Speaker 1: Billy Cunningham, the Great America, and welcome this Thursday afternoon of the tri State.
Speaker 2: The government has opened.
Speaker 1: The Democrats have suddenly said, Okay, let's have TSA workers not sleep in their cars. Let's make sure the food stamps get out to people. We're gonna pay the We're gonna pay TSA. We're gonna pay the air traffic controllers at the expense of the insurance companies getting all the money under Obamacare. But that's a different issue. As you may know, there's many, many problems in River City. One of them is on short Vine. Another one is babies and boxes. And Brian Hamrick's on top of both stories. And Brian Hamrick, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Brian, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Thanks again, mister Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about short Vine this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Because I saw one of the captains and CPD gave me a shot spotter detail about in the last month, what are the shots being fired in Cincinnati? As if a white piece of paper was in front of me, and I took a bunch of black pepper and shook it all over the paper. There's thousands of thousands of shots being fired, and that doesn't count the other to bacherous misbehavior. Short Vine right against UC campus. And you've done stories on moms and dads not feeling comfortable their kids going to the University of Cincinnati because of the robberies because the car break ins, guns are everywhere. But now it's metastasized a little bit off campus to short Vine. So, first of all, for those listening in Iowa, describe short Vine. Then we'll talk about the failure of parents to keep their kids off Short Vine. At two o'clock in the morning. Please give the American people a full report.
Speaker 3: Well, short Vine is what one block over from UC main campus if you go down Jefferson right where you go into the all the sports sporting events there, you know, you go into with basketball, the football, baseball, all of that just across from there. It's it's it's really it's not officially a part of the u SEE campus, but it is a part of the u SEE community. Uh, And so all the students come over this way a lot of times, especially if there's a sporting event, you have to park over here where you want to or not and walk through the area. And uh, you know, we have talked to. You talk to any of the students, anybody, they know that this area is trouble. And you talk to the business owners down here, they'll tell you the same thing. You know, and some are saying it's as bad as they've ever seen it. Now, short minds had its issues over the years. But you know, just a few weeks ago, they're videos circulated.
Speaker 2: We had it.
Speaker 3: You can see it on our website. Somebody's firing off a gun. People are running, there's a crowd of people. Somebody just opens fire. Everybody's running. I did the story not long ago. Down in front of a liquor store, a fifteen year old goes to rob another guy, a guy we had incidentally interviewed a couple of weeks before, just as a random person who observed another crime somewhere. He's standing outside this liquor store, all caught on camera. The kid goes to rob him. He pulls the gun on the victim. What he doesn't realize this victim he has his own gun. So they're in a big shootout, people everywhere. You can see him scattered there, you know. So the victim gets shot to death. The fifteen year old shot as well, but he survived, and so that case is still in the courtroom. And there have been all kinds of other there's other ones that don't even go reported. Kids that have been attacked. We just talked to the mother of UC student who's been attacked two times walking out here. So city council today is going to try and do something. Uh. They're going to enact as curfew. Uh. You know, if you talk to business owners down here, they think what's happening is they did that crack down down by Fountain Square and all that. Well, these these folks that create problems, they go somewhere, they're going to be somewhere, and a lot of people think they're just up here. So we've got sort of a whack a mole problem going on. And so we're gonna whack the mole up here and see if and see if that works. But you know, who knows if it's going to have any effect at all. But it looks like uh here in just a couple of hours the uh if city council is going to vote to try and do something up here, and right now their answer is a curfew, uh for the middle of the.
Speaker 1: Eyes kind of queue the red box, get rid of the food trucks. Let's have a curfew. I watched Chief Isaac Are retired as the chief of police from CPD. Now's the chief of police and U see, and he said that it's ridiculous when you we have ten to eleven twelve year olds, thirteen year olds running around committing mayhem at two o'clock in the morning, and when the weather is good, it's worse than the weather is bad. You had a couple of us, these students two weeks ago, thought it might be a good idea to get a pizza.
Speaker 2: I think for meos.
