Speaker 1: Don't want.
Speaker 2: This is Scott Sloan show on seven hundred WLWED the City of Cincinnati. He set a lawsuit for almost a million and a half dollars with the family of Condavier Hicks. Mister Hicks was shot and killed by police at his North Side apartment what sixteen years ago? Twenty fifteen, almost sixteen years ago, and in light of a number of settlements from only over eight million dollars for the Rodney King protesters to discussions over paying Ryan Hinton's family, the question is whether the payouts are better than fighting this in court. And before I get to the attorney represent the Hicks family, let me refresh the elements of Kwandaver Hicks, because I had to go back and look some stuff up because it's been so long ago, ten eleven years long time. So he's twenty two years old at the time. And there was a call for service at nine one one for aggravated menacing, which aggravated means the use of a weapon in this case of firearm, and so they had a duty to respond in this case, they make the run, they enter the apartment building or the apartment on Chase Avenue, Northside on this call because he had threatened to kill a couple accused that they accused of him sealing from their home. Officers entered the building through an unlocked side door, did not have a warrant the building is then the question is whether that's a multi unit dwelling or just a single family. We'll get to that in a second with the attorney. But when the officers reached and went inside and reached Hicks's door, he emerged holding a twenty two caliber rifle appointed it at one of the officers. Another officer, think of the three or four officer on the scene, grabbed the barrel and in this case officer Door Scott fired the deadly one shot, hitting him in the chest. He died at the scene. And because this was well twenty fifteen, it wasn't I believe a year later when CPD officers were issued body cameras, so we don't even have body camera footage. So on that with that rather long setup is Attorney Rob Lindaman, attorney for the Hicks family.
Speaker 3: Rob, welcome, good morning, how are you come on?
Speaker 4: Scott?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 3: And I hope I got the details of it right.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, ten, ten eleven years a long time sometimes you know, you lose track of what the facts actually were.
Speaker 3: But I think generally that was a right.
Speaker 5: That is, that was all that was all generally act good.
Speaker 3: I want to reemphasize that. Yeah, so you had called.
Speaker 2: I was talking about this yesterday and talking about city settling rather than litigating. And I think that's valid for taxpayers going more hand at eight million dollars at a time, and what's the city law department exists?
Speaker 3: I think that's a reasonable argument.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you had called in the end of the segment yesterday, I like about nine to fifty and unfortunately out other stuff and news and all that, as you know, and I wanted to get you back on because I thought the conversation, and as brief as it was, was fascinating because you represent the family and above all else, Rob, I didn't get a chance to ask you yesterday.
Speaker 3: But is the family happy with the settlement?
Speaker 5: Let's put it this way. The family is satisfied with the settlement. This is a situation where there would there would be no situation in which the family would feel they were justly compensated for the loss of the sign, the loss of a brother. But the main thing. Or let's put it this way. A principal objective was to obtain a fayre, a thorough and an independent investigation, because I have to tell you that when I met Kwan Davier's mother, she really just wanted to know what happened. As you said, this is twenty fifteen. The Cincinnati Police Department quite simply had not been forthright with her. They promised her that they would be transparent and forthcoming, and they were not. The legal questions that opposed here are really questions that are fundamental under the US Constitution, which is a person safe from the government inside their own home. Does a person have a basic right to defend themselves inside their own.
Speaker 2: Let me interrupt, just say a rob because so far and this went to the Sixth District Court. Pellet courts and like courts consistently found the use of deadly force was justified.
Speaker 3: A pellic courts.
Speaker 2: Found legitimate questions about what you're talking about, whether the warrantless entry was constitutional.
Speaker 3: Get that in a second.
Speaker 2: But the Sixth Circuit Court said and saw evidence that officers should have known they were entering a private residence, not a commoner. And that's that's a hang up here. And so the city maintains the shooting itself was justified, and everyone agrees on the use of deadly force being appropriate. So help me understand if it was justified, why is the city paying one point four five million.
Speaker 5: Well, you you're onto a very very subtle issue of law here, and you and but you're broadly right, but let me have let me add some color to that. The first call. Yes, the case has been the case has been before. We've been litigating the case for about for almost ten years. Yeah, we'll get back to that about whether whether whether the city just rolled over easily settled on this. I'll take issues with that, okay. But so the the city asserted qualified in news and that the city asserted that these officers are immune. And the Sixth Circuit at the time held that in the in the light of where there is evidence that that a that that quandavior had a gun, that that posed reasonable circumstances for an officer to use force to protect themselves. But but there's a but there's a bigger but there's a broader question, which is what are all the circumstances here? And the Supreme Court since the time, actually since the time of those original rulings, it has has ruled and has held that in cases like this, what the what what the court needs to look at is the totality of the circumstances and in that use of force. And that can include that can include think conduct that the officer engages in leading up to the use of force, which which may make it reasonable or may not.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they and we talked about yesterday, Rob Lineman. The argument is this, so, as I understand from the narrative, here, they get this nine one one call, so they have a duty to act. It's a nine one as well asn't just you know, a sneak and peak a no knock warrant. It was a call for service. Uh so a legitimate client neighbors said, hey, this guy pointed a gun at his threatin US with a deadly weapon. They come in now. And so the entrances I understand it was. It's like a sight enth's kind of removed from the street. It lacked multiple name plates and apartment numbers. I mean it's at night time too, I believe. Also, let's add that in there the door had a couple of locks of privacy curtains and security bars. It looked like a private residence, but at the same time it felt like it was a The officer thought it was a common era. If I saw the video last night and Hammrick did a great story out on five and you can kind of see there's a stairwell. He had an upstairs atic apartment and comes down the stairs. And so at the time they read it as a common area, which would allow them a little bit of leeway as far as entering entering the structure, not inside a house, but a common area.
Speaker 3: And that's really the crux and the debate of the case.
Speaker 5: Correct, that's that's again very you've you've you've done your homework today, that's those are all those are all accurate. Yeah, the issue really was is this, if this were an apartment building, let's say, let's let's let's let's split it up that way. If this were an apartment building and it was something in the nature of a lobby, that was that where where traffic ordinarily was held, that would be where people would would be commonly expected to go, and it was and if it was open to the public, then a police officer could could have the right to or could could lawfully enter there. Let's put it that way. This the circumstances here though, if you you know, if you look at the place, if you look at the residents, that is the subject. It just it looked like a house from the front rightly. And so they went to the door. They went to the side door, and they knocked on the They knocked on the door, knocked one, no answer at the time of the second knock. When when when she knocked the second time, the door came just slightly ajar And that is a although there was a lock on that door, one of the condavior's girlfriend had actually just left the house. She was spending the night there, but she left to go get something she was she was gone. She had left open a door that is normally locked because she was coming specifically because she was coming right back. She was just running down to her house. She was down the road.
Speaker 4: But but but yeah, so then so the question the property that they ended up entering is you know, it's effectively a house. When you walk into this place, you go up upstairs, and if you if you at the top of the stairs, if you look to your right, there's a kitchen and a bathroom. And if you look to your left.
Speaker 5: There's a doorway that there's a there's a bedroom behind one door, and there's a staircase that the doorway has a staircase that that you'd go up to, and that's where his bedroom is. But in the whole place, there's only one bedroom. Excuse me, there's only one bathroom. There's only one kitchen in the space they were standing in, you know when when when they knocked on the door, the place where Kwan Davior came walking down is where he would have had to walk past them to get to the bathroom. Let's put it out. So this is what the courts of appeals ended up saying in each each time that under these circumstances where where you're standing outside, where where there's only one basketball, there's only one kitchen, there's no lock in between these doors once you're inside that there was no door. There was no you know, for example, the door that that they that they would walk up to go to Fondiaver's room, it just didn't have a lock on. It was just like the inside hallway of your better But so it was a space that was clearly that was clearly living space. Now and I should say all these all the facts, all the opinions that we never had a trial in.
Speaker 6: This case, all.
Speaker 5: The fact that the that the court was, that the court was relying on the court of the both courts relied on were ones that were based on documentary, just pictures of the pictures of the play AffA Davis, from people who had been there, who knew that, who knew the space.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rob, let me deject because I'll be honest with you, I feel even more strongly that the city should have settled. Let's I know you' vehemently disagree. But so the expectation is you get a nine to one one call. They're making a service run. There's a threat of an individual, and that's not obviously that's not being challenged, the fact that Kwondevra Ticks had a gun, had a long gun.
Speaker 3: They knock on the door, the door opens.
Speaker 2: It's not like the officers had time to go, wow, is this a private residence as an apartment?
Speaker 3: And I don't know the nine one call.
Speaker 2: Maybe the neighbors said, yeah, this guy lives in an upstairs apartment next door. Okay, great, they knock on the door, the door opens, there's someone allegedly with a gun, So there's a duty there to prevent future homicides or shootings from happening. They didn't have time to you know, call a realtor or check, you know, go to the auditor's website to find out what the what the situation was. They just assumed wrongly that it was a multi unit building and went up the stairs. Isn't that in the in the light of what happened here, what actually occurred, isn't that? Is that in an indefensible position though, I mean, how are the cops to know, you know, what, what the whether it was a multi unit or single unit building. That's that's a tough call for cop to make in the blank of an eye.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Scott, this is something that police officers need to be trained on and needs to be able to make the right decision. And when it comes down to it, when if you're I'll just have to remind your audience it was eleven thirty at night. Where you go walking into someone's house at eleven thirty at night, and the circumstances here are that you're right. There's a nine to one call in which the somebody has complained about Kwandavier identified them as a suspect. Those facts, the fact they alleged, ultimately fall apart when when invested with. So they're relying on a third hand witness, and you're suggesting that they should they should just win if in doubt, they walk into someone's house. This house was dark, it was eleven thirty at night, and they did not announce themselves as police officers. So a person in that position, and the US Supreme Court has ruled on it that the police officers. Part of the reason that the Fourth Amendment protects against unwarranted envisions of the home is to protect police officers because it is foreseeable the police officers that invade in the dark of night will be faced with armed resistance, will be faced with people who think they have to defend their homes. And in that circumstance, we can't just have police officers creating that situation. And then, but isn't it.
Speaker 2: Reasonable though, for the officers to think, Okay, this is a multi unit building. I'm walking and basically I'm walking into a lobby. Do you have to announce yourself if you walk into the lobby of the building.
Speaker 5: If you were, it might really be different if this were a lobby of the building, it might be different. I mean, it's very poort honestly has found cases where there were common spaces where it wasn't justified for them to enter there. So it's a very it's an entry, it's a case. It's a determination that is made very much on our case by case basis. But the real principle that that stake here is that the officer, in order to keep themselves safe, in order to keep the people safe, to just exercise uh that when in doubt, you don't walk into somebody's house. I mean, and this is just a situation that has repeated itself and repeated itself over the course of history. When when you it is is it is to be expected that people who don't who don't know what they're dealing to, think there's an intruder in their home, are going to respond forcefully. And so that's why, Look, we get back to a big one of the huge aditions in the case was just how how an officer is trained and how they respond to the circumstances and what's the right determination because this wasn't Look, you're right, there was a nine to one one fault, but they didn't even that's that person. The person couldn't tell them where he lived. They didn't know there, so they were they were, they were largely flying on incomplete information. But based on that they made that they made just a couple of mistakes which compounded themselves and created a deadly situation, when if they had simply waited at the door outside, eventually the situation would have resolved him.
