Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Rigo running back to get.
Speaker 3: In on the show called eight six six eighty seven, two five, seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vase Last Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasey live at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers defeat the Rockies four to one and sweep this three game series. Your back to back World Series champion Dodgers have won five in a row, twelve of their last fourteen, and now have a four and a half game lead over both the Padres and the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Padres were just wept by the Phillies in their home ballpark, Philadelphia, will be at Dodger Stadium on Friday night to begin a three game weekend series. We'll get to that later in the show. Also, Jose Moto will check in in fifteen minutes, but let's talk about tonight's game, and let's have at it. Phone lines are open at eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Are we really going to debate whether or not Dave Roberts should or should not have taken Shohyotani out of this game with a no hitter after six innings, after throwing ninety nine pitches, after walking for and struggling with his command laboring basically the majority of this start. Look, I'm the biggest advocate for not robbing us of great moments and great moments with great players, but I found it hard to send Otani back out there for the seventh inning. I guess if you had to press me or push me to see whether or not O'tani could pull this off batter to batter in the seventh inning. But really, this is such a unique situation with a unique player, the most unique player, the greatest player on the planet. He's a two way player. I know, ninety nine pitches. Are Are we being lulled into accepting these type of things? I really hope not. But in this situation, I can understand why Dave Roberts said, you know what, that's enough Otani for tonight, because let's be honest, coming off his last start where both Otani and Dave Roberts talked about how he just wasn't feeling right physically, and he's doing both things. I mean, nobody has had a no hitter in the sixth inning and does what O'tani does. In fact, I guess I could say there's been one other player and it's the same guy back in twenty twenty two, because I look this up. How late did O'tani ever have a no hitter? And September twenty ninth, twenty twenty two against the Oakland A's at Angel Stadium, Otani took a no hitter into the eighth inning, gave up a hit, and was taken out. So he has taken a no hitter deep into the game. But tonight it just didn't look right to send him back out there for the seventh inning. So I would love to hear your argument for sending out Otani if you really believe that. But I have to believe you kind of side on Dave Roberts's line of thinking like I do tonight, But like I said, I don't want us to start accepting taking players out of no hitters especially great pitchers like Clayton Kershaw. I still believe and I'll always maintain this, and I'll tell Kershaw to this day that start in Minnesota a few years ago, seven perfect innings. I know it was cold, I know it was his first start, but he ended up getting hurt anyway later in that year, despite being taken out of a perfect game in the seventh inning with less than ninety pitches. So I'm not going to get lolled into accepting taking great pictures out of no hitters or pitchers out of no hitters, period. But in this case I leaned towards Dave Roberts, taking him out after six no hit innings and the Dodgers were this close to having a combined no hitter. If it wasn't for Willie Castro's single in the eighth inning off of Tanner Scott, the Dodgers would have had another combined no hitter. The last time a Dodger threw a no hitter, it actually was a combined no hitter, back in twenty eighteen, when the Dodgers were playing the Padres in Mexico City. It was Walker Bueller's first full season in the major leagues. He started that game, and guys like Yimi Garcia, Adam Libertore Chris Hatcher pitched in that combined no hitter, So it would have been two combined no hitters in the last uh last two times the Dodgers had a no hitter in their franchise. And we all know Kershaw no hit the Rockies back in twenty fourteen. That anniversary is coming up in less than a month. All right, let's head downstairs to hear from the great Otani on sports at l A.
Speaker 3: We have situations like this, what is the biggest focus for you and how you kind of want to say, either stay in the zone or be efficient to try to as you were able to get their six hittings of work, you know, being.
Speaker 4: My musket chose to shield.
Speaker 1: Listening what defense even the least?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have to give credit to our defense. They really, you know, set the don't tone today again, just command was off and just I just felt like I was battling the the lack of it and the frustration.
Speaker 5: So this is the most animated or frustrated that you've seen me lately on the mountain.
Speaker 2: What late, what led into some of that ministration.
Speaker 6: Got me?
Speaker 4: It's done.
Speaker 1: To listen them out, recognized she.
Speaker 7: Wasn't taking the mean they are apploments, just way.
Speaker 4: Too many walks, and of course you want to avoid the hits. But the result of that was a lot of walks today, and that's something that I just don't really want to do.
