Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Good bals.
Speaker 3: We're talking about twenty five year old balsamic vinegar. I mean, you know this stuff is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you like them like you like your new wives, the peach flavored glade and viscus.
Speaker 5: And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: And Jack. Good morning everybody. Bill Handle here. It is a momentous Monday, October thirteen.
Speaker 3: All living hostages in Gaza, Israel hostages have been returned and now they're awaiting.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the remains.
Speaker 3: Of I think twenty eight who died or were killed, probably were killed. And of course Hamas decides not only is it hold living hostages, it also holds dead hostages, knowing that the family members need closure and it doesn't matter anyway. Celebrations breaking out both in Gaza and Israel.
Speaker 2: And I think, I guess in.
Speaker 3: A positive sense that no one Hamas is not screaming we've won the war. We've won the war, which they always do. And Israel, for the most part, there is some talk about winning the war in Netanyahu said a couple of things, but for the most part, the celebration is the return of the hostages on the Israeli side and the return of the Palestinian prisoners.
Speaker 2: That is real as holding over to Gaza.
Speaker 3: Okay, quick, healoa one and all because we were.
Speaker 2: Talking a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: And of course our president in a speech to the Knesset out did himself with about forty minutes of an I great, Aren't I terrific? Couldn't have a better president. Joe Biden was the worst president in the world. Obama was almost as bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, just.
Speaker 3: You know, you got a victory lap going here, you know, just take it, just take it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You know we're done. Uh you're giving.
Speaker 3: All the credit for it, as you should. But come on, give me a break, all right. Uh let's let me let me say here, we're there. Let me see on this Will will coach river Will is back. Good morning, Bill, Good morning it. Oh my god, it was awesome, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Where'd you go?
Speaker 3: It's the best place? Where'd you go? Uh? Sienna bronh and ah, that yeah, wonderful place. Tuscany is magic. Venice is crowded beyond belief. Although it wasn't too bad.
Speaker 5: It wasn't bad Rome of course was off the chart with you, and Rome was and the graffiti and Rome and the crime is just yeah, it's they've taken an interest and wonderful city and has gone yet not didn't go well anyway, So welcome.
Speaker 3: Back, thank you, and it was it was all good. It was all good good. I love Italian's. I really you notice that how few of them actually have pimples and zits?
Speaker 2: You know that you look?
Speaker 3: Do you notice that they right now? You know? You know, because they tend to slide off? Okay, I'm not no, good morning, Neil.
Speaker 4: I am fascinated how that tiny little braining yours works, like I have no idea what's going to come out of it?
Speaker 1: None?
Speaker 3: Huh yep, yeah, that was. That was an Italian joke for sure. You can look it up. You're looking at me seeing how it connects. I know. I not get it.
Speaker 2: No, oh, okay, I get your humor. Okay, if you want to call it humor.
Speaker 1: That's not a plus. Kno, all right, No.
Speaker 2: We've started in the morning, anyway, will welcome back? Kno? Is there, Neil?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 2: Is there Amy wearing the Dodgers jersey.
Speaker 6: It's just a sweatshirt today.
Speaker 3: I'm always a sweatshirt. Yes.
Speaker 7: All these playoffs are making me realize how many different Dodgers outfits I have.
Speaker 3: Uh, I didn't pay attention if the Dodgers already started. Uh.
Speaker 7: The championship game, one of the championship series is this afternoon in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: All right, so you're not going there and you don't have tickets, but you do have tickets to some of the championship games.
Speaker 6: Correct, Yes, we have tickets to Thursday's game.
Speaker 3: So you're definitely gonna see a game, come hell or high water.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and we got to see we got to see the clincher on on front Thursday.
Speaker 3: The giveaway to take away the win. Okay, fair enough, and good morning, Good morning. I noticed you are not wearing any Dodger garb.
Speaker 6: By the way, Amy, nice flax.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. There's just so many playoff games.
Speaker 6: I just have to hear, so many Dodger things I have to find to wear.
Speaker 7: So I'm like, oh god, and you have joined as many you know, but I don't get as two games.
Speaker 3: I'm done. Yeah, if Padres actually played a decent don't think I'm wearing We'll be talking a lot about actually real quickly before we go on and start the news, which needs to say, we have tons of it. Quick word about Saturday night where we had that Zelman's Taste test at the Anaheim White House that we were giving Zelman's.
Speaker 2: A test does it really work?
