Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're Getady running.
Speaker 1: Back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Bassi.
Speaker 2: Three Peat in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital La From Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven, two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until nine thirty after the Cardinals take Game one of this three game series by a final score of seven to two eight six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up In the next thirty minutes. You'll hear from Emi Sheen. We had a chance to catch up with tom Y Edman. We'll get an update on how his right ankle is responding after undergoing off season surgery to try to surgically repair that right ankle that has been giving him problems for the last two years. So you'll hear part of our conversation with Tommy Edmund But as far as tonight goes for the Dodgers, it just was another flat night. And I know when a team's not hitting and not scoring runs and not stringing hits together, they will look flat. But you know, having a chance to hear what Adrian Gonzalez and No More Garcia Para had to say on Sports Net LA after the final out, the way they describe it is something that you know, I couldn't put into words. They're two of the best hitters of their generations and actually had an idea of what they were doing and what was going on in the game, and I thought they hit the nail on the head, not only when it comes to Andy Pajz, but everybody tonight seem to be trying to cover too much of the strike zone and you can't do that. You'll hear some of the best hitters like Adrian Gonzalez and No Mar Garcia Para, they'll say you can't cover the outside part of the plate and the inside part of the plate you can't cover down in the way and up and in. You've got to know your strike zone. And that goes back to what people always say, like Adrian and Nomar, you gotta know who you are, you gotta know what your strike zone is. And we saw a lot of indecisive swings tonight. We saw show Hey Otani take a fastball right down the middle for strike three to end the seventh inning. So we saw the Cardinals do the exact opposite. I thought they brought up a great point. Jordan Walker was a great example of that. He was first pitch swinging. He was ready to hit on the first pitch. Did not want to get into any counts with Emit Sheen where he's gonna throw his slider or his change up. No, he knows Emit Sheen relies on his fastball, So he was going to be ready to hit she Hen's fastball early and often, same thing with a Guardo Enriquez who throws one hundred miles an hour. Jordan Walker hits a ball down the left field line for a two run double, ends up at third base because of a bad play by taoscar Hernandez. So it just seems like a lot of guys, some of the best, are very indecisive at the plate, and maybe to a certain extent. You know, this is just a theory, and they threw it out there, and I feel like at times it does hamper the Dodgers. They have paralysis by analysis, too much information, too much guessing. This guy is gonna throw this pitch in this count, Look for this pitch in this out. No, look for the pitch in your strike zone. That's what Andy Pai has was doing so well in spring training and to start the year. Now all of a sudden, he's expanding his strike zone, and you saw tonight the reason why he's in a slump. Now, in the fourth inning, he swings at a pitch out of the strike zone. Not his pitch grounds into a soft double play to end the inning. In the fourth and then in the sixth inning, first and third, two outs, he works a full count somehow and swings at a pitch down in the zone and it was ball four. You gotta know, if you're Andy pa Has, I gotta keep the line moving. Max Muncie, our most consistent and best hitter is on deck behind me. I need to get on to force the issue to load the bases again against George Soriano, who didn't really have command of the strike zone in that inning, and he swung at a pitch outside the strike zone, popped it up shallow center field, and the inning was over and Muncie was on deck. I'm not pointing the finger at Pajez, but my point is when you're in a slump like Paz, the game will find you. The biggest moments of the game will find you. And Jose Mota brought up a great point just a couple of weeks ago. We wanted the game to find Pahz, but right now he looks like the Paez of last year, and same with Freddie Freeman on the home stand. The game found him and he was in a slump. He was three for twenty five on this last homestand including zero for five the day before yesterday, and tonight in a ballpark that he loves to hit in. He started to hit the ball hard up the middle, two for four with a run score tonight, so that was encouraging. But my point being on the offense, they just got to get back to not trying to do it all them So going back to twenty fifteen, the Dodgers always talked about passing the baton. That's when they're at their best. That's when they were at their best at times last year. That's when they were at their best the year before. When they start trying to be the hero, things really fall apart. The chain gets broken and you go homerless for four straight games. That hasn't happened since twenty twenty three. And I told you last night on off day Dodger talk that the Cardinals can hit the ball out of the ballpark. The Dodgers lead major League Baseball with seventy five home runs, while the Cardinals coming into tonight had seventy one home runs. The problem was their pitching staff gave up thirty seven home runs. It's the pitching for the Cardinals right now that is holding them back. But tonight Nolan Gorman and Alec Burlison homer and off Emmi Shean, who had eight strikeouts, which is great, but they were jumping all over his first pitch fastballs and he wasn't adjusting and then things kind of snowballed him after that. Bok, you heard Dave Roberts say that speaking of Emmit Shean. Let's go back to Saint Louis to hear from Shean on sports and at LA met some mistake.
Speaker 3: I didn't share that I was switching to the to the stretch. I know the rule, it was just in the moment I didn't declare it, and yeah, unacceptable.
