Speaker 10: On a you know, giving a guy an extra base.
Speaker 9: It just seems like they expect to win when they show up, and I think that's a good thing because in October we trying to have a swagger that just they turn it on, But right now it just looks like they don't there. And I'm speaking as a passionate fan, I understand that. And then the other thing I want to speak on is age. Freddie Freeman is like my hero in terms of baseball. He's the only guy that seems to go out there and give the most consistent effort game after game after game after game.
Speaker 3: Is there a guy in that locker room that you know that can kind of maybe just gat these guys around and call like, hey, like what's going on? Because it just seems like since the the Seattle series they've just kind of taken a long break.
Speaker 2: And I don't think it Isn't that why they signed or one of the reasons they signed Kyle Tucker. He was supposed to be the youthful guy that could pick these guys up that have played more games than any other group of players the last two years, and he just hasn't done that. And you're missing let's not forget, you're missing Will Smith and you're now missing Dalton Rushing. So that's a big hole in your lineup. So those are contributing factors. But I agree with you ta Oscar Hernandez. He was not He was not engaged tonight. He played one of the worst games I have seen him play in a Dodger uniform tonight for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: But hopefully that changes tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And look, like I said, these guys have the proven track records, so I'm not want to overreact. But at some point, like you said, you can't just show up and expect to win. You're going to have to find a way to bring the focus and energy to try to win that game.
Speaker 1: And we didn't see that tonight.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 9: And this reminds me of the Lakers when they run the three t years. Every game they had they had to slug it out right.
Speaker 3: They start slow, and then the second half of the game they come back and win. The difference is they had Shat Toby and generational guys that were in their prime. Dodgers have a lot of great talent, but you know a lot of these guys are old. They can't get up for every game, and it's a hundred and sixty two eighty two, So this is reminiscent of that, and I just hope they can turn it on, and I'm optimistic once Snell comes back, plast Snow gets back, maybe Olshani comes back. It's different, but Roki deserves better. Tonight he pitched the hell of the game and he kept us in the game. Honestly, our defense, Hey, the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers, the Dodger dudes of starting pitchers, they've done their job. The offense just has been lacking insistency and quite honestly, some unity. I mean, it feels like a very disconnected lineup. Nobody's moving the runners over, nobody's given up those team at bats, and that's that's contributing to the offense not doing their job. Great call, Greg, hang in there. I guarantee the Dodgers will win another game this year.
Speaker 3: I hope so too. Thanks man, take it easy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Greg, Thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think all those things are contributing to the Dodgers on the verge of losing eight in a row for the first time since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: Say they're old, because when they were up thirteen fourteen games, nobody was saying they were old. But I will say this, there are a lot of miles on them. Physically, mentally. The Dog Days of August get a lot of teams, but this one's a lot different. I feel like they're feeling the weight of the Dog Days of August more than any other team out there because of the miles they have on their bodies the last two years. And yeah, you got Mookie Bets at thirty three, tai Oscar Hernandez thirty three, Freddie Freeman's thirty six, going on thirty seven. So yeah, these guys are are a little bit older. I'm not going to say they're old, but yeah, when it doesn't when it looks like it looked like tonight, you're going to say they looked old. But I'm not ready to concede that. And I feel like these guys. I don't think you want these guys playing their best in August. You want them playing their best in September. Let's go out to Laguna Neguel. Ralph, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field.
Speaker 7: Hi, Ralph, Yes, sir, thank you, Please lead me you get this out. I know by the time I get it out, you'd probably say you're ridiculous. I've been a Dodger fan since thankteen fifty five, I see what I see, and this is my recommendations. When Bestco's moved to shortstop, it burned them out. In my opinion, Tucker and Tioscar Hernando should be platooned in left field. Bet you go to right field, remain there for the rest of the season. He'll have more peace out there. He should. He should be batting ninth permanently for the rest of the year in front of Tony. Maybe they can feed off of each other and the shortstop. The second should be hitting n I bet you should be batting ninth for the rest of the year. He's the worst sater on the team.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want him hitting ninth with the way he's swinging the bat this year, because you want kind of a pseudo second leadoff hitter to get on base and turn the lineup over. If he continues to struggle as we get closer to the postseason, if it looks like this more than the four hit game in Chicago two days ago, I think hitting eighth is definitely a realistic possibility.
