Speaker 1: Oh that rocky on a Friday. If you're back from the Deep South.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back from deep South Statesboro, Georgia, charming little town about an hour what I guess west of Savannah. So uh and the Southern miss Yeah, yeah, we down there. Should have visited Jay Rattle if I was down He lives in Savannah, doesn't He was trying to get us to go down there.
Speaker 1: He's got the beach house. I know. I should should have should have hit him up. But no.
Speaker 2: But good to be here on a Friday, ed and uh while I was well, it happened before I left. But the big news, of course on the Bengals front, Joe Flacco, you're a boy straight from the Browns, is now part of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk to our good friend, as we always do this time every Friday. It's our our friend, Richard Skinner Local twelve and skinny. What's the what is the skinny on Flaco? As far as the you know, he'said a couple of days to play with these guys.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been a whirlwind week. We talked to him today. It was funny and I'm writing a story on him right now. And uh, the lead really involved revolves are alway talked about. He hardly ever gets his wife involved in like helping him regurgitate plays during the week, he said, but I actually had to pull her in, and he goes, she actually did pretty good. So what happens is she'll like say a play and then he has to say it back and kind of picture what that play is. And then he says, you know a lot of quarterbacks do that to to kind of get the flow of well, how they want to call it, how it's supposed to be called, all those things, And he said, she actually called it pretty well, because there's a certain way you got to have it come out of your mouth. It's it's not just words, it's the way the words are presented. And I thought that was pretty that's pretty good stuff. But I think that shows you. I mean, they have they have had the speed time warp, getting him ready to learn a new offense to get all and there's a lot to it, and it is it's knowing, it's knowing the protection checks, it's knowing the checks, it's knowing is this a run tag? And this a motion? What are what are these things? And I mean you got to do all that in a span of about three days to get ready to play, and we'll find out. I think it's it's it's fascinating to watch. It's at least now interesting, right. I mean, the last three games were a disaster. I felt like things were heading nowhere. I don't know if this is gonna work or not. I don't think they know if it's gonna work or not. But it's at least interesting and we're gonna find out.
Speaker 2: And bring up a good point about talking the play call back. If you watch that series Quarterback on Netflix, that's something I remember from that series that Kirk Cousins would do.
Speaker 1: He would record.
Speaker 2: Himself on his phone saying the calls and repeating them back.
Speaker 1: So that's one way to learn.
Speaker 2: I also read something skinny about how he's gonna wear a wristband and how is that gonna help? They have the helmet, the helmet communication, but he's also gonna have a wrist band.
Speaker 1: Can you elaborate on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Joe Burrow has done that. In fact, Zach Taylor told us today that that they do that almost all the time on the road with the quarterbacks. He's like, hey, man, if we're in Kansas City or in the low red zone, you can't hear yourself think. So I'll just go to the play, you know, going to the headset, He goes, I may say two words about the play that kind of clues them in on what it is. And then I'll go play number twelve on your sheet, and that way they can look down real quick at play number twelve and spit the call out from there. So, Joe, this is not new for really, for really the Bengals, but it is interesting because I guess I've never paid any attention to Joe Burrow wearing it. I've actually I called up a couple of pictures and looked at and go, I guys, he has won it before. So it is something they do almost all the time on the road, just because of how loud it can be.
Speaker 2: I have to imagine most of it is just verbiage. I mean, the concepts are the same. It's just what he called a mesh concept in Cleveland is now called something totally different.
Speaker 1: So that that's probably the biggest loophole here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question. And you know you have forty seves on the play clock, right the head coach gets to call in at thirty five and then you can't completely remember how to spit that out correctly. And then somebody the hddle looks at you and goes, huh, I hear it. And now you're down to like fifteen seconds. And so you finally get out the huddle and you're down to ten seconds. And then you got to make you know, you see a different defensive look and you're you're expecting you see them maybe coming up caring with the blitz. You gotta seen some mother stuff. Well you know what play clock expired. So it's it's important. I mean, I think everybody thinks it's it's something that's easy to just spit that play out and go run it. There's a lot that goes into it, believe it or not. And it's different from Joe Burrow who's done this in this system for six years. It's a guy who's done it for three days for goodness sakes. That's a lot.
