Speaker 1: Skyline Chili feeling good. It's Skyline time and the original Montgomery In and the montgomery In at the boat House, home of the World's Greatest Dribs. Now here's Dan Horde, Terry Nelson and UC's head coach Wes Miller on the Home of the Bearcats seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: It is shell time. Very pleasant, good evening, everybody. Greetings from the original montgomery In, Home of the World's Greatest Ribs. Welcome to the West Miller Radio Show. I'm Dan Horbit, former Bearcats stand out Terry Nelson, and the star of the show. Let's hear it for you see men's basketball coach Wes Miller.
Speaker 3: I was hoping you weren't as efficient and proficient as last week because I rehearsed the opener.
Speaker 4: I was ready because you told me you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to start the show off, because you know I got the Bengals thing. Yeah, I'm gonna be a little bit late. So I'm over here in the mirror I'm doing. All my stuff is shoke Tom like the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Very Let me ask you this question, would you like to be the person that starts the show?
Speaker 4: No, I can't know.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: You just did it extremely well.
Speaker 3: It's got to be special. Let's got You can't just throw me out there like the wolves. You can let me work on it.
Speaker 4: I worked on it for a while.
Speaker 2: You looked in the mirror in order to do that.
Speaker 4: I try to look like you. I grab my mic Do I do that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But you don't have a glass of wine in front of you, so the coke wouldn't do it from me.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: I'm strictly a pepsi drinker here at the original Montgomery and So this is our last show before the season begins. We've got Bear Cap basketball coming up on Monday night and then again on Friday next week, a couple of home games. It begins on Monday night against Western Carolina. I guess so we always ask you a question along these lines at this time of year, But how are you feeling this close to the start of the season about your team's readiness to go.
Speaker 5: I think we're a lot more ready than we were the last we we got together for a radio show. It's been a productive preseason. I think that the players are ready to get out and do it for real against somebody with a different Jersey on and it. I always get excited this time of year as well, so you know, we're ready for the first game. We've had our probably most productive week of practice this week, our most spirited week of practice, and that's been good for all of us players, coaches included.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you got a haircutter, you just or up at night pulling your hair out. But after two non conference games, what are some things you say, Okay, we can build on this, and other things you say, you know, we gotta we gotta shortens up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Exhibition games, That's what I say. I'm kind of this will be.
Speaker 5: The first non conference but it's a laundry list. You know, there's there was in both exhibitions. There's there's certainly some things that we were able to point out that were positive that should give us some confidence.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Honestly, it was more when we did the things we've been practicing and the things that we've spent time on, they were really good and that should give the guy's confidence to keep doing those things. When we straight away from those things, it was really bad and in both games, and obviously there was more, more good and more stuff to build on I think in the first exhibition against Michigan and not quite as much in the second. But I'd say that we got a lot more in terms of our preseason development in our second exhibition against Arkansas that was way more valuable than the first one.
Speaker 2: So you played exhibition games on the road against the number seven ranked team in the country Michigan and the number fourteen ranked team in the country Arkansas. Do you have any idea if any other team in the country tried to do anything like that. I can't imagine another team played two more difficult road games in exhibition play.
Speaker 5: I don't and I haven't looked at it, nor do I care not to. You know, throw your question to me. It just was opportunity to really develop our team in the preseason and tear you ask the question to really, you know, try to answer some questions when you have a bunch of new, new people that you're putting together, to find some real adversity that we can work on responding to right away, and then you know, obviously to take some of the positive things and build off of them or learn how to deal with them. You didn't you can't plan basketball out right. But what I'd liked is that we got a little bit of everything from those two games, and I think we felt pretty good driving back on the bus from ant Arbor. And you got to learn in the Big twelve. You know, winning is great and it feels good, and then it should on the nights you do it, but you wake up the next day and you turn the page and you focus on getting better, and you focus on winning the details that help you get better, and you have just as much intent after a win as you do at any other point. And then when you lose, you can't dwell.
Speaker 4: You got to learn from it.
Speaker 5: You deal with it, and you focus on getting better and you have that kind of intent to go win the next game. And we got to experience not just those dynamics, but a lot of stuff that comes.
Speaker 4: With it all.
Speaker 5: And I thought that was important to do with the team that hadn't been through the battles together. I've said this a bunch about this team. We have to be intentionally connected as a group on and off the court, and we want to play in February like a team that's played together for two or three or four years, even though we just came.
Speaker 4: Together this year. That doesn't just happen.
Speaker 5: You got to go through some stuff, and so the preseason, whether it's the exhibitions or some stuff we did that nobody could see, we have taken them through a little bit of adversity.
Speaker 4: That's been positive for us.
Speaker 3: Speaking of improvements from game to game from last year to this year, halveing Zalt.
