Speaker 1: That Jane Weber Podcast is presented by Creative Planning, helping clients simplify their journey to financial wellness, one personalized plan at a time. That Jane Weber Podcast is a production of iHeartRadio Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the j Weber Podcast. Today we'll talk about how the economy has improved by nearly every measure over the last fourteen months, and I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that most Americans aren't noticing, which is of course the claim from the left wing media. Also, the military action against Iran was never going to end cleanly and we shouldn't expect it to. And some thoughts on Scott Pelley, a pompous pretender who I believe really just wanted to retire but decided to make himself the story and pretend that he's the last honestalist in America as he goes out. But first producer, extraordinary, Gregory John. I want to ask you to give me a ratio, you know, one in five, one and ten, one in twenty roughly, how many Americans do you think carry a concealed weapon for protection pretty much every day or base sickly whenever they leave the house.
Speaker 3: It got to be a low like one two percent.
Speaker 2: One two percent, Yeah, it's more like A new survey of a thousand Americans says it's more like thirteen percent. It's about one in ten. Wow, they say one in ten Americans, about thirteen percent say they routinely are packing heat as they go about their daily lives. I thought, you know, one to two percent would be low, but I would have thought maybe seven eight. So it's a double that that number doesn't really surprise me all that much. This one does. According to the same survey, nearly one in three people, nearly one in three say they carry sometimes or somewhat regularly. Thirty percent of the people in this country, or at least in this survey conducted last month, it was one thousand people say they carry a fire firearm at times.
Speaker 4: I have a I have a nephew that lives in San Antonio, Texas, and he carries all the time. We were down there a couple of summers ago, and yeah, he's packing.
Speaker 3: We go to the.
Speaker 4: Restaurant and everywhere we went, we went, we saw that, we went in the caves, he's still packing.
Speaker 2: Is he carrying openly? Can you see the guy, Yeah, you can see it openly. Yeah, well, I have a few people that carry concealed and do it regularly. They won't leave the house without their wallet, their keys, their gun. But this kind of these stats make it. I think it's safe to say that basically, anytime you're in a crowd or at a larger event, it means there are at least a few people around you who are carrying guns. With the normalization of carry laws as they are, I mean, this is something now that the vast majority of us simply never think about. But presumably at church, at the mall, out for dinner, at that kid's soccer game, in the public park, whatever, you're sitting near and around people who are packing some heat. So does that make you feel more or less safe?
Speaker 4: It makes me feel more safe because I know that these people most likely have gone through training and don't have the mindset a lot of these these thugs do.
Speaker 2: And be with you. These stats, I think prove that it's not about the gun, it's about the people who are carrying them or and or using them. These are people who are concerned about their own safety and you know, public safety in general. There, I'm with you. It kind of is good for me, reassuring to me that, well, if something really goes down in this venue or whatever, and the off chance that it would, you might have some people able to respond with like force. But you know what the average lefty Karen or Kevin's response would be, They just be mortified at this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you don't carry.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I haven't had a gun since we moved down here from up north, and that's like nineteen ninety. I left all my guns up north because Dorothy didn't want him around the kids, and then just never never got round to It's funny that you bring this up, because we were just talking about this about a month ago. It'saying, you know, maybe we should buy a gun just to keep in the house.
Speaker 3: I don't know if i'd.
Speaker 2: Carry, though i'd carry occasionally. I don't carry all the time, but I do carry occasionally, and I will and I'll do something that people say you shouldn't do when I'll just sort of put one in the car if I'm going in a place where I think that I think might be sketchy. But John Lott is this famous name when it comes to guns and crime research, and he's linking this tower to the lower crime rates that we're seeing. I'd really question that. Though crime seems to have dip since Trump got back into office and voter and some of these cities replace their woke DA's and demand that they do better. But there's no obvious correlation between people carrying guns for protection and lower crime rates. I think these same people were probably carrying in the Biden era too, right, So it's not like Trump got back into office in the third of the country said Okay, strap them up, I'm a regular gun carrier now. In fact, this pollster says thirty percent. That thirty percent figure is only up about six percent since the last survey, So I don't see the race and connection connection to dip in crime. But it is interesting to know that more than one in ten Americans now say they don't leave the house without their wallet, their keys, and their side arm. Also, they say about a third of the geographic area of the country is now working under constitutional carry, which means they don't even need a license or a permit to carry.
Speaker 4: You know, I was going to ask you, and I never did ask you this, what would be an appropriate gun for me to buy?
Speaker 2: Boy, that's a complicated question. It really kind of depends what you want, just small for protection. I like glocks myself, Okay, I like something with better than revolvers. Some people carry revolvers well that depending on the size, either five or six bullets. I would rather have a few more than that if something, if I really need them. But you should look at the smaller clocks.
Speaker 3: Okay, Dorothy, the Father's Day just around the corner.
