Speaker 1: This is world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, riga running.
Speaker 1: Back hosted by Dodgers in signer David Basset.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, three pet in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycled beverage Containers, make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven in and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to off Night Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And we do have phone lines open tonight at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, we are going to be Jones joined by Joe Kelly. That's right, Mariachi. Joe Kelly, the king of the Inland Empire and the king of free sets that you see riverside at the Ontario Tower Buzzers and Anaheim Ducks Games, is going to join us. So you'll hear Joe Kelly coming up at seven point thirty. Also, you will get an update on Mookie Bets. We shared it with you after yesterday's game. We'll share it with you again. And you might have heard of the quotes from Nico Horner saying that he wished he would have done something about Dalton rushing bad mouthing one of his teammates, Miguel Emaya. Well he didn't, and the Nico Horner was on one of the Cubs or excuse me, Chicago sports talk shows, and I'll let you hear how it came out, and it's even worse than reading the quote. So we'll get to all that coming up in a little bit. But first, just want to make the big announcement as next Thursday, May seventh, we have another off day Dodger Talk show and we are going to be on location with our good friends at Downy Hunday. That's right, we are going to have Dodger Talk next Thursday, May seventh, from seven to eight pm at Downy Hunday. Now here's the important part. You want to come out at four o'clock because Alex Vesia is going to join us in person from four to five o'clock next Thursday at Downy Hunday located at seven five five zero Firestorm Boulevard, seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard. I'll be out there hosting Dodger Talk. Alex Vesia will be out there from four to five o'clock. And it's not just about the cars at Downy Hunday. It's about the experience. Our guy Sam who owns Downy Hunday, He's a guy that isn't just about selling you a car. He's about making you part of the family and having an incredible experience. It's like a nightclub at this car dealership, Downy Hundai and Alex Vesia and Dodger Talk is going to be out there. We're gonna have hot dogs, We're gonna have drinks. It's going to be a party from four to five o'clock next Thursday, May seventh at Downy Hunday. Me, Alex Vesia and you at Downey Hunday next Thursday, May seventh. So looking forward to that next week, and we have a big hour of Dodger Talk coming up as we lead you into a six game road trip that will take the Dodgers from Saint Louis to Houston tomorrow. Our coverage begins at four o'clock with Tim Kaits and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch in Saint Louis between the Dodgers and Cardinals at five point fifteen Emmitt Shean against left hander Matthew Libertor and the Cardinals are surprisingly good, at least through the first month of the season. They are just coming off a four game sweep of the Pirates in Pittsburgh. The Cardinals are part of the best division record wise in baseball. The NL Central top to bottom does not have a team under five hundred. The Reds are twenty and eleven leading the Central, while the Pirates, after losing four in a row to the Cardinals in five overall, are a five hundred team in last place. At sixteen and sixteen, the Cardinals are just two games back of the Reds. They're eighteen and thirteen after coming off that sweep of the Pirates, including beating Paul Schemes. Today, they beat the Pirates ten to five on a day that Paul Skins made a start for Pittsburgh. So Saint Louis is hot. They can hit home runs. They've hit the fifth most home runs in the National League. The Dodgers have hit forty five, they lead the National League and Major League Baseball. So just to put it into context, the Dodgers as a team have hit forty five home run while the Cardinals have hit forty one. So they can beat you with the long ball. Guys like Jordan Walker, who is finally having a breakout year, is having a big year for Saint Louis. But the Cardinals pitching is awful. They have a four to seventy six staff er, which is near the bottom of the National League, and they have allowed thirty seven home runs this year. That's the fourth most of any staff in the National League and part of the reason why their run differential, despite having forty one home runs and being eighteen and thirteen, is a minus three. The Dodgers run differential, just to show you the best compared to the rest, the Dodgers run differential is a plus sixty six, which is tied with the Atlanta Braves for the best in baseball. So there you have a tail of the tape coming up starting tomorrow night between the Dodgers and Cardinal And look, I said this yesterday, I get this all the time people ask me, where's your favorite city to go with the Dodgers too, what's your favorite city? Well, how about this, I'll tell you my five worst cities that I don't like going to, and Saint Louis would be right at the top. Saint Louis there's not much to do there. Okay, yeah, you ate some barbecue, congrats. What else are you gonna do? Not much. That's why everybody from the Midwest, like Saint Louis, Iowa. They all come to Manhattan Beach for like six months and spend all their life savings on three thousand dollars a month rent and take selfies and take pictures of the sunset at the pier and post them on social media to prove to all their Midwest friends that they made it. And then they sheepishly put their head down and go back to Saint Louis. There's a reason why everybody leaves Saint Louis to come to Manhattan be when they have a chance. So Saint Louis is right at the top of my bottom five in Major League cities, Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland are the others. So there you have it. Everybody always asked me, where should I go? Where should I take a road trip to see the Dodgers. I just gave you the five. You shouldn't unless you're trying to check off all thirty cities. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight. By the way, driving home yesterday, Look, can I just remind everybody the Dodgers record is twenty and eleven. They're tied for the second best record in Major League Baseball with a few other teams. The Braves have the best record in baseball at twenty two and ten. But if you were listening to the show before me, the Panic Brothers yesterday after the game, and look, it's not pretty to lose to the Marlins. But the Marlins that was there were series. They've only made the playoffs four times in their thirty three year franchise history. That meant a lot more to them than it did to the Dodgers, beating them two out of three. But nonetheless, the offense is in a bad place, no doubt. The starting pitching and the bullpen have been the biggest reasons why the Dodgers have a twenty and eleven record, the offense is cooled off considerably, and you hope that going on this road trip will spark something. But if you listen to Petro some Money aka the Panic Brothers, you would think you were listening to Philadelphia Sports Radio or New York Sports Radio where the Phillies just fired their manager. And maybe it's a simulcast of Weei. I mean that's the way they were making it sound yesterday and earlier today. Oh, five and five in their last ten games, five and seven in their last twelve, which is all true, but they still have a twenty and eleven record. Is would you rather be the Dodgers at twenty and eleven or would you rather be the Phillies who just fire their manager or the Red Sox who are completely dysfunctional and fire the best manager this side of la Or would you rather be the Mets who spend a half billion dollars in are ten and twenty one, eleven and a half games back of the Braves. Yeah, I'd rather be the Dodgers. And I think the Dodgers have a track record now over the last fourteen years to prove they know how to navigate a regular season. So they're doing all this without Blake Snell, without Brock Stewart, without Evan Phillips on their pitching staff, and now Edwin Diaz, and they're doing this offensively without having Tommy Edmund, without having kek Hernandez, and without having their starting shortstop, a guy by the name of Mookie Betts. So all things considered, the Dodgers are doing really well. So don't fall into the panic trap of the panic bros that are on from three to seven. All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, you'll hear from Nico Horner, who just sounded spineless talking about what he should do what he didn't do with Dalton Rushing. And you also hear from Mookie Bets, who gave us an update on where he's at with that strained right obleak. And at the bottom of the hour you see riverside Zone. Joe Kelly will join us as we take it at eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Dodger Baseball off and running as we head into May, that's supposed to be the month that O'tani takes off that's what he told me in Toronto. May is his month. And as the Dodgers embark on this road trip that begins in Saint Louis tomorrow on May first, O'tani will be leading off and dhing and last year in the month of May, Otani hit more home runs than any other month last season fifteen Otani home runs last May. So we'll see whether or not he's right. He is starting to heat up, he is starting to have better at batso he knows himself better than anybody. So we'll see how this month of May treats show. Hey Otani and the Dodgers, who are twenty and eleven in first place in the nlst with the second best record in the National League to only the Atlanta Braves, who will be at Dodger Stadium a week from tomorrow. So we'll see the two best teams in the National League to begin this season next Friday night at Dodger Stadium. And we hope you're out there to join us, because it's not just a game, as you know, it's an event these days for Dodger Baseball. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Steven in Los Angeles. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi, Steven, how you doing.
Speaker 3: How are you? Thanks for having me on tonight. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk a little bit about show Hey being and the Dodgers being fluid about moving show Hey in the order, and this is the reason. In twenty twenty four they put show Hey in the leadoff spot to put him in the best position possible, and what happened. He've made history fifty to fifty club first person ever. Now we have him as a pitcher, I want to see him in the best position possible because he is the heir apparent to Clayton Kershaw, and I want to see show Hey win a cy young as a Dodger. So if they can put the focus on whatever can put him in the best position to do that, he will accomplish if all greatness with the Dodgers, and I feel like that's where the focus should be. They did it back then with hitting. I think they need to focus it now on pitching and put him in the order where he can have the most rest and the best chances.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you something, Steven. Let's say Otani is sitting just for the sake of argument third in the lineup on the night that he's pitching. What's to say that he's at Dodger Stadium, he's pitching right closes out the top of the fifth inning, and his spot is leading off the bottom of the fifth inning. How is that any different than leading off the bottom of the first inning as the first hitter. So there are My point is there are going to be points in time in the game where he may be leading off the inning after he's done pitching.