Speaker 7: Well, well, he's BET's right handed, and he could bet it's a right handed bat.
Speaker 1: You don't. But the point is Ralph if you're saying I'm playing along.
Speaker 2: With Ralph, I'm agreeing with you. He has not had a good offensive season. You don't want a guy with an on base percentage of two ninety hitting ninth because they don't get on base, they don't turn the lineup over.
Speaker 1: What else you got for me before we move on?
Speaker 7: What about moving Vets back to right field and platooning Tucka and Siosta Anders.
Speaker 1: And that's not happening, Ralph.
Speaker 2: But I will agree with you, no matter how much anybody tells us, shortstop is not demanding. It is the most demanding position. So he's not going back to right field. He's playing really good shortstop, so you know he's contributing to the team in that way. So no, he's not going back to right field. Thank you for the phone call, appreciate it. That's just the reality of it. I mean people that call in and say Mookie should go back to right field the last two years, yeah, I guess there's an argument to be made last year more than this year, but it's not happening. He's playing really good defense at shortstop and at the very least that's what he's bringing to the table this year.
Speaker 1: Five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 2: Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks tonight, four to three.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Sacramento. Tristan, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: How you doing, Tristan, Hey, good ba say Man, thank you for answering my phone call. Honestly, I just got off work. I'm I'm blown away by that game. I was watching the eighth inning. I saw Tanner Scott struggling. I thought after he made it through that eighth inning that the game would for sure be done, especially with Diez being backed. But Basay, I know you get this every night. I have the hardest time watching Kyle Hooker play with the Dodgers. My brother was an advocate for wanting to sign him. I just can't watch the guy anymore. I just can't do it. I feel like he needs a couple of days out, like days off, like maybe get Key k out in right field. I mean, and I know, I'm sorry, David. You hear this every night, but it's just getting harder and harder to watch Kyle Tucker and a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 2: Tristan, let me ask you a question. Last year, did Michael Confordo play every game? Virtually in left field all the way through the end of the regular season. Yes, I mean, so the Dodgers won the West with Michael confordo and left field. Do you really believe that they're going to make a change or bench Kyle Tucker. He's gonna be out there until the end of the regular season, and I just feel like the Dodgers are kind of need him to be better than what he has been. And look, they have so many great outfielders in the minor leagues. Why wouldn't they consider calling one of those guys up to take some of those at bats if it keeps going this way, and you know, maybe see if one of these young kids can spark them down the stretch and maybe even consider them for a postseason Russ spot.
Speaker 1: I would like to see it.
Speaker 2: And for those that say josuay To Paula's defense is not good, well, are we seeing really good defense in the corners this year? I'm not seeing it from Tucker and we're certainly not seeing it from Taoscar Hernandez. So why not call him up and see if his back can play better than either one of those two this year? I mean, Taylor, I have backed ta Oscar Hernandez and I still believe he's gonna play a big part in the Dodgers October. But it's been a very average season at best for Taoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 11: Hey, I totally agree with you guys, say, I think ta Oscar is somebody that people overlook completely. I think he's somebody that has made a tremendous difference for the Dodgers. And I agree. I think Kyle Tucker somebody you know we're gonna want to play, but you know, maybe just giving the guy a couple of nights off and just having a kik or like you're even saying de Paula, just bring him up obviously, maybe next month or something when the roster expands. But I just it's just getting hard to watch sometimes. And I know it's a long season. I know there's a lot of pressure when you come to LA, but just getting difficult. And then the one other question I had for you by say, and I know, I'm sorry I'm picking up a lot of your time, but Otani going to see the guy?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 11: Are we ever gonna see the guy pitch again?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: I mean, what what is the inside scoop? Like I get he's got the knee problems, but he's he's making all these crazy runs on the bases. I say, like, what are we gonna see him pitch again this year or not?
