Speaker 1: Got the phones on a home run. Ready to go. Welcome to the playoffs, Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: It's playoff time when your favorite.
Speaker 3: Show, thirteen wins is all it takes on half and escape for you.
Speaker 4: Welcome to a playoff edition of Dodger Talk. Get in on the action at eight six.
Speaker 1: Six eats Breeze, sleeps Baseball.
Speaker 5: Now we got to your award winning broadcasters of the world champion Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Here's your host of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: It's only been fourteen years. Every day, David Basse. We are live at the Bank in Philadelphia. After the Dodgers steal Game one of the NLDS by a final score of five to three. And like I told ta Oscar Hernandez, you cannot spell October without Taoe. And my good friend Janta Ribio tweeted that out and that was the tweet of the night, Juanito. The Dodgers beat the Phillies five to three and steal. I can't emphasize this enough. They stole game one. They came in here and beat the Phillies. Ace Christopher Sanchez, he was in there and was dealing for the first five innings. It looked like it was going to be a long night for the Dodgers, but in that sixth inning, the Dodgers were able to get a couple of more runners on against Sanchez. It was Freddie Freeman working a two out walk against Sanchez, and then Tommy Edmand from the right side a two out base hit, and then Kei k a Hernandez doing key Y Hernandez things in October, a two out, two run double, and interesting enough, it was Dino Ebel with the stop sign and Tommy Edman ran right through it, and good thing he did, because he scored easily as the Dodgers cut the lead to three to two at that point in time. And then Taoscar Hernandez gave the Dodgers the lead for good and the Dodgers beat the Phillies five to three. So this was the ultimate team win. There was so many different guys that played a big part in the game tonight, especially a guy like Freddie Freeman, who you know will be overlooked for drawing that two out walk against Sanchez to even allow Keik to come up, and then Taoscar Hernandez is able to come up after Andy pa has got a leadoff single off a Strom will Smith, who smartly has not swung the bat in three and a half weeks in a Major League game, did not try to get out of the way of an inside pitch. Instead, he let it hit him and he was on base. To turn the lineup over for show hey Otani. O'tani struck out looking on a fast ball, Mookie Bets popped up to third base, and te Oscar Hernandez, who was so good against lefties last year, did damage again and hit a ninety three fastball elevated in the strike zone over the high wall and right center field, and this crowd went from waving towels being on their feet to being in their seats and crying in those towels. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number show Heotani tonight. Can't give him enough credit for the pitching side of things. He did strike out four times tonight, but as the pitcher, he hung in there after having a little hiccup in the second inning and reset got the curveball working, got the split fingered fastball working, and he finished six innings with nine strikeouts. He actually pitched an out longer than Sancha. Sanchez could not finish the sixth inning, while Otani did and Roki Sasaki, all the doubts are over. He can close anywhere, anytime, any city, any situation. After what we saw tonight and Tyler Glass, now he pitched better than what well. Nobody knew what to expect, but he pitched pretty well. And Vesia, who has been such a big time October performer, delivered against getting at Mundo Sosa to fly out to end the eighth inning with the bases loaded. So all around, great game for the Dodgers as they have a huge one to zero lead in the NLDS with Blake Snell, who owns the Phillies hitters going in game two eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs. Kirsten Watson caught up with kek Hernandez on sportsn at La Key K, can you.
Speaker 5: Take us just to that sixth the inning really quick? When you guys were able to kind of pass the baton getting to Sanchez getting him out of the game, What were you just seeing there and what adjustments.
Speaker 1: Did you make?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think all credits to Freddy. Freddie got it's going with a two out walk. It was a big a bat.
Speaker 1: He took some tough pitches.
Speaker 3: And then after that, Tommy, you know, doing taking what they gave him a pitch away, he went with it and then he kind of showed me everything. He's thrown me all three pitches and uh, you know he had he had a lot more movement that the last time we face him at home. So you know, I was trying to like really not do too much and just trying to get a pitch to hit, and he actually made a really good pitch. I was just I was able to stay inside that ball and keep it fair.
Speaker 5: It felt like the tides kind of started to turn there. Did you start to feel the momentum building all the offense and then you guys were able to get to the bullpen?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for us, it's always a matter of time and it's always a matter of getting it going, and it seemed like we did at the right time. And after that, you know, Tailor with a with a big three run homer, like he's he's done time after time last two years, and all credits to the pitching, I think Showy after that one inning, he kept us in the game. He kept doing it and the bullpen came in, shutting the door.
Speaker 1: As it was, it was really huge for us.
Speaker 5: You talked about tay Oscar. We saw his reaction on TV. He was losing his mind and what was just the reaction in the dugout.
Speaker 1: We were all losing our minds.