Speaker 3: And the meal that was curated by Chef Bruno and Silvano was so garlic laden. It was garlic everything garlic.
Speaker 1: The assignment and it was.
Speaker 4: It's actually one of the best meals of It was so wonderfully thought out and executed down to the caramelized onions in the dessert, so there was onions and garlic in everything, and it was And the garlic bread is the best I've ever had yet. It almost burned your mouth that had it did it.
Speaker 2: Was a lot of it.
Speaker 3: And the shrimp scampy which is one of their so much tradiisunt beyond belief. Anyway, thank you to Anaheim White House.
Speaker 2: And we ran.
Speaker 3: Across a lot of people that were there just to say hello, knew that we were there, that were not part of our group.
Speaker 1: They didn't win, so they just showed up.
Speaker 3: They just showed up at eight. I love it, which, yeah, that was so nice. The Bruno loved that one too, So anyway, it's thank you Zelman's. Thank you for Anaheim White House, both phenomenal produce and restaurant. And we're gonna do that again at some point, only because the food is so spectacular and I don't have to pay for it, and that's the important thing.
Speaker 1: You're weird.
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 3: I am cheap.
Speaker 4: We had these giveaways for them, these little garlic presses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, where'd I put mine? Where'd I put it? It's a give Why did you have to have one?
Speaker 3: Because it's free.
Speaker 1: Seotypes?
Speaker 2: But yeah, why of course it is.
Speaker 3: And Neil had these these and of course Zelman's gave aways a lot, a fair amount of product and it was all good. Okay, enough of that. There's Neil again making fun of me, and yeah, but it's just weird.
Speaker 1: And I made them.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, you could just ask me for one. I'll get you. I'll make a custom one just for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'll have two of them. I'll take it. Okay.
Speaker 3: It is time for handle on the news on this Monday morning, October thirteen. Lead Storry.
Speaker 8: All right, well, right this moment the president is our president is about to leave Tel Aviv and fly to Cairo, or the peace summit, of which twenty world leaders are going to.
Speaker 3: Come celebrating the ceasefire and the breakout of peace between Israel and Camas, of which the president, President Trump is rightly being given a tremendous amount of credit. There's no question that without President Trump this would not have happened.
Speaker 1: And what he's so gracious about him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he certainly is spent forty minutes in front of the Canasset talking about how great he is, how horrible Obama and Joe Biden were the worst president in the history of the United States.
Speaker 1: How I would I have to do with any of it?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, And how he has made all the decisions, and he decides which weapons go where, and he gave him Israel, which Israel knew what to do with him, and just you know, at some point, at what point do you snap victory out of the jaws, the feet out of the jaws of victory. I just he just goes on and on, and I mean, come on, guy, you got the win.
Speaker 4: You got the win, and deservedly so there's probably nothing more that you could do as a president of the United States or a head of state that makes that. You could go, wow, this was life changing for people. And then he kind of poops on it.
Speaker 2: It's like why just.
Speaker 4: Takes take the w it is so it's huge, It really is huge.
Speaker 1: Just came home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's incredible and it is. I mean it is an amazing feat of which. Does he deserve the Nobel Peace Price for this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think he does actually for putting the together.
Speaker 3: So now you've got Nittanyahu a few minutes up on in front of the Knesset talking about how great the president is. You have to because Trump loves to hear that and has to hear it, and all the all President Trump to do is stand up and just say thank you very much and then sit down.
Speaker 2: That would have been the greatest speech.
Speaker 1: Give the glory to the families that are reuniting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh he did.
Speaker 3: He talked about that, and he talked about Jared Kushner and Ivonka, his daughter converting to Judaism, and do all kinds of stories about Steve Witkoff, personal stories and just humorous anecdotes and.
Speaker 4: Basically talking about all the Jews he knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of my best friends are Jews.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh crazy, Aaron Trump Aviv.
Speaker 2: Yeah nice.
Speaker 3: In any case, all right, quick timeline hostages have been released. President as of right this moment is boarding Air Force one after speaking to the Knesse, and he is on his way to Cairo. And it's an hour flight by the way, Cairo to Tel Aviv or Tel Aviv to Cairo. It's almost exactly an hour. It's La San Francisco. And then he arrives. Netting Yahu will not be there, and we're hearing all kinds of reasons Jewish holiday.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I buy that he Mahmud Abbass will be there. And Netiahu does not want to be seen in the same room on the same by a dayas as Machunda Bass because he has said Nata Yahu is official position of Israel. The Palestinian authority is going to disappear. It will not be part of governing the new Palestine. And so there's a lot to be said on that, and of course I'll talk more about that coming up seven o'clock.