Speaker 12: I just.
Speaker 1: Kind of running out.
Speaker 2: Time is kind of running out on Otani pitching because I haven't seen him play catch.
Speaker 1: We haven't.
Speaker 2: Number one, you gotta play catch before you start even considering a bullpen session.
Speaker 1: So uh, I feel like if.
Speaker 2: He does pitch in September, it's going to be a rehab assignment on the major league level, like what we saw last year, where he starts out throwing one inning and then the next time too, and so on. But time's running out to be built up for five or six innings, So you know, I don't know if that serves a purpose other than being able to at least pitch two or three innings to start a game and get you know what, nine outs, maybe twelve outs. I would be up for that in a postseason game if he can give the Dodgers that.
Speaker 1: But I think the days of.
Speaker 2: Him going six innings this season they're dwindling. If he doesn't get off the mound here in the next week or so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I think I totally agree. I think, honestly, even if we could get him, like you're saying, for two or three innings to start a game, I think any team would take that. I mean, the guy's stuff is great. I just it's just getting interesting to see because I know, like you're saying, he's not playing catch, they haven't really talked about it too much, and then he's kind of running crazy.
Speaker 1: On the basis.
Speaker 11: So just like kind of a big question mark in my mind. I know we got scooball now, but I feel like Otani is a very crucial guy that we could be having pitched. So it'd be interesting to see, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Tristan, thanks for the phone call, A good phone call.
Speaker 2: We've had a couple of good ones here, which I would say is a big win streak for me, even though the Dodgers have lost seven in a row. But look, uh, I we just need Otani to be Otani at the plate. That's first and foremost, especially while he's not pitching. That's the guy the Dodgers need, the guy we saw in Chicago.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: You don't need two home runs every night, but you need quality at bats, you need timely hitting, and you need a guy using the bigger part of the field. Uh, if they get that back, then the offense is going to be in a better spot than what it has been. But uh, the Dodgers certainly need production from guys like Kyle Tucker and Mookie Bets and quite honestly, Max Munsey's been in a little bit of a slump as well.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of guys in the slump right now.
Speaker 2: Next month season of slump, Mookie Bets, Kyle Tucker, Ti, Oscar hernandez h We're talking about half the lineup here that the Dodgers count on. But it's not gonna last forever. In the case of Tucker and Mooki, the Dodgers are waiting for them to come come out of uh what has been a subpar season for both those guys at the plate. Eight six six, two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out when we continue more of your phone calls, and we'll also hear from Edwin Diaz who surrendered a walk off to run a home run to what's his name? Oh yeah, Ryan Waldschmidt, the number nine hitter for Arizona, walks it off against the Dodgers four to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 12: Dodgers fans, this is Mookie Betts.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the home of the back to back world champion Dodgers on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: And facing going to see and Andy swings.
Speaker 1: It's a high drive. Dave Plt failed.
Speaker 2: Way backing down the home run for Pies on the first pitch of the eighth and the Dodgers take their first lead of.
Speaker 1: The ball game.
Speaker 2: It is three to two on a towering shot by Piz.
Speaker 1: Home run number nineteen.
Speaker 2: Andy Piz gave the Dodgers something a smile about in the eighth inning. Unfortunately, it was short lived, as Edwin Diaz gives up a walk off two run home run to Ryan Waltschmidt and the Dodgers fall to Arizona Tonight by a final score of four to three. Daniels Jewelers they present the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel Jewelers own the Dream eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 1: We have one line open.
Speaker 2: I know Dodger fans are concerned over this seven game losing streak, and look, it hasn't been pretty, but I will say this to put it into context. How the Dodgers got here with this seven game losing streak.