Speaker 3: We couldn't really see what his reaction was because we were trying to see the ball. It was a really high fly ball and the stadium room really quiet, and we weren't sure if it was going to be a homer or not. So we were looking at the ball and once the ball went out, we started freaking out. And then Tail was still freaking out himself. So I didn't see his reaction, but I can't wait to see it when I get inside.
Speaker 5: We saw rookies Zaki close out the wild card. For him to close this one out in this atmosphere, what was it like just being behind.
Speaker 1: Him, I mean it was huge. I you know, I wasn't sure what to expect.
Speaker 3: He started, he started warming up really late, and then we had that situation where the ball hit the umpire and it kind of gave him a chance to get ready and come in the game, and you know, he did what he did against Cincinnati, so it was fun to watch and we're looking forward to the next game.
Speaker 5: Congratulations on this game one win, Key K.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Key K Hernandez on sports Net LA and before we go out to the phones, we have one line open. After ta Oscar Hernandez gave a subpar effort to try to stop that ball that JT. Realmudo hit, it was going to be a two run double. The ball went to the wall and real Mudo was standing at third base and did score on a batter fly ball to left field, so that was an extra run that if you keep real Mudo at second doesn't score. Look, I agree with you. It looked very weird that Tioscar Hernandez was not able to stop that ball rolling to the wall. But I'm going to live or die with tao Oscar Hernandez, and I had no doubt at some point in time, similar to a Dodger stadium in Game two against the Reds, that he was going to redeem himself. And I know social media was blowing up. Everybody was attacking Taioscar Hernandez. And that's why social media is ridiculous. It's a stream of consciousness. It was the second inning of the game. You're telling me you didn't believe the Dodgers, with the way their offense is rolling, could come back from that deficit. You're telling me Tioscar Hernandez is not trying in a playoff game. I don't buy that. That was just an awkward play that. Honestly, we have to hear from Taoscar even more to see what was going on there. But that is ridiculous the way everybody was going after Taoscar on social media after that play. Don't ever doubt ta Oscar Hernandez. He's got three home runs and nine RBIs in three playoff games this season. He is going to be huge. Everybody asked me who is the key player for the Dodgers in this series. Automatically it's ta Oscar Hernandez because he's so good against lefties. We saw tonight he was hitting third. He needs to drive in runs against lefties like he did tonight. And Christopher Sanchez he was really good. You got to give him some credit. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball this year. But the Dodgers hung in there and they got to him and Freddie Freeman's two out walk in that sixth inning was huge. Eight eight seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Orange County Dominic. You're on Dodger Talk live from Philly. How are you doing, Tom?
Speaker 7: How are you David?
Speaker 8: I am just doing awesome. And I obviously I'm hearing the show right now, and I just got a second everything you just said, like you know, you just you said, you just said a minute ago, don't doubt Taosta, And I'm like, you know what, don't doubt the Dodgers because it you know it. The the sixth inning was just magical. It was It was absolutely magical because the concert that happened in Philly ended up becoming a library when Taoster got his home run. So I am just I honestly, I just.
Speaker 7: Have a lot of adorenaline pumping and.
Speaker 8: So I I am just absolutely happy that we went to Ita.
Speaker 1: All Right, thank you for the phone call. I love it. You sounded as as worn out as Key Key Hernandez in that interview. And look, Roki Sasaki another key player in this postseason run for the Dodgers. They did not know who was going to get the last three outs coming into October, but it feels like Roki has stood tall and certainly has the confidence of everybody in that dugout. Let's go out to Edgar in Los Angeles. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 6: Edgar, Hey, David, shout out to your show. Shout out to all those Dodger fans that were affilly to watch the game.
Speaker 2: A beautiful game. I just want to say that I heard you and I heard coming teams and TV said that Dodgers stole this game. Absolutely not. We did not steal this game. They actually earned this game. Show, we had a great outing, the beats came to lives, so we actually earned his win. Would do anything they earned the win. We wanted to get fair and square.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about that, Edgar. But the way things were looking after the first five innings and there were a couple of two out hits, you come into a hostile environment and you win the first game here. Uh. That's the reason why a lot of people, including myself, believe the Dodgers stole this game, because the Phillies were on their way to a game one win.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but I still think that we earned it.
Speaker 1: Not, of course they earned it. Yes, nothing was there was no errors made. I agree with you, Edgar, but can we agree the Dodgers are a hey one game to nothing in the NLDS.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, we are all right.