Speaker 3: Yes, I understand. I think he's getting more advaced as a leadoff hitter, so I feel like at the end of the day he might be able to get more rest. And also I think he might even incur more RBIs in the third spot, so I feel like there's a given a take there and I feel like he might get more rest. That was my point on why I think he would maybe be in third.
Speaker 2: I feel like I wouldn't say he's getting more Yeah, I think rest is the wrong word. I would say he's getting more of a breather to ease into the game by not being the first guy up and I'm actually on board with you, Steven. On the nights that Otani pitches, I would have when he comes back, Mookie Betts lead off and have Otani hit third.
Speaker 3: I agree completely one hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, Steven, thanks for the phone call. Appreciated. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of Mookie Bets, I want to share with you what Mooki Bets had to say yesterday before the game, because it felt like before the last road trip, Mooki was very upbeat and optimistic that things were going in the right direction for his strained right oblique. But yesterday, his mood, his demeanor, his answers were a lot different than when I spoke to him before Denver. So here was Mookie Betts yesterday when I caught up with him after he was done doing some shortstop drills. I mean, I don't really know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just kind of wake up and see how it feels. Obliques turning something you really kind of mess with, you know, So when it feels good, then we keep progressing. But then if not, then we'll kind of take a rest day or whatever. But I mean we're getting closer. I mean starting to swing and add on a little intensity. Last time I added on some intensity with VP, it got sore after, so.
Speaker 2: You know, we just gotta slowly.
Speaker 4: So that's really the last piece, is just adding on a velocity, like hitting off the machine and everything. But I think I've kind of started to turn the corner to where every day I'm starting to wake up and it feels good.
Speaker 2: Do you think you could trust to just go to that next step?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We hate yesterday, hit today.
Speaker 4: I think we'll just keep slowly progressing, hitting you know, coach BP, and once that feels good and add on to you know, the next step to velosity. Last time I hit coach BP, I was kind of sore the next day, So I don't know, probably next day or so, I'll probably hit VP again and then we'll just take a step by step. It's just one of those things where actually it's kind of the opposite. It hasn't taken as long. I'm I'm actually kind of ahead of where most obliques are. But the boys have been playing well and so I don't have to overly rush back. I have to make sure I can. They're doing everything they need to do, so.
Speaker 2: I know you're really close with Ac. Have you had a chance to talk to him since what happened in Boston?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, that's that. Ain't got nothing to do with me, and I'll stay out of that.
Speaker 2: All right. Mookie Betts does not want to get into the Boston drama. But look, he has said repeatedly how close he was to Alex Kra and how much Alex Kra means to him. And that's what prompted my question because that was the first time he was available since Alex Korra got fired. But we got a lot out of Mooki, who was at the Laker game last night, saw the Rockets climb back into the series. But Mooki, if you go back and listen to how he sounded when I caught up with him before the previous road trip, he was more optimistic and upbeat. But he's in week three of this strain ride obleak rehab, so maybe towards the end of the next homestand when the Dodgers are in Anaheim, possibly he may return. So we'll see how Mooki's feeling when the Dodgers get back from Saint Louis and Houston. Eight nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number you're listening to Off day Dodger Talk with David Vasse. We're with you until eight o'clock. We have two lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Coming up in five minutes, you'll hear from Joe Kelly Mariachi. Joe Kelly never short on opinions when it comes to anything baseball, So we'll ask Joe Kelly about the whole Otani pitching and hitting combo. Coming up in five minutes. But I want to get to Nico Horner. I love that Petros called Dalton Rushing basically mister April, because he gave us a lot to talk about. In the month of April, with a team that is so good and rushing finally getting some opportunities to play. He got forty four at bats in the month of April. He hit three p forty one. He has a twelve eighty four ops in the month of April. He has the second most home runs on the team to Max Munsey, who plays every day, Rushing seven home runs to Munsey's nine and rushing can you believe in just one month drove in seventeen runs. He's unbelievable with runners in scoring position. He has been outstanding with runners in scoring position. In the month of April. He has eleven hits this year with runners in scoring position. And not only did he create he had a stir with his play on the field, but also his fiery attitude. He's an emotional player. That's what I heard about him when he was in the minor leagues. He has an edge to him. Sometimes it goes a little too far, like we have seen. But if you go back to this month, starting in Denver, when he chose his words poorly, saying the Rockies were doing something fishy in an inning against Will Klein, Well, what he meant to say is they probably had Klein's pitches. They weren't cheating, but everybody took it as if they were doing a little bit something more and that's not what he meant. And then in San Francisco, fiery emotional play at the play tags out Jung Hu Lee for the final out in a big spot, and he's emotional and he said f it, he said FM. And look in a day and age where everybody's upset about how friendly opposing players are now you're gonna get on Dalton Rushing for being fiery and not want to help the guy out. And then you know, probably shouldn't have said that. I've gathered that from his teammates. They said, I probably shouldn't have said that, and that's why he got hit by a pitch from Brandon Webb or excuse me, Logan web And then he decided he was angry and he slid a little too hard into Willia Domas. His teammates said, he probably shouldn't have done that. And then this past homestand when he tried to throw out the Cubs Miguel E. Maaya, he basically called him a fat guy, and in different words. And Nico Horner was the cub at the plate when Rushing tried to throw out a Maya a second Amaya was safe and Rushing upset and said what he probably shouldn't have said. And it seems like everything he says somehow the camera is zooming in on his lips for everybody to read. And here was Nico Horner a couple of days ago on Chicago's sports talk radio The Score six seventy. Here's what Nico Horner said, Because if you go back and look at that replay, he's looking at rushing and he shocked. And here's what Nico Horner said about what he should have done but didn't have the guts to do.