Speaker 2: I would also point out before we move on here, none of the anti gun crowds predictions have come true. Remember, it's going to be like the Wild West in America if we start to legalize concealed carry or open carry. These are Americans who've decided they're carrying concealed just for some peace of mind, and the Wild West has not been the result. So i'd point that out. But now the big transition to the sponsor. Do you have peace of mind when it comes to your retirement? Yea, I do that every week. Here's where I pivot and promote the great sponsor to this program, Creative Planning. Have you heard of Creative Planning. They're one of the nation's largest independent wealth management firms, offering fully integrated financial and retirement planning investment management, estate planning, tax strategies, business services, and international wealth management, all in house and coordinated through your wealth manager. Their fiduciary wealth manager are here to help you navigate every piece of your financial life. Visit creative Planning dot com to schedule our introductory meeting. That's creative Planning dot Com. Your team awaits paid for by Creative Planning and SEC registered investment advisor. The speaker's statements are not an endorsement of the firm. My segment about how Pride events have crumbled over the last few years was a popular one, and I was explaining that the members of the Alphabet Army finally overplayed their hand with all the multiple genders transgender stuff, a movement that started out as gays and lesbians demanding equal rights or to be included in political conversations, has turned into a militant and socially poisonous freak show. This is a few decades later, most reasonable people are rejecting it. Coming after our kids with drag shows and trying to twist their adolescent minds with gender treatments and gender reassignment surgeries was simply too much for most reasonable people to find reasonable or continue to support it has a lesbian on Acts named Cynthia Holt posting something that I will clean up a bit as a lesbian woman, I bleeping hate Pride Month with every fiber of my being. He says, it makes us look like absolute crap. The entire LGB has been hijacked by groomers, men in cheap wigs with toilet paper tits, freaks, duct taping their peanuts to their butts, pedophiles, fetish weirdos, and every other kind of gross filth parading down the street. She says, real gay, lesbian and bisexual people want nothing to do with the circus. We just want to be left alone. The LGB community condemns these degenerates and every organization pandering to them. These sentiments stood out to me because it's the sort of thing that gay and lesbian listeners to my radio show would share with me or email me every June or nearly every Pride month. I did a conservative talk show for decades, and over those decades, I had gay and lesbian listeners tell me this exact same sort of thing that the Alphabet movement does not represent. Most gays and lesbians. Most gays and lesbians want to be seen as regular people who have all the same sorts of interests and feelings and hopes as the rest of us, and simply don't want to be vilified or shut out of society because of who they find sexually attractive or choose to love. And yet this group of people are never quoted or given any media attention because their comments on the movement don't fit the left wing narrative. So I thought i'd pass that along. As another follow up, I'd point you to a Gallup pole that seems to verify the points that I was making on the last podcast. This year's Gallup poll finds support for the so called LGBTQ plus issues sliding backward. Polsters are calling this a cultural shift, the average gay or lesbian would probably call it proof that the perverts and the trans bullies have ruined their brand. But Gallup found while a majority of Americans still support legal same sex marriage that's about sixty five percent, that figures dropped six percentage points from its peak in twenty twenty two and twenty three. Meanwhile, moral acceptance of gay and lesbian relationships has dipped to sixty two percent, which Gallup says is the lowest point since twenty sixteen. Public acceptance of gender transition has experienced an even steeper decline over the last five years.
Speaker 3: They say.
Speaker 2: As of today, just thirty eight percent of Americans believe changing one's gender is morally acceptable, down eight points since twenty twenty one, and a fifty seven percent majority view it as morally wrong. Wow. This cultural shift is largely driven by Republicans and in Independence, they say, while Democrats views on these issues have remained steady. Also interesting, on attitudes towards same sex marriage among Republicans, support for legal same sex marriage has plummeted to thirty seven percent, down from fifty five percent majorities recorded in twenty twenty one and twenty two. That is a significant decline. Independent attitudes on gay marriage also saw a six point drop to sixty seven percent. Gallup says. Another stark contrast is seen on the issue of gender transition. Just five percent of Republicans view changing one's gender as morally acceptable, compared to forty two percent of Independence and sixty percent of Democrats. I'd point to those stats as some of the most revealing out of the entire batch. Let's step back when asked whether changing genders is quote morally acceptable. Now we're dealing on the morality plane here, not whether it should be legal or normalized or encouraged, or do you support gender transitioning. This is on the question of is changing your gender moral? A whopping fifty eight percent of independence say no, and even forty percent of Democrats say no. That is interesting and is so called enlightened age. When it comes to how society should treat alphabet people and gender issues, sixty percent of moderates and forty percent of Democrats considered gender transitioning immoral. Now that's interesting, and it might explain why there's such a backlash to the trans bullying and the they them wars and the pronoun bullying when the leftists who launched the effort clearly thought they'd have most Americans on their side. In short, this helps explain the backlash to so called Pride Month and Pride events over the last several years. The trans and gender rights bullies absolutely co opted the movement and turned it into an unappealing campaign that was nearly impossible for any well meaning American to support. This poll also suggests that our poster on AXSS correct the entire gay movement has been hijacked by freaks and groomers that most decent people can't support even when they're asked to. Interesting next topic the American economy, which by every measure really does seem to be roaring now, even if the average American is telling polsters they don't really feel it or see it. I'm finding this increasingly interesting and increasingly hard to believe, because by nearly every measure, and certainly based on every monthly governmental report, this Trump economy is really humming along. And yes, gas prices have lifted the overall measure of inflation higher. Some prices of some items at the grocery store continue to creep up, but wages are starting to outpace the cost of living again. Paychecks are growing, the markets are on an incredible run. Layoffs are now rare. Heck, this week we learn that the number of job openings the country has is soaring again. There are suddenly around seven point six million job openings in America, folks. That's the highest number of job openings in nearly three years, and it's evidence that companies are starting to hire again and the demand for workers has intensified. Moreover, the biggest chunk of new jobs available is in the manufacturing sector, meaning they're likely better paying jobs that actually add to a productive economy instead of jobs in government that only drain tax payers and drain the economy, or even in lower paying sector jobs like hospitality or retail. Folks, there are nearly half a million job openings and manufacturing as of now. That's great, this is good stuff. This is all good news. It had economic guru Larry Cudlow talking about this with his panel members, which included Stephen Moore. Both Cudlow and Moore have been advisors to President Trump and they helped create Trump's fantastic first term economy. They're now beside themselves that according to the rest of the news media, no one can see the incredible improvement in this economy over the last year or so.
