Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky Today. On a Friday around about this time, we always talked to this fella right here from w CPO nine News, our good friend John matteries, don't waste your money, and Johnny, I was in the I was in the Kroger today picking up a couple of items, and here we are what There were still four weeks out from Halloween, and I walked by display for Thanksgiving cards. I'm surprised they didn't see it. But but anyways, so but anyway, speaking of Halloween, the candy this year, I also saw, you know, they obviously got racks of that stuff out, and man, I just you're gonna go brook feeding them kids?
Speaker 2: You are this year? Yeah, candy price is higher than ever for anything chocolatey. And you know everybody wants those Reese's peanut butter cups. They're by far the most popular, you know. And then you have twigs and Hershey's bars, and oh my goodness, we're in Kroger. Four ninety nine is the current price of a small snack bag. I mean a few years ago, those are like two seventy five, you know, Yeah, they're four nine five Bucks went over to Walmart. There are also five bucks over at Walmart. And this is a small bag. I mean, if you're in a busy neighborhood that has a lot of kids, Oh that'll that little bag will last year about ten minutes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How many pieces are in it? I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: Not too many, Like you get thirty pieces or something. Then you have the bigger bags and you're like, okay, well let's get some of the bigger bags. Well, those are fifteen or twenty dollars for the bigger bag, and you get a lot more pieces. But before you know it, you've spent you sent over one hundred bucks for your candy, and you're hoping that's all you need. You're hoping. It's not a beautiful night, and you got to say, honey, run out to Walgreens because we're running low and it's only uh six fifteen. No, it's just crazy how expensive it Skinddy.
Speaker 1: I think you John. Last year we did the same segment and it woul had gone up from the previous year, and now it's going up again. And where does this stop at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well it's it's a lot of factors, a lot of is the cocoa prices. You've been hearing that. We've been hearing that all year at the cocoa prices are up, just like coffee beans. Because I drink a lot of coffee. That's getting expensive. And the candy prices, the chocolate prices are up. So question is people are saying, like what can I do about it? But one thing is be cheap like John matter Reson, and don't buy the chocolate. You know, give them the the nerds and give them the kiddle and that's my little rock.
Speaker 1: Give them exactly like what I used to do. Give them to Smartie, get one of those little just throw one smartiesay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Just just don't be like grandma and give them a penny. Here you go, a penny.
Speaker 1: There's an apple and a penny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't get I'm not even I'm not even that cheap. So you know that, you know, you could downgrade to some of the some of the other candies. Here's now something though that I would say, I would say, don't buy your candy this weekend. Do not. You're gonna be tempted. I know you're gonna be out in Kroger or Walmart this weekend. It's like, honey, we better start stocking up on this. I would not buy it this weekend. And here's why. Next week there are a bunch of big sales. There's Walmart's deals going on, there's Amazon's October Prime Days going on. Target has a Circle week going on, So the big fall sales are actually happening. Next week, you're gonna find candy mark downs, and a lot of people don't think of buying candy on Amazon. Check it out. You may find some really good deals. So that's going on next week. Here's the magic day. You gotta wait a while for it. October sixteenth. Okay, we're talking almost almost two weeks, just under two weeks. October fifteenth, that's when Kroger holds its annual candy sail that goes on for four days. They do it every year, and they mark down candy about thirty to thirty five percent. It used to be fifty percent off. Now it's about thirty to thirty five percent off. But it's still a really good deal. So those four ninety nine bags, you know, those would be down to you know, three ninety nine or something. Uh. Basically, October fifteenth is the key date for Kroger, So you might want to hold off for that. You might want to check some stuff online. I have a whole story on my John Mattery's Facebook page in WCPO dot com listing a whole bunch of sales that are coming up.
Speaker 1: And then you got to you know, if you live in a neighborhood, you have to put out your fire pit and set up a bar for all the moms and dads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got you gotta get beers.
