Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on A five seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 1: No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 2: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas, terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith. The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadakas and Matt money Smith. I am Marcona. I am the one ruler.
Speaker 2: Of all the jungle. Marcona's blood is the flood of the jack Warre. I have the power to destroy my enemy.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal.
Speaker 3: Everybody talks about my I'm completely comfortable in who I am as a man.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: I know I can lead men. I know I know the game of football, and I'm passionate about it. I have no fear about are us qualified as somebody else?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 3: I spent fourteen years in the locker room. I wanted to playoffs twelve times.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is Jennifer Love hewittt up next is my new song bare Naked the Wish. I try all things, I achieve what I can.
Speaker 2: Belong to you, Spectrow Somebody Ham five seventy ALA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Remember, between now and the end of the show, gonna give away that three day pass for Beach Live Festival right Downdo Beach May first through third. Heck of a lineup this year Offspring, Slightly Stupid, Duran, Duran, Sheryl Crow, Jones, Jet Chain, Smokers, James Taylor and Moore. Hit up Beachlive Festival dot com for tickets and for information. But we are here at AM five seventy LA Sports and on iHeartRadio, the official audio partner for Beach Life. Keep listening to PMS two day Between now and seven pm, we will give away that three day pass to the Beach Life Festival.
Speaker 1: LA was out, LA will be out in Redondo Beach that whole weekend. Don't forget the scheduled talk that is upcoming David Vass with Chris Taylor and Joe Kelly on Dodger Talk tonight, which is very enticing for the listeners, especially those starved for Dodger content. Tomorrow, Tim Kats will be your host for Houston Texas Tech at eleven am. That's been moved because of the weather. On the East Coast and the Midwest. We have big time NFL football Sunday Pats at Bronchito's and Sunday Night Clippers Brooklyn Nets. That is scheduled. Talk Short and Matt joining us right now on your Southern California and Toyota, Dina celebrity hotline. We've had him on before. It's always great to talk to him. Quinton Lake, Rams safety. I wish you played at Culver's High, but he's too big time. He played it modern day. I'd love to see him as a centaur though of course he was a UCA Brewin like his father before him. Four seasons in the NFL and he's bawling a leader on the Rams defense. Nice extension a few weeks ago. Suffered a dislocated elbow in week eleven, which is a scary injury, but he's right back playing. We're always happy to have him on, and what a great year he's had. Quentin Lake on the Petrosen Money Show. What's cracking, Quentin? How are you doing amazing. That was that was a great intro. It seems like you you've been you've been practicing that.
Speaker 4: That was awesome.
Speaker 1: I practice every day. Quentin. Welcome back, Welcome back, welcome back. That's that's me and the mirror. Uh Quentin. Uh. For you a guy that's been doing this for a little while, obviously, you guys work so hard all year to get to this point and deal with the bumps and bruises and the ups and downs. What's it like during the week when you're right on the edge of it, when you're standing on the precipice, is it like walking on area? Are you nervous? How does it feel?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It feels great. You know. The whole season, you go, you grind you, you know, sweat. You have so many sacrifices during the course of the season, whether it's Trend's family, you know, anybody, and but you do it for all. You do it off of this moment. You know, you look back at how many games we played, how many snaps that we played, you know, the ups and downs of the season, the heartbreaking losses, the amazing victories. But at the same time, all you got to do is take it one step at a time, and we've been able to do that. You know, what I've been telling the guys is understand the magnitude of the game, but don't press. You know, there's a reason why we're here. It's because we've been able to lock in each and every week and handle our business. And now this week is just another opportunity to really show the world what the Rams are capable of, but honestly show the world what each and every person that poured in you, that believed in you, you know, show them right, improve them right, improve everybody else that downed you wrong.