Speaker 1: And we're talking to Richard Skinner and Rocket. This is more of a question for you what is actually on I've always wondered that what exactly is on those wristband those a little flip things there. I mean, is it just it's a code.
Speaker 2: I assume, yes, it's usually just yeah, yeah, it's just just play calls and you know, having and I don't know exactly, there's a million ways you can break them down, but yeah, it's just play called. Like Skinny said, the easiest way to communicate is for Zach to commover the headset and say run play five. And he looks down at the wristband and and you you call out whatever play five is, and which is how many of you, how.
Speaker 3: Many of you eble de sensitive players in your day try to rip that wrist band off of the quarterback?
Speaker 2: Well, see, but that's the thing is, you know, you would look at it and it would probably look like Chinese, you know, like a lot of the.
Speaker 3: It would, but he would. But but there's the question. Do they have backup wrist bands in case you're still there? I mean, that's that's my big thing. But you stole there the one he's got, and they don't have a backup player already written out of that thing.
Speaker 1: You're flying blind, brother, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't have an extra laminated copy of the of the sheet.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's a damn. The Benguishon Institute that this week that might.
Speaker 2: Help us get a little edge on somebody's wrist band.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not on the play on the risk rules, that might just be against the rules. I'm gonna guess I don't know what rule that's breaking, but I'm sure there's some there's a rule back.
Speaker 2: Richard Skinner's our guests and skinny uh and Joe Flagger is not gonna love this making his first start, but Zach Taylor anounced I guess t or Jamar Chase is sick and may not play.
Speaker 1: What's the story with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he sent he's sent him home today for after the walk through. He did take part in the meeting and the walk through, and then send him home for practice, just to get some rest. I'm gonna guess that an illness on a Friday doesn't mean a big deal. Obviously, a monitor for the next two days. I would guess if he was able to take part in some things today, that's probably not too bad, and I would guess he will likely play. But obviously he's questionable on the injury report because of that illness.
Speaker 1: And what about the packers skinning you?
Speaker 2: Obviously we know Michael Parsons in there is there and having a heck of a year. Jordan loves a quarterback. They're one of the better teams in the NFL. What do you know about the Packers and what can the Bengals do here?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, the Bengals offensive line has struggled. There are thirtieth in the NFL and pass rush russ win weight, So that's not good. And you're facing a Packer team in which Micah Parsons has at least seven pressures in each of the last three games. He only has two and a half stacks on the season, but seven pressures means he's bothering quarterbacks. Obviously, they bother quarterbacks. Now, Joe Flacco, I think the positive is and it's been talked about and written about this week. Has faced the Green Bay Packers this season. He faced in just three weeks ago and in Cleveland thirteen attend Now, flaccol wasn't great. He was a twenty one to thirty six for like one hundred and forty some odd yards, but they did win thirteen to ten. So he has a I think a fresh concept of that defense. You know, he even said he goes you know, I've already seen him on film. And then seen one on film and then seeing what they're like physically on the field, so that probably is a little bit helpful.
Speaker 4: And I think it is.
Speaker 3: They've only played one game since the tie with Dallas because they had a buy last week, so it's not like all of a sudden you played them and then eight more weeks ago buy and there's eight more weeks of game film. There's only one other week of game film and that was the Cowboys game. So I think if there's a silver line, to some degree, he's he's at least prepared for this opponent.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine preparing for an opponent, you know, as extensively as you do and learning a new system all in one week. So again, the silver line would be, at least from a preparations standpoint, is probably more refresher than than doing the deep dives because you've already done that and then you know you're you're really immersed in learning the system as much as you can.
Speaker 1: Let's take a winner or a loss out of it.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we want the Bengals to win, and if that happens, Joe Flacco is going to have to have a positive impact in that.