Speaker 1: Love it, Edgar. Thank you for the phone call. Let's go out to Javier and all Hambra. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Javier? Potato Potato?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm better now, he just real quick. I want to give a shout out to Dave Roberts. Everybody so quick to pull their pitchforks out whenever he makes it decision that they don't agree with. But I feel he managed a perfect game today as well as he could anyway. The players stop the play and uh, the Hernandez boys ice in their veins. You know, I was, you know, you know what to expect with ke K. You know he's gonna deliver, and he came up big for us and the Oscar. You know, it was kind of a little bit disappointing to see the him let that ball pass him, but always like know he's gonna come through for us, and obviously he came through big. But good night, good feels good to be up one zero Go Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes it does. Javier no doubt about it. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies tonight five to three. Otani gets the win six innings, nine strikeouts, and Roki Sasaki comes into the ninth inning and gets the final three outs. And you know what, another part of this test that Roki passed was the fact that he didn't just set that him down in order. In the ninth inning, he faced a little bit of adversity. He was able to streak out strikeout Real Mudo on strike he got him looking on strike three to start the inning. But then the left handed Max Kepler doubled with one out, so all of a sudden, this crowd was up on their feet again. There was a little adversity there. But then Roki still kept his poise and was able to get Casteanos to ground out to the right side of the infield, second out. So all of a sudden he's in a way better spot facing Bryce and Stott, and I know it's the bottom third of the Phillies' order, but there's some dangerous hitters there, and he got start to pop up to end the game to Max Munci, so to me, he passed a He passed a couple of tests tonight. Number one, you know, warming up in that Philly he's a visiting bullpen. I've been told by other relievers that that is one of the most hostile, unruly air of the stadium when you're in that visiting bullpen. So I'm sure those Philly fans were screaming at him as he was warming up. And then he comes in in this setting, one of the most hostile, if not the most hostile environment I have seen the Dodgers play in, and is able to keep his composure and get the final three outs and also overcome a one out double by Max Kepler, with every hitter that's coming to the plate representing the tying run after that. So Roki Sasaki to me, I mean kudos to the Dodgers for never giving up on this guy and him never giving up on his season because a lot of people thought he would never pitch again this season. It would be twenty twenty six for him. But I'll tell you who believed in him more than anybody. That was Andrew Friedman, Andrew Freeman. I'm not just saying that believed that Roki Sasaki could help the Dodgers in some capacity this season. And you know, all the work that the pitching department did with Roki, and Roki himself opening up his mind to some of the adjustments the Dodgers wanted to wanted him to make is all on him. So kudos to the Dodgers for hanging in there with him. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies in Game one of the NLDS five to three. Let's go back out to all Hambra, Katie, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Philly. How you doing.
Speaker 9: I'm good, Thanks for taking my call. I'm so happy for the win. We knew we needed one win in Philly and we got it on the first game. That was so exciting. But I gotta say made me nervous bringing Glasnow out to release pitch for a bit there. Just want to hear your thoughts on good decision, not good decision on the road, especially in Philly. Just curious what you think about that.
Speaker 1: He's a wild card, Katie. But that just shows you where the Dodgers are with their bullpen. You know, Tyler had not pitched in nearly two weeks if he doesn't pitch tonight, going into a possible Game four. Remember in Seattle he pitched the middle game in that series. That's a long time for him not to pitch. And he's got great stuff. I mean, you can bring glass now out of the bullpen after Otani. He's not a comfortable at bat if he can just stay out of his own way, and I thought he did a pretty good job in the seventh inning of doing that, and then in the eighth inning things started to get a little bit out of whack. Albeit he did get two outs, but he loaded the bases, so it was a gamble Dave Roberts had to take, and I would say it paid off to a certain extent. He didn't give up the lead, so it was it was a thought out plan and I was all in with that plan. Katie, fair enough.
Speaker 9: Yeah, makes us a little nervous, keeps us on our toes those loaded bases, but think thinking as Messia helps get us out of it. That was great, good game tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Katie, appreciate it. The Dodgers, by the way, win their first postseason game here in Philadelphia in forty seven years. The Dodgers had a seven game postseason losing streak in Philly. They lost two games in eighty three and two thousand and eight, and they lost all three games as you know, in two thousand and nine in the NLCS to the Philly So the last time the Dodgers won a playoff game in Philly Game two of the nineteen seventy eight NLCS. With Rick Monday patrolling the outfield, show, Hey, Otani tonight was really good in his first ever postseason start. He gets the win after going six innings and had nine strikeouts and certainly was pumped up cheering on Roki Sasaki in the ninth inning. Let's head down to the podium to hear from the great Otani. Can you walk us through that show?
Speaker 10: Hey, you talked yesterday that about possibly being a little nervous. How did it feel to pitch in your first postseason game?
Speaker 11: And what were the good and the bad?
Speaker 12: She said, also no not you know dahn image state she I did nag any constule uh can Joko stedd cool shan.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Prior to the game, just preparing for the game, just looking at the data, doing my usual preparation, I was a little nervous. You know, imagining myself out there on the mound, But once I was on the mound and on the field, that went away and was really me focusing.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, next question.
