Speaker 1: Here we go the white death. Imminutes, we're lathered up here at seven hundred wtible to scare the crap out of you about the winter storm that's coming here. When we get eight inches, where we get ten inches, where we get twelve inches, will we get more? We'll find out. Every January millions of adults take a hard look at their drinking habits, and so we have dry January, not drinking a drop. Well, so we have wet January two. Or maybe you're not drinking as much. But I think it's kind of quaint because this is a solution in search of a problem. Did you know that we are at a ninety year low, a ninety year low for the amount of alcohol consumed. It's driven by a whole host of factors, from alternatives to alcohol to the fact that it's not socially acceptable as much anymore, and you don't need to drink to socialize, and that probably has to do with digital media, social media like and the fact that many people don't find it affordable. Julian Braithwaite is here. He's the CEO of the International Alliance Responsible Drinking, which is a group that is largely funded by the alcohol producers of trying and tasty to drink. Julian, good morning, How.
Speaker 2: Are you, Good morning, Scott, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, sir. The alcohol industry is facing an existential crisis right now. Uh, fifty four percent of Americans now drink alcohol. That is the lowest rate in ninety years and down from sixty two percent as late is just a couple of years ago. How do you explain that trendshift.
Speaker 2: So we're in the middle of dry January right now, and everyone's talking about this, and you know, dry January is of you know, it's a good moment because it's the moment where people pause and reflect and think about their relationship with alcohol, which can be a good thing. But I think you know, the point here is that the science and the sciance says it for decades, which is that drinking and moderation throughout the year is going to be a better and more sustainable way of managing relationship with alcohol than just any one one month's reset. So in terms of in terms of what the science says, the science hasn't changed on them.
Speaker 1: Is there a threat to the alcohol industry? I mean, here in Ohio, we just went through a phase here THHD and fused beverages. The governor said, no, knaba Anad struck that down, so we're gonna have to get rid of that. But clearly there's demand from those I talked to in the local brewing scene and distillers, you know, in Kentucky and elsewhere, they're seeing a huge shift and people are enjoying the THHD and fuse beverages more so. Now I don't know if that adds and if that moves a needle ale relative to dry January or what januaries the case may be, but there are alternatives out there to traditional alcohol that people are finding. That's also part of the issue.
Speaker 2: So there's been the happy changes in drinking pastes. I think you're are seeing people drinking more intentionally and more moderately, and of course that's a good thing. The other thing you're seeing and there's seen innovation in the industry and in the alcohol producers as well in producing no and low alcohol products, and these are some of these are proving to be very popular. And one of the things we have been seeing, for example, is gen Z being much more intentional about how they drink, being much more focused on the occasion, and also adopting these new know and low alcohol products as part of a sort of a balance. Really this thing called zebra striping, although I think in the States you call it libra striping. Where people and particularly young people are doing this is they're alternating going out for beer and then having maybe no alcohol beer afterwards, so they can sort of stay in the social occasion and participate for longer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think too, the quality of those products and also the variety has gotten a lot greater as well used to be and oduels was the only option we had. Was like, it doesn't really taste all good, and now you know you have pro Guinness is that it's a a I tried one of those Guinness zeros and they're absolutely amazing, and it's harder to tell between the alcohol product in that one. And so as you get better and creating these formulas, that also becomes makes makes the traditional alcohol buzz so to speak, less relevant.
Speaker 2: So I think that's right. I think the industry is adapting. It's adapting to people being more intentional to one is to drink in moderation more. I mean in terms of the same in terms of science, that's a good thing because you know, binge and bust was never a great way to handle a relationship with alcohol. But drinking intentionally moderately throughout the year, what the science shows is a people and this is decades of research that shows this. But people who drink moderately throughout the year live at least as long as people who don't drink at all. So more moderate drinking, more intentional drinking. This is a good thing as far as the industry is concerned. Responding to that and providing new products that give people the freedom to choose to choose how they drink and how they drink moderately. That is a great response to the way in which consumers are changing their relationship with alcohol and is part of a good positive trend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Julie, you represent the industry and beer, wine and spirits. But inside those numbers, over half of Americans believe that now even moderate drinking is harmful. So the old edge about well, yeah, have a glass of wine or sherry or whatever it is a night, it's good for you. And now a majority of America's a growing number, especially younger ones in gen Z are believing that even a little bit alcohol is not good for you, and that studies show any alcohol level, there's some health rests there as we know. Is that an existential threat to the industry.
Speaker 2: So, I mean it's interesting, isn't that. I think the narrative is changing fast from the science, right, So there'll be these one off scientific studies which grab attention. But I think, you know what's important. One of the things that I'm here to say today is that actually the underlying science, the underlying evidence, hasn't changed, and that those decades of research so that actually, if you do drink in moderation, you will live at least as long as people who don't drink at all. So there is a sort of a disconnected bit with the people's burn about it and what the underlying science says about it. And I think it's really important that people get informed so that they have that they can make up their own minds about this. Talking to a doctor is important. But we also have information on our website www. Dot I r I A r d dot org which provide summaris of the evidence of the information on the stand so people go look at it, make up their own mind and have the freedom to choose how they will how they will drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think also the obviously the big driver this is the youngest the gen Z problem. You have an entire generation that seemingly is at this point anyway just not interested in drinking, and it's about health, and they simply say, we're just not interested. And they're finding their social connections and stress relief and entertainment largely digitally. So you know, you needed to drink if you're on social media in your interacting socially there, alcohol is not a component of there. So from a from a future standpoint, how do you market to a demographic that the fundamentally doesn't need or want what you're selling.
Speaker 2: So I can see why you'd ask that question. Yeah, but you know, the truth about out gen Z and their drinking patterns is, you know, there's it's complex, and you know, is it the cost of living crisis? How much was it the pandemic? How much is it a long term trend? I mean, these are all things that are playing out, but you know, yes, it's uh, you know, it is certainly the case that that there's a there's a market for more intentional drinking, for more choice, and the industry is responding to that, which I think is a good. You know, it's it's a it's a good development, particularly when it comes to the development of these new innovative products around them and.
Speaker 1: Load Yeah yeah, marktails. As we mentioned, CBD infused drinks is just other other products out there. I think that's also driving It's not like people aren't socializing, it's just their choosing not to do it with uh, with alcohol. Is that the way the industry is headed? Is it going to be essentially going to be at some point CBD infused or THHG infused drinks and we're going to see more of that than traditionally brewed or distilled spirits.
Speaker 2: So you know, at IR among my members and the companies who are members of i ARD, you know, they don't do those types of products. They are innovating in other areas, know and low alcohol. But I mean, we'll see what the long term trends really show on all this, because you know, there is you know, there's two risks with the sort of dry January type of response. You know, one is that actually, you know, a one month weset is not as good as long term drinking patterns and a focus on moderations throughout the year. But the other one and you've talked a bit about it just now, which is around isolation. And you know, if people still they can't go out and have a drink, they can't meet up with their friends. You know, that could have an impact on isolation loonness, and we know that is a growing problem, including amongst young people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think here in the States anyway, Julian, we're seeing the municipalities and states that and I've always had you know, vice taxes here, alcohol tax and like as revenue sources. But if we see fewer people drink, and I think Cincinnati just we just propose a tax increase in this realm as well. But you know, public health advocates one higher alcohol Act is reduced consumption and fun treatment. You mentioned in the open that younger people seem as it's an expense that they don't want to take because you know, regular drinking costs a lot of money, and so they're going to put that money elsewhere when they're pinching pennies. So in that context, are we going to see these programs that are funded by syntax is particularly alcohol that it starts going to start to affect you know, local budgets and county budgets and the like. I would think that would be true.
Speaker 2: So right, I mean, you know, the the issue here, of course, is that that you know, it's about drinking moderately, and the science is on the side of moderation. So when you're thinking about the public health response, it's how do you get people to drink in moderation? Right, getting people to stop drinking overall, you know, whatever the economic consequences of that or physical consequences of that in terms of what the science says. Actually, the sciance supports moderation. It's not supporting just stopping everyone drinking in terms of managing people's relationship with alcohol. So that's the important thing, perhaps for your listeners take away, is that the science is on the side of moderation, right.
Speaker 1: Julian, Let's fast forward twenty years. I don't know if I'll be here or not. You probably will be. But if the current trend continues and gen Z is now in their forties, let's say, and they're drinking less and than jen Elfha, I guess it would be behind them and they follow a similar path. All these alternatives keep growing. Did what things look like I don't know. In twenty thirty, twenty forty five, twenty fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, the famous British economist once said, in the long run, we're all dead. So I think it's Prepolating twenty years into the future is always a slightly dicey thing to do, right. I mean, look, alcohol's been around for eight thousand years and I'm pretty confident it'll be around in thirty years time. How this plays out, how the longer term trends play out in terms of the coffered living crisis, in terms of the pandemic effect, will see how that that plays out. But you know, alcohol's been around for hundreds of generations and I'm pretty confident that, you know, hundreds of generations in the future will be having this discussion about how they can have a sensible relationship with alcohol. And I think moderation will still be the answer, right.
Speaker 1: And I think it may just get more boutique, you know, usually that's the thing. It's it's more upscale, it's a certain client tell that's a possibility. And you know you're still going to be able to get your six pack at a carry out.
Speaker 2: I think that'll be that will always be true. So you know, these trends come and go. What will remain true is the science and the importance of sensible relationship with alcohol based on moderation rather than binge.
