Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We're joined right now by one of the all time great Dodgers, a man that led the eighty eight Dodgers to the World Series, World Series, MVP Sports Illustrated back when there was a Sports Illustrated, the eighty eight Sportsman of the Year, and of course the nineteen eighty eight Cy Young Award winner and still and still the record holder of fifty nine consecutive scoreless sinnings, a Major League record, which actually is sixty seven because he pitched eight scoreless in Game one of the nineteen eighty eight NLCS. And that's the one and only Bulldog Oral Herscheizer. Great to be with you as always.
Speaker 3: You know what I need to take you on the road with me. That's some kind of introduction.
Speaker 2: Well, you deserve it, you accomplished it, and you definitely deserve more accolades in your future. But let's just get this out of the way right now. Everybody was hounding the Bulldog about Christopher Sanchez getting closer to your record. Number one. I know how you feel, but how did you feel about everybody asking you questions, especially when Philly was in La last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it really starts to become news when you get that as far out as he did with he made it all the way up to fifty innings or so. And he's a tremendous young man and great picture and an unbelievable change up and a ground ball machine and a strikeout machine.
Speaker 1: Also better strikeout picture than I was, for sure.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the interviews started to come, and really it was going to be. If he'd have made it through the last outing and still been scoreless, I'm sure I would have started to get busy with interviews, but the interviews are you know, I accomplished something with my teammates. That scoreless streak is really a team record.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I wasn't a big time strikeout pittuer. I don't know what I averaged per nine innings in it, maybe six or seven strikeouts. But you know, somebody had to pick up the ground ball and throw it the first somebody had to catch the fly ball in the gap. Somebody had to turn a double play when all of a sudden I had first and third one out. So it's a team record. I know it gets attributed to one person, but it's definitely a big team record, and when I think back to eighty eight and what went on, it is more rewarding to think about my teammates and winning a World championship than the individual record.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, And I know that's not something we think about, but you being a guy that as a group in nineteen eighty eight accomplished something special makes a lot of sense that you're shining a light not on yourself but on your teammates.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Saxy and Moose and Gibbie and Soosh and Hatch and Hat should have wanted.
Speaker 1: To paybe the co World Series MVPs.
Speaker 3: He was amazing, you know, Mickey meeting Mickey Mantle and hitting home runs after he wasn't a home run hitter, So you know, John Shelby, Mike Davis. I can go down the whole list of them, you know, but Franklin stubbed.
Speaker 1: I mean, those guys, that was quite a year.
Speaker 3: We weren't supposed to win, and we probably shouldn't have won, but we rose to the occasion in the key moments. So we went to the brink with the Mets in Game seven, and we went to the brink. Really, I felt like even against the Bash Brothers with Oakland. I mean you looked across the field and you saw Bobby Welch, and you saw Dave Stewart, and you saw Dave Parker and the Bash Brothers with McGuire and Conseco, and it's unbelievable. While why said short, fantastic team that we had to beat, and we felt like we were the underdog even when we were heading that series, and probably even felt like an underdog even after we won it.
Speaker 2: Hey, one of the two images that will always remember, there's actually three in eighty eight you coming off the field in San Diego after going extra innings to break Don Drysdale's record. The other is you taking a kneel on the mound after striking out Howard Johnson in Game seven of the eighty eight NLCS, and of course Rick Dempsey and the rest of your infield hoisting you up in Oakland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you talked about taking the knees like I was the first team.
Speaker 1: People have kidded me about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of images there, and there's a lot of good things that happened. I remember getting tapped on the shoulder and say that camera say it, and it was I'm going to Disneyland, and then that camera say it, I'm going to disney World. And then we had to go to Disneyland and Disney World for Truth and Advertising. So my kids got this backstage treatment there and they never got it the rest of their life, just those two visits.
Speaker 1: But you know, there was some great images and great memories from that year.
Speaker 2: Orrel Hersheiser is our guest. You'll hear them again tonight with Joe Davis on Sportsnet LA. And last night I thought you just handled everything with so much class, But did you feel like you did have to say something on your own broadcast last night to acknowledge what Sanchez did and just how much attention you were getting.
Speaker 3: Joe brought it up in the first couple innings, you know, kind of like a congratulations, and we were going over some of the scores around the league and what the Padres had done. I was actually pulling for the Padres a little bit because Walker Bueher was on the mound and all of a sudden, you know, Sanchez gives up the run and I think it was one to one at that time, and then I think somebody gave up.
Speaker 1: I don't know was Walker.
Speaker 3: I haven't checked the box score, but he gave up a home run and all of a sudden they got ahead. So I, you know, I don't know about handling something with class or handling something with your true feelings.
Speaker 1: I think that people the hardest question is are you rooting for him? And that's a hard question because a record is a record. But you're not.
Speaker 3: Gonna wish Ill Will on somebody. You know, the only time I would root against Christopher is when he's playing the Dodgers. So when he's playing the Padres and you're just watching, you're an observer and you know you're part of the equation because you had done something, and Don Drysdell had done something, and others had done something. So I thought about it as while it pretty much changed my life, the World Championship changed my life more than the fifty nine scoreless, But why am I going to root negatively against somebody that has a chance to change their life and do something special? And whether he broke it or not, it wasn't going to change my present tense. It wasn't going to change my life at all. So I had very neutral feelings about what was going on. I know that people around me would kind of say friends and family, especially doctor Kurjuski. They would kid me an awful lot about, oh, he gave up a run, and I actually have to be where we're doing this interview. It happened to be in this booth and I was changing my shirt into the one I was gonna wear for the broadcast, and I wasn't even watching the screen, but the game happened to be on because it was kind of rotating around the league showing highlights, and they were having that live, and so Rick Go's base head base had it was it Merrill that got the hit. Rick's like, well, you're gonna owe him an awful lot of dinners. You might want to send him a bottle of champagne.
Speaker 1: So he was definitely kidding me about.
Speaker 2: It all right, before I let you go oral herscheizer. Last night, you and Joe Davis, along with all of us were treated to a spectac game by the most spectacular player in baseball history. What was it like for you guys to sit back and watch what Otani did last night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's spectacular to know somebody's a two way player. It's spectacular to know that they can do it on alternating nights, and one night he's a pitcher and another night he's a hitter. But to do it all at that elite level on the same night is just remarkable to see. And we were kind of smelling a no hitter there until Moreno snuck that ball down the right field line.
Speaker 1: But what show he has done.
Speaker 3: I think Will Smith capsulized perfectly today in an article where he was quoted as saying the best player to ever walk the face of the earth. And I think we probably are experiencing that. I don't think we're going to ever see anything like this in our lifetime and maybe my kid's lifetime and maybe grandkids lifetime.
Speaker 1: Who knows. He might be a one of a kind forever.
Speaker 2: Bad news for your old teammate, Rick Dempsey number seventeen. It's associated with Otani.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, I'll make sure I mentioned that Rick next time I call him.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, always handling everything with class and dignity. Thanks a lot for the time, bulldog, Am I allowed to call you that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You are all right?
Speaker 2: Another victory here in the booth of sports Net LA