Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We get right running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers do what they've been doing since twenty eighteen, Game one sixty three to be exact, and that's beating the Rockies tonight. The Dodgers come from behind with a four run seventh in name to beat the Rockies tonight by a final score five to three. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until ten thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Coming up later in the show, we'll get you an update on Tommy Edmund. You'll hear from Mark Prior on Eric Lower on the eve of his Dodger debut. Plus we will check in with Jose Mota. So a lot to get to, including your phone calls at eight, six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy. It kind of felt like the Dodgers were flat tonight until that seventh inning. And I guess you can thank the Rockies bullpen in that seventh inning that really brought them to life. One Mahea throwing eight straight pitches outside of the strike zone. He was charged with two of the runs in the seventh inning and takes the loss.
Speaker 3: He's now two to three.
Speaker 2: While the Dodgers got some key hits from Freddie Freeman and Andy pai Has and don't discount that seventh inning rally number one, show Hey Otani hustling up the first base line. We always talk about, show hey the hitting, Show Hey the pitching, of course, but for him, your best player, you most talented player, to be hustling up that first base line trying to avoid a double play was key because Mookie Betts hit a sacrifice fly to shallow left field to score Kim to tie the score. If there's a double play, obviously there's no chance for that happening. So that's one of the little things that don't show up in the box score. That played a huge part and the Dodgers having the opportunity to not only tie the score, but also for Freddie Freeman to be able to come up and deliver his five hundred and sixty second career double to score Otani to give the Dodgers the lead. So those things win you games, and when it's your best player doing it, that sends a message to everybody else. So certainly a big play there in that seventh inning. I was a little surprised and we could get to Mooki Betts. Now, I feel like everybody is really premature in saying that this is the beginning of the decline for Mookie Bets.
Speaker 3: Last year he had some issues.
Speaker 2: That illness in the beginning of the year set him back the entire summer. He came back to life in September, and this year, you know, he looks stronger, bigger and locked in for opening Day, and then all of a sudden he strains his right o bleak. And since he's come back, you know, it hasn't looked great. But I will say this, and I know everybody's tired of hearing this, but it's reality. He has been hitting the ball hard for the most part. He has hit into some bad luck, but at a certain point in time, you got to get some results. But it's hard for me to judge Mookie Bets when he only has seventy nine at bats to start the year. I was talking to Kenny Landrou earlier today, the former Dodger World Series champion, and you know, he does a lot of coaching with the Yard in LA. He watches the games, and he said, you can't judge Mookie Bets until he has between one hundred and one hundred and fifty at bats. He still hasn't gotten that many at bats. And you look at keik A Hernandez obviously did not have a spring training, but he got fifty played appearances in the minor leagues. Mookie Betts played two rehab games in Oklahoma City after missing almost five weeks. So come on, give this guy a little bit of the benefit of the doubt that he's a really good player and is just a little bit off.
Speaker 3: It's not ideal that he's.
Speaker 2: Hitting second, but there's not a lot of options for other guys to hit second. If Will Smith was Will Smith, I would say automatically Will Smith. But he's not really swinging the bat like Will Smith either. So let's just give Mookie Betts at least seven more at bats before anybody starts to put dirt on his career and say that he's over. Now, I've never bought the idea that playing shortstop is less taxing than if Mookie just would have stayed in right field. Nobody's going to convince me of that. But it's a lot easier to find an outfielder than it is a shortstop. And he's played pretty good shortstop, no denying that, But the principle of the matter is, don't try to tell me that shortstop is less taxing than right field. And with Reggie Smith here, it was great to see Reggie Smith back at Dodger Stadium throwing out the first pitch. I would love for Mookie Bets just to spend an hour with Reggie Smith. I think he would be very enlightened talking hitting with Reggie Smith and just talking to Reggie Smith. And that's no knock on any of the Dodgers' hitting coaches. That's just how good Reggie Smith is. So you know, those things are what I'm thinking of when it comes to Mookie Bets. So let's give this guy a little bit of a pass. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight by a final score of five to three.
Speaker 3: Image.
Speaker 2: She and got hit on the right shoulder one hundred and four miles an hour line drive off the bat of Troy Johnston. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from the Dodger right hander. Image She and who stayed in the game and really pitched well six innings, eight strikeouts and allowed only two earned runs.
