Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: Fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're got to running back to.
Speaker 1: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasselas day.
Speaker 2: It's great to be a Dodger fan these days, as they have baseball's best record fourteen to four, a great start after coming off back to back World Series championships. David vasse Dodger Talk with you until eleven thirty tonight right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers beat the Mets tonight by a final score of eight to two, hand the Mets their eighth straight loss. As the Mets are reeling right now twelve they don't have won Soto, but the Dodgers are not feeling sorry for anybody. They're fourteen and four undefeated against National League teams this year. To begin the year, the Dodgers are off to a great start and have not lost a single game to the National League. They are nine to zero against National League teams. They've lost one game to Rangers, they've lost one game to the Blue Jays, and they've only lost one series so far to begin the season. That was losing two out of three to the Guardians on their opening Homestand other than that, things are great for the Dodgers. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy And what a night for show, hey Otani? Like I said during the Clubhouse Show, Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman seem to be pushing all the right buttons, and they have pretty nice buttons to push, shiny shiny buttons to push. And tonight they decided, after Otani was hit by the pitch from David Peterson on the upper right shoulder on in the first game of the series on Monday night, they decided, you know what, show hey, we had baseball's best record. We took two out of three from the Rangers. We've taken the first two against the Mets. We have a day off tomorrow, and we start thirteen in a row on Friday, including four games at cors Field, which is unforgiving to the body, how about tonight we play it safe and you just pitch. And the reason why it's such a big deal is because it hasn't happened since twenty twenty one. May have twenty twenty one, that was the last time show he Otani started a game on the mound and was not in his team's starting lineup as the DH. And by the way, the Otani rule was out the window tonight. Thoughtani not in the starting lineup, but as a pitcher, just like any other pitcher. Once Dave Roberts took him out of the game, he could not come back as a hitter. Now, if he did a double switch and put him in left field, which was not going to happen, he could have stayed in the game, but you would lose your DH. So either way, Otani rule was not in play tonight, and the Dodgers certainly did not need it as they beat the Mets eight to two. Hayesan Kim a great game tonight at shortstop. Not only does he hit a two run home run to start the scoring off of Clay Holmes in the second inning, but he made a spectacular play at shortstop, robbing Luis Robert of a base hit diving up the middle to end the eighth inning. So a great night for Haysan Kim, an even better night for Dalton Rushing, who hits his first career grand slam. Rushing and Kim combined to drive in six of the Dodgers eight runs tonight. And I mentioned this going back to when we were in Toronto, and it is still holding true. The Dodgers seven eight nine hitters are out producing the top of the order. They have coming into this game a nine thirteen OPS, a three to twenty eight batting average, a three eighty eight on base percentage, and they have a five twenty five slugging percentage. And with the two home runs tonight from your seven and eight hitters in Rushing and Kim, the grand slam by Rushing, the two run home run by Kim, the Dodgers seven eight nine hitters now have combined to hit ten home runs and drive in thirty four runs. I feel like that's more production than what the Mets are getting from all nine of their hitters at this point. So I can't stress it enough. Even Day Roberts validated this two weeks ago on the way to the twenty twenty four Championship. The seven eight nine hitters in particular were outstanding turning the lineup over getting on base for Otani, Freddie Mooki, Taoscar Hernandez, and I remember talking to members of the Padres coaching staff during that NLDS in twenty four, and for the first three games, they did a great job of keeping the eight to nine hitters off the bases and having Otani come up with the bases empty. That's every team's strategy. Do not allow the bottom third of the Dodgers' order to get on base and flip that lineup over for the top of the order, specifically Otani. When the Dodgers started doing that in Games four and Games five and the rest of the postseason, and in particular Gavin Lux finding a way to get on base, things started to take off for the Dodger offense in the NLDS, the NLCS.
Speaker 3: And the World Series.