Speaker 16: You're gonna go Howard here in the second row to wait for the mic. Thank you, sure, congratulations. The it seemed like in the eighth inning you were showing a bunt when you're looking to he can you just kind of take me through that moment and related as you were coming out to the bullpen, you know, your acknowledging the crowd. It seems that you were kind of taking it all in and uh, embracing being sort of an animy terbriatory. Just take me through your thinking in those two moments.
Speaker 17: Please.
Speaker 14: Okay, that's a.
Speaker 12: Do you know, sorry Weds.
Speaker 14: I was sold by Dave Roberts to make some time for rookie pitching the bullpen warming up, So I did. I want to do everything in my power to make sure we got ample time for him.
Speaker 15: Okay, we're gonna go right here, second round.
Speaker 16: Just the moment before the game, shame.
Speaker 12: Game game in wah issue easy he came to the.
Speaker 14: Yeah, just you know, I was just really I was able to enjoy the atmosphere, and that was the action that I took. But it was you know, as I said before, I was preparing for the game, just being focused on the game, and you know, yeah, a little better nervousness, but you know, I definitely enjoyed the time prior and during a bullpen warming up.
Speaker 1: All Right, there is show He Otani and Will Ireton in the press conference room after Otani, in his first postseason pitching start, wins the game and Roki Sasaki with the save his first postseason save. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue your phone calls. We have a full board of calls. We will get to every one of you. Plus you'll hear ta Oscar Hernandez after he helps the Dodgers beat the Phillies in Game one of the NLDS with a go ahead three run home run in the seventh inning and the Dodgers beat the Phillies five to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy, LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse. He can make up for it with one swing, the pitch high in the air right center field, bait her on the run on the warning track, He's at the wall.
Speaker 1: It's gone tail time.
Speaker 3: In Game one, he flips the scoreboard with a three run bomb, and.
Speaker 10: All of a sudden, Citizens Bank Park resembles a library, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt, Taoscar Hernandez quieted this raucous crowd, a sellout crowd here of forty five thousand plus, and the Dodgers steal Game one of the NLDS by a final score of five to three. By the way Taoscar Hernandez's home run, it's the fifth go ahead home run in the seventh inning or later while the Dodgers were trailing in a franchise postseason history. Tai Oscar Hernandez joins Freddie Freeman, who hit the walkoff Grand Slam in Game one of last year's World Series. Justin Turner, who hit a walkoff home run off of John Lackey in Game two of the twenty eighteen NLCS, sorry twenty seventeen NLCS and twenty thirteen NLDS Game four won Yurrebay walk off home run off of the Atlanta Braves and of course nineteen eighty eight Kirk Gibson's walk off home run as well, and thanks to Sarah Lanx for that note. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast go to AM five to seventy. LA Sports dot Com used the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. The Dodgers thanks to Taoscar Hernandez beat the Phillies and moments after the final out, we caught up with the great tail. Can you just talk about how emotional you were around in the bases and coming back to the dugout. You quiteed this very loud place. You know, it was loud.
Speaker 9: It was loud.
Speaker 11: Uh Sanchez was was dealing, I mean.
Speaker 1: Good for him.
Speaker 11: That situation is just trying to get something up in the in the strike zone. I wasn't trying to hit a homer. I was just trying to put a good swing on it and maybe bring one run. What a base it, How good a bad and just you know, but the big, big swing comes and I put the thing ahead.
Speaker 1: When you hit it, did you believe that it was going over the wall.
Speaker 11: It was a good swing. I feel I feel like like like I hit it really good. It was gonna be maybe a home or double off the wall, so thank god it was a homer.
Speaker 1: Tay Oscar, what is it about the playoffs that brings out the best in you? And Kei k? How did you guys keep your poise tonight in such a hostile environment.
Speaker 11: You know, I like this, I like the pressure. I like when when this moment says it's what is going on? So I don't know, I get ready the same thing. I prepare him the same way. It doesn't matter how the game is or how important it is, but you know, it just it just.
Speaker 1: Happened before I let you go. You were standing next to Otani when Roki Sasaki was closing out the game. What were you guys saying to each other? And how big is Rokie? Now?
Speaker 11: For you, you know, we were trying to call all the pitches that he was gonna throw in that situation, so you know, it's trying to help him, like mental, mental, and you know I'm trying to give this a poor that he needs to get the three outs.
Speaker 1: Ta Oscar. I'm not very smart, but I know this. You can't spell October without Tayo.
Speaker 6: Thank you was.
Speaker 14: There.
Speaker 1: He is ta Oscar Hernandez a great guy, the best smile in Major League Baseball, and it was great to see him smile and fired up after he hit that go ahead, two out, three run home run to give the Dodgers the lead and eventual will lead the win. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. David vass with you until eight thirty Live from the Bank in Philadelphia. Got to go out to a legendary sports talk caller on a night like tonight. I Ray Craig in Long Beach. How you doing, Craig?