Speaker 2: Well, But again that's that's hindsight though, right, that the girlfriend would have came back, or maybe Hicks would have came down. But if you got a call, is it does it change though? Simply because the edded twist is the fact that you had an aggravated medicine call, meaning that that individual who had threatened, allegedly threatened the neighbors had a gun. And so if an officer knows that it goes into a situation, does that change the fact that they entered what they thought was a common area, going, hey, we got a guy with a gun. We don't know what his intense are. He could wind up, you know, shooting people in this building, shooting from the window. We don't know at this point, and you know, we'd be if they had simply walked away and said, well, we can't go in there. Who know, you know, for since we're playing the hindsight in they this person could have went and shot some other people or innocent folks or something along those lines. It seems reasonable. It seems like the entirely thing, the approach of the office seems reasonable. I think if I were on a jury, I'd say it seems reasonable that they would walk in there because they.
Speaker 3: Had a call with the guy with a gun.
Speaker 5: Well, but that I would turn that fact and look at it from exactly the other side. If the officers knew that there's that that this person might legitimately be might be armed, right, then that's that's the reason to be all the more cautious and in particular to respond because if if this, if the suspects believe that there's somebody who might be coming after right, the complaint from the nine one one callar was we had an argument, we had a dispute with this person, right and that and and he's threatened us. So we know that this person is on edge. We know that the person we're looking for is it might be expecting trouble, and so at that point, why not announce we are police? Officers. Why not let him know who he's dealing with, so that behind that door, when when when he opened that door to the interior of his home, he knows that it is a police officer and not not a person who might seek to do him harm. So you're there are a couple layers of this, and one is did they did they enter the house correctly? But and then the second is why didn't they just let him know? Why didn't they announce that that they are police officers and not intruders? Not the very person who called nine to one one? Who who who by the way, had just you know this, this the nine one one caller, We should know who? Again his allegations, he specifically told him he didn't. I'll correct you one one, okay, you can tell him that they had a guy that that condavior had a gun in the situation that he threatened them with a gun, but they knew he had guns in the house, gotcha. So if you're a police officer and you know you're walking up to somebody who's keyed up, that's why that was our whole point in the circumstance. Would have would have counseled for them to let him know who they were, and that would have look if he'd come down to the bottom, just to the exterior of the door. There's a window at that door. He opens the curtain, he looked outside, he sees police officers. If he had his gun in his hand at that time, he's coming to his actual door, which he knows has a lock on it. He sets the gun aside, he said, he comes out, he talks to the police officers, or maybe he doesn't do anything at all.
Speaker 2: Well maybe also maybe I don't know, maybe he decides he wants to shoot the police officer too. We don't Again, we can play that, can we just we don't know. But it's a settled issue, largely because the officer had retired at that point and this thing had been dragged out long enough. But I'm way over time. But I appreciate your so much. Rob Lindham, an attorney for the We could I probably talk about this for hours, right, but it's closed, and I mean there's closed at the end of the day. Whether you agreed disagree, there's closure for the family.
Speaker 3: We move on.
Speaker 2: Rob Lindham, an attorney at law, Thanks so much for coming back on the show. I really appreciate it and very interesting discussion.
Speaker 5: Scott, thank you for the invitation. I appreciate all the best.
Speaker 2: Be well, I'm a get a time out. And so what do you think on the cop side or on the Hicks family side? You heard the narrative of what went on. I'm even more strongly on the cop side after this one five, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand and eight or the big one talk back iHeartRadio app We'll get your calls and your thoughts. Just ahead, Sloaney on seven hundred WWT. Here we go, fac Scott Flows Show, seven hundred WLW. Get some snow up north a little bit, huh if you're driving on that stuff, I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I just haad on if you missed it too, and can catch it with the podcast after the show and download it at your leisure. I just had to Ken Lindaman Ken as the attorney for the kwandavior Hicks family. As you know, I was talking about this yesterday, and if you're listening yesterday, thank you. Secondly, at the very end of the segment, as I was talking about us and being the city of Cincinnati, if you're a taxpayer paying off settling cases, and you know, it's We've had a steady diet of this stuff and I think, you know, enough crumbs you make a loaf, and all of a sudden you start adding these things up. And it's a lot of money. We doled out eight over eight million dollars for the protesters during the George Floyd affair where individuals are coming to Cincinnati or from Cincinnati and uh, we're protesting, and you know, essentially there's a curfew you put in place eventually, and they broke curfew and if you break the law, you get arrested. That is that should be a given right. It's like, okay, well we listen. You can protest, but you can do what you want. You can do everything you want. You simply just can't run the show. And I think this is more true today than ever as we look at what's happening in Minnesota. Now, whatever you think about what's happening with ice agents and the like, you know, I have a problem shre with with masked agents and you know what essentially looks like the military kicking indoors and alike. And you know they did one the other day where there it wasn't even a warrant, it was signed by some sort of administrator.
Speaker 3: You can't do that. That's not constitutional. We have rules.
Speaker 2: At the same time, I totally would expect people to be up in arms and protesting, especially in a left leaning, a liberal progressive state like Minnesota, You're going to have that happen. And you know, if you are so offended, you should take to the streets and you should pro test. But just knowing the fact that, well, like this most recent shooting we had, if you attack a law enforcement officer with a shovel, you're gonna get shot.
Speaker 3: You probably should get shot. That crawls and say, okay, I'm protesting.
Speaker 2: But when you start doing that, when you you know, again we don't know the entire story about what happened that trigger this whole thing, But if you're in there interfering with whether you think it's legitimate or not law enforcement acting the way they are, it's going to be a long day for you. Just that that you simply can you know, go in assault police officers or tempt to sell police officers and get away with it, because if it's not that's not protected by the First Amendment, that is not you don't have a legal right to attack a police officer. You just simply don't nor block traffic or whatever it is. And at some point the facts that this will come out. And it's pretty hairy right now. I understand that. But is it any different that we're talking about in these situations here locally in Cincinnati. If you're out there protesting and you get locked up and it's a hot summer day, and you go, well, wait a minute, I forgot to bring my medication with me. Wait a minute, I don't have any bottle of water. Wait a minute, I got to There's eight hundred of us and we're held in a sally part waiting to be processed.
Speaker 3: No system is set up to do that.
Speaker 2: And I know lawyers would argue that, but that's the nature of lawyers is to try and argue and get money, and they do and that's how our system works. Fine, I'm good with that, but you know, careful what you wish for. You might just get it, okay, if you really are that, if you're trying to be I guess maybe Martin Luther King Junior incarnate with MLK Day coming up. I mean, he suffered tremendously for what he believed in but did it peacefully and marched, and you know, we saw he changed history for sure. But I just I wonder if he's kind of giving you some side eye right now, going, oh my god, you didn't have a bottle of water. And so now we're going to file a lawsuit against the city of Cincinnata. In the case of Minnesota's like, Okay, we think it's unjust, and we're going to march in protest. But when you start attacking police officers, no good is going to come out of that. And then it just gets toy out crowd more while it's like you're entitled to be able to do whatever the hell you want when there's a cop there, and that's not how it should work. But I mentioned the eight million dollar settlement. I mentioned what's going on with Ryan Hinton and the allegations by Ken Kober the FOP that the city's going to wind up giving this family some money even though the officers were completely justified in shooting Ryan Hinton. Now in this case, we're talking about the late this one, so I'm not kind of lumped them together. Yesterday Kwandavia Hicks shot and killed by police in this North Side apartment in twenty fifteen, long time ago, so it's hard to go back.
Speaker 3: But in the case that Rob.
Speaker 2: Lindeman and I enjoyed having him on the show this morning, was outlining is I'm even more set in my ways about going It seemed like it was. The entry was just No one is disputing the fact that officers were justified in shooting and killing Kwandevera Hicks shooting him was justified every court so upheld that. But the argument he had was that, Okay, it's kind of like a side door apartment and the door was open and they walked in because they had a complaint. The CONDEVI Hicks threatened the lives of neighbors with a gun. And so when I hear that, I go, that's a clear and present danger.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the wrong term to use here legally, but I'm not an attorney, and I hear that and go, is it reasonable if you're in the shoes of the cop. Okay, I get a call there's a guy with a gun. All right, where's he live? We're kind of sure it's this house over here. Okay, we think this is the house. It's dark, it's eleven thirty at night. He god to go to the side entrance and the door. They knock on the door and the door swings open. It was unlocked. Okay, we think that the suspect is in here based on the information that we have, and it looks like okay, there's some stairs and there's a door upstairs, and you know, maybe it looks like an apartment. I mean, I guess you're expecting with hindsight being what it is, that officers at eleven thirty at night where they radio run a dispatch call for them for a call for service, that there's an individual possibly with a gun. We know he has access to firearms, so we're guarded, we're cautions. So here a threat neighbors. Are we going to stop a possible homicide or let's play said a mass shooting could be we don't know. All right, doors open, we walk in. Yeah, we didn't announce ourselves because there may be somebody with a gun and maybe we wants to take a look here. And we also think that it's a common area. Like for example, if you go ino a place I don't know and entrance of any building and it's a common area, you know, typically you're not gonna identify yourself because you think it's a common area. I think it's just the fact of the matter is that you know, we can go back in time and look at it, and the cops are like, well, you should have known it. Well, how would you know that? Have you had multiple calls as residents? Do you need to go look on the auditor's site to see just here? Do you need to call a realtor the landlord to be No, because there's someone with a gun in there? Just doesn't seem to me to be it seems reasonable for the officers did what they did.
Speaker 3: I guess if fire and.