Speaker 5: I think the policy outlook is yes, it's very very positive. Yes, But I just think it's interesting to me, as Steve Moore, that rampant pessimism which is promoted by the media, promoted by Democrats maybe some Republicans, because all prices have jumped up, they bumped up temperate, but the numbers don't bear that out. And you know, business is in very good profitable shape with lower taxes and deregulation. But look at the numbers, Steve Moore, that's the point. People don't take the time to look at the numbers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we're blowing away the rest of the world too, Larry. We're growing faster than everybody else. And look at our stock market compared to China. We are winning because of Trump, andoviis no question about it. I would just add two points to what Arthur Laffer just said, and that you just said. The investment numbers. I just love those, Larry. I mean, we've never seen such an investment boom in this country maybe ever going on. And the's sircond one is is you know, at unleashed posterity. We're monitoring each month the Census Bureau numbers on what's happened to family income.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you.
Speaker 1: The scoop on this.
Speaker 6: So we just did the April numbers. Since Trump came into office in the second term, above inflation, the average family has three dollars more of income. So even this affordability crisis is kind of overrated. People have more disposable income today than ever yeap.
Speaker 2: People have more disposal income now than they did under Joe Biden, certainly, and every governmental and private sector measure is proving it. And yet in today's media, everything's got to be terrible news, even if they have to lie about it. In fact, Larry Kudlow went on to make a point that today's news media is just an arm of today's America hating left. It's one thing to have me saying these same things as a regional influencer. They're going to sound familiar, But to hear Cudlow say them this bluntly at a national media level is fun to see. Cudlow said, everything's got always got to be terrible for today's liberal and they have their priorities really out of whack.
Speaker 5: Today's Democrats don't mind Nazi tattoos. They want the southern border to be open. Everything's always about racism or DEI cashless bail, biological men and women's sports, arrest violent fouons and then put them back out on This reads radical abortion on demand and virtually no place for God in religion. For some reason, these left wing Democratic Jacobins have completely lost touch with working class folks, working class folks of all colors, of all shapes, of all sizes, which is why Donald Trump has whooped them two out of the last three elections, maybe three out of the last three elections.
Speaker 2: I love that last suggestion by Cudlough that Trump might have actually won in twenty twenty. That's what he's referring to. But when it comes to the economy, any honest examination of the question are you voters better off than you were four years ago? Has got to conclude yeah, you are. Clay Travis posted some stats from twenty twenty two, which was, of course, Joe Biden's midterm. In June of twenty two, gas prices averaged over five dollars a gallon. Inflation was nine point one percent, the murder rate was six people per one hundred thousand. The S and P five hundred was at thirty six seventy five. Four years later, you have gas cheaper, inflation is roughly three three and a half percent, the murder rate is down to four people per one hundred thousand, and the S and P five hundred is at seventy six hundred. That's more than double four years ago. Those stats represent real progress. The editors of Issues and Insights also looked back and say, let's turn the dial back to June of twenty twenty two. Joe Biden had been occupying the White House for a year.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 2: Democrats controlled Congress. They handed him his two trillion dollar bill back better spending extravaganza, and the economy had more than recovered the ground it lost from COVID lockdowns. The country should have been booming instead nine point one percent inflation and stagnation, they say. In twenty twenty two, real hourly wages were falling. Four years later, workers' incomes have climbed out of that Biden hole, and wages are up two percent, and unlike twenty twenty two, they're going up, not down, so they're continuing to go up, they say. The latest jobs data shows that there are six million more private sector jobs today than there were a year ago. That's the good news. The better news is that there are one hundred and ninety thousand fewer federal workers than there were in twenty twenty two. In April twenty twenty two, the border patrol quote encountered two hundred and thirty four thousand illegal border crossers, and of course they released almost all of them into the US. In April of twenty twenty six. Four years later, now they encountered about thirteen thousand, and none were led into the country under Trump's administration. These editors say the Dow Jones Industrial Average was at about thirty three thousand at the end of May of twenty twenty two and was moving sideways. This year, it's at fifty one thousand. That's an increase of fifty six percent, and it's been climbing for most of Trump's second term. And they say, despite all the hue and cry over gas prices, they're almost identical to where they were in twenty twenty two, and I would note trending downward. Yeah, gas prices are something the Democrats are glombed on too, and they're going to try to flog right through the elections because they're one of the few negatives that they can actually spin and make sound terrible to the average voter. They're also, frankly one of the few negatives when it comes to the Trump economy. Over the last fourteen months, Trump had gas price down to about two dollars and forty cents a gallon until he decided we needed to deal with Iran. We couldn't delay anymore because they're so close to creating a nuclear bomb. And so it was the Iran war that had gas prices skyrocketing back up to about four to sixty a gallon on average before they've started to slide back down again now, So the honest caveat on gas prices has got to be Trump and his team new gas prices were going to jump again, but they had to do the hard work of eliminating the Iranian nuclear threat. Now they have, and prices are already coming down again. And so if voters really want to hold a grudge against Trump and Republicans for that, it's kind of silly. But of course the Democrats will spin and lie as much as they can on that one because it's the one economic attack they think they can get voters to believe and get angry about. And yes, as these editors continue, there are still soft spots in the labor market, sure, but the economic turnaround that was so desperately needed after Biden trashed up things has begun, In fact, just fourteen months later. It's well under way. If you're upset about that, you're really being foolish. I agree with these editors at Issues and Insights as they conclude we have always maintained that climbing out of the Biden hole would be an arduous journey. And while we'd argue that Trump could be doing a better job of communicating as wins and staying focused on issues that every day Americans care about, who's willing to claim that they're better off in twenty twenty