Speaker 7: Despite the command issues that you kind of had the last couple of games, I was probably taking the kind of success you've got, the results you've had the last two games.
Speaker 2: Or not you wanted to go out with.
Speaker 7: Us, then I do know it, m us.
Speaker 1: I cannot lom this.
Speaker 4: The takeaway if any of the positive is that they didn't really have many hard hits, and that's something I'm gonna you know, that's the positive. Could have finished off.
Speaker 2: There we got about.
Speaker 7: Can you sow you? Oh no, uh, JUVENI can not do you good as contest, never take another.
Speaker 4: And the bullpen has been just consistent, done a great job all year round. And I think we're setting the tone to where as long as we have the lead by the seventh we can just you know, hand a baton and and you know, win the game. So in that sense, the really the only job for us to do is make sure we had to lead in the seventh offensively and as a starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would have loved to have heard the direct question and heard his direct answer about whether or not he wanted to continue or he wanted to try to chase the no hitter. But that was as close as we're going to get. Eight six, six seven two five seventy is the phone number. And really, when you talk about the defensive place meant made Tonight to stand out the most. Alex call robbing Troy Johnston in the second inning and the play that Alex Friedland made on a chopper by Willie Castro in the fourth inning went over the head of Freddie Freeman, and Freeland smart baseball IQ feel for the game was right where he needed to be backing up and the ball got to him and he dove to first base to get Willie Castro out. So those were the two defensive plays that stood out to me the most while Otani was in there for six no hit innings. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Edward and Mission Hills. You're on Dodger tog.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Edward, I'm doing I'm doing well, just a little under the weather. But I'm hanging in there all right.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for calling in even though you're under the weather.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I agree with you to that point with Roberts pulling OTAWNI he just didn't have a great command. His pitch time was around the nineties. Probably different stories he had command and his pitchtowns around the seventies. So I agree with you on that he just didn't have it even if he went batter to bat or he would have gone to what one hundred and twenty ten pitches, And honestly, that's not looking at the big picture. You're right, big picture is Otani being healthy, attempting to win a cy young and Roberts has not shied away pulling pitchers from a no hitter. Look at Kershaw and with the twins, that's the most I think the most recent one where he pulled him pulled Kershaw out.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a perfect game in the seventh inning. He pulled Kershaw. That was And Kershaw later that year had a no hitter in the eighth inning in Anaheim, but Dave Roberts let him ride it out and he gave up a hit. But yes, I agree with you, Edward, and I'm glad you're You're a little bit less emotional than others when it comes to these type of things. By the way, Shoe he Otani is not the first Dodger to have six or more no hit innings and hit a home run. He is the only pitcher in baseball history to start a game and lead off a game with a home run. He did that against the Brewers in Game four of the NLCS. He did that in his last start against the Padres, and he did it again tonight. But Don Drysdale, Big d was a pretty good hitter in his day, and he also had had six no hit innings and hit a home run. It wasn't a leadoff home run, but he hit a home run in that game back on June twenty fifth, nineteen fifty nine. So O'tani joins Don Drysdale with that distinction of having six or more no hit innings and hitting a home run. So there you go. Otani's not the only pitcher that can rake. Let's go out to Witty or George. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing George good?
Speaker 6: How are you Dad?
Speaker 2: Awesome? It's always it's always an event when Otani is taking the mound. That that's the feeling I get. It's not just another game, it's an event.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was there.
Speaker 6: It was pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, I mean you sound very numb on the inside, George, considering everything we just said.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm I'm not gonna sit here and act like he should have fit in the game. I guess I'm just kind of I've seen.
Speaker 9: A couple instances.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking of Ross trip Lane, like you said earlier, Kershaw Rich Hill, I mean Ross Shipping, he had a I think it might have been his first outing.
Speaker 1: But I'm kind of thinking of Francisco.
Speaker 2: I've been here for all of them, George, I remember all of them.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to think of like you've missed out on some history, just because Roberts has been pretty conservative holding this pictures up.
Speaker 9: I mean, obviously it's worked.