Speaker 2: It's an idea. Just going back to last week Clinton overtime, just remarkable play by Caleb to get that thing into overtime on that fourth down throw and just making sure you buckle down, you know, after the offense isn't able to get it done on it's first possession, knowing it then goes to sudden death. Just kind of walk us through that interception that you guys were able to secure to get that ball to Matthew Stafford and get that win, and kind of how you approach a situation like that after you know, what was an unbelievable play that nobody could have possibly seen coming to get this thing into ot in the first place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the play was amazing because we do nightly meetings before games and we kind of go over things and opportunities that present themselves to allow us to go out in there and make plays as defensive backs, and Cam Curle and our coach, Coach Aubrey plays and do an amazing job of just really buying into the to the preparation. And that was exactly what it was. Cam Curle, we had a nightly meeting. We saw an opportunity to say, hey, if you get this look and you get this route and we're in this cover ridge, you know, play it like this and you'll make a play. And the stars aligned and Cam Crow made one hell of a play and we knew if we gave the ball back to Matthew Stafford, he's going to make some magic happen. We've seen it over the course of the whole season and there's a reason why he has a lot of fourth quarter comebacks, a lot of you know, he's so steady and high pressure moments. And like I said, Cam Crow, he made really it was the game saving play, you know, to put to get the ball back. Make it an amazing catch. First of all, that was an awesome case. He looked like a receiver out there. And then to give the ball back to Matthew Stafford for them to you know, ended in oc It was awesome And I'm so happy for him because I know, you know, the magnitude of that play, the magnitude really of the game. He stepped up to the moment, no doubt.
Speaker 2: What was it like? Just you know, we made a big deal of it out here. We're in La I mean, you're you're born raised here, so I mean, you know, are you at high school here? I mean, you know what it's like. It's supposed to be what nine degrees feels like negative too? Does that affect the way you play it all? Do you have to shake it off? Do you have all the heating equipment on the sidelines to make sure you get warm? Kind of as the game and then you got to play an extra period on top of it? Is it keeps dropping in temperature? What is weather due to the football player out there in a game like that?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: I mean, it was cold. I'm not gonna sit here and say it was cold. But at the end of the day, you know, everybody who's out there on the field has to play in it, and we understood, like your mindset and mentality has to be so strong that the external factors and environment can affect your play. And I think we did a great example of, you know, being able to overcome the challenges that happened with the environment. Yeah it was cold, Yeah it was in the single digits. Yeah you know it was snowing. But at the end of the day, you look at the defensive side of the ball, on the offensive side of the ball, we did what we needed to to win that game. A couple fourth down stops, interceptions, you know, big players on offense, you know, good solid runs. It was great and that's just really a credit to our mindset and mentality going into that week saying, either cold's not going to bother us and we're gonna be ready.
Speaker 1: The one and only Quentin Lake joining us right now on the Petros and Money Show. Big game coming up, Rams versus Seahawks, and this young man is a big part of it. Overcoming that that dislocated elbow. You can do that injury and have some really bad stuff happened, but you didn't have that much damage so you were able to come back. But that's a scary injury. Quentin, How does it feel right now? How did you battle through that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the biggest thing for me was understanding and hoping and beleeding in my team. You know, it was tough and it was scary in that moment. You know, you get it, You're you're in that position a lot, you know, where you're engaged in a blocker. You put your arm out and you try to make a tackle. But unfortunately my arm was just you know, in the wrong place at the wrong time. But through you know, the really month and a half of rehab that I was going to, I always leaned on really my teammates, my family, and really God. You know, there's a there's a Bible verse Matthew six thirty four that says, therefore tomorrow will therefore don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough problem of its own, and that the context in that is just worry about today, you know, worry about the things and be and live in the present moment. You know, I was there were moments where I was like, man, I can't wait to get back, or I'm trying to rushing to get back. But I always had to remind myself just attack today, you know, focus on how can I be the best version of myself? How can I attack this day of rehab. And once you continue to stack days, once you continue to put good days of rehab together, and you see you get more range of motion in your elbow, you get more, You're able to do more. You're able to start running, You're able to start lifting and you know, pushing weights. Those are the small incremental spets that give you the confidence to come back. And you know, when I came back, I felt like I had a lot of confidence. Shout out to you