two than they are now. So the question voters need to start asking themselves is do they really want to hand control of anything back to the Democrats, knowing the misery they caused four years ago. The answer to that should obviously be no. And if we had an honest media, one that was both cataloging the economic wins that we've been seeing in this new era of Trump as they've occurred, and as also honestly asking and answering that question for voters, is this country better off economically than it was under Joe Biden? If today's news media was doing their jobs as any past era of news editors and reporters would have been more fairly, the majority of the American people and Fall voters would already know that there's no reason to vote Democrat in Fall and put these clowns back in charge. You'd actually be a dope to do so if your own paycheck and cost of living are at all important to you. The truth is things are going good in America right now, and that Trump and his team have rather quickly turned Biden's terrible economy around with more growth and prosperity on the horizon. I just hope more of the message gets out before people start to early vote in September. You are listening to the Jayweber podcast. The Wall Street Journal had a fun blurb on Elon Musk, and since only a small sliver of people read The Wall Street Journal, I thought I'd pass it along to my podcast listeners. This comes up because Elon Musk is going to be the world's first trillionaire. The expectation is that this will come after the initial public offering for SpaceX, because, as it is, Musk's net worth is estimated to be about nine hundred and seventy billion dollars nine hundred and seventy billion, holy cow. So he only needs to see his wealth increase by another thirty billion dollars and he hits one trillion. Sounds weird to speak in terms of only thirty billion, but when we're talking about these sorts of numbers. It's fit, it fits, it's accurate, and given how difficult it is to even understand what a trillion dollars is for the average person, it starts to sound like fake money. The Wall Street Journal estimates that Elon Musk, over the course of his career, has made about one thousand dollars per second nine hundred and ninety two dollars per second. More accurately, Musk's wealth includes SpaceX, which is valued at about five hundred and forty billion dollars, his Stakes and Tesla, of course, they're worth about one hundred and seventy billion, and he also has another one hundred and fifty billion dollars in stock options to those companies that he could exercise at anytime. Then there's the cutting edge boring company which drills tunnels that's five billion. Oh, the brain implant firm that he founded that's worth about one hundred billion. Then you've got to toss in the properties that he owns, personal assets like his plane, et cetera. You get to about nine hundred and seventy billion dollars. To put this into perspective, the next richest guy in the US is Jeff Bezos, who is worth about two hundred and seventy six billion dollars. So imagine Elon Musk is so rich, he is so far ahead of any other wealth giant on this planet that he could buy out the next guy on the list three times over easily. Working the math another way, the Wall Street Journal says that Musk has made about three point six million dollars per hour for the last thirty one years. He's made about fifty nine thousand dollars per minute, or three point six million an hour. And obviously he wasn't making that much early in his efforts. But this is the average over the course of his working adult life. By the way, that works out to about eighty five million dollars a day. If you want that figure. Elon Musk makes about eighty five million dollars a day, two point six billion per month, thirty one billion per year. And so, as the Wall Street Journal article points out, it would take the average American who makes about eighty four thousand dollars a year currently, it would take the average American eleven million years to match Musk's current wealth. That is mind boggling, unfathomable. That's how rich Elon Musk is One of the thoughts that I had on this was Elon Musk is proving that you really can't hit a point at which money's irrelevant. He's the perfect person to really prove that, or display that. Musk, by all appearances, is a pretty average guy who doesn't put much importance in all the money that he has.
Speaker 3: He's not like.
Speaker 2: Bezos or Gates or Zuckerberg, who've shown off how rich they are by buying half billion dollar yachts building half billion dollar homes. They're all so rich that they have clearly by now figured out that there's only so much you can spend your money on, and that no amount of money makes you infallible or untouchable or immortal, which led to the other thought I had. Musk's level of wealth is proving the cliche you still can't take it with you is true. He and all these other very very rich men are still all going to die someday. In fact, in every era there seems to have been at least some sliver of wealthy people who were chasing immortality, trying to find ways to extend their lives or make themselves immortal. None have yet. They've tried sleeping in cryogenics and blood doping, gene manipulation, they've all still died. In fact, Elon Musk has said more than once that he's convinced at some point humans will be able to essentially download their consciousness into a computer hard drive, and that would be at least a form of immortality. We've all seen science fiction movies in which that's the plot. Some dead villain's brain is downloaded into some other person's body, or some blank that was lab grown. Musk would probably tell you we're closer to that first step of downloading someone's consciousness onto a hard drive than you'd think, But at least in this age, you still can't do it, and you still can't take it with you. Whether it's ten bucks or a trillion dollars, money is useless to you when you're dead. This Wall Street Journal story has a list of things you could buy with Musk's current nine hundred and seventy billion dollars. You could buy two point four million houses in the US using the average price of a house. You could buy thirty two NFL teams and every NBA team. You could buy a fleet of over ten thousand Gulf Stream jets and pay for five years of their operating costs and one finals when adjusted for inflation, Elon Musk is wealthier than even John D. Rockefeller was in his day, easily. This means that even before SpaceX goes public or Musk hits a trillion dollars of wealth this moment in history, already Elon Musk ranks as the richest American who has ever lived. That's the sort of thing that I think is too good to stay behind a firewall in the Wall Street Journal website, so I thought i'd share it with you now to longtime CBS anchor in Sixty Minutes hack Scott Pelly being fired after going on an explosive rant against the network's new news chiefs. This is fun. This has been the talk of social media over the last few days, and it probably proves that social media isn't real life. I don't know who actually watches sixty Minutes anymore, or who knows who Scott Pelly even is. If you're going to pull the average American, I don't think they know. But it's been all over social media, and my takes on Scott Pelly included. First, he's always struck me, as Ted Baxter, a parody of a newsman. Pelly is clearly playing a role when he's in front of the camera. I