Speaker 2: A jury, and obviously this didn't come to a jury, but if fireing a jury, I would look at it that way, going yeah, And I would think most jurors would probably go yeah. And you know, blanket and I considering the circumstances, dead and night, guy with a gun. The door was opened, We walked in unannounced, and then we look upstairs and he points the gun down at us. Okay, maybe and I could see condever Hicks side of it. Maybe he didn't think the police are coming.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 2: I would say, if you threaten some with a gun and somebody is knocking at your door. Do you think it's someone there to shoot you? It's the neighbor's shooting you. Possibly, But of course when you open the door and it's cops at that moment, maybe you go my, you know, because there was a struggle for the gun. Even the mom said, well, why didn't they just drag him out of the head they grabbed the gun. They well, why didn't they drag him out? Well, because it's a gun, and that escalas thing too while we're going to defend ourselves with our with our weapons. But I guess the question would be, why wouldn't Quandevera Hicks just simply have surrendered at that point. It's not like he, you know, pointed the gun through the door, around the door and blindly shot because he thought there's intruders. It's kind of like what happened in with Brandon Taylor in Louisville, right the officers shot into a dark building. She and she thought, okay, maybe it's a home invasion. I didn't know their police officer, police detectives that that's legitimate in this case, Like you saw that their uniform three police three or four uniformed police officers said, why wouldn't you stop doing what you're doing. And so you know, based on that, I look at it, go wow. I think after that conversation, I'm even more inclined to think the cops are right here and then question why we settled this whole thing. And that's the crux of this is I put out yesterday they have like an eight nine million dollar budget of the law Department of Cincinnati does And you know, if you have lawyers on staff, you're already paying for this kind of like a lawyer and retainer. I'm already the meeters already run, I'm already paying I might as well. I might as well use you I got on. Do you see it the cops way or do you see it on the Hicks family side of thing? Five one, three, seven, four, nine seven eight, hund the big one. It's talked back on the iHeart radio app but it and to me, it's just like, okay, well it's gone on for ten years and maybe you know, this is a bad example for me to throw in there as far as what's happening with Ryan Hinton and maybe paying that family off or and we should totally fight that one. The eight million dollars for the Cincinnati protesters. I don't know what the hell we're thinking there, and this one kind of got lumped in, and maybe there's a little different nuance with this one, but I don't know. I tend to look at it going yeah, I could see in the blink of an eye, CoP's getting it right, and the use of force was justified. On top of this, this seems even less of a standard for them, And I think it's a legitimate question in Cincinnati where you ask, all right, if we keep doing this and just paying people off, even though it was ten years, are we just encouraging moreless behavior. And I'm probably the answer would be yes, I understand this. This went on a long long time, ten years. And even the cop in this case, the female cop that shot, she's since retired. And so now you're playing this game where you know, witnesses don't remember stuff, the cops are tired it. You know how long we're going to drag this thing out? Maybe just said okay, in this case, we write a check for a million and a half and you know, we call it a day. No assumption of guilt whatsoever, but we just settled and that's it. I don't know, maybe maybe anyway, I'll maybe get some calls in this one and your thoughts and if you heard this yesterday, because he called late yesterday. I wanted to give him a little bit more time to discuss that because I think it's just such a damn interesting case and how this whole thing played out, because it wasn't about whether the use of force was justified, because it was it was whether or not the cops should have walked into that building. And you have a right in your own home to protect yourself from intruders, and if cop, you have to have a warrant for search. But I don't know this one is different because you had a legitimate threat that was happening at that particular moment, and police have a dudey to respond to a search warrant if there's a probable call, right the probable cause of him having a gun and threatening people, and we've got to make sure that he doesn't do that to me. That kind of out weighs what we're talking about here. But a million and a half dollars or are a budget not that much money? I will say, we just keep doing this and doing and those are peers that we keep settling and settling and what we're just gonna give everybody money now that has an issue with us.
Speaker 3: I don't understand anyway.
Speaker 2: We'll get more of that quick time out and more to follow here Scott's Loland back and forth seven hundred ww. You know who should never drove a car again? Cam Taylor Britt. I remember was it on the sixth? I think whatever it was that he was out driving around and you know, flying up and down the streets and stuff like outside of twice or And now he is back in the news because video just came out back in November on Scott Street and Covington about three o'clock, three thirty in the morning on November twelfth, Cam Taylor Britt was a passenger in a car that accelerated a high rate of speed and flipped over on Scott Street and we're undo a parked Chevy and flipped over and everything was okay. Now the very next day of the next game, there's a game the next day. He was the end of the season enng injury. One would have to think, is there a relationship between that accident, the rollover action he was in the night before, and the injury that happened on game day. If that's the case, some of the Bengals looking to avoid in that contract. But this is a dude who pled guilty on the sixth of January to driving with restricted license reckless driving, and this one was a passenger and someone driving recklessly. See a pattern here, I certainly do.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: There's some people it's just like you should not be driving anymore.
Speaker 3: We're good, We're good.
Speaker 2: Let me get to Columbus and Sherry on the Scotsland Show on seven hundred w W how's everything on the sea bus?
Speaker 1: Well, we're getting poorer and poorer here. They're forcing us to do a lot of stuff as tax payers, and my property taxes never go down because they're funding a very I would call Marxist agenda agenda. And our mayor is of Shaker and they're the Shakers are socialists.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was very socialists.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well, at the same time, I mean, it's also what the voters want to intend to be a little bit more progressive in Columbus.
Speaker 3: In Cincinnati, I.
Speaker 5: Had not I mean, I had no idea.
Speaker 1: There was no one here that every single person believed in this. I mean, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: What do you think about what do you think about paying off the paying off in this case I was talking about quit the case I was talking about here in Cincinnati, Quandavior Hicks, but the other ones, and I'm sure you guys have a pattern too. It's just like we just keep paying people off, and you know there are times you're gonna have to settle and then it's it's right in just maybe this case it is because it's gone on for ten years. But the pattern is like, well, it's not our money, We'll just continue to give it out.
Speaker 1: Yes, was that a nine to one one call?
Speaker 5: I didn't Yeah, somebody had.
Speaker 3: Called a neighbor.
Speaker 2: He had threatened, So I guess neighbors. And the neighbors had something stolen and they either suspected or saw Hicks do it, and they said, hey, you know what we saw you still in it. So he threatened them with a gun and then then they called nine one one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's a nine one one call, I'm sorry, with a deadly weapon, they have time to get a search warrant. This case cannot this can't this can't be. This cannot stand. If they're gonna if they're gonna win, right, because you don't have time to get a search warrant. You've got to respond to an emergency. So I just I don't think that they should be paid now, Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you listening up in the Columbus being well sherey, thanks for checking in this morning.
Speaker 3: Five one three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. That's awesome. Uh we it's not like you know, cops don't make mistakes.
Speaker 2: I admit that we've seen plenty of that happen in the past, right, and we will be waiting for the foreseeable future about what's happening with icy just in this country, particularly in Minnesota, whether that's just what we want that we'll decide that there's voters, right, I mean, how far, what how far do we want government agents to go, especially federal government agents. It's a legitimate question now, attacking police officers with shovels and cars, you're gonna you know again, you keep doing stuff like that and thinking that's somehow justified to physically attack law enforcement officers. You're gonna see more people shot. You can't do that. That's not how it works, not how it works at all. But I'm sure I know on Minnesota. I wonder if the fedsil went up settling some of these cases that I guess I probably are going to get litigated sivil. I'm sure the case of the woman who was killed, a woman who shot that started this whole thing's gonna for sure, Van Delia, Steve, you're on the Scott'sland shoke.
Speaker 3: Morning, Good morning Scott. How you doing. I'm doing well, trying to stay warm. How about you.
Speaker 9: Trying to stay warm myself?
Speaker 3: I hear you.
Speaker 9: In regards to the protests or to the payments that the city has made out, particularly the protesters, since this was public money, I mean in the Hicks in the hitting cases, we know where the money is going. Has there ever been a list published as to where these protesters where those checks are being sent to, because I think it'd be very interesting to find out whether these are people with Ohio address or whether these are people with California, or Illinois or Massachusetts address.
Speaker 2: I saw the list, and there are a number of them from out of state, and spend such a long time and I didn't have time to look it up.
Speaker 3: I apologize.
Speaker 2: I know there were Cincinnatians on there, but a remarkable number of people who are from not the Cincinnati right now. You could have people from the suburbs and elsewhere, and you certainly have every right to go somewhere and protest if you so wish. But I think I can read between logic questioners. Are these people just showing up to every protest? And if so, is this how they make their money? Are they getting funded from somewhere else? And there's a distinct possibility that that may be occurring. But you know, I think that gets overblown. I think a lot of this is just people who are looking for something to be angry. I didn't I've never been out set where I would travel to another city to protest something.
Speaker 3: I've not gotten to that point yet. How about you, Well, no, I would not do that either.
Speaker 9: But I also think another interesting point in I think we've established the fact that there are professional protesters and they are being paid. I think it would be very interesting to find out if they're having taxes deduct from them payments, because I'm sure they exceed the six hundred dollars limit, and it would be interesting as to who is ever paying them, whether they're paying the proper taxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if we'll ever get that answer, honestly, simply because I mean, that's just gonna take a lot of work to find out. I don't know sure it is. It might be like, you know, the issue, well, voter fraud out there. Then they wind up after the election auction stolen voter fraud and you know your own FBI, and they investigate and find out, Okay, there's a handful, now there's two or three of four. It's not going to swing an election. So I think there's a lot of hyperbole in that whole thing as well too, But nonetheless, it is what it is, as they say, And I think we've got to hold, especially for Cincinnatian and your tax payers, like can you be more responsible and not pay all this money out just to settle things. It would be interesting to see if they actually litigated something for once and see how that plays out.
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 2: Got a news update in momentarily here it's a Scott Sloan show on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Since nat.
Speaker 2: What's up Scott's Sloan back on seven hundred WLW. So when the country is in strife and turmoil, you try different things. Although I don't know if socialism is really all that different a thing, but you know, generations who didn't see the Cold War stuff like that, see what that kind of oppression does, want to try it. And so we have ushered in the age of Zora and Mundami of New York City, the improbable mayor of the largest city in the United States, and the thirty four year old self proclaimed democratic socialists signing executive orders left and he's been in office a few days. Yeah, there's some stuff universal child care for two year olds, but also he got rid of a whole bunch of fees and procedures for small business. Which is interesting on this is that Ken jarardin from a Manhattan institute. Welcome back, Ken, how are you forty?
Speaker 6: Good view with you?
Speaker 2: He just moved into Gracie Mansions. He's had to manation New York City a few days ago. As I mentioned a couple of things, the team contradictory at times from an avowed socialist.
Speaker 3: But what are we expecting? And not only that, are we just.
Speaker 2: Going to see this big socialist wave across the country from coast to coast.
Speaker 10: I'd actually pushed back a little bit and I'd say he's kind of a lagging indicator, that is him winning the primary. That was a kind of a wake up call to folks to say, let's zoom out and look and just see where socialist proposals have already taken route something in them. Donnie had spent five years in the state of Emily, in Albany, and so that was my first stop. And I looked there and I reviewed. There are a number of socialist proposals, some of which have pretty widespread political support, but some other big ones also predate.
Speaker 6: Him as an assemblement.
Speaker 10: And I thought this was a good opportunity to take a look at the full, the full buffet of stuff that people in the socialist persuasion want.
Speaker 3: Sure I bring that.
Speaker 2: Up, as I said, Okay, you could see because among younger people, younger people love socialists. You go to a college campus, you know you've got Socialism is the greatest thing.
Speaker 3: We just got to do the right kind.
Speaker 2: Socialism is a failed experiment, but we just we haven't fully done socialism yet. And that's always the excuse, right is why socialism fails. And of course there's a host of other reasons. There's you know, central planning can't allocate resources effectively and you get rid of competition, and it drives incentivization and a whole bunch of things. And we can get into why socialism is bad as as a as a political philosophy.
Speaker 3: But young people see because yeah, I look at young people to America.
Speaker 2: It's New York City or Cincinnati, and hey, they're worried about jobs, they worried about housing, they worried about health care. Healthcare has a mass. Both Republicans Democrats created this problem and no one has a solution to fixing it other than more subsidies that we continue to borrow money to give subsided to be people to make it afford it's not affordable. We're just taking money from one pile and moving it somewhere else. You worry about. You know, people haven't worked two or three or more jobs just to keep their nose above water. And a lot of people can't do that. Housing is getting unrealistically unexpensive. So there's like a grossola of young people feel like they're painted in a corner right now. And that is always the catalyst or something like this coming along.