know, everybody, the training staff and everybody that I worked with. But like we talked about and you guys mentioned, it was a scary injury, but that at the same time, I had a lot of confidence and I knew, if this team handles business, I'll be able to come back and play meetingful football in January and hopefully in February two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Quinton, you mentioned this team, you had the team last year. You know, It's just it was really it felt like a coin flip man in that divisional round. Does it feel different this year? When you went into the playoffs, you go in, you know, as a wildcard team this time, as opposed to a division winner having to win three games on the road potentially in order to make it to the Super Bowl. Just kind of were there's similar vibes because it certainly felt like that team last year could have won a Super Bowl as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know it is. It is a little bit of similar vibes. But I would say the difference between this team and last year's team is this is probably the most connected team that I've been on my four years in the NFL. You know, everybody wants to see everybody else around them succeed. You know, we have guys that just mesh well, and you have when you have good people around you, you want to play for them. We have an amazing coaching staff, amazing players, and really just the organization is amazing in general. But it's crazy because you know, there's a little bit of history repeating itself. You look at last year Divisional we didn't have necessarily we were so close to getting and being able to host an NFC championship at home. But luckily this year we handled you know, business for the first two games and now we get a chance to play that play in an NFC championship. Although it's not at home, we still get that opportunity and now it's just being able to capitalize on that. This is probably and I will say, this is my favorite team that I've been on. You know, just the group of guys that we have, everybody in the building. I mean, it's amazing to see and everybody has their own story, which I like to So it's going to be, you know, great on Sunday, but it's already been one one hell of a journey.
Speaker 1: We have The Kicker on a little later today, Quentin this hour, Harrison Nevis is going to join us the Thicker Kicker, which I believe is something that he enjoys being called. I mean, how thick is he? Is he that thick in person?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, probably his legs for sure, but you know he's been knocking it through. He's an awesome guy, and yeah, that that nickname just fits him. Man, he's been I mean, he can he can kick fifties forties and knock him true anytime. So I'm glad. Definitely guy we picked him up and it's shown. I mean, you know, he kicked the game winner last week, this past Sunday, and you know, hopefully he'll have some other opportunities to you know, just kick him straight through. So yeah, tell him when you guys get him on, tell him. I said hello too, Oh.
Speaker 1: We will the thicker kicker, A big country music fan. I believe new to LA. You are not new to LA, as Matt pointed out your time at UCLA. Of course, has Bob Chesney sent you the former player packet? Uh that you're getting like, uh that they're reaching out to everybody anything like that? Quinton? Are they leaving you alone because you're balling so hard in the league?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did save me your care package. I still haven't. I'll open up after the season. You know, this is funny. It was actually before Bob got that though. Oh so, and I got a good relationship with with the guys in EQ. But uh, yeah, you know what it's it's always good to go back to U C. L A. I'll say, what's up to the guys, But you know, I'm excited for what what's gonna go on over there with the Bruins? Should we should be going? They got a good coach, so all.
Speaker 2: Right, let's uh let's get one in here.
Speaker 1: Tim Skipper's package right before he left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got I got the Skipper package, and hopefully I'll get the the new, the new, new and approved package soon.
Speaker 1: Double up, double.
Speaker 2: One for Sunday Clinton. Just general kind of what are what are you looking at? It's your third time, it's the visional game, you know, and six interceptions in the first two games, a win, a loss, and kind of a what are we looking at in this contest? It feels like the two of you, two teams are are pretty darn close.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just gonna be a heavyweight fight. I mean, everybody's looking at this. There's a snowstorm going so a lot of people on the East Coast are gonna be snowed in, probably gonna break record viewerships because everybody's gonna be at home and wearing the primetime slot, which I love, you know, more eyes on us, and for a lot of people, this is gonna be people super Bowl. I mean you look at, really, two of the best teams in the NFL just going at it, and two teams that know each other well, two teams that obviously has played each other twice, and there's been a one point score differential in the yard totally yards has been close too, so it's going to be an amazing game. But on top of that, I will say this for myself, I've only played two quarters in this matchup twice in this total matchup, So i played two quarters in the first game and that's when I got injured in week eleven, and then I missed the Thursday night game. So I'm really excited for this one to really just be able to, you know, help my team call out there and cure victory.