Speaker 2: So that is so key to the Dodgers' success, those three spots at the bottom of the order, and Andy Paiez has had a big hand in it. He is now moving up in the Dodgers order, but to begin the year he was hitting seventh. He now has five home runs and twenty RBIs and big night for Dalton Rushing and certainly a big night for the Dodgers as they defeat the Mets eight to two. By the way, when it comes to Otani, he had twenty two swings and misses tonight. That's the most swings and misses he has had in one game as a Dodger pitcher. Albeit last year he was still coming back as a pitcher, but still impressive tonight. And he did it with his fastball. He threw his fastball tonight more than he has in any other start and really attack these Mets hitters that are struggling and don't seem to have the bat speed to catch up to an ota fastball. I thought my favorite at bat was Francisco Lindor going toe to toe with Otani in the third inning with two outs. He worked an eleven pitch at bat. Unfortunately for Lindor, the eleventh pitch was one hundreds an hour up and away, and all Lindor could do was smile, and O'tani smiled as well, that devilish smirk walking off the mound, knowing that hey, I still got it in my back pocket when I need it. But Otani tonight through ninety five pitches, fifty one of them were fastballs, and then he started to work in his curveball. He used his split fingered fastball when he needed it. I loved this in sync rhythm. Him and Will Smith were in all night long, and you even saw show hey Otani point to Smith a couple of times when they were coming off the field together and signaling to Will Smith. That was a great call, in particular calling with two strikes on Old Bishit a split fingered fastball that Bischett swung and missed at. And that was the inning in the sixth Otani's final inning where he struck out the side. He struck out Robert, Beatty and Bishett in order and certainly gave his catcher Will Smith a lot of love. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open. Before we go to the phone calls, I want you to hear from Dave Roberts before today's game, just going through why he decided to make this decision to have Otani pitch and not hit tonight.
Speaker 4: You know, not really in the sense because if it weren't for the hit by pitch.
Speaker 3: He would have.
Speaker 4: Been dhing and pitching tonight. But I do think that just to be able to pitch and focus on that I think will be of benefit for the mind and the body and hopefully, you know, we're just in a little moment of fatigue and we can get past it, which I think that, you know, talking to Thomas today show, Hey, came in feeling good. But we're going to keep a watchful eye on him.
Speaker 3: Though Tomorrow made that decision the.
Speaker 4: Extra that was more the decision of pitching them having that lined up. But again, if he wouldn't have got hit, he would have dhday. So I just think in this one game, it just makes most sense to give them the best chance to kind of manage the shoulder in the back.
Speaker 5: To be clear, you expect him to hit next to start?
Speaker 3: We do, yes, he's in plays out.
Speaker 6: Would you consider doing this again if there was a situation by being hit by a page or something.
Speaker 4: Over Yeah, I mean I think that it's something that you know, I'm going to keep an eye on if it makes sense, but not just kind of do it proactively. I think it's something that the game show, Hey, that's got to it's to make sense to not have you know your best hit or not in the lineup.
Speaker 6: Since he started pitching again last year, you've been asked repeatedly about whether or not he should be moved down to the lineup when he pitches. Do you believe this is a lot more beneficial than him hitting second or third in the line of when he pitches at home?
Speaker 4: Well, I think today, specific to today, I think this is the right decision. This is the best decision for him to not hit today. Then the question is when he does hit on days that he pitches, where's the best for him to hit in the order. I think there's fair arguments to both to moving him down a little bit, to give him a breather, let him get into the game. But I'm not prepared to make that decision quite yet. But it is something that it's it's unmindful of.
