Speaker 1: Finals physical information dispensed by a certified professional. This is the Bloomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLWA.
Speaker 2: And that certified professional Gino Cervetti joining me from Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Are you doing this morning, Steve?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well so far. It's Friday, absolutely wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm good. We did another couple of reports and it'll be the weekend.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Let's start with mortgage rates.
Speaker 2: They remain elevated, but there's some encouraging news this morning on rates.
Speaker 4: Yes, they have resumed their downward path here in the US, falling for the first time in a few weeks. This is according to Freddie Mack, saying the average four thirty or fixed loans is six point three percent. That's down from six point three to four percent last week. Rates are quite a bit lower than they were in the middle of the year. That does give house hunters some more buying power, but they've really been treading cautiously here, held back by affordability challenge challenges and concerns over where the economy might be headed. Of course, the prices are still pretty high too.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: YouTube could have some competition with a new tool that I guess Instagram is considering.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Instagram is looking at building a dedicated TV app as part of a deeper push into video, and this could really challenge YouTube, which already makes it very easy to watch videos on your television set. Instagram is owned by Meta Platforms. It's evolved a lot in the last several years from its original photo centric approach. Video, especially its reels option, has become a big focus for Instagram.
Speaker 2: Steve alrighty, about an hour and a half till the market's open.
Speaker 3: What are you seeing?
Speaker 4: Not too bad here? Futures are up seventy four. SMP futures are up ten. Nasdaq futures are up thirty nine from Bloomberg. Genas Cervetti on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLWN, Cincinnati, Steve Hawkins in for Tom Burnham, mean, I thought we talked to Brad Garrett, news crime and terrorism analysts in Washington. Hey, Brad, tell me about this fire arrest and the latest that you know, this arsonist and maybe the motivation out there in California.
Speaker 7: So lapd LA Fire and ATF I've been jointly working this case. It's been what nine months since the fire was studying thereabouts and they arrested a twenty nine year old who was in or living in near in or around Orlando, Florida at the time of the fire, which was going to be the New Year's Eve. He was living someplace in the proximity of the Pacific Polisades, which all of us know caught fire shortly after that burned twenty three thousand acres, killed twelve people. You're talking sixty eight hundred structures. That goes on and on, billion and a half damage money wise. So anyway you have that. So why has it taking them this long? I don't know, But they talk about the following that they use cell phone tracking, they use witness information, they use apparently the analysis of how the fire was set and where it was set and the circumstances around because this is always important Steve as to what happened prior to an event, whether it's a mass shooting, whatever it might be. In this case, obviously it's a fire setting. That he had been an uber driver southern California and the last two passengers, I mean this is this shortly before he set the fire, and the last passenger actually lived in the Pacific Palisades. They said he was really angry about something, and so he drops the last pass passengers right before midnight, and then walks up again. According to police, walks up a trail that he frequented regularly. That's also a common characteristic of people who set these types of fires. They say he set the fire, he calls nine to one then almost immediately that's also common to report the fire. He eventually gets through, He reports the fire and leaves the scene. As he's leaving the scene, apparently the fire trucks come racing by him to go put the fire out. He turns around and goes back to the scene again common behavior here, and volunteers to help put the fire out. I think they're able to track that the cell phone, and I guess through witnesses. He I think maybe posts stuff online. I don't know that, but I'm going to guess that might be part of it. And you know, these guys are still motivated by who knows what, but they tend to be really super fascinated with fire. And apparently he was playing a song at the time that talks about setting a fire. So you know, is he a troubled person? Probably if he have mental health issues, I don't know, but it could play into this.
Speaker 2: Uh would you call this just good old fashioned police work, investigative work to find a guy in Orlando, Florida setting a fire in California on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And you know, it's one of those that you probably have to draw a fairly big circle around where the fire started and then go from there.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: The other interesting component of this is that the Palace Stapes fire is the result of another fire that the one he started. The initially fire, the fire folk.
Speaker 8: Put it out, but they didn't get put out with these.
Speaker 7: Slow smoldering embers that were like I think, below the brush. And what happened is California had these hurricane level winds a few days after this fire. It then blew the embers into the Pacific Palisades.
Speaker 8: Oh good, and set it on fire.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: And so it's you know, but it's unbelievable. It is one of the biggest fires, if not the biggest, the LA's ever experienced.
Speaker 2: Brad Garrett, ABC News Crime and Terrorism analysts in Washington, thank you so much for your report.
