Speaker 1: Welcome back to news radio seven hundred WLW. It's the Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie and Rocky, you're out today. I'm Jason Williams. He's Dan Carroll. We're bad.
Speaker 2: Well, we've not seen the sun, Danny man, can you believe? I mean that?
Speaker 1: Yesterday? But it's nice the temperatures Christmas.
Speaker 2: It is fantastic sixty something that means, like you know, I like its sixty two, sixty three degrees like that. But yesterday not a single ray of sunshine all day on Christmas Day. And by the way, Happy Christmas. And I hope you had a great day yesterday. Merry Christmas. I hope everybody listening had a great day. And then today the cloudy as can be. I came in off the four seventy one and then you can't see the tops of the buildings because it's so overcast.
Speaker 1: Dan, have we have we have we dipped to this level of that Now we're we're just talking about the weather. Come on, We're better than that, right, We're better than that. You and you and I, You and I. In this week every year, I say it's the fourth week in a row. We've had a lot of fun this week, fourth year in a row, fourth year. What I say, fourth weekend? Oh yeah, fourth year, and uh, I'm excited. We're gonna keep We're gonna keep the fun rolling with our with our first guests out of the gate, your old your old pal uh from from local television. Uh, our good friend Local twelve anchor and reporter Mega Manngello.
Speaker 2: Mega Monngello is here. And before I get to Megan, I want to play. There's I gotta sound. I don't want to play because Local twelve has been all over this story about people uh in Cincinnati neighborhoods hearing an unusual sound that that has remained a mystery to this day, and it's been going off for several weeks.
Speaker 1: Now, All right now, I don't think you've heard this. I've not heard it. I've read the story on lacer twelve dot com, but I'm not I've not heard.
Speaker 2: So everyone, everyone who's listening right now, pay attention to the radio. I think this soundbite's about twenty seven seconds long. And see if you can identify this sound. Joe Waddell hit it, so there you go. Is that man made? Is it human? Is it animal? Is it? It's something mechanical. It sounds like a cross between like your emergency siren and an airplane, or maybe even a big Mac truck rolling down the highway, or maybe some mysterious something mysterious, a creature from the depths of Hell. Well, but that we have, we we got to get to Megan here because I, you know, I don't know where you're going. You know what, Megan, First of all, thank you so much for being here. The pictures that you posted of your family on Christmas time are absolutely beautiful. The boys are amazing.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas to you and Jason.
Speaker 2: Your family is amazing. So I love to see those pictures. But you folks that have been having some fun with this, we're on it.
Speaker 3: Two stories. Yes, we've done two stories. I gotta I gotta mention our reporter who's been all over us Marilla Port.
Speaker 4: She she truly has.
Speaker 3: I actually called her this morning because I said, give me the lowdown. I was off the day of Christmas Eve when her latest story aired. So I'm well breathed from the lovely Marilla on this situation. And you know what, there's been some fun conspiracies about what this could be, even like a yetty roaming the forest and Mount Airy, Ghost of Queensgate, Bigfoot crying, beefing with the locknets, monster kracking, and the Ohio River. I mean, people are posting some hilarious takes as to what this could be. But it came about because you were reached out to Local twelve and sent us to the audio and said this isn't just me. I mean, this is being talked about in all the Facebook groups and.
Speaker 4: When can you guys help us out.
Speaker 3: The Clifton neighborhood, mount Airy north Side and Camp Washington are the neighborhoods that had been hearing this sound a lot. So you guys are guessing something mechanical? Is that what I'm hearing?
Speaker 2: Well, I was just laying out the possibilities out there of what it could be. I really I can't. I like to think I'm pretty good at identifying something that that is a mechanical sound, because I've been around airports for for so long and I've heard all sorts, you know, I was in the in the Air Force and heard all sorts of different mechanical sounds, and I really I hear that, and I cannot put my finger on it and say for certain that that's coming from an animal, that's coming from a human, something that's been reproduced, or its some mechanicals. I just can't put my finger on exactly what it might be.
Speaker 3: After our first story aired, someone who did not want to be named remain anonymous sends a message to Marilla and basically said that this person has.
Speaker 1: We've lost Megan. Megan, we lost Megan. We'll try to Joe, try to get her.
Speaker 4: On back on.
Speaker 1: But I think where she was going on with that.
Speaker 2: The reporter who did the story, she followed up on it, Marilla Porter Uh went to the cs C SX rail.
Speaker 1: Yard and Dan Neezer and to set the scene here Clifton Camp, Washington North side, I think Mount Airy. They're all almost if they're not contiguous, they're all close together there. And there's a big railway that goes right through that area. Yeah, that's down there in the Queen here in Queen's Gate as well. Joe, let us know if you get Meghan back, Queen's Gate right there as well.
Speaker 2: Yep. But if you read the story, they talk about SX rail yard and possibly one of their engines that moves trains around in the yard, which another interesting fact about that yard. Is they still they use gravity to move a lot of those trains. So you'll see we used to fly over it in helicopter all the time. Yeah, and and you would see these these train cars moving by themselves, and it's because the rails are sloped in such a way that they're just they just let gravity do the work, and so these cars move around based on that little bit of slope and they just rolled where they need to go.
Speaker 1: Dan As I like to say, you know a lot about a lot from your reporting career, and that this is yet another example that we do have. Megan Bonjello back from Local twelve and Megan, I think you're right mid sentence, and if you've got that thought, continue on.
Speaker 3: I was talking about the source that talked to Morella who said it's an older trim engine. So basically they said, this railcar is used to push and pull, you know, different trains throughout the rail yard and it needs repaired and that's why it was revving loudly and sounding so awful and so loud. And I'm sure you know the folks that reached out to us that it was a quality.
Speaker 4: Of life thing.
Speaker 3: They were not getting any sleep but the but the thing here is Megan, and you correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Did CSX really did not? Really did not nail that down. They did not say, yes, this sound is coming from one of our engines, a piece of equipment that needs that needs attention, and we're you know, it's scheduled to be fixed and it's going to be going on a CSX did not come out and say that, did they right that?
Speaker 3: We have an exact quote, and I'm going to read it to you because it's as you know, these PR people put out statements and you've got to have to read between the lines. So the quote is I'm not able to substantiate the rumor that specific specific CSX locomotive is the source of the noise. Locomotives are not left running unattended for extended periods, and equipment requiring meintenance is handled through established operating and mechanical protocols. But after our story aired, after both of our story aired, I will say, according to Marella, the sound is not happening anymore. People are in these Facebook groups and have contacted her and said something must have happened at the Railyard to fix it. Because we are not hearing that loud, screeching siren anymore. So I think if it was the locomotive that you know, a lot of people are the engine that needed work done, as a lot of people thought they might have gotten it taken care of.
Speaker 1: Megan love hearing the power of local journalism there and great work on this and just as chuckling quietly as you were mentioning the railway, because from my time on the business and political desk at the Inquirer, some of the more difficult people to deal with are the railroad folks. They tend to not like to talk to the to the media or answer any any At least they gave you some answer.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, but you a statement, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Megan, are these these are all just to be clear, these are folks who who live in these neighborhoods, or or at least some of the folks who live in these neighborhoods are pretty used to hearing trains pretty regularly. But this is a whole other pitch of a sound.
Speaker 3: Correct, yes, Because it was so loud, a siren like, and it was whirling and it went up and down. So that was the noise that really had people in North Side Clifton Camp, Washington and in those areas really scratching their heads like we've heard stuff before, but this one, this one's different.
Speaker 2: So last night was Christmas, so as far as you know, no one, no one heard this or reported this on what either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. And as far as you know today, when I.
Speaker 3: Talked to Marella this morning, she said that it's the noise suddenly stopped right around Christmas Eve.
Speaker 5: So conspiracy very interest if you want to, you want to go out on the limit that at July, or if maybe the CSX rail yard got that old engine sex.
Speaker 1: Speak speaking of noises, I'll show this to both of you. I'm sitting there on Christmas Eve watching Netflix or something and then just start hearing like ba boom, boom boom, and I'm like and then I realized, like there's fireworks. And the next day I've never heard fireworks on Christmas Eve, but this was. And this was later at night too. I don't know, did you guys hear that in any of you? I live in Wyoming and that was uh. And then of course the Facebook was not too pleased the next morning about it because it was later like ten pm. Have you all ever heard in your neighborhood's ever heard fireworks on Christmas?
Speaker 2: Even?
Speaker 1: I've heard them on you know, January thirty first, but outside of July fourth, of course, there's some people like to think of July of Independence Day as July first, second, third, and fourth.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, I'm out in Green Township and I didn't hear anything in Green Township.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I when I first was you know the story, I was like, oh, yeah, we speaking of noises, but yeah, not out in Anderson Dan.