Speaker 3: It, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Dave Roberts, and it seems like a lot of things are on the table as we moved through this season. The first that o'tani will be pitching and hitting as a Dodger from day one to the end of the season and into October, and that's the biggest thing everybody has to keep in mind, not only when it pertains to Otani, but everybody else on the Dodgers. It's not just about April, May, June, July. It's about October and having these guys hitting their stride and feeling fresh to be able to perform in October. So that's the big picture the Dodgers have in mind, and certainly it served them well the last two years, specifically winning back to back championships, and today it certainly was the right decision because the Dodgers DH Dalton Rushing really delivered, as in the second inning before Kim's two run home run, Rushing was down two on the first two pitches of his first SAT bat, and then he layd the double down the right field line to set up Kim's two run home run, and then in the eighth inning. I gotta give a lot of love to Taoscar Hernandez again because I was a firm believer this was going to be a huge redemption season for Taoscar Hernandez. So many of you were itching to trade him during the offseason, so many of you were down on him last year. He was dealing with a groin injury, and he plipped through it. Who can second guess whether or not that was the right decision or not. But the fact is, without Taoscar Hernandez hitting a go ahead, three run home run in Philly in Game one, the Dodgers are not advancing to the NLCS. He's one of the more clutch players they have, and now he's lost fifteen to eighteen pounds coming into the year, and he beat out a routine ground ball to Francisco Lindor to open the door for Dalton Rushing to hit his grand Slam in the eighth inning. Not to mention his diving attempt to try to catch a fly ball that was a flare from Francisco Alvarez and left field instead excuse me from Carson bench with Alvarez at first base. Alvarez did not get a good read on it, he didn't understand what was happening. Taoscar trapped it and had the presence of mind to throw right away accurately to get the force out at second base in the fifth inning. So Taoscar Hernandez has come big to start this year, and I don't see him slowing down anytime. Not to mention a home run as well, eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Mets eight to two and hand them their eighth straight loss. Let's go out to Whittier, Ed you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Lead us off, ed, Hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call. My pleasure just leaving the game right now. What a great game on Jackie Robinson Day. Oh, TONI was lights out and it was great to see tay Oscar making plays and beating out that ground ball. My question is about Edwin Diaz. Do you think there's anything more there? Do you think he's the injured or anything. I mean, I know tonight was in a safe situation, but when do you think we'll see him back in the game, you know, in the ninth.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked about that, Ed, because Edwin Diaz was warming up at the eighth inning was unfolding. It was still a safe situation before Dalton Rushing and Kyle Tucker homered in that eighth inning to make it a blowout game. But Edwin Diaz was warming up in the Dodger bullpen in the eighth inning and he was going to come in for the save if it turned out to go that way. Instead, the Dodger offense scored five runs thanks to a rushing Slam and a Tucker solo home run, so Dave Roberts decided to sit him down. But yeah, he was getting hot for the ninth inning, which was a great sign that he was feeling good enough, and Dave Roberts felt confident to bring him into the game if it were a safe situation. So all as well for now ed.
Speaker 7: Great to hear Dave appreciate it, looking forward to a great season.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, ed, thanks for coming out to Dodgers Stadium. It's a it's not a game anymore. When you come out here, it's an event, and tonight was an event. Jackie Robinson Day. Before the game, the Dodgers and Mets gathered around the Jackie Robinson statue in the centerfield plaza. Dave Roberts had some words. Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum, was in the house and he gave a history lesson and that was powerful. And before we say goodnight, we're going to share my conversation with Bob Kendrick before eleven thirty, so stick around for that. He's a great man. And if you ever are in Kansas City or go to see the Dodgers out there. That is a must to go to the Negro League Museum. It is spectacular. Eight six six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Kate in Torrance. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassi.
Speaker 8: Hi, Kate, Hi, this.
Speaker 5: Was an AMPM game. Too much good stuff, and I'm a little worried that Daniels Jewelers is going to run out of bracelets.
Speaker 2: Really what we got we got fifty dollars gift cards to if you're you know what you should be entering to play this game. With the home runs the Dodgers are hitting these days, Kate.
Speaker 8: I should.
Speaker 5: I have to give a shout out to my fan Moncie for finally doing his classic drying a walk. I was just that was wonderful to see. But just a great way to honor Jackie Robinson tonight with all the hustle, and yeah, I'd love our that our seventy nine are better than some guys one two three.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're they're better than one two, three through nine as far as the Mets are concerned these days. Kate, Hey, Hey, Kate, Before I let you go, you want to say the tag Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 5: Own the Dream with Daniels Jewelers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, not as good as Rick Monday, but we'll take it. Daniels Jewelers, by the way, does present the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Like Kate, should go to AM five seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Dodgers beat the Mets eight to two, and what a pitching performance by the Dodgers in this three game sweep. Robleski, Yamamoto and Otani Tonight combine to pitch twenty one and two thirds innings. They allowed just two earned runs and struck out twenty nine Mets in this three game sweep as they dominated the Mets. You know, coming into the series, it was billed as two Goliath as far as payrolls go. Well, like I said many times, the Dodgers are more than just their payroll, and I was happy to hear the National TV broadcast even point that out. You had a guy in Dalton Rushing who the Dodgers drafted and develop DH tonight and hit a Grand Slam, And you had Andy Piz. And you have Andy Piez who is now in his second full season, who was signed by the Dodgers, developed by the Dodgers, and now he's one of the elite center fielders and the best hitter in baseball right now. Coming into the game tonight, Piz three ninety seven with five home runs and twenty RBIs. His average now has increased to four to oh nine after having two more hits tonight and his ops at eleven forty eight. So the Dodgers are way more than just a bunch of guys that have been bought. And you can thank other teams for saying no. Thanks to Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman for part of that, and the Dodgers said yes, yes, please Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman and Taioscar Hernandez eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number we're going to eleven thirty. We had a chance to catch up with the star of the game tonight. No not show Heyo Tani the other DH. Tonight's dh Dalton Rushing, who hit his first career Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was fun.