Speaker 6: Much appreciated. You're welcome to take care se al right, it's eight fifteen.
Speaker 2: Chuck Ingraman here this morning. Yes, sir, it's World Porridge Day porridge. Have you had some porridge like Goldilocks?
Speaker 6: Had you know? I was gonna say the Three Bears beat me to it.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: It's a dish made by boiling boiling grains like oats, corner rice in a liquid such as water, milk or bourbon.
Speaker 9: And uh what wait a minute, that's the bourbon part is not in there?
Speaker 6: Oh it's not No. Oh that's the way I make it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but yes, what you do is you boil grains like oats, corn or rice and water or milk until it thickens, right, and then you pour honey and garlic and bourbon on it, and then you have it for records.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's how it works. Yes, you're the cream of wheat.
Speaker 2: Then, speaking of food, it's next week, since day Taco week. We're going to talk to Tony Frank talking tacos next Well, good for you, all right, what's going on out there?
Speaker 9: From the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammogram Saved Lives called five one three, five eight four Pink to schedule your annual mammogram with UCA House Expert team.
Speaker 6: That's five one three, five eight four pink.
Speaker 9: Southbound seventy five had a couple of extra minutes in and out of Lachland. That's the heaviest of the highway traffic. You'll slow down a bit on southbound two seventy five to get across the Carrol Cropper Bridge. In northbound seventy five at Buttermilk and at the lateral seventy one's in pretty good shape with no delays at all. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WLW the nine first Warning Weather forecast Center. Looking like this sunshine all weekend long. We're gon get to seventy today, seventy two tomorrow, seventy five on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Oh like it.
Speaker 2: We're actually up a degree forty six right now, your severe weather station News radios seven underd w WELW, sven DLW in Cincinnati. It is time to talk tacos with Is this mister Taco Tony Frank on the phone?
Speaker 3: That's actually my nickname? Yes, is it Tony.
Speaker 2: Great Tony If I understand correctly. One of my favorite events is returning for six seventh, eighth eighth time right next week.
Speaker 10: The Queens City eight Taco Week eight returning on Monday.
Speaker 2: Wow tell people out there listening right now, What the heck is Taco Week?
Speaker 11: So Taco Week, you know, in simple terms, you can just consider it a week long Taco Tuesday where over fifty participating restaurants will be offering two dollars and fifty cent tacos for the entire week.
Speaker 10: During all of their operating hours. So it's a chance to get out and explore the city, explore new places and.
Speaker 3: Uh you know e tacos. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: It starts on Monday the thirteenth, running too the nineteenth. How do we find out about all of the fifty participating restaurants where we can get these tacos?
Speaker 10: You can go to since the tacoweek dot com where all of the participating restaurants will be listed with all their different descriptions of their taco specials, their Julio tequila features, Corona drink specials, all the things. But also we have a unique app that is well, it's not required to participate in the week. It makes it fun and it's a gamification component that allows you to check into five or more restaurants throughout the week, and you're entering a wain a grand prize of five hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: In gift cards as well as earning.
Speaker 10: Points for doing different things. There will be the biggest taco lover. So you can earn points by checking into restaurants, earn points by you know, ordering coritos, earned points by you know, doing different things throughout the city. And that app is available with the Google Play Store and the Apple Store.
Speaker 2: All right, it's for everybody. Anybody can participate in Taco Week next week.
Speaker 3: Right, everybody and anybody.
Speaker 6: Yet it's a great broad, family friendly event. Obviously, you know, to indulge in some.
Speaker 10: Of the the drink specials, you gotta be twenty one plus.
Speaker 6: But it is for everybody, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Tony Frank. How do we get more information on Taco Week?
Speaker 10: Go to Sinctaco week dot com. Download the app will be sending out push notifications for you know, different taco specials throughout the week, different surprises throughout the week, some free giveaways, contests, gift card giveaways and more so sincey Taco week dot com or download the app in the App store.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks so much, Tony Frank with us this morning on seven hundred w l W. You all goes with Tacos next week is beer beer tasting the America's River Roots Festival this weekend. What's going on at Gilligans and Wyoming this weekend. I'm gonna ask Beer Dave all about it in about thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Honey, money, money, you know you want it, That's why we are delivering it. This is the Boomburn Money Minute on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: US air travel is starting to show signs of strain as lawmakers remain divided over the government shutdown. The US Travel Association estimates the shutdown cost to the American travel economy is a billion dollars in lost spending per week. Flight delays caused by air traffic control staffing shortfalls have rippled across the country as controllers are forced to work without pay. Fans of Minecraft have something new to look forward to on the big screen. The film chiefs at Warner Brothers Discovery confirm that the studio will make a sequel to this year's hit film, a Minecraft Movie. The new film based on the popular video game will be released in theaters in July of twenty twenty seven. Wall Street is closing out and up and down week, dominated by speculation about the long term prospects for the AI fueled stock rally. We saw stocks pulling back yesterday from their record highs. Clients on Wall Street range from almost a tenth of a percent to around one half of one percent from Bloomberg Ginas Cervetti on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: All right, it's back to a forty Tom Burnaman show, Steve Hawkins filling out your day is coming up. But I thought we'd talked to Mike Tibo this morning, President Southern Ohio Technical Institute.