Speaker 6: You heard it out loud, what he seemed to say about Miguel Amaya. Did we read his lips right on that one?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, I wish that I had confronted him a little more directly. To be honest, I was pretty taken him back and in the middle of my bat and it was just kind of a strange thing to experience.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I felt a little weird about that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I mean, you're you're in the middle of your work, You're trying to do your thing. What what what could you have done?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not saying that I should have like tackled the.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just like a little little taken him back.
Speaker 5: Just at the end of the day, you just want to have your teammates back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, you know, Migge, you'll just steal on his ass again.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's his gout too.
Speaker 2: Oh Okay, okay, guys, yes, speakgeling home six seventy the score. Yeah, maybe you'll steal on him again. Okay, yo, Look, Nico Horner, it sounds worse than it was. Red When you saw the quote, you're like, wait, what you wish you would have done something? If you wanted to do something, or you had the guts to do something, you would have done something. But you just stood there. You didn't want any of the Rushing smoke. You were This guy is is emotional and maybe to a certain point, you're like, ah, maybe a little a little a guy I don't want to mess with between the lines. So Nico Horner, you probably shouldn't have said that because you didn't do anything, and you probably won't do anything if the situation presented itself again. But nonetheless, I think we can all agree that what Dalton Rushing has got himself into is a young rookie who's emotional, who really wants to do good. He's a great guy, he's a great kid. I love him. He cares. But and I honestly, I do love the edge. I do love the edge. But part of what the culture is with the Dodgers that everybody talks about don't give the other team extra bulletin board material and more importantly, don't give the other team more fire to maybe hurt one of your other teammates because of what you're saying or what you're doing. That's something that the Dodgers do not want. And he'll learn, and that's why there's the veterans to help him get back on track and maybe be a little less, maybe help him not go viral as much as he has. How about that? All Right? So I love Dalton Rushing. I don't want him to lose anything that he brings to the field, but I think his teammates would love for him not to go viral as often as he has. All Right, A guy that went viral a few times and he was playing for the Dodgers. Joe Kelly is gonna join us next don't go anywhere Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on five seventy LA Sports. Well, since the Dodgers are in Saint Louis, I thought it would be a great time to revisit with our man that is the king of the Inland Empire, the man that has won two World Series Championships with the Dodgers and is still a cult hero, the one and only Mariachi. Joe Kelly is on Dodger Talk. Joe Man I'm glad to spice up your life because I've seen what you're doing and you need me back in your.
Speaker 5: Life, spice on my life.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it. It's a pleasure talking to you. Are you only calling me because the team is in Saint Louis and that's where I started my career.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. A depressing start to your career. Thank god you got out of there and you got to two real teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it to get to some real teams.
Speaker 2: How you been, buddy, Everything's great, everything's great.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You know what bugs me, Joe about Saint Louis and the Cardinals. They always say it's the Cardinals way to play baseball. It feels like the Dodgers are doing a pretty good job of doing Dodger baseball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 8: I think it's like, you know, when you get one of those cool nicknames and they're like, oh, how did you get that nickname? And it was like, you know, self proclaimed, and it's like you don't want to tell anybody, like how you got that cool nickname?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: I think the Dodgers if they would start saying the Dodger way and they'd be like who said that? And you can just make something up, be like, oh, the Cardinal fans told us it's a Dodger way, and then then you write a whole book or a movie what everyone do about it?