Speaker 4: Has been amazing. His growth.
Speaker 3: Last year, if you asked him, what do you want for dinner, he'll say yes, he didn't know them, only English.
Speaker 4: But he's speaking fluently.
Speaker 3: He's conversing on the sideline with his teammates, and when he's in the game, the game has slowed down to him to the point where you can put him in in in crunch time or in minutes where you need baskets and productivity from the post players, and he's coming through for you.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad when you asked him last year he said something because I thought there was time he's supposed to call out of pick and roll covers and practice and I don't hear a damn thing. And you know, I thought maybe it was a French thing or something, because he's also very soft spoken. And I went over to France in May to meet his family because that's important.
Speaker 4: You know that you get to know everybody's family that you're coaching.
Speaker 5: I met his brother and sister, and they are the most outgoing, like you know, and and how beings.
Speaker 4: So reserved in an introvert.
Speaker 5: So I don't know where he got it from, okay, because his family's not that way. But he is talking better. But even more importantly, he's really improved. I would say this, and I'm gonna joke a little bit, but I'm dead serious. At the same time, he has so much value because he knows who he is as a player, like he understands his role, He understands the things that he does well, and he embraces those things very very much, unlike Terry Tonight, who knows his role isn't to do the introduction but right, very much like Layer exactly exactly. But you know, and I think there's there's so much value in players understanding who they are where they can be successful.
Speaker 4: We say it all the time.
Speaker 5: We're not saying you're not capable of doing that, but you're not as good at doing that as you are something else. And you're not as good at doing that as somebody on your team is. So let's play to our strengths. Halving's improved a lot, and he's also playing to his strengths.
Speaker 2: By the way, Terry, if you ask an offensive lineman what they want for dinner, they say yes as well, much like hel being So at the very beginning of the show, coach, you said, this has been your best week of prap this. Do you think that's because of the Arkansas exhibition game?
Speaker 5: Well, when I say our best week, it's been the most important week because to me, we've we've had their attention in a different way. I thought after the Michigan week or the Michigan game the following week, I thought their attitudes were good and their work ethic was good. I think I said that to you guys in here that week, but the intention and the focus that that wasn't where it needed to be. And after I said this to our staff, I think it was like Tuesday that week, and I started the bark and holler and I said, you know what, why for what?
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna let them figure this out the hard way.
Speaker 5: And then I told him, I said, you guys are gonna learn, and I wanted to get our butts kicked down there.
Speaker 4: I really did.
Speaker 5: I told I told coach Calipari that we talked a couple of nights for the game. I said, Coach, we're not ready.
Speaker 4: I just watched you. We've been watching your game, you know.
Speaker 5: And then after I talked to him something I really get our butts kicked because they were seeming pretty ready.
Speaker 4: But I didn't want to get kicked that bad now beyond milk.
Speaker 5: But it was in all in all seriousness, like it's different than than a regular season game. I mean, it was an opportunity to learn a lesson. We didn't do a lot to try to prepare them forward or correct.
Speaker 4: What was going on.
Speaker 5: And and that's that's been a good way for us to get their attention this week and they and fairness to the kids, they've they've responded. And we had a wild film session on Sunday followed by a practice that only ended because we ran out of countable athletic related activity hours. You know where you know, Bill Komar comes out, go coach, we have to stop right now. You know that type of thing, Yeah, exactly, you know, it was.
Speaker 4: Just blue past stop signs. They were like yield.
Speaker 5: Then we came out the next day and it did again, and we we did a morning thing and then a night thing and Coach, we have to stop right now.
Speaker 4: So it was it was good. Uh, it was good.
Speaker 5: And then you know they I think we've improved this week a lot, and that's the goal of the preseason.
Speaker 4: All right, We're going to take a time out.
Speaker 2: We are live at the Original Montgomery in Home of the World's Greatest Drips. It's the West Miller Radio Show on seven underd WLWA. We're back at the Original Montgomery in How of the World's Greatest Drips and the West Miller Radio Show. I am eating Montgomery in Saratoga Chips the best. I apologize if that's obvious on the air. So I was looking at the EP top twenty five. Six teams from the Big Twelve are ranked in the preseason poll. Three others, including Cincinnati, are getting votes. Depending on which pole that you look at. None of this is surprising to me. We know how good the league is, but it did underscore to me that no matter how hard you work to build a great roster, it's always just going to be difficult to rise to the top of this league.
Speaker 5: Well, I think number one, it's doable. That's the first thing I'd say. So I'm not gonna sit here and try to paint some picture that it can't be done.
Speaker 4: That's why we're here. It's what we do. What we do, and while we do the work we.