Speaker 6: Did I say that right?
Speaker 8: Actually it is Mike Trible. Trible, yes, seven, Yeah, Trible there, but yeah, like trouble with tribles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, Yeah, I know iheart's ihearts involved partnering and doing stuff with you guys. Can you start by telling us a little bit about your school? What makes it unique?
Speaker 8: Yes? Well, what makes our school unique over a lot of the other trade schools that teach the HVAC course. Ours is an accelerated course which is two hundred hours ten weeks, two hundred hours in the certifications that you good probably are more a little more intense, a little more involved than the ones that are offered by the other trade schools.
Speaker 2: There you go, and you take these courses HVAC training programs and things like that, and you can get right out in the real world and work for somebody.
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, yes. As a matter of fact, our students, our school is very proud. In the last six years, we have graduated over almost four hundred students and we are in an eighty seven percent higher rate.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Great, they get hands on training and things like that. What kind of job opportunities are out there for someone graduating from your program.
Speaker 8: Well, here's the thing. When they go into the training mode of being hired by a company, an HVAC company, and they're in a training mode, they are starting out and you've got to remember this, they're starting out usually somewhere around the twenty to twenty two dollars an hour arrange something like that, which if you stop and think about that, with the overtime, that's about fifty thousand a year with the overtime. So you're being trained, okay, at about eight hundred a week, which is pretty darn good.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 2: And you've got some job placement assistants. After we graduate from your program.
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, We do a complete resume and we do this ongoing even some of our students that have already found jobs. We've actually done two and three different job placements for different students. Okay, so yes, once you graduate, you're in the Southern Ohio Tech family.
Speaker 6: You're in the mix.
Speaker 8: We can place you anywhere in the country.
Speaker 2: All right, and real quick, Mike shore Grant, I is that what it's called sho R They say it, right shore Grant, we can get to go to your school.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, that shore Grant covers a couple of different spectrums. That is for part of it is is for veterans, the other part for high schoolers. The part that's with the veterans. If we had a veteran, say for an example, with that is exhausted as post nine to eleven benefits and it basically has hit a wall, nowhere to go, didn't get anything out of it, then the Charles shore Grant will go ahead and give that veteran a full ride through our school and graduate them out and that will include gayas stiphan tools a job.
Speaker 6: For that veteran.
Speaker 2: All right, Mike Trible, President of Southern Ohio Technical Institute. I'm out of time, but we are thankful that we've got you. We like partnering with you here at iHeart. Thank you for your for your time this morning. Where do we get more information?
Speaker 8: You can call the school basically at seven five three seven six eighty four, or go to our website that's five one three seven five three seven sixty eighty four.
Speaker 2: Mike, thanks so much, Paul, all right, I appreciate it, and we appreciate partnering with you. It's Mike Tribble there Southern Ohio Technical Institute. If you need a job, know somebody. But eight forty three Now on the Morning show, Tom's out Chucks in Chucks in a National Tuxedo Day.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, I dressed up for work. And it's also National walk to a Park Day. Not in my tuxedo though, That's what I was gonna say. Are you going to walk to a park in your tuxedo?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: No, no, not at all. I'm not going to do that. No, no, no, you got to dress for the occasion.
Speaker 2: It's a National hug a Drummer Day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I don't know if that's gonna happen or not. No, no, a drummer. I do know a couple of drummers.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Here's the other weird thing. It's a national Hug a Kevin Day. Huh you know what Kevin I do? You're gonna hug him?
Speaker 6: Sure? There you go, all right, hug your card. Why do Kevin's get their own day? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I notice that there's never a National Traffic Reporter Day, No, or a hug a Chuck Day. There's not a good Chuck Day. Oh goodness, one more National love your Hair Day. Oh there you go. I'm glad I still have something. Yeah, I was gonna say I used to celebrate that. Uh.