Speaker 2: You know what, Every once in a while, I will hear like something you just described. I'll hear a loud boom or maybe a series of booms. There was there was something going on a few weeks ago where we heard a boom and then ten to fifteen minutes would pass and we hear another one, and then we heard another. I think we wound up here in three or four that night. But it's just one of those weird things. Yeah, But Megan, I would say to you that just because people haven't heard it for the last two or three nights, I mean when they first reported this, were they were they saying this happened every night or was it sporadically, because it seems to me if it was every night, we would have more recordings than just the one that we played there leading into this this interview.
Speaker 3: I think it was almost every night for at least a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was.
Speaker 3: Definitely a new constant sound that was keeping people up. It wasn't just like on a Thursday and then again on a you know, Friday a few days later. I mean, it was pretty prevalent. I mean it was It's all the buzz in those neighborhoods for sure.
Speaker 1: Well and in your story, uh you also you quoted a father and a son and the sun. He says, it kind of stresses me out because I don't know what it is. It's kind of scary, which, you know, putting, I'm glad you guys talked to a kid because it putting in that context, you're like, that's you know, interesting again, like when you're used to hearing the railway, you got to get used to it where I live, Like, I live three blocks from a rail line, and it annoyed me for the first two years I lived there. But but then when you saw on something else like this, and then you start thinking about kids and sleeping at night, and I could see where with stressing shut out.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean some of them said it usually starts at ten pm to go until three or four am, but it's unpredictable as to you know when it's going to happen or how long.
Speaker 2: So yeah, see, I had I had no idea what was going on that long. I mean for that, I had no idea was that you know that duration of the time to where it's several hours to where if it's just kind of a one time thing that you know, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But Megan Montngello, thank you so much for it for being here. I tell your colleague Marilla Porter, we certainly appreciate her work on this, and I have not met her yet, but I'll certainly hope to get a chance to do that someday. But Megan, all the best to you and your great family, and have a great New Year and all the rest of it. And I hope we get a chance to talk against them.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Have a great new year, Thanks Megan, Happy New Year, Megan mont Jello.
Speaker 2: I mean, I had such a great time working with her. We had so much fun back in the day when guys worked together and we worked. We worked at Fox nineteen together for a while and then uh, and then I got a job anchor in the morning show up there she had. She was up there before me in Dayton at ABC twenty two and Fox forty five, and we anchered the morning shown show.
Speaker 1: So we had a long time. Well, both of you had to drive all the way up to date for that. Huh yeah, yeah, well time today. I drove back and forth to Dayton every day. What time do you have to get up for that? I I let it took me exactly one hour. And and you got to remember, this was it. This was at two thirty in the morning, right, So that's what time you'd leave your house. Yeah, I'd leave my I would roll out of my driveway precisely at two thirty every morning, and I would roll into the station at three thirty and I and I was there. But you got to remember, you know, this was two thirty in the morning, So there was hardly ever any when would you go on the air? Five We were on the air actually at four thirty. We had we had a short little show on the ABC affiliate at four thirty and then uh five, five, two, seven on the ABC and then seven to nine, I mean on the Foxville There. That's a whole other world of the media there, because you know, I did a I did my call. I had a column when WLW hired Tom Brenneman, and he was telling me that was his big the biggest concern about adapting to getting up at three in the morning on a regular basis, And he said he talked to Sheila Gray, who's been house just blows me away that Sheila Gray has been doing that morning show for about twenty five plus years. Sheila is she's I mean, that is like you have to go to bed while all your friends or your family are out doing fun things or whatever. I'm sure the amount of sacrifice you have to make this one in the summertime, you know you're you're getting bed at seven, seven thirty at night.
Speaker 2: It's day. It was still daylight out, and the neighbors and mowing, the mowing, the arts on the windows. But I got But so we want to hear from you, the listener. Yes you've heard this sound, tell us what you think it is. And when we come back I've got a twist on this story. Five one three seventh little twist. I don't think the story is over, Okay, I'm just saying I got a little twist.
Speaker 1: Five one, three, seven, four nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one. Let's get too traffic and weather. What are we got?
Speaker 6: And you see health, You'll find comprehensive care so personal, makes your best to moral possible, boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more. You see health dot com about a twenty five minute delay on seventy one south at two seventy five. Three lanes are taken up left lanes with an accident that has slowdowns back to right around fields irdle and the police on the scene getting it taken care of. Seventy five southbound approaching Norwood lateral crash your reported. Now that's off in the right shoulder In Kentucky. It's seventy five north bout approaching twelfth the street. Our left flane block delays back to Buttermilk Pike. Also seventy five north by the Dixie Highway, just getting moored of an accident off from the right shoulder. Police on the scene here in southbound seventy five were on a Reagan Highway to Norwood Ladal, a couple of minute delays through the road to work my bricksh REMP. News Radio seven hundred double D weld up with.
Speaker 1: You and from your nine first Warning forecast. Today, mostly cloudy, scattered rain, a high of sixty four. Tonight still mostly cloudy, mild a low of forty three. Saturday, mostly cloudy, comfortable high at fifty five, some rain chances at night. Tomorrow night mild temperature still a low of forty eight. We're going to keep those mile temperatures rolling into Bengals Sunday, sixty seven degrees at in a light rain at game time Sunday. You're listening to news Radio seven hundred WLW Welcome back to the Eddie and Rocky Show. Jason Williams alongside Dan Carroll filling in for Edward Edward our Fingers and Rocky boyman Uh Dan, if you will let me, may set it up this way. If you're hearing weird noises in your neighborhood, we want to hear from you. If you caught our last segment with Megan Manngelo from Local twelve talking about the story several neighborhoods around the city hearing an awfully weird noise, which one of the folks they interviewed described it as a tornado, hearing it at odd hours of the night, at all different types of all different times of the day, randomly. It has stopped apparently last couple of last couple of days like that. After the last couple of days, after Local twelve gone on this story and started pushing I don't know, does it have to do with the railroad, because they asked questions of the railroad no CSX, which I don't know, maybe some kind of weird machinery there. But they're saying this is a high pitched tornado like we heard it earlier. Is it's you know, it is a cross between a tornado and an airplane and an emergency siren. But if you're hearing that weird noise in your neighborhood, you don't have to be in one of those neighborhoods we mentioned. Your hearing it somewhere else, give us a call five one, three, seven, four hundred, the big one. And even if you're not hearing that one specific weird noise, we saw some stories of people saying they're hearing weird noises in their neighborhood and they don't even live near there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those ways, those neighborhoods mentioned in the in the in the Local twelve story are just north of and pretty much adjacent to the Queen's Gate area where the CSX rail yard kind of hub yet is. So it makes sense that those those would be the places where you hear it. So I was I knew I wanted to talk about this today when all when I saw this story. And here's the thing. I saw the story earlier this week. I saw the headline, didn't really pay attention to it, and it popped up again today as we're doing a massive show prep that we always does, and I said, you know, I'm going to read this and I thought, man, this is really interesting. This is is weird sound, especially when I got to the part where CSX did not actually confirm that that sound was coming from its rail yard. They you know, they.
Speaker 1: Stopped the last ye.
Speaker 2: So I went to I went to because look, when when people hear stuff like this and they want to chime in on, what do they do? They go to social media? Right, So I I look, I have a Facebook page. I don't look at it, but maybe once every couple of weeks. I'm I'm on my EX my EX account fairly regularly, and I'm not gonna well, I look at my EX every day, do a little scrolling, you know, when I get up, get some maybe get some story ideas. The ideas are so different news. So anyway, I go on to u X and there is a young lady who posted, uh the sound and and if you if you miss the sound, we played it in the first Hey, Joe Waldell, can you get that ready? Let's cue that up again. There was a young lady who posted about hearing, you know, hearing this unusual sound, and so she actually we had audio of it, and it's on her Facebook page, and so we brought it with us here today Joe Audell hit that again. Let's hear that sound once again. Here we go.
Speaker 1: Maybe Joe's getting he's getting blasted by here we go?
Speaker 2: Is that a humpback whale? Oh? Is it? Is it bigfoot? The calls are coming in from all across the region too. Well here, okay, before we got to the break, I told you I had a twist to this story. Yes, So Christina I got a hold of her. She texted me and here's and here's what she told me. Okay, and she lives in the Mount Healthy area. All right, she claims that she has heard such a sound as this, but she says that sound that we just played there. Even though she posted it, she did not record it. That recording was sent to her from an individual who lives in Goshen. Now, if you know where Goshen is, that's that's a pretty fur pieces from Camp from the north side Camp Washington.
Speaker 1: I mean that's Goshen. That's got to be.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say that is a good twenty five maybe thirty miles east northeast of these neighborhoods that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, that plays, it plays right into our callers, because we're getting callers from all kinds, even farther farther.