Speaker 9: Obviously you you can't get used to dhing for the Dodgers, but yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was a good night.
Speaker 9: Results showed and once again just got I could help this team win and obviously your first career Grand Slam feels pretty good.
Speaker 3: How did you stay ready?
Speaker 2: This is not something you're used to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've been, whether it's Trae Jack hitting in the cages, simplifying the approach, I think the main thing being just simplifying things. The simpler I am in the box, the more I see results, the more I produce, and the more I help this team win. And at the end of the day, that's the most important part.
Speaker 2: What can you say about the way Otani pitched tonight? Even though you weren't catching, you had a pretty good view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's special man.
Speaker 9: It's obviously everyone knows what he can do with a baseball, whether he's on the mound or he's in the box. But to be able to see him to kind of just go full fledge on the mound and just be able to put all of his trust and all of his work into everything pitch by pitch and it showed off. He uh, he looked nasty once again.
Speaker 3: Thanks for stopping. Enjoy the celebration inside. Absolutely a beast.
Speaker 2: Thank you Dalton Rushing, a big double to set up the two run home run by Hayesun Kim in the second inning. And then the big blow, a grand slam, a first pitch from Devin Williams, the newly signed closer. Not many games to close for the Mets, by the way these days, but Devin Williams had to get in sometime, and they brought him in and things really went off the rails for him. A first pitch change up up in the zone eighty five miles an hour.
Speaker 3: That's like J. T.
Speaker 2: Watkins or Dino Ebel or Jose Viscayano throwing BP fastballs to Dalton Rushing at four o'clock in the afternoon. He's not missing that. And that one went four hundred and twelve feet over the center field wall. And look, I know Freddy Freeman doesn't want to take days off, but the Dodgers are going to Denver, Colorado four games. Freddie double tonight is five hundred and fifty third double of his career, just seven shy from tying Eddie Murray and Jeff Kent Hall of famers, But why not mix in rushing more at first base? Why not get Freddy Freeman off his feet? Maybe even the next time Otani's not the DH? How about Freddie Freeman DH? How about Dalton rushing play for a space? There's a lot of different scenarios here to keep a lot of guys fresh, and the Dodgers certainly are playing with house money right now. Fourteen and four baseball's best record. But I can't stress enough how fragile all this is. I mean, you look back at last year and it felt like smoking mirrors to a certain extent for the Mets. But in June they had the best record in baseball and completely floundered the second half last year. I don't believe that's going to happen with the Dodgers. That hasn't been their history since twenty thirteen. But what I will say is that, yes, things are going great right now. The Dodgers seem to be like a freight train that nobody can stop. But it's very fragile. The one thing I could tell you is those players, that coaching staff, that front office are not taking any of this for granted in saying, you know what we got this, let's just fast forward to October. You don't see lesser players taking ground balls every single day like the way you see Freddie Freeman, like you see Mookie Beds, Keik Hernandez, Max Munsey, Miguel Rojas. Those guys are out here every single day. They're not taking spa days. They're pushing the foot on the gas even with this great start. And like I said, that's what makes the elite players elite. Paz out here every day. Taoscar Hernandez now coming out here to work, Kyle Tucker coming out to try to get fly balls as well. And Tucker homered in the eighth inning tonight, and Taoscar Hernandez through the sunflower seeds and a stoic look on his face when he did. I mean, he's still Kyle Tucker, but it was great to see him have some results here at Dodger Stadium the last two nights. Let's go out to Buena Park. Sam, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 8: Sam, Hey, thanks day for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 10: I went off to the game today. It's great.