Speaker 6: How is rush hour winding up on this Friday? Not too terribly bad?
Speaker 9: The crews are working to clear an accident on northbound seventy five at Buttermilk had the left lane blocked off. Looks like they are wrapping up that clean up now. They've already pulled some of the cones out of the way. This from the UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Saved Lives called five to one to three, five eight four pink to schedule your annual mammogram with UCA Health Expert team. That's five one, three, five eighty four pink. Traffic's running just a bit heavy from two seventy five out of Erlinger three to four minutes. We'll get you viy the wreck and then get you into downtown without a problem. Southbound seventy five slows at the Reagan Highway. Southbound two seventy five slowing down at the Carroll Cropper Bridge, chucking from news radio seven hundred WLWN hired.
Speaker 2: The nine first Warning Weather Forecast Center. Looking like this sunshine all weekend seventy today, seventy two, tomorrow seventy five, About on Sunday forty six around the tri State at your severe weather station. News Radio seven hundred WLW. Well, they indicted the New York attorney this week. We'll talk to Stephen Portinoy about it next. Seven hundred wl W, Cincinnati thought we talked to Steven Portnoy, our ABC News national correspondent in Washington. Stephen, the New York Attorney General has been indicted on at least one count of alleged fraud. Can you share with us what that fraud is and what's going on with this story.
Speaker 12: The allegation against the New York State Attorney General is that she bought a house in twenty twenty in the depths of the pandemic, apparently for her niece. The property was sold for one hundred and thirty seven thousand dollars a three bedroom house in Norfolk, Virginia, to put twenty percent down, got a thirty year fixed rate mortgage at three percent.
Speaker 6: Prosecutors alleged that she listed it.
Speaker 12: On the application as a secondary home, but what they say she should have done is listed as an investment property. They say that if she had done that, she would have been charged a higher rate, not three percent. But prosecutors say, well, it should have been three point eight percent. And if you take the difference in the interest payments over thirty whole years and you add it all up, she would have paid about nineteen thousand dollars more if she had that higher three point eight percent rate and had held the home for thirty years. Now, prosecutors say this is a bank fraud, making false statements to a financial institution. Maximum sentence thirty years in prison. Oh mine, Well, we'll see. Look, James is calling these charges baseless and a perversion of the justice system. And the question is you know whether she actually did commit a crime, and there are some doubts about that. You know, what we know and have reported is that you know officials inside the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern Virginia looked at this and determined that they couldn't bring a case that they'd win. And that follows the same judgment of the career prosecutors in the case against James Comy, which is now in the process of being challenged by Comy's defense lawyers.
Speaker 6: They're going to make a number of motions to try to get the case thrown out.
Speaker 12: Ultimately, you know, Letitia James has been given a summons to appear. The arraignment is scheduled for later this month, but you can imagine that there'll be an allegation that this is a selective in vindictive prosecution. And one elements of the argument may be the report by Pro Publica that if you look at the current cabinet of this administration, it has among its members a labor secretary, a transportation secretary, and an EPA administrator. So if you look at their mortgage applications you might find similar problems. No indication yet that those Trump administration officials are about to be indicted.
Speaker 2: And just so everybody understands, the New York Attorney General James, she's the one that was had a hand in trying to prosecute Trump last year years ago.
Speaker 6: Whatever she brought.
Speaker 12: The civil fraud case had a judge finding that the Trump organization was engaged in essentially a criminal enterprise of overvaluing its assets, and the judge issued a half billion dollar penalty that has since been zeroed out on appeal. Now that verdict, though, is still in place. The President is taking it all the way to New York State's highest court, convinced that he'll win. And there's a good argument that you can make. But what one thing has to do with the other, well, that's for the president himself to explain.
Speaker 2: Yep, hey see important, I keep us informed. Thank you for your report.
Speaker 6: You bet all right?
Speaker 3: You know what that means.
Speaker 6: It's about eight fifty four on a Friday.
Speaker 3: That's beer Dave music there, Ay, good morning, beer Dave.
Speaker 6: How you do one?
Speaker 5: An? Steve Hawkins, how are you today?
Speaker 3: Good? Good to have you back in town.
Speaker 2: We got I guess you got a lot of you got beer tastings at the America's River Roots Festival this weekend. People can go down there and do some stuff. But you got other things for us to talk about.