Speaker 1: You get a gallop out there like the Culver City Centaur, half man, half horse. Quentin Lake, Good luck to you, Quentin, God bless you and your family. Thank you for joining us and being so thoughtful in the middle of something very important going on. Stay healthy and good luck to you. May you guys find yourselves in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you guy so much having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Quentin Lake, lovely young man. Ready for the challenges that arise and ready to open up that Tim Skipper care package and awaiting the Bob Chesney care package. Tim Kats has to create his own UCLA care package at the outlets in Cavazon cavon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice little under armor polo package.
Speaker 1: Do you like it? I bought it myself.
Speaker 2: Give you a discount on the potluck meal out here and lot c thanks. Oh how about a tumbler and some stickers are throwing there for myself. Oh that's a bad time. There you go, got that right at the register.
Speaker 1: Huh, Quentin Lake, thank you, thank you. We will have a top story of the day. NFL related is the Petrosen Money Frogman Friday. NFL Hour of Power continues. Matt Smith next, and then Harrison Meavis the Thicker Kicker.
Speaker 2: This is Petrosend Money on to Mann.
Speaker 1: It's a Frogman Friday on petros and Money. Thanks for listening. Man, get the petro Send Money show wherever you want on the iHeartRadio app Bring me on till seven. And then David Vassa with Dodger Top, Joe Kelly and Chris Taylor. Friends and lovers of yesteryear will join Vassay. You might want to bring your lover to Beach Life. Let's give away the tickets right now. Man, I think I got enough?
Speaker 2: Heck, yeah, you got enough?
Speaker 1: What I think? I fill up my underwear enough to do it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You got the balls to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got the balls. You've got the money. Eight six six s. Coller number four is going to the Beach Live Festival. It's back this year Redondo Beach first through the third, featuring performances by Duran Duran.
Speaker 2: Oh, Duran Duran. They're gonna play.
Speaker 1: Wab Boys, never loose, It's possible. What else you got the offspring?
Speaker 2: Oh? Your favorite dude? You talk about keep them separated all the time.
Speaker 1: None of my favorites. James Taylor, JT Chine, Smokers, Jones, Jet Without the Blackhearts and more. Head to Beachlve Festival dot com for tickets and info, M five seventy LA Sports and iHeartRadio, the official audio partner of the Beach Life Festival. It is time for the Top Story of the day, Top Story.
Speaker 2: Of it Well, NFL Power Hour Pee, Let's focus on the NFC Championship Game Super Bowl participant in town. The last time they met, Matthew Stafford, likely his signature performance of his MVP resume, torched the number one defense in the NFL four one hundred and fifty seven yards, three touchdowns, zero interceptions, nine point three per attempt. PUKA was unstoppable, sixteen targets, twelve catches, two hundred twenty five yards nineteen per grab, two touchdowns. Uh, Seattle did what they do. They took away the run. You've talked about it repeatedly. That is what Sean McVay wants to do. Everything operates and revolves around his run game. But McVeigh used someone in the conversation as the best player in football, not Matthew Stafford Pooka Nakua to even out that battle. You look at all of the snaps and there were things that were apparent and how productive he was. He lined up all over the field, He was in motion a lot. Early in the game, he got Devin Weatherspoon on him. Witherspoon one of the best cover corners in the league, and McVeigh got after that immediately started moving him away from Witherspoon onto Josh Job and coverage, and that is where he went to work. Fourth and five, he makes a great grab in front of Joe at the Seattle thirtyffering he is and boy did he suffer. Let me tell you, you want to talk about wearing it and still having to keep your conviction that you could keep doing this. That was this game repeatedly, he beats the opposite corner fifty three yards for a big gainer, a forty three yard touchdown, nearly a sixty two yard touchdown tackled at the three yard line against the safety Kobe Bryant. Point being that I would assume that the Seahawks coach Mike McDonald, who runs the same defense Jesse Minner did here with the Chargers. Not a lot of mandaman, not a lot of moving your best corner to shadow their best receiver. But you go back and watch that game, and that's probably the only way it's going to happen, because unless it was Witherspoon on him when Stafford tried to go to Nicooa