Speaker 8: Jack and Robinson Day.
Speaker 10: But you know, I just want to point out and talk about the Dodgers, their record or their pace of going for one hundred and twenty wins and possibly beating the Murderers record. The Murders they were at a twenty games and five lost five lost pace. So possibly this road trip, you know, we go five and two. You know, I think we go seven to zero, but you know that puts us at nineteen and six, Dave, So what's your thoughts on them? Man?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't see the Dodgers losing to a college baseball coach in San Francisco next week, so I do see them winning all three games against the Giants, the Tennessee Giants, and as far as the Rockies series, the four game series, I could see. You know, Denver is a wild place, a lot of wacky things happened there. It's going to be extremely cold as well, so I would take us at course Field. I could see a three to one four game series and Nver. But look, Sam, I could tell you this if that record is broken in the process of the Dodgers just going and sticking with their game plan like tonight, for example, Otani not hitting Otani pitching then great, but they're not going to chase it. They never tried to chase it last year. They never tried to chase it before. So if it happens in the process of their plan for the regular season, fine, but they're not going to chase it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think we're just too deep deep this year that they just without even trying, they're going to get a hundred ten. So anyways, man, see you and I'm going to be back at Dodger Stadium on Susaki Bobblehead Night and I'll go dog no.
Speaker 2: All right, Sam, you know Sasaki Bobblehead Night. There's a bigger anniversary on that night, April twenty fifth. It's the fiftieth anniversary of Rick saving the American flag at Dodgers Stadium. That's what April twenty fifth is about. Awesome, all right, Sam, thank you for the phone call. Can't wait to see you out here for Sasaki Bobblehead Night. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out when we continue more of your phone calls, Jose Mobile check in. We'll give you a Blake Snell update and also you will hear from Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum, on this beautiful Jackie Robinson day, even sweeter when Jackie's Dodgers beat the Mets eight to two on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports. Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk. I love those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too. Come find it. Back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 11: Bases loaded, no outs, three to one, Dodgers Williams to Rushing, first pitch hit in the air right centerfield, proper back hit the wall.
Speaker 1: Hit scanned.
Speaker 11: N a dagger from Dulton Rushing.
Speaker 2: Brick Monday and Steven Elson on the call tonight. Dalton Rushing put this game away in the eighth inning with his first career grand slam. The Dodgers homeward four times tonight to beat the Mets eight to two and complete the three games sweep. The Dodgers had a very successful homestand taking two out of three from the Ranger and winning all three against the Mets. Sho hey Otani tonight pitched, did not hit, six innings, ten strikeouts, two hits allowed, two walks, one earn run. He's now two to zero on the season and it was Clay Holmes taking the loss. He is now two and two for the Mets. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Quick update on Blake Snell. He threw another LIVEVP before today's game. He simulated two innings. Dave Roberts said they would like Snell to do this one more time, simulate three innings, and then likely will go out on a rehab assignment. I'm sticking with my original prediction of over under single demyo for Blake's net to this rotation, and that makes things even scarier for the rest of the league because the Dodgers have the best record in baseball. They have not lost to a National League team. They're fourteen and four. They don't have keyk Hernandez, they don't have Tommy Edmund, they don't have Mookie Betts right now, they don't have Blake Snell, and oh, by the way, Evan Phillips and Bruce Starr, Graderol and Brock Stewart are supposed to be coming back between now and July at different points in time. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Mets tonight eight to two. Let's go out to Bob and Malibu. Bob, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob?
Speaker 12: Uncle Dave. Good to be with you, man, Me and the kids staying up late here to listen to you on Dodger Talk tonight. Man, So a pleasure to be with you. A good win, Dave. I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you up in?
Speaker 12: Are you up in the booth with Rick and Stephen while they're announcing the game?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I sit behind them, Okay in the eighth inning?