Speaker 17: Hey day, buddy, Uh drinking my hand chosen the Sam brother doing good.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you how did you watch the game tonight?
Speaker 17: I was over at the bar right down the street from where I'm at and it was a pretty fired up crowd. But I did a little down in the mouth until the until TJ came up with those big doualarva ice single there double airs. It was a great win. Tonight.
Speaker 16: Man.
Speaker 17: I'll tell you what though, it's the one thing the Dodgers are really searching for, it seems to me is a closer. And I'm hoping that dude can you know, really bear down and win that job for him through the postseason, because we really need a guy that can get in there and shut people down in the ninth And he did it tonight. He had a little adversity, but he got the job done. And I can't believe the Dodgers haven't won a game in Philly since seventy eight.
Speaker 1: That's right, game two postseason.
Speaker 17: Li, That's crazy, man, that's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, the Phillies have won each of the last three postseason series against the Dodgers, going back to eighty three, two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine. So yeah, this was a big monkey off the back of the Dodgers to come in here and win this game. Thanks for the phone call, Craig, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Not only did the Phillies lose the game, but they lost their center fielder. Harrison Bader had to come out of this game in the seventh inning with a strained left hamstring. That's a big loss for the Phillies in this series as well. Those things just don't heal in twenty four hours, so that's a big loss for a guy that's been a spark plug for them since they acquired him at the trade deadline from the Minnesota Twins. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number Solomon in Lake Balboa. You've been patient? What's up, Solomon?
Speaker 13: Hey, I'm very good, David, as most Dodger fans are, or all Dodger fans are tonight. You know, it might be premature, but there's always that that game changing, series changing moment in the series, and I think we saw it tonight because that home run from Tao, the Philly players, the fans, the prognosticators, doctor Phillies, you know, winning the series. The mouth dropped. They did not expect it. That was a blow. I don't know if the Phillis come back from that. They're not going to lay down, but to me so far as a series changing moment, and we will see what happens going forward, because that totally changed the completion of the series. As a short series, you got one game you need toom well and you're done. That's it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Solomon, thank you for the phone call. You're right, and especially when you win the first game on the road, that was huge. And I believe that. You know, if the Dodgers won tonight, they have a very good chance of sweeping the Phillies because if history holds true, the Phillies don't do well against Blake Snell. And I'm talking about the big boppers, Harper and Schwarber. You look at what they've done against Snell in their careers, and even as recently as three weeks ago at Dodger Stadium. Snell, for whatever reason, does really well against those hitters. And if he has his curveball working, he should duplicate what he did at Dodger Stadium against this team. I actually thought my favorite pitch from Snell in that game was when he froze Schwarber, I believe, in the fifth inning to end the fifth on a curveball strike three. So if he has his curveball against these lefties, it's going to be a long night. And Game two is not tomorrow, I'll remind you again. Game two is Monday afternoon, three eight pm Pacific time, six to zero, eight Eastern Time, Blake Snell against heesus Lozardo, And at some point, Dodger fans, you're going to have to acknowledge that the Dodgers are the team nobody wants to see. The Dodgers are really good. They've won eight in a row going back to the regular season. I'm sure many of you don't know that. Did you know? Did you know? With the win tonight, the Dodgers have won eight in a row. We talk about teams playing their best baseball at the right time, Well, the Dodgers are doing that. They're a very hot team, a very hot offense right now, and the Phillies did not cool him down. So just keep that in mind. I know everybody worries about their own team and their own flaws, but the Dodgers are the best team in baseball, and the Phillies may be the second best team in baseball. And many people I talk to, former players, guys that cover the game, believe that this is going to determine who wins the World Series, similar to last year's NLDS between the Dodgers and Padres. And don't think for a second when you show up in Philly for Game two. This is going to be a very anxious crowd after the way things ended tonight. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies in Game one of the NLDS in their home ballpark. David in Downey, You're on Dodger Talk live from the City of Brotherly Love. How you doing, David Good?
Speaker 18: How are you?
Speaker 17: David?
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: My pleasure.
Speaker 6: Now I'm going to touch on something that I don't think anybody else is touched on yet. You know what I was so impressed about the Dodgers tonight. You know when they got down early, they got down Street and nothing I noticed one thing. There was no panic, There is no fear, and there is no doubt in any of those players' faces. Because what they did is they dug down deep and they played the fundamental baseball that they need to play, just like they did against Cincinnati when they got down to nothing to Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: What did they do?