Speaker 6: I mean we're at this point now with the organization, but I don't know, I just want to maybe I'm old school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know where this would end. Right ninety nine pitches, he was laboring he's a two way player, not feeling great after his last start physically, even he admitted that, which says a lot speaks volumes. Okay, so you go out for the seventh inning. Now you're getting closer to one hundred and ten pitches. Let's say he labors through the seventh but doesn't give up a hit. You're sending him back out for the eighth inning, and now you're getting into the one twenties. Is it really work? It? And it's hard for me to be a hypocrite, George, because I'm a big believer that as a hitter, the Dodgers need him more as a hitter than they need him as a pitcher.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the dilemma. That's the unique part of all this, and that's why I agree with Dave Roberts. All right, George, thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The only downer about tonight's game is that Teoscar Hernandez left the game in the second inning straining his left hamstring trying to beat out an infield single. He was out and out of the game in the second inning, and you could tell it was bad because he was he was going all the way up the right field line onto the grass and then was not jogging back to the dugout like he normally does. He was walking very carefully back to the dugout and grabbing the back of his leg, his left leg, and you knew it was his hamstring. And he slammed his helmet down and walk right down to the clubhouse and that was all confirmed. And Dave Roberts said after the game, ta Oscar is going on the il end quote going to be out for a few weeks. So that's really unfortunate. Ta Oscar was starting to hit his stride again, and I think he's frustrated on more than being taken out of the game because of injuring his left hamstring. You have to remember, ta Oscar Hernandez came to camp fifteen pounds lighter, and he told us in spring training part of the reason why he put in so much work and did a different type of workout during the offseason was to avoid the same groin injury that he had around the All Star Game last year. And he wanted to avoid hamstring or groin injuries. And here we are, he strains his left hamstring. So he's got to be really frustrated, obviously for the obvious, but all also the work he put in during the off season to avoid this type of injury. And here we are again. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Daniel in San Diego. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Daniel, Hey, how you.
Speaker 6: Doing, Dave?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great.
Speaker 10: Hey, listen, Yeah, I want to talk about the minor leaguers that they can call up for Kioto Hernandez. Do you have any insight of how they're doing or who do you think they're going to call up and see if they're going to be able to perform in the show.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Ryan Ward is on the forty man roster. He plays left field. You can go a Ryan Ward Alex call platoon in left field. Or you could find a way to maneuver James Tibbs, the third onto your forty man roster and call up Tibbs, who has been very streaky and very good at Triple A this year, and give him an opportunity to platoon with Alex call in left field. So those would be my first two options.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, we kind of need you because our Osol. There's a little bit old Tioskars about two years and Tucker may leave next year, so we need to see how our minor leaguers they can come up and produce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, it's just the organizational depth, Daniel. I don't think Tucker's going anywhere quite honestly, But yes, this is an opportunity for somebody because ti Oscar Hernandez is going to be out for a few weeks. Keik A Hernandez is going to be out six to eight weeks, So there are opportunities now for young Dodgers. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight four to one. Also an opportunity for Alex Call, who is one of the most prepared Dodgers, and he made a great defensive play in the second inning that I don't believe Kyle Tucker would make, laying out for a fly ball a sinking line drive by Troy Johnson in and right field to at that time second inning, but preserved a no hitter for show. Heyo Tani and yesterday Alex Call was a pregame guest and I noticed how he was going to all the outfield spots to shag during batting practice, and I asked him why he does that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, as the outfield like, the best work you can do is live reads off the bat in batting practice. So this is a cherished time, I would say, because it's really the best practice you can do. And you know, nowadays with how they evaluate outfielders, how they evaluate everybody on defense, there's never been more data available for every single play. Every single play gets graded, every single play can carry an enormous weight for the amount of value that you provide for the team. And so trying to get the best reps possible via the best means of practice with batting practice, live reads off the bat is how you can get better, stay sharp, and be ready for the game. So understanding like, hey, every single ball off the bat is an opportunity for me to create value for the team, and I have to be ready for every one of those in every position. So I like to rotate around all three. You know, might not get all three one day, but over the course of the week, try to touch all three.