Speaker 5: Do, we'reng But we are in a league where there's a commitment. There's a commitment collectively from every program in this league to try to do that. So you have sixteen teams. I can't even keep up anymore, sixteen core.
Speaker 4: We have sixteen programs that all.
Speaker 5: In the Big sixteen, in the Big sixteen, Big twelve plus four right four. But you have a bunch of programs that are very, very committed and value basketball success historically. And obviously there's different levels of that, but you know, and that's different than being in the league where there's historical difference or different buy in from a resource standpoint. This entire league is brought in, which is why and we say this in recruiting all the time, this isn't a pitch. If you take a ten year snapshot of the best basketball league in America in every single metric over the last ten years, whatever one you want to go, look at that that could have any value it's been the Big Twelve. If you take a five year snapshot, it's been the Big twelve. If you take a three year snapshot, it's been the Big Twelve. And I know the SEC had a banner year last year, but in any in recent history, it's been our league. And I think, yeah, it's going to be difficult to rise up in a league or to be at the very top of the league when it's been that dang good. But won't that make it that much more sweet type of thing?
Speaker 3: Then you bring routinely, you bring in officials to come in and officiate your scrimmages, and you tell them, hey, officiate us like you're going to do in a game, call the hand checks. Call this with new rules being implemented with the continuation rule, Now, guy if on the gather, if he's hit and he gathers that thing, you're going to see an NBA continuation, which more fans don't understand because they didn't they didn't know it's a new rule. A guy is gonna take two steps after he got touched and he's gonna put the ball in and normally you're used to the wave off, and it's gonna be a basket and now you get a chance to use your challenge, where in other times they would they would challenge.
Speaker 4: No, that's what you're wrong. We can't challenge that.
Speaker 3: Not that challenge I'm telling you get you get challenges now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we can't challenge that.
Speaker 3: We can't challenge the gather now.
Speaker 5: We can't challenge anything we got. We do get a challenge, you get one.
Speaker 4: If you win it, you're gonna If you win it, you get it back.
Speaker 5: And then way if you want them both, you're still out.
Speaker 4: Can you challenge.
Speaker 5: Basically nothing, to be honest.
Speaker 2: I mean you can inbound like out of bound, inbound.
Speaker 4: You can challenge.
Speaker 5: You can challenge an out of balance call, and you can challenge a restricted area.
Speaker 4: Call, meaning.
Speaker 5: Or somebody called a block charge based on the circle. So it has to be a secondary defender. You can challenge that call.
Speaker 3: Kirk Chris, I would have got two of those in the Michigan.
Speaker 5: No, because that wasn't a just a block charge. You can't you can't challenge block charge. But you can challenge a block charge that was based on the restricted area. So if they call a block and they point to the restricted area, you can challenge that not.
Speaker 4: A block point.
Speaker 5: It has to be that specific thing, which I mean that didn't even have like so but really and then you can challenge goaltending, but only if they call it like you can't challenge a play that.
Speaker 3: But that was normally they would go to the monitor on a goltend anyway.
Speaker 4: That was that was that was fairly new where they So.
Speaker 5: Now they won't just like they would go to the monitor in the last two minutes on out of bounds, they're not doing that. So what the reason they're doing this is to try to speed up the play so there's not as much stoppage at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: Stop the three man huddles after they went to the monitor, and then the one of them leaves, another one comes back in, and then they look and they get in in a little tripod and it we're scratching your head and what the hell's going?
Speaker 2: Don't why don't they start with all three? That's migrape. It's always the two guys and then come on over now have all three discuss it.
Speaker 3: And he's pulling his pants up and you know, talking about what happened and what you're eating tonight. I don't know what the hell were eating and that's just called a block all right, Cool, you know twenty three on the block, Derek Cat's out outside. Let's stop it. I'm getting frustrated.
Speaker 5: I'm getting more frustrated. Number one, what you just described it sounds about exactly right.
Speaker 4: I can think it, singing it a lot.
Speaker 5: But in seriousness, you're not you know, the block charge thing in the restricted area, like there's two calls a year, and you're not going to challenge that and lose your one challenge?
Speaker 4: Okay, out of bounds? Right, this is what this is what I brought up.
Speaker 5: So what happens if I'm standing on the sideline in the first half with ten minutes left in the first half and I watched the player on the other team step out of bounds.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry they called.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry they call out of bounds on us, and I saw that we didn't step out.
Speaker 4: Of bounds like that kind of a challenge.
Speaker 5: What if the camera angle can't see what I saw, Well, then they're gonna say, not enough evidence, you lose your challenge and you better save that for the last two minutes. And now all the stuff they would go just get right to get the play right. Now you have to have a challenge to do it. And what if they make two or three bad calls on a deflected ball or something and they can't go to the monitor.
