Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're got running back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are live at Peco Park in San Diego after the Padres beat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of seven to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. You'll hear from Miguel Rojas later in the show. Obviously playing with heavy heart tonight, as many of the Major leaguers that are from Venezuela are, and obviously the earthquakes there that has devastated a lot of that country was on the mind of many people and just a reminder to everybody in Venezuela and here in the United States that, yeah, you may not have experienced that earthquake, but we've had our share of natural disasters. And I think the Dodgers and Padres, and especially the Padres who gave a moment of silence to Venezuela, they did the right thing, wearing VZ on their caps, both teams, the Padres having that moment of silence, I thought Dave Roberts said it perfectly. There's nothing that they can do right now, but it's just a message to those in Venezuela that, hey, even though we're in this baseball bubble and to a certain extent, we we acknowledge you and we know you're going through a rough time. So you'll hear from Miguel Rojas a little bit later in the show. Also, Wednesday was getaway day with all the drama with Otani and Rushing not being on the same page. I was not on the air because I was traveling with the team to San Diego after the game. We can get into that if you want. I have a little bit more thoughts on what took place there, but let's start with tonight's game. And if you go back to the eighth inning. We could work backwards just to start if you go back to the eighth inning. I said this during the Clubhouse show. To me, the Dodgers losing is you know, you don't want to lose any game, but you're not gonna win all of them. But you wanted to get Mason Miller in this game. The more you get them into a game, maybe, like the last time the Dodgers were in San Diego, they get the pitch count up. Because the Dodgers are probably the only team in baseball this year that has made Mason Miller look human. Remember I know it was over a month ago, but don't you remember when Mason Miller came in in the ninth inning of games against the Dodgers. They made him work, and they gave him a scare and they beat him. So not keeping that game at three to one in the eighth inning was frustrating, and to a certain extent, you know, another loss within the loss of the game because you wanted Miller in that game. And once the Padres scored four in the eighth off a Jonathan Hernandez, Miller sat down and he's fresh for the next two games. So to me, that was the chess match within the game tonight that the Dodgers lost. Now, as far as the offense goes, I thought the sixth inning was their best chance to score. And yeah, you may look at Tucker and Tucker did not have a good game again tonight. But to me, the key at bat was in the sixth inning with one out and it was Max Munsey who swung at the first pitch and popped up with the bases loaded. To me, that was the golden opportunity and very out of character for Max Munsey to swing at the first pitch from the left hander, and that was they kind of had him on the ropes right there. Matt Suey and Munsey really bailed him out. And then Tucker obviously got down two and it feels like he has two strikes on him every single at bat. Tucker was back in the game after missing the last two in Minnesota with back spasms, and he did not have a hit tonight. Kyle Tucker was zero for three with the strikeout. He's now hitting two thirty two. His ops is down to seven hundred. But to me, the at bat of the game was in that sixth inning when Max Months he swung at the first pitch and popped it up with the bases loaded. To me that that was the key at bat and Andy pajs in that inning as well in the sixth inning, what was he doing going back to first base to try to tag up on that slicing fly ball that was certainly going away in a big way from Samad Taylor in left field, from Freddie Freeman. There's no reason to go all the way back to first base to tag up. You got to go at the very least halfway to second base, if not just a few steps away from second base. Because of what took place, he did not get a good read on that ball. Don't know what he was doing, and it would have been he would have scored. He would have scored if he was where he needed to be on the bases. And he also blew a ca in center field tonight by Manny Machado. He should have caught that ball, and he didn't have field awareness, he didn't know where he was and that was a double. So not a great game for Andy pie Has tonight as well. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number Tonight's game brought to you by Modello MODELO the mark of a fighter. All right, let's get to Roki Sasaki. If you have listened to this show, you have heard me temper the excitement from other people about Roki Sasaki. He dominated the Angels twice. I give him a lot of credit for that, but I'll just say this, he still needs to prove it to me. You can't do it for five starts. And tonight was another example of how this guy is still in the developmental stage of his career. And the Dodgers are so fortunate to have an eight game lead, so fortunate to be able to carry a pitcher like that on their major league roster where they can make up for some of his shortcomings like tonight. But again, the first four innings of this game, he was throwing so many pitches and I was watching those guys behind him, they were just standing there. That's not conducive for winning a baseball game. So I know, people like Dylan Hernandez have written after one start against the Angels that, hey, you never know, you could see a no hitter, you could see a perfect game. Now, and here's something from after Sasaki's last start that Dylan Hernandez wrote. Now, this is in print in the California Post A Little over Excited by Dylan Hernandez. Here it is the beginning of his column Imagine the scene October playoffs. Roki Sasaki on the mound, not as a reliever, as a starter. I could go on and on. If Roki Sasaki is starting a game for the Dodgers in the postseason, something went terribly wrong. He's going to be in the bullpen. Blake Snaill's coming back, Dave Roberts said today he will not come back before the All Star breaks, so likely on that East Coast road trip, you're gonna have Blake snail back. You got Yamamoto, Ya gott Otani, and I fully expect the Dodgers to make a trade for another starter, whether it's Trek Schouol Bowl or somebody else. They will make a trade and solidify their postseason rotation. If Roki Sasaki is making a start in the postseason, something went terribly wrong. So I'm not shooting him down. I'm just saying this is in year two of a six year development type of thing. You would hope by year three next year, that you're not having these growing pains as much as you've had the first two years of his major league career. The good news is he got the velocity back. The bad news is he still doesn't know where the ball's going sometimes, and tonight he didn't know where the ball was going a lot of times. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fall to the Padres tonight seven to one. We will hear from Walker Bueller in a moment, who beat his former team. Second time he has faced the Dodgers. Last year in Boston didn't go so well for him. Tonight he went five and a third, allowed just a solo home run to Mookie Betts. Let's go out to Aliso Viejo. Dave, you're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off from Peco Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you very much for taking my call. I don't know what you're gonna I know, I think I know what you're gonna say. The Dodgers a way ahead the twenty two games of a five hundred twenty one Now. She and should not be a starting pitcher anymore, should be in the minor leagues with Ryan should replace him. Sazaki should be in the bullpen, pitching long release, even when the Dodgers are way ahead or way behind. Give him some linings to pitch and keep him sharp and bring up land and Knack at Wyn Dave.
Speaker 2: Dave, you're very uninformed, so let me help inform you. Number one, River Ryan is heard again with a hamstring injury. Number two Landon Knack is on the sixty day il. So two of your options are gone. And that brings to everybody's attention that the Dodgers starting depth is very thin and very fragile. Where would they be without Eric Lauer, who's done phenomenal for the Dodgers, and with River Ryan having hamstring injuries now twice. If somebody goes down in this rotation, I'm not sure who they go to. I think they have to go to a five man rotation.
Speaker 3: I'm not a doctor, but why is Tyler Glasnack with bat chat spasm out just so many months? I mean I back spasms? Correct, It must.
Speaker 2: Be a little bit more serious than backspasm's Dave, That's what I'm gathering. Uh, thank you for the phone call. Let's go out to dominic in Westwood. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing dominic?