Speaker 2: How about that? How about that Alex call preparing yesterday during batting practice to be ready to make a catch like he made tonight in the second inning to rob Troy Johnston. That's what I try to tell you. These guys don't show up at six o'clock and put on their uniform to play. These guys are out here every single day, grinding through the summer and one hundred and sixty two game marathon, preparing some more than others. But for the Dodgers, all these guys prepare and grind a lot to be ready to go for a seven to ten game. And Alex Call was preparing yesterday to be in right field tonight and to be ready to make that type of catch. And at that time, you know, obviously nobody knew Otani would have a six no hit outing or the Dodgers would have a no hitter going into the eighth inning. But if Alex Call isn't prepared and doesn't make that catch, it's a move point Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out when we continue more of your phone calls at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We still have a pair of tickets to give away for Friday Night's game Alex Vesia babbohead Night and we'll check in with Jose Mota and I'll give you a peek into what's going on in San Diego with the Padres. Don't forget Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. More Dodger Talk Around the Corner with David vasse on a five to seventy Sports Dodgers beat the Rockies four to one.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Basson.
Speaker 12: Won one pitch to Freeman, You'll swing and hit on a long way to left.
Speaker 2: This ball heading back to the wall.
Speaker 1: This ball's gone.
Speaker 12: Home run Freddie Freeman, two Nothling Dodgers or three hundred and seventy fourth career home run for Freeman, his seventh per season that the Dodgers are playing long ball against the Rockies.
Speaker 2: Early Freddy Freeman hitting a hanging curveball for a home run in the first inning, coming off Shoho Tani's bottom of the first inning leadoff home run. Two homers for the Dodgers Stars in the first stinning, Andy Pie has hit another one in the eighth. They hit eight home runs in the last two games of this series, sweeping the Rockies tonight, the final score four to one. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Moto, What a night at Dodgers Stadium. It always is when show hal tani is center stage. What did you think about his six no hit innings tonight?
Speaker 9: It was great to see show fight through an outing war. You could see in the beginning in his face he just was not feeling the command release point. He was very sweeper happy tonight, which is sometimes one thing that gets him into a little bit of trouble, and it's because where he pitches from the first base, they watch how many times he has to forge that sweeper to finish outside. When he's not feeling well. He has to really force it. It happened in San Diego, it happened here again tonight. It's a very efficient angle that he gives because I mean, as fastball plays well, the sweeper plays well, the breakawall plays well, but only two splitters to that, which is very interesting for show. But nonetheless, when the big ones and the great ones know they don't feel well, they'll still find a way to go out there and avoid some damage. And we saw once again the greatness at one show Hey Oltani.
Speaker 2: Through six innings, Jose, nobody asked him after the game whether or not he wanted to try to go out for the seventh inning and chase the no hitter. Do you believe that he wanted that or he understood and was reconciled with where he was at and how much he labored tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, wanting it is one thing, of course he wanted, But in reality, he just tells you that he's not ready for that ninety nine pitches. He's never thrown more than one hundred and seventeen at any outing in his career. That was back in twenty twenty three. Let's keep in mind day this is his first full season pitching in three years, there's a lot. He's already has more innings in the regular season this season, the last year, and that kind of the playoffs obviously, so there's a lot to really take care of here in the month of May. If it's for show, he said, yeah, I'm going to go one twenty one thirty. But you know very well we have this conversation and there's arguments why not about letting him go or not, but I think he understood where he was the fighting and how many times he had to shake you know, Will Smith and just go out. It just didn't feel right. Whatever pitch, the sequence called for, or the scouting call for, it just didn't feel right. And once again he got it through. But there's no question in my mind he was not coming out for that one ending here. There's no need to push him that way because remember, keep in mind, this guy also has two surgeries in that right elbow, and there's absolutely no need to push this right now in the month of May or July or August. It doesn't matter. You got to go out and take care of showhill Tony because you need him both ways, hitting and pitching.
Speaker 2: Hose Mota was at the Big A when Otani took a no hitter into the eighth inning on September twenty ninth, twenty twenty two. Do you remember that game and did you believe that night was going to be the night that he threw a no hitter.