assume he's a big fake, and he acts and sounds completely different off here. I've always assumed that he's a less funny Ted Baxter, the fraud of a newsman that Ted Knight played on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And yes, I think Pelly is that fake, even if he's not that much of an idiot. My second take on Pelly's firing is, and this is a complete guess, but I just think what I think. I think he just wanted to retire, but being the self aggrandizing, performative jackass that he has always been, he decided to go down in a blaze of glory and pretend that he was taking a stand and defending journalism as a whole and defending his journalistic integrity individually. This is what I think motivated his insane performance in that all staff meeting earlier this week. This was all ego. Trust me, that much is for certain. Pelly wouldn't have done this if he wouldn't have planned it first, correct, And so what we can say is that part of this is certainly intentional. What his motivations were more questionable. Did he really think he could speak to the CBS execs that way and survive it? Or after thirty seven years and at the age of sixty eight, was Pelly looking to go out in a blaze of glory and hope to go down in history as the last real journalist in a rapidly changing world. Put me down for that second option.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: I would bet anyone that Pelly really just wanted to retire but saw a chance to go out in a blaze of glory and hey, there is a way to test whether I'm correct. Does Scott Pelly feel the need to turn around and start some podcast like Megan Kelly and Tucker or Mark Helprin did Is he going to be another one of these media figures who either quits or gets fired from a larger media company only to feel that he needs to start some sort of sub stack or start his own podcast and continue his work. Or is this essentially the last we see of Scott Pelley. Does he maybe pop up on a few Sunday shows or as part of some other network's election coverage, but otherwise disappear. That would be the litmus test. This is a sort of move that would indicate to me that he really just wanted to retire, or whether he really did think he could just speak to CBS execs this way because he has a contract. But either way, he goes down as a guy who has fired from CBS twice. As John Podharitz pointed out, quote, this is the second time Scott Pelley has been fired by CBS. The last time was for being a lousy anchorman. This time it was for being a performative jerk. And he didn't say jerk, he used a word that rhymes with trick. But I've decided to keep my podcast relatively clean because I assume all sorts of people will be listening to it in the car or in the house with little ears around. I might be a little looser with the language on the podcast now that I no longer have to meet FCC requirements for over the year content, but I'll keep it relatively clean for you. This explosion of emotion and invective by Pelly was directed at a guy named Nick Bilton, who has been hired as the new top producer of sixty Minutes, and in that rant, Pelly trashed the woman who hired him Bari Weez. This is the relatively new head of the CBS News product overall, and he told Bilton right to his face that he had no resume or qualifications for producing sixty minutes. He accused Wes of quote murdering the show and told Bilton that he was basically a bad joke with no qualifications. And so is Pelly so arrogant and foolish that he thought he could speak to management that way and get away with it? Or was he trying to get himself fired? I would opt for trying to get fired. You might be asking yourself, well, who would want to go out that way or who would want to put a stain on his career right at the end of it this way? My answer would be because Pelly is not seeing this as a stain on his career or his reputation. He's seeing it as a capper on his career and reputation. He was the last great, honest, unbiased, fair journalist. In his mind, Scott Pelley is one of the last great journalists standing who spoke truth to power and stood up for the institution right until the bitter end. As a former journalist myself and knowing how most guys like Pelly view themselves in that profession. I can guarantee you that that's how Pelly views this week's events. In fact, one good hint here is how Pelly portrayed himself at his time at CBS, acting as if he had seen combat. Did you see this? The statement Pelly put out right after his firing is mockable quote. I have been in combat in Afghanistan. I've been in combat in Iraq. I've been in the war zone in Ukraine multiple times, risking my life and the happiness of my family because of my devotion to the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 2: Scott Pelly has not been in combat. He's been a reporter working in war zones, sure, and there's an amount of risk in romance that comes with that, but not much in the modern times. In today's war zones, the risk to reporters is very low. And I can tell you for certain that Scott Pelly was never anywhere near the fighting or in any real risk. Pelly might have been two Afghanistan and Ukraine while they were at war, but he wasn't embedded with any troops. He and his cameraman and producers were at a comfortable hotel in Kiev, filing reports once a day or once a week, and for Pelly to portray himself as having been in combat isn't only disingenuous, it's insulting to those who have seen actual combat, including war reporters in past wars that were embedded with troops and were on front lines with nothing except for their camera and their notepad. This isn't really stolen valor because Pelly isn't pretending to have served a military role, but it's still a form of stolen valor to suggest that he put his life at risk on behalf of journalism and informing the American people. That's nonsense. Helly put out a longer statement about half a day later and included a few things that were also suspect in that letter, including a claim that this new management team at CBS told him to put false facts and intentional biases into his stories now that they're in charge. That's nonsense. It's clearly belooney, and based on what other CBS employees who are close to Pelly and close to these projects are saying, they're verifying that most people don't know that it's really the producers and writers and all sorts of people behind the scenes who put together the stories that Scott Pelly voices. He or Leslie Stall. Sure, they might sit down and do a live interview to get some tape on a couple of interview subjects, but it's people behind the scenes that are doing all the hard work. Scott Pelley is basically the face of that story and the script reader that's it. In fact, it sounds like the behind the scenes. CBS employees are pretty split on the question of what Pelly did here and whether it's helpful. As one CBS insider put it, quote, what did he accomplish? He embarrassed the company in leadership. Worse than that, Pelly confirmed for the non crazy majority of the country that legacy journalists are narcissistic megalomaniacs with a wildly overinflated sense of their own importance. That's true, that is what Pelly did. And maybe his fellow arrogant, self important newspeople who are working at the big networks along with him think that Pelly did a bold and courageous thing here, But the rest of America thinks he looks like a Putts. Oh, and then there's the chance that