Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're Gay running.
Speaker 1: Back to get him on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasselas.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until eight thirty. Tonight at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We are live at City Field after the Dodgers beat the Mets four to three on a night that Kyle Tucker hit his hardest baseball of the season one hundred and seven plus miles an hour, the hardest hit ball Kyle Tucker has hit all season long, and it was a home run leading off the third inning off Nolan McClain that he sent to the upper deck down the right field line, and then in his.
Speaker 3: Next at bat, he.
Speaker 2: Really smoked the ball to left field for what might have been extra bases if not for the young left fielder for the Mets, aj Ewing being turned around because the ball was hit one hundred miles an hour and he was turned around, but he recovered and made the catch.
Speaker 3: So I want to believe. I want to believe that.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker is taking off and never looking back starting this series against the Mets, because let's be honest, the first two series of the second half of the year did not go well for Kyle Tucker. It looked like more of the same. But the last two games have looked like Kyle Tucker. I will say this as well for Kyle Tucker. One thing that Dave Roberts said they know Kyle Tucker can do is not chase pitches outside of the strike zone. And Kyle Tucker is striking out at a clip a lot smaller than he was.
Speaker 3: At the beginning of the season.
Speaker 2: He was striking out twenty eight percent of the time in June. In the month of July, he's only striking out ten percent of the time, which is certainly impressive. And certainly, you know what he told us in Minnesota, that he is striking out a lot less than he was at the beginning of the year. And I think that's a part of the equation here to hopefully buy in that Kyle Tucker can you know, right the ship here in at the end of July and into August. But I think we all want to believe that Kyle Tucker has found something, so we'll see how it goes. Two games is not going to make us a narrative change when it comes to Kyle Tucker. But getting to know him this year, he's a really good guy and you're rooting for him. I'll just say that I'm rooting for Kyle Tucker because getting to know him on a personal level certainly makes you want to hope for a guy like that to be able to turn his season around.
Speaker 3: And I will say this. You know another subplot to this series.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it during the Clubhouse show is the fact that it was the Mets that constructed this wacky contract to go shorter years with the highest aav this side of sho hey Otani, and they went a little bit lower to Boba Ship, but they basically did the same thing. They gave him forty something million dollars for one year for him to be able to opt out. And Kyle Tucker can opt out of his contract with the Dodgers after year two. But look, it was the Mets that offered Tucker fifty five million dollars for this season, and the Dodgers said, you know what, We'll see your fifty five and raise you five more because we can. And Kyle Tucker I think made the right choice choosing the Dodgers. This would not have been a good situation for Kyle Tucker. Kyle Tucker great guy, a guy that wants to go under the radar, does not want to be center stage, does not want to have the expectations of having to carry a team. And they all would have been looking at Kyle Tucker right now in New York and Bobashek got booed in the first series back after the All Star break. But tonight, I didn't hear booze for Bobashitt. I didn't hear booze for Francisco Lindor. I guess they don't boo people out here in Queens, but they do boo a Yankee stadium. But yeah, I was a little surprised they're not booing this team. More so different vibe, definitely a different vibe. But going back to Tucker, yeah, he could have signed with the Mets, and he made the right decision to sign with the Dodgers because, like I've said before, he has the high price tag next to his name, but the number doesn't match who he is in his career. And that's why I always say, forget about the salary. The salary means nothing when you step between the lines or step in the batter's box. That's for us to talk about. But you look at Kyle Tucker's career. His career averages is two seventy hits, somewhere between twenty five and thirty home runs, drives in somewhere between ninety and one hundred runs. That's who he is, and that's not a guy that's going to carry you. What that's going to do is to give a guy that sees a lot of pitches. Even in his last at bat where he struck out, it was a ten pitch at bat. He's gonna see a lot of pitches. He's not going to strike out a lot. He's going to walk as many times as he's going to strike out. But we just haven't seen that this year from Kyle Tucker. But hopefully home ering for the first time and back to back games is the beginning of Kyle Tucker, you know, washing away the first four months of the season and when you're on the Dodgers and you have the best record in baseball and you're trying to repeat. If he's able to become Kyle Tucker that he's been his entire career, starting last night and carrying it over tonight and carrying it forward, I think everybody would be happy with that. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The mark of a fighter man.