Speaker 5: Ah, yeah, right in between, I think bicep tricep on my arm, But no, I felt fine. I knew it was just caught like muscles, so stung in the moment, but it wasn't anything, you know, to be worried about.
Speaker 6: So you talked about wanting to get deeper into game, to get through seat through six innings of work tonight, just not don't know how much pride are you take in that, But how much pride do you take in just wanting to stay out there fighting and stay out there and battling through it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's that's your job as a starter, is to get through some many innings as possible, to take the load off the bullpen and put of zero. So it definitely felt good to be out there for six I have a couple of vision't want to have back.
Speaker 7: But yeah, fucked lobbying.
Speaker 8: How much lobbing was there to stay out there, especially like the second time David Thomas came out.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah, I mean I just told him I felt good. They were concerned, I think, but yeah I felt felt fine. So good amount of lobbying.
Speaker 9: Do anything between its just to keep it loose for it's feel fine now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the trainers were great. They gave me like a little hot pack or something to keep it, you know, from swalling up, I guess. So yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was fun, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Emma shean all as well. To allow him to stay in for six innings, and we'll see how he feels tomorrow, because usually the day after you're more sore than you are the night that something like that happens. One hundred and four miles an hour off his right shoulder, and he stayed in the game in the fourth inning. Dave Roberts and Thomas Aalbert, the Dodger trainer, came out two separate times to check on and he reassured him that he's fine and wanted to stay in, So that showed a lot about who Emig Sheen is as well. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modelo the Mark of a Fighter in case you're joining us late. The Dodger bullpen scoreless inning streak came to an end in the seventh inning tonight. Kyle Hurt gave up a home run to Ezekiel Tovar in the seventh inning, and that was the first home run the Dodger bullpen had allowed in the month of May, and this thirty eight consecutive scoreless inning streak went back to May twelfth, Eleven straight games for this Dodger bullpen not to give up a run, which includes a nine inning shutout against the Angels the night that Blakesnell was scratched two fridays ago. Let's not forget that they pitched a full, complete game shutout and it was twelve different pitchers that had a hand in thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings. We need John Suhu, the Dodger the Great Team photographer to get a photo of these guys because they hold the Dodger franchise record for the most consecutive scoreless innings. Guys named Charlie Barnes guys named Wyatt Mills, Chase McDermott, Paul Gervais and Gardo Enriquez, Jonathan Hernandez, and of course the household names of Kyle Hurt, Will Klein, Alex Vesia, Jack Dreyer, Blake Trining, and Tanner Scott all contributed to thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings. So for all of you that freak out over one run the bullpen gives up, just remember thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings. And that's without Edwin Diaz or Evan Phillips or Bruce star graderol Or Brock Stewart. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight after the Dodgers beat the Rockies five to three, LEVI was at the ballpark.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Levi?
Speaker 10: I'm great.
Speaker 7: What a great win today?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: I was a little concerned the adrelline adrenaline wasn't there, and then you saw the seventh inning. They they sniffed out a big inning and they were able to deliver.
Speaker 7: It was huge and it was a very exciting game. Was also fun to be there with my son Henry and three of his buddies for his birthday.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a pretty good birthday present. Way to go, Dad, Thanks a lot for calling in. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I'm going to choose a birthday party or a chance to take two of my friends to a Dodger game, I think I'm choosing the Dodger game. Let's go out to Johnny who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Johnny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey David.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was at the game.
Speaker 3: He was awesome.
Speaker 7: I was just wondering what was going on seventh inning? Was there some gamesmanship when Kik was getting subbed out? And then I saw Dalton rushing getting ready and then ultimately Miggy Road tick the at bat. Could you break that down for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a chess match because Key Hernandez was the uh was the batter coming up, and the Rockies had a right hander Hill on the mill mound, Jaden Hill, who is their best reliever, and Dave Roberts wanted to go matchup, so he uh he brought in or excuse me, they had Mahia, the right handed Mahia on the mound and keyk Hernandez was the UH was the batter coming up. So Dave Roberts wanted to force the Rocky s hand to make a decision whether or not to bring in the lefty Brendan Bernardino or leave Mehea in there who was struggling. So he went to uh Dalton rushing. He was announced, so he was officially in the game. That's when the Rockies matched up and brought in the left hander, Brendan Bernardino. And that's when Dave Roberts decided, I want the right handed hitting Miguel Rojas to face the left pand of pitching Brendan Bernardino. So that was the cat and mouse right there, chess game between the two managers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how about Dave Dave out his bobblehead flashing a little stuffing and then also, I know, thirty six scoreless for the Bulten was our franchise record.
Speaker 3: We got thirty eighty eight.
Speaker 7: What's the ultimate Like, what's the ultimate record for any Bulton I'd never heard.
Speaker 2: That, Okay, So it was thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings for the Dodgers that came to an end tonight. They broke the nineteen ninety eight Dodgers franchise record of thirty three consecutive scoreless innings, and the major League record is forty four consecutive scoreless innings by the Kansas City Athletics in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 9: How about that?
Speaker 2: So when you go work for you zoom with your buddies tomorrow, you can give them all that information I just laid out for you.
Speaker 7: Thanks, daveppreciate it.
Speaker 3: You sound like a work from home type of guy.
Speaker 7: No, I'm an actor, so I'm gonna work from nowhere type of guy.
Speaker 3: Oh, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you're at residuals in Studio City, you could drop that on everybody. Yes, sir, all right, Johnny, thank you for the phone call. Wow, I'm out of work actor. Hey, times are tough in Hollywood. Let's go on to Manny. You're on Dodger Talk. Get that voice clear, Manny, what are you doing.
Speaker 11: I'm getting it ready because I don't want to be like the last caller. I'm gonna be ready to go in case I get.
Speaker 12: That job offer.
Speaker 3: Hey, I hope you do.
Speaker 1: Thanks Stevie.
Speaker 7: What a game to watch.
Speaker 11: I was at Dodger Stadium today beautiful weather was about seventy four and they cooled off to about sixty six tonight. I will have to agree with you, it was a little bit kind of flatline energy tonight. And then number eight Keiky Hernandez picked up his bat and scorched a line drive down the left field side, and uh, he kids bad in the thousand right now. So I mean things are getting things are going well for my boys, and I'm just I'm a little to say this. I'm a little disappointed about Edwin Diaz with the injury and all this other stuff going on. But I will say because of that, Will Smiths or or will client excuse me, has now emerged as somebody who we can count on. So it's good to see Will Klein take that role and established established himself as one of the dogs in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like last year we didn't know who he was until that incredible Game three of the World Series. And you're wondering, Okay, so he did that, but how is he going to come back and pitch this year? He's added a slider, which has completely changed things in a good way for him. But Manny, I feel like it's opened the door for Tanner Scott to get the opportunity again. And I'm really happy for Tanner Scott to prove that last year was an aberration. I feel like the injury to Edwin Diaz has opened the door of opportunity more for Tanner Scott to get in the good graces of people like Manny.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I agree, And I was one of the ones who was bashing Tanner last year, and so I'm just eating my heart out and I hope I finished the entire meal when we went until we win that third title.
Speaker 7: So keep it up, boys, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Manny, good luck with the job hunt eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight, five to three. And here's something else to consider. The Dodgers have won ten of their last twelve. They're two and a half games ahead of the Padres. How many teams in Major League Baseball can go a man short the caliber of Max Munsey for three straight games and win all three And they're looking to make it a fourth tomorrow because Moncy, I would say, is not going to be available tomorrow and the Dodgers are facing Kyle Freeland, keyk is going to be in there. You hope that Rojas isn't two sore to be in there again. Seriously, think about that. I know it's American League rules now with the universal DH and you don't do double switches. There aren't a lot of pinch hitting. But you use three batters in that one sequence in that seventh inning, using burning keyk, Burning rushing, and using rushing, using Rojas. All you had on the bench I believe was Alex Call at that point, no other infielders. So think about that. How many teams besides the Dodgers could go three straight games a man short the caliber of Max Munsey and not blink an eye and win three games, two of them against a very good Brewers team. Not too many teams, if any, could do that, except the Dodgers. Let's go out to Scott who is at Uniclo Field at Dodgers State Aum tonight.
Speaker 9: Hi Scott, Hey David, how are you tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm doing it sprizingly better than I thought I would coming back from Milwaukee.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's tough coming from the East. Wow, you guys do a great job. Your call screeners the best. So a couple of things. First of all, he's okay, five hundred and sixty two doubles. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. The guy is just a machine. And I'm so glad he's with the Dodgers and not the Braves. This Freddy Freeman, who every night proves why he's my favorite Dawyer Right there.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Braves are a distant way in the rear view mirror if your Freddy Freeman is two most signature moments in his Major league career are with the Dodgers. I would venture to say, Scott, when Freddy Freeman goes to Cooperstown, that he will not have a logo on his hat because the Braves. Obviously he spent the majority of his career with the Braves, But the Dodgers are the team, and the images and the highlights you're going to see of Freddy Freeman more than you'll ever see Freddie Freeman in a Braves uniform. Because that home run, that Grand Slam in Game one of the twenty four World Series is going to be shown as many times as Kirk Gibson's home run in nineteen eighty eight. So that's the image of Freddy Freeman holding that bat high like a sword. Nothing from the Braves sticks out.
Speaker 9: It's a great point because once he gets to Cooper's town with this other dodger named MOOKI I mean, the guys played thirteen stree. I'm just thinking Kershaw, well, Kershaw, no doubt. Look at how many guys are going to the hall. But I mean, I just want to run. I go and have Kershaw's accomplishments right in front of me. But after thirteen seasons, they should let Mooky, like you said earlier on the show, let him have his at bats. Guy's got three rings, he's an eight time MVP and All Star. He's got six gold clubs.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not an eight time MVP. If he was, he would be in the Hall of Fame, maybe one.
Speaker 9: Of the great play eight time All Star. Yes, he's an MVP and an eight time Moster.
Speaker 2: He's a great player, Scott. And when you have that type of resume, I know that's your point. Give the guy some grace after straining his right obleaque and yeah, give him a chance for at least one hundred and fifty at bats before you say you know what this guy's done now. But that's what people do, and this isn't the NBA. It's not the NFL, it's baseball. It's a marathon. Give him a chance. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we have two lines open. We'll take more of your phone calls at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We'll give you an update on Tommy Edmund. We'll explain why the Dodgers decided to designate Santiago Espinal to activate Keith Hernandez before tonight's game. Plus, you'll hear from Dodgers pitching coach Mark Pryor as he helped Eric Lower get ready for his Dodger debut tomorrow night, as Lower will face Kyle Freeland tomorrow night here at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers have won three in a row. They're two and a half games ahead of the Padres in the NL West after they beat the Rockies five to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse, Freddie swings hits.
Speaker 1: A drive to right and j Let's pill heading back toward the wall. It is off the wall.
Speaker 13: Show Hey rold third, He'll store and in the second base with us five hundred and sixty second career double is Freddie Freeman and the Dodgers have in front four to three.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman coming up clutch in.
Speaker 2: The seventh inning to help the Dodgers score four runs in that seventh inning and come from behind to beat the Rockies by a final score of five to three. With Freddy Freeman's RBI double his five hundred sixty second career double, He's only three away from tying Carlos Beltran for twenty eighth all time on the Major League Baseball doubles list. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. How about Freddy Freeman not only coming up clutch and being one of the greatest hitters of this generation. But he has such a fun loving spirit at first base. I've never seen a first baseman welcome hitters to first base the way that Freddie Freeman has his entire career. And when Kyle Caros got a leadoff single in the third inning, Freddie Freeman started to try to get Caros to look up at his dad, Eric, who was broadcasting with Steven Nelson on Sports Net LA. You could see Freddie on the Rockies broadcast pointing up to the broadcast booth here and Kyle would not look and Eric was not looking down either. But I think that's a dynamic that we haven't talked about a lot. Have you ever seen a first baseman be as gracious to the opponents at first base than Freddie Freeman? I mean, that was that was classic Freddie Freeman right there. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers have won ten of their last twelve. They have a two and a half game lead over the Padres. And in that seventh inning where the Dodgers came back because of a brutal Rockies bullpen, when Miguel Rojas finally took that at bat in the nine hole, he got hit on the back shin back, right foot back shin area and was he was hurt pretty bad and he was trying to walk it off. He stayed in the game, and it was in doubt whether or not he could continue in the eighth inning, let alone the ninth inning. And Max Munsey, who has not played in the last three games after being hit himself by a pitch on the right wrist, was in the dugout and he was looking at first baseman's gloves, so there was a chance that Munsey would have gone to first base, if not third base, And then Dave Roberts after the game clarified it and said Munsey would be at third base for the ninth inning. But the reason why it would have been dicey is because earlier this afternoon when I got to the ballpark, Max Munsey was playing catch with a trainer from about ninety feet and then when the Dodgers started taking infield practice, Max Munsey was fielding ground balls, but he wasn't making the throw across the diamond. So that's part of the line of thinking, well, Miguel Rojas probably wasn't feeling great. The epitome of a teammate understanding it. The toughness that Miguel Rojas has shown over the course of his entire career.
Speaker 3: He stayed in there.
Speaker 2: And Max Mounsey, even though he had his goggles on, is right wrist taped up. I mean, if you can't make a throw in practice across the diamond, what are you gonna do when the balls hit to you? Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of Dodger injuries, Tommy Edmond is headed out to Oklahoma City to start his rehab assignment. He's going to get close to fifty plate appearances like keyk Hernandez did, because that's what players do during spring training. You get close to fifty plate appearances to get ready for the season. And Tommy Edmund is expected to play the majority of time in Oklahoma City at second base, with maybe a chance to play center field. But the Dodgers need him at second base. And I know Hayesan Kim coming into the game tonight was in a big spiral at the plate, but Dave Roberts said he's been satisfied with his defense, and he never made it seem like Kim was in the discussion to be sent down to Oklahoma City today when keyk a Hernandez was going to be activated, it was redundant to keep Santiago Espinal on the roster with keyk Hernandez. They have a backup third basement for monthsy Now they actually have two in Rojas and Key k Hernandez. So you're really not going to have Santiago Espinal on this roster and not give yourself a left handed hitting second basement in Hayesan Kim. Now would the Dodgers would love to see Kim start to hit more. It seems like ever since Alex Friedland was sent down, Kim has gone into a slump. But tonight was encouraging better at bats from Kim. So that was the thinking of why Espinal was the odd man out. Remember he made the opening day roster because Key a Hernandez was on the IL to start the year. Eight six six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight five to three. Let's go out to Thomas who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi Thomas, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 14: Hey, how you doing, David?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I just want to talk about Blake Snell and how concerned you are Blake Snell and his injury. I know he goes on the il sometimes around this time of the year, but Blake Snell, show Hey possibly getting a cy Young and Tarique scuball trades.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, let's start with Snell. Zillah.
Speaker 2: It was an ideal for him to have this procedure after making one start this year, but he obviously needed it. My understanding is his procedure took about an hour and a half longer than school balls, but the Dodgers and Snell are optimistic that he can come back in the next two months, so that's good news. Edwin Diaz, who did not have the same nano procedure on his left elbow as Blake Snell, is going to start throwing here in the next week or so. I know you didn't ask me about him. Otani has a very good chance of winning the cy Young if he qualifies for the r title at the end of the year, which is one hundred and sixty two innings. So if he qualifies for the er title Thomas, he has a very good shot of getting at least second place votes if not winning the cy Young. So if it keeps going that way, I would say he's the cy Young unless Christopher Sanchez goes on this tear and continues his consecutive scorelessening streak and Trek scouble. The most interesting thing I heard about Trek Scoobol rumors over the weekend was from Ken Rosenthal, who said the Brewers maybe in the market for Trek Schoobel similar to the way they were in the market for CC Sabathia, and he helped them get to the postseason that year. I believe it was seven six around that time, and what CC Sabathia did that year was incredible. He was pitching on three days rest in a pennant race to get the Brewers into the postseason when he was going to be a free agent and not signed back with Milwaukee. I don't see Schooball doing that kind of stuff, but if the Brewers, it sounds plausible. If the Brewers were the trade for schoobl that would be a that would be as good of a starting rotation as the Dodgers with Scooball, Mizowski and Kyle Harrison. So I can understand why Matt Arnold is interested in making that trade.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that'd be nasty for them.
Speaker 14: I think Dodgers have one of the best rotations in MLB, But if they were to get Turkey Scuballs, that would be I'd almost be like super tier, superstyh level.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't rule the Dodgers out either. The Brewers and the Dodgers have the prospects to get that type of deal done. Thanks for the phone call, Thomas, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Fontana. Matthew, you're on Dodger Talk with David Basse.
Speaker 3: I'm Matthew, Yo, David.
Speaker 15: How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Where are you at the Fontana Speedway, Matthew?
Speaker 15: A little baby else is at the fontast Seaways. You know the old sea wail.
Speaker 3: For sounds like it. What do you got, Matthew? What do you want to know?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 15: I know about Eric Lawer, you know, picking him up from Toronto Blue Jays, and especially when you're saying of a high ra of you know, over six, you know, at least with some concerns. You know, how well is the pitching? You know, how well is he able to handle, especially at the LA weather compared to Toronto.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be able to handle it pretty well. He was a Dodger killer. By the way.
Speaker 2: He has a career record against the Dodgers, pitching for the Padres and the Brewers primarily against them, seven and two with an ERA of two ninety, so he has a very good comfort level in the nl West. He had a very good year for the Brewers for the Blue Jays last year. Just seemed to be a little bit of a disconnect between him and the Blue Jays this season, so let's see. We'll all find out together tomorrow. And I had a chance to catch up with Dodger pitching coach Mark Pryor about Eric Lauer because Lower and Prior go back to Lower in his minor league days, with Prior being the minor league pitching coach minor league pitching coordinators, so they have a relationship already which should help the trust. And Lower is going to wear jersey number thirty three with the Dodgers. I know that because I watched him go out yesterday for a bullpen session, and after that was done, I caught up with Mark Pryor.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that goes. So yeah, one that was like ten years ago, you know. I mean, look, the main thing is him going on and competing on Tuesday, and that's what like the first line was, like your job is to compete, and so like as the course goes with like anybody, we will try to get to those things, you know, in appropriate time. You know, we want them to be focused on making pitches and attacking hitters, you know, kind of doing some things here that maybe hopefully we'll pay dividends on the first first start, but you know, it's probably a process. It's going to be more than you know, five six days.
Speaker 12: Do you feel like you have more trust with him than you would a new picture that you don't have that relationship with.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, it helps that out.
Speaker 8: We have a history together. You know, that definitely helps, you know, kind of bridge the gap and maybe speed some of the process up. But you know, like you know, we've said to other people it was like there's still like, you know, we haven't been involved in his you know, his pitching career since you know, I mean nobody here has I have for like, you know, a year and a half. So there's a lot of things that you know, you need to understand of like where's he been, what's he done once he tried, you know, where's he at in this current you know, process of his career. So that still is you know, like any picture that we get middle of the season or even in the off season, we still have to kind of identify those things because things that we might suggest he maybe he's already tried and didn't work, and so we're just trying to like go through the process and kind of check, you know, us do our normal process and then obviously make sure in the middle of the season that he's.
Speaker 1: Ready to continue to pitch games.
Speaker 8: So I definitely think the relationship helps from those kind conversations, but you still have to kind of go through some of your due diligence to make sure you're doing doing it the right way.
Speaker 12: You guys being more on mechanical stuff for like pitch usage, a little bit.
Speaker 8: Of both, you know, definitely, I think the usage and kind of just flushing out the arsenal and how he wants to use it, how he's been using it and to see, you know, how that plays going forward. I think those things are those adjustments are much more easier to make them kind of on the fly. The delivery stuff, you know, probably would be a little bit more of a slow play, but yeah, definitely trying to do both of those at the same time.
Speaker 12: That's what you guys have done, like just what pictures have said, is to focus on the pitches, the two or three pitches that you throw well, right, and they say, that's like what you guys do so well.
Speaker 8: I we appreciate that, you know. I mean, look, at the end of the day, we're just trying to help these guys go out there and you know, compete at their highest level, you know, or at least at the level that they're able to compete at, you know. Right now, you know, he's always a guy who's pitched off his fastball, and I think I don't think that's secret with with anybody, but he has the ability to move it around, his ability to like throw its all four quadrants and throw his cutter and mix speeds occasionally. But at the heart of it, it's it's about being able to locate his fastball and use it and then play off it as much as he needs to. And so I definitely think that we'll lean into that and we'll make the adjustments accordingly that you know, we feel like will help him.
Speaker 14: Beat the Rockies.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Mark Pryor, Dodgers pitching coach on the newest Dodger who will be making his Dodger debut tomorrow night against Kyle Freeland and the.
Speaker 3: Rockies, Eric Lower.
Speaker 2: And look, we'll all find out together how it looks tomorrow and what adjustments need to be made. And really the primary reason why the Dodgers acquired Lower is obviously they feel like he's capable to do what they need him to do tomorrow night against the Rockies and moving forward. Also, they want to maintain a six man rotation to accommodate their pitchers, namely Shohei Otani, Yamamoto, Roki Sasaki, mostly Otani and Roki Sasaki. And they don't want to put other guys like Emisian or Yamamoto at an injury risk without going with a six man rotation, because that's what the routine has been. And that's where you start to have a conversation about River Ryan. Because River Ryan has had two really good starts, he's starting to get stretched out. Dave Roberts indicated before they even consider calling River Ryan up for a spot start or a short term spot in the rotation. He's got to make one more and then after that there's a real possibility. River Ryan's in the conversation to be called up if necessary, But it's about not putting anybody else at injury risk just because glass Now and Snell are out right now. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day.
Speaker 3: For heart pounding action, new.
Speaker 2: Experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash Experiences.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota was on the call tonight filling in for Rick Monday, who is going to return tomorrow from Cooperstown. You work with Charlie Steiner and Tim Never tonight, Jose, So you're you're working extra innings on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Okay, why not catch up with you too, But you're the first broadcaster I talked to today Soday. Just finsh off on a nice belt here.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: The seven to nine hitters again tonight started that rally in the seventh inning. How much are those guys overlooked as far as what they mean to the Dodger offense, Well, yeah.
Speaker 10: A seven guy and that spot cal Will Smiths. A lot of teams will say what, but no. The one thing that I did mention before that ending is, you know, the Dodgers had so many opportunities up to that, and things from that capitalized and I was like, where's a walk? I mean the Dolliers walk day score, And that's exactly what happened. But to your point of the seven eight nine, they have been so big for this team throughout this season. You said, Antiasca down there and in the age of seven eight for rec Bobby Pies and just worked out so well. Regules for how Shorty was doing or Freddie was doing. These guys are a big part. You cannot overbook them because we talked about and you and I do this a lot, even off the microphone. Seven eight nine. You guys got to take care of those guys. If pitchers in your team, those guys canna hurt you. Where the Valuers have so much depth, so much talent, and the ability to have a variety of guys that can do so many things at the bottom that it's hard to stop them. So you cannot compare the dollars seven eight nine with anybody else, because I mean, you don't see guys sitting with that kind of credentials hitting about them of the other For the teams, will they make a change and turn it over to the line up on the top edge?
Speaker 3: Quite easy, Jose.
Speaker 2: In that seventh inning there was run us at first, sent third, one out Mookie bats who's been struggling since he came back off the il. Was there any thought in the back of your mind as you're watching him come to the plate that possibly a safety squeeze would be in order with a struggling hitter.
Speaker 10: Like that, Not at all, Not with Mooki. It's a play that you have to practice that enough with him to let him know way ahead of the time, Hey this might happen, be ready, But you can't do that to Muki even at this point. If anything, if Mookie comes to you and says, hey, I might be able to do this if you want me to, then different. But I don't think you want to mess with his head at this point where he is, and you know, as he mentioned, I mean limited at bats in spring training, limited at bats on rehab, going through real weak situation, which is one of those overlooked injuries. Sometimes it's affects so much of your swinging, your game, your your muscle twitch, your first step, everything, swinging the baseball, running for Woki, He's going to be fine. He's going to be just fine because Mooki knows how to make your destlins. Mooki warriors a lot. Mokei really carries on his shoulders U and the same time as a guy that you could just go out and let him play because he's gonna come through by someone of that.
Speaker 3: Until he does figure it out.
Speaker 2: In that first inning, you got a runner at second base, why not try to go the other way to be able to get him over to third base instead of trying to pull for power. Do you feel like he hasked to start doing those type of things hitting second and not clicking on all cylinders?
Speaker 3: Yet, I do.
Speaker 10: Believe in that, Dave. You know, there's times in which you cut You're so cut up in your own slump and the way you feel or the bad dragon I was talking about this in the broadcasts. Battle drops so much now that he's back to hitting a lot of lazy fly balls that, yeah, it's sometimes you simplify like it's not a manager coming to you said, hey, I know you're struggling, but I'm gonna try ahead.
Speaker 9: And run with you.
Speaker 10: And sometimes just clearing your mind to think something different and take your game off performing what they pay me for. Power gaps to say, simplicity, to see the ball track, the ball, hit the ground ball. It does help a whole lot. And that's this version that we know I you know, talked about it during the broadcast. Those are about team at bats and a lot of times you have to be better in pitch selection, even moving around the battles, which he has a whole lot of. But the picture knows what you're trying to do. He's not just going to serve your fastball away because but you've got to fight through it like we've seen other hitters do it. Kyle Tucker missing no opportunity to but you know it didn't hurt the value to there. But against tot pitching, you got to be able to those things where we got like we could come out of it. I think those things will lead you to a bigger things.
Speaker 2: So how impressed were you, miamed Sheen staying in the game in the fourth inning and not just staying in the game, but also pitching really well the rest of that fourth inning, the fifth, and the sixth.
Speaker 10: I applaud that. I mean, there's a lot of people that would have come out of that game worried.
Speaker 7: About nothing but themselves.
Speaker 9: I mean, he's a big, strong man.
Speaker 10: They've robbers talked about this a lot before last season. He built up pretty well and what I was looking at. Thankfully, the umpires also gave him a lot of consideration to the many throws that he got to make between just to make sure he's fine, and I'm thinking about extension. Can he extend? Is he holding back? You don't want to see recalling that, because that brings a lot of trouble. It's a little bit of command issues with his fastball and finishing the slider right after left for maybe ten or fifteen pictures. But man, he really found it really a plot of guy that really needed to get his team to the seventh inn. He allow the bullpen to do what they do, and for himself to know that he's had a few short outings in which he's let the team down. He said to me, And today it was another example. No matter if it's a rocky that his stuff got better, is again progressed. And one thing that will point out Dave I feel look at this velocity was he was noted Toney seven in the basketball, but slider was just the main pick for him and swings and missus and finish it down slider change up velocities very similar. So the rockets today was in a version of Emma Sheehan that a lot of teams haven't seen because the arm speeder was up, but we see slider going one way save a lasso with a change up that just makes it way more difficult to find out what the ball's gonna do. And well you're gonna barrow it although you're right hand and hitter or lesson to hit her. And I showed today in the sold the slings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a good night for imag Shean. Jose, thanks a lot for checking in. Great job on the broadcast tonight and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 9: On audios.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast pinch hitting tonight for Rick Monday, who will rejoin us tomorrow. He was out in Cooperstown at Baseball's Hall of Fame. They've got a great new exhibit of Rick Monday's fiftieth anniversary of saving the American Flag. The actual flag that he saved is in Cooperstown this summer, so if you're headed out there, check out that exhibit.
Speaker 3: It's ah.
Speaker 2: I saw some of the photos on the Baseball Hall of Fame's Instagram page and Rix and they did it justice. So it was a great weekend for Rick Monday and his family. Can't wait to Havhi back at Dodger Stadium tomorrow night. Don't forget tomorrow on a five to seventy LA Sports. Every hour, you're going to have a chance to win tickets to Friday Night's game, which is alex Vesia Bobblehead Night. So tune in tomorrow to Rogan and Rodney Petro, some money and Dodger Talk. After the game, you're going to have a chance to win tickets to the alex Vesia Bobblehead Night game on Friday Night. Every hour we're giving away tickets, so look forward to that alex Vesia. We had a great day out of Downy Hunday a few weeks ago. Everybody in Downy loved him. He felt the support and it was certainly a great day out there at Downey Hyunday, who's wrapping up their Memorial Day's sale. And I'm sure if you showed up tomorrow you said, hey, David Vasse said I could get the Memorial Days sale, they would hook you up. Don't worry about it. Here at Dodger Stadium tomorrow night. As we mentioned a few times, Eric Lawer's making his Dodger debut against Kyle freelan of the Rockies, who holds the record for the most starts made by a Rockies pitcher, over two hundred starts for Kyle Freeland. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven to ten with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. Thanks to calling me back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of our show or our pregame conversation with Keith Hernandez, who had two hits and an RBI tonight in his season debut. You know where to find it the iHeartRadio app coming up next Fox Sports Radio Ben Maller At the top of the hour, Hope you have a great rest of your Memorial Day, and thank you to all our service men and women and the people of course that sacrifice, that sacrifice the ultimate price their lives to defend our freedom. So let's not forget that on Memorial Day as well. Once again, the final score tonight the Dodgers beat the Rockies five to three. Have a great rest of your night, be safe, see you starting