Speaker 6: They came back and they scored the next eight runs and they beat the Reds eight to four, just like tonight with the Phillies. I know the dodg different thing, and yeah, we're in your house. Yeah, we're in your you know, you were facing your hustle crowd. But that doesn't face us one bit because we're gonna play the same ball that we played during the regular season. And I think what we're gonna do. We're gonna win that second game. And I'm gonna predict it here. Okay, Dave, I'm calling a sweep. I'm calling a three games sweep of the Phillies.
Speaker 1: Look, they're in great position to do that now, David, after winning this game and Blake'snell pitching Game two and then Yamamoto at home. I mean, the Phillies are gonna go cross country down Oh two. If that does happen, I, you know, as surprising as that sounds, David, there's a very good chance. And if the Dodgers win Game two, I find it really hard to believe the Phillies are going to win Game three in LA. But they got to win Game two first. Thanks to the phone call David eight six six seven two five seventy And speaking of Blake Snell and Game two, little tip on what to expect for Game two. As far as the Dodgers battery goes, it was Ben Rourtfitt, who got the start tonight but was pinch hit for in the fifth inning by Dave Roberts as he was trying to go for the game and brought up Will Smith, who got into a game for the first time in three and a half weeks. Tough start to have to face Christopher Sanchez the way he was pitching tonight. Will struck out in that fifth inning against Sanchez. But my point is, as I was watching Blake Snell go to the outfield before the game today to get ready for his bullpen session, Will Smith joined him in full catcher's gear and caught Blake Snell's bullpen, which tells me and after what we saw tonight, Will Smith likely will be in the starting lineup and catch Blake Snell for Game two. So that's another big boost for the Dodgers. They get Will Smith back, and the Phillies may have lost their center fielder Harrison Bader tonight with a left hamstring strain. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number Rob in Manhattan Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Rob.
Speaker 18: Hey, David, say you know I'm a die hard radiohead and I'm so impressed with your crew. And here I got two questions for you. First, uh, hey, what was Chuck munseygett stiff for for that error? Listening to the game, sound like he was heroic? What we supposed to do pocket the ball and that error? And then the second thing is why does it seem like the doc has better able to manage his pinch hitters than than the bullpen. I mean, there's an obvious reason, but I tell you his calls and those pinch hitters have gone well, and I tell you tonight with his bullpen, well, it pulled it out. The victory is there to demonstrate it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Rob, thank you for the phone call. Well, a manager is only as good as the moves result. Right, If Tyler Glass Now comes in and gives up the lead, everybody's gonna jump all over. Dave Roberts, why did you bring in Tyler Glass Now? But it worked out and Alex Vesia bailed him out in the eighth inning with the bases loaded in two outs. Those were the right moves. But at some point you are going to have to accept the fact that the players play the game. Dave Roberts can only make the right moves, and sometimes the right moves don't work out. But going back to last year's postseason, Roberts managed his best year last year, and he managed pretty well. He did as good of a job as anybody in baseball this year. And I have said this many times. Managing the Dodgers is not just managing nine innings. There's managing up to the front office being on the same page with them, a lot of sponsorship demands with the Dodgers, meeting greets, a lot of media that doesn't happen in Texas doesn't happen in Miami. So Dave Roberts balances all of that really well. And here he is on the verge of really separating himself as far as managers go. And this team has an opportunity to set a legacy that will be forever remembered if they could pull off winning the World Series this year, to become the one and only Dodger team to went back to back World Championships, and to become the first team in baseball since the Yankees twenty five years ago to repeat it champions And that manager was here before the game, Joe Tory. All right, let's head back downstairs speaking to managers to here from tonight's losing manager Rob Thompson, Rob.
Speaker 7: The fact that it's being called a strain for Baiter, What can you teks about what serious that is?
Speaker 1: And when he did it?
Speaker 10: Well, we're going to get some imaging tomorrow and it's actually his growing. It's growing tightness, is what it is. We originally we thought was hammy, but it's not. It's growing. We'll get the image down tomorrow. We'll know more tomorrow. Revaluate. And he did it on stots single pulling into second base.
Speaker 7: What options do you have if he's out just a Martian Center?
Speaker 1: Do you trust Kepler and Center? I know you've been out there for ending tonight, but.
Speaker 10: Yeah it's probably Martian Center. But I do trust Capin out there too, Okay, fresh row here.
Speaker 14: Rob, What went into the decision to bring Robertson back out after getting the one out to finish those six that.
Speaker 10: Believe it was well? I wanted to make sure we had a Leftianotani So if anybody else, if you bring another right in, he's got to face o Taani. So that's really what it came down to. Robbie didn't throw that many pitches. I mean he was good to go.
Speaker 1: Marcus.
Speaker 19: How close were you to replacing Christopher before you replaced him? And did you did you factor in the fact I'm not sure about this, but that David, I don't think he has had an up down this season.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, I did think about bringing him in on Kik, but he had handled Keyk pretty good. Pitch count was still on Christopher A yes, pitch count was still intact, and I thought that call had actually better at bats against San Chi than key K and really trying to get him through the inning.