Speaker 2: The way Goshen potentially. And I love look, I love Goshen. Those are my people, man, I love I love Goshen. I go to Goshen and it's like they did they you know, if if they had a key to the city, they would give.
Speaker 4: It to me.
Speaker 1: Really, they love me out in Goshen. I don't know why. Of all my time of covering all kinds of different things in this town for many, many years. I have never been to Goshen. You should try it sometime. Anyway, let's get to George and Indiana. Who's hearing a weird sound on?
Speaker 2: Hey George, Hi.
Speaker 7: Guys, Hey Hey, I'm first time, long time for Dan. I've never called in this show before. I'm a retired railroader.
Speaker 2: Oh, here we go, here we have.
Speaker 7: I worked as a clerk of the yard master at the Queen's Gate Yard from seventy five to ninety.
Speaker 2: All right, so give us the lowdown on the railard.
Speaker 7: That large rail yard opened in July eighty one. And what might be that set I can't I can't address the Goshen sound that could be. That could be the breaks on the trains. I think that's Norfolk and Southern that runs along the close to the US fifty two and heads east. But going back, going back to the CSX issue, there's a large humping operation that's twenty four to seven three sixty five and it's usually done with an automated engine, and there usually is a crew member at the top of that hill and he separates those cars. They go into separate classification tracks for new trains and there's what's called car retarders halfway down and two thirds of the way down that slow these cars down, that will put off a high trill sound when it applies those brakes. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 2: That made that makes sense to me? Was it was I right that that yard that a lot of those cars move around by gravity?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 7: So it's yeah, it's down, you know, and yeah and yeah, and they sometimes you'll have ten and fifteen cars together rolling rolling in. Of course they'll clang into other cars that are already in those tracks, but they have to be careful so that they don't busch the knuckles that hold those cars together.
Speaker 1: George.
Speaker 2: But see, I would think that people who live in those neighborhoods would would be familiar with the sounds that come from the rail yard. And and so if you hear something that's it's like that, it's something you hear all the time. You probably in a way, you get used to it and you sort of drown that out, you sort of don't even hear it anymore. This is new. This was so unusual that they, you know, they at least some of them, but reported that to the local.
Speaker 7: Twelve And if this is something that you're complaining about the past few days. It might be a situation where their furnaces aren't running, they got their windows up and they're hearing it.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's interesting. Yeah, good point, great point, great call, George, thanks for weighing in on this. Let's jump around the region here and get to Paul and Eaton, who wants to weigh in on weird weird noises as well.
Speaker 8: Hey Paul, we're up here in Springfield at the local hospital. There's gas turbine backup generators that have to be tested, and you can hear it from my house. We've tracked them down. When you get a low cloud cover in winter, fun will vibrate.
Speaker 4: Can travel up to a couple of miles.
Speaker 8: The Speedway Corporation Etan has one too, you can hear this sound, and a lot of other corporations have these, and it's a it's.
Speaker 2: A diesel backup.
Speaker 8: They have to burn off the fueld once a year to replace new fuel, so little town would last longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is this how the heck did you track this down?
Speaker 4: We went and looking for it.
Speaker 8: Really at the back of the spring of hospital. You can hear him definitely, you can walk right up to them. Huh, they're very loud.
Speaker 1: Well, does it sound like that sound? Did you hear that sound we played earlier?
Speaker 8: Does it sounds similar to that a large whizzing tornado?
Speaker 2: Okay, especially with a low clo.
Speaker 8: Covered Dayton has a couple of huge ones down by ud where the old dpn L plant was, right off seventy five. Yeah, if you're in Karen Park you can hear them.
Speaker 1: Huh. So there you go, great stuff, Paul, Hey, Mary, Chris is happy New Year. Let's jump to uh let's jump over to uh Ed and Cole Rain. We're all over We're all over the region here and your noise they hey ed?
Speaker 9: Yeah, how you guys doing.
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: Actually I just asked my wife about that last night when we were laying down to go to bed. It sounded like somebody was playing music outside in my front yard. Really, and I'm like, do you hear that? And of course she said no, But I'm like, it sounds like somebody is out in the front yard playing music, especially the guitar. Did you get up to do with some phenomena going around or what but sounded strange?
Speaker 1: Did you get up and go look or.
Speaker 2: Hell map outside maybe Christmas carolers.
Speaker 9: They want Christmas carols set out of the house. It was just weird. It was just weird because I hear it, and I woke my wife up because she and I'm like, do you hear the do you hear that music outside? And I did get up and look out the window, thinking maybe my neighbor was in the car, you know, jamming or something. It was not soul out there, but I could still hear the musa. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Great, Thanks Ed, Mary, Chris, Happy New Year to you.
Speaker 9: Wait no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: I checked out radio.
Speaker 9: I thought maybe it was our cell phone, so I looked at both of them too. I was thinking maybe maybe somehow there was something coming through the cell phones that we didn't look up or whatever. But it wasn't bad either.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks Ed, thank you, thank you, and thank you.
Speaker 1: I've told you this before. I've got radios all over the house.
Speaker 2: I've got them in the basement, I've got one out in the garage because I got one on the back porch. I got one you know that I that I have upstairs. And every once in a while, all you know, you know, all be in various parts of the house. I always like to have the radio. One good luck trying to buy a radio nowadays. By the way, I told you that's I always like to have the radio on. And every once in a while I'll leave it on, and so you get in bed, it's lean, it's late at night, and everything's really quiet, and you can hear that radio in the distance. And my wife will shove me, hey, wait.
Speaker 1: Go turn the radio. See I leave mine on out and I have one out in the garage. I'll go out there and sit This is true story. My wife can vouch for this. I'll go out there and late at night and then I'll fall asleep and just walk because in our garage you have to walk outside to go back, you know, like there's no inside door into our garage.
Speaker 2: So I got I got a.
Speaker 1: Nice launch hair, and I sit there and listen to the Reds game, or I'll listen to you sometimes sitting there, not not there's no temperature controlling there. But and my wife, that's like one day I actually slept all the way till sunrise. I just nodded off listen to the radio.
Speaker 2: But I do it when the when the Reds are on the West Coast. Yeah, yeah, that's especially on the weekend. I'm out there on the back porch. Man, I got the radio going on.
Speaker 1: We're we're we're continuing our tour of weird noises across the region. We're going to Tim up in Franklin's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that Gentleman earlier from day and he was talking about that noise back there across youded or like bake look like big stoners. But I've been I've been on a thing watching over the holidays, the Ghostbuster.
Speaker 4: So maybe we need to call the Ghostbuster.
Speaker 2: Maybe thanks, do we call the Cincinnati office of Ghostbuster.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Sandra and cleaves weird noises she is hearing.
Speaker 4: Thank oh okay.
Speaker 10: In the Book of Revelation in the Bible, it talks about the trumpet sound when Jesus Christ comes back to us the second time. And also, I know, if you're familiar with them, the Left Behind movies. The most recent one was made by Kevin Slibo, and there's other ones that were made in the past. The Left Behind that involves different types of I guess the catching away of the Bride of Christ, which might be like a tornado if you're catching away and David A. R. White also made some movies called A six six six The Mark Unleashed, which also deals with that subject matter. So that's something to think about as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sandra, appreciate your call. That's a good point, makes a good point. That was a wide array of calls there, but we got to get to traffic and weather.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie and Rocky out today Jason Williams alongside DC Dan Carroll. You like that hard rocking guitar, don't you. I do get fired up. I got to see him, folks, He's like banging his head against them all. I'm always I even got the got my hands going everything every time, hair flopping around, hair flying Not so much on that one. That a long mullet you got in the back there. Uh anyway, Uh, The Eddie and Rocky Friday Edding Rocky Show wouldn't be a Friday Eddie and Rocky Show without this guy. As we continue our tour of the Local twelve newsroom today, Richard Skinner, our good friend Local twelve sports Merry Christmas. Richard Skinner, how you doing.
Speaker 4: Brother, Merry Christmas? Do you guys as well.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you had a good one. Well, let's jump right to it. Bengals game Sunday. I thought I thought we moved on to the Reds by this time. No, okay, we still got two more games we got to finish out the season. Yeah, I just want to ask you this, like where what do you you know? I know, there's all kinds of different schools. I thought, like, oh gosh, worst thing for them to win out and show the front office that you know, hey, they're not that far off. Like what do you make of all that?
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I know, like you want to win obviously, but this team always puts you in a weird spot and making you feel a little bit like, eh, I don't know where do you? Where do you stand on that stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean that. That's kind of what I wrote after after Sunday's game that listen, the players, the coaches, those associated with the Bengals should feel good about that win. You know, you work hard week to do that and the end result is you want to go win. They should feel great about that.
Speaker 1: The players.