Speaker 4: All they've done, in my opinion, is make it.
Speaker 5: More difficult on the referees right and make it more likely that they don't get the play right.
Speaker 4: And to me, that is idiotic.
Speaker 5: And I find the whole process do things to make the game better, not make the game worse. And so I loved the idea of a challenge like the NBA where you could really challenge real calls, you know, and then you could get your challenges back if you get them right. And then so album was like, yeah, that's great, that's fun new strategy. But I'll tell you what, whatever they rolled out, it's worse.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make it. It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: You're not even gonna use a challenge because you you better save it for that into game scenario where they used to review it on their own. And so that's frustrating, and it's not fair to the officials either.
Speaker 4: Fairness down. You know, it's easy to pick them on the radio show, but.
Speaker 5: It's it's not fair. It makes their jobs harder. Too, just like the freedom of movement thing. I've said this to officials before when they started, you know, talking about freedom of movement before and the and the gather. I've asked them, do you understand the rule? And a lot of them that they're honest, will say, Hell, we don't understand it. We just call blocks because we don't.
Speaker 4: We don't even know what it's not.
Speaker 5: We're making it more difficult on the people officiating the game, and so then we're more frustrating when the games have officiated and it doesn't go our way. And so again we've made some big mistakes with the rules. Uh in college basketball, these changes I know you might you may have seemed excited, but as you look into them, they're actually not real exciting.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal, though, with every league that has replay, it always starts with just a little bit, and that it increases in order to get the calls right ultimately, So that's what's going to happen. You'll put up with it this year and it's going to stink, and there'll be games where they get it wrong and it hurts one team.
Speaker 4: Or the other. Well, next year they'll fix it.
Speaker 5: I'll be all anything this year if it favors Cincinnati, I'm with you there, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you would know that you started on Triple A ball, they didn't have instant replay back where you were on buses.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, definitely, But in many sports, I mean it's not that wasn't that long ago that Major League Baseball did not have replay And now they're you know, doing the signal to go to the headphones and check the reviews, and they do get the calls have been better. It slows down the game a little bit, but they get it right.
Speaker 3: Coach, In these two exhibition games, you played up to twelve players that are capable of playing. So we know that you may or may not trim that down. But how do you determine that When guys are having good practices. It's spirited and you know at some point you're gonna have to trim it down. But you have to use these non conference games to sort of get everybody up to speed.
Speaker 5: Or we played eleven guys minutes, right, I mean, I think we played two guys minutes. At the very very end of the Arkansas we were playing eleven guys. Significantly in both trimmage. I'll tell you what we had that that that film session after the Arkansas game, and the first comment that I made was all this equal opportunity.
Speaker 4: That's done now, so you know.
Speaker 5: You know, we basically for the most part, we're playing guys equal minutes. I didn't I made a couple of subs in the Arkansas game to get people out because of plays that I just thought were unacceptable.
Speaker 4: To make a point, but I didn't even sub in the games. I didn't care.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to see us put some different lineups out and have a chance to learn our team and let guys play. That's over now, Like we're going to try to be strategic about minutes and lineups, and I think that does make practice a little more competitive when people feel like that's real.
Speaker 2: Jalen Celestie missed some time due to injury, but he played in the Arkansas game. How is he coming along in terms of you know, his stamini and his ability to be a significant role players.
Speaker 4: He's coming along.
Speaker 5: I think we've done a nice job as a staff and made this clear to him.
Speaker 4: You have to put in perspective, right.
Speaker 5: He didn't play basketball from you know, the basically the early July until two weeks ago, and so when you haven't played live basketball for that long a period of time, even if you're a fifth year senior and a terrific player like Jalen Is, it's gonna take a little time to get back in the flow. It's been great to have him in practices the last couple of weeks. It was great to get him some minutes in our in a real exhibition game. But he is not, in my opinion, thirty percent of the effectiveness that he's going to be as a player, and we're gonna have to kind of work him through it here over the next month because when we get to Big twelve play, he's got to be a major part of what we're doing. He's, you know, versatile, he's six' seven, plus he's got a plus wingspand he's really.
Speaker 4: Bright he's really.
Speaker 5: Skilled everybody because of his experience At baylor last, year knows about his.
Speaker 4: Shooting. Right he was a great, shoot one of.
Speaker 5: The better catch and shoot shooters in our. League he's really good with the. BASKETBALL i think we can put him in pick and. ROLL i think in, space he's really good. Downhill he can guard three or four. Positions now he's going to be incredibly important to our. Team but you're looking at a guy right now that's just not quite there.
Speaker 4: Yet he knows. It we're going to work him back in over. Time.