Speaker 3: I mentioned this earlier with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: You hear about the Mets and how bad they are, and then you see them in person and the care factor you want to talk about, lack of care factor. I see a lot of lack of care factor out here from a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Before the game, Francisco Lindors showed a lot of care factor. He was taking early batting practice and was trying to get coached up by America's DH JD Martinez, who was hired by the Mets as a hitting consultant. And JD is in here for the weekend and is trying to do whatever he can to try to help guys get better, even if it is to close out the season.
Speaker 3: But a guy like.
Speaker 2: Lindor who struggled all year, hitting two twenty four with an OPS under seven hundred out here early with Jad Martinez, but you watched the game being played. Lindor cares he loves baseball. From everybody I talked to around the Mets, baseball is vita for Francisco Lindor. But you see some of these other guys. I'm I don't see a lot from Francisco Alvarez. I don't see a lot from Boba Shet. You just don't see it. This was a poorly constructed team. And like we talked about, you can spend all the money you want, but if you don't spend it the right way, you're gonna be where the Mets are forty three and sixty two compared to the Dodgers, the team the Mets want to be, Like, who's sixty seven and thirty eight eight sixty six nine eight two five seventy is the phone number?
Speaker 3: Want to give you an update on show? Hey Otani?
Speaker 2: Uh Showotani was tentatively how about that, I'll say it that way, tentatively scheduled to throw a bullpen today coming off his bullpen session on Wednesday in Philadelphia where he threw thirty four pitches and threw his full compliment of pitches. So Dave Roberts was asked before the game, Hey, is he going to throw one?
Speaker 3: Did he throw one? And the answer was no, And the.
Speaker 2: Exact quote from Dave Roberts was that Otani and the Dodgers were going to kick the can down the road, meaning they're going to pause again the pitching because Otani's left knee was sore, and the team trainer started to get an idea that O'tani was not going to throw a bullpen today yesterday because his routine changed. He just instead of going out to the outfield to play catch and his flat round pitching, he just threw plioballs against the wall. So you know, they keep saying that the hitting, the base running is not affecting how that left knee feels. You can't tell me last night that Otani is trying to stretch a double into a triple, slides into third base hard into the bag, and today he can't throw his bullpen session.
Speaker 3: You can't tell me. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts said, that's not the reason why. But you can't tell me that's not contributing to the soreness.
Speaker 3: In the left knee.
Speaker 2: Not getting over the hump, and Dave Roberts talked about the fact that his left knee is in a better spot than it was before the All Star break, and he did say that he's still confident Otani will pitch again this season. That still remains to be seen, but I would lean on that side if there's any sort of soreness. We all know the Dodgers are extra cautious with all of their players, let alone the best player on the planet. So I tend to lean that he will pitch again this season, and the Dodgers are just being extra cautious with Otani's left knees.
Speaker 3: So he's ready to go in the postseason. But here's the catch.
Speaker 2: It's fine if you want to rest him and make sure that knees as close as possible to getting that soreness out. But the longer he goes without throwing off the mound, the longer it's going to take for him to be stretched out again. Because now what we're going on two weeks where he's not pitching and he's not getting stretched out, it's going to take at least that amount of time and counting for him to get stretched out to pitch. So that's part of the equation, and everybody's trying to tie in Otani pitching or not pitching to whether or not the Dodgers will have more urgency to pursued Zue Trek Scooble. I think a lot of that hinges on how Blake Snell looks in his next rehab appearance, and I kind of have a feeling with Dave Roberts leaving the door open that Snell could possibly make one more rehab start and then rejoin the rotation. I kind of feel like that's to see where he's at before we get to August third. And that trade deadline eight six six eight seven two, five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll get more into the trade deadline and what the Dodgers are thinking. Also, we'll let you know exactly when Keyke Hernandez and Edwin Diaz are going to return. As the Dodgers beat the Mets four to three on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger with David Bassi.