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow, Yeah, absolutely, But the other part is the caveat was the front office can't be fooled by what takes place in the last three games. Can you be encouraged in some ways if you see the two rookie linebackers continue to progress. Can you be encouraged by the way Miles Murphy has played and then hopefully plays the rest of the last couple of games. Can you be you know, encouraged by maybe seeing Dax phil being outside corner where next year you go in on paper with Dak Hill and dj Turn you're looking for a slack corner and do me the sounds maybe Jalen Davis who's been a journeyman who has never started a game until this year in his career, and it's actually shown up very nicely in the last you know, five games. Did you find maybe your future slot corner at least the depth piece. But you can't be totally convinced that everything's okay. You still don't get much of a pass rush. You're getting nothing from an interior defensive tackles. The linebackers are still learning, and can you afford for them to keep learning next year? Do you need them to really hit the ground running so you can't in a safety position while Jordan Biddle has his ups and downs. You know, the Son's mostly had downs, so you needed to fix that area. There's a lot to fix, and you just can't say, well, the last three games sure showed some signs of progress. Yeah, they did show some maybe, but not enough to convince you that you don't need to fix three or four different position groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I agree. I couldn't agree anymore because when I think about where this Bengals team is right now, I think about you know, those times you're driving down the road and you don't you might not have the radio on, and you hear something in your car and you're like, oh my god, the car of the car is making a weird noise, and then the next couple of days you don't hear it, and you're thinking, hey, I fix I'm just kind of hoping that's not the situation that the Bengals run offices and where you're gonna look at and and look, these next two games they've got coming up. I think I think the Bengals should actually win these games, especially Sunday here against the I think, yeah, but you know, don't. We'll just win those games and say, you know what, it fixed itself and we're ready to go for next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, and again that's not the poo poove. Like I said that, if you see some progress from individual players or even a unit, because the defense is the defense has shown progress since the bye week, is it. Is it an elite unit in this league right now? No, it's shown some progress, but it does need help. You need at least a three technique defensive tackle. You need another defensive end because you don't know what Shamar Stewart's all about. As I said, I think you're learning a little bit about Miles Murphy in a positive way, but that's one guy you need. You need more than that. And so yeah, I just I I fear that because I think we've seen that before. Like I think that was kind of what took place last year, right they won the last five games. Yep, look back on the season and said, man, we had all these one score losses and we started playing better down the stretch. Let's just on this back and it's a comment. It's still six a week because at the combine, dude, Toban literally said, I don't want to pay for the same team. Well, you paid for a group that's worse, to be honest with you, And I think that they got a false sense of security by those last five games last season, Like, see, you know we're going to change defensive coordinators, he's going to fix the problem. And we lost all these one score games and turned one of those around and we're in the playoffs, turned two of those around, and you're probably in the hut for the division. No, you got a false sense of security I just hope they don't fall for that again over these last few games.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And then you throw on top of that the competition. You know, quinn Ewers, I mean the Dolphins were mailing it in last week. I mean quinn Ewers was a seventh round pick for a reason and making his first start. I mean, they look like they were playing a preseason game, the Dolphins. And again, I don't want to take anything away from the players and coaches of the Bengals because that was a nice win. But you're you're exactly right here and you're throw in Arizona, they're out of it, Cleveland coming here next a week from Sunday, there out of it. I think this is a real like this is I think I think fans have every right to be a little bit that sounds so weird to say a little concerned about a couple of Bengals blowouts here and what it means for the future.
Speaker 4: I agree with that. And and to your point, I mean, your last three quarterbacks you're going to face this season are Quin yours making his first start, journeyman Jacobe Brisset, who's played for a thousand teams in this league yep, And then probably should have were Sanders who's still completely unproven and really hasn't proven much when he has played against the Brown team. That's not very good. So yeah, it's not like you're playing a who's who of quarterbacks down the stretch.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not like that stretch where you played Lamar Jackson, Josh Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. Again, it's it's not that stretch at all or that so Drake May on the front end of that that stretch. So you know, you're playing three bad teams with three different variations of you know, middling to less than Middland quarterback play playing defenses in the case of Arizona that's just not very good. Just don't get buffaloed by what you do well.
Speaker 2: What will be an indicator to you that the front office is taking this seriously and they are making moves to uh to improve the overall team this season. I mean are looking at free agency, You're looking at what they do in the draft, or a combination of those things.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Both. I'm really interested when we get the chance to talk to Duke Tobin in late February at the Combine and the Indy kind of what his stance will be on that is it? You know, are we gonna gonna you know, look to address everything to the draft or address a lot through free agency. I mean the last time we were able to attract attack the free agency hard on the defensive side of the ball was after the twenty twenty season one to twenty twenty. They signed Trey Henderson and signed Chobi Ouge, and signed signed Mike Kilton and signed Larry Ogunjobi the defensive tackle me And they really attacked it hard and it paid off. And you have a chance to do that again and a chance to hopefully kill some some needs to the draft. The problem is that the most recent have not been great. I know there's some revision's history at the moment on the twenty twenty three draft. Yeah, I'm I'm still the jury is still out on that one. For me, I needed to see more from some guys in that draft. But there were parts of that draft that they deserve. I mean, Chase Brown was a was a Day three pick, and he's panned out very nicely. Yes, you know, DJ Turner's panned out very nicely.
Speaker 1: From that new guy.
Speaker 4: You guys just a couple of guys from the draft, right, a couple of guys from a draft you.
Speaker 1: Need far more than Miles Murphy. I'm not ready to annoying him yet. He was the first round taking that draft. He's had a couple of nice games, but I mean he got he looked awful on that first touchdown run that the Dolphins had the other day.
Speaker 2: I mean he just got smoked.
Speaker 1: He wasn't the only one, but the angle and it's like, eh, I don't think we're quite there yet with Miles Murphy.
Speaker 4: I mean, this guy, just you you have taken nice steps more and I'm with you on that, but this I'm not with you. You annoying him like he's turned the corner. Hey, he's taking nice steps forward. I'll give him that part.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Lamar Jackson there and what you were talking about, and it reminds me of Lamar Jackson in the news right now. Baltimore Sun comes out the other day with the report he's falling asleep in meetings. Him and Harball aren't getting John Harball aren't getting along. What do you make of the situation? Harball then came out yesterday and said, Nope, everything's all great with Lamar. And what do you make of the situation in Baltimore? They're basically their backs against the wall right now. Is the Baltimore Ravens run with Lamar Jackson coming to an end?
Speaker 4: I think they shot him in this offseason. I mean, you've won three playoff games with Lamar Jackson as greater than individual talents, He's been stop being great in the playoffs. He hasn't taken them where you thought they should go in the playoffs. And it's not just him, obviously, but quarterbacks are defined by that, right, I mean, they're defined by what you do in the playoffs. And he has not had great playoffs success. And at some point and with you know, he's getting again not up there in age, but another year goes by and he's another here of hits on that body and they've tried to limit him in the one game the last couple of years, but that's you know, he's still there's still a one at Hardy still does some great things in the one game. But I think for them, at some point you have to say this isn't working for whatever reason and it's time to start over. And I'm not so sure they're not too.
Speaker 2: Far Apart from that skinning on another subject, the college football playoffs. Are you enjoying what you've seen so far? And you know those games involving James Madison and I forget who the other one was, but it seems Lane, Yeah, too, Lane. It seems like that was a self inflicted wound when when you look at the way those two games went down. Does does the NCAA need a couple of great games here coming up on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day to to sort of recover from that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, obviously the Alabama Oklahoma game was a great game and a great time usedtory programs. But then from that point forward, the Miami Texas A and M game was a competitive game, it just wasn't a great game. And then the other two were the blowouts. You just mentioned, but man, these four matchups coming up were just outstand I mean, Oregon Texas Tech is people have we probably watched enough of either one of those, and I understand that wholeheartedly. But those are two great teams that wins the national champions Texas Tech's really good. You know, I still would put my money on Ohio State if if I had some money to put on that. You know, Indiana's obviously such a great story. No, these matchups are outstanding. So you got through the fluff of the first round, you know, there's gonna be a lot of people looking back and saying, you know, we got to change the system again because we can't allow James, the James Madisons and the two Wanes to both get in maybe one of them, but not both. I think you'll see it changing that system. To talk to them, they're going to go to fourteen or sixteen teams, which is probably the sweet spot to be honest with you, and maybe change some of the criteria for how teams get into this thing. But once we're now through this into the quarterfinal round, these are all four on paper outstanding matchups.