Speaker 10: Well, let's remember everybody grows up in not just socialism, but actually communism to a certain extent, that's where your family is, like I have I have communism at home with my children. There where there's communal responsibility, community, communal ownership, and that's great within the family unit. When you start trying to build an entire society around it, that's where things historically have always falled apart and struggled. That's where you inevitably have markets because you always have mismatching needs and wants between family units. And that's something where the socialists don't appreciate that difference between what goes on and family and what goes on between people with different situations, resources, skills, and and neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's socialism is and then the next phase after communist socialism. You know a lot of people go to school and they learn about socialism, and then it just becomes the you know, one campus agitator talking about we just haven't had perfect socialism, the right socialism yet. But you know the basis of socialism just in general, let alone. The version of what democratic socialism is is it's government ownership and control. It's a single payer system. There's no private competition, and you need all that to thrive into democracy. You need that and you know, certainly we have problems in America, there's no denying that. But you know, you want to be like I don't know, you want to be like like the former Soviet Union. Do you want to be like you know, China during during the seventies. Do you want to be Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea? The answer is hell, no.
Speaker 6: You're.
Speaker 10: You're you're very politely going through the history of instances where major, major attempts at socialism have been tried, and one thing that's really unappreciated and all of that is the disappearance of price signals when you start having the government promise that they're going to provide everything.
Speaker 6: I think back to an example from.
Speaker 10: About twenty years ago when the Cuban government had to provide rice cookers for citizens.
Speaker 6: And there was this it was this big to do. Wow, isn't it so magnanimous?
Speaker 10: The Cuban government is providing all citizens with rice cookers. And the reason this happened was because the shortage of rice cookers in Cuba had really scanned the flames of the black market that the government had created for everything else, because people weren't because there were so many shortages that people were having to go and trade on their own, and you had this sort of blossoming private, you know, private underground economy. And that's something that socials don't appreciate that prices send information. Prices tell us where things are needed, where things are wanted, right, and that's why you see in those you know, in those societies that they inevitably really do lean into socialism, they inevitably run into trouble.
Speaker 2: Soviet Union comes to mind, chronic shortage of consumer goods, and we saw the pictures. I'm lined up for toilet paper to be handed out right. We've got abundant natural resources in the Soviet Union, and yet that happened and we saw the economic collapse, and then they kind of want to go back to that because you have a generation or two that didn't see how bad it was. It's kind of like here with vaccines, right, it's like, oh, well, what the vaccine's got to be worse than whooping cough? Well, if you see what wooping cough looks like, you would rather take the vaccine that have whooping cough.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's unfortunately, these are the sorts of lessons that every generation seems inevitably to have to relearn. And it's now been thirty four years since the fall of communism, and there are people alive in their thirties who have never who weren't alive for the USSR, And we have to be constantly reminding people about these about these lessons where they still exist in the world. We can't rely too much talk about what went on behind the Iron Curtain, and we have to talk more about where these shortfalls are in existing countries, including by the way, sometimes own, and talk about where these experiments with socialism just haven't panned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is the lesson. But of course the cry has always been yeah, but it's different. Now, is it really all that different because it's an economic.
Speaker 6: Erce next time will be different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next time, it said, well, they haven't gotten it right yet. I mean, look at some of these other countries like Sweden, it's that's more democratic socialism and okay, so explain to me how things are so perfect in a world like.
Speaker 10: That, and it's not even I mean, let's be clear, there's a very big difference between having a very robust welfare state funded with lots of taxes and still allowing market competition to happen. What probably what we should be more concerned about is where the government wants to step in and be the only provider of certain things, where you stop having competition, where you stop having capital allocation. That's where you also run into really big problems with cronyism when you start to put government in charge of things like like the electric grid or the healthcare system, and you you move away from what is an imperfect but at least responsive system. And that's one of the that's one of the importances of preserving those market systems because in a poor performing part of the market you can always go somewhere else. You lose that when you have the state takeover stuff. And like I said, in Scandinavia, they have a lot of social wealth spending, but they don't necessarily have asshiciating state ownership of things.
Speaker 6: There's a there's a very big difference there, and I.
Speaker 10: Think people try to almost impolitely sneak Scandinavia through as some example of this, you know, democratic socialist nirvana, but it's not.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of socialism baked into policies in America, right, I mean, you mentioned healthcare. Is there anything more socialistic than our healthcare system or schools or whatever it might be. Now, granted, we're trying to be able to take your money, make it portable, and have private schools and vouchers and things like that with a lot of resistance, but we've got a lot of socialism baked into the American system now, case in point under Trump, who's an avowed anti socialist, But we just bought what shares of Intel and MP and US Steel, Canadian mining companies, a bunch of others as well. The state owns the means of production. We have socialism now, don't.
Speaker 10: You have instances where we were The most efficient system right now is to have state ownership for things, and we should be constantly looking critically at that and looking for alternatives. Doesn't mean you should throw it out, but we should always be asking the question is this the most efficient, responsive way to do stuff, because we often find it isn't. Look at what's happened with the postal service over the past fifty sixty seventy years, where you've had private actors come and you know they have been given the space to compete, and in a lot of cases they're eating the postal services lunch because competition was you know, competition was allowed there. Now we're not going to have rival you know snow. You know, we're not going to have rival roads or private roads to our houses anytime soon. But in places like the healthcare in the education space, we routinely find that competition not only leads to innovation, but also leads to better outcomes for folks. In New York, there are lots of what are called charter schools, which are publicly funded, privately run schools that parents can pick if they don't like how their neighborhood school is performing. And there are parts of New York City where a third of the public school kids are now in charter schools because they've been given that alternative, that competition. It's good, it's healthy, and we should constantly be looking for opportunities to create more competition, even for in spaces where that we right now call the government.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe we're like what sixty seventy years past Brown versus Board of Education, but that's exactly what this is.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: You know, mister Brown, back in the day he said, why do I have to send my kid? You know, us to be black to a school on the other side of town simply because of her skin color. Why can't you go to the one right down the street from us. Same thing's happening today too. It's like, well, wait, why do I have to send my kid across town to a school that's performing when a underperforming school, Why don't we just fix the school that's broken that steps away from my house. Same type of argument, and here we go again in a limited time we have because I don't know how many people are found this man Danny thing, but we really haven't discussed his hit list, his wants and needs and what he wants to do New York City, why he won the mayor all primary. What are some of the promise So what are some of things that jumped off the page at you when it comes to the reforms they want to do with a democratic socialist or a socialist system in New York City.
Speaker 10: Three major parts of some of them on Donnie's platform were making buses free with the New York City providing free universal childcare, and then also freezing the rent for about half the apartment in New York City. Those that are subject to New York City rent regulations.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm a landlord, I own property, So you're telling me I have a cap on how much I can charge. What do you think I'm gonna do?
Speaker 10: Ken, I would not be shocked if you were to immediately sell your property if that were the case.
Speaker 2: Or sell to the state, or it's like, okay, fine, I'll keep it. But you know your microwave breaks. You think I'm going to replace that anytime soon? The roof is laking, a pipe is broken, your refrigerator isn't working. Where's my incentive to fix that if I can't recoup my losses.
Speaker 10: This is something again that predates Mamdani. This goes back to the twenty nineteen rent laws in New York, which were quite possibly the most extreme rent regulation in the country. But what they've resulted in is something called warehousing, where you have these apartment buildings where a tenant moved out and the landlord just doesn't want to spend ninety or one hundred thousand dollars rehabilitating this apartment that's often been occupied for forty plus years, and they don't want to do the upgrades. They don't they don't want to spend the money on major mitigation. So instead this apartment gets warehoused, which means nobody gets to rent it. It contributes to the housing shortage in New York City. It stresses the finances of those buildings and limits the apartment owner's ability to invest other things that would benefit the other tenants. And it is something that for which there eventually there will be a reckoning in New York as more apartments get warehoused, as more apartment buildings get pushed into financial distress by this law, and at the end of the day, the biggest losers are going to be the.
Speaker 3: Dem in New York City.
Speaker 2: It looks like it did in the seventies, where you have burnt out buildings and poverty atop of poverty, and it becomes a dystopian nightmare.
Speaker 10: I very much hope that we don't ever ever revisit that situation that we saw the Bronx comes to mind in the nineteen seventies. I really hope we don't get there. But it is always possible for state policy to result in very big problems, especially at the local.
Speaker 2: Level, largely because history always repeats itself. Because we have short memories, we don't learn, we don't look at the past and go, wow, we got to keep doing We go, well, why why are we doing that? Why are we doing it? No, it's different now, it's really not really that different. The model. The model still works and the failures of socialism historically speaking, even though theoretically, you know, theory is one thing you applied, it doesn't work. You know, central planning can't allocate resources and a lot as you as you mentioned, you know, there's got to be signals from the from the market on what a price on something should be. If not, you're gonna have shortages and surpluses and misallocate. You're gonna have a million toilet seats and no toilet papers, which are going to wind up having, and there's no incentive for companies to make stuff. We sa again back to the Soviet Union. Now you have one one type of car is all you have? Well, good the how did that work out for those vehicles, whether it's in Cuba or whether it's the Soviet Union. And Venezuela is another great example oil rich high. You know, you can talk about not having resource, but Venezuela is an oil is an oil rich nation. And you look at what happened there because they nationalize the industries. Productivity went down. You had seven plus million people fleeing and their GDP collapsed. That's why Venezuela is in the state it's in right now. That's why we're blown up ships off their coast because you know, exporting drugs as a you know, front for China is the only opportunity that they have. And it's an aill origination. It's it's a shame, it really is.
Speaker 6: Well, next time will be different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, because now we have the Internet and that's the game change.
Speaker 3: We have AI.
Speaker 2: They didn't have the they didn't have the AI back.
Speaker 3: In the nineties. It's gonna be different this time around.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: The only thing to change was we had yet people come of age, be born and not seeing the abject poverty and problems with these models, and then they just go this seems like a sexy thing because they're buying, you know, they're buying something somebody else almos like, yeah, you don't have to work and the state supplies everything.
Speaker 9: Sign me up.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't want that? It's like crawling back in the womb.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be responsible, accountable, you don't have to hustle or do anything. But if if you do, and if you want to, we don't have room for you. There's no incentive to do that. Again, it's a kinjer arden. You can read about this at man Hatton Institute dot dot com or is it dot org?
Speaker 6: I apologize it's Manhattan dot Institute.
Speaker 3: Manhattan dot Institute. There you go. So I really.
Speaker 2: It could be the best, the good best, or socialism on the husband anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it can be.
Speaker 3: Well thanks, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Now it's New York City though, so we live in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana. Look at it and get the popcorn out. We watched like la right, just go yeah, okay, well you do you. I don't really care, but I will say, you know, I mean maybe the opposite could be true as well, that maybe his brand of socialism. And again I say that tongue in cheek, not as extreme as it's made.
Speaker 3: Out to be. We'll see.