but he was covered or went into Koula and the pass was broken up, when you've got a berth to the Super Bowl on the line, I would be very surprised if there was not a little bit of an adjustment coming from McDonald, considering the drastic difference in Nikoua's production when Devin was on him versus when he wasn't. The number three rush defense raking is as advertised, and good thing about the Rams in that game is they did not abandon the run. They had fifty three dropbacks for Stafford four hundred and fifty seven yards, as we mentioned, but they still ran a thirty nine times. It just was not efficient. Credit McVeigh for trying to keep it balanced. Three point two per carry overall, Kyron Williams three per carry on twenty three for seventy yards along of eight Blake Korum fourteen for forty eight at three point four with a long of nine. I would assume they're gonna have to get that to pick up if they're gonna win that game on Sunday. But really, going through those two games, it feels like this is less about the rams and what they need to do.
Speaker 1: Did you grind that tape, Matt? Is that I was able.
Speaker 2: I was able to grind the tape, pe and you don't need to grind the tape because we mentioned this in NaNs on Wednesday. What you see is there's one X factor in both of these games, and it's Sam Darnold throwing picks. He threw two touchdowns and six interceptions in the two games they won. One of those dominated the box score, in the other they lost twenty one to nineteen. In a game he threw four interceptions and zero four interceptions, zero touchdowns. They gave the Rams a first in goal from the three, a turnover at their own twenty five the Seattle twenty five. Both resulted in two of the Rams three touchdowns that day. The rest of their drives turnover on downs. They had a ten play touchdown drive one two four to three and outs, a fumble, and a four play, five play and five play punt. The interceptions is what gave them that. With four interceptions and the Seahawks got the ball with a minute forty one left at their own one yard line, Donald was able to drive them to the Rams forty three and Myers who was there? Jason Myers, their field goal kicker career long of sixty one, attempted a sixty one yarder, so winnable game, but ended up missing the kick as time expired. Again. That is a four interception game from Sam Darnold, But that Seattle defense was so good dominated time of possession thirty eight to twenty two, first downs twenty six to twelve yards four to fourteen to two forty nine, but the four interceptions the difference. Donald had fourteen picks this year, six of them over forty percent were against this. Chris Shula led Rams defense, so stop the run forced Donald to throw create those turnovers that he has been so apt to offer up this season. And there's a lot of scar tissue there that you can pounce on. Not just these two games this.
Speaker 1: Year, but right now, you wish that I saw it.
Speaker 2: I wish that you'd seen it.
Speaker 1: You wish that I saw scar tissue that you wish.
Speaker 2: That I issued that I wish you saw, mister, know it all not just these two games be but that's scar tissue that I wish you saw. It goes back to last year's wild card. Remember Sam Donald took a fourteen win Minnesota team into Los Angeles in the Wildcard round and promptly took nine sacks through an interception lost to fumble, and the Vikings were hammered twenty seven to nine. After that fourteen win season, they win that game and maybe another, and it's likely Darnald is back in Minnesota this year for the Vikings. Instead, he had that wildcard game, the high stakes game the week prior against the Lions that determined who won the division and was the number one seed and who went to the wildcard round. He played awful football as well, and that is why they became the wildcard and that is probably why he is in Seattle. He has had a Pro Bowl caliber season, but again, interceptions are still lurking on the Sam Donald resume, the oblique injury that he is nursing. Did not have to do a lot last week, just seventeen dropbacks, twelve completions, one hundred and twenty four yards and a touchdown, but the team still scored forty one points. Kenneth Walker rushed for three touchdowns. They got a kick return touchdown from Rashid Shaheed to open up the game. The Rams in that last game in Week sixteen that decided and this is probably a big thing for Sam Darnald, you know, considering he lost that game that decided the division last year and had to go on the road as a wild card team. He ends up winning it this year, a game the Rams had a ninety nine percent win probability, up sixteen points with minutes left to play, and yet somehow Sam Darnold got the victory.