Speaker 3: What I feel like it? Kim?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it an eighth inning before I song. Kim made beautiful stab to Rob Robert. Yeah, to play Before that, Rick made a hilarious comment. And we're so lucky to have Rick Monday on the cult because his knowledge of the game and his history is just so deep. Did you hear his comment when he told the listeners that someone needs to tell haus On Kim he doesn't need to look for the commissioner's signature on the baseball before he throws it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: And Rick's got a great quick sense of humor like that. And I don't think Kim was looking for the baseball when he made that diving stop on Robert and threw him out to end the eighth inning. But yeah, you're right, Bob. We are very lucky to have Rick Monday. He is the longest active tenure Dodger broadcaster. It goes back to the studio but play by play nineteen ninety three when he took over after Don Drysdale unexpectedly passed away. And Rick has seen a lot of baseball from Mickey Mannle and Willie Mays. To show Tani, not too many guys can say that in the booth.
Speaker 12: He was cracking me up, man, and he's always You're right, He's quick witted, and he's just got so much knowledge. So truly a pleasure to have that guy on the call. Man and lucky you to be sitting behind him when you choose.
Speaker 2: Dave, Hey, I say, lucky Rick Monday. How about that, Bob, I'm sure he's driving off the road right now. Thanks Bob, appreciate it. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter. I'm sure I'll hear about that. Let's head out to Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: What a night for the Dodgers Jose Mota first time since twenty twenty one. Show Hey, Otani is not the DH when he's pitching. But like shoe Hey said, they had a pretty good DH tonight.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 8: I'm glad that I worked out so nicely for rushing for the guy. But about show, Hey, Dave, you're measuring soul right show. He is a guy that he could reinvent himself so quickly before a start, and today it was about fastballs. I pay a lot of attention to what he does before the game, throwing now from the like the shortstop side behind shortstop to the left field corner, part of the new routine as he gets before he goes to the bullpen, and I saw the fastball life. I mean, it wasn't just a ninety seven coming out of any arm. It was a live descent with a lot of life, a lot of popping, a lot of late life getting to the hitters. That's why he saw so many as soon as a misses. And again, you know, his four seam fastball at times can cut as the era Mirs told me here against the Guardians, and today you see it running a whole lot like a two seamer. So it's just wonderful to watch this guy go out there and just find a way to flood the zone and whatever's working he does and will Smith again a fantastic job doing some things behind the ploye that perhaps Poltani was not getting ready to do, and convincing him to throw a couple of pitches in crucial times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about this scenario tonight? Do you believe that we could see this again where Otani does he pitches maybe when we get into the dog days.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 8: I think it's gonna be beneficial for show. Hey, he always wants to pitch, he always wants to compete on both sides of it's healthy. But I think that you know, part of the things that I was talking with Dave Roberts about when show her was like, you know, you got to protect show from show. Hey, he's always going to say, yes, you have to protect showhill Tony from Show hill Tony. He's not going to get me younger. He wants to compete at the highest levels. He's gonna challenge himself to be better, and it's to be it'd be a plug for many reasons. You mentioned Freddie Freeman and getting him out swiftly obviously, and then for show Hey, it's just a mentality of just not worrying about too many swings between pitching and de aging and just a lot of swings while he's the aging, just going after and just concentrating and keep that arm loose as a pitcher and going deep as possible, because you know, one thing is he's going to keep pushing to go deeper in games, and it's going to be quite ideal for him to sometimes just not have to worry about hitting, especially when the Dodgers have a he brought to some guys then go out there and also do a fine job.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sun Kim had a nice game tonight, a two run home run.
Speaker 3: What can you say.
Speaker 2: About just the bottom of the Dodgers order at Like I mentioned earlier, Rushing and Kim combined for six RBIs tonight, And if it's not for Rushing keeping that inning alive with a two strike, two out double, there is no.
Speaker 3: Two run home run for Hayesan Kim.