Speaker 1: They're walking out with a large pepperoni pizza and a gang of six or seven kids got around him and they didn't want to give them the pizza, and so the gang of six kids beat the crap at him, kicked him in the head, broken bones everywhere, and the robbers got the pizza, running down short Vine trying to eat a slice of pizza.
Speaker 2: And so it's absurd.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous, And what we need is a functional juvenile court system that when you catch these kids, there's consequences. There's that thirteen year old who murdered someone who's going to be held in Jubie Court till twenty one. Then he's going to be released. And there's not a statute under fourteen to deal with murder. We don't have laws that even deal with ten, eleven, twelve year olds committing arm robberies.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: And I want to know where is my where is dad? Where's the social constraints on bad human behavior? And uh with the weather nice tonight and tomorrow is gonna be a problem.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it has uh in a lot of these kids.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This has become part of the uh of the culture. It's celebrated in song and dance and music and the tenements of this and this isn't This doesn't just come from me. This comes from the folks who are down here in these neighborhoods. You know they know it as well that you know it's uh. You'll hear it in their music, for example, you'll hear these uh these songs and the and the lyrics are all killed. The cops, beat the women, UH, take the money, smoke the dope, and and that you're that that those are the tenements the ability, and then they aspire to be these thugs that they see standing on the corner, right, And it's because I mean, the sons have done great marketing. I gotta give him that. You know, the city ought to see tire those guys and say, hey, what are you doing to attract youth? Because at the end of the rainbow there is no there is nothing. There's nothing for him. There's jail or they're getting shot to death, you know, or getting out of it somehow. That that's what's really there. But but nobody's dispelled the myth that they're gonna be a big wheel and there's some sort of al Capone figure. Uh, you know, that's you know, there's some grandiose lifestyle. You know, at best, a guy gets about a week and a car he paid for him cash with speakers blasting their theme music, riding through the sounds of Cincinnati. That's the guy. Like, he gets about a week of that, maybe a month, Yeah, and then he's shot to death or thrown in jail or something happened to him. But but you know, there's nobody living the high life. You know, if they are, I don't see them. What I see are the dead people. Those are the ones who you see.
Speaker 2: Like boat guards, etc.
Speaker 1: Is always a market, it is kind of an ovank guard, kind of a music theater venue. But the actual business owners don't want to come on camera and talk, do they.
Speaker 3: No. We've talked to a number of folks up here. I just I'm up one short vine as we speak and just talking to people and they're like, yeah, nah, you know what. I don't think I better, but but I think it's a good idea that they do something. But people are afraid. They're afraid. They don't want any kind of repercussions because if you stand out, you might get a lightning bolt. We're not done trying to catch up with folks. Hopefully we'll get somebody today, one of these business owners. But they'll tell us all, you know, off camera. They're willing to tell us, you know, hey, look something's got to be done. It's crazy. I think Chief Isaac said, look, it don't even count the violent crime, but just the chaos that's going on. That's the way he put it. So you know it's happening, and there's you know, it's just a lot of activity up here, and you know, we're fortunately that it hasn't gotten worse with like I said, when you got somebody unloading guns, Yes, yoh, well, I mean you've got people unloading guns when there are dozens of people standing around. You could have one of these situations where you've got multiple people shot and killed. You know, Like, I was amazed that when these two the guy who got killed pulled the gun and shot back. That when there's people sitting everywhere, how the bullets missed all those other people? I have no idea, because they both basically unloaded their weapons and those bullets were flying everywhere. It's like the OK Corral out there.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not fair to the OK Corral.
Speaker 1: And lastly, on this topic, before we talk about babies and boxes, uh, the superintendent of schoolers came home with slowly a couple of weeks ago. There's about five thousand kids in cps that are homeless, five thousand boys and little girls living in cars, and another five thousand are English second language kids. That and then you have a chronic absentee rate of forty seven percent and seventy one percent of black boys are chronically absent. You put all that together and you got a recipe for total cultural collapse.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I got to get to this. You did a great.
Speaker 1: Story on babies and boxes and I saw this, and I said, I heard the number. One hundred and seventy newly born babies put in boxes in fire departments another example of collapse of our culture.