Speaker 2: It's simply because I think it's kind of surprising to me anyway, as a small government kind of guy, that he announced just I think yesterday day before that he is going to eliminate a lot of the rules restrictions and fees for small business in New York City. Not very socialistic of him, but nonetheless, we'll see what happens. We'll say it plays out anyway, and what the impact is for this next election cycle coming up. I just fear there's going to be more like him. We'll find out. We'll find out how about some new use traffic weather with all the snow flying around here and there, We'll find out what the future brings. And I know it's gonna be cold. We'll find out we're getting any accumulating snow in our area anyway too. I know Wilmington up that way north Elebanon northeast eleven and got a little bit of snow like four four and a half inches up that way. So if you're traveling there, be advised. Scott's Loan Show. In a return, we'll tell a little health and fitness and how to deal with all of this weather now that the reality post holiday has set in? How do you deal between now and opening day? We'll get into that next seven hundred w ol wwt Scott's Loan Show, Scott's Loon Show. This is seven hundred w old w I don't have to tell you that we are headed into that time of the year where we don't see the sun. Like Johnny Cash, I ain't seen the sun suns. I don't know when. It's like you're in fulsome prison for about six months in Cincinnati, Ohio. We're about to have the time change, and then you don't see the sun well maybe late afternoon, then lucky at all? And how do you get by with all this stuff? Like in real life in Cincinnati. It's one thing to talk about time change and effect it has, but we live here and we know how just gray and dismal it can be until baseball starts all back. He's Jen Beckett, Complete Health Revolution, Jen, Welcome. How are you So? This all started back in the fall with the time change. I talked about that, and then the holidays come along and we're kind of happy, and hey, Holidays, it's festive. I got my new outfan. I'm gonna go on a partner and hang out with my friends. I'm family and take some time off and I gotta shop and all that stuff. And then New York, okay, New Year, New Year's Eve we were part of like rock stars, and then we come out Okay, time to diet, fitness, all that said.
Speaker 3: Great, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Here we are now a couple of weeks in the new year, and the reality, especially with the snowflakes fly and this morning is cold and bitter. It's going to be now. Reality is set in. Uh, there's only so much positive energy I have. I'm exhausted at this point relative to diet, in sunlight and all those things tell me something good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there is so much and such a great question, and it's timely topic, you know. I think one of the biggest pieces that is really important to consider is to listen to your body's natural rhythm. You know, as we as we change seasons and daylight shortens and cortisol and melatonin patterns change, we might be craving more rest, more and more warmth. There's grounding tools that we can use, there's grounding foods that we can lean into. But the key is to really listen to what your body is telling you. And I know, in a fast paced society we try and just.
Speaker 8: Go and go and go.
Speaker 11: Sometimes the most powerful thing we can do is just slow down, take a breath, and go what do I really need right now?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, like physically, I mean, how about a bag of Dorito's. That's I could use that right now.
Speaker 11: Okay, let me rephrase that, because intuitive eating it right a lot of people go, oh, well, whatever, I feel like that's what I should be eating. Well, intuitive is what does.
Speaker 8: My body need more of right now?
Speaker 11: And Dorito's. Chances are our body doesn't need Dorito's. Our mouth might be craving it, our brain might be craving it. But chances are we're going to be looking for things that are more in the lines of movement rest nourishments. You know, in the fall season, in the winter, we tend to lean more towards grounding vegetables. Think about like root vegetables that have more density to them. They're warmer vegetables. They hold a more chloric value for us. And you know, outside of nourishment, we're also leaning more towards more sunlight and hydration. Might be warmer beverages versus you know, ice, coal beverages we experienced or enjoy in the summertime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that that makes sense. You want that warmth, you want that comfort, you want something to you know, everyone loves a mug of coffee or if you like tea or whatever, and it's cider even right, it's warm, you put your hands around it in front of the fireplace, very Norman walk rock well like. But there's actually is there physical or is it more metal component?
Speaker 3: Ors it both?
Speaker 11: It's both, It really is both. And so in Araveda medicine that there are absolutely seasons that we lean into if we're thinking about nutrition based on the season. Fall in winter are more warming and grounding foods, so roasted veggies, soups, stews, you know, turnips and carrots and potatoes and things like that. More warming spices like cinnamon or ginger, and tumoric you know, they help to stabilize our blood sugar. They also help to calm our stress hormones, and that in comparison with you know, spring and summer where we're eating more leafy greens and fresh fruits and berries and citrus and things like that. So you know, the heavier and more grounding foods allows us to be able to feel more grounded and have more sustainable warmth in our body too.
Speaker 2: So are you saying that our bodies have like a circadian rhythm themselves or I mean our stomach.
Speaker 11: Anyway, you know, I don't know that there's a huge change. Although you know, having some extra probiotics, just extra vitamin D can be really beneficial because we're not getting the sunlight that we normally do.
Speaker 8: So so you're.
Speaker 11: Looking at that and then as the season change and stuff too, because some people are really affected by season changes and pallens in the air and you know all of the all of the allergies that come out. But it's really like, how do we support our body in quote unquote flu and cold season. So D three plus K two omegas which help with brain and formone health, and really making sure we're getting plenty of sleep and hydration so that we can be able to keep the body balance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hydration going to be the big part of you think just the summer, but you know, you again maybe not sweat as much, but you still have to stay hydrated because you're inside the dry air leads to cold. Hydration is going to help a lot with that. I'm a supplement guy myself. I've been taking a vitemine since my mom made me take flintstones vitamins back in the day. I still love flintstones and vitamins, but you know, I've added vitamin D. I think vitamin D is a very underrated one, especially what we know about cancer. But what you mentioned is vitamin D is what you need when you don't see the sum as much.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, like seventy five eighty percent of the population is chronically deficient in vitamin D and it is, like you said, it's one of the most important cancer fighters. And then coupling that with magnesium K two helps to shuttle you know, the calcium into our bones more effectively and helps our bone density as well, and not to mention our immune system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course tryan to get a good night's sleep as well.
Speaker 2: It's always nice to you know, you know, it's cold out or whatever, snuggling out of the covers and having a good It seems to be easier to sleep in the winter just because of that in your mind for me anyway, than it does in the summer when it's hot.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think there's a little bit of inner bear in each one of us where we just want to hibernate, shurl in and s with you up. It's just like that in the winter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jen back in for Sanjay this morning on seven hundred WWE Scotsland Showtutal a little health and wellness this morning, at this time every Thursday morning, cheese jen at a complete health revolution and talking about Okay, now we've settled into the winter moss holidays, a roll over. The fun is over. People are trying to get back on the stick maybe diet, exercise, And now you're a couple of weeks into this whole thing, and well, now we've got more freezing weather and darkness coming.
Speaker 3: Do we need more sunlight as we age?
Speaker 11: I don't know that you need more, but we definitely need a lot of it, right, I mean, just mentally the more closed down we are. You know, there's a I've read a set of years ago and they were talking about the links between like having your blinds closed and its impact on depression. And you think about, you know, not having as much light during the day because our days are shorter in the winter time. But then the less that we're even exposed to that can impact our mental psyche and things like that too.
Speaker 8: So I think it's incredibly.
Speaker 11: Important at any age. But the lower we feel, the more sun we meet.
Speaker 2: No, that makes sense, and you try to get it at any way you can. Now if you're fortunate enough to go to get away in the winter for a little bit. Maybe you're a snowbird, or maybe you can go and do a week or two where it's sunny out. That's going to go a long way. How long does that do you know? How long that affects after? I mean, okay, you go on vacation, you feel good after vacation coming back towards cold, there's nothing worse, by the way, But how long that that vitamin D and all have that sunshine? I mean, how long does that benefit you after you get back to gray, dismal cold Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 11: I think it really depends on each individual person, Scott. And the reality is that most people don't actually get the benefit of the vitamin D when they go on vacation because we need the vitamin D to actually hit our skin unprotected for it to be converted into vitamin D. So if we're lathered up in sunscreen, we're not actually creating any of the vitamin D because it's being blocked by the sunblock.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 11: Reality is we actually need unprotected exposure and it's like twenty minutes a day. But the challenge is if you're above the Atlanta line at Georgia line.
Speaker 8: We don't get enough sun sun exposure.
Speaker 11: It's not strong enough interesting to really help us create the viemin D for majority of the year. I mean we're at least six months out of the year. It's not strong enough to be able to.
Speaker 8: Help us create what we need, gotcha.
Speaker 11: And then if we're using sunscreen on top of that, it's you know, we're.
Speaker 8: Kidding you, your lost.
Speaker 3: But there's also but the mental effect.
Speaker 2: It's like I could feel the sun on my faces. It maybe strain, but I feel it and I'm breathing it in and it's nice not to have a winter coat on.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: We're talking about, you know, things you can do to fight off sad seasonal effective disorder in some way, shape or form. We're all struck by it, some people far worse than others. You just kind of grind through it and tolerate it. But there's little cheats you have along the way here to help your body adjust to it, or at least simply tolerate a lot better than you have in the past.
Speaker 3: Sleep is a big one.
Speaker 2: But you know, I mentioned, you know what the kind of foods you're eating, the seasonal foods you're eating, but also a little exercise helps as well. Right, do you want to do that more in the winter in the morning or the evening.
Speaker 11: I would say in the morning, you're starting your day, You're getting your body going, and you might need to change it up a little bit.
Speaker 8: You're probably going to do.
Speaker 11: More indoor strength training in yoga and maybe treadmill in the gym and stuff like that. But if I grew up in Minnesota, so Minnesota, I'm used to going out in the wintertime, and that's one thing that I highly encourage because the sun exposure and getting outside in nature. We have such an energy shift when we are in nature than when we're inside. So even though you know we're still dealing with the time change and the shorter days and stuff like that, the more than we get outside, even if it's for a walk mid day, it helps with our mood, It helps with our endorsemence, it helps with our body, you know, really getting it going. So if possible, I would say, still exercise at some point during the day, even if it's ten minutes in the sunshine versus just working out like six am.
Speaker 8: In the dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I grew up in Silk Country too, and I'm just used to being out in it. Now as you get older, you're like, man, this is not as fun as easy to be when I was a kid. But I like, yo, shovel snow and that's a good workout. Yeah, if we get that kind of snow around here, hopefully not anytime soon, but we certainly will. And you know, at some point you will eventually see the sun. When Red's Basico ball comes back around gen then that starts to feel like summer again.
Speaker 3: And we do this all over but there's ways to get through it.
Speaker 2: So vitamins, supplements, exercise, get and sleep very least. You know, you don't have to be a gym rat in order to get exercise. So and you're like, well, like water, I can't go for a walk. It's icy and snowy outside. What can you do?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, and it's really I mean to your point, you don't have to be a gym rat just doing basic exercises. Just I think about functional fitness a lot. One of the exercises a lot of my clients love is what I call it get up. So you literally lay down in the ground, flat out, your legs out, your arms out, and you just get up and doing those exercises just about every motion and every muscle in your body, because you have to use yourself to propel yourself up. And if it takes you initially two minutes to get up because you need assistance, cool, it gets slow. Use assistance if you need to, you know, if you're older and have or have an injury.
Speaker 8: Or something like that.
Speaker 11: But just the act of engaging all of your muscles is incredibly powerful and it's something that anybody can do.
Speaker 8: We don't have to have.
Speaker 11: You know, gym equipment or a boat flex or you know whatnot, But it's how do we incorporate the little things, you know, doing some squats while you're sitting on the phone waiting for the phone to ring, or.
Speaker 8: Doing some counter push ups in the kitchen.
Speaker 11: You know, there's so many little ways that we can incorporate movement into our day without having to live at the gym or overhaul our entire life trying to figure out how to.
Speaker 8: Quote unquote get healthy.
Speaker 2: I see what you did. They're kind of went for like the trendy. The Turkish get up is what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: The trendy.
