Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are back in California, first out of the Exhibition Freeway Series here in Anaheim, and were joined by a man that came to camp with a minor league contract and performed and earned his way onto the Dodgers opening day roster, and that's former All Star Santiago Espinal. Santiago, thanks for the time and congratulations.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you guys for the opportunity. Thank God first and you know, excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Obviously you knew you were good enough to make this roster, but now that it's official, now that it's here, when you look back on your spring, how did you do it?
Speaker 2: I mean just being prepared, you know, being prepared mentally ready. And also you know that's why I work in the off season as well. You know, I came to a winning organization who back to back championship. But you know, my questions that I ask myself every day is how can I add to the championship team? You know, and That's what I've been doing. How can I do it offensively? Defensively? You know, I play multiple position. I can do a lot of things with the bat two as well. So that's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: That's another part of this equation. It's not like you're joining a team that finished fourth place. You're joining the team that's went back to back championships. Obviously they believe you're a championship player too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and I appreciate that too as well. You know, But you know, job is not done. You know, Spring training just in the past. You know. Now, I just gotta keep doing my thing, being consistent everything that I do, you know, defensively and offensively. So we're ready for it.
Speaker 1: You obviously are aware of the situation. You're not going to play every day. How do you stay ready now to be able to contribute?
Speaker 2: You know, I've been five almost six years in the big leagues. You know, I've been doing it for a long time, I feel, and you know, all I can do is control whatever I can control. Make sure that I'm prepared whenever my name is called, make sure my name is called when my name is called. Being prepared, and that's all it is. Just be prepared.
Speaker 1: The big guy just ran by show hal Tani. What's it been like to get to experience being on the same side as him.
Speaker 2: It's been cool. You know, I face him, my love, I play against him a last so you know, being on the same team, I'll be able to watch the Homers, you know, all the loud noises and stuff like that. So it's been cool.
Speaker 1: Is it something different to see what his personality's like because he has a good sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean it's different. Also, it's different the way he prepares. He barely have time for himself, you know, so there's something something that you can pick up. So, you know, from one of the best players in the game, maybe the best players in the game. You know, he's the best player in the game. So what I see his routine, the way he prepared, he doesn't even have time, you know. So as you can see, he was just out there throwing. Now he's going inside. He probably gonna go ahead, and then by the time he's done, he probably gotta hear a little and then ready for the you know. So that's his daily you know. And I and I and I thought myself and I was asking myself, I'm like, how did he do it? You know, how did he do it? But he does it every day and it's it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Santiago Espinal is our guest before I let you go. You're a proud Dominican. Did you see the big future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse today?
Speaker 2: I saw him, but I didn't want to bother him too. So it was a cool moment though that I met him when I was a rookie. I think it was back in twenty twenty twenty one. That's when I met him, and when he was with the Cardinals again, and you know, being seeing him in the locker room to us where it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that's the one and only Albert Poolholes. So people still can't believe that I gave Teo Albert a hug because he was giving all the Dodgers' hugs that year, so I said, hey, big home run, I think I'm going to give him a hug too on TV, And to this day, I get the to Albert hug every time we see each other.
Speaker 2: That's cool, man, that's good, especially from a legend like that Hall of Fame and then, uh, you know, great guy and uh you know, those hulks probably have a lot of hits and a lot of homers on it, so it's cool.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you for the time, and I can't wait to see the Tioscar Hernandez sunflower seeds coming your way all year long.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's do it. Thank you.