Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty Healthy KFI AM six forty Bill Handle. Here. It is a.
Speaker 2: Wednesday morning, it's a hump day, October twenty two, and it's day twenty two of the government shutdown and dealing with the government shutdown. What is this about? The Republicans? The Democrats are an impasse and with the Republicans want where the budget ends? Okay, it's over for the budget, okay. And what has to happen is Congress has to vote itself a.
Speaker 1: Budget every year. That's the law.
Speaker 2: And if a budget isn't voted in by the end of that term, it goes into government shutdown, runs out of money because they can't borrow money anymore, can't do anything. And so what's going on, Well, this really contentious issue between Republicans and Democrats have to do mainly with healthcare. Now, what the Republicans want is something called the Continue Resolution, which happens over and over and over again, and they what it says is tell you what we are in an impasse in terms of an issue, and it is so important that government is stopping. So the Republicans and Democrats have done this too. On the other side, say we want to continue in resolution, which means we're going to keep the budget at exactly the same level as now, we make no changes, called a clean bill, and we'll vote on it, and that funds the government for another month or sixty days or three months or whatever.
Speaker 1: Another week.
Speaker 2: Sometimes if they're close to negotiating a deal and this time ain't happening because both sides are so adamant. Now on the Democratic side, they're saying no because Obamacare, the premiums are exploding ahead of enrollment, the national enrollment and the shutdown fight, and so what's going on with this, Well, the Democrats are saying that where the Republicans want our cuts in Medicaid and in Medicare and Obamacare cuts across the board, and the Republicans are saying, these aren't cuts, We just don't want to extend the extension because COVID came into being under Joe Biden when it really kicked in. What happened was Medicaid was expanded to have more people covered by the government in terms of healthcare, and what the Republicans want to do is simply ended or say we're not going to expand it.
Speaker 1: This is over. It was sunseted.
Speaker 2: We do not want to spend the money, and the Democrats are saying, oh.
Speaker 1: Yes you do. And that's the fight.
Speaker 2: Why Because if the Democrats don't get their way and the extensions of Medicare Medicaid stop, which they are basically now, tens of millions of people will lose their insurance, will lose their subsidies. Tens of millions of people are going to be uninsured or have insane premiums which they have to depending on income part Obamacare part their own premiums.
Speaker 1: Now Here's well.
Speaker 2: I've always been a favorite, a fan of single payer, you know, national health, and I'm obviously an out of control, unhinged left winger, which I have been from the time I first started broadcasting. I believe in national health, that is, the government pays for health and we pay through it through taxes. We are the only industrialized country in the world, first world country in the world that does not have national health.
Speaker 1: When the government can.
Speaker 2: Negotiate, guess what, prices get reasonably low. When the government and has nothing to do with it, and it's all private insurers or no insurance, then people pay big, big money. So now give me, let me give you some stats. Uh yeah, premiums nationwide are set to rise by eighteen percent on average. I buy private insurance. I pay about thirty six thousand dollars a year for my family. I'm looking at probably a ten percent rise in my premiums. It'll be forty thousand dollars a year for medical insurance. Now I can afford it because I make a good living. How many of you can afford forty thousand dollars a year? And that's if you make more than I think one hundred and thirteen or one hundred and thirty thousand dollars a year, which plenty of couples do. No subsidy, you're on your own. That's why it's so upset. And when I look at the administration and the Republicans in this case, national defense is certainly a priority, a trillion dollar budget for the Pentagon, the concentration of efforts, money, and just our thinking on illegal immigration is far more, far stronger than subsidizing health then giving you insurance. We just think the Republicans the Democrats just have different views on it. To the Democrats, medical insurance for you is simply more important than picking up illegal aliens that are roaming in the streets because they are obviously far more threat than your health.
Speaker 1: I believe that.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's not an exaggeration, that one I believe. I mean, I do a lot of hyperbolic stuff and you know that, but this one is absolutely true. It's time to end the subsidies. That's the Republican position. The Democrats are saying this, this is so important. We're prepared just the government to shut down. Republicans won't negotiate. They want the continuing resolution until we quote, we figure it out. The Republicans are not going to cave on this one. They want the additional subsidies. They want the extensions of those benefits. Shut down, boom done. Democrats are saying, we want the extensions to continue on maybe the advancement of these processes and the expanding that we did to include more people.