Speaker 2: Like if you're seeing people do it, it's a kettlebell exercise where you're lying on your back. You got a kettlebell, which is the round one. It looks like a cannon ball with a handle on it, and you're holding that over your head with one arm, and there's a specific sequence you form to get up off the floor and then reverse the pattern to get back down. It's like a full body kind of workout thing. So if you see freaks like Jen doing it, it's called a turkey shadow, is what it is.
Speaker 11: Yes, and it's also something and the guy with a client who literally couldn't get up and down off the floor by herself. She had to use the couch or she had to have somebody's hand to be able to help her up. But by doing a get up just body weight, she started gaining enough strength where she was able to improve her functionality and she was able to get up on her own.
Speaker 2: Never a while, it seems like such a silly exercise, but it's literally like very very bag. You think about it, like, wow, that's something everybody, especially as you get older. Now, maybe you don't do it with a twenty pound kettleball over your head, but just and you can break it up into small chunks too, but that's a very real life kind of exercise, right, you're actually doing You're doing something that you'll use, maybe not every day getting off the floor, but how many people you're older, like man, I can't get up off the floor without a crane and O Dot coming and putting cones around me. You'll be able to do that after a very short period of time, which was really really handy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and for me, I look at you know, I mean, I want to live to be ninety one hundred hundred and ten years old, but I want to be functional doing it. I don't want to just live that long sitting in a nursing home or sitting in a wheelchair. I want to be out, traveling and living life. And so the more functional we can make our movement and our fitness, and the more intention we have behind that, the longer and more longevity we're going to have in our life.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: Jen Beck at Complete Health Revolution, thanks so much for the time this morning on Scott Slone Show. Appreciate the good information. Winter is here. Thanks again, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thanks guys, I appreciate you. Here.
Speaker 2: She's in for our physician Sonjay SHEVACREMANI here, and I'm gonna talk health and fitness and stuff on Thursday mornings.
Speaker 3: But yeah, winter's back. Winter's here. Baby. We had that early hit.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, multiple inches of snow, and I was kind of warming. I was like sixty degrees. Couple, like last week, they're golfing and shorts. You're crying out, lou like it's Florida or something in January. And now it's starting to You're like, well, it's January again, so we're in for the grind, right.
Speaker 3: How do I think the holidays too? For most people? You know, you a little bit of snow and cold.
Speaker 2: Temperatures, and there's Christmas trees and you know, good drinks and food and your and there's revelry and the excitement of Christmas and the holidays and getting the other friends and family. Also taking some time off as most of us did. Most all of us did. And then the pattern says and okay, first week in New Year, can't wait to get back. Okay, I'm a little slow to by this time. By the middle of the month, that's when reality strikes, like, Okay, fund's over. I started some new things and came out of the blocks running and now it's starting to be a pattern and like, oh my gosh, now it really hits you, right, So hopefully some things in there to help you help you cope until we see the sun again. And by the way, I'll point out Reds baseball less than seventy days away, although I don't know how much we're anticipating it's baseball because last night it's inta a center. I saw this with Phil Castelini was announced of the crowd, a partnership between the university and our Red Legs, and he was speaking, but you really couldn't hear that much of it because the crowd was booing that loudly.
Speaker 3: Yeh, that's tough, tough times for Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Sports for sure, normally have anticipation the Reds being great and okay, get this, and I think just because that Kyle Schwarber thing, a lot of people are down. We'll see how it plays out. I mean, they got to the playoffs last year. Don't know what's going to push him over the top this year. We'll find out. Bengals, we've lost all hope there, that's done and over. No fun watching other teams play football and your team is I don't know where were they the boys. Burrow and the boys were in Vegas having a good old time. Fantastic.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Everyone else is focused on the playoffs. I know you see, and well Ex did win, so they both won. But not turning down when you look at hey, Miami, that's our team, Max basketball team.
Speaker 3: Great, they're rolling undefeated. Awesome. We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, it is winner to set in here, a lot to look forward to, but you just lean into it.
Speaker 3: I suppose the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: Let me get a time out in we got news on the way when we return on this Otsloan show. New rules in Kentucky. Three strikes and you're out for renters. I like this a lot simply because you know, generally people are landlords like myself are looked at as evil people. You know, the same people that I guess the folks in Minnesota elsewhere they would protest be angry at us because you own property. But anyway, the scales in a lot of areas have been tilted away from from landlords, and I Cincinnati feels that way at times too. Anyway, Jesse Brewers here, that gets some new three strikes in your outlaw. That's going to go in effect in that community, and we'll talk to him coming up after news. A quick update speaking of weather, we've got that traffic and more just ahead on seven hundred W All Thebody Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: My Scott Fold here on seven hundred W LW.
Speaker 2: So we've heard the story of the Angel Store, about renters, the landlords, and there's an effort to reduce repeat emergency calls to rental properties. And you know sometimes there are properties out there and people renting that are news, at least in Kentucky Common Sensus King because they're they're proposing a law which would address chronic nuisance occurrences at rental properties, a three strikes in your outlaw and on that is Boon County Commissioner Jesse Brewer working with State REPTJ. Roberts in Northern Kentucky for house spilled three three seven that would do justice. Jesse, welcome, how you been?
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm great, Thank you Thanks venting me on to Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, give me the details of though, First of all, why is this needed? How big a problem are the nuisance tenants in Northern Kentucky and Boone County.
Speaker 12: So well, it's not just Boone County. It's everywhere.
Speaker 5: This is it.
Speaker 12: It's any area where you have rental property. What if you get someone that's excessively abusing public services, you know there is this is for the person that plays for Radio two loud all the time, or maybe partaking in some substances they shouldn't partake in. The neighbors smell it and complain or whatever the case may be, what they call neighbor.
Speaker 6: Someone calls nine.
Speaker 12: To one one. The police have to go out there. The parent I think have to go out there for whatever reason. And also not it's taking away from their job of what they should be doing, you know, because they have to respond no matter what, because what if it's that one time there is really a problem, right, so they got to respond. Well after they do this so many times the cities in County two, they can tell the property owner, hey, we got a problem here at this property.
Speaker 5: We've been here x y z times.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: I had a tenant in a building in the city in Kenton County and I think the police were there eighteen times in a thirty day span because he would just went and put playing a stereo allowed and then they were kept calling, and so the city came to me and said, hey, you gotta do something about this or you're going to start finding you. Well, under current law, if a tenant's paying their rent, you can't just give them a seven day nose to vacate for non payment rent. I know Ohio is three day, but in Kentucky at seven you can't just give them a seven day nine post non payment notice. You gotta file thirty day eviction notice. You gotta file thirty day notice of vacate right then you can of victim. So they'll give me in there, fornuncio two to three months. Well, what House No. Three thirty seven will do is it will allow us to shorten that length and that notice period, shorten that up, allowing to get them out quicker. The NW sense, which is for less of Australia on public services. The property owner can then maybe get a tenant in there that's a good community member, lower their costs, you know, because you got a person that's doing this things tearing the place up. Lower my cost I lower my operating costs, I lower my housing costs.
Speaker 6: Housing gets cheaper.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, that makes sense.
Speaker 9: Let me Jesse.
Speaker 2: Let me play devil's advocate for just a second. I like being the devil's advocate here. This happened in Ohio years ago when we had when gun crimes were starting to I guess, become more of an issue than they are now. Seems kind of quaint to think that wasn't a case. But they decided, Hey, we're gonna sue gun man if we're going to have their gun manufactured, then the defense will well, you know what, why are you soon as well? Because of the cost police fire, emergency responders and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a fall of the gun. What aboutpening?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: No, that's why police fire and MS exists is in order to do that, you can't sue someone for doing their job in that case. Does that apply here in that Yeah, it might be a nuisance and it's training resources. But police fire and MS exists to respond in this case nuisance tentence. Police exists to respond to things like that as part of their job description.
Speaker 3: Is that an affirmatile defense?
Speaker 12: It could be, but then they're going to look to you as a property owner because they have ordinances on our folks that.
Speaker 6: Says you have a problem.
Speaker 12: Ten here that's creating and creating us to be called come here too much, stucking up too much resources, and we're going to start charging you for these trips. Or you've got a problem here with this tenant because the resident that you're responsible for because we are here too much, got it because it's there. So it's I feel what you're saying on that. But with the ordinate and laws are in the books, we are kind of forced as property as to do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because.
Speaker 2: Then I could I could turn that around and go, okay, well, if I got to make if we're making multiple runs to the same place over and over and over again, could that not apply to I don't know, a sports stadium, Could that und apply to a university?
Speaker 3: Could that not apply Let's say to a nursing.
Speaker 2: Home where you you know again, whether it's police fire, mss. Okay, there's a nursing home here where I live, and in every other day there's a squad out front, largely because the people inside are the age where they're passing away or suffering the debilitating or stressing medical emergencies as comes with old age. But no one would agree that, hey, you know what, we should target a nursing home because of all the response calls we have there because they're abusing the system.
Speaker 12: Correct, and that's where the abuse is the system going to come in as a specific person. If you have a nursing home, large department store, you're getting calls as different people, different issues, or they're legitimate medical burgencies. And again, this doesn't get triggered unless the city or the municipality cite the property.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So, and they're not going to do that unless it's a legitimate abusive resource. If that's the legitimarieson be there, they're not gonna that. Those triggers wouldn't happen.
Speaker 3: Got it, got it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And in Cincinnati, I don't know if it's changed since or not. I don't own proper in Cincinnati, but for a while they were talking, Hey, you know what, if you've got a you know, a tenant that's a problem. After a couple occurrences, we're going to start finding the landlord. I go, wait a minute, now, if I've got a grown ass adult living in one of my units, am I responsible to drive by several times a day to make sure that individuals not playing their music loud or smoking weed in the yard or doing it, and of course not that that's on them, not that's not the landlord.
Speaker 12: I don't disagree with you at all, and but they look at you as their screen responsible person to.
Speaker 5: Put them in there.
Speaker 12: Mike Kennard has been well, if they owned their own house, so you start signing fighting, Yeah exactly said the police said, yeah we will.
Speaker 6: There's orgousness for that. I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: To say that, because the people who are responsible we won't hold accountable. We'll account the typical in America, the people who are responsible accountable, We're gonna hold them responsible as opposed to the people are even though they're all adults. I could see it doing for a kid, but these are grown adults correct.
Speaker 12: And a lot of times when the first responders in the cities don't necessarily understand how landlord tenant law works, and they're like, get this person out of here, let's do process. I gotta give them a thirty day notice, I gotta wait for this, I gotta you know those hoops I gotta jump through and they don't understand that or grasp that, and they get frustrated with you. So ideally this would allow us to identify the problem that apple is a few and speed up that time to save resources, preserve property. You know, if I got a tenant that's just junking up the yard and jumping dunk junk cars in the yard, doing this and doing that, I gotta let them sit there and continue to damage the property for an extra month under the current wall.
Speaker 6: Assuming that rents.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this way I can get get the street the problem, lower my cost, get a better to in there, make the neighbors happy, make the police have apartment, fire department happy, code enforcement happy, and everyone wins and.
Speaker 3: It's good for the neighbor's DA.