Speaker 1: And bump right right, And of course we're in dry January right now, as you mentioned as well, and it feels like, well that's we're pretty much in dry January through December. It kind of feels that way right now at least we're headed that way. But trends do reverse and for whatever reason, we're in this trend now, for multiple reasons, we're in this trend now where people are just drinking. Last Julian Breadthwait is the CEO the International Alliance of Responsible Drinking. Thanks again for the time, all the best, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Thank you very much for having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take care. Yes, an interesting thing because you know, we live here in Bourbon Country. We also have a number of prominent microbreweries and distillers. We have wineries and the like, and a lot of the tax income and syntaxes UH fund a lot of our adaliances in the public sector. If that starts to diminish and go away, what then you know, you're gonna have to find other things to take kind of like you know, with the advent of hybrids and electric vehicles, you're driving more miles and not paying the gas tax, and so now we're going to tax you when you buy a vehicle one of those evs, because you know, you're driving on the same roads and causing same amount of damage any other gasoline powered vehicle would do a diesel powered vehicle. And you know, for a while you weren't paying quote unquote your fair share, and so now it's come into a uh, you know, registration tax or something like that. Municipalities are going to have to look at that if this trend does continue. And it's pretty well no pun intended here, no dad joke, sobering when you look at the numbers of just how fewer people are drinking, and I bring it's up to in the context of what Mike Dwaine was doing, and you know, killing the whole CBD thing, and that is just I'm sorry, that's completely backwards thinking. People are leaning into that stuff more as an alternative to drinking alcohol, and you know, again just making it black market. You're just creating a black market for us what you're going to do. We're seeing historic lows when it comes to drinking. As I mentioned Gallops polling. This is a ninety year low. We haven't seen levels like this since the late nineteen thirties, you know, coming out of prohibition for example. And the data, the generational shift and can sect the sharp declines and everything are just absolutely game changing because the numbers are dropping as far as people consuming alcohol by double digits almost year over year. And you know, you have the alternatives in there, you have the non alcohol alternatives, the mocktails that taste pretty good, and so you get the social feel without actually having to consume alcohol. Because they're a huge health conscious movement in this country right now, and that even moderate drinking, even that you know, daily glass of wine that grandma would have that's looked at, is not good for you. And of course we have the biggest issue in America right now, and that is the affordability crisis. You know, twenty percent, two out of ten people now say they can no longer afford to drink like they used to. I mean, when you start going looking at going, ah, paying my rent, paying my mortgage, car payment, whatever it is, and like I don't have the money anymore, I'm gonna have to stop drinking. That is a huge crisis in this country, regardless of what politicians will tell you about how everything's fine. That that is that should be frighting in and of itself. So dry january's here, although it feels like it's going to lead into dry February. Anyway, it might be more tempting to break the dried January spell this weekend because he got nothing embedded to do. You a bottle and a foot of snow outside. That's the big story course around the Cincinnati. It looks like it's almost a lock at this point point that we're going to get these six I'm sorry, eight to ten inch range, depending where you are, eight inches closer to the river, and then eleven I saw up near Middletown. Now that could change by Sunday, different story. If it moves more to sleep, the accumulation will be less.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then if the sleet doesn't hang around, the warm air doesn't come up top, we're gonna get wind up getting more snow. You could see maybe a foot of snow or more in some areas. Again, we'll find out together on Sunday morning. How about that. But of course, you know we've got all the weather emergencies out there. Right now. I'm sure that Kroger and Walmart and Meyer and Aldi are insane. I drove past my Costco yesterday and it's interesting. It did look too. I mean, it was crowded more than average. But the most crowded thing at the Costco was the line for gas was out, like snaking through the parking lot, like like it was the I don't know, a nineteen seventies energy crisis or something like, Wow, everyone's getting their gasoline. And so yeah, and there may everybody slim pickens if you go to the grocery stor today, just saying I swung by our story yesterday and yeah, there was not as much inventory as usual. So we are prepared, right, get some food, cook some food, watch some show. Hey we got football this weekend and stuff. Man, what's not to love about that? Speaking of stuff to watch, since you're not gonna be out, Will Gans from Maybec coming up next to the show to talk about what to watch streaming wise this weekend. If you're all caught up maybe of the cold winter, and you're looking for something new, he's got ideas for you. That's right after news and of course the traffic and the weather first and foremost the very latest on the way here Scott Sloan with the White Death coming down? Will we get eight? Will we get ten? Will we get twelve? Will we have two? Three, five feet or more? We'll find out together here seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Now a man who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his veins, which makes him a medical entity.
Speaker 3: He is the ABC Will Gans from New York.
Speaker 1: Man, if there's any weekend you're gonna sit your thicken ask down and start watching shows and stream and stream and stream. This is the weekend right here. This is the weekend Will Gans from ABC in New York, here to talk about everything small screen lay because let's face it, no one's going to the theaters this weekend, are they?
Speaker 3: No? I don't think anyone's going anywhere this weekend.
Speaker 4: You you said it exactly correctly in that intro there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna sit on the I mean we've got football on, not that you talk about AFCNF championships, that's big, but if there's stuff you wan't watch.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 1: By the way, how much snow are you getting in New York? We're here in Cincinnati. Let me give you the forecast because I know you care about this crap. Well, uh so, here in Cincinnati we are going to it's gonna start snowing right now where the temperatures dropping. So it's going to be four tonight and the windshill's gonna be in the in the teens and then tomorrow it's gonna be as cold, if not colder, and then the snow starts up. The white Death comes in starting about ten am, give or take, it starts snowing all day long. By the time you wake up Sunday, we've got at least eight inches in most areas on the ground, if not more. And then it depends if we get the sleet, which means an upper atmosphere warmth causes a sleate, as you know because you're a climate terist yourself, the warmth causes that, then we get sleep means less snow. But if we don't get the sleep, we could be looking at fifteen inches of snow. So somewhere in the eight to twelve range is what the forecast is, depending if you're north or south of Cincinnati. What about New York City?
Speaker 4: We are I think in the six to twelve range, but exactly were it depends on that rain sleet line also, so I think we're going to get like about six and then depending on what happens Sunday afternoon for us, is will it turn into rain sleet or will it continue to pile up?
Speaker 1: How's that work for you, guys? Because no one everyone eats out in New York. You know, some people do stay in and cook, but large you just go out and grab a slice whatever it might be. How does that work? Restaurants everything open?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it depends on how bad it ends up being. But yeah, for the most part, it's like business as usual. You know, you can you could go pick up a slice or or you know, order, and I do feel bad for the delivery guy.
Speaker 3: Both of us don't have to do much.
Speaker 4: And then you know they're, you know, out there on their bicycles in I guess, six to twelve inches of snow trying to get me my pizza before it cools off.
Speaker 1: How the hell are you riding a bicycle or a motorcycle on that weather.
Speaker 3: That's I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, why you wasted your time talking about this now? And those are the stories people care about. How's some guy delivering Chinese at three o'clock in the morning, getting around on a shwin. That's to be that will be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's the documentary that I'll.
Speaker 3: Be making and telling you about the Friday morning.
Speaker 1: I watch that. I do watch it. All right, let's jump in, will gans and what are we talking? What are you looking at this weekend?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So a couple of series that I want to tell you about, the first of which is called Ponies, and that stands for persons of no interest as opposed to like a person of interest, you know, for the I or CIA or whatever.
Speaker 1: I work with a few of those they had this punk.
Speaker 4: So in this case, it is two wives of you know, US agents during the Cold War, and and when their husbands are killed, they decide that they sort of want to join the cause and go undercover and help fight the KGB during the Cold War. And it is Amelia Clark who was in Game of Thrones she played Kalisi, and then Haylee lou Richardson, who played Jennifer Coolidge's assistant last season of The White Loaders. Yeah, and they, yeah, they are amazing in this thing. So it is like a spy thriller series set in Cold War era, you know, Russia, and all eight episodes are streaming now on Peacock. It has ninety six percent on Rotten Tomatoes. They're already talking about a season two. So if you are saying in this weekend, you know you can you can watch the whole thing in one weekend.
Speaker 3: And it's a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: All right. It's so it's a spy thriller, but it's it's fun in a spy sensor. Is there is there like a comedy streak to this? How's it play in.
Speaker 3: A spy sense?
Speaker 4: So it's like gripping, it's you know, if you like like the James Bond genre, it's like that.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, gotcha? So that is you said, that's on.
Speaker 5: Peacock, okay, all right, and then on Hulu and Disney Plus.
Speaker 4: The Beauty is the new series from Ryan Murphy. So Ryan Murphy of course is the producer of like American Horror Story and Grotesque Grey, so this is in a similar vein as those other Ryan Murphy series. So it's it's a little gross, it's a little you know, eerie, but it is pretty gripping as well. So the plot of this is that there are supermodels that are dying these really really growth and violent depths like all over the world, and a couple of FBI agents are assigned to uncover what's happening to them. And basically what they find out is that there is a injectable that they're taking to make themselves, you know, beautiful, but it starts to rot their bodies from the inside out. And that is it's sort of like that movie last year, The Substance with to me more so, it's it's like that, but this is a TV series and the first three episodes are.
Speaker 3: Streaming now on Hulu and Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: All right, so it's it's the rotting corpses of supermodels is the promise of the thing, and you know they're still hot too, even in the later stages of decay. You're like, yeah, i'd still I know, a cup with her.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess you know, there's an audience, you know, for this thing too, So if that's your thing, yes, then this would be one hundred show for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, flush is falling off.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, at the end of the day, I was with it a supermodel and maybe after a snatch, but still, I mean, it still counts.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Once you're a supermodel, you always a supermodel.
Speaker 4: It's like the title doesn't go away. Yeah, the title doesn't leave you just because your arm fell off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, and get a bottle of Crown Royal and a hot tub, some pringles. Let's go all right? What else is on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so on the other end of the spectrum from that, you know, I recommend a spy so thriller. I recommend a body horror series. I figure I might go to the other end of the spectrum. There's a musical. It's called Merrily We Roll Along, And this was on Broadway and won the Tony for Best Revival. Jonathan Groff one Best Actor and Daniel Radcliffe, who of course was Harry Potter, won Best Supporting Actor for this. And they filmed it for the big screen, so it is a stage musical, but they filmed it for the movie theater and it's now streaming on Prime video. So it is about three friends. One of them is super super successful, and it tells the story of their friendship in reverse. It starts in nineteen seventy seven and then ends in nineteen fifty seven. So for anyone you know, We've talked about it before. But what I love about this is like for people who don't get to come to New York and see these big Broadway.
Speaker 3: Shows, this is.
Speaker 1: Uh, oh, you're right.
Speaker 3: It wanted to Oh.
Speaker 1: You're dropping off there for a second, gotcha? I thought the snow gotch. I thought the snow gotcha for second.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's one of those bicycle.
Speaker 1: Guys delivery on the bike you couldn't break. You had the just skin it right in the will and killed him. And then he found a hot tab with a decaying supermodel. It's incredible. And then when he was done, it actually looked like a giant bowl of egg drop soup with all the skin and everything.
Speaker 3: You exactly exactly. But if you want to watch.
Speaker 4: That musical, it's streaming now. It's merely We Roll Along, and it's on Prime Video.
Speaker 1: Okay, merrily we roll along, and it's a music. If you're in for a musical this weekend, does it seem like a musical kind of weekend with all the snow, will listen.
Speaker 4: If you're going to be on your couch for two days straight, there's time for a musical.
Speaker 1: You've seen everything at this point is what you're going.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Well stay safe, my friend, and you may want to order ahead of time. You know you can get that Chinese and put it in the fridge for later. Yeah, it heats up nicely. All right, brother, appreciate you. Thanks, have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: You all right?