Speaker 2: I don't feel like Joe Kelly would fit into that box the Cardinals try to say everybody fit into.
Speaker 5: I think it's why I got traded, Bro. I was only there for two and a half years because I don't necessarily think.
Speaker 8: I was the Cardinal's way. Now, looking back.
Speaker 2: At it, you are not very Saint Louis, that's true, but I do love Saint Louis food, so I tried.
Speaker 5: You know, that's one thing I do miss. If I was doing a job like yours, what do you?
Speaker 8: What do you? What do you call yours?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 8: On field talent? What is that even called?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 2: How about just you?
Speaker 5: Right now, I'd be.
Speaker 8: Right now with the boys. I'd be taking them out. I mean, you don't hang out with the boys. The boys don't like you. But I'd be taking them out to Pappy's in Saint Louis. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Get the boys some ribs, some good barbecue.
Speaker 2: You don't know, nap, take a nap after that, ide.
Speaker 5: Ready to watch the freaking Huh, there's not.
Speaker 8: That's for old men like you. That's for old men like you.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what you're doing now that you're retired. During the day, you're out there somewhere in the Inland Empire. You do your thing until eleven am. Then you take a nap, and then you take knocks to baseball practice, and then you show up at a hockey game or a single a baseball game.
Speaker 5: You know what, I just go for the best teams around.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying. It's just they call me the They call me the Inland Empire Drake. Dude, just a front runner, the nine nine.
Speaker 5: Drake.
Speaker 2: You are the biggest celebrity in in the Inland Empire. I actually told the Ontario Tower Buzzers Blake Snell's rehabs start the other night was the biggest thing since Joe Kelly's rehab starts out there.
Speaker 8: Hey, let's be serious, dude, I know that Blake Snell doesn't listen. Who got more people to show up by the game, Blake Snell or Joe Kelly.
Speaker 2: It was a toss up.
Speaker 5: No, don't throw the toss up. Dude, you know this clip's.
Speaker 8: Gonna air, just just you're not gonna hurt his feelings. Dude, you are.
Speaker 2: You are a legend in the in Lampire. You have more street cred in the nine oh nine than Blake Snell.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's true, Blake. Blake Snell's a lot better pictures though he's pretty I was just there for good times, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, you were more. You were there for more than that. And uh, I was wondering how much how much fomo do you still have? Do you have any fomo?
Speaker 8: No? Oh fear missing out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: With the Dodgers, No, And I'm I like watching dude. It's fun. It's it's it's it's cool to see it from the outside. You know. Obviously I'd like to get some more games, but I mean it's there's only so many times that I could have walked past my face, you know, on the upper concourse level and have to say hi to the guy named David Besse. So I like watching it at home. It's been interesting, you know. It's ah the thing that I that come I with, you know, the the day that I don't follow any meta or nothing, right, but the day, the day that the two days go well, then yeah, two yars ago and show I started pitch great. But the day that he doesn't full blown hit, we scores a run. So that was very interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad you brought that up, because we we can't figure out whether or not he's all in with this plan, but it makes sense. Do you believe that you know he Do you think he understands why the Dodgers are doing this? And do you feel like he bought.
Speaker 8: In ooh fest I can't answer for show Hey, but taking my own personal experiences, you know, they called me the show Hey of of h uc Riverside, even though I never actually played, even though I never actually took an official at bat in college baseball. But I went in as an outfielder obviously, right, and then I got turned into a picture. So originally thought I was going a two way right. I was like, oh cool, I'll just throw in ninety seven or whatever that I got clocked out as a young freshman, and then I'll and then I'll play the outfield. Quickly that I learn that I would be a po a picture only.
Speaker 5: Which which which which? Really? Which? Really?
Speaker 8: Uh kind of pissed me off. Obviously because I was a I never pissed and I wanted to be an Alfhilder. So knowing my own personal experiences, I wasn't happy and I was not bought in. I wasn't bought in even until the end of my whole first season closing at UCR. You know, not to too my own horn, but I was Big West Pitcher of the year. I was an All American. I had the most saves in one season. I made TMSA and even though I made TSAY, I was like, oh, maybe I could come back and they're going to let me hit my sophomore year, you know what I mean. So even though I was a picture only I still I was bought in that I was a good pitcher, Yes, but I wasn't bought in. I was leaving out hope like maybe I will hit. So that's my own personal experience. So now if I put myself in show he's mind where you know, I'm what two seasons removed from hitting fifty homers. You know, even though my batting average says I'm struggling at the plate, you know when I pitch, but when we could score zero runs and once being in the back, I can maybe create three runs. There's a possibility that, you know, it's in the back of his mind. But he's so respectful and he's just gonna do what the organization tells him. So, you know, it's hard to tell what he thinks or what he says. But from my own experience, you know, I still thought I'd be a two way player after a season of you know, pitching really really well.