Speaker 2: If you you know the other thing Jesse Brewer by theay Boone County Commissioner on this three strikes you're out law that's being proposed in Kentucky, meaning that if police have multiple calls, we'll get the details of that. A second multiple calls to a rental property, you can, as a landlord evict that person that holds them accountable for their actions. Because the way in cincinnatalis it was is all right, we're going to go after the landlord. If it's a new sentenant, Okay, well can I victim Oh no, no, no, no, No, that's that's damn near impossible to kick these people out because you know you got to go a course the whole probable. Wait a minute, hold on just a second. Here, this is Jesse. I like you because your common sense kind of guy like me. This is just damn common sense. Get into the details exactly. Yeah, get in the details of what the triggers for this eviction would be.
Speaker 12: So first of all, it starts with if people just do what they're supposed to do and be normal human beings, you don't have anything to worry about. Right If people just do the right thing and not be an a hole, uh, you know, then you wouldn't have any issues. But this is designed for you know, you got someone that's likes to put off a bunch of crap in the yard of the property and make it unsafe. They're putting cars or putting refrigerators or whatever they want to do. I had this happen to me, Well, City pych you as they rightfully should.
Speaker 5: I get that.
Speaker 12: Okay, they're gonna side. If you can't do this, we've got to ordinate fi get this. You know, after about three or four of those you like for one, you always find a stack up, and now they're like, get this person out of here. You know, we keep coming over here to deal the decisions. This person needs to go. Well, they pay their rent, so I got to go file a third day notice to vacate on them, and then I can file an addiction after that if they stay, and that's another thirty days.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, you're still dealing with the same issues and the frustrations reap or you get another person that you know they like to play the stereo a little too loud and the neighbors are constantly calling the police. Well, if they show about three or four or five times within a certain times, man, they will send you a love note that says we're gonna start finding you. Mister property owner. You need to get your tenant community orders rules in line. So's there's some layers that have to happen here. You know, you have to have an excessive repeat offender that that that has unfounded you know, culture service. Then the city would have to cite you or or then the city would say okay, this is the problem. They give you the notice, then you can do the three day notice of vacate. As this law of proposed gotcha and shave a month off, the shave a month off the process.
Speaker 2: So you have to have what three three strikes in a would you say, six month period.
Speaker 12: That's the current that's how it is currently written, but it's a lot of stuff fall discretionary to when the city is also cite the landlords. There's still gonna be some bugs to work out here. I think the three months has three, three and six months. But the city doesn't cite you or the county doesn't fit you, then there there's no trigger there. They have to be the one to take the step aside.
Speaker 2: You well, what about an element of discrimination here in a sense that because I'm just trying to think of how how one may counter this argument in poke holes in it and I'll help the law become better. Let's say, for example, Uh, there's some bad neighbors and they don't like the person living there because they're young, they're old, they're white, they're black, they are I don't know, gay, straight, whatever it might be, and like the neighbors like, well, you know, or are they you know? I've seen this one before too, believe in on political affiliations, we don't want this person the neighbor, you do that how do we know that those are legitimate calls for service and complaints as opposed to someone just trying to run someone off of property.
Speaker 12: And that's a good point that's too to be worked out. I believe the spirit of the law would be they are the problem, not someone calling on them for something that they can't control, like one of those types of things. Okay, you know you still have they everyone still has a First Amendment right. They're still a right, you know, freedom of speech and see whatever of religion, political affiliation they want. And if they're you know, spare housing has a lot of protections there, and someone's calling for one of those honored reasons and the city gets there said, well, this is don't really.
Speaker 6: Have found a complaint.
Speaker 12: They can't go back on you and make you violate fare housing to move someone out because of the coloror skin or they're realizing or familys des because and everything life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you cand always find a neighbor doing something you disagree with, but calling the place, some people do that. They're vindictive, they got nothing better to do. I've seen it happen. I'm sure you've seen it happen with with sentence as well. And whatever the issue is, it shouldn't cause you to lose where you live because it's the it's the other person's problem, not yours.
Speaker 12: And that's would be where they have to have a valid nuisance violation, not something that's what you suggested.
Speaker 6: What would they that's something of it.
Speaker 3: Jesse Burr. Would domestic violence calls be excluded from this?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 12: I hope so, And that's something I would hope so because that's a safety issue, right, I would definitely hope that you would have domestic violence issues be screened on that. And that's a tricky one because you don't want anyone to be in an unstage situation.
Speaker 6: So I believe that's.
Speaker 12: What would be need to be excluded from that as a domestic violence called absolutely.
Speaker 2: Got you comissioned a Jesseie Brewer on the Scotserland Show seven hundred w but his hospital three thirty seventies helping craft. That would create a three strikes and out rule for chronic nuisance tenants. So if you get three service calls within a six months peer in the granted, those have to be verified and this person has to you know, you get eighteen noise complaints. As you said, you should get run off and it gives three days notice for a landlord to evict you. If you are one of those people who are using a lot of the resources. You mentioned this about saving money and allocate proper allocation resources. Uh, there's overtime costs, there's equipment where how how big a problem is this really? How many nuisance tenants are there?
Speaker 3: Is it? Is it a huge problem?
Speaker 12: Are the Kentucky it's enough to where we're talking about it, right, it's one of it's one of those issues. Is it Is it detrimental to the business?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 12: Uh, but this would just forment a problem. Yes, it does a problem. It's not that we have a lot of these problems, but when you have one, it's a big problem or could be a big problem and very falsely problem for the cities to dispatch services for the property or and everything else. So you know, if I have one hundred tenants, you know, this might be one or two of them. But when you start multiplying, now you know across all the rental proper and everything else, and compounding it, and you know, you know you have ten thousand pieces of rental property nation of city. There's a lot of services on a police department, fire department to be wasted.
Speaker 2: Not much of a deal at the Northern Kentucky University or Mount Sahel, But what about UK Louisville, big universities where you have a large number of young people like to have fun and be allowed at all hours of the night. What about UK Louisville and schools like that relative to off campus.
Speaker 12: Housing, well, kus, it could be a little different. So I get it's gonna have to be the triggering of the calls from the police to the landlord. But a lot of those cities already have ordinances in place, and what they're going to do is they still if you have a problem, they still are going to make you get rid of them. This isn't like there's still if I have a nuisance problem today right now on the current wall, I'm still getting the love brands from the city with a citation threats or citation thing deal with this. So it just takes me thirty days to get them out, and then I know, thirty days. Interesting in theory, if I can get them out faster, this could be an enticement for people to behave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, could very well be. Again, there's a lot. There's some perils in here that have to be addressed. So I'd imagine it's could take a bit of time to get through the legislature, and.
Speaker 12: It may not get through this year. A lot of times, the legislation like this comes up and gets introduced for a year, they talked about it, this tweak it among all the other legislations that they do, and it might come back next year looking a little different. But the conversation starts the committee meeting here. You can start on any legislation that you got to get it introduced. You got to get it going, and then you've got to get input from the other stakeholders and groups and address it. It might take two or three sessions to get something.
Speaker 3: Push now, No, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Kentucky is the.
Speaker 12: Kentucky is the budget year by annual get sucking. We do the budget every other year for two years, so it's our bi annual budget year. So there's a lot of high priorities in Kentucky right now. You know, I know there's they got a lot of like the grooming bill that Marian that's a good one he's got filed, right So there's a lot of other joh say higher priorities for legislators, rightfully, so we've got so much time, so this one might make it heard and talked about. Isn't really brought and center. It's a niche it's a niche issue. It's a niche industry problem for police, fire and cities. So but it could get talked about, expand upon and move along the typewine. Sure, but there's certain priorities. There's only so much time to day for these legislators that's to address issues, and they'll get to it and they can get to it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jesse brew Boone County Commission. Always a pleasure having you on and something to think about, for sure. I think it's interesting. I want to follow this one, uh and see if we can do this in Ohio because it makes sense. I think you can't force someone to be a good neighbor, but the law should be able to help you this one. It's good for the neighborhood. It's you think anyway. Jesse, all the best, thanks for jumping in.
Speaker 12: Thanks appreciate funning.
Speaker 2: Have a good one, Yeah you too, be well. We'll get a news update in wheather'sday concerned. We'll find the latest there and therefore, maybe some traffic at two and news headlines what's going on in Minnesota and elsewhere? And when we return on the Scotslan Show, Oh boy, we got issues in the Sloan household. Whether you hear you think you got problems in your house? Well you hear my wife? That's next seven hundred w other.
Speaker 3: The bells? Do you hear the bells? It could only mean one thing.
Speaker 7: It's real estate time with Michelle Sloan, Remax time agent and proud proprietor of Sloan Sellshomes dot Com. Heed her words or face her wrath on seven hundred wl WI.
Speaker 3: All right, my.
Speaker 2: Wife is here recuperating from her second knee search. How many more knees do you need to get done? This is starting to cut into my time.
Speaker 8: I think it's the final knee replace.
Speaker 3: That I need to get that three of four it.
Speaker 8: But I'm wondering where you are because I need it new ice. I'd like a cup of tea. I would like you to turn the fireplace on because it's cold. And Bandit is doing fine. He's snapping right here next to me, and he is.
Speaker 3: Not you the dog, the dog, not you the dog.
Speaker 8: He's not going to run away because he loves his mama.
Speaker 2: There's no way. So he misses. My wife said, knee surgery. Uh second name by both names. And so you know, granted I've had a couple of surgeries myself, and you've been there. There's no way, though, there's no way in hell that I have been this difficult a patient as you are with me.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to go on record of saying.
Speaker 8: That, oh please, very demanding.
Speaker 2: Very demanding. I'm up this morning at five o'clock. I get early, get up right, and I got to take the dog out, because you know you can't do that, s all right. I take him and he doesn't want to go for a walkie. I get the leash. He buries himself back under the covers, does not want to move. I got to drag him off the bed like an otter down a hill and take him outside. It's thirty degrees blows here, it's snowing outside, it's cold. I get out, walk start walking, and he sees something in the dark that I didn't see, and he takes off. The only problem was in the darkness and such when I attached the leash, I must have attached it to the ring that has the tags the dog tags on as opposed to the one that's actually on the collar. Well, of course that gives way and breaks, and he's gone. He's I mean, he is just vanished. And now I'm out there. It's cold. I'm like, oh my god. So I'm walking like ten minutes. I call you and say, the dog got away. I don't know where he is. He saw something, a deer. He's down the street. So I'm walking around looking for the stupid dog, freezing my you know what's off? And uh, get back the house. I'm like, well, I gotta go to work. I gotta leave. I'm late already. And eventually he just.
Speaker 8: Dog out in the wild.
Speaker 2: He'll come back. What do you want me to do? What am I gonna do? Go house to house with a search? Warn what am I one of my ice?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He just start kicking doors and looking for this dog.
Speaker 8: Anyway to work? If I can't, I can't. I can't walk on my own house.
Speaker 6: I know him.
Speaker 2: I know you can't, but the dog is you have to find his way back and scratch it. So eventually he did find his way back, and he was crying to the back because I went to the house and a couple of minutes later he's like, well done, it's cold over here. So I let him back in crisis averted. I just hope you he'll say, sooner than later. Let's put it that way, sooner than later. Yeah, I'm getting eyes.
Speaker 8: Honey, honey, honey. It's not even been a week.