Speaker 5: Right, absolutely correct?
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with the Gilligans Octoberfest this weekend over there is that Wyoming.
Speaker 3: Do I have that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct. That's the Gilligans on the Green, which West Side Brewing took over, and they're going to do an Octoberfest. And I had a chance a couple of weeks ago to try some of their fat beers, and they really got a nice selection of them, and they'll be releasing these on Saturday for their Octoberfest, and then also on Sunday, they're gonna break with a new brunch menu and they're gonna be releasing Gilligan's Expresso Porter, so a nice coffee porter, which sounds really good.
Speaker 3: I haven't had it yet, Absolutely to it. But those Bavarian beers you recommend highly.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, No, they did a really good job. They've got five different ones, so that's really you know, I don't think there's anybody else that did five that fall in that category.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, City elevenon going on today and tomorrow. They've got their eleven in october Fest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably a good thing this isn't called November Fest because we'd still be talking about these for another month. But we're winding down here into October and the city eleven and has airs for today and tomorrow. And also while you're in there, if you haven't been, the Lebanon Brewing Company is really cool in the old firehouse right downtown. So take a day of it and get up to Lebanon and you're gonna have great weather for it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: Right over at BCS Brewing and Mason, they're holding their say colsh they say that.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, that is correct. Yeah, they're doing the Colt service. Well, they'll bring out the nine little glasses on the staying and they'll let you sip around on them. And it's also hide in with a pig roast, so they're saying, eat pig, drink, drink coal sho be merried. So that's good going on on Sunday.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about this, but you have to explain this to me.
Speaker 2: The small business owners and a lot of the local businesses that are doing beer and stuff. They've reacted to Governor Dewaines temporary THHC band. Tell me about this and why it's important.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So there's three breweries here locally that play in the THC Beverages. They produce them and stuff. High Grain makes a brand called a Stazi, and then you've got Urban Artifact and also fifty West that are making them. And so starting Tuesday, there's going to be a ban on these in Ohio. So until they can really get their head around it and figure out what they're doing, these starting on Tuesday aren't going to be on sale anymore. So these people are sitting on some inventory and uh other things and this has become a good, a good little chunk of their business, especially as there's been a downturn in in beer and other alcohol consumption, and so they're they're all trying to find ways of survival and then they get hit with the governor's uh uh ruling this week. So it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. But that's uh, you know, you never you never know how the news affects what you have in your refrigerator.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so this weekend, if we can go to these places and maybe drink some of the inventory to help them out right.
Speaker 5: Correct and most of them package it for sale to go, so you can you can stock up until the uh the injunction comes along and uh and it's back on the shelves again, so if you become a fan of these, I recommend going by and stocking up this weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, any idea that they will come back or do you not know that yet?
Speaker 5: Not sure? I know a lot about beer, but politics, I'll leave that to some other.
Speaker 6: Ex all right.
Speaker 2: Next week, one of my favorite weeks of the year in Cincinnati, it's Cincinnati Taco Week. Beer goes well with tacos, right.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And this is great because these places that are on here and there's a number of breweries. You know, it's two dollars and fifty cents for a taco, So you get three tacos and a pint of beer with a tip, and you're probably out the door for under twenty bucks. That's a pretty nice little quick, quick lunch or dinner. And I recommend getting out there. And one of the ones that participates every year is Little Miami and they've got their little taco truck that they run, and Little Miami is also introducing their Tangerine Tour, which just got tapped, and so if you haven't had that, it's just really nice and tart, and it's got that really nice tangerine flavor to it that also Tomorrow night they've got Mojo Rising, a really nice cover band play and then it's a cover band, but there is no cover charge.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I may get out to a cartridge and have a taco and a beer there This weekend, Beer Dave on Friday Mornings and Tom Burnaman Show, Where are you going to be drinking beer this weekend?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be hosting a couple of the tastings down at American River Routes on Saturday and Sunday, so I will be I'll bet along the river bank.
Speaker 3: Do you know the times yet or we'll just track you.
Speaker 5: Down four o'clock on Saturday and four o'clock on Sunday.
Speaker 2: There you go, people listening, go see Beer Dave four o'clock both days. Hey, beer Dave, thank you so much for your time every week, and we'll talk to you next Friday.
Speaker 5: Okay, that sounds great.
Speaker 6: Steve Dave, you
Speaker 2: Two Beer Dave on seven hundred WLW Scott Sloan, He's been known to have a beer I think is coming up after the news on news Radio seven hundred WLW