Speaker 4: Besides the loss, I am doing well. First, I just want to second my thoughts with the people in Venezuela and Miguel Rojas. I know what happened was just absolutely awful, So I'll just say that from a fan's perspective, and I also want to shout out LAFD as well. I obviously what happened in San Diego today was horrible. Uh, it doesn't feel good, but I just I just want to say this because you know, it's good to say that we're back to back champs and Machado, oh that fan the contract three times, and I just want to say, uh, you know, the Madres they're they're they're having fun today. The fans are you know, they're they're had, they had their chests out, you know. And I just want to say, we're gonna win this series in San DIEGOEP. Keep the energy up. Yet we can't win them all, so I guess we'll just take that we can't win it all Mojo today, Let's take out those Madres in San Diego. And I also just want to say this. I wanted I wanted to ask if you would agree with me on this, but I feel like us Dodger fan, I know, for affect me as a Dodger fan, I've always wanted to do this, but I just haven't gotten the mojo for it.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 4: You know how everyone in the league always says be la every single time we go to their stadium where we go on the road. I would love to fire that back with the beat f D when the Padres are in Blue Heaven. So, uh yeah, that's all I have tonight. But uh, thank you David and go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, Dominic, thank you for the phone call. I'm not feeling BATSD now, I'm not. There's a certain well, number one bat la is legendary because it goes back to Lakers and Celtics in the eighties, and other teams now have adopted that in a lot of different sports. So that's kind of legendary in its own right because of how it started. And somebody even asked me tonight, how did beat la start? Started in the Boston Garden when the Sixers were beating the Celtics in the eighty three Eastern Conference Finals, And this just shows you just how obsessed Boston was with the Lakers back then. They started channing b to LA because they were losing in the fourth quarter and they were going to lose the series, and they started channing B to LA for the Sixers to beat the Lakers, which did happen in eighty three after Moses Malone's famous faux Faux Fox. They swept the Lakers in the finals that year. But that's how the beat La chance started. So beatsd uh, no, not so much. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. San Diego did beat La tonight seven to one. The Dodgers coming into the game tonight, did have baseball's best record, but now the Brewers hold that distinction after Milwaukee became the second team in baseball this season to win fifty games. Yeah, the Brewers are fifty to twenty nine. They're seven and a half games ahead of the Cubs in the n NOW Central. The Dodgers have the most wins in baseball still fifty two and thirty, with an eight game lead over San Diego, a ten and a half game lead over the Diamondbacks. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs to the Padres Clubhouse to hear from Walker Buehler, who is always going to be remembered as a Dodger, but tonight he beat a former team and pitch really well.
Speaker 6: You know what, I think the first one in Boston was was a lot bigger emotional kind of.
Speaker 2: Load for for lack of a better word.
Speaker 6: You know, I think it's a division a team and our division. I'm going to have to fish against them, and you know, it's good to get the first one in this uniform at home, and you know, we'll see what kind of happens on the road. But you know, I haven't thrown it out of your stadium yet, which will be kind of a different thing. But to nice to have kind of a something to fall back on a little bit in terms of having some success. So, you know, happy about tonight and I'm happy for a team.
Speaker 2: How much harder is it? Or is it when you know it I'm so long, when they know you so well.
Speaker 6: You know what I think is kind of interesting about that is I was kind of the young guy over there for a long time and then was hurt kind of in my.
Speaker 2: Last couple of years and not as successful.
Speaker 6: So you know, a lot of the guys over there are not the guys that I kind of came up around all the time, the Justin Turners and Chase Utley's and.
Speaker 2: Guys like that.
Speaker 6: So it is a thing. You know, I spent a lot of time in Los Angeles, But I don't think it's kind of quite the same as as maybe somebody that you know came up with everybody and then played against the same team, So a little bit different and and you know, also a little bit the same as well.
Speaker 2: Thanks before the game.
Speaker 5: Pretty much.
Speaker 6: Of that just well, listen, I have no bad blood against against that organization. They treated me very well for a long time, and you know, I think in some way I did to them as well. And uh, my last pitch there was the last out of a World Series. I don't really know how else I would have gone out any better than that. And so yeah, I want to kick everyone that I want to beat everyone, especially in the division, and especially a team that you know, has has been so successful, you know, against the organization that I'm with now, and and I want to be a part of turning that around. And and you know, I certainly don't want to lose to them. So you know, douc Is duc is not wrong.
Speaker 2: I wanted to keep given the battles you had against this team as a member of the Dodgers, does it feel weird at all to just be on this side of that bright worri or has enough time passed now.
Speaker 6: That it's just well, so I want to know against some as a San Diego Padre, I think that's kind of you know where we're at all.