Pelly's explosion was really just over a suggestion that his new boss had made that they'd all be working harder. Honestly, those who were in the meeting said that Pelly seemed to really get upset after this new guy, Nick Bill said that based on the size of the staff and the new era of streaming, they would be producing more content. Bilton said, basically, what all new bosses say, we can do better. I'm going to ask you to work a little harder. We can generate more product and have more success. That's what seemed to set off Pelly as much as anything, according to people in those meetings. Well, consider it, Scott Pelley sixty eight. He's been coasting along for a decade or more, doing one story a week if that, and getting paid millions of dollars a year to do it. Suddenly, right at the end of his career, and when he's really been enjoying this coast, this great glide path for years where he's not working hard but he's making all sorts of money. Now it's coming to an end. Of course, he'd be upset. That's one of the things that has me thinking Pelly really just wanted to retire. He had worked himself into a great position at CBS in which he was making a huge amount of money for doing virtually no work. This is similar to an agent, college professor, or a brilliant brain surgeon. You have these professions in which, at your oldest and your wisest, you have the most value, so you can make the most money. Institutions will pay you a lot to do very little work. This is the position Scott Kelly and Leslie Stall and these other ancient CBS hacks had worked themselves into. And suddenly management changes at the top, and they're demanding more of you. Right when you want to do less work. Management's outlining an energetic new era that's being launched, and you're a fossil from the old era. No no, no, no, no no, I don't want to work harder. Suddenly retirement looks pretty good. So this is my theory. Pelly wanted no part of helping to launch some energetic new era of journalism and storytelling blah blah blah blah blah, and he formulated his own way to go out. In fact, I can virtually guarantee you that's what really went on here in Pelly's head. So we'll wait a few days in a few weeks, we'll see if the Pelly podcast is announced, because by god, Scott Pelly still has a fire in his belly for good stories, or we'll see if he's done and we never really see much of Scott Pelly again. I'm guessing it's going to be that second option. Listeners seem to enjoy my segment about how President Trump is beautifying and restoring our nation's capital and how he would be getting bipartisan praise for it in any other political era, and as a follow up, I just wanted to pass along some new stats that I ran across that aren't likely to get much attention in the mainstream news media. According to the Department of Interior, just up to this point in the Trump restoration effort, the Trump administration has restored twenty two fountains and cleaned up twenty eight statues, as well as removed hundreds of instances of graffiti. They've restored several public ponds around d C, and of course are very close to completing the restoration of the massive reflective pool between the Capitol and the Washington Monument and also included in this list from Interior rat proofing DC's trash cans and clearing out a few homeless encampments from federal grounds. That's fantastic. And as Doug Bergham and Donald Trump have both been saying, decay is a choice, the Democrats are allowing and even seem to be encouraging the decay in Washington, d C. In in our big cities, we shouldn't have to put up with it. And by the Trump White House's reckoning, decline was a choice, but not anymore. That was posted on a White House account along with this line. In just fourteen months, potus has restored our nation's capital, making it both safe and beautiful. And Trump really has That isn't one of these Trumpian boasts that is sometimes inflated or overblown in its characterization. Washington really is far more safe and now more beautiful than it was when Joe Biden left office, and really, for the first time after decades of decline, and I'll just emphasize again, Donald Trump didn't even run on cleaning up Washington DC. Cleaning up DC wasn't among the top priorities that Trump and Republicans were touting in twenty twenty four as they ran for office. Lowering crime was, yes, but Trump wasn't promising to restore the fountains and the monuments in Washington, DC. He never mentioned the reflecting pool. This is just an effort that Trump decided to take on as a personal project once he got back into office and after seeing the sort of neglect indicay that had been allowed to happen under past presidents and congresses. So good for Trump. I have zero doubt that after he's out of office and some time has passed, only then will people on both sides of the isle and their media outlet's admit Trump did a good thing here, and it will happen, but it could take years. The passage of time normally has nearly everyone admitting to a simple truth at some point. Two great examples are after the Clinton's left office, everyone on the Democrats side of the aisle could immediately flip and tell you how awful they were and in truth, how terrible their scandals were for the party in the country. Another good example, now that the Bidens are out of office and their political careers are clearly over now already the truth about what corrupt liars they have always been is starting to be acknowledged.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 2: It says something that the harshest criticisms related to Jill Biden's new book and how she's trying to rewrite history are coming from her own side of the aisle. The average American doesn't care about her book. They're not going to read it. They're not really paying attention to what's going on in Washington. But over the last week or so, Washington d C has been obsessed with how the Bidens are going to try to redeem themselves with one last rush of lies in book form. Now it's the talk of the DC insiders and elites, and they're nearly all Democrats and legacy media members who are obsessing over this because now they feel like they can tell the truth. Joe and Joe Biden have always been scumbags. They've always been corrupt. They ran a corrupt, pay to play family enterprise for decades, and DC insiders knew it. A lot of DC insiders were running some sort of pay for play or corruption scheme. But when the level of the Biden family corruption was really exposed, they were shocked that the Bidens were managing to collect millions and millions of dollars doing this. Anyone listening to Mark Helpern's podcast should note how cavalierly they're all now on the left admitting that Biden Inc. Was a corrupt and perhaps criminal enterprise, and we can admit it. Now they're admitting the Bidens are broke. They can't send Hunter and Jim around to extort money out of people and foreign country reason collect bribes for the family anymore. History will get this right eventually, and this is a good point to transition to the next topic, because history will eventually get this right too. The fact that Donald Trump and Benjamin netanyahuo did a stunning, heroic and historically unique thing by wiping out the military of another major or foreign country in a matter of days and solving a forty or fifty year global problem and terror threat with virtually no loss of life and no wider warfare. This