Speaker 1: And you look at just kind of what followed after that. Did it just feel like things kind of went in a little haywire there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe a little bit. Just gotta have a better execution on that fastball to Gorman. Other than that, yeah, just frustrating. You know, stuff wasn't where it should be. Delivery is still a little out of whack, but we're going to stay on it.
Speaker 2: So it just seemed like Emmit Sheen was fighting himself tonight. I know the fastball was on and off good, but he just didn't seem to have command of his pitches and was getting front strated with himself and in turn, it was snowballing on him, especially in that first inning. The Cardinals scored their three runs with two outs in that first inning. If he's able to get that last out, maybe it's a different game for IMiD Shean. But that first inning went a lot longer than it should have, and the Cardinals were able to take advantage of a frustrated she Hen in that first inning with two outs, got the first two outs, couldn't get the last one. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. You know, the narrative coming into the game tonight, because this series is going to have three guys that were in the bullpen at times last year. We're in the minor leagues at times last year. Are not glass now, Yamamoto, Otan, right, Sheehan, Roki Robleski are all pitching in this series this weekend. And we all know Blake Snell is on his way back, if not by the end of the next homestand then in Anaheim at the beginning of the next road trip because he is going to pitch Sunday for Oklahoma City. He is going to make one more rehab start after that, so it would line him up for the Giant Series at the end of that four game series or in Anaheim. So he is coming back. He is the two time Cyung Award winner. The Dodgers need him, and that is going to make their rotation even more devastating. With the way glassnow's pitching, you're getting Otani Yamamoto and now you're getting Blake Snell back. I mean, name a better four in baseball than those four starters. But nonetheless, the narrative coming into the game tonight was this series is somewhat of a tryout for these three guys. I got news for you. Andrew Friedman is not going to let one start in Saint Louis dictate what his plan is for any one of these three guys. He already knows what he's going to do, barring an injury. That's what it's funny. There's a lot of new people covering the Dodgers, so they don't understand that. Obviously they don't know Andrew Friedman. He is not going to allow one start in Saint Louis to dictate whether or not Emid Shehan is out of the rotation, or if Roki Sazaki is out of the rotation, or if Justin Robleski is going back to the bullpen. That's not how he operates. It was evident by the way the Dodgers opening day roster was laid out this year. It was obvious in past years. It's obvious how they navigate a regular season. It's not about one start being a tryout in the middle of the year. It's about looking at the schedule, looking at the matchups, looking at the state of their bullpen to see whether or not one of these three guys can help their bullpen. Is Robleski better suited to help the Dodgers in the bullpen and maybe combo him on a start with Roki Sasaki? Is Emi Shean better for the team? Do the puzzles fit better for a guy that has struggled to get through a lineup more than twice this year? Is he a better fit to piggyback a erratic Roki Sasaki? Now, if you took all three of these guys, Robleski and Shehan obviously have had better results. I would say Robleski way better results than Roki Shean. Mixed results, but still better than Roki Sasaki. Uh, the Dodgers are gonna look at what he does tomorrow and figure out whether or not if he's going to continue to walk five guys and only you know, pitch four innings, if that's going to work for them. But like I said, the Dodgers are not going to allow one start this weekend to dictate whether or not one of these guys is out of the rotation. That's not how Andrew Freeman works. That's not the way that they've won back to back World series. That's not the way they've mastered the regular season. So can we please stop with this being a so called tryout series for all three of these guys, because it's not. I got news for you. Andrew Freeman has already plotted out what he's going to do when Blake Snell comes back in a week and a half, not a few weeks, not a few starts, two more rehab starts, two more weeks. And it's not an indictment on Sheehan or Robleski. It's about what's best for the team. And Robleski said this coming out of spring training. Of course I want to be a starter. Of course I know I can be a starter, but I'll do whatever it takes to be on this team. Same with Sheehan. He may be ultimately in the same type of bucket as a Dustin May and maybe better suited for the bullpen, because right now he's been, you know, not very effective either, and he hasn't been really on his game since day one of spring training for whatever reason. His mechanics just haven't been that good. So are his mechanics going to get better in the bullpen? It's a lot harder to work on your mechanics in the bullpen, it really is. So maybe he gets sent down to work out those mechanical issues be more consistent to help the Dodger rotation. Now, the whole Rokie thing, that's a whole different topic that, you know, I'm not sure anybody really fully understands, because our eyes would tell you that maybe he's not major league ready right now. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Want to remind you that one week from yesterday, this next Thursday, next Thursday, May seventh, I'm gonna be out at our friends downy Hunday. My guy Sam is putting on a party with Alex Vesia and myself from four to five o'clock. We are going to interview Vessia. We're gonna have a good time. There's gonna be a DJ there's gonna be food, there's gonna be drinks. You wanna come out to Downy Hunday next Thursday, May seventh to join myself and Alex Vesia from four to five o'clock seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard in Downey, and we are gonna have a great time Downy Hunday. It's about the experience, and you can get more details on this experience at AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. All Right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Also you'll hear from Tommy Edmund after the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight seven to two on five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seven e LA Sports dot Com, hand on the iHeartRadio app Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight seven to two in Saint Louis, dropped their third straight They've lost eight of their last twelve and did not hit a home run tonight, so for the first time since twenty twenty three, the Dodgers go homerless for the fourth straight game. On the flip side, the Cardinals are one of the hotter teams in the National League. They are coming off a four game sweep of the Pirates, so they have won five in a row and they're very much in the NL Central race thanks to a very surprising offense to begin the year, led by Jordan Walker, who had four hits tonight to help the Cardinals beat Emmit Shean and the Dodgers seven to two. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit a five seventy lasports dot Com. Use the keyword home run. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Uh. Look, when the Dodgers are flat like this, they're not really fun to watch and you're just wondering, how can all these great hitters go into a slump at the same time. And that's That's one of those baseball mysteries that are hard to understand. We always just lean on the default that hitting is contagious. When you're going good, everybody's feeling great and you're rolling. Other times, when you're in a slump, it's contagious and everybody's cold. But when that happens, everybody wants to be the hero. And then you start pressing, and that's when it starts to look like it looked tonight. You start expanding your zone, your strike zone, and you swing at pitches out of the strike zone and not in a place that you can do some damage with. And I think we're seeing that. Really, the only Dodger that has been consistent is Max Munsey, and I know there's been a lot written about him in the last week about the eyeglasses, about all that. I mean, if you go back to what we talked about last year, so many of you were off the Munseie bandwagon but didn't understand until he came back his function in the lineup. Yes, he's he came into the league as a three true outcome player walk, home run, or strike out, but he has made a concerted effort to be a much better hitter than that. And the one thing that wasn't written about when it comes to Max Munsey's worth is how many pitches he sees per at bat, understands the situation, understands whether or not it's time to ambush the first pitch, whether or not depending on who's hitting in front of him. Like Andy Paz, who swings at everything, is it time for him to be a little bit more patient and go deeper into the count. That is the function of Max Munsey. And you know what, I know what Dave Roberts is thinking. The bottom third of the order against the lefty like Matthew Libertore. I know what he's thinking. I need Muncy in that area sandwiched between Rojas and Paz because they may especially Pahz will swing at the first pitch, and you need a guy it attacks the opposing pitcher. But Taoscar Hernandez is hitting two thirty eight, he's not really doing much power. If I'm Dave Roberts, you know who's hitting cleanup for me tomorrow, It's Max Munsey. Let's get back to the guys that got you there, right, Max Munsey should be hitting cleanup. Kyle tu probably should be hitting fifth or sixth in this lineup right now, that's where he did the most damage when he was with the Astros, when he was hitting fifth behind guys like Bregman and jor Don Alvarez. Let's get back to Max Munsey being the cleanup hitter. If this lineup is that stagnant, and I hate to say this, but he is. He has the second most home runs on the team. He has seventeen RBIs, his ops is almost thirteen hundred. He right now is the hottest Dodger hitter. And his name's Dalton Rushing. And he didn't get in at bat tonight. And I know, if you're Dave Roberts, it's hard to get him in a bat because Freddie Freeman's at first base, Will Smith is catching, so he can't get in there every night. But I'm just letting you know that right now, with this lineup, with so many guys scuffling, when you don't have Dalton Rushing in this lineup, it's not the same at least right now. The month of April belonged to Dalton Rushing and Max Munsey on this team, more Rushing than anybody else. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Dalton Rushing should split time with Will Smith because that's only going to hurt Will Smith. And Will Smith to me, along with Max Munsey, are the two most underrated Dodgers period, the two most underrated Dodgers. Max Munsey's defense has been stellar this year. It was really good last year. If it wasn't for his incredible stab at Andres Jimenez's line drive in the eighth inning of last year's Game seven, the Blue Jays win the World Series. If it wasn't for Max Munsey's home run to pull the Dodgers within a run off a tree is savage in Game seven of the World Series, the Dodgers don't win the World Series. There is no Miguel Rojas game tying home run. Will Smith hit the go ahead home run in the eleventh inning of Game seven last year. He also caught more innings than any other catcher in the history of the World Series, including all eighteen innings. He's just not a self promoter. He's not a guy that's gonna go on a media tour. He's not a guy that loves to be in front of the camera or the microphone, and that's fine, that's him. But he's a really good teammate and he's a really good hitter. And I would argue that Muncie, will Smith and Freddie Freeman are the three most clutch hitters on the Dodgers for the last three years. Will Smith since he got here in twenty nineteen. Remember walk off weekend against the Rockies. That was the beginning of will Smith being one of the most clutch players on the Dodgers and in Major League Baseball. The problem is, will Smith and Freddie Freeman play the positions that Dalton Rushing play and he got Shoe hal Tani as the DH so right now, that's a problem. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers are winning for tom Yedman as well. He is the twenty four NLCSMVP. He's a back to back World Series champion. He's a guy that could play second, short, third, center, left, right, anywhere you want to play, he could play there. But he's been hampered by this right ankle since he was with the Cardinals. So he finally had something done about it. Had off season surgery and he's not eligible to come off the IL until the end of this month. Whether or not that happens still remains to be seen, because he doesn't seem to me moving past running in the straight line, So that makes you wonder. And I had a chance to catch up with Tomy Edmond on the pregame show today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. It's it's tough when you know, we're baseball players and you know, or a lot of the time we find our value and just like how we're contributing on the field. But you know, I'm trying to do everything I can to, you know, just stay part of the team and and be the best cheerleader that I can be, and you know, just supporting, supporting everybody, supporting all the guys who are going through the grind and you know, hopefully I'll be a part of it soon.