Speaker 2: Right, there's Walker Buehler. He's got that Buehler swag back. It sounds like, I mean, he's been pitching well in his last six starts. Now his era is at too, so he is finding something and he kind of had to reinvent himself when he came to the Padres, and he's been very open to that. Ruben Niebla is a really good pitching coach, and you know, obviously it is connected with Buehler to get him to buy in to, you know, not necessarily change, but you know, make some adjustments at this stage of his career. And tonight his cutter was working really well against the Dodger lefties. And I don't know, it's, uh, I'm never going to get used to seeing Walker Buehler in a Padre uniform. It's it's kind of weird, right, But that's the circumstances. I would have loved to have seen Walker Buehler come back to the Dodgers. My understanding is that they offered him close to what the qualifying offer was last year, and he declined it and signed with the Red Sox for basically the same deal. And for whatever reason, the Red Sox signed Bueller for their hopes to get to the postseason and pitch down the stretch, and right when they were getting there, they released him, and he the Phillies picked him up, and he never pitched in the NLDS for whatever reason. So I think both those organizations kind of messed it up a little bit, especially the Red Sox, who are a disaster these days as well. So happy Walker Bueller's back on the West Coast. Not happy he's pitching for the Padres. But you know, you think back to so many great moments that he had with the Dodgers, beginning when he first had his first full year and Game one sixty three and twenty eighteen. You think back to Max Scherzer tapping out and Buehler having to take the ball in the twenty one NLCS in Game six on short rest. You think about, you know, how great he was in the NLCS and twenty twenty against the Braves. I mean I remember him being in a basis loaded jam and striking out the side in order to keep the game alive, keep the series alive.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And of course his iconic moment at Yankee Stadium that will go down in history. You know, everybody only talks about Yamamoto, and what Yama Moto did was extraordinary. But let's not forget about what Walker Buehler did in Game five of the twenty four World Series. I know, when these guys leave the team and other moments happened, like we saw in that epic World Series last year, we tend to forget what contributions guys like Walker Buehler made, and that's that's a big mistake. Don't ever, don't ever forget. You know how many big games he pitched for them, and just a guy that was drafted he was. He was Andrew Friedman's first draft pick. That was the guy that Andrew Friedman drafted and developed, and you know, you just would have hoped for him to stay with the Dodgers. It just didn't work out. But like he said, I mean, the last pitch he ever threw for the Dodgers was closing out Game five of the World Series and celebrating the front end of these back to back championships. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Want to point out a couple of good things that are happening with the Dodgers. Everybody wants to you know, they have fifty two wins, more than any other team. And I know people of drama, and they got drama in the last game between Rushing and Otani. I know everybody likes to talk about how Tucker has struggled the first half of the year, But how about Mookie Betts. Now in his last eleven games, he's starting to find himself and that's a big deal for the Dodgers. His batting average is now up to two thirty one, And you may say two thirty one, Yeah, two thirty one for a guy that was in the in the one fifties, one sixties for the better part of the first couple of months of the year. And if you remember, I said, give this guy a chance, Give this guy a chance to get one hundred and fifty two hundred at bats under his belt before you start judging his season. And here we are now, he's getting over He's over one hundred and fifty at bats. He's sitting three ninety three in his last seven games, in his last fifteen games, hitting three seventeen. So uh, that's a that's a good thing for the Dodgers. Also, Tommy Edmund, this guy's back, his right ankle is feeling great. All he has done is crushed the baseball ever since he came off the IL. He's sitting three sixty with an eight twenty nine ops. So that's a big deal too, that Tommy Edmund's back. And the Dodgers are going to get Taoska Hernandez back when they're in Sacramento on Monday, So that's gonna change the complexion of this lineup as well. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back, more of your phone calls. At eight sixty six nine, eight seven two, five seventy, we'll hear from Miguel Rojas, and I'll give you my thoughts on what took place Wednesday night in Minnesota. Since I was there, I was in the clubhouse. I spoke to Otani, spoke to Rushing, and spoke to a few people around the team about where things are at. And no, the sky's not falling. No, the Dodgers are not cracking. They're as strong as ever. Dodgers beat the Twins on Wednesday night. They come to San Diego and drop the first game of this series seven to one to San Diego and Walker Bueller on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi.
Speaker 2: Bets against Bueller. First pitch, crack to left.
Speaker 1: Fail back toward the wall.
Speaker 2: It is gone.