Speaker 1: Wow, how's that even possible?
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 1: It's almost like that number didn't mean anything at the.
Speaker 2: End of the you know, it means everything until it doesn't. The Rams got a few demons of their own to exercise.
Speaker 1: They have nothing to blow it at the end of the game because mcveigh's too cute with his play calling.
Speaker 2: Ways have you been grinding tape two? Haven't you?
Speaker 1: No? I just know a flip play on the goal line. It doesn't work, looks really bad.
Speaker 2: They have not been sharp in the first two rounds, but they have managed to buckle down when they needed to. The interception to save the game in overtime in Chicago last week, a game winning drive after falling behind in Carolina with two minutes to go. That probably is not going to work against a team as good as Seattle with this defense, the best unit left in these playoffs, better perhaps slightly than the Rams offense. It'll be a hell of a showdown. It's the best offense left in the postseason against the best defense left in the postseason. Rams oh versus Seattle du and speaking of that Seattle D. I will take the points and bank on the Rams getting to Darnold again and playing in Super Bowl sixty as heavy favorites over the Patriots or the Bronco.
Speaker 1: I just hope nobody falls off the stage while Stafford's accepting his praise from all ten thousands in town.
Speaker 2: Now listen, if someone does, Stafford is going to go. Matthew Stafford is going to go help them, but his wife is going to tell him not to leave it. Matthew, leave it. We need you over here. But there's a maiden in distress.
Speaker 1: That's not what happened with matt Stafford, he said. I said, to believe it. He walked away. I said, leave it. White History.
Speaker 2: Quickly to the game that we will have here kick off at noon on Sunday, Patriots versus Broncos. Sadly, bo Nick's broke an ankle on the penultimate play in the victory over the Bills, so it will be Jarrett Stidham that will be at quarterback. I saw what it looks like against the Patriots when you have a dominant defense but no offense, and the Broncos defense is as good as the Seahawks, darn near close to it, it doesn't work. The Chargers defense was lights out against Drake May. They allowed just sixteen points. They forced an interception, they forced a lost fumble, and they could not do a damn thing with it because their offense was not able to execute against this. Mike Rabel coach Patriots de Texans were the same. Houston's up ten to seven in the second quarter. They force a fumble by Drake May and C. J. Stroud throws three interceptions in four possessions. You blink and they are down twenty one to ten. So I will go Patriots to get the win. Quite a Patriots team that was four and thirteen last year is going to be in Super Bowl sixty in two weeks, perhaps taking on the Rams a rematch of the Jyrup.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a foregone conclusion to you, Matt Well, I said I gotta be in a Super Bowl. I mean, we had the game on the station. You telling people not to listen. You're telling us what's gonna happen. Tony Romo telling us what's gonna happen. People don't want to know.
Speaker 2: I could say I think this is what's gonna happen. But if I just say it's gonna happen, then people know that's what I think. Broncos, Sorry, would I like it to be Seahawks? Broncos? Sure, Let's see if we can get our first ever zero touchdown super Bowl. You know, a nice three to two or six to three win would be something, But I don't envision that happening. I think it'll end up being Rams Patriots in Super Bowl sixty, which I still believe you will be able to be. You will be able to hear here Sunday, February eighth, the national broadcast of the Super Bowl, even if the Rams are in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't either, but I would assume you wait, super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I'm checking with the judges, and the judges say yes the Rams. Yes, national broadcast would play here.
Speaker 2: We just have to play the visit Rwanda feed.
Speaker 1: Oh it's my favorite feed. We'll be back with more petros and money, and they'll turn the machetes from each other to the coffee beans. We'll have Harrison me this Rams kicking sensation will join us next. Yes, the thicker kicker with two c's in thick, because that's how the kids like to spell it. Because if you like them thick with about that, well, I wouldn't say that. Southern California's most listened to sports talk show, Send Money on Demand.
