Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. We're hearing my guy, Dalton Rushing, who's starting at first base today after catching for the Dodgers last night. What's it like on Well, First of all, I gotta say thank you for the time. How rude of me?
Speaker 2: No, it's not rude of your bass. You know I'm always here for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. I appreciate it. In Anaheim and the Big A. What's this ballpark like for you? Coming here? Knowing how many great players have played here before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sweet. I got to play here last year.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you have trouts in the lineup today and guys throughout the years. It's cool to play against these guys each and every year. Hopefully we can take some from them this year like we didn't last year.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna bring up they beat you all six times last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine. It's we won a World Series. We got our end goal. But now we need to take care of business this year.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I know you're a young player, but can you feel it too? Other teams are bringing a lot more energy. They're bringing their best shot at you guys this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's kind of what you sign up for with things we do off season moves, free agent signings, all these things you sign up for every team to treat it like their World Series. And anytime a team can come in take two out of three from the Dodgers, they're gonna take it.
Speaker 2: And run with it.
Speaker 3: You know, we have to say pride in that we need to understand the importance of every game.
Speaker 2: We need to understand the importance of every win that.
Speaker 3: Even this early in the season, I think we're getting on the track to play really good baseball in the next six, ten, fifteen, twenty games, however many it is. But I think the team's in a really good spot. The arms of really well, the starting pitching has been really good. It's all starting to come together, and I think it's a good thing for us.
Speaker 1: Were you able to avoid the sickness that was going through the clubhouse, because it feels like that did take a while for all of you to get over.
Speaker 3: I was patient zero, So yeah, I was patient zero back in Toronto, and yeah, that was tough. I guess you could say sickness weekend for me. I was all over the place, and I guess physically. I played really well being sick, so maybe I need to get sick more often, you know. But yeah, no, I was pitching zero, So I hate that I brought that upon all the boys, But I'm glad we're all kind of past that.
Speaker 1: Now. You're playing first base tonight. What's it like to transition from behind the plate to first base? Obviously the footwork, but just the mental part of the game. Do you see the game the same way at first space as you would when you're behind the plate. Are you trying to play along with Will and the bullpen tonight?
Speaker 3: The game in itself, I would say it's a little different. You're not managing pitch to pitch, You're not thinking three innings ahead of time. You're really just owning the moment, owning what's in front of you. First base, to me, I played there a lot in college. I played there a little bit through the miners coming up, so it's not like completely foreign to me. I feel comfortable over there. I got a lot of early work in today and just to make sure I'm already for the game tonight. But no, I'm not gonna think with well, I'm gonna leave that up to Will. I'm gonna let it do his thing. I do my thing when I'm back there, and we kind of we kind of have the same end goal every single night that we're back there behind the plate, we call the best pitches and win the baseball game.
Speaker 1: That's a you know, I'm a man of the people, right, so I touched the people, the fans, and the fans love your care factor, how high it is. What's the balance for you as far as caring as much as you do but also keeping your emotions in check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's for me. It's a maturity thing that I really want to fix. By no means do I ever want to stop playing with passion and love, embracing and showing how much that I care about this game, how much I love to win. But at the same time, there's there's always a maturity piece to it, and I think there's been immaturity in the past, there's been immaturity in the present as of recently, and that's something I have to fix. I have to grow on as a player.
Speaker 1: I loved and stretch. Where Tao's giving you a big brother headlock, Mookie Betts is talking to you. How much have those guys help you grow and understand the game and understand, you know, just their process.
Speaker 3: It's all the older guys on this team, you know, veteran, We have veteran after veteran. They all care and I think to me that means more than anything. They see potential, They see what I can do over the stretch of ten fifteen years in this game, and I think they're just looking out.
Speaker 2: For my best interests.
Speaker 3: They want me to be a player that's known in this league for however long that I play and respected in this league for that same amount of time. So yeah, it's it's just them being good teammates. We're surrounded by great guys in this clubhouse. Each and every person cares about everyone else. And yeah, to have those guys obviously have my back through dubs, the down, the good, the bad, and the social media world, the on field world, you know, it means a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it really does.
Speaker 1: I think that goes to your character and who you are as a person for them to care as much about you as they do about themselves. So that's a testament to tualt and rushing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I make sure these guys know that I love them. I do anything for them. Sometimes I don't do the same for the opposing team, but I plan to in the future, and obviously I want to get everything passing.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's competition, right. Everybody wants you to be friends until they don't want you to be friends. So thank you for the time. I'll handle everything from here.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. You always have my bag.