Speaker 7: Mookie Betts with a laser to left, ambushing Bueller on the first pitch of the second inning.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts starting to get hot, starting to get his season on track. Unfortunately for the Dodgers, that was the only run they scored tonight, as the Padres beat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of seven to one. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit A five seventy lasports dot Com. Use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vasse Live Pecho Park taking you to the top of the hour. Now, Like I mentioned on Wednesday night, it was getaway day, Tim Kates doing the show and being in the clubhouse, standing in front of Rushing, standing in front of Otani, hearing what Dave Roberts had to say, and just getting to the ballpark earlier today. Talking to a few people, everybody can agree the situation could have been handled better by both guys Rushing and Otani, but especially Dalton Rushing. And the consensus is like, hey, if Otani wants to challenge a pitch, let him challenge a pitch. If Otani wants to throw a fastball, throw a fastball. But here's the thing. Otani went to starting to call his own game with the PitchCom in the third inning after him and Rushing couldn't get on the same page. That probably should have been done to start the game because if you don't have have conviction behind your pitches, because you're not all in with your catcher, then you probably and since Otani has such a clear, direct thought process on what pitch he wants to throw and the sequence he wants to throw them, then call your own pitches from the beginning. If it's not Will Smith and it's Dalton Rushing or CHUCKI Robinson, call your own pitches. And I feel like that's something that's going to happen moving forward. And just the way, you know, things were handled in public view where everybody could see what was happening in the dugout, the disagreement, heated disagreement on the mound. Take that into the tunnel, don't do it in the dugout, don't do it on the field for everybody to see. And my understanding talking to a few players today, the bus ride was fine, on the way to the airport, the plane ride was fine. Everybody was fine. They knew how to make light of the situation. But the reality what he is is O'tani has thrown a lot of his games to Will Smith, So that kind of tells you, you know, Dave Roberts has aligned the schedule to give Smith days off, so he's ready to go when Otani pitches, well, Smith is still not doing any baseball activities. So Dalton Rushing is the Dodgers starting catcher, and Dave said that Rushing's probably going to catch Otani's game on Wednesday, and both those guys have put it behind them. But you got to have a better game plan. And the better game plan is, if Otani wants to challenge your pitch, don't say don't do it, just let him do it. And also Otani should call his own pitches from the very first pitch he throws. Problem solved. So I it was the talk of not only local and local Dodger fans, it was national fodder for everybody, and rightfully so, I mean, the Dodgers are the team, they're the marquee team, and if there's any sort of drama, people are going to latch onto it. And that was good drama. That was great TV, but not so great for the way it was handled. And that's the consensus. And look, Rushing is a great guy. I maintain Rushing is a great guy. His heart is in the right place. He just needs to control himself better when the bell rings and he's between the lines. Because as Freddie Freeman said, you know when he went viral in Denver, he kind of blacks out. He can't allow that to happen. He's got to stay in the moment. He's got to be present and he can't just go into another headspace that is not conducive for anybody. So I love Rushing. I will stand by him, and he just needs to be more. He can't allow himself to go in that realm of being blacked out when he's playing, right, you got to be aware of what you're doing. You can't be emotional. And certainly when you got a guy like Otani who's the best player on the planet, you've got to, you know, follow his lead. You got to follow his lead. I think everybody agrees on that. And if you don't believe Otani's going down the right path, well, I mean he's He's done it pretty well for a long time. Now. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Kenny and Tarzana. You're on Dodger Talk. How's the eight one eight tonight, Kenny.
Speaker 5: Nice warm evening, very very good. So David, first of all, very impressive your Laker history with the seventy six years and Mo Cheeks and Andrew Tony and doctor j. You got it right. So I'm talking about Kyle Tucker primarily. Maybe I misunderstood you. You had some recordings I think with Dan Patrick cow and Coal going on where you talked about Tucker's walks versus strikeouts, and it seemed to me that you were surprised that he had more strikeouts this year than waks. And maybe again I've misinterpreted what you said. But for his career, I mean, he's four hundred and three versus five sixty three, so that wouldn't be a surprise to me. So maybe it is.
Speaker 2: I mean that you're taking cumulative numbers there, but look at every individual season, He's never struck out more than ninety five times. In a year. He's already struck out sixty six times. And his strikeout to walk ratio last year in the last two years is basically one to one. That's what you're looking at. Last year eighty eight strikeouts, eighty seven walks. The year before fifty four strikeouts, fifty six walks. This year sixty six strikeouts and only forty walks. That's not Kyle Tucker are.