Speaker 9: I was actually here with the Dodgers in twenty twenty two, but I remember following that game, David, No, It's okay. I mean I was still falling show hey, and I was going to report. So what I know is one thing, he was pushing himself to go outable like one hundred and forty pitches and is not gonna happen. But it didn't surprise me at all when show he does something like this like today, it just doesn't give in, which is the main thing. And I think you know overall in the conversation with Yamamoto and him, it's like they push each other to do the same thing to make sure they don't cave it in any type of situation. But maybe one day we'll see it when he's economical, he's fresh and not a guy that has to work so hard as he did today like last time, just to get through five innings or six innings today and eventually it'll happen at the right time, Dave.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is just one of those you're at the bar type of question. Yama Toto came so close last year in Baltimore to have a no hitter. Otani came close in twenty twenty two. If you had to pick one, who do you believe is going to get that no hitter first?
Speaker 9: I have to go stuff. Man, it's hard. I have to pick one. Put me on the spot, that's straight. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go Yoshi.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I agree with you, just because he's a pitcher.
Speaker 9: I mean. And the thing with Ryoshi is he he may be at ninety four ninety five great, but he has so many different weapons to get you out of an inning and be economical and not have to push himself for the punch outs, which is great, But especially in season like this one where Yoshinobu to strike us are down, there's a good possibility who might see that happening? You know, just don't throw that cutter where he missed it right there with holiday and it should have been a different result right there in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, Jose, the only downer, like we said tonight, was ta Oscar Hernandez hurting his left hamstring and going to be out now for at least a few weeks. According to Dave Roberts, the Dodgers lose keyk Hernandez, they lose Taoscar Hernandez tonight. Can they sustain I know they got a lot of depth. I know they have a lot of great players. Can they keep this going with without Taoscar Hernandez specifically that will keep.
Speaker 9: It going because even without the Oscar hitting well, they're still doing the job. Once again. You know, your death gets tested in so many ways. As Dave Roberts and every manager in baseball says, we need every single one of you the first day of spring training. This is why be ready. And know what I was thinking about, this would have been a great opportunity for a guy named Alec Thomas. Say he's right their guy and yeah, he got activated recently yesterday for the Arizona League. Right now, he's not played in Triple A yet, but this will have been a great opportunity for him. But you know what, the guys have been grinding through his Dodgers right now. Deserves to get a look and certainly for Tia Oscar being out, they'll find a way again to find depth and to make sure that whatever fit's that part of the lineup is going to come out and do their job. But you know, let's see what happens. But so so bad for two Oscar and one thing to keep in mind to it, and I'll say this in the most positive way, Dave, this is not a young team, Okay. We have to keep in mind that these things are are doing to happen with an older team. They take care of themselves, they work very hard, they know exactly how to bounce back. But these things sometimes are expected throughout baseball when you know your team's aging as good as they're doing. These are things that teams prepare for coming out of spring training because you know, of course the possibilities are much higher. But nonetheless still a very good team, very deep team, and they'll find the way again.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in tonight. Enjoy Thursday, and we'll see you back out here Friday night.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Man Jose Mota with the Dodgers since twenty twenty two in the Spanish radio booth. Certainly great to have him check in after every game on Dodger Talk. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Torrance, Kate. You're on Drew Talk. How you doing, Kate?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 13: Hey, do the Dodgers need a closer?
Speaker 14: Or can we just have our awesome bullpen be situational right now?
Speaker 2: It seems like they can have their awesome bullpen be situational right now. And really, Tanner Scott's been that guy just tonight. The matchup dictated for him to come in in the eighth inning, and Kyle Hurt, who's been absolutely dominant against right handed hitters, closed out the ninth inning because of those string of writings.
Speaker 13: Yep, that's all right, Okay, thanks.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to we're on the same page. Bye, Kate. Let's go out to Lars, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Lars, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 13: Massa just got back to Seal Beach from Dodger Stadium, but had an incredible night. What a time to be alive? Was a time to be a Dodgers fan. I went down saw they pitch in San Diego to to see him hit a homer and pitch so well there and then do it again here in la is just is so exciting. One moment that I observed that I.
Speaker 2: Ask you a real quick question, Lars. Did you have tickets before you knew Otani would be pitching tonight or did you get tickets after you found out Otani would be pitching tonight?