Speaker 1: McLean's too two. Tucker tags it in the air, deep down the right field line.
Speaker 2: It is off the pole and gone. Kyle Tucker is alive in New York. Kyle Tucker leading off the third inning with a monstrous home run off of Nolan McLain and Kyle Tucker hit his hardest baseball of the season, hitting that home run at one hundred and seven miles an hour. That's the hardest hit ball Kyle Tucker has had all season long, and he homers for the first time this year, him back to back games for the first time this year. Daniel Stewlers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel S. Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com. Used the keyword home run, enter your name you could win. Daniel Jewelers own the dream. Eight six six nine to eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers. You know you gotta I'm gonna put into context with the Dodgers have done coming out of the All Star Break. They have the best record in baseball. They take two out of three at Yankee Stadium. They beat Garrett Cole, they beat Cam Schlittler, and they play a doubleheader on Getaway Day before going to Philadelphia after Sunday Night Baseball, last Sunday Sunday Night Baseball night game on Getaway Day, which has become the norm basically for the Dodgers this year. Tomorrow's the exception that they're actually getting a day game on Getaway Day. The Dodgers have been on the East Coast. Tomorrow will be ten days, a nine game trip in ten days. They take two out of three from the Yankees, including a doubleheader and Sunday Night Baseball. They go to Philadelphia. They beat the Phillies on a night that Christopher Sanchez is pitching. They beat the Phillies when Zach Wheeler's pitching, or excuse me, on the night that Aaron Nola was pitching and they lost the game against Sanchez.
Speaker 3: Excuse me.
Speaker 2: They beat Wheeler and Nola, so they take two out of three in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: They go to the White House.
Speaker 2: After that last game in Philadelphia, they're at the White House or in Washington, d C. For about what seventeen hours? They're at the White House for two hours, hop on a bus back to the airport, get on a plane to fly back to New York to play the Mets. All they do is come out and beat the Mets last night, and they come out and beat the Mets tonight. That's all the Dodgers have done this road trip. Think about that they've only lost two games so far on this road trip. With all of that, who is going to stop this team? And the Dodgers are only getting stronger. Next week, specifically Tuesday, the first game of the homestand Key k a Hernandez is going to be activated. Dave Roberts joins us once a week with the Manager's Meeting presented by Downy Hunday. He told us before the game, and you can listen to the conversation on the iHeartRadio app that Key k Hernandez is going to be activated on Tuesday, and Edwin Diaz, the former Met and now the Dodger closer, is going to return on Wednesday night. Edwin Diaz is going to be active Wednesday night, and Diaz is going to pitch one more rehab game tomorrow and be active Wednesday night. So you look at the Dodger bullpen now. As far as high leverage arms, Brock Stewart just saved his first game since twenty twenty three. Tanner Scott for the most part, has done a phenomenal j this year and also during the period of time where Edwin.
Speaker 3: Diaz has been out.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers just got back Evan Phillips, who's shaking off the rust. You still got Vesia and Gardo Enriquez has been lights out this year. He didn't look great tonight, but he's been lights out all year long. You got Rock Stewart, you got Evan Phillips, you got Tenor Scott.
Speaker 3: You're getting back.