Speaker 2: PTRO Some Money Ham five seventy LA Sports. We are Alive everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Remember, we are your home of NFL football. Super Bowl sixty will be heard right here Sunday, February eighth. We are your home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers as well, but pe right now, we focus on the football. M I z co ou he said it.
Speaker 1: I'll be damned, he said it. Joining us right now, a young man that has grabbed the hearts and minds of people way beyond Ventura County and northern Los Angeles and in the entire LA basin. He came from Missoo. He's bounced around a little, but he kicked four years at missou Zoo and now the Thicker Kicker as they call him, has taken over LA and helped carry the Rams to the championship game. Joining us now in your Southern California celebrity Hotline brought to you by Toyota, is Harrison MeVis, the kicker for the Rams. Very exciting big game coming up this weekend, and we're proud to have him taking LA by storm. What's cracking? Harrison? Welcome to the show. How are you.
Speaker 4: How's it going? Oh?
Speaker 1: Everything's pretty good?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Oh We're very thrilled to have you, and it's been fun watching you and your story is a great story. Obviously, whenever the NFL playoffs get this late, a lot of stories start to emerge and and a great character is revealed. Just tell us a little bit about what the year has been like for you and what a whirlwind it's been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's been different for sure, just starting you know, obviously I didn't started off the year off that the UFL with the Birmingham Stallions the spring did really well, then signed with the Jets with them through preseason in few two weeks and then and now I'm here halfway through the year and Rams kicked me up and man, I mean exactly where I feel like I should be and I'm helping the same win. So it's been it's been a lot.
Speaker 2: Of fun, Harrison. They pick you up in November. For for people that don't know, it's one thing to be in a practice squad or whatever, like what are you doing? Uh until the Rams make that call and you land on their practice squad and then a couple days later or kicking in a big win over the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, just staying ready for the moment, and even when, like even at the Jets, you know, I was preparing to play like I was playing on that Sunday. So it's just preparing, continuing to do the same routine, kicking three days a week, and just getting that mindset ready to play, play a game and help a team win whatever that may be.
Speaker 2: Is it hard when you're waiting for that call and it's already November, because you know, we always hear it's a very mental game, a mental position. I should say, Uh, how do you keep yourself ready? What is it that you're you're keeping an eye? Are you watching football? You're watching red zone every week? Are you following box scores? Like what are you doing to kind of keep tabs on who might be calling you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm watching. I watch a lot of football. I just was constantly watching games on Sunday, Monday, you know, in those Thursday night games. So it just just watching a lot of football, staying already, keep taking it one day at a time because he's never known what's gonna happen, and it only takes one opportunity, And you know, I think that's that's kind of where I jumped at it.
Speaker 1: So football players do move around a little bit. Kickers move around more than most football players, and kicking is kind of the same everywhere, I would imagine, but the culture of a franchise is different. What do you notice is different about the Rams from other places that you've been. Why is Sean McVay such a successful guy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's been a blast. Definitely different from obviously a couple of different teams that I was on. This team is very connected. It's very much so, a very close brotherhood. Everyone's rooting on each other. We're i mean, winning solves everything. We've won a lot of games, so I think, uh, I think we're just it's just a very tight knit group. And again, and give credit to Sean, John Gun's done a fantastic job and it's unbelievable watch of him work and miss coaching staff they're there. It's a fantastic group.
Speaker 2: You kicked in the preseason before, but kind of take us through that. That first game, it's a it's a division game. You're you're playing the most competitive division in the NFL, and you go, I think forty nine ers and then Seahawks was the next week. Just kind of what was what was working through you? And and did it help that it was all extra points that first game?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think, uh yeah, I think you're obviously I think it was good good to get in.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: NFC is obviously a tough conference this year. Every game matters, and every game is going to be close. So every kick matter is in a sense. So whether that's Pats shield goals, my mindset's it's all the same. I mean it's Pats are thirty three yards away, so I mean, yeah, the same as most field Gles's about the average Feld goals. That's uh, you can't take anything for granted, any tackets, Like everythils the same, whether that's a Pat or a six yard goo goal.