Speaker 1: Do you do you like the setup the schedule right now? I mean we're going we're going on a week and a half Wednesday, December thirty first. Next next Wednesday will be our first or the playoffs or resume? What over going on? Two weeks?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 2: Do you like that break?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 4: No? Not just going on that. Don't forget the teams that got the buy haven't played since ye in the championship. Yeah, and that to me, if you're going to do that, then I think those teams that got the buy should have should have a chance to play on their whole Deald. I think that that that. I know they're trying to keep some of the balls back and of those bull sites, but boy, I'd love to see those home site games. I will say the atmosphere for the first four games, they may not have been great games, but the fact that the home sites they were just outstanding. And so now you get a chance if you do this again for for for four more home site games. I think that if you're gonna continue to do it the way you're doing it, especially with these teams who played back in early December and haven't played since, give them a little bit of them of an advantage to get a chance to get a home game they've earned that, they earned a bye for goodness, say so let them earn a home game on top of it.
Speaker 1: Well, and also you're throwing in now. Now is where the kind of quote New Year's Day, New Year's Eve bowl game? The major bowls? The Rose Bowl was, uh, you know, the Cotton Bowl, the the what I say, are the Sugar Bowl like that? It's like those don't even really mean anything anymore now, but those that's gonna be this round of playoff games. Uh, you know, Ohio State's playing Miami and the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. That's like, okay, no one cares.
Speaker 4: Yeah to me, they're playing them in the quarterfinals of the college football playoffs. Bingo, the pop Tarts the pop Tarts Bowl from from a name bowl has more name recognition than what. It's not the Cotton Bowl. Players, it's the quarter final round of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: The pop Tarts Bowls. They're like, I mean, we're talking about the pop Tarts Bowl. That's one of the few. Like you're gonna have to get creative, and they did. But as you, I tell you what, Skinny, I used to live for bowl season. I know you and I have talked a lot about but I I have I have not watched outside of those few playoff games, I watched most of that James mass and Oregon game. I haven't watched any any of the bowl games at all.
Speaker 2: None of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I mean we've had we had a couple in here in the studio, but like you know, other than that that I had, the whole Potato Bowl was a lot better, and I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 4: That's always one of my favorite. I can't even tell you, I don't know, but it's got name recognition. That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, are there you know we're hearing a lot of talk of well, these things are thinking the pat do you see a day where bulls are going to are gonna go away or there's only going to be a handful of them for you know, some of those g five u uh, you know, the James Madison's and the Marshalls of the world that you know don't make the playoff that they'll still be able to go play in a bowl game.
Speaker 4: I mean, they thought hard though to keep the sanctity of the Rose Bulls and the Orange Bowls and the Sugar Bowls. Yeah, but they're really they really aren't. I do think those other bulls though. I think once they change this calendar, the portal calendar, I think that'll help a little bit when they push it back, because right now, I mean got the kids are just jumping out all these minor bowls saying the heck with it, I'm moving on to the next school. Well, yep, you really don't have to do that right away. You may stick around and say, you know what, I'm going to finish this. I hope that's the case, because that's the problem anymore, is the opt outs just change change a lot of the sanctity of other Bowl games for goodness sakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard Skinner from Local twelve, I'll see awesome stuff. See you down at the pay Course Stadium on Sunday, Bud. Always great having Skinny on, Always great insights.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I've known Skinny for since the late nineties from our days at the Cincinnati Post.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: He's always been a fountain of knowledge on any sports. He's a great guest in this town since way way before.
Speaker 2: That, The Two Angry Guys. It was a great show.
Speaker 1: That was a two person radio show. Before that was two person radio show. Before that was really an end thing. Gamble and Skinny Yep, great guys, they were fun to listen to. Oh absolutely, bring him back anyway. But for God's sake, charge, let's get the trafficking. Well, what's up? Welcome back to the Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie and Rocky are out today. Jason Williams alongside Dan Carroll. One point eight billion dollars? How much song in Arkansas went on the were worn?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 1: Did you play? Did you end up getting a ticket?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I had tickets and my sister for uh we we went to my brother's house on Christmas Eve and one of the things that she did was she bought I don't know that was seven or eight I think Powerball tickets and and so she passed out copies to everyone in the family and she said, if we hit this, we're gonna split it, which I thought was very cool. And so when I found out there was a winner today, I looked at the numbers. We didn't have a single number. Was the winner out of Oklahoma? No, Arkansas, Arkansas. So somebody in Arkansas won. But if listen to me, now, yes, if you bought a ticket in Ohio, there was a ticket sold in Ohio. That is worth a million dollars. So before you chuck those tickets, take a look at it. Have you looked at yours? Not all of them? How many did you? I looked at the one because much how much is it take? I think they're two bucks? But how I looked at the one that was the family one. We didn't have a single number on those I've got, I've got another one. I did buy another one that's out in the car, and I didn't bother to go out there and look at it. How does that work?
Speaker 1: By the way, Dan, so if the if the jackpot is one point eight billion, then how are there any other winners?
Speaker 2: If if you got and I believe this is right, there's there's six a total of six numbers drawn. So the here are the winning numbers, four to twenty five, thirty one, fifty two, fifty nine. The power ball is nineteen. The million dollar tickets have the first five numbers, but they don't have the power ball. So if you've got all five of those numbers, then you then you won a million bucks. Excellent. So that's not bad. No, I would be somewhat happy with that. Now I'd be upset that I didn't get the one point eight billion, but you know, a million would put a little sav on.
Speaker 1: Do they actually have the TV show where they draw the ping pong balls?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: What I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can so I used to watch with a Remember cash Explosion double Play out of Cleveland, oh Man. I used to watch that late night Saturday nights. If I'm flipping around and it's on, I'll watch it. Sharon Dick, bick Noll or something, remember I do remember? Yeah, that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: I think. I think the Lottery Show is still on. I couldn't tell you when it's on.
Speaker 1: But I always enjoyed it because you'd see people from all over the state, you know, and I know that little town, and you.
Speaker 2: Like see people because they try to make a like a game show, right, and and there are people who are there who have no business being on a game correct, which is part of the entertainment of watching it. So someone in Ohio is good for a million bucks. Congratulations to them. Could that be Dan Carroll? I don't know, I'll have to I have how long do you have to figure that out?
Speaker 1: Uh? Probably a year? You do, all right?
Speaker 2: You got some time? So you know, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna maybe wait, I haven't seen it reported yet where the ticket was sold. If it was sold in the Cincinnati area, then maybe I'll check it out. So so now we'll see what happens. But you know, we always talk about the Bengals making some bad PR moves, yes, dropping the ball. Well, the Bengals are not immune in this particular situation. In this case, it's the New York Jets. Okay, they're they're right there.
Speaker 1: So the New York Jets have a promotion and I guess they've been doing it all year long, and like the big finale was going to come up this weekend where they challenged someone to kick a field goal, and I guess they're going to do this during halftime and they could win one hundred thousand dollars from the team. Yes, so the contestant, or at least one of the contestants, was going to be this young woman. She's thirty three years old.
Speaker 2: Her name is of course, I just had it right in front of me, but now I can't find her name. Ashley Costiano Gervasi, longtime Jets Jets fan, her dad, hardcore Jets fan, passed away, so she still attends the games and she does it in his honor. So this coming Sunday, she was going to get a chance to kick a field goal for one hundred thousand dollars this coming Sunday. Yeah, they found her that. She was out tailgating this past September at one of one of the Jets the Jets games. The people from the Jets saw her kick a field goal at a tailgate party and they said, we want you to be in this contest where you can kick a field goal for one hundred grand. And she's like, heck, yeah, I'll do it. And she told him she used to play Division IE soccer at Brookie University, yep, and they.
Speaker 1: Were fine with that. Okay, they were good, okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so the you know, all this, she's been out there practicing, she's been working on it. She's also a coach soccer coach at a local high school, Long Beach High School. She coaches the women's soccer team there. So here we are, just a few days before this event's supposed to happen. She's going to get her chance to kick a twenty five year field goal for one hundred grand.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: They tell her, well, we have rules that say you can't be a high school coach, so now she doesn't get to kick she can't be a high school coach a field goal. Yeah, it's okay. She told him straight up. She said, look, I used to play Division one. I'm a good kicker. And they said that great, come on and we want you. But now they find out, or they say and and then she's been practicing and she's been drilling, you know, for twenty twenty five yards boom boom, boom every time. So she's ready to go. And they come up a couple of days ahead of time and say, you know what, we can't let you kick it week. How bad is that? For a hundred what's one hundred grand to the Jets? Nothing? I mean, think about the great pr if this Galt makes a field goal at halftime in one of their games and they're and they're worse than the Bengals.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've got the story up too, like what's and looking at I mean this we're talking about a long time loyal fan and that's a that's a franchise too. I like the Bengals, like if you've hung in there with them, you you you've you've seen some stuff and just add this to the chapter. But this this gal, there's a picture of her and her dad or dad you know, just passed away, and you know they to go to the games together.