Speaker 13: Great question, And I do map it out so that I try to go to all of his starts. In fact, we my son Max and I would do it down in Anaheim, which is a little closer to us, all of the years he was pitching there. This one, I did did have tickets already with the Yamamoto bobblehead, so I was coming regardless. But but yeah, I definitely circle this on the calendar. I was excited when Otani's turn came up tonight, and he's just He's incredible to watch, and I'm glad that that hopefully this this and the talk of him not hitting when he pitches, because the whole time in Anaheim he would have some of his best offensive performances on his pitching day. Is and after three pitching opportunities where he didn't get a chance to hit, to then hit two home runs in the first inning of the next two I think speaks volumes.
Speaker 15: One small moment that I observe that I just think speaks to how tight this team is and how well God keeps him on the tracks. Is Hayes on Kim coming in for ta Oscar Hernandez. I mean, here's a guy that presumably was replaced by Alex Freeland now at second comes into the game, makes that incredible play up in foul territory where he kind of reaches over the fence awkwardly and gets it. And who's the first guy and the loudest guy clapping him on was Alex Freeland at second base. I looked over and he's given him a standing ovation and applauding him. I think that speaks for just how tight these guys are. Even when there's competition amongst pitchers, when they're pitching the shot out innings or position players trying to get the start, they're just all together and rowing in the right direction.
Speaker 13: And that's why we won five in a row.
Speaker 2: All right, Lars, thanks a lot for the phone call. Yeah, Kim got his first taste of left field in a major league game tonight, with Taoscar Hernandez being forced out of the game in the second inning. Alex call in there already. Obviously, Dave Roberts told Kyle Tucker, you're not playing tonight, or he would have gone out to right, Cal would have gone to left, and with the unfortunate injury to Keith a Hernandez Kim was the only option that he had. Let's take one more phone call, Gilbert in Southgate. You're the last man standing, Gilbert. So if you want to come to the game on Friday night, I got a pair of tickets for you. On Alex Vesia Babblehead Night.
Speaker 14: Oh man, Yes, that sounds so good right now, Bro, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for being patient and holding on and walking it off tonight on Dodger Talk, What do you have to say about Otani?
Speaker 14: Okay, So here's my thing. Everybody wants to speak on his negatives, right, like like how he wasn't doing so good. But I mean, we're right here witnessing like the best player we've ever witnessed ever. And what I want to bring up is who in this game in the age is actually throwing striking out somebody and hitting a home run in the same inning. Nobody, Bro nobody's doing that right now, but Otani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know who's tearing down Otani. All I hear is a lot of love for Otani.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean as far as just like his little those little negatives, the tucks that I hear. I just I don't like it. I just I just like to bring up the fact that he is the best player in the league and actually the best player I've ever win this period.
Speaker 2: All right, Gilbert, I agree with you. Hold on and we'll get you those tickets. It's all brought to you by AM five to seventy LA Sports. You're home for the back to back world champion Dodgers, and don't forget you can stream every game on the iHeartRadio app. I'll say this, you know, before I started covering the Dodgers exclusively in twenty twelve, I covered all the LA teams, including the Shaq and Kobe Lakers. And I could tell you this, when Kobe and Shaq were active in playing, everybody took shots at those guys and weren't appreciating how great Shaq was for his size and what he can do and how dominant he was. They would always want more from him, and it seemed like they always wanted more from Goliath Kobe Bryant. Now that he's retired and unfortunately passed away, it feels like everybody appreciates everything that he did as a player, his mindset, that Mamba mentality more after he stopped playing than when he actually was playing. So that's my appeal to you, not only with Otani, but when Mookie Beds, Freddie Freeman and some of these other really good players. Just enjoy the greatness that you're able to watch. Enjoy Otani because you're not going to see this again. I can guarantee you you will not see this again in your lifetime. So just sit back and enjoy the show. No player is perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect player. Kobe Bryant wasn't perfect. Shaquille O'Neal was not perfect. I got news for you. I saw Michael Jordan play. He was not perfect. So just enjoy the greatness of these players because you're never going to see another Kobe Bryant. You're never going to see another show heo Tani, and I'll go out on the limb and say, you're never going to see