is another thing that in any other political era would have been marvelous and celebrated in a bipartisan manner. But because it's Trump, and because it's this hyperpartisan in bitter era, we're getting very different and very unfair coverage out of the leftist media. President Trump and his team have delivered an incredible military victory over in Iran and it's one that can't be taken away or explained away by Trump's political enemies, but they sure are trying hard to do that by obsessing over some quote peace deal that, in truth, Trump and Israel don't need. For months now, the actors involved and the Trump hate media have been obsessing over getting some sort of official deal in place that allows Trump to withdraw our military from the region and cleanly walk away. But that's not going to happen because it's not a realistic expectation. And I've been telling you this since my first podcast in April. The truth is, we don't need a deal with Iran because these Iranian mulas and politicians never ever live up to deals. They've never lived up to a past deal they've ever made with the West. Dealing with the Iranian regime is useless. We either need regime change or we need to simply keep them boxed in until their economy completely collapses and they're no longer a threat to anyone outside of their own borders. If these mullas remain in place, that's how Trump has to handle this. This is what needs to occur here, and if that means that gas prices come down a little bit more slowly as the global markets shift away from oil out of the Persian Gulf even more, well, then so be it. But the price of gas is already coming down, and ironmous evil Mullas are still pinned in. So what actually needs to change when it comes to deal with Iran? From America's perspective? In truth, we don't need some sort of clean but fraudulent deal between Trump and the Mullas to end this and make everyone feel better about it. We don't need a deal with Iran. Why go back to some false Obama esque deal that means nothing? Why even empower the current batch of Iranian leaders with a deal? As David Harsanyi correctly points out over at the Washington Examiner, the fact that democrats and isolationists have successfully demoralized the American public doesn't change the fact that the US and Israel decapitated leadership and institutional knowledge within the Iranian regime, set back its nuclear program vastly, to grade its ballistic missile capabilities, and stunted its ability to prop up proxy militias. He says, Iran will never be in a weaker position. We will never have more leverage if clerics refuse to strike a suitable deal while their economy is being pounded by a US blockade. What in the history of the regime makes anyone believe they'll be more amenable when given an economic lifeline. Correct Harsanyi crystallizes things when he says, in the long term, clerics believe they can eke out survival until a Democrat or a non interventionist Republican becomes president in twenty twenty eight. In the short term, they're counting on the president not having the courage to resume widespread military engagement. Iran understands that American domestic patience is negatively correlated to high gas prices. They understand that Trump is under political pressure with the midtern elections coming, etc. But what they don't realize, and what most DC insiders and so called experts don't realize, is that Trump doesn't really need a deal. President Trump shouldn't be stepping in to save any more Husbalah leaders from Israel's wrath. For example, Trump should be encouraging Netanyaho to go ahead and deal with Hasbellah. As long as we're doing this and so long as Iran's leaders refuse to capitulate that would be the smarter way to play this, and as for oil prices, launch an even more overt campaign globally to get the other oil producing countries to pump more and ship more. It's not like Iran's level of production can't be replaced. Trump and his team are making few simple demands. They should insist Iran agree to those before any pressure is relieved on them, and that includes turning over all enriched uranium and ending its nuclear and missile programs permanently period. It should also be forced to end any funding or assistance to the groups like Hesbellah and Hamas and the Huthis which they've been using as their proxies for spreading Islamist terrorism in the Middle East and globally. Until or unless Iran agrees to those there should be no talk of any sort of deal that eases the pressure on Iran and has the US ending our current ability to strike back at them militarily as they continue to throw little tantrums. Because the bottom line has to be as long as Iran's regime has the ability to create a nuclear bomb within a matter of weeks or months and deliver it via a missile, this conflict can't be resolved. No, that's the bottom line that the leftists, their accomplices in the media, and their accomplices on Capitol Hill are intentionally deciding to ignore so they can make up stories about Trump's weakness here and how this war has actually made Muran Moore power powerful. That's the most idiotic narrative out of a number of idiotic narratives that the Trump haters have come up with over the last few months. And sadly, most Americans didn't hear or see any of Marco Rubio's performance this week in front of a panel of theater kid Democrat senators who thought they could call him in front of their panel in order to try to embarrass him and mock this president. I hope that at least some of you saw some of this. I have a two minute clip here of Secretary of State Rubia reacting to Senator Corey Booker, who trotted out this foolish claim that we've only made Iran stronger.
Speaker 3: And now we're begging to get back into a deal that you all trashed in the first place.
Speaker 7: There's no one begging.
Speaker 3: Clearly, this is sen Booker. Booker times up want to as fines.
Speaker 7: Because they go to the heart of the matter. No one's begging for anything here. The Iranians might be begging because there are economies losing hundreds and millions of dollars a day that they are losing. Understand, Iran had street protests going on before all of this started.
Speaker 3: All of those factors.
Speaker 7: Economic factors in Iran are far worse today than they were six months ago when those protests were happening. They have hyperinflation, their currency is completely devalued. They're struggling to make payroll for their government workers. Iran is in a very serious situation. And if it was up to the political class there, and I understand everybody there is sort of radical in some way, but if it was up to the people that actually like go to elections and wear the suits and you see on TV, they probably make a deal tomorrow. It's the issue they're facing is that the supreme leader in the IRGC corps are a little bit more immune from those pressures until they can be convinced otherwise. And I think that's the direction that they're moving in because the reality, I don't know where you're getting this perception that Iran is stronger Iran has no navy left. They've lost the substantial percentage of their defense industrial base that Iran has lost a substantial percentage of their missile launchers, and their economy is far worse today and I mean far worse today than it was six to nine months ago, and they are looking at hundreds of billions of dollars of reconstruction costs just to get to where they.