Speaker 1: Will has a New York City problems. We don't know those problems in Cincinnati when I have to worry about guys on bikes delivering takeout, although I guess we have DoorDash. You're a doordasher this weekend. It's gonna suck. You're gonna make bank. But you better have a big truck because typically you get door dash uber eats. Somebody's driving like a smart car. It's always like a little tiny car. No one ever rolls up in Escalade delivering that kind of food. So if you are, you can make some serious money this weekend. We've got the winter storms on the way. Of course, we'll keeping you updated all day long here on your official weather station seven hundred WW. I don't know if we're actually an official weather station, but everyone says they are. We just take our We just get our weather from Channel nine and catch Mark's going to be here in a few minutes actually around ten oh seven with a live update on what to expect at this point. As this line, the line of model shows we're going to get in the upwards, man, it's looking like eight, and then as you get closer to the Middletown eleven and that is by Sunday morning, and then after that it's kind of hard to tell simply because we're talking about that's what was mentioned it too that line and if if it's the warm air above us that we get, depending on how far you know that warm air comes in, we could see more sleet unscented, which means less accumulation. But now you've got ice pellets on top of the soft, fluffy snow, and I think maybe that makes things more treacherouscause a little bit more icy. However, if we don't get that, then that's a whole different ball game. So we'll talk to Jennifer Catchmark about that coming up. She'll break it all down for it, depending where you live and what you need to know at the very latest, and she's gonna pop in, or at least someone from nine is gonna be popping in. I think all day long here. I know Willie's gonna have someone on and of course at Eddie and Rock. And we'll keep you updated this weekend too because we're live. We are live all weekend long as well, so we'll get you to make sure you get through the storm and all that stuff too. So traffic, weather, all that. On the way Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred W Yeah, great, slowly here, seven hundred WLW News on the way to a few minutes ten oh seven. Jennifer Ketchmark live from the nine First Warning whether bunker, she's deep in the bunker, she's got parka, she's got pizzas, she's ready to rock and roll, ready to go. We'll talk to her about what you expect with the latest model shows where we know we're gonna get hit. We know it's gonna be more than six inches at this point, God help them if it's less than six inches with all the hype, brav, I mean, it looks pretty bad in all seriousness. You know, typically we kind of chuckle and laugh at the White Death coming in. But HALLI man, you get more than six inches, you're talking eight to twelve or more. That is some serious, serious snow here in the tristdayd area with the hills and everything else, and you know, the Metro area is one thing with the snow. Snow removal issues we've had in the past. We'll find out if those operations are up and working for sure, because last one was a dry run. This is for real now with and fortunately, I guess the good news is it's happening on a weekend. That's not true for all of the country, but here in the Try State for sure, so that does help tremendously, and that most people can just stay home and I feel like they have to be out there or would be out there for work or anything along those lines. But we'll get to that in a little bit here on the big one, seven hundred. W let me keep you update not just during my show as I did this morning of the Tom Bredman Show, but Willie is going to have more, and of course Eddie and Rocky there's probably going to even overshadow SPORTSNY with Lance and so even more. We'll keep you updated through the weekend because they're live and local that way. So uh, if you have to be out and about or maybe a power shoot, power out or something like that, I will say make sure and I did this myself because you know, normally our power doesn't go. Although we have a newer house, so I don't know what the situations and entirely haven't been there a year yet to see what the electric cycle is. But you know, if you lose power, you know, make sure you've got those chargeable batteries if you don't have already. I got a couple power packs like you use when you travel. Just make sure those are topped off. Most people don't think of that, like, oh, yeah, you know, what, how am I going to charge my phone? Well, if you have a couple of battery packs around, you can do that, just you know, in case of emergencies, be ready to go. You never know, you know, and worst thing is you plug it in and forget about it. Who cares? Actually have one in our basement that I leave plugged in all the time, just in case, and you know, it always tops off and if you need it for something, you are ready to go. Just a little piece of advice there, Just a little piece of advice. But of course the rest of the country not as lucky, I guess, because there's areas where they're literally don't have snowplows areas of Oklahoma and Texas, et cetera, that are going to hit with a foot of snow and no way to move it, so they're going to be in crisis for a long time to come. Monday out to be interesting in the as the storm blows through and we look at it and in review. You know, some of us are old enough to remember the blizzard of seventy eight, seventy seven, et cetera. There's one in the one in the nineties, for example, another one, and you've better row we see some of this stuff as well. But you know, there's something like one hundred and eighty million people, almost two hundred million people under this umbrella of winter alerts at the very least a watch, but most of us under a warning at least here out there winderstorm. I' about a hundred I think a little over one hundred million people under a winter storm watch, the rest under a warning. And that cold is stretching all the way from Denver from the Rockies all the way out to the East coast as well, and through Saint Louis through Louisville up to Cincinnati, up through Cleveland and Buffalo to Boston. That looks like to be the worst impact of the storm as well, So it's gonna be a good weekend to just stay in and watch it snow outside and kind of follow how things are going on. If you haven't been in the store, you may want to get there sooner, read it later. I can't imagine you're gonna have. You're gonna have some Wilton lettuce will be the if you're thinking, I'll stop by this afternoon unless you get up super early tomorrow when they restock overnight. But there's still a chance to make sure you got your stuff. I don't have to tell you that you're a grown adult for crime out loud. Believe it or not. This is the home of the Reds. It's not feeling very baseball like, but believe it or not, in just a couple of short months, we'll be here for sure. We got you covered. Scott Sloan, Jennifer Catchmark from the nine first Warning Weather Center and actually break it all down what to expect afternoons on seven hundred WW since it's the Scott Forms Show on seven hundred WLW. Here it comes, Baby, Here it comes. We are about to get snowmaged and the white death of descending on the Try State. Everyone's in crisis right now. Everyone is losing their every loving minds. We've got people coming into the newsroom. We've got people with sleeping bags and cots. They're bringing emergency food rations, they've got medicine. We've got helicopters on the roof. We are ready for a crisis of epic proportions this weekend as a white death descends on Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Let me jump right over to Jennifer Ketchmark over at WCPO nine First Warning Weather Center. She's in the weather bunker. It's not the center, it's the bunker right now where I'm looking at the radar and under the first I in Cincinnati, you're getting forty five feet of snow. Under the last T in Cincinnati, you're getting seventy five feet of snow. Jennifer, good morning. How are you good?
Speaker 6: You know, just talking about snow a lot.
Speaker 1: How much snow are you talking about here?
Speaker 5: I think six or sorry, eight to ten is probably a good range.
Speaker 6: For most locations.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 5: We could, though, in our northern spot see a couple of folks even sitting up to a foot.
Speaker 1: Because I was watching ABC, and they were saying, we're getting like four five seven eight feet?
Speaker 6: Yeah, four or five seven eight feet?
Speaker 3: That's not right?
Speaker 6: Loads of bread too, ye six seven.
Speaker 1: You have young kids. I don't have to tell you about stuff, right, yes, right, all right? So we've got And by the way, I will point out that I don't know if you heard this, but here's Governor Andy Basher in his press conference earlier today. I don't know if this is here. Listen, I need you to get prepared.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Run.
Speaker 1: He's telling people to run in Kentucky. I don't know if that's right. No, no, just run.
Speaker 2: Run.
Speaker 1: It's going to be bad in Kentucky.
Speaker 7: Run.
Speaker 1: Tamayaser has declared. I don't know if that is an official state of emergency, but I've never heard him all the things he's talked about when it comes to the emergency governor. You live, but you're in Kentucky. The emergency governor, of course. Uh, he's telling people to run. What do you suggest?
Speaker 6: What an appropriate clip there?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: My suggestion is today you should make your way to the grocery stores and get the supplies you need.
Speaker 6: Not for armageddon. You only need enough.
Speaker 5: Food to get you through the weekend, maybe Monday of next week. If it's your typical grocery load, you know, like if you're running out, you do not need to clear the shelves. Also, double check your car today. Make sure you've got windshel wiper solution in the reserve. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. If you if you have to drive, especially on Sunday, make sure you've got that emergency kit in your car. Things like, you know, some blankets, you have some foods and water on standby.
Speaker 6: Not booze. You just need the water.
Speaker 5: And just know that if you don't have to go on the roads this weekend, cancel your plans and stay home.
Speaker 1: I think I'm making Margarita's this weekend. Margarita sound good, It sound good, Right, I'm gonna throw some sand on the living room floor and brik Margarita. Pretend to man, let's do it. Pretend buffets coming to town or something like that. I don't know. All right, So it's gonna start tomorrow. Today's pretty dry, but I walked out this morning was pretty cold, and I know it's gonna get cold.
Speaker 6: Right, Oh wait till tonight. We're gonna drop down to four degrees. Well, it'll feel like fifteen below tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: We actually have a cold weather advisory because of that. But then the snow will start up early in the afternoon on Saturdays, So between noon and three the snow will get here, and by six o'clock we should probably already have like an inch maybe two inches of snow out there starting to coat everything, So the roads will not be impassable on Saturday. But the later it gets, the worse it gets. Lights Our moderate snow will fall for the rest of Saturday evening all Saturday night, and like even waking up Sunday morning, we're probably looking at four to seven inches of snow on the ground even at that point, and we still have to get through Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so overnight it's going to kind of start off slow and then get steadier, and then when you wake up you feel it'll be the blanket of snow.
Speaker 5: Yes, you'll wake up Sunday morning to a lot of snow out there, and then more snow will fall on Sunday. The big thing in the forecast that we're still watching really closely and having to make some adjustments for is this is a southern system, so some war mayor in the middle middle level of the atmosphere is trying to nose our way, and what that does sometimes is create sleet, that infamous switch over to sleet and freezing rain that then eats away at our snowfall numbers. That is a possibility on Sunday, but I will say this, We'll already have four to seven inches of snow on the ground, so then the sleet will fall on top of it.
Speaker 6: It'll kind of like compact our snow a little bit.
Speaker 5: It'll make it come down a little bit, but there will be some new kind of ice pellets coming out of the sky.
Speaker 6: We could also see a little bit.
Speaker 5: Of freezing rain Sunday midday and into the early afternoon, like all the way out to like Maysville or Adams County. It would not be an area wide thing, but like once it's all done late Sunday evening wrapping up, wean eight to ten inches of snow, maybe a little bit of a sleep there in the sleep layer in the middle of it. In some locations everything is not The roads are going to be covered, some will be impossible. People should just stay off the roads. Snow emergencies will be in effect. So that's why today, calmly walk into your grocery stores. Be kind to the workers that work there and the people that are in line.
Speaker 6: Please just use patients. I was talking to a friend.
Speaker 5: He was a line up meyer yesterday for twenty five minutes before he even got to the front where he could check out.
Speaker 1: I was there yesterday. I don't know. I was early, was early afternoon. I forget and it was already picked over. So I don't know what's going to be left in the store today if you go.
Speaker 6: The good news is I know people that run bread routes.
Speaker 5: They deliver daily, so your store's probably got restocked last night with bread. They go in at like two o'clock in the morning and restock the shelves. So they are working actively to try and restock those shelves as much as they can. Just if your family typically only uses a loaf of bread a week, don't buy three.
Speaker 6: Don't do that. Somebody else needs that loaf. Don't overbuy.
Speaker 1: God say this is America. You know what I'm doing to John, I'm gonna go after show. I'm buying all the bread, all the batteries, all the milk, all the bottle water, all the ply wood. I'm buying all this stuff, and I'm gonna sell it. The dumb asses like Bill Cunningham who wait for the last minute. I'm gonna sell them a pork chap for four hundred and fifty dollars. What about that. It's America, damn it. I'm gonna make some money. I'm gonna gouge. I'm gonna gouge him.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: Encourage you to express kindness in your hand with that guy.
Speaker 1: You dumb enough to wait that long, I'm gonna gouge you. This is America. I thank God bless America. I'm a great American. I'm a price gouger. I'm a great American.
Speaker 6: Are you auditioning for Bill cunning.
Speaker 1: You to put the cheese on the cracker? Jennifer Catchmark over at WCPO nine First Warning Weather Center with slowly this morning, seven hundred WLW. The big stuff's gonna start tomorrow after. Here's the other thing too. Do you really need all that? It's really only gonna be bad for forty eight hours, maybe seventy two Monday. We maybe dig it out a little bit more insight. Can you survive? Most people have eight days worth of food in the house. Now, granted it's probably the leftover a long expired salsa. Maybe you've got I don't know, some soy sauce and Chinese carry out, right, but yeah, you've got enough to make it. It's not like people, Listen, you don't need to buy all this stuff for crying out louds.
Speaker 6: You do not need the seventy two count roll of toilet paper. It'll be fine.
Speaker 1: No Costco is a zoo. It's a zoo above all this other you said. You said the sleet models and all seriousness on Sunday. What's the reliability on that, because I know that is the that's the outlier. By Sunday, you're still not quite sure. It sounds like, Jennifer, whether or not we're gonna see sleaders. Now, if the sleet holes off, if we don't get that warm air of nose, which is the upper atmosphere warm, we will get more snow then, right instead of oh yes, if.
Speaker 5: We don't switch over to sleet, our snowfall numbers will hit fifteen.
Speaker 6: So like it's we kind of what we kind of what sleeve? It would be great?
Speaker 1: Well, don't bury the lead. Let's talk about it. If we if that if they don't have a nose, if there's no nose, if it's no nose, then we're all gonna die. We're gonna drown in snow. Let's scare now, stop asks, work people up and revenue.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: No, people already think that I'm fear mongery and I hated. They're like, you're the reason why the scores are picked over.
Speaker 6: Exactly, I am not the reason.
Speaker 5: Just telling you what the what the forecast is. People's reactions are beyond my control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is great because I put the words in your mouth and then Monday, I'll rip you for scaring people in the gun.
Speaker 6: I will never answer your phone.
Speaker 1: U and L.
Speaker 6: Cunningham were on my chopping.
Speaker 1: Oh man, she's making she's making budget cuts. First quarter. Here we go, Jennifer cash Mark over at nine. I know you got going. But the rest of the country, this is like two hundred million people are in line to get a rock here. I saw a story today. I think it was Oklahoma. They're expecting the foot of snow. They don't have any plows in Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: They have like one and they name it Dolly, like somewhere Dorothy. You know, something dumb like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they use it to move like cow dung or something.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 5: A tree comes down, they're like, hey, go get the plow. It'll move this faster than the backbone that's at another tree. Yeah, no, it's they don't have the infrastructure. Northern Arkansas is gonna get slammed by this going into you know, Kansas City is about to get slammed with a lot of stuff that they are a little more.
Speaker 6: Used to it.
Speaker 5: But I mean this system impacting two thousand miles of real estate.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of snow. So well, we'll find out what happens here. We'll talk about armageddon on Monday. If we can survive. At God, what do you so? What is a meteor else like yourself? I'm sorry, a climate terrorist like yourself. Because you're scaring everybody right now, What do you do this weekend? You just hunker. You're gonna be in now. They're gonna be working all weekend, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm working Sunday, so I'll come to town Friday after or Saturday afternoon, get into a hotel so I don't have to deal with the people that can't drive on intertace.
Speaker 6: I will set a curse word on the radio.
Speaker 1: Do it all the time. It's fine, No one's listening, You're fine.
Speaker 5: No, But I'm going to come in Saturday evening. Uh, hang out the hotel. Be here Sunday morning. We're broadcasting live. We're doing cut ins every hour on Sunday, just if folks know what's going on. We are not going to do the alarmist thing. We're just gonna realistically show you what is happening, what is still left. We're going to talk about the reality. And then on Monday morning I'll be here as well. So it's probably two nights here downtown.
Speaker 6: Whatever.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, company paying for super Bowl. It is your super Bowl. You guys get so worked up about this stuff. It's awesome. Jennifer Ketchmark over at w CPO nine, first wearring weather keeping up dated, and she'll be popping in and out all the shows all day long as well and tomorrow too. I'm sure what's coming up here. I appreciate you, Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Be well nice here from you, sir.
Speaker 1: Yah there you go, Yes, ma'am, Yes, ma'am. Jennifer Ketch Mark over at nine here on seven hundred w alw and if bad weather breaks out, we'll break in. I love Ashua going and blaming her for all the bad weather that we're having. Is she if she misses it, we're gonna hold her, hold her account book. Not we take all the credit. But that then leads, because I mean, seriously, think about that. If if that sleet pattern, what did she called it? The nose right, So that's basically I was watching it yesterday, going, that's kind of interesting. So the sleet happens when you have warm air in the upper atmosphere. It's still gonna be cold af down here, we won't feel that, but upper atmosphere, the warmth comes in over the top. And if that happens, then it turns to sleet, which are pellets, right, And that's gonna hit the fluffy snow from the cold below and weigh everything down. It may things even more treacherous, probably because now that's almost like ice pellets on top of the fluffy snow. But if we don't get that sleet, then we get more snow. So in the upwards of fifteen inches, although here in sinci I mean between twelve and fifteen sixteen inches of snow I mean really, after after a foot, I think we're like, it doesn't really matter. It's kind of like, well, the wind chill is gonna be minus twenty or minus thirty, I don't know. I stopped counting after minus ten. It's it's it's just cold. It's deadly cold outside. So it's gonna start moving in tomorrow late right around ten o'clock is the white flag will go up on the white stuff. I guess it'd be the green flag and the white stuff, and then kind of slowly start up and then ramp up. By the time a wake up Sunday morning, depending what time you roll out, you're gonna have seven, eight, maybe even more inches on the ground. So we'll see what happens here, and like eight inches around north of Kentucky eleven up near Middletown. But again, these could change on Sunday Sunday morning and be a whole different thing as well. So at least six inches plus of snowfall for the entire area, that's for sure. Yeah, I think it's really interesting the rest of the country heavy ice threatning power lines because you know out west, you may recall back what five years ago, I think twenty Yeah, it'd be the twenty one winter storm. The Texas power grid failed because of the winter storm there. Over two hundred people died as a result of that because the ice gets on the power lines knocks everything down, and they're expecting that again. They think that this is going to be a high water mark for the amount of electricity that is demanded in America. I've often talked and had people on talking about our power grid, and you talk about drill, baby drill, and natural gas and pipelines. So that's all well and good because getting the natural resources out of the earth and producing energy are critical to our way of life. Drivermage structure. This is also being stretch even more thinly because of AI facilities, you know, Wilmington, Mount Aora, Butler County, Kentucky. Everywhere. They're fighting over whether or not we should a lot of these giant data farms out there that use a lot of energy, like the size of a small city. I think one of them was the size of the city of Hamilton, for example. One plant would use that kind some even use more than that, And so now it's even stretch more thin. So you put this weight on there too, and you wonder if it's a breaking point, and I think a lot of people in the energy business have their fingers crossed. Of course, you know, the productions I said to one thing, but the transmission, which is getting it from where the energy comes out of the earth is produced to your house is a different matter entirely. And we and you know, power plants for that matter as well. I guess I'll throw that in there. You know, you can take the oil, but what do you do with it? Okay, we've got to convert it to gasoline or diesel. We don't have enough plants for that. And if we use energy out of there, like let's say natural gas, getting that to where the fuel is a different story entirely. And then the power lines themselves, which we don't have enough up or they're under so much capacity and stress. You have a power outage, you have ice coming in, and again this is how many tens of thousands of square miles. You know, it's going to affect what two hundred thousand people, two hundred million people rather across the country. You think that some power lines are going to come down, What does that do? We're going to find out. This is an interesting test. I mean, I shouldn't say interesting, it's kind of scary because if you're the one without power for a week and it's well below zero, how do you survive that you have to go to a warming shelter or something like that. That's probably going to be thousands and tens of thousands of Americans. And at that point do we sit up and take notice? Gono, maybe we've got to start instead of worrying about, you know, the environment as much, which is a concern for sure, but we haven't done a lot of this stuff because the fear of the planet. Well, if you're freezing the death, do you tell yourself as you're dying, as you're freezing to death, going, well, at least I'm doing this with the planet. No, no one is doing that. And of course people will be angry because we don't have a power lines, including the people who protested in the first place, because we're kind of dumb that way. So we need to build a baby built drill drills one thing, but build baby build, you know, in a builders So I like do with that stuff. Anyway, Hopefully your furnace works this weekend. I don't think it's going to be a problem for most of us, because we certainly have ice events, But I'm more concerned about the airs of the country where they're not used to this kind weather. I mentioned Oklahoma not having any snowplows. Imagine what happens when they have ice bringing the power lines down. How they're going to deal with that because the people who go fix the power line alignment, how the hell are you going to get there if you got a lot of ice and snow? Good question, good question. We'll see how it plays out this weekend, and you know, praying for those people who are in harm's way that are facing this di aluma. I don't think we are as much under stress this this far east as they are out that way. For sure, South, I guess there would be too. So anyway, we got news on the way in just minutes here on seven hundred WL. You know, Jennifer did say make sure you have washer fluid and you're when you make sure your windshield white berds are good. And imagine autoparts stores got a pretty good around on them today too as well. But you know, you're not driving anywhere, so I don't know if you need all that wins, your washer fluid and stuff like that. But I will say, if you're driving in this stuff for someone who grew up in snow country, a couple tips for you. One of them would be, yet you make sure you absolutely got to see. The people who are like the I don't know the U boat commanders and they scrape a little small patch of windshield out and try to look through that like it's a tank. Don't do that because you know things are coming at you in different directions. And I've seen people blow through intersections because they can't see, and that's never any good. You want to make sure you get gas. Get that. I cannot stress with my wife enough and she won't do it. And make sure you have as much gas in your tank as possible. Fill that baby up because that adds weight over the back. And you know the other stuff is like you know, chest your battery and well, the time to do that was before this happened. We don't prepare very well for these things. And I thinks the other thing, too, is if you don't in a lot of areas of Cincinnati where there's hills, try not to come to complete stop. So if you're approaching a hill and there's like a light or something, or I got to get this hill, don't you know, pull up to the person in front of you and stop, keep trying to keep moving and time it out so that you're moving slowly. You've got inertia, you've got movement. Uh, so you don't have to come to complete stop. That will help you accelerate, especially if rear will, I mean, if real will. You probably shouldn't driving this stuff. But something like that. And then you know, don't forget that if it's an automatic transmission, there's not just D. Most most automatic transmissions have one and two. So use the lower gears in that kind of weather. It's going to keep your keep you from spinning out. Don't be afraid to do that'sw a lady, last big storm do that and like, uh, wish I could could have told her. It's like you know she's trying to You could just see her swerve and going up a hill, like you know, you need to shift down to one or two and hopefully that'll help you get traction. And anyway, just a couple of tips for you, A couple of fifty tips for you if you have a manual good for most people don't. I don't never, I had never will don't need it. I love computers doing stuff for me. Scott's Loan Show. We just had the full forecast, but I guess maybe we'll update that in a few minutes. We'll find out what traffic's doing. Probably not too bad today. And of course we should actually have Chuck should be doing the report, not from the roads, but rather from the parking lots of the grocery stores, auto parts and hardware stores. What about that, Chuck, Once you get on that, I'm I'm bossy. I give stuff, Make Jennifer Catchmark do stuff, Make Chuck do stuff. That's our role. Can I sit back here and laugh? Scott's Loan Show, seven hundred WLW Sloany here seven hundreds WLDE Friday Morning's Boys bringing Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty. Also Ready for the snow? Are you ready for Snowmageddon? Talking our way? I'm ready.
Speaker 8: I'm leaning into it. I went to a local grocery store last night. Yes, there was nothing on the show bare bones, I mean nothing. It was Thursday evening at seven pm. From what I've heard, Sloany, it's not gonna get here until middle of the day Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was gone. Yep, all of it?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yesterday afternoon I went and got some stuff. I just gotta cook a little bit this week. But you should have enough stuff around your house. Yeah, Like, I'm good.
Speaker 8: I just needed some small stuff, nothing crazy, and I was able to get most of that.
Speaker 1: But like we got a report from our own math. I got chips and guac. Matt Reese is in Dent at the Dent Kroger, he said, completely out of milk. There's not a gal of milk, half and half, two percent whole milk, chocolate milk, strawberry milk, heavy cream, whipped cream, you name it. It's all evaporated milk, powdered milk. It's all gone. He said. They're fifteen d deep. Fifteen deep at the'll check out of Kroger.
Speaker 8: I didn't realize so many people drink milk, Like how much milk is in like your every day I get it for certain cooking and rest peas and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: You use a little bit of milk.
Speaker 8: Yeah, kids, kids, Yeah, And that's not to be dismissive of those with children, but like I feel like they milk or the desire to have milk ever since the nineties in the got Milk campaign? I mean, mil are we back to the back to the milk? The whole milk is a thing, and Trump's saying and whole milk is amazing. But I got almond milk in this What did you just say? It's terrific. Some almond breese, just a little bit almond breezed, reduced sugar, hint of honey. Almond milk change your life. No, I was literally sitting here thinking, I don't drink milk ever.
Speaker 1: I don't eat cereal anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a little. Seriously, I put almond milk in my coffee and that's it. Yeah, who's the biggest dumb ass of the dumb ass of the week? Gosh? Please John John John Kiss want to say? I think fifty two weeks in a row. Uh. I see him the other day and he's in the kitchen area making coffee. Yeah, and he has a bag of mushroom coffee, which I guess it's mush mushroom. I've heard coffee made him. I's hard heard of it too, Like Oh, I said, well, you know, I know coffee is expensive these days, and everything's expensive with coffee, Like, is that cheaper? He goes, No, it's forty five bucks a bag for eight powdered ounces of I said, well, what what is it? The mushroom coffee? Does it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Well, the regular coffee makes me poop? Like, well, yeah, that's a whole point of coffee. Yeah, you drink coffee, hit the dump button. Yep, that's what happened. That's that's making get things going right. Yeah, like no, oh, no, I hate Who does he like to do that? Yeah, it's like the best five minutes of the day. Only five minutes of the day I like. And then he's like, well, no, no, it's just it's something bout my stomach. And it's a little better for him, Like it's forty five dollars from some coffee man. Well, I was gonna say, I'll give you every dollar. I'll bet every dollar in my bank account. Joh John didn't pay for that coffee. And I had a bunch of people. He said it was forty five bucks.
Speaker 8: He said, he probably had a bunch of people come in the studio and they talked about it, and you gave him a box.
Speaker 1: That's the John Johnners or some mushroom coffee. I said, man, that is the whitest thing I've heard in a long time. And it was on MLKD too, so that's even doubly insulting. He was also wearing shorts the other day when it was about four degrees outside. He claims he's cold blooded. Guy's got issues. Let's jump into uh well 's start. We'll do the local stuff. Were getting a football here with Austin Ellmore. This is interesting. I saw a tweet this morning Squirez and Hayes could move, we could lose, we could lose starters because we don't have a TV deal.
Speaker 8: How does that make sense? The Reds are the Reds. There are nine teams currently without a TV deal, and because of the revenue generated from that TV deal, that is money that the Reds are counting on to be able to spend on their roster.
Speaker 1: It's not abnormal.
Speaker 8: I mean, every team across major sports in the United States has some sort of revenue that is given to them via a TV deal that they use to spend on certain things. And baseball is especially messed up because of the regional sports networks and how many issues there have been because outside of baseball, for a lot of these rsns, and like you know, FanDuel Sports Network in Ohio, they might cover some caves, they do the Calves games and stuff like that, but there's not I don't know exactly the inner workings of it, but the viewership isn't there and they aren't making the money that they need to make to pay for it, and blah blah blah blah blah. So I don't know what the endgame is here unless Major League Baseball takes it all in house, and at that At that case, I think the product would ultimately be better, but it would generate less revenue I think, to the ball club than it would.
Speaker 1: On the FanDuel Sports Network.
Speaker 8: Interesting, and so because of that, the Reds are saying, well, we don't have the money to sign one of these guys, which is not true.
Speaker 1: So it's an excuse wherever it might be. We it's supposed to getting better in the off season would be worse. I mean it's possible their pitching is better.
Speaker 8: I think they have a really really strong pitching staff, but offensively they I don't know that they're going to score many runs at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of zero zerosults, all right, I don't want to be labor that because we'll talk HAPPNFL. Have we got UC at Arizona State. I believe they got rolled by Arizona number one team. They just stay in the in the state, so that's good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Arizona State has struggled at home lately, and I kind of wondered if that would happen the way that you see played against Arizona. Defensively, they played really well up until the end, but they just couldn't make shots. Hopefully against Arizona State a much not nearly as much of a dominant you just size wise team as Arizona is. Hopefully you see can get back to being able to score the ball and especially points in the paint. They were outscored against Arizona forty eight to fourteen in the paint. You're not going to win much to us, not much, but there are al right down this they lost in the stretch.
Speaker 1: This is interesting. I wonder if this game with the snow, does this even happen tom are you got ax lost to createon tomorrow? It's Richard against Rick so Father against Son. Yeah, with Saint John's coming to Senta Center for an afternon game, but you hear anything relative the weather in Missiscott, Oh. I believe they moved that game up. Oh they did.
Speaker 8: It was supposed to be a night game. I think they moved it up to a day game. I still still think it's going to be lines. Yeah, I think it's still probably going to be impacted. I don't know, so don't count me in on that exactly, but I do know that they moved it up. But yeah, Uh, the nine hundredth victory on the line for Rick Patino and up against his son Richard pretty cool to be cool.
Speaker 1: I thought it was funny.
Speaker 8: Richard Patino this morning tweeted, what are the odds I'm going for my two hundred and fifty eighth career victory against my dad? Because everybody's making this big deal about going up against nine hundred. But yeah, I mean it's cool to see those guys coach against each other. They've done it before, and for it to be in Cincinnati with nine hundred on the line, I'll tell you a lot of Xavier fans should be pleased. I think with the job that Richard Patino has done. I mean, that was a team that had very low expectations coming into this season, and Xavier fans were like, Okay, let's see what this guy can do. And every step of the way, that team is slowly getting better. To get boat raced by Creighton a couple of weeks ago and then go to their place and probably should have beaten them, lost just by one. There continues to be progressed from that team, and I think that is a reflection of Richard Patti.
Speaker 1: And not only that, that was the expectation of Xavier, whereas you see it's like, Okay, show us something, and yeah, it's not happening. Not happening. They're different things. NFL draft Fernanda Mendoza has declared, so it looks like he's going to be a Las Vegas Raider because they get the first pick and the draft need a quarterback and he's hoping, please Las Vegas take me, because I do not want to go to the Jets where they ruin quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you know, it's fascinating that the Raiders still don't have a head coach.
Speaker 1: And if you that's attracted want.
Speaker 8: To talk to anybody who's currently in the playoffs, you can't talk to them until they get eliminated. So let's say that the Seahawks advance. Let's say that the Patriots advance, and there's coaches on those teams that you want to talk to, Oh, you can't until after the super Bowl. This is very similar to what happened with the Bengals and Zach Taylor in twenty nineteen. The Rams were in the Super Bowl and the Bengals kind of knew that's the guy they wanted, but they had to wait for that to happen, and if you remember, the Bengals hired him the day after the Super Bowl. So we'll see what happens with the Raiders. I do think there's still a possibility that they trade that pick. Yeah, I don't think it's a likelihood, but I think it's a possibility, especially because there's no other quarterbacks worth taking in the first round of this draft, and next year is a very, very very good quarterback class. It makes you wonder if the Raiders are like, yeah, we'll move back three spots, we'll take your first round pick for next year, and we'll maybe see if we're back in this position to get another quarterback chance.
Speaker 1: It's a Cleveland trading up.
Speaker 8: They do have two first round picks, they do have two first round picks.
Speaker 1: I'll think of that. Good oh man. Yeah, all right, well we don't have to worry about that. We've got a quarterback in Cincinnati. We're fine there. And I would say here's another you want another silver lining with this obvious if the Bengals, let's say the Bengals went out of the the host the AFC Championship man this weekend. Okay, we got all the snow coming in. They don't have to pay anybody to we. We talked to snow, we talked about the worked out. We talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 8: If if the AFC Championship game was this weekend in Cincinnati, do you think do you think the NFL would get involved? Now here's a note, because people would be there no matter what. They would sell that thing out. Doesn't you get to your seat and go, what am I gonna ll the snow?
Speaker 1: That's all right?
Speaker 8: But like I'm saying, do the would the NFL, based off what happened against the Ravens in December, get involved?
Speaker 1: Here's you're phrasing the question rightway. When does the NFL get involve? Not if it's a win like they look at it. Go Okay, since he's host THEFC game. We saw what happened last time. You guys need to clean this stuff up. They wouldn't be like, oh, the NFL is gonna now find them because they didn't clean the seats like. They'd have to be told to clean the seats off. That's how they roll down. I wish we had that so good, right, I really wish we had that problem. There's a reason you don't because you don't clean seats off. If you did that, you'd think about the other stuff too. Let's jump into the teams that do matter right now, there's only four of them. Early game is Patriots at Broncos. Bronx are four and a half point favorites. There three o'clock on Sunday, snow coming to Denver too. That should be interesting to see how that plays out. I'm sure the lfil's alternate sites available here, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. We'll find out to fourteen and three teams, especially since the Patriots were the inverse of that last season last two seasons, I should say is incredible. But of course the big store is bon Nicks breaks his ankle in the second last play of the game against Buffalo setting up for an easier path to the Patriots to get to the super Bowl. That's the most Buffalo thing other than what the press conference I heard this week was is that that's like, wait, we broke the foot of the guy, so now our mortal enemies can go to the super Bowl again.
Speaker 8: We can do an entire show on Terry Bogoula and Brandon Bean and that Prescott Buffalo still hurts, But yeah, it is. It is interesting. Now here's the thing with Denver. They're at home and they have the best defense in the NFL, right there next to Seattle. And Drake May has played pretty poorly through the first two playoff games, so it's not like it's Tom Brady going up against Trent dilferd here. Drake May has not played very well either, And I think because of that that gives Denver a chance. If Drake May plays the way he's played the last couple of weeks, that defense off the defense that Denver has, then Denver's going to be in this football game. And I really believe that Jared Stidham, by the way, is a guy that is highly sought after as a backup quarterback. You might remember He was drafted by the Patriots back in the day and was one of the guys that they thought about, you know, behind Tom Brady and eventually coming up. When Josh McDaniels left the Patriots to go be the Raiders head coach, he traded for Jared Stidham. He wanted him to be the backup to Derek Carr, and they tried to pay him a pretty decent amount of money to come back, and Sean Payton outbit him to bring him to Denver. So there is a belief by a few coaches in this league that Jared Stidham is the guy that you want, somebody that you can believe in as the prototypical backup quarterback right now? Is he somebody that game on the line two minute drill you feel confident in. No, you don't. But when you have a defense that is as good as Denvers, he can win you a football game. And that's all Denver neats.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he hasn't taken a snap in the regular season, first time that has happened in fourteen seasons, and the last time this has happened where a backup with no reps went to a championship game would have been in seventy three with Cincinnati's Roger Staubach about that and the Dallas Cowboys it has a long time, that's been a long time. And then asking to cof the bench in a playoff situation. It's a big ass sure a young guy. Sure, no, it absolutely is. But we have seen backup quarterbacks in the past go on a crazy run. Nick, you don't know what two years ago done with the game plan is? Yeah, all right, well see what do you think though?