Speaker 2: Calls Baseball Joe Kelly comparing his Division three UC riverside experience to show AOTO, what's.
Speaker 5: A respect on her idea?
Speaker 8: It's a Division one program?
Speaker 2: Oh is it? Is it Division one? Now?
Speaker 8: It's still Division one? You clown?
Speaker 2: All right, all seriousness? Since o'tani is wearing your number number seventeen, what do you believe is the solution to be able to get him through a full season at thirty one years old? Now, Joe, he's not twenty eight or twenty seven. What would you do? Let him hit on the same days that he pitches and maybe give him the next day off? Would you not lead him off? How would you manage it?
Speaker 8: How would I manage it? I would manage it just by a personal fill or a healthwive standpoint. Right, We don't know. What if he's barking from you know, taking swings and pitching, Like, what if his arm gets more tired, you know, in the past couple of starts while he's hitting. What if he's having those conversations behind the scenes. No one knows, right, So I would just probably you know, try to be in tune with Showhy as much as I can leading up to a start. You know, if he says he's ready to rock, and I'd let him swing if something's bugging him or or maybe the swings are messing with his mechanics or you know, I mean, he's dominating on the mountain, right and something you don't want.
Speaker 5: To mess up.
Speaker 8: He's one of the best pitchers in all of baseball, you know, American League, National League. So when that's happening, you know, as an organization, you're like, well, shoot, maybe he's more valuable as a pitcher, and we could just keep him at this high level of performance that he's doing now and we'll just skip the four at bets. He's gonna get that game, you know what I mean. So if that's the case, I would, if you know that that's the reason why Show he could pitch that well. I would definitely as a as.
Speaker 5: A manager or as an organization, I'd be like, hey, show.
Speaker 8: Hey, you are the best pitcher in baseball right now, Like, do you want to mess that up? And I just asked him personally, and if he says no, they'll be like, all right, well you're not going to hit today. I mean so it just be those conversations that I have behind the scenes that no one knows. No one knows the real reason, right, We'll never get the real reason. You know, you know how baseball goes, but you know, if it's working, you know, hes dominating the mount like he is. You know, it's whatever he feels is he's most comfortable with to keep that high level of performance.
Speaker 2: Joe Kelly is our guest. No introduction needed for this guy. Here's something Joe, you would have to agree though, Like you said, have a feel for what's happening in the here and now on this past homestand it's a night game and then there's a twelve o'clock game the very next day that he has to pitch the night before. You can understand in that situation, like, hey, you got to pick one day that you're not going to hit right, I mean, that would be one of those feel situations.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's those quick turnarounds that are always good times to you know, for anybody, you know, an older position player, you know, to have it like a Migey road, to completely take it off where you know you're in ter or maybe you might pinch it, or maybe an older reliever right who's you know, is good to go back to back, But since it's a quick turnaround's like, hey, might as well stay away from them back to back to keep them, you know, healthy down the stretch. There's always those things that go into play that that the fans won't see or or realize until you know, conversations like me and you're having right now, it has happened. So those quick turnarounds are are are obviously tough. There's so much research now, there's so much you know underlying you know effects, you know, whether it's sleep, whether it's you know, my body hasn't you know, got rid of all the lactic acid yet, and I'm still sore from the day before. There's all these little things that go into it. So yeah, there there there's times to choose where you should completely have it offen and with a quick turnaround like that, I think you know, those days are obviously, you know, more easy to you know, have a conversation with the player saying like hey, this's quick turnaround, Like why don't you just take the day off? And sometimes the player is gonna tell you, like myself, I've done them a whole career where you're gonna go out there, you know, banged up or even actually physically hurt, and you're like, I'm still gonna prove a point, like I'm gonna do this for my teammates. But that's what the leaders are there for, that's the doctor's for, that's what the front office is there for, that's what pitching coaches and handy coaches there for. It's like, hey, we're taking you know, this option off the table because we know what the answer you would give us is. You're gonna play, but we're just gonna actually just not put you in the lineup on purpose, just to you know, kind of keep you away from you know, your own self harm.