Speaker 5: Here my goal is by middle Of december he's starting to come into his own thirty.
Speaker 3: Seconds before we go to. Break coach too much as, given much as. Required you've been very demanding on this, team more than any of your four previous. Teams is it because you believe you really have a chance this?
Speaker 4: Year? WELL, i uh you in practice this, week come this. Week i've been demanding this.
Speaker 5: Week they looked at me this week like who is this crazy? Person a couple of, Times but Uh, NO.
Speaker 4: I THINK i THINK i have very very high.
Speaker 5: EXPECTATIONS i think very highly of the young people that we're, coaching not just as, players but what they're capable of dealing with and what they're capable of.
Speaker 4: Becoming and it's Gonna i've said this a.
Speaker 5: Bunch this, is by, far without a, doubt the most Fun i've had coaching Since i've been At cincinnati is this coaching this. Group the goal IS i want to be able to tell you all That february In march THAT i still feel that, Way but Today i'm having a lot of fun because they want to be, coached they want to be, good and they're allowing themselves to be.
Speaker 2: Coached All, Right we're going to take a time out when we come. Back questions from the. Audience we're live at the Original Montgomery In home of the World's Greatest. Ribs it's The West Miller Radio show on seven HUNDRED. Wlw Rachel montgomery In home of The World's Greatest ribs and The West Miller Radio show here on seven HUNDRED. Wlw looking ahead to next. Week No Scott Zaderfield show On tuesday because the football team does not have a game next, week but we've got plenty of basketball for. You a game On, Monday Coach Miller show On, thursday another game On friday of next. Week top for questions from the. Audience elliott has removed the sling this. Week that's good to, see and he's ready with a.
Speaker 1: Question, so a lot of the guys that come to your program were probably the best on their high school, team so they think they they're that.
Speaker 4: Guy how do you get rid of them?
Speaker 1: Mentality if you have to move them to like a role player bench.
Speaker 4: Position good.
Speaker 5: QUESTION a lot of the guys now transferred right or, in Like Jeordie rodriguez's place is playing high level professional basketball In. Europe so it's not as much as maybe it used to Be. Elliott but there are are true. Freshmen you, Know sean And, keishawn they were in that role a year, ago and SO i think that's for a true freshman that that's just a process of, learning and you can see true freshmen going through. That but it's not as much as it used to be with all the.
Speaker 2: Transferring time for question from the assistant coach from what section is it? Again to seven the assistant coach in section TWO o seven, COACH i appreciate.
Speaker 6: THAT i have two. Questions one with My elise hat, on just because it's the day Before, HALLOWEEN i just have to, ask And i'm sure your mother is, Listening so any texted proof would be. Great Best halloween costume you had as Young.
Speaker 4: Wes, oh that's a good. Question that is a good. Question there's somewhere my brain hadn't gone in a long long. TIME i was Crocodile.
Speaker 2: Dundee, WOW i would give good money for that.
Speaker 5: PHOTO i used to just love that WHEN i was really. LITTLE i used to love the, knife you, know like that's not a, knife that's not?
Speaker 2: Right, YEAH i. Did that was it was a pretty Good it was his, Name Paul. Hogan, yeah that was. GOOD i wasn't.
Speaker 4: Bad that's probably.
Speaker 6: Attention wes's. Mother if you could send that To, lauren we'd appreciate it, Anyways nona or so basketball related, now so, transfers we obviously had. That we had somebody come in From, Butler Dan skillings Or, baylor, sorry came in From, baylor and Then Dan skillings went To. Baylor we have somebody coming From West. Virginia is there some given Like Dan skillings doesn't Tell baylor what all we are schemes And jalen doesn't Like.
Speaker 2: Team l from the top.
Speaker 6: Row if the person remembers the, schemes what is the un given about that from moving from team to.
Speaker 5: TEAM i think there's a lot of sharing that, occurs, RIGHT i, mean it's just human. Nature it's. Goods it's actually a good. Question i've done that with With jalen for. Sure hey tell me about how they do things, there AND i do that with all of our. Transfers you, know how do they run practice where you came from or how did they handle this. SITUATION i think IT'S i, MEAN i love, INFORMATION i love learning, things and you KNOW i was doing that today where we were installing A i shouldn't say that on.
Speaker 4: Them we were stolling something.
Speaker 5: Today we were stalling some kind of defense today AND i was Asking jalen in the question about it because it was similar to something he played. BEFORE i probably Have Western carolina trying to research defenses. Tonight but but, YEAH i think you, know, hey, listen we remember you played something like that when you Were.
Speaker 4: Baylor what were the, rules what you like about, it what was?
Speaker 5: Difficult, yeah that stuff's for sure goes, on And i'm sure the same thing goes on when kids leap our.