Speaker 2: You're getting back Edwin Diaz, you got Will Klein, you got Jack Dryer, who has not allowed an earn run since June twenty first. And Jack Dryer is going to join us on the pregame show tomorrow. So just think about that. And as far as the trade deadline goes, go back and listen to the show last night. Unless the Dodgers don't feel good about where Glass now is or where Snell is, they are not going to go all in for schoolbl they're going to be They have checked in with the Tigers. They are in contact with the Tigers about school ball because let's say another team is offering, you know, something that the Dodgers field they can do. They're going to go after school Bowl, if it makes sense. But they're not going after school ball to keep him away from the Brewers, the Yankees or the Braves. They're gonna go after school Bowl because they feel like whatever they have in house is not going the way that they would like to.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Katie Wu the Athletic reported a couple of weeks ago, and it makes sense that the Dodgers want to use this trade deadline to try to replenish their farm system, maybe with a guy like Eric Lawer, who's been phenomenal and you can try to get you know, the Dodgers have a plethora of outfielders. We haven't heard anything about infielders, so maybe they want to upgrade there. Their catching depth is a little thin, Maybe they want to upgrade there. They're higher level pitching in the miner is a little thin. Maybe they want to add there. Now can they pull that off? I believe they can, and I believe you could do it not in a linear type of trade. Andrew Freeman has put together three team trades before for major league impact players. Why can't he be the facilitator of that with two other teams that are trying to help their team in the here and now. So I really do believe the Dodgers are going to be players at the trade deadline. But I don't feel like it necessarily has to be all about Trek Skuobel because there's still uncertainty about whether or not the Tigers are going to pull the trigger on a Schooble trade. But we've been talking about backup catchers. I mean, that's how good the Dodgers are. We're talking about backup catchers. I mentioned Jonah Him makes a lot of sense. Chris Woodward was his manager with the Rangers. Jonah Him was the catcher and played a big part in the Rangers winning the World Series in twenty twenty three. So he's a championship winning catcher. Jonaheim and he's a rental. The A's acquired him from the Braves earlier this year. Jonaheim would be a really good fit, and the Dodgers have a guy that has first hand knowledge of how good he really is. And Chris Woodward and you know, talking to Woodward over the years, he really likes Jonaheim and he challenged Jonaheim to be a better catcher over the years. So Jonahih makes a lot of sense. Here's another World Series experience catcher that nobody has talked about, and he used to be teammates with Freddie Freeman on the twenty one Braves. Travis Darnaut. How about Travis Darno who has not played basically all season long with planner fasciitis. He's now on a rehab assignment on his way back. Travis Darnault came up with a lot of big hits for the twenty one Braves to win the World Series, and he was a calming factor behind the plate. You don't need Travis Darnau to hit. You need a backup catcher in case Will Smith can't come back to be that stabilizing force if emotions run too high for Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 3: That's the insurance you need.
Speaker 2: And if Will Smith does come back, there is a way to carry three catchers. There is a way to do that. Don't forget. In September, rosters expand by a couple, right. I don't see Will Smith coming back in August. I don't know about you. I haven't heard him doing anything very vague, and you know, nobody's really saying much about Will Smith. So I don't see him coming back until rosters expand in September. So you make a trade with the Angels for Travis Starna, maybe you make a trade with the A's for Jonah him and all of a sudden, the one area where you are a little concerned about that can win or lose a game. Let's be honest. A catcher can win or lose the game behind the plate. Travis Darnault makes a lot of sense. I mean, the Angels, where are they going? Why do they need Travis Darnault. They got Logan o'hoppi, and they got a GM now that has some sensibility to him and John mozaylock. So to me, Jonaheim or Travis Darneault makes the most sense to acquire.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six.