Speaker 8: I think Denver's gonna win the game or I think New England's gonna win the game, because I just don't think Drake may will play that poorly again, and I think they'll be prepared. I'm a big fan of Mike Vrabel. I love the way that that team has geled all season long. I think it will just be too much for Jared's to them. I don't think New England's gonna blow him out, is my point. I think that that's going to be a competitive game, and I think New England will find a way to get back to the super Bowl again.
Speaker 1: I think Denver's defense wins the game. Okay, all right, Nick, Benito, Patrick Certan, I want Denver's defense to win the game. You're just a Patriot hater. Correct. A lot of people are. People are sick of the Patriots. Correct.
Speaker 8: I don't need to see them go to any more Super Bowl squandering every opportunity. So people forget that the Broncos have won like five Super Bowls too. Yeah they're pretty good. Yeah, pretty good coaches here. Yeah, but they didn't do it all at once, so nobody Careston knows what's Upate knows what's up, all right? The late game, that's a six thirty game in Seattle where the Rams are in Seattle's a two and a half point favorite. They're a little tighter, and I think a four and a half is what the spread was for the previous game of the AFC game NFC Championship. In the Rams, they just keep finding ways to win. The wildcard game against the Panthers was crazy touchdown the final minute. Of course, we saw what happened with the Bears last week in overtime where a Seattle has just hammered their opponents. I mean, what forty one six in the Divisional against San Francisco that was just a boat race?
Speaker 1: So, uh, is this gonna be two and a half, though, Is that gonna be this much of content? I'm in love with the Seattle Seahawks. I think they're going to win the Super Bowl. I think they covered it. I think their defense is dominant.
Speaker 8: I think obviously a home field advantage up there, and the twelfth Man is just going to be a lot to overcome for the Rams. And you know, for a third time this season, these two teams are going to be playing each other. In the first two were you know, very very tight games. Matthew Stafford's dealing with that finger injury that kind of messed him up. I think he's going to be fine, But still, if it's cold and it's wet and it's rainy and it's Seattle, whether that could bother you a little bit. And I just think that you know, you're going these are two elite head coaches, two elite schemers, one on the defensive side of the ball, and Mike McDonald one on the offensive side of the ball. And Sean McVeigh. What do you not know about each other now in the third time around? And what's the wrinkle going to be? Is there gonna be a trick player? Is there gonna be a defensive look or a blitz that you haven't seen before, and is it gonna happen in a big moment that can turn the game on its head and that you can force a fumble. I just think that Seattle was the most complete team. They're the most confident team, and I think they're gonna go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Seahawks. It is a running back to torn acl so that may add interesting wrinkle, but they got Kenneth Walker the third so it's not like they don't have a back in that case. Seahawks. I think Seahawks win eventually go to the super Bowl, but I think we'll see a rematch. We'll cover it next week. Austin Elmore at noon to d An ESPN fifteen thirty. What he got real quick?
Speaker 8: We're gonna have Charlie Goldsmith at one o'clock. He'll make sense of the reds for us, and I know everybody has talked to her. She's the most popular woman in town. Jennifer Ketchmark is going to join us at one five because Tony Pike hates meteorologists and doesn't believe them, so we're gonna have Jennifer on to explain what's gonna happen well.
Speaker 1: Nine out of ten meters hate Tony Pike, so work out Austin, Almar Thanks buddy, appreciate it and not just metrologists. Sony home with best Bengals coverage seven hundred wws's cold, baby, it's getting hairy.
Speaker 7: It's getting hairy.
Speaker 1: We are all worked up with lathered up into a froth. It's like we're rabid over the snow that's coming. Six inches, eight inches, ten inches, twelve inches, fourteen inches. I saw reports we could get changes every second here. Fifty inches of snow possible, could be two hundred inches of snow. My god, we won't see saguntill after opening day at this right. Scott's Sloan Show seven hundred W. But it's a crisis in the tri State as white death is fast approaching here and something else you have to be concerned about. A more serious note, of course, of the bitterly cold temperatures. It's it's gonna drop all day long today and by tonight it's gonna be four, but it's gonna feel like twelve, and then by tomorrow it's gonna be even colder than that. So when your sub zero you gotta go out and shovel, You gotta go do stuff. You might have commitments that you have to go out and actually leave the house. I hope not. But if you do, some caution because you know what, it's in the twenties, thirties, okay, But once you get below freezing with chill, that's a different matter. In Tyler, and now you're talking about safety and maybe some just tips on how to deal with that when you're out in it, because you're going to have to at some point to get rid of the snow from you driveway on that. Joining the show is doctor Mark Conroy. He's the emergency room director at the OSU Wexler Medical Center and Columbus Doctor Mark. Welcome and how's everything at the Capitol?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 9: Good, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Some people do better outside than others, there's no question about it. But you know, you're talking about extreme cold kind of like extreme heat. There's only so much limits the human body can endure. And then we turn on, for example, football, extremely bitterly cold temperatures for NFL games, and invariably you'll see linemen or other players with no sleeves on or anything like that, and go man you know, you got the way it is right now for ten to fifteen minutes, and you can't fill your arms. How do they pulling it off?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so great question. I have friends and the family asking me the same thing. Those athletes are out there performing and working actively throughout that entire time time. So even though they're out there, they are physically active, and that is keeping the blood flowing and keeping them as warm as possible, likely, you know, deferring the issues that would happen if you or I were to out go out in short sleeves and try to be out there for the same time period.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, gotcha. So if you're moving in your well, I guess you know, I guess you go out in shovel snow. I suppose as long as you keep moving and doing that, you're exerting in a physical energy. The blood flows happening, and so now your extremities are in danger of freezing. Is that what you're saying that?
Speaker 9: And you know, certainly, if we're out and we're doing things, we want to be bundled correctly. We want to have enough layers on. We want to keep ourselves dry. Those NFL players have, you know, all the gear that they could possibly imagine to keep themselves warm even with the bare sleeps in between in between series, they're they're putting on their coats, they're standing by the warmers, and so they're doing the best they can to keep themselves warm.
Speaker 1: That would be the difference. One of the things you hear somebody's like outside doing work, if you vacilline on your skin, that will help. Is that true or false?
Speaker 9: So that is a true thing that, just like when you put it on your lips or you're putting on liftball vascline on your skin can certainly help trap in some warmth, trap in some moisture. But it's not going to be the you know, the only thing that can protect you. You still have to wear a lot of layers. You still have to stay dry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how long does it take typically in this kind of weather for hypothermia set in it? Is it different for everyone?
Speaker 9: So certainly there are people who are more at risk for hypothermia, but anyone at this point, at these temperatures, you know, close to zero or below, you can just be outside for a few minutes before you start experiencing early times to hypothermia.
Speaker 1: First time would be shivering right, because your body's trying to generate heat. That's metabolol keat productions what's going on. It starts to stimulate and then you know from there, you know, numbness sets in and so the stages to recognize would be what.
Speaker 9: So besides the shivering, besides the numbness, you can start feeling slow down, You can start feeling confused, your arms can feel heavier, and you feel like you're not as able to be as active as you would normally. Those are all kind of the progressive signs for hypothermia.
Speaker 1: At some point, though this is extreme. You're outside and these elements on exposure and you're not thinking about it. You're you know, it's kind of counterintuitive. You think your mind would get sharper because your body's in danger, and yet it's kind of a slow fade, and once you hit that stage, man, it can be really deadly for people.
Speaker 9: It absolutely can if you're out for too long. Besides just you know, the complications from frost site and those types of things, you can if your core top temperature keeps dropping, it can be you know, it can be deadly.
Speaker 1: Keep seeing a lot of videos and especially this time here, people go out on ice, for example, and fall through the ice, and man, there's a quick way to die right there, right because your body cools off extremely quickly. Something that I forgot why I read may was a long time ago, is it's interesting. So if you fell in to water like that, ever got wet, the best thing to do would be take those clothes off. And if there's snow on the ground, if you put your wet body on the cold snow, it's kind of like sand and water in a beach. It freezes and you just wipe it off and you're dry and that could possibly save your life, which sounds crazy. But is that the outdoor survival stuff that is debunked by signs for medicine or is there some truth to that?
Speaker 9: So there might be a little bit of truth in the very short term to get your wet clothing off, but in reality, what you really want to do is you don't want to just, you know, wrap yourself in snow and feel like you've you've made a difference. At that point, you want to get yourself inside. You want to get yourself into a safe, dry place and get that wet clothing off.
Speaker 1: But the water on your skin and evaporate of nature. It's just going to make you colder faster, exactly, is the point, right, Try and dry. Dry, dry is better than wet, especially in these conditions and everything freezes. Doctor Mark Conroy is here. Mark is a emergency medicine doctor at the Ohio State University of Westerner Medical Center. With the extreme cold we're having here in the Tri State, good time to kind of update us on all this stuff. Typically a lot of us, although you know, we have a pretty big signal, and there are people out rural areas it may wind up getting wet or something like that. But typically in urban areas Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, et cetera, you don't have those kind of problems. The biggest thing you've got to do is go out scraping your cars. It's not like we're in danger of falling over dead from hypothormy, but it does happen unheeded homes, and you know that's a danger too as well. Who's most at risk for this?
Speaker 9: So certainly the elderly are most at risk. Anyone who has to be outside for long periods of time, whether due to work or because of homelessness, those are individuals at risk. Younger children are certainly at risk. And then you know, just by certain kind of behaviors, we can put ourselves at increased risk. So drinking a lot of alcohol heading outside can give us a false sense of security, It gets us a false sense of warmth, and so those individuals can be at risk as well.
Speaker 1: How come, Yeah, I can pay big bucks to have some cryotherapy done, get my head frozen, like Ted Williams or something like that, and that's you know, you get in the ice bath and that's good for you. And and yet we're talking about the dangers of coal today. It seems counterintuitive. I pay a lot of I'd pay a lot of money if I got in a hyperbaric or cryotherapy chamber or something along those lines, and yet I go out today, I'm gonna die. What's the difference.
Speaker 9: So the big difference is it's just the level of controlled environment that you're exposing yourself to. So when you go into those centers and you do a cryotherapy treatment, or you know, you're you're sitting in an ice bath, that is a very temporary process. You're able to get yourself out, you're able to warm yourself up at that point, but you know, going out into the environments on days like this, Typically people are going out for longer periods, they're you know, behaving inappropriately, or they're doing things that put them at an increased risk. It's a much different scenario than something more controlled.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's a very limited amount of time too as well. But there's a therapeutic value in coal, right.
Speaker 9: Certainly, there's a lot of there's a lot of work and kind of studies around muscle soreness and relieving joint pain and so you know, the cold in and of itself is not a bad thing to be exposed to for short periods and a controlled environment, but it's really more the uncontrolled environments that put us at risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes a lot of sense too. We also talk about doctor Mark Conroy the stress on your cardiovascular system, which is a big deal. I always thought it was just okay, if I go with shoveling snow and I'm in bad shape now, where there's a chance maybe have a heart attack something along those lines and have a serious medical event. But does the cold weather stress your cardiovascular system just a cold alone.
Speaker 3: It absolutely does.
Speaker 9: Cold can stress your cardiovascular system in a few different ways. It causes constriction of your arteries, and so your blood vessels get smaller, you get less blood flow into certain areas, and then at the same time that drives up your blood pressure, so it ends up putting more stress onto your heart. In addition, your heart just works at a greater rate to try to keep yourself warm when you're exposed to cold, and so kind of this triple effect of increased stress to the art.
Speaker 1: If I went down to Florida right now, it's like seventy something degrees, I would be sweating like nobody's business. And Yet if you live in Florida, you come to Cincinnati or Columbus or Cleveland, come to Ohio this time of year, you're freezing to death. And where's laughed the people coming up? Going, Man, it's the middle of summer. You guys are in long sleeves. And yet I go down there and a mild time of the year and I'm sweating. What's going on with our bodies? There is there such thing as acclimating to the environment, And how long does that take?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: And you know this is why sports teams and athletic programs spend a few days out in the summer before really increasing their exertion level. Our bodies acclimate to the temperatures. Most of the time. It takes you know, three to four days to kind of adjust to a certain temperature and get our bodies more comfortable with the environment that we're seeing.
Speaker 1: If I'm cold, I'm outside in this kind of weather, doctor Mark Conroy, covering my extremities. Typically my wearing gloves and wearing a hat seems to warm the rest of us up. Do we lose more heat through our heads than the rest of our body? Is there to wives taiale urban legendary.
Speaker 9: More of a wives tale than anything. Really, We're going to lose heat through any exposed skin. So whether it's your face, your arms, your hands, your head, anything that just gets left exposed is going to have small little blood vessels at the surface that'll help you transfer heat to the environment.
Speaker 1: Farther away from your body. Right, So, typically, well, my feet aren't cold, Well, that's because you got shoes and socks on. Usually this time of the year. If your hands and head get cold, or the farthest part away from your farther away from your heart than the other parts of your body. And so it starts in the core and works its way out or I guess that's probably the best way to explain it exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, the amount of blood flow to the extremity, it diminishes as you get closer to the to the fingertips, and the same thing with ears and toes and everything else, and so your core is going to be the warm etherea. But and so unfortunately those the extremities are definitely more susceptible for the cold.
Speaker 1: All right, So maybe you're out on the job today this week and it's extremely cold and you have to be outside and you realize, hey, man, I'm starting to I'm not feeling well all of a sudden, Maybe I'm starting to get a little foggy in the mind and tired, and realize that that is hypothermia stopped shivering, which is a sign maybe you're going in the direction. What's first aid for that? What can I do at home? And then what are the signs that have to come see you at the emergency department.
Speaker 9: So the key thing anytime you start feeling like you've been out in the cold for too long is to get yourself into a warm environment. Get off any wet and wet or moist clothing and then start warming with you know, blank dry blankets, get yourself, you know, in a nice dry environment. If you start noticing that, you know that person's confusion isn't improving, or they're having confusion honestly, or they're starting to notice redness or rubberiness to their skin. That'd be concerning for frostbite. Those are all reasons to head into the emergency department and get checked out.
Speaker 1: What's the differ between frost nip and frost bite?
Speaker 9: So it just has to do with the extent of cold damage to the skin. Frost Ness is a little bit of an earlier process. Frost bite is much more concerning and damaging to the skin.
Speaker 1: The frostbite part where you lose all sensation there and it starts turning. You could start see turning white or blue or starting to you know, essentially your tissues dying at that point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So at that point typically you notice color changes. It's typically white because the blood flow has been diminished. You do not necessarily feel pain right off the bat when you're in the cold, because you've everything is numb. At that point. When you start warming up, you might notice redness and then the pain starts coming in and then yeah, typically your skin will feel a little bit more rubbery, a little bit more gluey, because the tissues have lost their normal pliability.
Speaker 1: All right, So should I go and put I don't like hot water on that or something, or just let you know, go inside and let it warm up naturally. I don't want to kind of force a hold a torch over my hand would be a bad idea.
Speaker 9: No, that's a great question and something that people often don't understand fully the details around. If you are concerned about frostbite, the best thing to do, besides getting yourself out of that cold clothing is to use dry blankets and avoid kind of submerging it in water because you may not feel how hot that water is. If you do end up submerging it, you really want to use almost like a loop warmer, slightly warmer to touch water, but you really don't want to do hot water, and you want to avoid kind of going near hot fires and everything else that might damage the tissue further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I may take a few minutes, but warm up gradually and then go from there. Of course, hot liquids help too as well. Hopefully you don't need that information. But with the severe weather, we have an extreme cold. We've got schools closed today because of that and a lot of areas and it's just going to be bitterly cold here for the next few days and if you have to go out you got to work or whatever. Now you're maybe a little bit more prepared for this, hopefy, you learned something that maybe didn't know before. Doctor Mark Conroy. He is doctor emergency Medicine at the Ohio State University at the Wexner Medical Center. Thanks again for taking time, and I know you're really busy, but I appreciate you.
Speaker 9: Thanks so much, No, thank you so much for having me and everyone hopefully stay safe, take care.
Speaker 1: I have buddies that work outside this kind of stuff, and I'm used to it. But when you get sub zero and windshiel and things like that, it doesn't take much for stuff to freeze. As he kind of pointed out there too. So if you've got to work out out there, trades whatever, you kind of know the drill, but it doesn't take much. You fall in that complacency, and that's where you can kind of get in trouble, believe it or not. I'm more worried about the severe cold and all the snow. Snow is you know, a pack of survival kid and all these things. Chances are you're not going to get stuck on the side of the road and be buried in an avalanche. But you know, going outside in the clod for a while, even a minimum amount of time can really really creep up on you and get you. It's kind of like being out in the extreme heat. We just don't think of that. With the cold, for sure, and that cold the way it's gonna be brutal. It was much colder this morning it was yesterday. For sure. That temperature by the time we head home today is gonna be really really cold. I think four degrees is what we're gonna hit tonight. Overnight it's gonna fil more like twelve below twelve below, and we're not gonna get warmer for there, that's for sure. The snow's going to start in about ten am tomorrow, I believe, somewhere around that point, and slow but steady, and about time we wake up Sunday, you're gonna have around eight inches on the ground, depending and then we get maybe sleep. If we get sleep, let's snow. If there's no sleep. Jennifer Ketchmark over at nine was on last hour. She said about no sleep means about fifteen inches or more. So we'll find out what happens together. They don't know yet, and we'll keep you updated all day long, of course, full reset with weather and traffic and preparedness and all that stuff. We will keep you updated and keep you informed throughout the entire length of the storm, however long that might be, and of course a subsequent digout as well, and of course with the streets aren't plowed to my satisfaction, we'll complain about the city, we'll complain about the county. We'll complain about O DOT on Monday morning. That's how it works here. If everything goes successful, no credit is given. That's how we do things here. I'm seven u s for w ALW.
Speaker 4: The weekends coming on and you need to make the most advent where to go and what to do.
Speaker 3: She hasked the tips and inside to help you make it a super weekend. So listen up. This is the local Loop with Allie Martin on seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 1: She's in here with her loud jacket, she's got ready on the snow.
Speaker 7: Can we talk about this checker. It is a sleeping bag for.
Speaker 1: The average and she walks in with these ridiculously large earmuffs fuzzy, super fuzzy, and the down coat. It looks like I was like, that looks like a sleeping bag for.
Speaker 7: The average person. Yeah, because it's a tall right, it's a tall jacket. So if you were to put this on or anybody who's five feet tall this, they could go camping exactly right, exactly which works for the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's a sleeping snuggie. Our friend, Ally Martin is your local loop stuff to do, eat, seed, drink this weekend. And we're not gonna do anything.
Speaker 7: That's so we're gonna plan ahead. What are you?
Speaker 1: Are you ahead?
Speaker 7: This is a plan ahead. So we're gonna plan ahead for Valentine.
Speaker 1: I want to cook a little bit, you know, because it's that, you know, with the snow and outside and just chill watch football. I got And there's the thing, is like I have no reason to go out like anybody else.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So did you panic buy like everybody did, or you.
Speaker 1: Were shocked up the meal plan a little bit and said, okay, what do you want to cook? We don't gonna do Friday. We're even Saturday. Were gonna do Sunday? Uh, last night made a Tuscan soup. I'm gonna do sauce on Sunday. Put a big pot of sauce on and uh Saturday, I don't know.
Speaker 7: You know, this is also a time to be cookies.
Speaker 1: So we're not sweet tooth people, but I mean.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm just grateful that I live in a building with neighbors who also know how to cook. So this is the time that we all just hang out and thank goodness for Uncle Wally and his fridge is always got stuff. We go to his place and then here we are.
Speaker 1: I've got tons of liquor.
Speaker 7: I'm ready, I got tons of liquor. I'm I'm a self I claim barista at this point, I have an espresso machine. Now wow, I don't mean to toot my own horn, but to two espresso martinis come in your way?
Speaker 1: Wow, how about that? Okay, thank you? Ready to go?
Speaker 7: So yeah, this is this segment's all gonna be about preparing though, as I said, for Valentine's Day this year. Okay, but that is.
Speaker 1: Because if you haven't done that yet, ye run out of time.
Speaker 7: Kind of running out of time knowing how the hospitality works, business works. But also because Valentine's a Day this year is only Saturday the fourteenth, So yeah, as someone who's working with bars and restaurants for content and marketing, Valentine's Day is booking up so fast. And keep in mind, all right, all right, what are some opportunities If you don't want to go out on Friday or on Saturday, consider Friday, consider Saturday.
Speaker 1: One for you. So Valentine's the fourteenth, three days, lightters, Fat Tuesday, I'm King of Marty Gray again martin northn Kentucky Convention Center, and it go to Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot org. Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot org. All the proceeds benefit three area shelters. It's all for Cherry to help feed homeless kids. But you've been there many times, Allie, you know it's all Marty Grafiel. It's you know. We've got the float, we got the band, we got DV eight. My friends with dB eight are playing our dear friends from dvight are playing Melissa, and so the music's gonna be great. They have over fifty restaurants, food unlimited alcohol. You get one ticket, you come and you eat and you drink. It's a Tuesday night, You're in and out. And that is a very very gettable and affordable Valentine's. You give that for Valentine's say hey, listen and if you really want to use it up, get the hotel across the street there.
Speaker 7: You spend some time in northern Kentucky and you could probably bid on a slush machine and get it to lots of hits you in the face with bread.
Speaker 1: Bread. It's it's amazing, It is amazing.
Speaker 7: I think maybe that's why you know how you had that cabinet fall.
Speaker 1: With bread from they saved it the crew to on from ten years ago of bread artifacts. So I just want to throw that out there. What else you got for V Day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: All right. So I have a couple of different options here, some more budget friendly, some more specif to you know, bourbon and live music and things like that, as well as including some of our James Beard line up opportunities and bars and restaurants in town. So one of the things that I know, and I'm speaking kind of from a little bit of what I enjoy as well, but I know other people enjoy jazz and music and like to get out. And a spot that I think people potentially sleep on is Schwartz Point Jazz Club. Have you heard of it.
Speaker 1: I've been there and it's awesome.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I like it.
Speaker 1: I like all kinds. I like jazz a lot, especially something about this weather you give cocktail listens from to jazz, it is just chill.
Speaker 7: Well, my Spotify did say that I was eighty six because I listened to jazz. So here we are.
Speaker 1: You like smooth jazz? What do you like smooth? I like it all.
Speaker 7: I like smooth jazz. I love a little dinner jazz. I love a little Christmas jazz. I'm a wide range jazz listener.
Speaker 1: And John Coltrane, I listen, okay, Yeah, I don't I love I just love okay jazz. All right.
Speaker 7: So Schwartz Point Jazz Uh. It has been around for the last thirty years. It's at one hundred and fifty year old building. It's in over the Rhine, very close to Northern Row, right in a corner. You can right on the corner. You can't miss it. There's just so much character. This reminds me of a spot of is if you were in New York. It resembles that out of any other jazz bottle in the city. And so on Valentine's Day on Saturday, they are doing a night of where you can listen to live jazz. There's gonna be appetizers, there's going to be desserts, chocolates. They're also going to give you roses. They'll have two different acts throughout the night. And again for seventy Bucks, they only have so much space. But this could be your opportunity to swing in there, enjoy it, bring your date whoever that might be, and make that a night because there's also other options around there where you could eat and drink, like Northern Row. As I said, Ryan Geist is right around the corner of Friendly Markets right over there, So turn that into an evening on that side of town. But also yeah, and theows. But here's the other thing. Maybe you don't want to go the day of because it is seventy bucks a ticket. Yeah, if you're not wanting that. They are open on Thursday, Fridays and Sundays. It's a five dollars cover and nor Yeah, so that could be if you're looking for more of a budget hack, maybe you shift your days Saturday, when it's not Valentine's Day, it's normally ten bucks. I highly recommend.
Speaker 1: You so a couple hondo for a you know, it's one hundred for but you're gonna spend more, so one hundred and fifty, two hundred whatever it might be. On Valentine's Day, you're in for sixty bucks all in all the other night, just saying, and it's a lovely place. The spot is great.
Speaker 7: They're not totally changing it, you know, obviously on Valentine's Day they're giving you the appetizers and the track reparks as a legendary. It's just go by yourself. You a rose, just a box of chocolate on your own, so it but also do as you will, whatever you will, do as you want, do what you want to do. So that's more of the downtown area. Also, if you maybe also want to look into you know, I'm a big bourbon gal, like a Bourbon trail dinner combo. Maybe this is a bee Lion stop or two, So you could look at New Riff which has the aquifer. There's also Coppins Second Sight Spirits and if you're looking into that, you could maybe tack on in Mainstraws, there's uh Auto's Ouque Coppins, and then Revival Vintage bottle Shop into one day. I would recommend that maybe you're up more in your neck of the woods. Loveland they're doing this Loveland Hearts.
Speaker 1: Of Fire, one of our one of my my wife's best us. A matter of facts. One helps put that on. So oh really yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. So they do a great job, but we haven't been.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: You can speak, why do you go? I was one year She's like, oh, you know, we had to do because she loves h Francis. She loves you know, Zultarist. You know Zultar, you know the booths where you put the money in it gives you a fortune. Oh yeah, right right, where can't be looking?
Speaker 7: Guy?
Speaker 1: She wanted to do one of those booths one year and if you get your your your fortune and she I was like, I will totally volunteer to.
Speaker 7: Do these old tar What was the fortune that's the best.
Speaker 1: We never pulled it off. I'm like, I'm waiting for the invitation. I would do it. They just do live fortune readings.
Speaker 7: What would my fortune be if you had to read my fortune? What's my fortune?
Speaker 1: You're gonna be single forever. Next brain is.
Speaker 7: Listening to this, So what happens plot to us?
Speaker 1: Hey, your dog's gonna die next? A little horrible things? Surprise, Oh you're gonna hit by a bus. Who's next.
Speaker 7: To slip on ice?
Speaker 1: We've been married fifteen years? Congratulations, you want make sixteen who's got let's go next, be drunk and do it. It'd be awesome. So it's a nice event.
Speaker 7: Allegedly it's a nice event, and it's pretty much an all weekend thing.
Speaker 2: They do a.
Speaker 7: Puppy kissing both right, They have an ice sculpture walking tour. They have fire dancers, they have a celebrity couple call a celebrit a couple of costume contests.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, live music.
Speaker 7: You name it. And of course you have your bars and your restaurants that are in that downtown area, which maybe you just pop around, grab a cocktail or quarter.
Speaker 1: You got Talma, you got bishops quarters, bishop courers called the other thing too.
Speaker 7: I don't know if people know this hot chance that it's already probably booked out, but there is an airbnb at the very top. There is a bishops court.
Speaker 1: It's really cool. There's a couple of apartments up there that you can run.
Speaker 7: So if you want to do a little staycation, right poke around right now, because maybe there's maybe the.
Speaker 1: Friday isn't there, and also maybe you want to wait to in the spring. That it's got a balcony too, so you could take advantage the whole thing, the old the bike trail. Yeah, yeah, it's nice. It's beautiful down here.
Speaker 7: I mean, my guess is you're not the raw, raw Valentine's guy.
Speaker 1: After all these years, we're good.
Speaker 7: Have you ever done big Valentine?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean you know when you when you're first going out and like you know, it's the honeymoon and yeah you got new Valentine's Day. Listen to this before I get old and miserable, and you go, it's is stupid. We could do this. We do this pretty much every every day, so you're fortunate to be Ellie every day is freaking Look at me, mister romance. What they call me every day in our house is Valentine, mister sensitive.
Speaker 7: I told I told my boyfriend. I was like, all right, well, what do we do it for Valentine's Day? Because I've told him I'm like I don't really care about Valentine.
Speaker 1: It's relationship holiday is what it is.
Speaker 7: It's like, secretly you want him to plan something, of course, just make a little bit of effort. But then this is what he pulls out. He goes, all right, well, what are you going to do for Sweetest Day? Damn?
Speaker 6: It is that?
Speaker 3: What? Wait?
Speaker 1: I women are responsory Sweetest Day?
Speaker 7: Apparently googled it on the fly when we were talking about this, so I was like, okay, what's the do which is October seventeenth the Sweetest Day? And he goes, yeah, the women are supposed to be responsible for treating the men. So now I pigeonholed myself and it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Sweetest I love the hypocrisy with you people, is that if if something's demanded of you, well, what do you mean? I got to do something?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 1: All different ballgame. Wait a minute, what happened. I want to be just we want a quality. We want to be just like man. We want to be treating Okay, we're treating you as peers. Now you've got to do something for us.
Speaker 7: I'm here for it. I'm here for I just had to prepare for it. I just didn't realize that it was an actual day.
Speaker 1: Allie Martin a sexist when it's convenient for her.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing, and this is how the appinnacle. This is the pinnacle of it. I'm like, I don't really care about Valentine and saying nah, but then if you if he doesn't do anything, I'd be like, you didn't why don't you play anything? Yeah, I'm not happy, I'm gonna admit that, but it would just take a crumble cookie for me to be It doesn't take much. It really doesn't take much.
Speaker 1: It doesn't take much.
Speaker 7: It could be a crumble cookie. Or if you really want to be super super budget friendly. Did you know that White Castle does a thing called love Castle. I'm not even kidding. White Castle. You can book on open table and they do tablecloth, They have a hostess, they have seating, they have candlelight dinner and they'll serve you slider.
Speaker 1: Is it better just to not do something? Then?
Speaker 7: I guess it depends on your audience.
Speaker 1: Because why do you see the only time I hit white he sees I've got to be ham or drunk. So maybe after Valentine's You're like, I'm really I need something.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, they don't have a liquor license. I know it's gonna be byo.
Speaker 1: Bith says, like them stanky onions?
Speaker 3: Have you like?
Speaker 7: Do you eat White Castle?
Speaker 1: If I'm really, really, really really drunk, whoever's driving you pay them. I'll pay your white cast and white Cast.
Speaker 7: That's a perfect Then what is your drunk fast food option? You're coming home from a night Valentine's days over, you bar hopped, you ordered door.
Speaker 1: Dash, whatever's open at that point. If it's Mickey D's, it's White Castle, whatever's closed, Wendy's. Nobody cares. Pizza ultimate well, Skyline is always good. That Hits pizza is good. Pizza always money if it's open. But the problem is they don't you know you need all night. I would rather o'clock in the morning. You don't have many options.
Speaker 7: No, but I would rather starve and make stovetop corn, then eat White Castle as I'm sitting here promoting it.
Speaker 1: Wait, if you're do you see, then you're not drunk enough. If you're drunk, you would just eat it out of the box.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's because I'm a professional.
Speaker 1: Cup of water and what eat I'm just eating stove top stuffing out of the box. Yep, try me a couple, try some bread crumbs and then just like a little pinch of the spices between your mind.
Speaker 7: It's fine, No, because then your body is going to feel it. It's instantaneously.
Speaker 1: I don't have time to cook. That'll pass out by the time the water boils.
Speaker 6: I'm over it.
Speaker 7: I'm over it.
Speaker 1: I'm over it real quick.
Speaker 7: Got a minute, James Beard semifinalists. This is big. So here are also spots to look into that are sure filling up fast. We have Sadova, we have kikiS, we have Nolia, we have Longfellows, and we have the Baker's table. Keep in mind, Longfellows is a cocktail bar. The others are actual restaurants, so if you're looking into potentially booking that beer. Nominees five, yes, semi finalists, so semi finalists. Yeah, they will be making the announcements in June, I believe for the winners. But here in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, we have a total of five, and each one really brings something a little different. Uh ki kis, like that's Japanese more style, Korean nolea is your creole Nola styleg and Longfellows it's a it's a cocktail bar, but they do serve a lot of light bites and they experiment with that. The Baker's table is just your classic American cuisine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really a time when I mean, we just saw that the restaurants have been shrinking for a while in Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 1: I pick back up at the convention center, going in a new hotel and the vibe down there.
Speaker 7: Sales are good.
Speaker 1: Arms around crime that might help a little bit too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, baby steps, baby.
Speaker 1: Steps last summer. We'll see what happens here. Appreciate you. Thanks, Alie Martin local loop at Ali Martin the number eight on our social media feed. Of course, the good with Ali on YouTube as well. You want to check that out. So he's well produced in great content. So appreciate you. Because we got we've got to get to it here. We've got news, we've got weather moving in. Looks like we're going to get in that eight to ten to twelve or more, possibly arrange full fourcast seconds away. It's a Scott Sloan show back here to wrap it all, put a bow on all the big winter storm. We'll probably still big digging out on Monday morning for that matter, on seven hundred W. Dowte, Cincinnati,