Speaker 4: PROGRAM i think the same. Conversations you're, Natural brian.
Speaker 7: Coach you've mentioned several times that you really like the exhibition games for what you get out of, them and you would actually be a fan.
Speaker 4: Of more so if LIKE i think you said four in your, presser but you, know.
Speaker 5: We have like five weeks of true. PRESEASON i mean four or five is what i'd. Say if you could play one a, week and maybe not the first week because you're trying to you're not probably ready physically to handle a real. Game but if we could play one a, WEEK i just think there's so Much we get so much out of, that and the product would be so much better at the start of the season for college, basketball because you're not going to get a competitive advantage if everybody can do, it AND i think all the players and coaches would. Agree you, know you get to this point after think about, this, guys in what in what professional league in the world do you go through five weeks of preseason and barely play against anybody? ELSE i mean THERE'S i, mean so what what what sense does it make what we're.
Speaker 4: Doing you, know if we follow the same rules of how we.
Speaker 5: Evolve in college, athletics we'll go from from two to thirty five or something.
Speaker 4: Like you, know there'll be no.
Speaker 5: Bridge, right but but but but, NO i think it would make college basketball better In november And. DECEMBER i think it would make the preseason more. PRODUCTIVE i know it would be better for players and coaches.
Speaker 4: To follow that. Up how would YOU.
Speaker 7: I know you say that there's no real like design of what you're looking. For you kind of have to take teams that are willing to do what you're trying to do as. Well but how would you handle if you were able to have four? Games would you have would you be going more road games for the? Adversity would you mix a home game? In would do you have any ideas of how you would like it to?
Speaker 5: Go, yeah it would make sense to probably just break into two and.
Speaker 4: TWO i mean if.
Speaker 5: You have had your way and try to play against different styles like when WE i didn't get into this, much you know in press, conferences but you Know michigan switches, everything you, Know dusty the last couple of years when It's Florida atlantic and At, michigan you know they've they've been a great switching team and sometimes switch all five, ways like they switch with the five. Man sometimes they do some creative stuff that's almost like a match zone to keep the five at. Home you know that you're going to see that throughout the. Season maybe not all the, time BUT i was excited to scrimmage him Because i'm, like that'd be great to see and that's so much different than how we. Play it'd be great to go against that. Early so when we see that in our league and there's at least one team in our league that plays that, way but probably. More that's not the first time we prepared for, that you, know, like give you an, example we Played. Baylor baylor played that way last. Year they were switching five ways at, times like and similar to What dusty does At. Michigan we had a one day prep For baylor because of the way the schedule was laid, Out so the first time we'd really been able to dive into that since the preseason we did it in practice a little, bit was with one day before a league.
Speaker 4: Game you, know that's.
Speaker 5: Difficult but being able to Play michigan this, year Whether baylor plays that way again or somebody else in the league or multiple now we've.
Speaker 4: Seen that kind of.
Speaker 5: Defense LIKE i think you maybe you'd want to play against somebody that plays a lot his, Own like there's there's some benefits to. That you, know when we play against ourselves every, day you try to every, coach we're all trying to find an element of playing against different pick and roll, coverages playing against different screening, coverages playing against different styles of.
Speaker 4: Defense but you're also.
Speaker 5: Trying to build who you, are and so you end up planning it's the same thing all the, time and when you play against people that are, different you learn a lot and grow a, lot and so, again i'd love to be able to do that every.
Speaker 4: Week Karen Good, evening.
Speaker 8: COACH i looked at the schedule for the non conference, games especially the first three, ones and it is nice to see that we're going to be challenged and this will help us when we get To big twelve. Play Western carolina is, Great Georgia state is, great coached by Coach hayes who was AT xaber for four years and he was the interim head coach. There he won an n championship. There And i'm very familiar with Coach grant up In. Dayton you got THE i seventy Five Crossout Crosstown Interstate shootout this. Year SO i think we're gonna be challenged in those first three, games and Then Mount Saint mary's and then of, course of Course louisville with on The river and that's A cincinnati connection. There SO i think that we would be challenged and prepared going Into big twelve.
Speaker 5: Play, yeah thank, you And Good, Evening, hey it was by, design, Right you're trying to use non con to, Prepare you're trying to make sure non conference games give you put you in the best position for Selection, sunday and so there's very strategic for.
Speaker 2: Sure All, right we're going to take a time. Out more questions from the audience when we. Continue this is The West Miller Radio. Show we're live at the Original Montgomery, en home of the world's greatest rips in seven HUNDRED wlw the. Show thanks To Joe, strecker our, engineer for setting everything up. Tonight greatly appreciate. It let's see if we've got a few more questions from the. Audience brian is back for round.