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Mets tonight four to three. They're looking for the sweep tomorrow. And just a little history note as far as the Dodgers and Mets go since we are out here in New York. Just to put into contexts the Dodgers and Mets and how they're linked as far as the Dodgers moving out west and the Mets becoming an expansion team in the early sixties, where were right now where this stadium is and where Say Stadium was across the parking lot is where the mayor of New York wanted Walter O'Malley to build the new ebbots Field. When Walter O'Malley wanted to build the new ebbots Field where the Berkley Center is in Brooklyn. They were trying to force Walter O'Malley to build ebbotts Field out here in Queens and he said, no, there's like no public transportation. It's so out of the way. It's not in Brooklyn. We're not moving there. And that's when the Dodgers. Part of the reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn and came out west to la And another part of the equation with the Mets is that their colors orange and blue was a combination of the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers colors, since they both left New York within a year of each other. The Mets the expansion team to give New York a second team in the National League. They just combined the Giants and Dodgers colors to come up with the Mets colors and the n Why the Curse of n Y It's exactly like the New York Giants hats. So there's a little history lesson on the Mets, the Dodgers and where City Field sits and Shay Stadium sits. This is where New York was trying to force Walter O'Malley to build the new ebbitts Field. And oh, by the way, the new EBITs Field was going to be the Astrodome. Yeah, Walter O'Malley designed a dome stadium to be built here in Brooklyn. That's what he wanted, the Astrodome, and that model was built in Houston for the Astrodome.
Speaker 3: So there you go, a little history lesson. He didn't think I had that in me, but I like that. I like that.
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Meds tonight four to three. Yamamoto with his eleventh win of the year, brock Stewart with his first save, of the season and his first save since twenty twenty three. I mentioned blake'snew who made a rehab start yesterday for Oklahoma City in Sacramento, and he he threw forty eight pitches yesterday when two and two thirds the Dodgers were hoping for him to get one more up down to pitch three innings and throw forty five pitches. But he hasn't pitched in a long time, so he's shaken off the rust. And from what I understand, his fastball was ninety five ninety seven.
Speaker 3: He was feeling good today.
Speaker 2: The curveball, he's starting to get the feel for that and the changeups. So his next start is supposed to be four innings and we'll see where it goes after that. Glass now is getting set to go out on a rehab assignment as well. So all these things and I feel like everybody is forgetting Justin Robleski.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants to buy in to Justin Robleski.
Speaker 2: This guy is one of the most prepared pitchers on the Dodger staff. He actually came up with his own stat for a computer program to evaluate and to prepare for starts. If one of these guys even Otani, let's say can't go in the postseason, you got Robleski, you got glass Now, you got Snell, and he got Roki Sasaki to be part of a you know, opener, bullpen, piggyback type of start. I could definitely see the Dodgers if Otani can't pitch, or glass Now can't pitch, using Roki and Robleski in the same game in a playoff game, Roki starts, Robleski comes in right left, different style, different look, and you force the opposing manager to empty his bench. I could totally see that happening. If Otani or glass Now or Snell, any one of those guys can't go, all right.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: On Dodger Talk tonight tomorrow, Emmit Shean's on the mound. He's four and seven with an ERA of five thirteen, going up against Freddy Peralta, who's five and nine with an ERA of five to zero one. Our coverage begins at nine thirty tomorrow with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from City Field with Steven Nelson and Jose Mota at ten forty and I'm not going to take the seven train tomorrow morning. I took it in today. How about that all by myself. I'm a big boy.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I went on the seven train from Grand Central Station all the way to Willett's Point right here to City Field, the subway stop here on the seven train, and I actually ran into two guys that don't live in the San Fernando Valley right now, but are from San Fernando Valley. And one guy was wearing a cal State Northridge polo and I said, hey, I went there, and the guy, the young man now started at seasun and is going to graduate from Columbia out here in New York. So it was great to meet some friends new friends on the seven train.
Speaker 3: So there you go. Don't be scared take the subway when you come.
Speaker 2: See the Dodgers out here, whether it's at City Field or at Yankee Stadium thanks to colin Ee back at our Burg Bank Studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger or excuse me, city Field, it is Dodgers Stadium East. Half of these fans were Dodger fans tonight. So we're looking forward to this long road trip ending with the Dodgers sweeping the Meds tonight they beat them four to three.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night, see ya, and the Times handled away. The Times