Speaker 1: Number one, they have.
Speaker 2: Played two of the hottest teams in baseball, the Boston Red Sox, who continue to roll on they won again tonight, and also the Chicago Cups, who are now just four and a half games back of the Brewers in the n NOW Central. Go back to that Red Sox series, they had a bullpen game on Friday night, Yamamoto pitched eight innings, got no run support, and then on that Sunday game Sunday Night Baseball, Emma Chian, who has had a disappointing year and was sent down after that game, pitch.
Speaker 1: For the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: So they really didn't have their quote guys pitching in that series, and that kind of hurt them.
Speaker 1: And then you look at the CUB series.
Speaker 2: Justin Robleski struggled, gave up four home runs. School Bowl was very unlucky to give up two earned runs and the Dodger offense non existent, and then that final game of the series, the Dodger offense didn't come to life until it was too late and they lost to the Cubs seven to six. Look, you're not gonna win many games giving up seven runs.
Speaker 1: So the Dodgers pitching, there's a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more to the story than what the record shows. I mean, there's reasons why they're losing. And like I mentioned, poor defense, poor base running, poor at back quality tonight maybe the worst I've seen during this seven game losing streak. So those are the reasons why we are where we are. Not to mention, the Dodger bullpen has not been very good. Alex Vesia has labored. You know, Will kleinb when he was active, was laboring Tanner Scott hasn't looked the way he has looked all season long, and of course Edwin Diaz just hasn't been Edwin Diaz before the surgery or after the surgery. Edwin Diaz spoke to the media on sports net LA after giving up the walk off to run home run to Arizona's number nine hitter, Ryan walt Schmidt.
Speaker 13: I think the slider, I think fastball was great today. I just you know, I missed the slider right in the middle and payoff. So I gotta, you know, find a way to throw my side better as I feel better patios and if I do, that would be better.
Speaker 6: Is it just the feel of that pitch that you think is missing. Are you feeling it in the bullpens or you just think in general that's the pitch you're still working on.
Speaker 13: I think I'm just trying to be perfect with that patient. I'm just missing randomadal. You know, I gotta be better of that. You know, I'm a big ley pitcher, so I gotta make patience. So next time when I come to the game, I gotta do better rush obviously, so working off some cally off surgery, is that something that slider shape maybe comes a little bit later for you you know, I think for everything, but by being done, it's been good, you know, But when I get to the game, I don't know why I'm missing my slider right in the middle.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 13: I think, like I said, my fab today was great. You know, I just made one mistake on payoff. So next time, like I said, when I came to that ding, I just got to make my pitch it better and have this thing to win or a delivery or where are you n I think my delivery was better today than than normal. I was missing up.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 13: My last start was my fellow was side to side. Today was better. Just you know, try to figure it out on you know, I trust my cashers, you know, on, throw my teammates, I throw everyone in the pitching coaches on. But we figured it out. And see what what's going on?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: There's Edwin Diaz on sports Net LA and look, it's really hard to try to figure things out with the game on the line in the ninth inning. And that's why, you know, I'm starting to lean towards Jose Motives side of things that maybe Edwin Diaz needs to figure these things out in the seventh inning, maybe not necessarily the ninth inning. But Dave Roberts was pretty candid with his answer that he doesn't really have anybody else he wants throwing the ninth inning at this point in time. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers lose to the Diamondbacks four to three tonight. Let's go out to Eagle Rock. Michael you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Michael?
Speaker 8: Hey, dB, He's doing okay. I had to call in and talk to the Snell Villa whisperer. What can you what you're feeling on?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 8: With Snell coming back on Tuesday, is he gonna be as dominant for us as he was last year?
Speaker 9: Going forward?
Speaker 1: I think he will be.
Speaker 2: Michael, And I'm not just saying that because I am the Snell Zilla Whisperer, no doubt about it. But uh, he said that his arm feels better than it has in three years.