Speaker 4: So that's the mindset, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Harrison, Harrison me miss the Thicker Kicker. Of course, everybody in LA is coming to know him. Joining us right now on the Petros and Money Show. The Rams in the playoffs, very exciting against the Seahawks, It's going to pop off. It's gonna be a wild game. It's going to come down to something crazy, and I bet you the Thicker Kicker is going to be involved. And Harrison is ready for the moment. But it is a lonely life as a kicker harrison, not just a moving from team to team, but also you know, the skill guys can do their seven on seven and run around in their underwear, and the offensive and defensive line guys can go work on the different machines and stuff like that. But do you have a kicker buddy when you're preparing in the off season and in different places or you always all alone? You know?
Speaker 5: When I obviously I was now with the Jads, I was, I went back to Colombia, Missouri, That's where I'm at, and I trained on my own. I trained with my brother a little bit as well, he's kicking too. I did a little bit of TrackMan work, so just getting a ball, speed, ball height, line of the scrimmage and all that sort of work. So yeah, no, just kind of a lot on my own and just continuing to train and dial in everything that I you know, set goals for early in the year.
Speaker 1: Do you listen to music when you're out there kicking by yourself or do you just let nature take over and the boom of your foot on the ball. What's it like out there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I have I have listened to music. I got a jbl'll boom box, I take out their men occasion, and you know you can put crowd noise, you can put whatever you want music, country music, any any type of any.
Speaker 1: Of that sort country music.
Speaker 4: Why not have fun? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harrison, let's get to the big one forty two yards over time. How it's over time and now it's sudden death. So I assume you're prepping yourself as soon as that interception is secured. Kind of as we talked about a second ago. You know, just the mental side of the game. What are you doing to get prepared for that kick in those conditions with that much at stake?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think you know, it comes back to great players don't rise to the occasion. They fall back on their training. As drink Witz would say, Yuzuri, I've been getting ready for that moment since since I started kicking, and it's all just about trusting your training and trusting that muscle memory that I have. I wouldn't say that it was that moment that we were in sudden death when I was getting ready for that. I've stayed ready and I've been ready for that moment, and it's just another field goal, and it's just me and the ball, so I just gotta put the ball through the up right. So that's that's kind of where I was at.
Speaker 1: Speaking of your coach, one of our guys here interviewed him, coach drank Witz, for a game on the radio National Radio, and at the end of the interview he said, you know m I Z. And we didn't know that you're supposed to say, you know my you know zo. Yeah, we didn't know that. Is that like a thing or is that something you guys started doing like we had? I mean, I've been to Columbia, but I was not aware that that is that that's how we communicate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I.
Speaker 5: Mean that's uh, that's our that's like our thing. That's like the school's uh schools little thing that we do. I think a lot of schools do stuff like that. But that's what we've done.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you know we we we ended up looking pretty stupid in front of drink with very unfortunate bro.
Speaker 5: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: How often did last one for you? Harrison? How often do you throw an M I Z out there? How often does that happen in your daily life these days?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I saw out occasionally whenever I see fans, it was like, you know, everyone's there's Tiger fans all over. So occasionally you'll get at a game, you'll get obviously, when I'm back in Columbia, you'll have to throw it out there, so I.
Speaker 4: Do it quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tiger's never sleep. Love it all right, great Harrison mevs. We wish you lucky young man. It's been great to see your rise and your success and may you kick for many many years here in the city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: M I Z appreciate it. Thank you, Zel you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said it go all right, we go, We'll be back, mort Petro said Money. Another hour of great sports talk on AM five seventy LA Sports. That was our NFL Hour Power featuring Quentin Lake, Harrison Mevs. An NFL legendary play by play voice, Matt Money Smith