Speaker 19: So and about Robertson's updowns, was that a factor? Did that factor into your.
Speaker 10: Decision a little bit? But he only threw a couple of pitches, so I thought he was good to go.
Speaker 1: Next question I left with him, Matt, Rob, what did you think about the abass from your top three guys in the lineup? Seemed like a Tawny handled him pretty well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he really pitched him well, you know, a lot off speed pitches, dotted his fastball well. Tani was good tonight, he really was. So tip your cap and move on, Cab A second row here on the.
Speaker 1: Right, Rob, what did you like about what Sanchez did, especially at the top of the against the top of the order.
Speaker 10: Rather Yeah, he was again really good, strike throwing ability, The change up was filthy tonight. What was he sixty five percent strikes, eighteen whiffs seventeen out of twenty four I think first pitch, So he was he was fantastic.
Speaker 14: He really was.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Rob Thompson. Philly's manager. Christopher Sanchez was really good the first five innings. But like I said, the key at bat in that sixth inning, and key Y Hernandez mentioned this as well, was Freddy Freeman drawing a two out walk and then Tommy Edmund a two out base hit to set up Key Hernandez getting the Dodgers back in the game with a two run double with two outs in the sixth inning off of Sanchez, and then Sanchez was out of the game. After that. You heard Rob Thompson being asked about his first three hitters tonight. Otani Glass now did a great job against them. Trey Turner, Kyle Schwarber, and Bryce Harper were combined one for eleven tonight with six strikeouts. Schwarber was zero for four with three strikeouts Tonight himself eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers take Game one of the NLDS, beating the Phillies five to three. Let's go out to Tavo and Fresno. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Tavo.
Speaker 2: Hey, David, longtime listener, first time caller, been listening to you for years.
Speaker 13: You do such a great job.
Speaker 6: I just want to say that we went into the Lions then.
Speaker 18: And we took it one day.
Speaker 1: We took him from m no doubt. I mean this team, this team is very experienced. They are the champions. They have won it. They have been at the mountaintop. The Phillies have not. And I could tell the Dodgers were not intimidated by this sellout crowd and how loud it was during the introductions of the starting lineups, because every time they introduced one of their stars, whether it's Otani, Freeman or Betts, instead of kind of having that scared deer in the headlights, look, they were laughing, they were grinning, they were amused by it. I mean, those are veterans that have been there before, so I was sold on them right from the opening introductions. Let's go out to El Paso, Texas. Omar listening on the iHeartRadio app. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 15: Hi, Omar, Hey Dave, thanks for taking my call real quick. I really appreciated Dave's move when he sent Prior to go talk to Vessia before that first pitch. I've been a huge critic of Roberts these past few years, but tonight and this past series against the Reds, I really appreciate it the moves he made. He's not scared to make the move, the right move and pulling the guy before the score ahead of us. And also a quick question for you after tonight's win, what do you think snell Zilla's thinking and what's his mentality on Monday? What's he going to do and how's he feeling? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Don't hang up, Omar, I'm going to tell you right now. As I was waiting for Teoscar Hernandez to come to me for the walk off interview, Blake Snell walked right by me and gave me that look, we are in a great position. He gave me a huge smile when he walked by me, and in that look, man, I'm ready to go and ready to pitch us to a game to win. He was happy they pulled this out because instead of him pitching the way he believes he will pitch to even the series, now he has a chance to put the Dodgers up two oh going back to LA. So he is, he's excited, and he's going to pitch with a chip on his shoulder because he has heard the disrespect from people on the East Coast that said he couldn't handle pitching in Philadelphia or New York. Trust me, he hears all of that stuff and he's out here to prove that he can.
Speaker 13: Beautiful. Love it.
Speaker 15: Love to hear that.
Speaker 1: All right, Omar, thank you for the phone call. Let's take another call, Eagle Rock. Matthew, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Philadelphia. Hi, Matthew, I was going with.
Speaker 20: Mister David Vat saying let's go Dodgers.
Speaker 13: You know what a win.
Speaker 20: H Just so much fun to watch the Dodgers in LA during the playoffs. You know, I was at a restaurant. Reminds me of like the Freddie Freeman game, just being somewhere and then the whole city kind of just behind it and just you know, just really energizing. So like shout out to La Love Dodger Baseball in October. Also want to give a big shout out to uh mister Vesia.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 20: That guy's a dog, right, I think I think there's a lot of nervousness just going around, uh bases loaded, you know, to out. It's been a tough September, but you know there's just a lot of faith that you know, just a lot of faith faith in Vessia.
Speaker 13: So it was cool to see.