Speaker 1: You know, the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: He would get numbness in his fingers and that was due to the bone chips in his left elbow, and now he can feel his fingers. He said, his range of motion is better than where it has been in two years to be able to execute his curveball.
Speaker 1: So so I really do.
Speaker 2: Trust that he is going to pitch as well as he did for the Dodgers down the stretch and in October. But I will say this, Michael, he needs to build equity back up with you and the rest of the fan base because he has made more rehab starts than he has major League starts with the Dodgers, and he just needs to build that equity with this fan base because I know you don't care about what he did in Tampa. I know you don't care about what he did in San Diego. You care about what he did in the postseason last year. And that's what matters in the here and now. And the Dodgers need him, that's for sure.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he can.
Speaker 8: He can take all the time he wants if he pitched his like he did last October again, and I think we just got to get one of these first round buys and it's gonna be tough to beat him. Scoogle and Yamamoto and hopefully glass Awan O'tani in a in a series. So that's all I had.
Speaker 9: DV.
Speaker 1: Thanks for your time, No, thank you.
Speaker 2: Eight six six eight seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Calabasas.
Speaker 1: Michael. You're on Dodger Talk. How you do on Michael.
Speaker 10: Doing well?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 10: Got one question? The Dodgers were like middle of pack last year hitting into double plays. This year it seems like it's just though they're leading the league easily in that and.
Speaker 2: Ninety seven rounded into double plays this year. Michael you know your baseball ninety seven and the Dodgers have the fewest stolen bases in baseball forty four. So I'll I'll just jump you right here and say, yes, I want to see the Dodgers put more runners in put emotion to avoid those double plays, especially when you have Mookie Beds at the plate, who has grounded into the second most double plays on the team. I think if Freddy Freeman's on base, you got to put him in motion because Mookie's swinging and he's hitting the ball on the ground a lot this year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, even show Hayes ground ball rates up this year, and it just seems like we're swinging a little bit over it and I'm just watching small Pete Rose things like step one, step up in the plate, get a little bit under it, Like these are just killing us at the wrong time. Just it's just very noticeable to share.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big double play that I'm thinking about it, and I'm sure you are as well. Otani coming up in the seventh inning with the bases loaded and he grounds into a four to six to three double play to end the inning. Uh, that's the one that sticks out to me tonight.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, it's it's always the second base like you just sear it at this point, blow ground, all right, Michael, Yeah, I don't know what they can really just love to get him to hit the ball in the air more. I don't know what that looks like.
Speaker 1: They would love to hit the ball in the air more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of that is though, Michael. You gotta you gotta see who is the guys that have been hitting the ball on the ground the most. And I'm not saying you have to have Ricky Henderson on bass to put guys in motion. Freddy Freeman's not the smart of the fastest guy, but he's the smartest guy. So I'm I'm I'm a big advocate to put guys in motion when you've grounded into that many double plays. Eight six, six, two, five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Joe in La. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field.
Speaker 11: How you doing, Joe, I'm doing good.
Speaker 14: Dave listen, I played four years. I'm gonna tell you we all go through this. Any team that's played professional baseball goes through this, as Dodgers went through it last year. They're going to it now. It's better they're going through it now than at the end of the season because they would have no shot in the playoffs. I can tell you there's one big key missing part to this, and that's Will Smith. When you have pictures out there that are experienced pitchers and they're throwing the catchers that are either you know, rookies, young second play second of players, some new new catcher. Now we got other produccio you have. Of course they see each other in spring training, but it's it's not the same. And Will Smith is the glue that really keeps the Dodger team together. Now this is a team, mind you, that is a slug team. They don't play small ball, so there they're low ball, you know, extra base hits. They're starting pitching and the relief pitching that's been their secret.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's their identity, and that's their identity. If they out home, are you there's a good chance they're going to win the game. A great example of that, Joe was Game seven of last year's World Series. The Dodgers scored all their runs on home runs to beat the Blue Jays. Plus they did the little things right with pitching, defense, base running, but Yeah, that's the identity of their offense as far as you know, getting on base and hitting two three run home runs.