Speaker 1: We want that permanent.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the fight, and both sides are willing to let the government go unfunded.
Speaker 1: And how many.
Speaker 2: Millions of people are out of work not getting their paycheck. You see the news every day where people are saying I can't feed my kids.
Speaker 1: I work for the government.
Speaker 2: And then the other side of it is every member of ICE, they get paid as they pick up illegal aliens.
Speaker 1: And by the way, illegal aliens are illegal. They're violating the law, they really are. It's a question of priorities, that's all. It's a question of priorities. You know.
Speaker 2: The Internal Revenue Service has been cut dramatically. The IRS funds the government, that's where the government makes its money, and billions, hundreds of billions of dollars are.
Speaker 1: Left on the table because I guess.
Speaker 2: Arresting illegal aliens are more important than getting money, more important than the government's job in getting paid. That's the part I don't understand. But be prepared for some serious, serious raises. If you're on Obamacare, if you have any subsidy from the government, be prepared to pay a whole lot more.
Speaker 1: Money for your insurance.
Speaker 2: Oh and several tens of millions of people are going to be thrown off that program because they were put under that program when the expans of Medicaid kicked in.
Speaker 1: All right, so much for that.
Speaker 2: By the way, the average is a story out of Secure dot USA or Secure dot US. And they did the figures, and the average cost of a family health insurance plan if yourself and if you are paying without subsidy, is twenty seven thousand dollars a year. All right, Now back we go to what's going on with the presidency. As you know, everybody knows that the president was investigated for all kinds of purported misconduct, interference with the election, the document's case coming out of mar A Lago, and all of that disappeared because the president was elected, all right, So he had to defend himself, and he did. And what he wants in terms of his damages beyond of course anything in terms of paying of paying lawyers, is what he is accusing the Justice Department of is malicious prosecution in charging him, especially in the sensitive records case. And he wants damages two hundred and thirty million dollars. He wants that from the federal government. And who decides whether he gets two hundred and thirty million dollars the Justice Department, and which attorneys at the Justice Department decide whether he gets two hundred and thirty million dollars in damages. Why attorneys that worked for him and defended him during his case by the government, they were his lawyers, and now they're going to determine whether he gets two hundred and thirty million dollars in damages. There has never been a conflict like this in the US presidency. This is without president precedence. An ethics professor at Patie University said, what a travesty. The ethical conflict is so basic and fundamental you don't even need a law professor to explain it. It's bizarre and almost two Outland is to believe that people in the Justice Department that will decide whether his claim should be successful or not are the same people that served him as his attorneys. So he is he first has to file a claim to the Justice Department, and if a settlement can be reached, then it goes away without a lawsuit. If it can't and the government rejects his claim, then he can still sue the court to determine whether he gets two hundred and thirty million dollars. It's his Justice department determining whether he gets money. Next time you want to raise, go into your boss's office and just say I have decided I am getting a ten percent twenty percent raise, And the boss says, what are you talking about, And you say, it's my call.
Speaker 1: I make that decision.
Speaker 2: I think that's the analogy the current deputy attorney general, who specifically has the duty to make that decision, or part of him. There's two people said at his confirmation hearing that his attorney client relationship with the President continued, and the chiefs. The chief of the Civil Division Stanley Woodward, represented Trump's co defendant Waltout in the classified documents case. I mean that's I mean nothing less than a sounding. So settlement of claims against the Department by anybody of more than four million dollars has to be approved by the Deputy Attorney General or Associate Attorney General, both of which served as his private lawyers. So let me ask you, what are the chances of Trump making a claim about the two hundred and thirty million dollar damages that he suffered as a result of the investigation, And that's based on malicious prosecution. He's arguing punitive damages that the government acted so maliciously that the damages go way beyond.
Speaker 1: Just out of pocket costs.