Speaker 8: You know, Dave, Dave Roberts had some individual talks with some guys in the spring training about the acquisition of a Kyle Tucker right movie Mookie down at number three, but he mostly spoke with the pizes of the world and ta Oscar and Munsei and guys are going to be right there in the bottom, like Kim himself, and it was about, hey, you know, don't get caught up and all these stars having to carry us. You guys are as important anybody. So it goes back to the preparation in this organization, just not using so much the star players to say if you don't hit, we can't we can't win. I mean, if you're not performing. It's about telling the guys in the bottom at some point, we're going to need so much of you. It's a long season. There's gonna be times when they're going to carry at the top. But right now what we see in is a plus, and there's many teams that would love to have something happened like this because as a lineup turns around and you're making the you know, comparison with the Pods and a couple of years ago, it is it is a pain for pictures to get can't let on. I mean the long the game gets very long, and the lineups get a lot sicker. Knowing that in your mind is like if I can get through seven, eight, nine and then get to the top, it's gonna be a lot easier where it's not. Because guys are putting together good best. This that we see it now is not going to continue for the rest of the season, but it can be as good or not even just better than the past couple of years because the guys are more experienced. Guys are hitting down there could be hitting three, four or five for some of the teams. Is not happening. But I know the guys understand what Dave Robays was saying to them, saying, when you have it, go out there and take it and don't like any team any picture take you lightly make him pay. And they are making them pay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, can't wait to see on the plane tomorrow. It was a great Jackie Robinson day here at Dodgers Stadium. I know how much he meant to your dad and means to so many people, but you know, people like your dad got to meet him, and that's really special.
Speaker 8: Very very special day, no doubt about it. Considering he was also the first color commentator with a dark skin a national broadcaster ABC. Is wonderful to be following those footsteps and all that he cracked though for so many of us in so many ways and makes us feel quite proud. And I am also very lucky to be on the air with you.
Speaker 3: All right, Jse, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: We'll see on the plane tomorrow. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast after the Dodgers sweep the Mets in this three game series with an eight to two win. Remember how this series started justin Robleski eight scoreless innings. Last night we had a picture duel between Yamamoto and Nolan McLain and the Dodger bullpen pitch better than the Mets bullpen to win two to one. And then tonight you had Otani six innings, ten strikeouts, and the Dodgers sweep the Mets, who are reeling right now. They've lost eight in a row, their records seven and seven and twelve, while the Dodgers are fourteen and four. And today was a great day all around because the Dodgers won. But it started great because, as it has become tradition with the Jackie Robinson statue now in that beautiful center field plaza, whoever the Dodgers are playing, they will both go out there in full uniform before the game around two thirty this afternoon and really reflect on the legacy and what Jackie Robinson meant to everybody into this country as far as the civil rights movement goes. And the Dodgers have had everybody from Kareem Abdul Jabbard to Reggie Smith out there addressing the Dodgers and their opponent. And today the Dodgers invited Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum, to come out and address the Mets and Dodgers. And I had a chance to catch up with Bob after his incredible speech and his incredible history lesson to all of us.
Speaker 13: Yeah, now it's great to be back here at Dodgers Stadium, to be here in the great city of LA And what an incredible celebration this is every year, but for me, it means so much more to actually be here as part of this celebration.
Speaker 2: What did it mean to you when the Dodgers asked you to come to La, come to Dodgers Stadium and in the shadow of this statue speak to the Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 3: It was special. It was special.
Speaker 13: So you feel a very strong sense of pride that they think enough of the work that we do there in Kansas City that it would be meaningful for me to be here to deliver the address to the two ball clubs. And so that means a great deal to all of us at the Negro League's Baseball Museum.
Speaker 2: Those of us that have visited several times. I remember my first time was with Andre Ethier, and you give us not only a history lesson in baseball, but a history lesson in American history.
Speaker 3: Is that way you were.
Speaker 2: Trying to convey to these ballplayers that may not.
Speaker 13: Know you know, because with each generation we move further and further away. Because I have to remind myself not to take for granted that everyone knows Jackie's incredible story, because the byproduct of progress is that we have a tendency to forget, and we cannot forget what Jackie was able to do.
Speaker 3: And you're right, Jackie's.
Speaker 13: Story, the story of the negro leagues in general, is much bigger than the game of baseball, yet it's still just a tiny part of the great story of the game of baseball. And anytime that we get the opportunity to elevate the awareness, hopefully the interest, and remind people of just how courageous Jackie Robinson was, we want to make sure that we take full advantage of that and for me to be able to make the connectivity to his incredible story back to the negro leagues, because this does not.
Speaker 3: Happen without the negro Leagues.
Speaker 13: Now, you've got to think that baseball would have integrated at some point.
Speaker 3: In time, but who knows how long?
Speaker 13: And then where were those players going to come from if you did not have the negro leagues?
Speaker 3: And so the stories cannot be separated. But a lot of.