Speaker 3: It feels like a month.
Speaker 8: So I had well, that's because six weeks seven weeks ago, I had knee number one done, and then six days ago I had knee number two done. So we know, like, and you went and left me and went off to work, you know, because they need you there apparently, and I need you to be my nurse or find another hunky man to come get me.
Speaker 6: My seat into my tee.
Speaker 3: Can I have some water and bring it back? Can I have ice?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hold on, let me get ice. I'm going to need a straw. Okay, Hey, do you have a different container for the alright?
Speaker 8: No, all right, you have zero patience for this job.
Speaker 3: I think I've been doing that's not fair. I think I've been doing quite well.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, you it's you've been fine, but fine. You need to work on your what's it called the skills? The skills. Your best side manner is to be desired.
Speaker 2: I've been biting my tongue pretty well because there's a pattern here where it's like, do you need I know? Do you I'd love doing it because you were there for me. That's part of the partnership of a strong marriage. But at the same time, it's like, Okay, do you need anything, No, I'm good, I'll sit down, getting going. Hey can you get me all right? Hold on, go get it? Okay, good, sit back down.
Speaker 3: Hey do you need anything now? No, I'm good, Hey can you bring it?
Speaker 8: Well? I don't need it. It's something when you asked me and then I might need something. It's just part of it, part.
Speaker 3: Of part of the fun of growing old.
Speaker 8: Together so much.
Speaker 3: You got any real estate, So what do you do in real estate?
Speaker 6: Wise?
Speaker 3: You're sitting on your asstate.
Speaker 8: Okay, so I have time on my hand.
Speaker 2: I know that, and that's what's compounding the issue. Anyway, I'm bored.
Speaker 8: Out of my skull, but I have now I have one hundred facts about Greenland. Do you want to know about it? Because wait, what our president you're doing?
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be about well us complaining about each other but also also real estate.
Speaker 3: What does this guy do with real estate?
Speaker 8: It's everything to do with real estate. Because if you're going to spend seven hundred billion dollars to buy the largest island on earth? Did you know that Greenland is the largest land mass, largest island on Earth. It has some ulatural resources, rare minerals and oil potential and fisheries, so it's got a lot of nice fresh sift. It seems a little cold in Greenland. I must admits I have I have some time on my hands, so I thought it would be fun to do a breakdown on you know, if you were to buy this island of Greenland for seven hundred billion dollars, I feel like that's kind of a pretty good deal right now. So you know, if you're in the market to buy Greenland, you should call me because that commission.
Speaker 2: Is going to be just what I mean, after you sell this thing, how many signs are going to be in my garage?
Speaker 8: I will need a few signs. I'm going to have to do it. You know, you have to invest in order to make money.
Speaker 3: So big breakdown.
Speaker 8: So apparently it's not like a typical mortgage when you do the seven hundred billion dollars. You know you buy something for that much. It's something called sovereign debt. I don't really know what that means.
Speaker 2: Well, your first talk, extensive sovereign debt basically is us borrowing more money we can't afford to borrow. That's what sovereign debt is. Secondly, yeah, I don't think. I don't think you do installment payments for this thing I down or.
Speaker 8: Well yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess those details. Seriously, I have the information.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, very important? Is this you? Is this real life orsus the meds talking?
Speaker 8: Well, it might be a little high, but that's okay. I feel pretty good right now, Jah payment twenty percent down payment on a seven hundred billion dollars is what?
Speaker 3: How much down is?
Speaker 8: One hundred and billion dollars? That's all?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: Nothing your loan amount so eighty percent your loan amounts isn't going to be five hundred and sixty billion dollars over the term of fifty years. Now, in my assumptions, I'm only a sum of a rate a mortgagrade of five percent. Six That seems really low, but let's just go with it, Okay, Now, what's.
Speaker 2: Your what's your monthly payment? Just give me the bottle of what monthly want?
Speaker 8: Okay, two point seven two billion dollars a month a month. But then you have the debt service and you know annually you're paying thirty two point six billions. So really you end up like a lot of properties, the Devil's and the details, because you're going to be spending a heck of a lot more than seven hundred billion for this property, because once you factor in the interest and the compounding, you're spending a really lot of money on this property.
Speaker 9: Well do you?
Speaker 8: But that's okay because Greenland is a beautiful place. I've seen pictures on the TV. No it isn't it's a beautiful place.
Speaker 2: No, Iceland is the one you want. Greenland is the one you don't want.
Speaker 8: No, Greenland is fine, green Onom is fine.
Speaker 2: People can listen. You're in centinnt he high right you complain. Look at the weather right now, people, Oh my god, it's so cold and it's so cold as snow. When it's a little bit of snow green and a lot of snow.
Speaker 8: It's pretty cold. Yeah, you'll get used to it though. Your body acclimates to that kind of weather.
Speaker 3: No, they don't. Do you know who lives in Greenland?
Speaker 8: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Do you know the population of Greenland, the biggest island in the world. Correct?
Speaker 5: Do you know the.
Speaker 8: Population fifty thousand or something?
Speaker 2: Fifty seven thousand people, which is like the size of a suburb in Cincinnati. Oh, over that vast expanse and they're all ino wits.
Speaker 8: It's fine, okay, So we do have to worry about the operating cost. So on top of our seven hundred billion, we have operating costs of about twenty one billion a year. When you talk about infrastructure, healthcare, government, defense, No, this is.
Speaker 3: As is, This is as is now?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, what you're gonna have it's just like you're gonna have to pay the electric bill.
Speaker 3: This isn't a house. It's what do you do? Do you do you? How do you do an inspection?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know. We're gonna have to go house to house. It's going to take a while. You know, it'll be fine the inspection. I know, people, there's a crack over here.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't like the way this boulder inspecting a country.
Speaker 3: What is wrong with you?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 8: No, no, but here's the thing. There's some revenue to be made there.
Speaker 2: Can you buy a home? Can you buy a wouldn't be a homework. Can you be a country warranty.
Speaker 3: On this thing?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 2: If the furnace breaks, you pay I don't know, two hundred dollars deductible.
Speaker 3: That can fix it.
Speaker 8: I don't know. But you know they have fisheries there, yeah, and they have mining and I bet there's some really pretty rocks there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're good on rocks. We have a grand canyon full of them. We're good.
Speaker 8: But what about tourism. They're going to have to increase.
Speaker 3: I don't think you can go there now.
Speaker 8: Out there, I don't think there's any real hotels there. You might have to just get an airbnb and something. How much?
Speaker 3: How long to recoup our costs?
Speaker 2: Because it's an investment, right, this is the and you know, as you know, buying Greenland would be the most the biggest investment we have.
Speaker 13: Okay, so we think investment, but it's not it's not, as you know, it's not as big as you know the payoffs that we did to like during COVID, when everybody got like five dollars or something or.
Speaker 2: The two grand allegend we're going to get I don't know about that. So they've got okay, but all right, you've got fishing and tourism. But we it's not like we don't have a shortage of fish. Now we get the fish from Greenland.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I know this isn't it just better to rent, better.
Speaker 8: To own than rent. It's always better to own than rent, and always better to use the I think I think, really, I think there really are no no, no, it's good. Apparently though the investment, we're going to lose about fifty billion a year you're on this investment. It's how you just told me.
Speaker 3: A second ago.
Speaker 2: You said, well, you know, you spend money, make money, But how are we losing money then?
Speaker 8: Because the cost of owning it and the amount of interest that we're paying. You know, it's the problem.
Speaker 2: It's like we've got a what thirty eight thirty nine trillion dollar debt, so you know, what's another couple of percentage points is what you're saying. But that's how we got this problem in the first place.
Speaker 8: But seven hundred billion is only if you look at our debt that we have right now that just like every second every minute. It's only about one point one and a half percentage were buying green One.
Speaker 3: This is unreal.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be the dumbest segment we've ever done.
Speaker 3: This is so stupid. It should be at one thirty and two thirty in the afternoon.
Speaker 8: No, no, this is good stuff. This is very important. People need to know.
Speaker 3: That we're buying Greenland. That was How big a sign would you have to have?
Speaker 11: That?
Speaker 3: Says Michelle Sloane. How big is sign do you need to.
Speaker 8: I need something in space? So I might need like a satellite, So let's add that to the price.
Speaker 2: Well, you're high right now, so satellite would be you could just reach over.
Speaker 8: No, maybe some drones. How about a drone show with my name and life?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could be drowning right now.
Speaker 2: I don't all right, So if you want to buy what a mess?
Speaker 8: You need to come home now.
Speaker 2: Believe me, Believe me. I cannot wait to not get home my wife. Michelle Sloane. Uh Sloan sells homes dot com open house show, remaxed time in Manville. And I don't know if I don't know if this is a good endorsement for your abilities right now?
Speaker 3: The way you're rambling.
Speaker 8: Fine, it's totally fine. Everybody thinks this is funny.
Speaker 2: She's on drugs, folks, because she orne done. And I don't know why we're talking about buying making a case for buying Greenland here.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure something I have to say though. This is just hypothetical, this is real life.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, the worry is okay, national security worried about Russia or China taking it over?
Speaker 3: How about this?
Speaker 2: Why don't we wait and see if China or Russia, which by the way, has a lot of cold air siber pretty good.
Speaker 3: We got Siberia. I don't think we need.
Speaker 2: Another frozen rock out there. If they get close to like threatening to take over, then we move in. That's kind of what NATO does. So I don't know the whole thing. I fit well, you know, if Russia gets ahold of this, Russia really talk with Ukraine, they are they really talking about Greenland? Is that is that in the top ten for putin or g with the China?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'd rather just kind of wait and see how it plays out. I'm pretty sure Greenland's gonna be okay.
Speaker 8: You know that and they really don't want us there.
Speaker 3: I mean, if we wanted to, they.
Speaker 8: Said that, they said that they're not for.
Speaker 3: Sale fifty six thou wits. I mean, you know it's not good.
Speaker 8: Be that hardest, Like it's like the farmland that you know, they're really not interested in selling unless you bring them seven hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think dan Mark is really going to be that. What are they going to stand up to us?
Speaker 2: This is like I don't know, there's like the Germans roll into France in World War two, right, it was pretty easy.
Speaker 8: Well there, I don't think you have much of a defense there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't think so either. I mean, if we wanted, we could take it.
Speaker 8: But I don't have solar bears and stuff. I haven't really researched the types.
Speaker 2: Of the I got an idea, Michelle, why do you get off the phone with me and call the White House?
Speaker 3: Why don't you.
Speaker 2: Try and just call the switchboard at sixteen Ounred Pennsylvania Avenue, say I want to talk to Trump. I got an idea. I got he needs a real estate agent, is what he needs? Licensed in Greenland?
Speaker 3: Right now, you are.
Speaker 8: Probably update my license because I'm.
Speaker 2: Only like, based on the met's talking right now, I'm pretty sure you're also able to sell real estate on Jupiter anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, I love you. I'll see you probably sometime next week. I gotta go.
Speaker 8: You need to come home right away? Yeah, I uh, I have need.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to Greenland. Let me go scope it out for you. I'll be I'll be back in a couple of weeks. My wife Michelle Sloan on The Men this morning. Here, I don't know what just happened, but it just did. Willie's on the way next seven hundred WWT sincenat