Speaker 7: Two weeks in and tempers are flaring. What started as a standoff over spending priorities is around enhanced in affordable care subsidies has turned into full blown political stress test. Over the weekend, both sides were on the TV shows and both pointing fingers at the other. Virtually no appetite for anyone on either side to talk to the other side. They're pretty much dug in. The House, passed continuing resolution would extend curtain current Biden era spending levels, but House Minority Leader Hakim Jeffries said that the legislation is unacceptable to Democrats because it also includes massive cuts codified by President Trump's domestic policy package. And then on the other side, Speaker Johnson says that the Democrats have chosen a partisan fight to prove their Marxist rising base in the Democratic Party that they're willing to fight Trump and the Republicans.
Speaker 2: Marxist, Yeah, yeah, why not.
Speaker 3: Now it's you communists and patriots, you fighting, looking at everybody and describing themselves. So I will talk more about this, but the people are going to really really suffer. This is the week that paychecks don't come to a lot of federal employees, and it's really going to hurt most.
Speaker 2: See how this pans out.
Speaker 3: I have some ideas and we'll talk about that. At seven point thirty and see if you agree or disagree, or tell me I'm out of my mind. Sure, why not? All right?
Speaker 4: As we moved to real communists China, Donald Trump threatening again to impose additional one hundred percent tariffs on China made everything go crazy with the stock market. But China says it's a typical example of US doing a double standard, which is funny for a communist country filled with rich And then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well they're not particularly communists. They only call themselves communists. Anytime a country calls itself the people's republic, you've got some real issues as to how free the people's Republic is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're right on this one.
Speaker 1: They did say they have countermeasures coming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, they're now in a pissing match.
Speaker 3: Ping and President Trump are really at it. And here's what really got Here's what got Trump so upset is that China is limiting its rare earths that now they're playing with that China controls the rare earth's market, rare earth minerals. They basically have it about eighty percent of the world market. And without rare earth, you don't make cell phones, evs, you don't make electronics. You just need those what I thought you might have nothing we were working with We are, but it's years in the making.
Speaker 2: Minds have to be dug.
Speaker 3: China has a full blown mature industry with this and controls the world market. So Trump now attached another one hundred percent. That's on top of the thirty percent. That's all aready in place, one hundred and thirty percent. I told you that my business with savil or cookwar business which we import from China, a loom Staines steel cookwaar, what was it? A couple of weeks ago, we got a shipment of We had seventy thousand dollars, a reasonably small shipment. We needed some back order stuff, so it costs seventy thousand dollars. The tariff was eighty seven thousand dollars. That we had to write the federal government on a seventy thousand dollars order. It was eighty seven thousand dollars in tariffs. How sustainable do you think that is?
Speaker 4: Gosh, it's almost not worth using the Chinese slave labor. Huh pretty close? Yeah, man, you just can't get good slave labor anymore.
Speaker 1: I guess we're back to the us of A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not going to help very much because still it gets crazy cookie.
Speaker 2: Well the aluminum.
Speaker 3: We also get aluminum from overseas too, don't forget the try to produces aluminum. So it's the whole thing is completely nuts. And the other thing I think I'm talking about this a little bit later on. One thing about this president, and it's both good and bad. I'll tell you one thing. For a US president to bounce back and forth and to wake up in the morning and establish one policy and in the afternoon change it.
Speaker 2: With the kind of.
Speaker 3: Influence the United States has is just astronomical, and he's just taking everybody for a loop.
Speaker 7: Okay, moving on Butner Butner, Mayor Bass is getting some competition, and don't look at me that way.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 7: Former La School Superintendent Austin Buttner is planning to announce today that he is going to run against Mayor Bass for the twenty twenty six mayor's election. He lives in Pacific Palisades. His home was damaged during the fires. His mother in law's house was destroyed, and he has criticized on several fronts, but very critical of the way that she handled the wildfires, saying that officials at all levels showed a failure of leadership on the fire.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much name recognition he has, because did you know his name LA Unified School superintendent who it was?
Speaker 2: I don't think many people did.
Speaker 1: I did. But this is what we do for a living.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you. It makes me feel good.