Speaker 2: So it's not like she's raking in tons of money being and and look just because a buddy of mine coaches soccer, and he doesn't mean he's a good soccer player, but he coaches. You coach baseball. How good of a baseball player are you?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I wasn't good. So yeah, I'm glad. I'm glad you admitted that. I had no idea what that answer is going to be. You know, I thought you might have played minor league ball or something. You know, couldn't hit the curve. I was a basketball guy, you and you hit the shoot the three pointer. Yeah, I mean I was a solid basketball player. There you go.
Speaker 1: High school Division two Ohio. I started on my high school team Beautif. We were good, very nice, But I was a scrappy guy. They put me on the beast.
Speaker 2: That's the only way they do it in Gallop Police, isn't it. They put him got to bring the d.
Speaker 1: They put me on the best, on the best offensive player for the other team offense or the guard the best guard. Yeah, but that would be bush league? Is that that you that's a bush League operation up there? I mean that that owner of that team is a nut?
Speaker 4: What he uh?
Speaker 2: What's his last job? Come on?
Speaker 1: Oh, and she was the only the only woman. She was the only woman to make it to the final round as well. For also, I'm looking at New York posts as I always do. It is Uh, there's a picture of her when she was a little kid like that in front of like, you know, wearing a looks like a Wayne Crabette jersey in front of a trophy a trophy case, right, And there's like all kinds of pictures her when she was a kid growing up, all these different Uh. There she is out in the tailgate lot with friends, like you're talking about a loyal, loyal fan here, spent thousands of thousands of dollars and not not only that, but she's helped convince others to be Jets fans.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt. But how are you in the p R Office of the Jets and this gal she's gone through This is this is from back in September. They chased it. She said, they chased me down in the parking lot to ask me to be part of this contest. So it wasn't like she was trying to scam them or anything like that, right, she told them straight up, you know who she was, where she worked the whole nine yards. And then on the you know the at the eleventh hour, they come in and say, no, I'm sorry, can't kick speaking of one hundred grands? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Speaking of the money this season, cat what's her name Castanillo Gervasi and her husband, Matthew Costiano Gervasi about two season tickets behind her family's other seats that her and her dad had for years in the two hundred level of the stadium for nearly three thousand dollars. So you're talking these folks spend thousands of thousands of dollars a year on the New York Jets, and this is how they this is how they thank her. I'm telling any man like it frustrates me because the NFL is expensive. Well, a lot of these a lot of.
Speaker 2: These sports are expensive.
Speaker 1: But the fact that when you hear stories like this, or when you hear stories about when the Bengals, you know, didn't didn't take that extra mile and clean off the seats. It's like, really, like, come on, come on, I just.
Speaker 2: I just hope the New York Post editorial board puts out an obed on this, because they will absolutely roast the owners the Jets. There some great they have some great editorials something. Hey New York Posts man, you do not want to get on the wrong side of those folks, because they can just skew it, get glued, screwed, barbecue all.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this happened. This happened in when Michael Jordan was playing for the Chicago Bulls. Same thing happened. Although the the guy, the guy made it, he did it. He there was a half wort shot for a million dollars. He made the shot. He'd played college basketball or something, And then they tried to go back and say, nope, you played college basketball. That was against the rules. But wait, like you already got through this. But apparently Michael Jordan himself took care of the guy, like made up the million himself or found you know, a couple of people to chip in and get him the million dollars. But like what I mean, especially for it doesn't matter if you played basketball, or you didn't play basketball, or you know, I could understand if this was someone who was a field goal kicker in high school and it was good at it and or college, yeah, college, Like I could see, you know what because of twenty five yard field goal, you know, for someone who's kicked field goals before. Not that not that big a deal. But like when you look at a half court shot, that the odds of making that for anyone, no matter Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Me and you, like, the odds are tough to make it half.
Speaker 2: And to do it at that what that precise time, that one time it counts. Yeah, sometimes you make. Sometimes they go in like, why have all these rules? I mean, I have all these rules. It's ridiculous. It's a it's a I mean you talk about unforced errors, yes, and the Jets. I really look, I don't wish anything bad for anyone, especially professional sports organizations, but come on, New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Okay, just you mean she might miss, she might miss, right, let her get her out there. I'm watching these videos of her practicing like she's making that, she's taking that.
Speaker 2: So you're putting the jinks on it right now.
Speaker 1: I like, you know, she tells the post. This is life changing money for me. She said, I was confident I could make I could have made it for a math teacher in high school. This is the first time I was hearing of any of these, any of these questions. I don't understand it anyway, Let's get the traffic. What's up out there?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie and Rocky out today.
Speaker 1: Jason Williams Dan Carroll rolling into our final hour of the week.
Speaker 2: We're back with you on Monday. He's got his mic and pressed the button. There we go. See that that that's the extent of the work I had to put in and had to reach all the way across here and press that button right strained strain your I did, I mean you musle?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 1: I might have are after playing golfield.
Speaker 2: Might have work workman's comp claim.
Speaker 1: This is what cracks you know you were sore after playing golf the other day, But you.
Speaker 2: Know it wasn't I just drove. I did, but it was fair, So I haven't. I haven't haven't played eighteen holes in a while. I was giving you heart.
Speaker 1: It was all good, though, were you shore and there in the upper body from the sun because you do that indoor place. I do, yeah, but you don't do a lot of walking around the door golf. You still walk a lot even when you drive a cart, you know, when when you have to stop the cart on the edge of you know, and go walking into the trees in the woods and all that kind of stuff. My son now thirteen year old O, my now thirteen year old son, H he plays golf.
Speaker 2: I don't play golf, but he uh was allowed to.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of our buddies, yeap took him golfing last spring. UH with a couple other dads and sons. This guy sat in because I'm Dad of the year or whatever, you are the dad of the year. He sat in for me because he's a golfer and I'm not. Well, he let uh, he let the kid drive. Well, let's just say he took out a sign. He took out some kind of stay on the cart pa. I think it was a stay on the cart pass sign too any any real damage now, Fortunately it didn't damage the cart at all.
Speaker 2: Those things expensive.
Speaker 1: Apparently they propped the sign back their photos. I'm like, I won't say where it was, but yes, all right, So here's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want to do this final hour, and I'm hoping for some some audience participation in this. Yes. And the question is what is the best thing that your boss or your company has ever done for you? And the reason I want to ask this question is because again the New York Post comes through and there's a guy in Louisiana. His name is Graham Walker. He is now the former CEO of a company called Firebond, and Firebond is a company that builds shelters for electrical equipment, high tech equipment, stuff like that, like if you've got stuff like this outside and you need a building specifically to house this stuff, and this is what this company does. So and they had it was the company was started by his father, had a lot of tough times back in the eighties, wound up actually firing a lot of people, had to let a lot of people go, but slowly built the company back up five hundred and forty full time employees. The guy is forty six years old, and he wound up selling the company to another company called Eaton. All right, so this guy sold the company for I believe the number is one point four billion dollars. Nice payday for this guy. Right. So in a lot of cases, a guy like that who owns the company, owns the majority of stock, they'll sell the company, they'll take their proceeds, and they'll go on with life. Do you know whatever the next chapter is for them? Meanwhile, and I don't know about you, but I've worked for different companies when those companies have changed ownership, and in most.
Speaker 1: Cases that's happened to me multiple times.
Speaker 2: What I've got from those companies was, well, you might be lucky to have a job after this after the change of ownership. That's pretty much the most things we got. But you're in you're in a media. Well that's a little that's true. Yeah. So anyway, this guy, as part of the deal, is selling the company. He said, I need my employees, of which there are five hundred forty employees of this company. So this is a nice mid sized company. I didn't rize there are that many people. When you five hundred forty employees in this small town in Louisiana. He said, as part of the deal, I need my employees to get some nice bonuses. So he negotiated a deal every and think about this, five hundred forty employees. Every employee got an average. Some employees got more, some got a little bit less. But out of five hundred forty employees, every one of those employees average is a bonus of four hundred forty three thousand dollars. That's awesome, six figure bonuses. I I have never seen anything like this. You know what a legacy that guy left. It costs him, you know, out of his deal that he's cutting, it costs him twenty four million dollars. And how much was the whole deal worth?
Speaker 8: Does it?
Speaker 2: Say? I think it's one point four billion? I think is what the one point seven billion? Oh there you go. Sold the company for one point seven billion. But still they'll make that twenty four million up quickly. Think about that. One of his employees, Lisa Key, twenty nine years old, started in nineteen ninety five making five dollars and thirty five cents an hour.