another Shaquille O'Neal period. All right, I want to say a couple of things. Speaking of guys you'll never see again, well I saw one today. Ramo Martinez was back at Dodgers Stadium tonight. He and Hideo Nomo were the two best starting pitchers the Dodgers had in the decade of the nineties. Ramo Martinez in nineteen ninety struck out eighteen braves here at Dodgers Stadium, tying Sandy Kofax's record of eighteen strikeouts in a game. He also threw a no hitter against the Florida Marlins in nineteen ninety and was on his way to winning the Cy Young in the nineteen ninety one season if it wasn't for Jack Howell hitting a line drive off his right shoulder in the final game of the first half of that season. So it was great to have Ramo Martinez back here tonight. And Ramon is going to be out at Oral Herscheiser's new car dealership grand opening in Gino. But it was great to have Ramon Martinez back here at Dodgers Stadium. And you can hear the interview we did together on the iHeartRadio app. Also, the Dodgers now have won five in a row twelve of their last fourteen have a four and a half game lead over the San Diego Padres, who just got swept by the Phillies. The Phillies are coming to town on Friday night for a three game series. Christopher Sanchez, speaking of Oral Herscheiser, threw more zeros up tonight in San Diego. He now has forty four and two third scoreless innings. But more importantly, the Padres are not hitting in this four game losing streak. The Padres, if you can believe this, we're oh for twenty eight with runners in scoring position. I know Rick Monday's ears just perked up because he loves that stat. Yes, the Padres have a four game losing streak and are OH for twenty eight with runners in scoring position. Today's starter and former Dodger Walker Buehler took them DOUN and didn't get any run support against the Phillies. Here's what he had to say to the San Diego media after tonight's game.
Speaker 5: You know, I think the record said we're doing pretty well obviously, you know of you know, kind of annual playoff team comes in and wins three games.
Speaker 2: This is that's baseball.
Speaker 5: That's why we play one hundred and sixty two. And you know, I think for us and what we're a big kind of momentum based team. And you know, being playing against the Fadres for as long as I have, like that's part of the DNA here, and you know, we catch momentimum, have a good road trip, and you know, I think, hopefully go in there and do the same to them at their place.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Walker Buehler, who obviously knows how emotional and the emotional rollercoaster the Padres are as a team. Manny Machado has not gotten on track. He's hitting under two hundred, and Fernando Tatist Junior still has not hit a home run this season, and the Dodgers are starting to open up a gap in the NL West. After the Phillies swept the Padres. With the win today, the Dodgers now have a four and a half game lead over both the Padres and the Diamondbacks, and more importantly, the lost column. The Dodgers have a six game lead over both San Diego and Arizona, or excuse me, a four game lead in the lost column over the Padres and the Diamondbacks. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in payouts every race day. For heart pounding action, new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. All right, Tomorrow the Dodgers have a day off, but that means I don't have a day off. There is off day. Dodger Talk Tomorrow night. Yes, no days off, holidays, off days, no days off for your boy, David Vase seven to eight pm Tomorrow night. Adrian Gonzalez will be our special guest at seven point fifteen and then on Friday Night, Alex Vesia babbohead Night. It'll be the opener of a three game weekend series against the Phillies. Justin Robleski will be on the mound. He's six and two with an ERA at three zero seven, going up against Zach Wheeler, who is four and zero with an ERA of one to sixty seven. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies at seven fifteen and AM five to seventy. LA Sports and the iHeartRadio app is the only place you'll be able to get pitch by pitch action because the game's on Apple TV, and we know how that's gone. Five seventy. LA Sports is where you want to tune in on Friday night if you want to catch the blow by blow of the Dodgers in Phillies. The Phillies have won four in a row. They're over five hundred now with interim manager Don Mattingly taken over for the fired Rob Thompson. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Maybe Dwayne on the day off is gonna go shopping at Uniclo tomorrow. You never know what he might show up with on Friday Show. Haltani got the win tonight, he's five and two. Sigano takes the loss, and congrats to our guy Kyle Hurt with his first career save Otani. Freeman pajs All went deep tonight to help the Dodgers beat the Rockies four to one. Coming up next, it'll be Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven o'clock for OP Day Dodger Talk Adrian Gonzalez. We'll be joining us at seven point fifteen. Have a great rest of your night. See you just Dot and Ca