Speaker 2: So he is making a claim or he is asking for two hundred and thirty million dollars, and he will decide through ordering his deputy attorney generals whether he gets the two hundred and thirty million dollars, and I guarantee, I mean, the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Are going to be outraged. They're going to go, this is crazy, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: What do you think the Republicans in Congress are going to say, although they have no say about this, well, that's fair. Two hundred and thirty million dollars is a drop in the bucket considering what you did to President Trump?
Speaker 1: Why not a billion dollars?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're gonna if you're going to get the money, probably, why would you only go for two hundred and thirty million dollars? Hell, government has a budget of what I don't know what is the government's budget seven eight trillion dollars a year?
Speaker 1: Now, what's what's the trillion dollars year or there?
Speaker 2: It's certainly two hundred and thirty million dollars is a drop, I mean a drop in the bucket. Wow. Yeah, I don't know. I mean when I heard this, I was I was pretty stunned. I said, really, I mean, I'm not surprised. Every day I go, Okay, here's another one, here's another one. This one was, ah, come on, please, all right? If you go to a restaurant named Gwen in Hollywood. It's a Michelin starred restaurant, and uh, you'll talk to a someone yer. The server recommends something smooth and full body. But Samolier comes around and what he is similieing in.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a verb that we just made up.
Speaker 2: Is not wine. It is water. An eleven dollar bottle of still water from the East Coast in this case, where a writer went in there to do a story. Now the writer didn't go there for the food, went there for the water. Checking out LA's hot spot water menu, a whole menu the world of fine water. She drank East Coast water, Saratoga. I'm absolutely obsessed with the taste and the texture. How about a twelve dollars Georgians sparkling or Jimmy is salty and complex.
Speaker 1: Gwenn's water Menu.
Speaker 2: It's a book with these lengthy descriptions of each water's origin and flavor profile. You know how wines have you hints of nutmeg and flowers and you can smell diesel oil in them or whatever they hell with Some olias tell you there are spices notes of same thing with water, I mean, including bottled water from Australia, Armenia. They also serve tap water priced by the glass at zero dollars. One of their suggestions, or one of their offerings, is tap water from La described as still or sparkling. I don't know where you get sparkling tapwater. I guess you do. There's a few water companies out there that do sparkling water from the city. How much sodium, how much magnesium, how much calcium. It's described between sweet and salty, right in the middle. There are five different categories as far as smooth to complex.
Speaker 1: It's right in the middle.
Speaker 2: And I am an expert in La city water. And if I would have somlier, I said, doesn't taste very good.
Speaker 1: So there is a water some alier.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you get that that, you know, description of yourself? Is that a certified position water some allier?
Speaker 1: I don't know. So anyway.
Speaker 2: Michael Muschev, founder of Fine Waters water Cunts, he's a connoisseur, became began training people two thousand and six, and now by twenty eighteen they were educating hundreds of people worldwide. Now and of course that exploded. Now the largest water menu basically in the world is that oh Lord de Leyton a restaurant in Spain. More than one hundred and fifty waters from thirty three countries.
Speaker 1: I mean, get a life.
Speaker 2: It's like wine, and they is it as complex as wine.
Speaker 1: It's water. By the way, this is a full.
Speaker 2: Menu we're talking about, and it describes all kinds of waters and how much sodium and how much calcium. And I'm looking at one of these from a glacier and it's from Canada, and it goes to really complex.
Speaker 1: I'm even gonna go through it.
Speaker 2: But this one has low teds's, which are considered dry in the mouth, and that pairs with lighter fair like salad or fish. In the meantime, there's an Australian water with a TDS I don't even know what that is total sodium contact I think, and that's called three bays. Its natural pairing is for heavy fat, fatty foods.
Speaker 1: So imagine this.
Speaker 2: You're going to a high end restaurant because this is not found a jack in the box. You don't have you know, the order takers haying how about your fine waters? But this thing is actually growing. Now, how many waters do we have? What was the first water that we had coming in Perier, if I'm not mistaken, I mean we always had sparklets that you that you drank at the water cooler, and then you had Perrier was the first foreign water to come in. And now you've got You've got Fiji, You've got aquavade.