Speaker 14: Well, the other part of it is, you know, Dave Roberts has been lucky in seven years. And not to say he's not a good manager. Managers managed personalities very much as much as they manage the game. But he's not a game in game manager. That's where Garren and and Lehman come in. The fact is that what I watched, you know, watch it mostly every day, and you can see that there's they don't play the game like Princess A Bower's team. That manager who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's apples and oranges to me because he's managing young players and he could get away with that type of managing style. I'm not sure he could get away with it managing veterans like the Dodgers have. I think Dave's done a good job with the group of players he has. But yeah, I mean, Pat Murphy is probably as close as they get to Mike's Sooshia. When it comes to that type of style, you got to demand everybody give you a professional run to first base. You gotta demand a certain level of professionalism, and quite honestly, the Dodger players hold each other accountable, so uh, they do good job of policing themselves.
Speaker 14: The last question, Dave is you know, of course I agree with you on what you just said. The Dodgers are not those players. They're older, they're more experienced. They're over thirty, the older seam in baseball actually, and they have there.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget a lot of these guys are three time World Series champions, two time World Series winning champions. So I think every I think Dodger fans don't give these guys enough credit for being champions. And there's a different level of being a back to back champion than there is to just be another team.
Speaker 1: So let's just keep that in mind too.
Speaker 14: Joe, you're right, and let me tell you, like I said in the beginning, it's good that they're going to this now because they'll get out of it. They will get out of this, and they will. Right now, you could feel it. They're not in sync. I'm not a fan of pie Has in the second slot. I think we should move Mulkie back there. I think you should go back to the way it was last year, the way it was of the year before. You can't juggle.
Speaker 1: Disagree with you. I disagree with you.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts is not the same hitter he was two years ago, and he's not the same hitter that he.
Speaker 1: Was even last year. For whatever reason he's not.
Speaker 2: I would if you told me, let's uh, let's change in the number two spot. I'm putting Tommy Edmund hitting second behind uh Otani. That's the guy I would want hitting second if it's not Pajz And when Will Smith comes back, maybe it'll be him. I gotta run, Joe. That's enough complaints out out of you for tonight. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks tonight four to three. I really don't want to take this guy, but I will to make Rick Monday happy so he has some fodder for tomorrow night's broadcast. Guess who's calling in after seven losses in a row. If it isn't Mick Scrooge himself, Ken from Newport Beach, How you doing Ken.
Speaker 12: Right now?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean you are you are.
Speaker 2: The Scrooge of baseball. I mean that's who you are. You only call after losses, and I feel like you are, really you are really in your Ken in Newport Beach identity after a seven game losing streak, So go, hey, Ken, what do you got? And I hope you can promise to call when the losing streak ends.
Speaker 12: Dodgers are one of nine and last ten. That's the worst record in the major leagues. Obviously, as you pointed out their last and the major leagues in the soul them bases last. I'm not sure Old Tommy knows that maybe he doesn't need to be doing that with a bad leg. I'm surprised at Edmund because that's just not like him. Some of the problems that I had is Layden games. You've got a grand aside a left field that followers fu. You should have caught. You don't want him there in the eighth And the biggest problem I had is some of the decisions that were made in the eighth inning. Dave walks what would have been the winning run? Why would you walk what would have been the winning run? Now the basis were loaded later. Never should have happened because you shouldn't have walked that guy. That didn't make any sense. The biggest thing that didn't make any sense is you got a guy that now has in the era of thirteen. He used to be really good, but he's not yet. Why would you bring him in the ninth inning? Let him show that he's not going to give up five runs in a two and a half innings. That was a major mistake, and the moment he did that, I was yelling and going, ough, this is the true.