Speaker 7: Two, coach you said something at the end of your answer to my last question that actually sparked another. Question you're talking about how you're trying to change things when you practice against, yourself you're seeing you don't face your own defense all year, long so you have to try to prepare for other. Things how do you balance that so that you're not setting yourself back for what you're trying to do and implement for your own, defense you, know and.
Speaker 5: It goes both, ways, right because you're also trying to defend things you don't.
Speaker 4: Do that's a delicate balancing. Act, AGAIN i think in the.
Speaker 5: Preseason the first thing you're trying to do is establish your. Identity you're trying to build your, foundation and you don't ever want to veer away from. That but you, know whether we're in shell and we play out of a certain sequence.
Speaker 4: That we're not going to run on, offense but it.
Speaker 5: Can help build offensive habits of screening or passing or, movement but you are going to have to guard those sequences throughout a basketball. Season like that's something that that's very common in what we. Do we try to, get like that scout team to maybe run different offense against us than we run against each. Other we try to get them to play different, defense but sometimes they can't give the real kind of. Resistance so we don't do a lot of, it but we try to do enough so when you're in that one day prep for a league game and you see something that you don't see, often you've at least addressed it at some, point like it's not the first time they've heard this is how we ATTACK, x or this is how we defend why you.
Speaker 4: Know that type of. Thing and so that's the.
Speaker 5: Fun part of coaching is putting that puzzle. Together when you build out a thirty practice.
Speaker 3: Preseason you've built a roster full of superheroes when they all get their own, superpower but multiple positions they can. Play WHEN i see a guy Like Bobba miller who literally can bring the ball, up initiate, offense make plays for other, guys how will you use him going? Forward when it seems like he's a guy that you can basically run offense, from if not for the whole, game stretches of the game where you can run it through.
Speaker 5: Him he's been fascinating to, coach and you, know to, DATE i really commend his work. Ethic he's been getting up in the mornings and doing extra work over the last month with our, Staff like we were able to identify a couple of things that were holding him back that were kind of fundamental, things and our staff has been in the gym with him almost every morning as long as you, know we're within rules, right that type of. Thing but and he's really embraced, that and you can see his game. Improving you can see him embracing some of the things we do, defensively and he's really. Improving but one of our challenges with the guy that it's six' eleven and can feasibly do everything on. The court is figuring out the things that he can do the best and figuring out how he can be in position to do those. Things consistently and that's been a PROCESS that i, You know i've been open about with him and his representatives in the summer and certainly throughout this process is like the, summer terry we tried him in like different every week we did something, DIFFERENT today i want you to play this, this week you're playing, this position or focus. On this the next week we do something. Totally different and we were trying to. Learn him AND then i was able to Go to spain to watch him play For the spanish national Team, in august and My girlfriend LAUREN and i were there and watched two games in, three DAYS and i got to watch all his practices over that time, as WELL and i learned a, lot there like trying, to learn, you know seeing him comfortable in that environment and where why he. Was comfortable so it's been a process, with him but he does have this ability to affect the game on both ends in like so many. Different ways he's going to be really fun for our fans. To watch and then it's going to be fun to watch how he continues to evolve throughout.
Speaker 2: The year you've got quite a few players with internet. National backgrounds excuse me on. The roster were they simply the best available players that you were able to get to Commit to cincinnati or is there something about the way the game is being played in other parts of the world that you thought would be good for.
Speaker 4: Your, TEAM well i think for a.
Speaker 5: LONG time i don't want to, put exact but over a decade and. Some change, you know we started looking into the international market for recruiting back before you got real popular like it did the last, two years, you know before everybody was, doing that because we were trying to just find a way to, be different not to just, recruit internationally but to look for a difference there in my, previous job and so we build. Inroads there we feel very, confident Recruiting especially europe and some. Other areas so there's a confidence there in a comfort of kind of where these guys, have Played Like jeordie rodriguezho's coming straight FROM The acb League. IN spain i MEAN that's i watched those games live over, The years i've watched them. ON television i know players and coaches in, that league like you know. HE'S played i understand the level he's coming from and how. It translates but the real answer to your question, is no there's not wasn't some strategic let's go get as many. International players we're just looking for the right players That pitt cincinnati and the international recruiting is something we're, familiar with but by, the way now it's becoming so much more prevalent because of. The money all these kids that weren't coming over before all, coming now and so, you see it's not just, our roster but just look at, international basketball throughout our international players throughout. College basketball it's like it's multiplied by. Enormous amounts, so.
Speaker 2: Well it's also one of the Reasons why gonzaga has been so good for. So long typically they've kind of had their pick of some of the best, international players and it's one of the reasons why they have consistently BEEN an ncaa turn team and in some seasons one of the very best teams in.