Speaker 2: Were drua you keep telling, Rubio alludes to one of the biggest challenges here. Iran's leadership has been so fractured that it's still not clear who's in charge or who we'd be making a peace deal with. As he said, if it was up to the politicians who are pretend elected to office over there, the deal would already be done. But it's really up to the evil mullows and the leaders of the so called Revolutionary Guard, the military wing of that regime, and they're the ones still hiding in the shadows and refusing to give up because they want to remain in power over that country and its people. We have another instance here in which the left wing accomplices in the US and global news media are pretending to not know what America is even asking for here, what are even Trump's demands? They keep asking, They keep asking this even though Trump, Rubio and Nettanna, who have made those demands clear. It reminds me of the Bush era when President Bush went into Iraq and he would answer the same question three times a week, only to have the Democrats and their media whores insist we still have no idea what the President's trying to accomplish here. The point of this war is still unclear. What's his mission? What's Bush calling a victory? President Bush couldn't have been more clear when the Trump era President Trump could be clearer. But it's not like he hasn't repeatedly said what we're after here. Give up the nuclear dust, end your nuclear in ballistic programs, stop funding terror, and stop harassing or blackmailing ships floating through the Strait of Hormuz. This is what we're demanding, and Secretary Rubio made that clear again this week in front of that Senate panel. Rubio said Step one is getting Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and end their harassment of commercial ships. Only after they agree to that will negotiators move to Phase two or issue too, which is getting Iran to give up its existing stockpiles of enriched uranium, because as long as they have that stuff, it's at least feasible that Iran could resume an effort to create a nuclear bomb in short order weeks or months, if they just organized it correctly and kept it hidden. Then phases three and four are presumably ending any ability for Iran to deliver that nuclear bomb via a warhead on a missile, etc. But none of this is going to happen quickly. You know. One thing being missed here and intentionally by the Trump hating media is that any compliance of a deal is going to take an extended period of time. Turning over the stockpiles verifying programs have been ended, Any compliance of a deal is going to take time and require a large amount of monitoring and verification if we're going to ever ensure the Mullas are forced to honor any deal they make, and so either way, this doesn't end quickly. I know it's not just the Democrats and Trump haters in their mouthpieces who want this war wrapped up cleanly and quickly. All sorts of Trump supporters and average Americans do too. Yep, but it's not going to happen quickly or cleanly, at least not if Donald Trump. It really is a different sort of president who refuses to do what Barack Obama did and only pretend that he's actually accomplished something here, or pretend he has dealt with Iran. Obama and John Carey were only pretending. Trump, with his military actions here, has already proven he's not screwing around. He genuinely finally wants to deal with a dangerous and belligerent Iran, and in that regard, he and BB have already dealt a few devastating blows and made the globe safer. But there isn't going to be a neat and tidy end to this ung as the evil and lying Mullas are involved. No, a regime change would be a clear and definitive end to this. But any genuine deal made with the same evil Mullas and West hating religious zelots in charge now won't. No, then there's the possibility that regime change still occurs due to an internal uprising. Secretary Rubio wasn't lying when he said Iran's economy is in desperate shape. Inflation was high even before the military strikes and It's now hit the highest levels in eighty years in that country, highest levels since World War II. In May, the annual inflation rate in Iran hits seventy seven point two percent. Economic problems have been a source of considerable civil unrest obviously inside that country, and skyrocketing costs could lead to even more protests. And so as long as no agreement is reached, Iran's economy, which is based heavily on oil sales, is going to remain under the stranglehold of this US blockade in the Strait of Hormuz. There's a reason that the Mullas have been ordering thousands of Iranians jailed and killed over the last few months. They're trying to ensure that any dissidents are dealt with quickly before any larger internal opposition can organize. It would be silly to ease up on our western pressure points now and give them all his more breathing room. And Trump knows that the way that Iran survives this is with delay and deception. And Trump needs to make it clear he has three more years in office, and you can't outlast me, and you can't deceive me. As Victor Davis Hansen says, Iran is unlikely to ever abandon its pursuit of the bomb voluntarily. He says, as such, the Iranian regime has never viewed negotiations as a path leading to an ultimate deal. At best, the regimes supposedly elected government plays good cop, while the bad cop, theocratic henchman, periodically violate whatever understandings have been reached with the Western world. So yeah, of course, these talks aren't going to go anywhere. As Victor Davis Hanson also correctly states, Iran does not necessarily regard overwhelming military defeat on the battlefield as a strategic loss. The regime believes its own advantage lies in the long term and beyond the battlefield itself. For nearly half a century, this wicked regime has revived through propaganda, blood curdling threats, slaughtering civilians at home and abroad, terrorist proxies and clients, and a mastery of the internal policies of its adversaries, especially the US and Europe. Hanson says Iran's leaders are like the crazy assailant on the subway who feels he can do anything he wishes, since most people either fear his antics or won't wish to stoop to his level to stop him, and so Hanson concludes, the more left leaning American presidents like Clinton, Obama and Biden they reached out to dialogue and normalized with Iran, and the more Iranians lothe those presidents for being weak, he correctly says magnanimity. They interpret his weakness to be exploited. Never is kindness to be siprocated, and so it is that playing field that Trump and Rubio need to navigate. This isn't one country's dignitaries dealing with another country's dignitaries. This is closer to a group of orderlies at a metal hospital trying to deal with a group of metal patients who have now taken over the TV room. How are we going to get these lunatics in line and back to their rooms? What can we bribe them with or promise them? Because we can't rationalize with them. That's a better analogy. Obama and John Carey wanted to befriend Iran's mulla's and mainstream them into global society. Trump and Rubyo know the Iranians are dangerous metal patients who will only respond to threats or bribes. You can either calm down and cooperate and have your pudding, or you can keep throwing your tantrum and lose your ice cream after dinner tonight too. That's who Trump's team is negotiating with here, a dangerous cuckoo's nest of deranged but crafty individuals. And of course Americans just want gas to be under three dollars a gallon again, and Republican strategists and candidates want to see that before Labor Day. That only increases the pressures that Trump and Ruby are dealing with. But I'm telling you they don't need to deal with Iran. Any deal would be useless anyway.
Speaker 1: The Jay Weber Podcast is a production of iHeartRadio podcasts, produced and engineered by Gregory John. The Jayweber Podcast is presented by Creative Planning, helping clients simplify their journey to financial wellness, one personalized plan at a time. Listen to all of Jayweber's podcasts, available on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts.