Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's the Dodgers and Padres and San Diego. It's always exciting. Miguel Rojas has been part of this for a while now and he joins us as we get ready for first pitch. Mickey, thanks a lot for the time. You always got beautiful swag even during warm ups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying to trying to stay up with with the style. But uh, no, you said, we've been playing really good baseball. Excited to come here to San Diego and uh and face the Padres for the first time of the year. It's always a special series. We all know their rivally the last.
Speaker 3: Couple of years.
Speaker 2: And uh, obviously the fans get all excited and top two for these yeares and you.
Speaker 1: Feel the energy in the streets when you're walking around in the afternoon or when you're coming to the ballpark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard not to.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of fans around it, a lot of excitement, you know. Uh, the whole media kind of like put it out there for us. He's obviously we're in the middle of May. We're trying to grind every single day, trying to get better, trying to take out of the things that we have to take out of inside the loger room, and and everybody separately grinding to kind of get to the best place that they can be.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the.
Speaker 2: Day, we all leave through the fence and the excitement around the league for this kind of series, and it's always it's always good to get to get the excited the excited series during the during the middle of the year because this is the only way that you can actually get ready for October and what you want to accomplish, which is winning our war series.
Speaker 1: Miguel Rojas is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Padres. Dave Roberts has said this a couple of times during the last few days, how you guys are starting to earn the counts that you're getting and that's part of the reason why you're having success. Does that resonate with you as far as earning counts to be able to get into a hitter's advantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've been doing a better job understand and what the pitcher is trying to do to us, not trying to be one dimensional kind of offense, just like waiting for one of our big guys to hit a home run and driving three runs and for us to win the game just because of pitching.
Speaker 3: It's being so good. We're being way.
Speaker 2: More diligent on a student what he's doing in the game, more than just the approach that we have before the game starts, because sometimes we studied this guy and see how they pitched up the the like the different opponents. But it's not we are not the same. You know, sometimes he's gonna trying to do something different and watching the game and paying attention to what he's doing.
Speaker 3: It's being paid off.
Speaker 2: You know, we faced a really good pitcher on Saturday night and the guys did an amazing job. I was just watching on the bench and how how good the approach was with when the game started to go to the third and fourteen, and you know, the guys have put better at bats in the second time through because they they they see it.
Speaker 3: They saw that they were.
Speaker 2: He he wasn't gonna just give in and given strikes to hit early in the count, and you see a lot of guys walk, a lot of guys took hit by pitches standing at bags and then we just want hit later, we scored to runs and we blew the game open. So it was really good to see that series, the last two games against San Francisco, And obviously when we're winning, it's a little bit easier to talk about this stuff, but definitely Dog is seen in the same way that we're feeling it when we're playing.
Speaker 1: I heard the Blue Jays say that there's being pitched so much differently this year than they were last year. Do you feel like you guys are being pitched differently than other teams or differently than a year ago.
Speaker 2: I just feel like everybody, everybody is different when they step in to a play, and I think these guys are trying not to make mistakes against us, and they're.
Speaker 3: Trying to be really careful, and sometimes they're not in.
Speaker 2: So on as much as we try them to be. It seems like they don't care if they walk a couple, you know, So we need to be able to realize that that's what they're trying to do. Take our walks and then let the guy behind you kind of like swing the bad if he needs to, you know. And that's what it's been showing. It's been showing way more people on base, and that's when you get the production.
Speaker 3: You know, not just because of.
Speaker 2: The three room homer that pashit or or you know, like a back to back home runs hit and there, it's just like constantly having men on base, and then you don't have that.
Speaker 3: You don't have to get a hit in that situation.
Speaker 2: You can get you can get a sackfly, you can walk, you can you can do so many things. And that's what I'm talking about when I'm talking about one dimensional way to score runs. But we right now it feels like it's a little bit more complete offense, not just a guy that can actually leave the ball pa or another couple guys that are having a good game and that's why we're winning. But obviously having show here like getting better at bats, a talker and all those guys is obviously gonna help our offense get better.
Speaker 1: To Miguel Rojas is our guest. Before I let you go, I read that you've talked about maybe coming back next year of the Dodgers three peet. But I do follow you on Instagram, very popular Instagram account for Miguel Rojas. And after you put your collage photos the caption at the end, said last dance, Mickey Rowe. So where do you stand on all that? As far as leaving the door open for returning to playing next year, This.
Speaker 3: Is my last year.
Speaker 2: That's that's something that I that I always had that I said last year, this is going to be my last year playing professional baseball, and kind of like, that's the way that I want to see it, you know, I want to see it us coming every single day knowing that that was my last time playing at in your stadium, or or this is my last time playing in this series.
Speaker 3: For you know, for for my career.
Speaker 2: There's one possibility, and it's like winning another championship. I'm going to have to sit down with my wife and real and see what is out there for me, especially with this organization, because I would I wouldn't play for any other team that is not the Dodgers. At this point of my life and my career, my decision is already made that I wanted to go. I wanted to go home, and I want to start pursuing the next chapter of my life and my my professional career, which is helping this team from another standpoint or from another role. So that's that's design you know the only way that I will have a conversation, and this is not one hundred percent, and it have to be both ways kind of like one in the same thing, you know, because I don't know, I don't know what the what the team is gonna want for next year in my position and all that.
Speaker 3: And it's not just me saying that, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Want to come back if we win, because they might have a different, you.
Speaker 3: Know, a different way to go.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's just like, if we win this year, it will be really hard not to have a conversation with my family to try and to get something for next year. But I'm focusing on on this year and enjoy my last time playing baseball because something that I know, as hard as we want, as hard as we work, nothing is guaranteeing this four and we have to earn everything that we that we accomplished. So I'm really humble about that because I mean, even though we won the last couple of Wars series, in one of them, we were one out away from losing it, and uh, it will be a different conversation. I might not have a job, you know, Like if I if I didn't hit that homer, so I'd rather wait until like the season is over and then make conclusions after you after the years old.
Speaker 1: Winning is addicting, that's for sure. Miguel Rojas knows all about that. A back to back World Series champion with the Dodgers. You've earned everything you've gotten, Miguel, and the game has rewarded you. And last dance, Mickey Row, I love it and we will all savor it. And you have it on the glove too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on my glove.
Speaker 2: It's all over the place because I really wanna I really want to enjoy it. And uh, I think I decided it too. I like, I like being humble and all that, but I feel like my career have been a little bit different than what everybody expected. So I'm really proud of myself and I'm really.
Speaker 3: Enjoying this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Somentown's looking good, the game's looking good, the shoes are looking good. Everything's great for Miguel Rojas and the Dodgers. Thank you so much for the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you,