Speaker 7: Hey, when only like less than twenty percent of the population of LA votes for the mayor, are they in the election?
Speaker 6: I mean nobody knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point, And Neil says, of course he knows.
Speaker 2: I have my doubts.
Speaker 4: So the ball keeps bouncing from court to court, and the Federal Court of Appeals just Saturday temporary temporarily lifted a judge's order blocking the White House efforts to federalize National Guard troops for the use in Chicago, but left her block on their deployment in the city, so the troops can remain at their base, the US Army Reserve Center there in Elwood, Illinois, just about an hour outside of Chicago. But they don't need to return home. But they're still not moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just now their chapter And how far does presidential power go? Where the president is testing pushing the envelope across the board. So we'll see what the courts have to say on this one. These are all, as you pointed out, temporary measures until the merits the underlying case is actually heard as to does the president have the power?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 7: Under these circumstances, inventory not required, So for the families who lose everything in future wildfires, you'll be able to collect most of your insurance pay out without itemizing everything. Governor Newsom signed new law that on Friday, and starting next year, insurers will be required to pay at least sixty percent of a homeowner's personal property coverage up to three hundred and fifty thousand dollars without requiring that detailed inventory list. It's good, but not as good as the original of the original version of the bill, which would have required insurers to pay one hundred.
Speaker 6: Percent of the contents without an itemized list.
Speaker 3: That's a two aage sword. First of all, the insurers have a legitimate interest saying, hey, you know what, We're not going to just write you a check saying that based on what you tell us, you know, here's your one hundred thousand dollars gold coin collection. Oh no, I had it.
Speaker 2: Now it's gone melted.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess you can melt into a gold bar, but you know the coin that's worth twenty thousand dollars. No. On the other side, it's who the hell keeps inventory of everything you have in the house. I mean, what you should do is with homeowners insurance is video everything you have, just do a walk through and that helps enormously. Who the hell does that? So this helps homeowners a lot and we'll just see how much our insurance rates go up on that one. And it is fair to have people be paid for what they lose without having to do an entire inventory list, because no one does that.
Speaker 1: I do, yeah, do you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Actually I go through every now and again, both in my shop in the house and do a video.
Speaker 1: And it's actually it's actually.
Speaker 4: Came in handy when we had a film crew used the house. I was able to prove that things were broken. Okay, I'm weird, No, all right, hundreds. You remember back at the earlier part of the year with the whole doze stuff where people were being fired and then they were like, oh, whoops, you weren't supposed to be fired. We're kind of going through that again. These are the CDC staffers recently fired by the Trump administration. There's about thirteen hundred workers at the CDC so and they come from all different walks and areas. But out of that thirteen hundred, seven hundred were reinstated on Saturday, so you've got about six hundred remaining laid off. And apparently they received incorrect notifications.
Speaker 3: So they fire everybody. This is Friday, Friday. They all received notices and they say you're done, and then the next day, seven hundred ago, oh we made a mistake, you're not fired. And this seems to be the way that the government is being run right now. You'd think someone would think this through, but it's, uh, let's do this with a shotgun and then we'll pick up the pieces.
Speaker 6: Where businesses do it.
Speaker 3: Businesses I think are more selective. They don't reinstate people the next day you get furloughed, and it's not like, oh, we made a mistake, come on back the next day by the hundreds or the thousands.
Speaker 2: Not they don't do.
Speaker 6: The next day.
Speaker 7: But I mean it's happened around here where they do layoffs and then they bring people back.
Speaker 3: And how how in terms of the numbers of layoffs. How many, it's a tiny, tiny number.
Speaker 4: Government should be the best run business in the United States.
Speaker 2: Well it can't be.
Speaker 3: It can't be because the government doesn't have any accountability. You know. It's when you think that, for example, iHeart it has a it's a public corporation. It has accountability to with shareholders. People have accountability to their bosses, the government. It's nobody's money, that's all. It's not your money, So what do you care it's my money?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this guy picked the wrong place to be in public. So apparently somebody went into Saint Peter's Peter's Basilica, went up to the altar and started curinating.
Speaker 6: He was quickly escorted out of the church. Pope Leo was informed and was, as he put it, shocked to learn of the news.