Speaker 1: I've seen it. I've seen guys out there got beers.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you got to get those those. Yeah, you got to get high noons, you got to get beers. You got to get some some wood for the fire pit, set up a whole thing on your driveway. Yeah, so trick or treaty and costs me about two hundred bucks. You're right cool, And that's why I hand it. That's why I hand out one piece of cant of that what's that old yellow candy corn? Yeah, one piece of candy corn.
Speaker 1: Here you go, se don't choke on it, Johnny. What else are we talking about? What's what the non refundable stuff going on these days?
Speaker 2: As far as Yeah, I've done some travel lately at a college reunion, went in to see mom and I tell you, you go to buy an airfare now, and it's like, oh, you could spend four hundred dollars or you could spend three hundred dollars for the non refundable Basic Economy. You guys flow basic Economy.
Speaker 1: I've done.
Speaker 2: Oh miserable. You know, you're the last people to board. You don't get a seat, Like you go to the airport, you have no idea what your seat is. Then they're like, oh, you can't put your bag in the overhead bed. I mean, it's just awful. And it's non refundable. Mean you can't change it. You got to you gotta seat on the flight. And if you want to change it now, baby nah, because you bought Basic economy. Hotels are doing the exact same thing now with prepay. You can get that hotel room for one hundred and seventy five a night or one hundred and twenty five a night if you prepay, no changes. And it's becoming a real dilemma because you're like, Okay, I think I'm going away this weekend. You know I might want to go see, you know, a UC game out of town or just visit family or something. But it's like, what if I need to change something, life happens, you know, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that happened to us on vacation. We flew over to London with our sons and I had already I had pre paid for hotel rooms. Well, they canceled our flight, so we had to fly out all the next morning. Well that that night was dead. So I, you know, I call the people and try to convince them like a victim of circumstances. They're like, no, I'm a non refundable. There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watch out, watch out for that non refundabal Yes, especially for a big vacation. If you're going to do it, the thing to do is pay for that. We'll electra for that travel insurance. Usually fly twenty five bucks. You can get that Alliance travel insurance to a lot of airlines that'll cover if something happens. Otherwise you get stuck paying that hotel room. Your flight's light, you still pay two hundred bucks for that hotel room. So it's one of those things where they're really pushing this non refundable travel anymore to save money because they love it. Airlines and hotels of it because they're being paid in advance and they know you can't change anything because they're getting pretty. But I tell you, if you need to make any changes, it's just it's just horrible. And it's a debate. You know, I'm booking a flight. Do I spend another fifty bucks for a refundable changeable flight? I don't know, But you know, I don't know about you guys. I want a seat. I hate getting down to the gate and I don't have a seat yet. I don't know if I'm sitting. And then you end up, you know, the seat right at the bathroom door. That's the most pleasant flight you will ever have.
Speaker 1: Or between two big, giant fat people and both of them holding babies.
Speaker 2: Crying baby, yes, in the middle seat, yeah, in the middle seat next to the crying baby and the giant guy who's like Norm from Cheers. Uh. And and then you're back by the by the bathroom with that door flap and open his shut every two minutes. And now you just love that.
Speaker 1: Well between all that, you know, if we didn't have stuff to complain about, John, you'd be out of work.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's the beauty, you know, the fact that there's something to complain about and somebody getting schemed every day. I hate it, but you know, it gives me things to talk about. So guys, have a great weekend. Don't waste your money, all right?
Speaker 1: Thanks sEH. So coming up here next, we're going to be talking to the Lions beat reporter from the Detroit Free Press about. Uh, I've heard something about this team being pretty good the Detroit I watched them against Baltimore few weeks ago, dismantled. I mean, just put it on that. I'm like, yeah, and uh up from and and again Baltimore a pretty good team. They haven't put it all together yet, but you know that, you know, round about right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But we'll h we'll talk about the Lions coming to town. But right now we've got the news news radio seven hundred w l W