Speaker 2: Edwin Diaz in the ninth inning? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 12: Not yet, he's not ready. We don't know when somebody's coming off an injury. I know in basketball, I came up some injuries. I used to be able to shoot, and all of a sudden I couldn't. It might take a longer time than that. That wasn't the time to do it in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's why I'm starting to lean on. That's why I'm starting to lean that he's not getting the job done. He's been talking about not having a feel for his sliders since his rehab appearances.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Pitching in the ninth inning, especially when you're trying to get wins. Now you've lost seven in a row, so I think everybody's kind of exhausted with the Hey, we're just gonna work back Evan Phillips and Edwin Diaz and the wins and losses don't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: Actually, they are starting to matter more than they did two weeks ago. So I'm with you on that one, Ken. But as far as intentionally walking to tell Marte maybe the most dangerous hitter in their lineup and Tanner Scott the matchups, I don't have an issue with that. What I do have an issue with is throwing as many sliders that Ben Roertfitt was calling to Nolan Arenado.
Speaker 1: I mean the sliders.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you have ninety seven if you can command ended up and in on Nolan Aeronado, He's not catching it. He's not He's not going to do much with it. And yeah, I just didn't like the sequencing. Hey, Ken, I like you a lot, but this trend of you calling after losses has got to stop.
Speaker 12: Okay, let me explain real quick. I'll give you ten seconds of it. Every A lot of people can call when they're winning. It's a lot easier. I pay attention. I watched every game I.
Speaker 1: Call in after a win. They went back to back championships. They're pretty good.
Speaker 12: Ye, well, I agree, but there are also are things that need to be brought up and maybe people need to listen to them. That's all I'm doing. I'm not doing this. Yeah, that's fine, there's a meaning.
Speaker 2: Man. I'm sure Dave Roberts will take all the notes that you sent today.
Speaker 12: Oh, I'm sure he will, all right, Ken, thank.
Speaker 2: You for the phone call and speaking of just like positioning and all that I would have had on that double by Gabrielle Moreno, I would have had Taoscar her and is playing no doubles defense, so it doesn't get over his head when you know you got a limited defender out there. So that was the only one that I would say. But like I said earlier, Taoscar Hernandez may have played the worst game in a Dodger uniform that I can recall in a long time. And I'm the biggest Taskar Hernandez fan out there. Let's take another phone call, Eddie and Palm Springs. You're on Dodger Talk. Walk us off tonight, Eddie before this concert.
Speaker 4: Ends, whatever they do. Well, thank you for taking my call. First of all, we got a lot of points from the Dodger fans tonight. I was well impressive tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought tonight was a solid show of phone calls. Don't let me down, Eddie. You can't judge other people until you deliver right now.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I called in because you took the words right out of my mouth and saying that, pointing out that should be the second somebody, that should be the second guy hitting behind Otani. I think he's up there with the best of the hitters right now, is Edmund? I mean creaman and and Otani. And then I'm a.
Speaker 1: Big Tommy Edmund fan.
Speaker 2: I was sitting next to that bomb Dylan Hernandez and uh, He's like, man, he's pretty good. I was like, yeah, he's really good, and he's my favorite player to watch.
Speaker 1: Hey, Eddie, I got a run. Thank you for the phone.
Speaker 2: Call, and I'm sure all the callers appreciate your validation tonight.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, all right, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Eddie.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow game two of this three game series, and I am guaranteeing a Dodger win tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Seven in a row is where this ends. Because the ace is on the mound. Ya'm a moto. He's going up against Brandon fott. Our coverage begins at four o'clock tomorrow, first pitch at five ten. Tune in from the very first pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Nevertt. You don't want to miss the Dodger snapping this seven game losing streak. Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Duyn McDonald out here at Chase Field, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can live stream Dodger Talk wherever you may be. Once again, the final score tonight the Diamondbags defeat the Dodgers four to three.
Speaker 1: Have a great rest of your night, Seal send it away,