Speaker 3: Okay, that leads right into the joke that I must repeat if you haven't heard it yet, and that is Will's already shaking his head, and that is this is not the first time that an attack has been made at an altar statue in Saint Peter's the Pieta, which is in Saint Peter's in the Basilica. There was that crazy ass Hungarian out of his mind mentally Opensus, who took a hammer and started hammering on the piata and as a matter of fact, I think took out three or four of the toes of either Jesus or Mary on the piata. Now it's completely you can't get in his bulletproof plexiglass in front of it. And as they were dragging him out, and I quote now, he was screaming Pieta. I thought it said pinata. Okay, no, I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm not putting another notch.
Speaker 2: Write that down. I'm telling you that's.
Speaker 1: On my belt. How many times I've heard that?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Can whenever time there's an attack in the Basilica, I have to I have to say it can't contron wrong, Peter, Okay, all right, oh very good. I guess there's nobody watching Yusemite. So Jozamite is going to hell in a handbasket. The government shut down.
Speaker 4: You've got increase reports of illegal base jumping from El Capitan. Also squatters filling up campgrounds. There's climbers using the cables that you see on the side of half dome, but they're doing it without permits.
Speaker 1: Because there's nobody around. It's unclear.
Speaker 4: We don't know exactly how many federal employees are working, how many are not. But one employee who spoke with sf Gate just you know, anonymously, said that they were only they were only aware of a single volunteer patrolling the entire park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't doubt.
Speaker 3: I'm surpriser was even one, because they shut down the national parks. Hey, quick question, is there such thing as legal base jumping for MeTL Capitan?
Speaker 2: Do they allow that?
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so either.
Speaker 6: So they're taking advantage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you go and maybe I'm not saying with real bullets, but maybe paint guns and then you can go and pluck them off as they fly down.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's not even a good idea to suggest.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying, if they can.
Speaker 3: Squatting and base jumping, you're better off just letting him fall and just you know, pick up the pieces.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wouldn't do that, Okay, for the record.
Speaker 7: Yeah, massive merger hanging in the balance. Paramount has officially opened the bidding for rival Warner Brothers Discovery. The board of Warner Brothers Discovery rejected the initial bit of about twenty dollars chair share, but talks are continuing. A Warner brother This Discovery owns HBO, CNN, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, and the Warner Brothers movie and TV studios in uh Burbank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll just.
Speaker 3: See how far what they're what their will, how far they're willing to go in terms of, uh, what they're going to pay per share. Usually when you're buying or a company is buying another company, uh, the price of the stock starts going way way up, and they end up paying a premium over what the market value is. And sometimes it can be pretty astronomical to the point where the shareholders just say we're done, we're selling, thank you very much, and we'll see what happened.
Speaker 2: They may happen here.
Speaker 7: And Larry Ellison, uh, you know he's the world's richest man, right and he wants to the top five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's up there.
Speaker 6: When daddy's money is there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows how it'll go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got my son at Cheruro.
Speaker 3: You're good day, Okay.
Speaker 1: About the whole thing for him?
Speaker 3: Excellent? All right, So.
Speaker 4: It looks like it's one small step for China possibly if they get their way. They're trying to get back to the They're trying to get to the moon. We're trying to get back to the Moon. And there is more and more chorus of voices saying that the United States needs to return astronauts to the Moon before the end of.
Speaker 1: This decad This, that, and the other.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: They people are just saying, hey, we need to get back up. Their NASA plans to use a SpaceX starship, which is the largest rocket system ever constructed, as part of this lunar journey. But Bill Nye, we all know, the science guy, said that the that China's National Space Administration will almost certainly walk on the Moon in the next five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's the difference between the United States and China.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: We have a fair number of legislators who go, we don't want to spend this kind of money, or we have administration that's going to cut NASA budgets in China, whatever Jijingping wants, and the politbureau says absolutely, once policy is established, they go for it. Nothing gets in the way. And that's so it's.
Speaker 4: Only money because you know, we did this fifty six years ago.
Speaker 1: Why is it. Why is it so difficult to do now?
Speaker 3: Because it is not just reaching the moon just for the hell of reaching the moon. I believe it is reaching the Moon for the purposes of then being able to go to Mars. So it's and also reaching the Moon to set up some kind of habitat there, which is not it's just not flying in and flying back.
Speaker 2: Sort of been there, done.
Speaker 4: That was because we're not going back to the moon because Stanley Kubrick is dead.
Speaker 3: Okay, well said to the moon, Alice, to the moon, all right, we are done.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.