Speaker 2: I'd say, yeah, you guys sometimes protect the player from himself, especially a guy like you that had a high pain tolerance, or a guy like Otani who's the greatest player on the planet. I mean, guys like you and him in different ways. You're built differently, and somebody's got to step in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there someone has to step in. And it's like, you know, you're on a you're on a race horse, and the horse could you know, be physically hurt, but you mean you smack him on the butt, he's gonna he's gonna run, you know what I mean? They just know nothing about competition. And that's like professional athletes. So there's ways that you know, the smarter people in the room should be able to step in them and just you know, kind of put it into their own hands and take the player out of a game.
Speaker 5: And that's what those guys get paid the big bucks for.
Speaker 2: All Right, Joe Kelly, since you are a great LA sports fan, there's no denying your Dodgers have eclipsed the Lakers. Has been the greatest show in Los Angeles? Right, Otani, Freddie Mookie way bigger than Lebron and Luca at this point, right even with the Lakers in the playoffs, or do you feel like it's still a very close race on if you had to choose to watch or go to one of these games, it would be a coin flip. Who what do you think LA is feeling right now?
Speaker 8: Well, it's a tough question to go in watch in person. Obviously myself, I'm going to choose an NBA game just because it's so it's so fun for me to watch as as a non NBA player, right.
Speaker 5: I just have so much respect to those guys.
Speaker 8: But overall, yes, I think southern California, you know, the whole state, or let's just put l A. I think the Dodgers have now surpassed every organization, not including NBA, not including you know, NFL. I think they're the greatest organization in all of sports to watch or to be a part of. But yeah, the Lakers are obviously, you know, something, something that's close to my heart. You know, I'm not not saying that the three to zero lead has is gonna is gonna fall, right. I felt confidence, But eventually a record like that has to break, right, So I'm I'm I'm not very optimistic. I'm optimistic that the Lakers are are the better team. But when you see those stats of three oh teams coming back, it's never been done in the history of NBA, and you know, it's something that. I like to see that the Lakers come out the next game, you know, be a little bit more physical from the from the start. They put a good in the fourth last night. You know, they battled, took some errand shots that that were you know, they make sense. You know, the pressure of the game's high. It's like everyone wants to be a hero and try to win the game. But they played the last like five minutes of that fourth quarter last night.
Speaker 5: Uh, for the.
Speaker 8: Whole entire game there, there's no doubt in my mind will move on to the next round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see if that happens. So you're you're all in with the Lakers. But here's the most random thing you'll ever see. The Drake of the Inland Empire and Joe Kelly sitting rinkside right on the glass at an Anaheim Ducks playoff game wearing the orange jersey. I never heard you once talk about the Ducks. Now all of a sudden, you're the biggest celebrity in Anaheim at a Ducks game.
Speaker 8: Hey, hockey is an amazing sport, right, so, especially when the tickets are free. Yes, that's true. So obviously I was born in Anaheim. I lived in Anaheim half my life.
Speaker 2: I never heard you mention Aheim once.
Speaker 8: Okay, get out here. But you know, my wife, Ashley and her parents have been season ticket holders, uh, all the way up until you know a few years back, and they were always Ducks fans. And for me it was something that you know, I started getting a little more into since it stop playing, I've been watching pretty much all sports. And when you know, the Ducks are are are a great young team to watch, very exciting.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: What's crazy to me is that they're still rebuilding right and they're they're doing this well. So it's it's been one of the things that I've I've became a a an Anaheim Ducks fan as of recent and I have no problem saying that. You know, I am the the drake fan of the Inland Empire, but hey, you got you gotta you gotta pick a winner, and and and the Ducks is what I'm picking. And it doesn't hurt that they're a lot closer to my house. It's a lot easier drive than than going to l A.
Speaker 2: So here he is the drake of the I e at an Anaheim Ducks game right there, front and center, and then at an Ontario Tower Buzzers Game high A Baseball and then the Lakers now have relocated their G League team to the Coachella Valley. So you're gonna see the drake of the Ie Joe Kelly courtside at a Lakers G League game next year.
Speaker 5: Bro the CV Lakers, Baby. Then I'll head up.
Speaker 8: Then I'll head up up to Joshua Tree and you know, spend a couple of days out there on my own trying to figure out the life's greatest questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true. I mean you are really wandering in that Inland Empire desert out there without me and the Dodgers. You need you need to. We'll get you an uber to come back to the big League's Joe to Dodgers Stadium. I'll get you some tickets. I could get tickets for you, I know the Ducks. Yeah, I could pull some strings for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, are they gonna be like you know Doug out Club.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be where your mural is up there on the reserve level, So you could be close to your mural.
Speaker 5: See that.
Speaker 8: See no, see I don't want any part of that.