Speaker 2: Have some of the young guys try to lean on you, like Alex Freeland, maybe he's Sun Kim here and there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. You've seeing, uh, you know, seeing everybody go through the stuff of a regular season, you know, all the ups and downs, and you know, me not really not being able to to relate since I'm not playing, But you know, I've I've been able to have some good conversations with some of the guys and you know, just kind of trying to relate some of my own experiences and hopefully be a good influence and be a good leader for them.
Speaker 2: What's your therapy to try to maintain your patience until you come back.
Speaker 4: You know, it's we have a having two kids mix things a lot of easier. You know, there's not much downtime even when even when I'm not playing, So I guess that's been a good part of it is, you know, just getting a little bit of extra time with the family. And you know, Eli is going to be a really good hitter by the end of my ile stint because we're playing a lot of ball in the backyard right now.
Speaker 2: All right. I guess that's the positive. Eli's getting a lot of time with his dad, Tommy Edmund. But the Dodgers would love to get him back, and that would make this lineup even deeper. And talk about a guy that is not trying to hit home runs, understands his role hitting at the bottom of the lineup to be essentially another leadoff hitter Tommy Edmund definitely is missed. And Keith a Hernandez, who is eligible to come off the IL May twenty third or May twenty fourth, he's missed as well. He could play a lot of different positions and certainly is a second half guy and tober players. So key K is on his way back. He should be going out on a rehab assignment here while the Dodgers are on the road trip, and if not, when they come back home. So key K, a Hernandez and Tommy Edmund eligible to come off the IL at the end of May. So we'll see when those guys come back. And I feel like Kei K he's ready to go right now if you ask him. So the Dodgers will have to make a decision amongst Santiago Espinal, Alex Freeland and Hayesan Kim who gets sent down when KEYK a Hernandez returns at the end of the month. But there's a lot of time between now and then, and we'll see how long it takes for Tommy Edmund to come back. Right now, the platoon of Rojas and Alex Freeland at second base is working out pretty well. You get KEYK back. He could play some second base as well. So I think the Dodgers just want that right ankle, and same with Tommy Edmand to just cooperate a little bit something it hasn't done the last two years. All right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight. Coming up tomorrow, Roki Sasaki will be on the mound for the Dodgers. It's a flip a coin type of day with which Rokie you're going to get. He's one and two with an ERA of six thirty five. I will say this, he threw more strikes in his last start than he has all season long because he has tweaked how he's throwing that splitter. So he was able to throw that for strikes fifty three percent of the time in his last start. Let's see if he can build off that. Let's see if he can duplicate that. At the very least, the Dodgers are going up against twenty five year old right hander Michael McCreevy, who in six starts for Saint Louis has an ERA of two ninety seven. McCreevy's record is one and two this year. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at three o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at four fifteen. That'll do it for us tonight. Thanks to Daniel west Back at Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app, subscribe, make it a preset. Dodger Talk is where you find well. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app and on the iHeartRadio app. There's a microphone there. You could give us feedback, you can subscribe, you can make it a preset. That's where you can hear our conversation with Joe Kelly from last night and Tommy Edmund before today's game. Once again. The final score tonight from Saint Louis. The Dodgers fall to the Cardinals seven to two. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next see them.
Speaker 1: This has been another edition of world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: We are back to be yet to.
Speaker 1: Catch anything you miss, be sure to subscribe and follow us wherever you get your podcasts. Dodger Talk has been brought to you by first five California and by Daniel Jewelers, official sponsor of every trip around the Diamond, Own the Tree.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers the best team ever. I mean, that's the best team I've ever seen assembled on paper.
Speaker 1: Join us next time as the Quest for the three pet continues on your exclusive home of the Dodgers Audio Network.