Speaker 1: And I guarantee you go up and down the that that company, and there are people like that in that company. And now look that's life changing money. Now she's fifty one, she manages a team of eighteen people. She used her bonus to pay off her mortgage and she opened a clothing boutique store in a near bool. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one guy said before this, I was living paycheck to paycheck. Now I can you know, now I can live my life. Another guy took his entire family on vacation to Cancun, Mexico. Others are paying down credit cards, buying cars, funding college tuition, retirement savings. One longtime assistant manager T. T. Blackwell is his name, sixty seven years old, got a bonus of several hundred thousand dollars and guess what he did retired retired done? How about that? And and that? I mean, but think about that. So this guy owns the company and he wanted to you know he he he said, look, I had a lot of people that stuck with me when this company was going through hard time. Yep, he but it says in here, you know, he continued to pay these people even though the company was struggling. But he said, little by little they build it back up into the I And you know, look, if someone wants to come and buy your company for one point seven billion dollars, you're doing something right. Yes, you got five hundred and forty employees and every single one of them. God. But now some of these bonuses are paid out over a span of five years, which to me seems they that's that's still a damn nice bonus. But think about that, and so the question is I thought about that. I have never been in a situation where I had a company that was I've had. Look, I've had a lot of the companies I worked for have done some nice especially I've worked in some smaller businesses, and it's the small business owners outside of the media or outside of the outside of me that that tend to be a lot more generous when you know, when Christmas time rolls around, stuff like that. I've never gotten a Christmas bonus but immediate because but I've never never expected It's just not something that happens. I'm not complaining about my own personal situation, but I would like to hear from others about maybe maybe you worked at a company where they did something similar, took care of the people who you know. This guy looked back and he said, look, he's forty six years old. He's fine, But he said, I want the other people to be fine. To my dad and got restless soul He owned a small business for a while, and that business eventually wound up going under. But I know at the time when that business was going under, the thing he was concerned about the most were the people who worked for him, and he did everything in his power to make sure that those people were going to be all right before he finally had to close the doors. So there are business people out there who have great ethics like that that are very concerned about the people that work with them, the people that work for them. You know, there's longtime employees, but this guy, do you talk I putting your money where your mouth is. Five hundred and forty employees and they're all getting six figure bonuses. That is I have never written it done part of anything like that. Good deeds that a company has done for you, or you've heard about five and three seven four nine, seven thousand. Let's go to gym. That might be my favorite story.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, let's go to Jim in Westchester who wants to win.
Speaker 7: Hey Jim, Hey, I was pretty fortunate.
Speaker 12: I worked. I worked for fifty years, and twenty of it my first twenty I was in the military, and I ended up getting a college education. Yes, Sir as well as serving my country. And I came out with a pension and my medical taken care of by Trivecare. Then I went to work for a K Steel which just formed the company from Armcow and I worked thirty years for them. Yeah, and it was it was. It was a great environment to work under. I met some wonderful people. But it was all based on you know, companies have to be you know, able the leader ship fast and form profit margins and and if you want to keep people working and keep them employed. And a lot of that is is based on you know, what the market value is for steel and and and such like that.
Speaker 9: At that point, and uh the.
Speaker 12: Management of the company did a good job. They ended up buying all of Armcow up and put it under the same A K flag. And there was there was some ups and downs. We had some outages and and things like that, and a couple of laborers pubes, but at the end of the day, a lot of people ended up retired and and and getting.
Speaker 2: The bench in That's nice.
Speaker 9: That was. That was a good thing.
Speaker 1: Hey, good stuff, Jim, thanks for weighing in, Thanks for Wayne, and let's go to uh Brett and Mason who wants to weigh in on good company deeds?
Speaker 11: Hey Brett, any guys, Hey, yeah, I know a lot of stuff we're talking about right now has to do with monetary you know, monetary competence. But I had a boss. I worked for a devents contractor up in the Dayton area, and I had a boss in my last job that I don't even know how to explain it. The appreciation that she would show you was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 11: I would come into my office, into my desk and there would be hand written calligraphy on envelopes and you open it and there's this wonderful card and it's all hand written and little you know, designs and things very very you know, someone took their time, took their time about what they thought about writing, took their time in making it and stuff. And you know, sometimes that's better than a bonus. I know that sounds kind of crazy, right, I know, that money, But yeah, man, and let me tell you something that that that kept you going. I mean, and she didn't do it just once. I mean, you know, we'd have a project, a lot of work, a lot of challenges, and then you know, something like that would show up. You know, they maybe a little piece of candy or or whatever it was. Or no, actually she made homemade stuff. What am I talking about? She didn't homemay cookies and different things like that. And I don't know, man, that that really that's the only boss I ever had that did that. And if she would have said would you if somebody would have said you went five hundred dollars or you want what she just did, I'd say, I'll take what she just did, you know what I mean, because it's just the value in it, in the morale and everything. It's just amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that that that little bit just going the extra mile or letting someone know that how much they're appreciated and what they do on a regular basis, how much is it's appreciated. I mean, you get a lot of mileage out of that. And I think that's just a great way to treat people. I know if I was in that situation, that's something because it as long as I've been around, I know the times that it's happened in my career, in my life where you get that little bit of recognition or so someone says, you know what you're really doing, You're you're doing something right, yep, And I mean it just it puts a lot of wind in your sales and I think across the board, it just makes for better relations between the employer and the employee.
Speaker 1: And Brett from Mason, thanks for that call.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up, Brett, Uh, and you said it very nicely there, Dan, Like I know some people it's hard for them to grasp like cool, I didn't well, it's it's you know, you didn't give me more money, or you didn't give me that like those those things like what Brett was talking about are a huge, huge deal. And what I've noticed as I've gone through my career in newsrooms, what I've noticed is a lot of a lot of the the younger uh caught my a lot of my younger colleagues, And this has been in recent years that I've noticed, like those kinds of things seems to mean more to them, uh than what even from my generation I'm gen X, but from my generation that I came up with through my career here, some of the younger, my younger colleagues now like those little those types of things that Brett's talking about. Yeah, and it's not like hey, here's an extra couple thousand dollars. It's more of hey, you're appreciated. It can it can even be hey, you know the boss, stop by your desk, Hey, I really I really liked what you did there, or you know, like you said a handwritten note, or here's some homemade cookies, something like that. I think that stuff. I agree with Brett that stuff goes along.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if if you're someone that works from home, that if you don't go into the office all the time, that you you sort of miss out on that you know, that whole that whole interaction that that you may or may not have, and so you really if you if you can't connect with that in any certain way, then that's just the whole aspect I think of your work life, yep, that you're missing out of. And it can be you know, it can be really important good.
Speaker 1: Company deeds, something nice that you've seen, you know, your company do for you or for a family member or friend, or you know a neighbor that said, hey, let's listen to this, but love to hear from you. Five one three seven four ninety seven thousand. He entered the Big One.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just going to say that I was looking at and this story again was in the New York Post. But this guy who sold the company in Louisiana, he he had some other buyers who were interested in buying his company, and so he wanted this to be a provision of the deal because a lot of times they say, look, I want to give these bonus. So let's say, yeah, we'll do it. You know, we will do it on a handshake whatever, and it will never happen. And there are other companies that backed out of this deal because of this. So think about the company that he sold to agreed to this, and what does that say about the company that he sold to. Yeah, I think that says a lot about them too, no doubt in a good way.
Speaker 1: And how beautiful is it that that guy was in a position that he could do that. Yeah, he wouldn't sell it, Yeah, No, he worked so hard to build that company and to take care of those employees.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. Let's go to Uh. We had some phone is lit up here, but we've got time. We got to get the traffic on weather. Actually, I think we do to get the traffic and we'll back to the phone calls. We got more calls. We're gonna take your calls on this. We got a couple other things we want to throw out too. I got one for you, Dan. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Coming up after the break. But let's get to traffic and weather. What's up? Welcome back to the news Radio seven hundred w L w Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie Rocky are out today. Jason Williams, Dan Carroll, get ready for the big weekend. He's Dan Carroll Big Weekend. Yeah that y'all already knew that. I don't know what goes on the weekend before between Christmas.
Speaker 2: And New Year's Absolutely nothing. Nothing.
Speaker 1: You try to do A whole bunch of nothing, A whole.
Speaker 2: Bunch of nothing.
Speaker 1: Right now, this is the deadist period of the year, that week between Christmas and New Year's. I know it is if you're in the news business. Yes, that's I know it is. Although wasn't there one year you and I I say, this is the fourth year we've done on this. You think it's been longer where we've done this week? Uh, filling in on Eddie and Rocky. There was one year though, where you and I had a ton of news that we uh we got to. Yeah, I mean, you know, every once in a while it happened.
Speaker 2: But then, you know, especially in the TV business, you go in there and and uh and you know you talk to you know, and again, the newsrooms at this time of year pretty much had a lot of people are taking off. Yeah, a lot of skeleton crews. So you've got you've got a producer maybe an assistant producer or an associate producer they're called in the business, uh, and and a few reporters and you're sitting around talking to each other. You know, the news director's taking off, executive producer nowhere to be found, and you're sitting there and you're like, what are we doing today? We're praying to the news gods, that's what we're as. We're praying for, you know, for something to happen, because otherwise you got to sitting around and kick around and if they come up and try to find some ideas something like that, hope, hope something drops in your lap. So, yeah, this time of year is tough because I mean, the city council is not in you know, government is pretty much taken that Trump. That's the thing about it. When it comes to you know national news.