Speaker 2: Why not you could take It'd be like a meet and greet on the reserve level with you.
Speaker 8: I'd like to be close enough to see the players, you know, have a little bit of sweat on their face, or or you know, try to try to see if the pitchers tipping here and there on the other team.
Speaker 5: You can wear your brand too far away from the game.
Speaker 8: That far away. I spent plenty of years being that far away from from the action, sitting out there in the bullpen. So you know, now now as a non player, I'd like to actually be closer down to the field level, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, the greatest thing would be if we surprise your old teammates with you sitting in one of those seats that hangs over the Dodger bullpen. You just been there staring at God.
Speaker 8: That would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to make that happen.
Speaker 8: We will, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I know you're still trying to figure out to do with your life, So good luck with your life, and if you need me, we could do a show together twelve to three. You know, I feel like Rogan and Rodney might be might be retiring soon, so it might be time for Mariachi Joe.
Speaker 8: The twelve to three spot is a good time for me, you know what I mean? Does that fiture Rodney? They're great, but it's time for some new faces.
Speaker 2: You never know ooh, I know, I know, you never know where Joe Kelly could be. I mean he has connections with the Ontario team, with the Ducks. I mean those are the premier franchises in LA.
Speaker 8: I mean in Orange County and Inland Empire. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joe, I know everybody loves hearing your voice. Let's do this more often and thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it. And we'll see whether or not the Lakers hold onto this series and then we could talk.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's go Lakers.
Speaker 5: Thanks TV.
Speaker 2: There it goes Joe Kelly. He has put Rogan and Rodney on notice. He wants twelve to three. He's coming for you, all right. That was awesome great to hear from Joe Kelly. He is actually at the Ducks game right now against the Oilers. So if you're at the Ducks game or on your way you're a little late, keep your eye out for mister Ie Drake. Drake of the Ie Joe Kelly and I thought it was interesting he had his opinion on Otani the days that he pitches, whether or not he should hit or not, and how the Dodgers should manage it, how O'tani may be feeling about it. So that's from a guy that was in the same clubhouse that gave Otani number seventeen. So always great to hear Joe Kelly's hot sports takes and look, that guy would be a great sports talk show host. The only problem would be could you count on him the show up Monday through Friday at noon every day or whenever he's supposed to show up. You never know Levite Loka of Joe Kelly. I mean, he's on his own schedule there. So it was a I think we'll just start with Dodger talk whenever he wants to call in. But uh, definitely, I would love to do a talk show with Joe Kelly. Man that would be electric. Joe Kelly every day in La talk about a guy that might go viral. I mean Joe Kelly every day with this type of three hour platform, there's a very good chance he would have the hottest takes in the city. So thank you to Joe Kelly for jumping on. He's a huge LA sports fan and h yeah, he'll go. If you have free tickets and the seats are close enough, he'll be there. Reach out to him, you know, whoever you are, reach out to him. If the tickets are close, he'll be there. And if it's off the two ten or the fifty seven or the fifteen, even better for Joe Kelly. All right, I wanted to give you an update on another Dodger reliever, actually brock Stewart, who has not thrown a pitch yet this year. Brock Stewart just went back to back games for Oklahoma City and the second half of that back to back was tonight, and he has been really good. I believe he has like nine strikeouts in his rehab appearances there in Oklahoma City in less than seven innings. So he's been really good. And usually when a guy like brock Stewart's on a rehab assignment like that, pitching rehab games who did not have a spring training, usually the last box to check is pitching back to back games. So with him doing all this and now completing pitching back to back games, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers decided to activate brock Stewart at some point on this road trip, maybe not in Saint Louis, maybe the last day in Saint Louis, but certainly Houston is in play for brock Stewart after finding out that he pitched back to bag day. So that's great news for the Dodger bullpen to bring in another big right handed arms. And the Dodger bullpen's been really good even with the absence of Edwin Diaz. You know what's made it even better is the Dodgers starting pitchers going as deep as they have in games and not forcing these guys to cover four or five innings three out of five nights. So that's been a big reason for the Dodger bullpen success and for the team success to have a twenty and eleven record. Tomorrow, Emmitt Sheen's coming off his best start of the season. He'll be on the mound in Saint Louis to open up the series. He's going up against left hander Matthew Libertor. Our coverage begins at four o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at first pitch at five point fifteen from Saint Louis with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett will be on the call. I believe so looking forward to that, looking forward to the road trip. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio, who is a one man show. Thanks to you for listening. Fox Sports Radio is next. We'll talk to you tomorrow at four o'clock. See you