Speaker 5: Like, well, how did he do in the second half last year? You know, all the people.
Speaker 2: He had a bad risk. He had a bad risk. He wasn't very good last year, he was hurt.
Speaker 5: Well, what's what's happened?
Speaker 2: Well, what's your point? What I mean? Like, I think we've established the fact that Kyle Tucker has not performed to what he would expect or what the Dodgers would expect. What's your point to all this?
Speaker 5: Right? Well, I agree. I just wanted to clarify in terms of.
Speaker 2: You didn't You didn't clarify anything. I I clarified what I was trying to say. And you could take total strikeouts and total walks, but my point is he's a one to one strikeout to walk guy the last three years, basically last four or five years of his career, and he's going to be surpassing uh strikeouts in a single season for his career. Kenny, that was my point.
Speaker 5: Okay, I appreciate it. Yeah, I don't know why we would pay him the second highest average annual contract for a guy who's finished one time in the top ten of MVP. I don't get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, all right, that brings me to this topic, right, Kenny. I wanted to get to this and thank you for the phone call. I think you all should have realistic expectations for Kyle Tucker. He's not a forty five home run guy. He's just not. He's not a three point thirty hitter either. His career batting average is two sixty nine. He's only hit thirty home runs in a season twice. But the Dodgers are the Dodgers, and they could go out and get the best available free agent. Now, the Mets were the team that started to bring this annual average salary to Tucker at fifty five million dollars. Now we can argue whether or not, you know, he's sixty million dollars for Kyle Tucker. Obviously that's not you know, that's not something you would expect. But he got it right. And it's not hampering the Dodgers from operating or making a trade at the deadline to bring on more payroll. That's neither here or there. But the sixty million dollar price tag brings him a lot of attention, and he's not comfortable with a lot of attention. But that's the reality of it when you sign that type of deal. But here's my point, the expectation should be realistic. He's a two seventy five, two seventy to two eighty hitter that'll hit you twenty five to thirty home runs and drive in somewhere between eighty and one hundred runs. That's who Kyle Tucker is. Whether or not you want to accept that or not. Just because he signed a sixty million dollar one year, two year contract is not going to change that. His best year in the big leagues was twenty two, when he hit thirty home runs and drove in one hundred and seven runs, twenty three twenty nine home runs, one hundred and twelve RBIs, and hit two eighty four But what we're seeing now two thirty two betting average with sixty six strikeouts. Uh, that's not him. And he like I said before, I don't see Kyle Tucker resetting a season until the second half of the year. I just don't see it happening. It's it's not possible when you're playing every day and you're underwater, right You're you're underwater. It's you might have a game or two here or there. But I just don't see him taking off and giving himself an opportunity to be able to have a better half then until after the All Star break that's when I feel like, if it's going to happen this year, it's gonna happen, then let's go out to Malibu. Bob, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob day?
Speaker 7: Thanks for getting me oh man, I always appreciate you and call and staying late and taking all our calls out there. Yeah, couldn't agree more with you. You've made the point about Tucker as well. And let's not neglect the fact that our defense in the outfield with him and right, has gotten better this season. So everyone can give the guy some breathing room. Know that he's doing a great job out there. He's gonna come alive in the second half. You know, I believe in that guy completely. But Dave, I did want to bring up with you the double plays. We've hit into an exorbitant amount of double plays. It feels like, am I wrong about that? Thanks man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, over seventy on the season. Jose Mota pointed that out and tonight four double plays, and yeah, it's there was a stretch of time when the offense wasn't going very good where they seemingly were hitting into three or four double plays every night. But the Dodgers don't put a lot of guys in motion. That's how you stay out of it, right right, all right, Bob, Well, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate Yeah, tonight four double plays And like I said to me, the key at bat of the game was in the sixth inning, Max Munsey's swinging at the first pitch with the bases loaded and won out. That's just not Mounsie like and that was to me, the best chance the Dodgers had to get back in the game. Eight six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Padres tonight, seven to one. Walker Buehler beats Roki Sasaki. Buehler is five and three. Sasaki's record now is three and five. Miguel Ross did not play in the game tonight, but obviously a heavy heart as everybody in baseball is thinking of those in Venezuela who were affected, lost relatives, lost lives out there because of the horrific earthquakes that devastated that country, and Miguel Rojas World Series Hero is no different. And Miguel Rojas's family is actually in Venezuela and was an Venezuela when those earthquakes hit. I'm talking about his wife and kids. They went back there for visa passport renewals, so they were there when the earthquake hit, and obviously he still has family out there and friends, and certainly it was a tough day for him to be at the ballpark, especially after knowing that, you know, his family was in harm's way. So thankfully his wife and kids are safe. And we had a chance to catch up with Rojas before tonight's game, just to take inventory of what's going on in his head and how his family is doing out there.