Speaker 5: The country they would be the Example Of saint mary's would be another one example of teams that invested in that a long.
Speaker 4: Time ago and have been.
Speaker 5: Very consistent but again in today's world the last couple, of years it's not as much of an advantage anymore because it's Common The, big twelve, for examples Recruiting, in europe the way that we Recruit The nike peach jam in. THE summer, i, mean yeah you're you're gonna see international players all over our.
Speaker 4: League busy summer.
Speaker 3: This SUMMER if i wanted to catch up, with YOU there's i can Either text ashley and find out what's going on, with you your. PERSONAL assistant i Can Text, bill komar your chief, of staff or there's a, C option i can Get on lauren's face of, her Page her instagram and notice that she's like toasting on some beach somewhere because you took. Her somewhere she did her own, women's stress but you took her with you.
Speaker 2: To go to all.
Speaker 3: These places you have seven people that, are international and why was it important for you to visit all of these places and actually go sit in the living rooms of the parents that, You recruited and she was sitting, over there, you know.
Speaker 4: Making sure she's documenting everything. For, you yeah she's laughing pretty good. Right now he called. Her out you got. Her, terry no.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah she went with me, three times uh internationally for work Trips and i'd work and.
Speaker 4: She'd play, you know it. Was good.
Speaker 5: It was we Were in switzerland for the Unit Teen world championships In early july and she did come to two games and, SHE went I think i'm good now, right right.
Speaker 4: She went shopping, Or something, but.
Speaker 5: No it was.
Speaker 4: Very important.
Speaker 5: You know, number one, you know the scouting, is important so you got to make the efforts to get over there and. See guys and then, number two like getting out to meet families and see where players. ARE from i think it allows you to coach them on a. Different level as, you mentioned, you know you want to be able to drive and coach guys extremely hard so that you can get the most out. Of THEM then i found with today's, young person it's no different than YOU and i, you know but today's young person wants to know that you're invested in.
Speaker 4: You care where in our.
Speaker 5: Generation it was, just you your your parents told you do what the heck. To, coach period you found that you care because they know that that's.
Speaker 4: That's right so like it's not that you can coach any.
Speaker 5: Less, Hard, now uh you might not be able to do some of the same things because you'll get run run out of, the program, you know that type. Of thing but, but uh but they still want it to be held the. High standards they want a lot demanded, of them but they want to know that you care and.
Speaker 4: You're INVESTED and i think.
Speaker 5: Going and meeting people and understanding where, THEY'RE from i think it allows you to coach them a.
Speaker 4: Little harder that's just that's just.
Speaker 2: One reason the university put out a news release today Saying That jalen haynes had accessible knee. Surgery recently h how do things stand with him?
Speaker 5: GOING forward i wanted to give a shout Out To brett, rye back our sid.
Speaker 4: For basketball brett's in. The, house yeah there. You go he's great to.
Speaker 2: Have it he's part of the university and part of the.
Speaker 5: Basketball program we were in a press conference the other day and somebody asked a Question About, jalen Haynes and, i'm like if we've, RELEASED anything i don't want to talk out of. Turn here so, you know point to the passer for the. Assist, There No, jalen uh, you know had knee surgery that if there's any down or the, entire preseason, that's it and there's no way around it's a. Big downer, He, was oh He's a bearcat and you guys will see that at. Some, point man he just old school like he could have Played on. TERRY'S teams i think you got. That sense and he was bringing a lot to. Our TEAM but i don't know what the. Timetable is it's not going to. Be, soon uh but there's a chance he could be back. This year and if, if not, you know you HOPE the infli will do the right thing and, give him give him another year.
Speaker 2: Of Eligibility, and terry you actually have some sad news about somebody from your era As a bearcat player who.
Speaker 3: Recently, PASSED yeah i see a table full of guys that are working in the equipment room. And managers the manager on my team in nineteen Ninety two Final Fourteen jeff horner passed Away on october. Twentieth complications he had a congestive heart FAILURE. From afib, get checked, drink water get your. Weight down it was something that caught us all. Off guard, you know we were the guy that we hung out, every week had a cold one And talk. Ucy basketball he Loved his, ucy basketball so real. Miss Him, NEXT thursday i won't. Be Here steve lougan will. Be here i'll be at, the funeral.
Speaker 2: All right, All Right. Peter jeff he definitely continued to love his bear cast after working with you back in the. Early nineties frequent emails with questions about.
Speaker 4: The team he will.
Speaker 2: Be missed that is going to do it for our, show tonight thanks to everybody who came out to The original montgomery and we've got some stuff to. Give away if you've been listening on, the radio thanks for. Tuning in is In The West Miller radio show on SEVEN hundred wlw