Speaker 20: And then last week I just wanted to ask a question. Uh, you know, Ben Rortvedt has been catching like a really great month. Uh you know, I think it goes back to the Yamamoto almost no hitter classic falling apart, but you know, just the vibe that he's been carrying the with the pitching staff. I was just kind of wondering what it was like, uh to switch him out for Will Smith.
Speaker 13: Are we going to see Rard fit throughout the playoffs?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's what I got.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Matthew, I think rot Fitz going back to being the backup catcher. He did a nice job of being a good receiver and blocking balls in the dirt. That's what the pictures appreciated about him, the starting pitchers and the relief pitchers, but you know, he's new to the organization. The Dodgers throw a lot of different pitchers in games, and they have a lot of different rotating relievers. And I don't think it's a coincidence that, you know, the bullpen sometimes falters after the starter comes out because Ben Rourtfitt may not be on the same page with those relievers. And that's that's what's so vital about having Will Smith back outside of the obvious and rot Fit's done an admirable job, don't get me wrong. But to have Will Smith, who knows this pitching staff better than anybody back catching, that's huge. And I think you may see a little bit more confidence from the relievers. I mean I could catch Blake Snell and Otani. You can Matthew and Eagle Rock. I mean, as long as you get my point there. Yeah, okay, thank you for the fun call. A little bit of a delay there in Eagle Rock, I hear you. Let's go out to Long Beach. Nick walk us off on Dodger Talk, I love Long Beach. So you're gonna be our final caller tonight.
Speaker 2: Welcome, wonderful, thank you for the opportunity gave it you just what end up being?
Speaker 1: Where are you like on your boat? Are you on the on the boat somewhere off the shore of Long Beach? That's what it sounds like.
Speaker 2: Now coming from the island. And I was at my brothers and I met up with my dad. We all watch it at the house and so it's a great time. But I I couldn't help the stake because we put together another penknot break game where we come through in the sticks and you know, we wait for them to blink first. Now, the Phillies remind me of that, Padre and h. When Kings are going well, they're having a good time. They're screaming, they're celebrating, you know, they're they're swagging.
Speaker 13: Through the roof.
Speaker 2: But when Kings aren't going well, it seems like it's nervous time and they're really kind of turn within themselves, unlike the Dodgers, who seem to be John woodingasky that's never too high, never too low. So it really is a testament to what you're talking about that this team is ready to win, this team is ready to compete, and as much as people love the Phillies, they're not as good as these Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Nick, I feel like everybody was sure changing how good the Dodgers are playing right now, how talented they are. The Phillies are talented, but they don't have more talent one through nine and going onto the bench one through twenty six, they just don't. And at some point, you know, it reminds me of the I'm gonna draw the parallel again to the last team that won back to back World Series. They had Dominance, where they won four World Series championships with Jeter Pisada, those Yankee teams, and every postseason people would try to pick apart every little flaw of those teams and try to come up with an excuse or reason why another team that is not nearly as good as they are is going to beat the Yankees. Similar to when Jordan was winning six championships. Everybody wanted to say, Oh, this is how the Suns are gonna beat them, This is how the Knicks are gonna beat them. No they're not, No, they're not. The Dodgers are really good. They are going to win this series, and they're gonna go on and just remind everybody just how good they are in the next round. Everybody that I've talked to believes that whoever wins this series is going to win the World Series, and that's hard to argue. All Right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight and Electric Night in Philadelphia. I gotta be honest with you. I've seen it on TV, but I had always wanted to be here for a playoff game between the Dodgers and Phillies. And it was everything and more than I thought it would be. It was so loud, organically loud. They were so loud to start the game, and it was beautiful when Taoscar Hernandez quieted this sellout crowd here that was so rocous. Forty five thousand, seven hundred and seventy seven. And my good friend wine Mary actually made the game tonight. She said, on the way out, nobody was channing Phillies. They were channing Eagles on the way out. So even the Philly fans have turned their attention to the NFL. They've given up on this team. As as wine Mary has reported being a loyal Dodger fan coming to Philly, and she sent me a text said that fans were channing Eagles on the way out tonight. How about that they jumped off the bandwagon already. Game two is Monday. Blake Snell is on the mound for the Dodgers going up against Jesus Lozardo. Our coverage begins at two o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch at three TOHO eight p Pacific time, six to OZHO eight Eastern Time from the bank here in Philadelphia. That'll do it for us tonight and exciting night. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald for all his help, Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank Studios for his help, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can find our pregame conversation with Mookie Betts, our postgame exciting Embrace interview with Taoscar Hernandez, and all the Dodger content on the iHeartRadio app. Make sure you set it number one once again. The final score tonight from Philadelphia. The Dodgers come into Philly and take Game one of the NLDS by a final score of five to three. Don't forget you can't spell October without Tao. Have a great rest of your night. See you