Speaker 1: For variety from the two thousand, it's the nineties and today it's Star one on one three hits Marcus back with second Date update if you've never heard it, if you're brand new. So what happens is you go on a first date you get ghosted on. We will call your date on your behalf the service we provide, try to figure out if you did something wrong, or if they're just been busy, or what the deal is, and ultimately try to get you a second date. It's how we do it. So let's say good morning to Riley. I'm here, good morning, excellent. So I want to talk about your date with Jenna. I want to talk about like a how you guys met, and then let's just run through. Typically what we do is I have you run through what you did on the first date, and then we'll try to figure it all out because I understand she's ghosted, but what can you tell me?
Speaker 2: Well, we met online and after you know, a couple of weeks of back and forth messaging, we decided that we were going to grab coffee and like walk around Berkeley, Okay, And I mean she was funny, thoughtful, she had book recommendations for just about every topic I could think of, Like we talked about street art, we talked about our worst jobs, we talked about local sandwich spot, like you know, like just I was gonna say the hard hitting journalism. Yeah, and then like you know, we went out for copy. We had a great time. And then she hasn't called me here, texted me back, And I'm just kind of getting ghosted here, And I don't know why.
Speaker 1: How many times have you replayed the date in your head? Be honest, a handful something.
Speaker 2: I can't think of anything.
Speaker 1: You're not as obsessive as I am. Then I get it, all right, I'll tell you what. I'm gonna call her. We're gonna try to figure this out. I've got my guy Riley on the phone. This feels pretty cut and dry. It feels pretty simple. So you and Jenna just went.
Speaker 2: For coffee, went for coffee and then walked around Berkley and it felt right like that, it felt great.
Speaker 1: The weirdness. No, Okay, let's call her. Then go ahead and meet your phone. I'm gonna give her a shout and see if we can't salvage this, get you a second date. Okay, here we go, good day. This is Jenna, Well, good day. I have never had anybody answer the phone. Good day, Sorry, Jenna, It's Marcus calling from Star one one three. Good morning, good day.
Speaker 3: Hello. How are you from the radio?
Speaker 1: Yes, from from Star one on one three from the morning show. Do you listen? Yeah? I do, excellent, welcome. Do you have a moment to be on the show with me?
Speaker 3: Depends on what you're calling for.
Speaker 1: So it's second date update time?
Speaker 3: Oh no am I? Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, okay, okay, are doing this.
Speaker 3: To second date update? I did not think I was going to end up on it, but here we are.
Speaker 1: Why don't you be the star?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, have you been on a date recently that you may or may not have ghosted on?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, so we've got Riley on the phone. I figured, yeah, Riley, are you there?
Speaker 3: I'm here?
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Jenna, he said he had a great time. He liked you a lot, I wrote down, funny, thoughtful, enjoyed your conversation. So if you ghosted, can you tell us why did he do something?
Speaker 3: It wasn't really something he did. I mean, I think he's nice. I think he's a nice person, but he was intense in the strangest way I've ever encountered, and it made me really uncomfortable. I didn't really know what to do with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got to ask the question, did you feel unsafe?
Speaker 3: No, No, it wasn't like that. I just like, I've never really encountered a person like this. Like he kept pausing while we were walking around to write things down in this tiny, like pocket sized notebook, and it wasn't discreet. It wasn't like, oh, every once in a while he'd like, I mean, I don't even know how you would discreetly drott in a notebook, but like he was so weird and obvious about it. He'd like pause walking for a sec and write something down. It was like like like therapy note taking, you know what I mean. I felt like I was being scrutinized me. What was I don't know. We talked about a lot of different things, which initially I really liked that he seemed able to talk about a lot of different stuff, but then he'd like hyper fixate on these weird things like Okay, like at one point I was talking to him about my plants and how I feel like I'm a plant killer because I can't keep anything alive. Sure, And he started like interrogating me about the soil. He was like asking me where I sourced the soil for my plants, insane that it might be a pH balance thing. And he launches into this like five minute lecture talking at me about the pH balance of my soil. And he's like, Oh, if it's too acidic, that could be causing the leaves to turn yellow. And he was like, you know, oh, do you think it could be root raw that's too much moisture. Otherwise it could be a too acidic of a soil. And I'm just like, I don't know. It didn't feel like I was having a conversation with him. I felt like I was being mansplained at, like it's not that serious and that, you know, I probably would have been interested if he had talked to me about it differently, but I felt like he was lecturing me.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 4: I like to write things down because I like to make sure that I remember them. And I mean, I wasn't trying to make you feel like you're being lectured or man's plained or anything like that, Like I was genuinely like trying to help. I was like Oh, this is the thing I know about, and you're having in trouble with these plans, and so here are ways that I know that I can help.
Speaker 3: Sure, Okay, but I think it's really important for you to read the social cues, especially when you're in a really early stages thing with somebody like this was our first date, and I felt like I was being interviewed for a scholarship. I felt like, you know, I felt like I was sitting across a desk from somebody. And that's not the experience I'm trying to have when I'm on a date.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the intention. I was trying to make sure that you knew that I was listening to what you were saying, and I was trying to show you that I was being attentive and helpful.
Speaker 1: I wasn't trying to talk at you.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, even right now, I feel like you're kind of talking at me. You're not saying, wow, I'm sorry, thank you all. Take the feedback you're explaining and over explaining and lecturing me about what your intentions were, as opposed to taking the feedback that I'm giving you that you brought me on the radio to give you you guys.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is going to work out. Jenna, No second date on.
Speaker 3: This right, No thank you, thanks, but no sure all right?
Speaker 1: Hang on, I don't even know where to go from here. Second date update. Obviously it doesn't always work out.