Speaker 1: Usually Trump never takes the day off, right, This is usually a time and there's no government politics stuff going except for Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean he he you know, he bombed a bunch of terrorists last night, So I mean it, there's you know, there, there's that with with that guy. That guy is a whirling dervish of news time. I haven't heard that. I heard that. They just keep coming from the Trump so they just keep on on a local sense. You know this, it's a tough time of year. So I've been there, I've done that, and I'm glad I'm here with you.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to be here with you as well. Dan, you had a great story. He had a great story. Good good deeds.
Speaker 2: Companies do that probably that probably is one of my favorite stories. And here's something I want to do. I got two things I want to do next week. Yeah, so because you and I are going to be here Freddie and Rocky next week. Yes, one is uh would the games the two of the three football games were on Netflix last night and so correct during the I don't know if they did it during the first game, but I know during the second game they they rolled a trailer for a new movie about John Madden and Nicholas Cage is going to be John Madden. And then you got who's the other guy is going to be Alder Christ Christen Bale. I mean it Batman, big time act. I mean, you can't name all the movies Nicholas Cage has been there, Kristen Bale have been a lot of movies too.
Speaker 1: It's funny to see it. I'm gonna be interesting to see Nicholas Cage as John Madden because you don't think of Nicholas Cage right as being I don't think like John Goodman has been as being like John Madden. You know that's that's not bad. But I think Nicholas Cage, I really think he's a good actor. Oh yeah, no doubt so.
Speaker 2: I'm looking. I'm looking. But I think that's a lot to bite off for a subject matter because you think about Madden, I mean, a guy who was bigger than life, a guy who is so unique. I mean there's really there's no one else who even comes close to being like Madden was, either as a coach and especially in the broadcast booth, and just a great legacy in both of those places, and the kind of guy wasn't And when we know so much about Madden, especially you know the people in my generation and probably you're j I mean you probably saw a lot of Mad on TV the way he was. Yeah, but how do you know? Number one, how do you capture that? And then number two, how do you get that to project through? I guess what will be TV screens because it's going to be it's a Netflix picture, so it'll be on your on your TV. I think that's the real challenge and it's going to be interesting to see who how Nicholas Cage pulls it off. But Meryl Hodge, who was on the All Madden team when John Madden died, I start to remember this. The first person I contacted was Meryl Hodge and I said, Hey, if John Madden died, can you come on? And you know I was on the I think I was in for Cunningham that day. I said, can you come on and talk about John? Manning says, oh, I love John matt And it turned out Merril Hodge was on the All Madden team and he came on and told just a couple of great stories about John. Yeah. So so I've reached out to Merrill Hodge. Hopefully we'll have him as a guest next week because you and I here Monday Wednesday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I miss Marrill Hodge on ESPN. He was great.
Speaker 2: He did great job as an analyst. I mean just super great when it comes to breaking down the Bengals and all that stuff. But such great stories about John madd So I'll be interested to hear get his take on this movie and and uh, you know what, what what he thinks. I just think that's good. It's good. It's not going to be an easy task. I think pulling off Nicholas Cage John Madden, I mean he's got I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so either.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, how are they going to do And I'm hoping they do it good because I would. I would like to think that they're going to do something that is going to be a great o'mad to thank John Man because he deserves it.
Speaker 1: I mean, the guy I would. I would think it's I don't think it's going.
Speaker 2: To be very positive, right Yeah, speaking of movies, and then the other thing, I want to do one more thing. Yes, we have not done what we think are our top stories of the year. So I want to give you a little homework assignment this weekend.
Speaker 1: I've already got I've already started working on.
Speaker 2: And we always do that. Yeah, there's a local news anchor I want to try to get on one day next week again when Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday will be here. I don't know what day it's going to happen, but I'm just, you know, kind of kind of doing some show prep out loud here. I'm thinking, I want to get a news anchor, what a particular news anchor that I want to get on next week? Talk about what were the biggest stories of the year from a local sense in a national sense.
Speaker 1: Do you have a certain news anchor in mind? Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: I wanted to disclose that information at this time to someone I like. I'd have no idea because you know, you're not all that easy to get along with.
Speaker 1: I actually like, I mean, of the hand of the few news anchors I know I like them all there you go, I don't know that many.
Speaker 2: So it's probably something that's probably someone you like, all right, but I don't. I mean, I have not made the overture yet, so I don't want to put the cart in front of the Horse.
Speaker 1: You mentioned movies there. I'm actually going to a movie the night right after the show.
Speaker 2: Are you really going to see the I love what our buddy Steve Oldfield said about that the other day. You know, you got family over a house, guests or standing play, Let's go to a movie that way, you don't talk to him for two and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Well, that's who my my son's both got for from my grandparents got movie gift cards. So we're gonna go see that David movie about David and Goliath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an animated film. Animated? Is it a Disney piece? Is a Disney pick? Disney is?
Speaker 1: I don't really honestly, I've seen like a I've seen a trailer on Oh. I can't wait to hear your review come Monday. So we're like, yeah, let's go do something tonight. So we're gonna go to movie and go. Man, that's we had to shop around to find open seats in the movie theater really here? Oh yeah, our preferred theater was there's no seats available for the seven o'clock showing, so we found another place.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna go see that.
Speaker 1: I cannot tell you the last time I saw a movie in the theater.
Speaker 2: Dan, Well, and before you told me what movie you're gonna see, I was gonna say what movie has peaked your interest? Well, because I really can't think of anything that's in the theater right now that I you know that, I'm a move to go and my younger son go see. Maybe I'll tell them that. Maybe I'll maybe you know what, maybe I'll drop that on the white And here's the thing. If so many people going to the movies right now, maybe I won't be able to go last minute and just walk in and buy a ticket. Maybe not, So maybe we won't go to the movie. I don't know, So yeah, I'll report back. My younger son's been wanting to go. This is he's been leading the charge on this one to go. So we're going. So it's going to be a good, a good family, good family evening now. But it's just it's funny to think because I'm like, you know, growing up, I mean, not never like my dad, Like my mom and dad weren't they weren't big movie people. So like we never really went to the movie, but we would go with like our mom or our aunt would take me and my brothers and cousins here and there. But like now, like when you think about things to do as a family, or even not as a family, like I never think of going to the movie theater, and that was always something on the list growing up. Yeah, well, I uh, I grew up in Marymont that we moved to Anderson Township when I was here to marry my theater ten years old. Yeah, we and we used to. We used to go to Marymont Theater all the time, pack in a bunch of neighborhood kids in the car and rent rumble on down there to the theater. I used to live. I think, you know, they did matt and As for you know, fifty cents or a buck or something like that. So the parents were like, unbeknownst to me at the time, I thought they were doing something cool. No, they were getting rid of us, for I got a great you know, there's like a double oh what you'd see two movies from the price of one. I'm like, yeah, So I used to live and god knows what they were walking distance of the Marymont Theater. I lived in its actually Columbia Township, but right across the road from so I could walk from my house on Cambridge Avenue over to uh the Merrymont Theater, right, and like sometimes you just we just walk over there and we get a hankering for some movie popcorn, So we just walk over there to get popcorn.
Speaker 1: One night, my wife, when she was pregnant with our first son, she was like, craving popcorn. I went and got the absolute big and I took a picture of it because I'm like, how am I going to get this home without spilling it. I put it in the passenger seat of my of my uh I had a Chevy Tahoe at the time, and I put it the seat belt around there, and I took a picture of it. I was like, is this okay? They did the job, like kept the big old thing of popcorn intact. Imagine the cop walking up to that car. All right, all right, let's see what's going on there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you had to say, now you remember there was a back when It's My Fox nineteen days that there was one of the the the young ladies that was she was. She was a floor director and then she eventually became a director. She had a part time job at a movie theater. So the movie the movie theater, they came out with this whole thing like where they stopped using the canola oil or whatever it was that really made it taste, gave it that real, that real, you know, theatre popcorn kind of thing. So that it was the last day the theater where she worked, it was the last day they were going to use it. She comes in the next day with two of the biggest clear plastic bags I've ever seen with popcorn, and she said, she threw them out there and said, here you go, this is the last time you'll ever be able to have popcorn like this. Wow, And we all dug in, man, it was it was. It was bliss, absolute bliss launched on that popcorn.
Speaker 1: Dan, I Always love you and I teaming up here Eddie and Rocky show. It's been a fun week and we get to do it again at least three days next Yeah. Anyway, let's get to uh, we gotta get some traffic. What's up out there.