Speaker 1: What else do you have? How many other waters can you think of?
Speaker 2: Amy?
Speaker 1: I don't don't. There are dozens. Yeah, there's tons of them. I don't generally drink anything but regular water.
Speaker 2: Oh I drink No, I drink diet coke. So I go to restaurants that have twenty five different versions.
Speaker 1: Of diet coke. Oh you know that you have something in common with Trump. He was caught drinking a diet coke in the Oval yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh he like diet coke. I mean he drinks it. It's delivered to him on a regular basis. You know who else drank diet coke like crazy? Colon Powell was a big fan of diet.
Speaker 1: Coke better than diet pepsi.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yes, oh yes, god, I hate diet PEPSI. I go to a restaurant and you ask for diet coke. Can I have a diet coke please? That's sort of become a generic. It's like Kleenex. Can I have a diet coke?
Speaker 1: Plice? We don't have diet coke? Is diet pepsi? Okay?
Speaker 2: And I always says monopoly money? Okay, how about the real thing. How many times? How many times do you walk in the restaurant and they say, and you order a diet drink and they say, we have diet coke?
Speaker 1: Do you have diet pepsi instead? Nobody asked for that, that is correct. Nobody ever does that. Did you say Colon Powell? Yeah he did enjoy diet coke? I did I know? Yeah he did. Yeah, I did say dead, Okay, it's true.
Speaker 2: Well he still does even though he's dead. That's beyond life. There's something about diet coke that goes beyond your grind.
Speaker 1: FYI when I drink, you know diet or I prefer pepsi?
Speaker 2: Michelle, Michelle, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? What about coke zero? That's even worse.
Speaker 2: Go to Europe, for example, and they don't have diet coke. All they have is coke zero. It is disgusting. Now there is a story out of USA today and I kind of thought it was fun and there's a new dating term called throning. Now what is throning, Well, it actually makes sense. It means you're dating someone to raise your social status, and the goal is to land a partner with clout, so your image gets a boost by association with that person.
Speaker 1: You are throned. And it's not shrekking.
Speaker 2: That's involved dating down in the hopes that a person will treat you better in return. Sort of you go, you marry down.
Speaker 1: And not up.
Speaker 2: And this has nothing to do with money, because usually you marry up not so much for status, or certainly not uniquely for status.
Speaker 1: This is about status. And so one of the.
Speaker 2: TikTokers who looks at this and everybody looks at everything, he says, if a person seems overly focused on your status or social circle changes their behavior towards you, depending on whether you're in public or private. That is throwning. Now it's gone by different names in the past, like goal digging, but that's about money clout chasing. That's more like throwning. So people aren't just dating people for their money or power. How about this dating people for the followers and online influence that your new relationship has. Hmm, there is a dating coach and the author of Unsingle, How to Date Smarter and Create Love at Last. I'm not gonna read that book, that's for sure, and says the rise of throwing reflects the growing focus on self image and external validation. Who the hell has any self image anymore? Explain that one to me. You know, there are only a self image and self esteem. There are only two kinds of people in this world.
Speaker 1: People who.
Speaker 2: Say they have self image and liars, both of them being the same one. Because no one has self image and if you do, oh you're lying to yourself now. Some want love and status and money.
Speaker 1: You score on.
Speaker 2: That's why I've had so many women in my life throw themselves at me because they want love, they want status, they want money, they want a guy with a big sponts. They want all the things that a normal person would want, and you get from me, right right. Let me tell you how many compromises Lindsay has had to make. I would do a segment or two or three on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So throning basically elevates your image and bottom line, it's simply about dating up.
Speaker 1: Where you've often heard that phrase.
Speaker 2: She or he is out of your class and if the throwing trend has you uneasy and this is or one of the experts, I guess there are new experts on throwing. The best thing to do is communicate with your partner about it. Start a conversation. Isn't everything about communicating? Isn't everything about having a conversation with your partner, starting with please put down that AX. We really have to talk about this. This is KFI AM six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.