Speaker 2: Explain that story.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they put these they call them, they're the ones they use around here mostly are called the safe haven baby boxes. And so you have these moms who, you know, they're stuck in a bad spot and they they don't know what to do, and so they've opened this up and then anonymously you can drop the baby in this box and at the fire station the alarm goes off. Don't have these things for years, and you know, kind of forget that they got it, and then all of a sudden, that's what they had in Union Township. Somebody puts a baby in a box. They know nothing about where the baby came from. It was a healthy baby, and now that baby's on the road to a whole different life. That was in a Union Township. They don't give a specific day or time when that was, but it was very recent and last week or two weeks they had the baby drop there. And meanwhile in Hamilton they were putting in a brand new baby box. Just you know, someday somebody's gonna use it, you know. And so these moms who feel they got no other choice, nowhere else to go.
Speaker 1: I know, they could have bored it and killed the baby, and they didn't do that. And so it used to be a felony to do it. Now it's no harm, no foul for the mother.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, no, huh, they're no charges. They don't even you know, want to know who the mom is. They just want the baby to be safe. That's their main goal. And I talked to the woman, she's out of Indiana who started this. There's like somehow I think she said three hundred This was a three hundred and ninety fifth baby box, the one in Hamilton. They got them all through Texas and everywhere. Uh, And they have had seventy babies since they started the program put in the boxes, and one hundred and seventy eight that women, just moms, came to the fire station where they have the baby box. They didn't put it in a box. They just handed it over to the firefighters there though, and said, you know, take care of the baby. And so they put it in with the child services and then you know, they find a home for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the one in Union Township didn't already didn't already place. Or you know, there are people that are waiting for babies, hoping to get you know, a healthy baby, right and you know can't have kids and all that. So, like you said, it's a you know, it's a it's a it's a program that you know is working. Like you said that it should certainly be the alternative because you know what the folks who have these boxes and put them in say, you know, you know, it gives women an opportunity to do something rather than the alternative, which often is not a good choice to make.
Speaker 1: And for those who may be caught in this about a minute remaining, those might be women that are caught in this no harm, no foul, And you don't know who the mother is. And I guess down the road in fifteen or twenty years somebody a mother could pop up and say, where's my child? I don't know, there's no identifiers, correct, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, they they say there's no identification to it. I'm not sure how they do that. If it happened. I don't know that they've been in there well enough to have had anybody come back and say, hey, you know, let's reconsider this. I'm not sure what the procedures are are for that, if they did have that, But but the whole idea is that it's an anonymous it's an anonymous uh uh drop that you drop the baby and nobody is like, no questions asked, ass you know, and and that's the way they set it up to be.
Speaker 1: So now we'll see but or whatever. It's sad, it's sick and it's good. It's one of those things in life. It's sick, but it's sad, but it's good because it is so easy to kill baby in uterot today. In fact, there's organizations like Planned Parentode making millions of dollars through that terrible business. At least mothers have the you know, it's not easy, of course delivering a child. But well, once it's done, to recognize I can't handle this as a positive. We'll see what happens at two o'clock with short vine and that's a game of whack a mole. And if that is shut down, back to the central business district here, there and everywhere. And I won't stop until parents are responsible and juveniles are held accountable. The police need to arrest, the prosecutor needs to prosecute, and the judge needs a sentence, and it has to be consequences. And right now you can kill, murder, rape, rob and there's no consequence because we have a juvenile court system like Harry Bloom, the judge there who give book reports and say don't do it again and apologize and out you go again. It's a revolving door. There's about a few hundred needs to be taken off the streets to save a few hundred thousand, and until that happens, for nowhere, but I'll be watching tonight for the story about short Vine. Brian Hamrick, once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brian, Thanks again, mister Cunningham.
Speaker 1: All right, back to work. There's the best street reporter in town covering Shortvine, babies and boxes, sexual assaults in college os, Episcopalian churches and more. Let's continue news coming up at Home of the Reds, the Bengals and more. Which Joe will be quarterback on Sunday in Pittsburgh on News Radio seven hundred WLW