Speaker 8: Because everything is okay with my family, that doesn't mean everything is okay with the country. We're going through really tough moments right now, and I just wish and hope for everybody to kind of like pray for us, because he's devastated seeing how many families are losing everything. And I'm not talking about.
Speaker 2: In general, it's just life.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's really tough.
Speaker 8: Because I got a pretty close connection to the city where a lot of the things are happening right now, which is like wider. I play in that city for so many years, and it's really tough to see teammates of mine and players who I who I play with at some point in my career to lose family members and to lose kids, and it's really devastating. It's been really hard for me to go to sleep. And actually my family is in Minnesota right now. My kids and my wife are in Venezuela and they have to go through that a couple a couple of days ago when it happened, and I just I just feel terrible right now. I mean, they're they're in a place where they have power, they have connection, they have everything that we need to talk and stay in contact every single day. But it's still still really feel like I'm so far away from them.
Speaker 2: Maybe how far from the europe The quick struggle is your family right now.
Speaker 8: So literally two blocks away from where my family was, two buildings collapse the whole building. So in the building where my family was, were shaking really pretty bad and they have to kind of go away from that place to stay somewhere else. The same night, they were lucky enough to get down on time before everything else happened, and the building is staying kind of like in some kind of good shape for them to go down on the stairs and get out of there. But I'm lucky, to be honest to you guys, I'm really lucky to have my family still alive and still with me. So I'm I'm not taking this for granted and kind of like, this is a really tough moment for us right now. So, my sister was a little farted away, like thirty five minutes away in lost takes where I'm from, but my wife and kids were in Caracas. Actually, yeah, obviously the worst part happens to Lawaida, where the airport is and where the water is, like really close to the ghost that's where the biggest impact was.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Miguel Rojas, and that's his story, and I don't think we ever imagined that his wife and kids would be in Venezuela, but they are, and thankfully they are safe, and obviously Rojas knows how blessed he is that his wife and kids are safe, and obviously still thinking about all those that did lose loved ones. And it's just horrific. The scenes if you've seen them of Venezuela right now, after those twin earthquakes over seven point zero magnitude hit Venezuela. It's it's so sad to see what has happened there, and I think we all wish we could do something right to snap our fingers to help those and you know, obviously do something to to help those that have lost so many loved ones and to help restore that country in those cities that were affected by it, in that country. And it's just too bad these things happen. Obviously, earthquakes. Being from LA, we know about it. I lived through the ninety four earthquake and did a lot of damage, but in a concentrated area that obviously doesn't have the resources that we do in the United States and Los Angeles, it's even more devastating. So our hearts, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those in Venezuela that are being affected by these earthquakes. That'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight tomorrow, Yamamoto is on the mound for the Dodgers here at Petco Park, going up against Randy Vasquez. Our coverage begins at four thirty tomorrow with first pitch at five point forty, with Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson on the call. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at pet Goo Park. Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can stream all the Dodger games as well. And in case you missed our pregame conversation with Kyle Tucker, we got into some hitting talk. You can find that on the iHeartRadio app as well. Once again, the final score tonight from San Diego. Walker Bueller and the Padres beat the Dodgers tonight seven to one. Have a great rest of your night, see you
Speaker 3: Away.