Speaker 13: People don't know that side of his story as it relates to his time in Kansas City with the Great Kansas City monarchs.
Speaker 2: I love how Bob Kendrick reminded everybody what Jackie Robinson did was before Rosa Parks, was before doctor Martin Luther King Junior. He is at the forefront of the civil rights movement.
Speaker 13: So you can effectively divide the twentieth century into two pieces, before Jackie and after Jackie. That's the found impact that he had, and he was the spark that ignited the civil rights movement in this country. Now, oftentimes people don't necessarily connect the two, but we do, and I think it is eye opening for people when they do learn how at the forefront of this movement he really was.
Speaker 2: Now, we love having Bob Kendrick in Los Angeles, but you have to get to Kansas City to the Negro League Baseball Museum. That is one of the more special places. And my favorite piece in that museum is the painting of the Dinner that we've heard don nucom tell many times before.
Speaker 13: Yes, the painting is called Grace, and Nuke told the story with great clarity, and he was so inspired when he would tell that story, and it was captivating, and he would oftentimes tell the story of how they had dinner. He Jackie Roy Campanella and Doctor King sitting down having dinner when Doctor King conveyed to them that he could not have done what they did because they were out there moving the needle for progress. Now Here is the greatest civil rights leader of all time acknowledging what Jackie did as an individual because he was playing a team sport when he took that field with the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was individualized, and that he could not have done it, and that they helped make his job easier. That alone should help us understand the impact of what Jackie was able to do. And then those other integration pioneers who followed Jackie, Yeah, the Don Newcomb's, the Roy Campanellos, the Junior Gilliams, the Joe Blacks, who are all tied to the Dodgers organization, all played a significant role in helping move the needle of progress forward. And I think that's what doctor King was relating, and that painting so beautifully depicts them. They're sitting at the dinner table holding hands while they're saying grace.
Speaker 2: Very powerful. Certainly is so is Bob Kendrick. There are so many ways to describe you, your genuine love for the stories that you tell and the meaning behind them come across, whether it's to the Dodgers or Mets, or to anybody that comes to visit the Negro League Hall of Fame the museum.
Speaker 3: So man, awesome to have you out here.
Speaker 2: Glad your knee is doing good and you still got the best style in America hands down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The news doing much better dinner.
Speaker 13: When I saw you last and I was trying to fake it, I was trying to move around with op my brace on.
Speaker 3: But the news much much much better.
Speaker 13: The thing that I've learned the olde I get the slur, the healing processes, but no is what a honor to be part of this celebration and to be back here at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: So thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget this Jackie Robinson Day. Thank you for stopping by. And awesome to do this with you in front of this statue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, this made it even special.
Speaker 13: And to have the two clubs gathered around this amazing piece of art that really is alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 13: Lives through all of them who played his game, and we wanted to remind him that they do carry that level of civic and social responsibility with them.
Speaker 3: We all do, we all do.
Speaker 1: Thank you Bob there.
Speaker 2: He is my guy, Bob Kendrick, more than just the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum. He's one one of a kind, all class, great person and we love having you here. So I know you're in demand today. You better get that me moving.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 2: He is Bob Kendrick, a great man. Great to have him out here at Dodger Stadium, the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum in the house tonight on Jackie Robinson Day, and I wasn't kidding. The best dressed guy in all of LA. And I've been fortunate enough to be able to experience a tour by Bob out there in Kansas City at the Negro League Baseball Museum. It is a great treasure and if you're ever in that area, you must go. It is a must if you're a baseball fan on your bucket lists. Just a an extraordinary museum. And I remember going there the first time with Andre Ethier. Really really special place. So thank you to Bob Kendrick for his time. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank Studios, and thanks to you for listening. Don't forget the Dodgers have a travel day tomorrow. They'll start a seven game road trip in Denver on Friday, which we'll take them with four games in Denver and then three more in San Francisco. Tyler Glass Now will be on the mound Friday from Corsfield. Our coverage begins at four point thirty, with first pitch at five point forty with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. The Dodgers really did a number on the Mets. They win all but one game on this six game homestand they're riding high with baseball's best record fourteen and four. Life is good coming up next Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio. I'm sure he's sour about something, but things are sunny right here. Have a great rest of your night. Once again. The final score, Dodgers beat the Mets eight to two.