Speaker 1: But take that out of there.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about what does a good day for Joe Flacco look like? And for me, it's just got to be, you know, hitt and open guys. I feel like that was what happened with Browning a lot. There'd be some guys opening a scheme and he was either a tick late or he didn't see him, or.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: What is a a solid first game under tough circumstances look like for Joe Flacco making making.
Speaker 3: Good decisions with the football number one? And I know it's if you're about to get sacked, thoughed in the third row, you know, don't don't put the ball in danger, hit open receivers, be on time. I think those are some of things. You know, You've still got that howitzer for an arm, and so I think he can trust throwing the ball occasionally into a tight window because he does have that big arm. But you're right, hit open receivers that's had his number one. To your point, I mean, I think this would be a big ass to go to Green Bay and win if Joe Burrow were quarterbacking. So I think the only thing you can do is win or lose. It's just assume as a loss, because again, like I said, I think it was gonna be tough anyway if you just look and go, that was some confident offense. That that gives me a glimmer of hope, because then you do have three straight games at home the short week with Pittsburgh on Thursday night, then then two winnable games with the Jets and Bears. It's conceivable even if you lose this game, as long as it looks better and I think we'll know what it looks like. If it looks better, right, then you get the five and four it to buy and you go, Okay, you're back into having a chance at this thing. And so I just think, yeah, I think people shouldn't get over the skis if they lose. If it's if it's a manner they lose the way they lost the Denver game or the Minnesota game, or played for parts of the Detroit game, then sure. But if there's you know, defense, Sal Golden, we talked to him this week. He thought his unit's getting better. They did force Detroit to punt five times in that game, and they also gave up thirty five you know, points to their offense. But you know, he thinks they're taking some steps forward if they can take some steps forward in this game too, and you go, okay, defense took a little step forward. They played pretty solid. Joe Flacco looked like a competent quarterback. And that's just his first game, and you got to expect him to keep improving. You know, his games go on and he learns more and more about the offense and the timing of it and all that, then you would feel, okay.
Speaker 1: I think, all right, that's our good friend to Richard Skinner and Skinny to let me ask you. The spread on this is fourteen points? You're taking that? Bet?
Speaker 3: I am. It's just that's so much in the NFL, man, it really truly is. I got you know, could it goes sideways, sure, because we've seen two of the last three games go completely sideways on them. But that's a big number in the NFL at fourteen, especially if you put the little half point on the end of it. Fourteen in the hook man, a two touch down spread in this league? Who sign me up to that?
Speaker 1: All right? All right, Richard Skinner, thanks so much, buddy, I got agree with Thanks Skinning, our good friend. H Richard Skinner, Local twelve, and I don't know, are you making that bad, bunny? I'm that fourteen points would scare the hell I don't bet sports, but that would scare the hell out of me.
Speaker 2: It's at Green Bay, which sways a little bit that way. Yeah, I And this is why I stay away from because I agree with Skinny's point. I when you look at most games come down to a field goal right in the NFL, So fourteen points is huge. There's just too many unknowns for me to want to put any money on this game. I mean the biggest one, of course, Flacco. How's he gonna look?
Speaker 6: All right? With that?
Speaker 1: We check in with traffic and weather? What is going on? Seven? What a glorious year.
Speaker 2: This band White Snake went to number one on the charts, made more famous by the video.
Speaker 1: I must say, well, there weren't great videos out.
Speaker 2: The route, Yes, and by great, it showed extremely hot women and parties.
Speaker 1: It's yes, you know, basically rolling around what was she on? I forget with it like a It wasn't a mazzle roddy, but like it.
Speaker 2: Was like a ring a jaguarre or something maybe something like yeah, yeah, rolling around the hood. I mean it doesn't take a genius to know that that'll work. But I give credit to the guy for saying that's what we're doing. I canna overthink this. Get the hottest rock chick on the planet rolling around on the hood of a hot car and people.
Speaker 1: Will watch it. Well, all those all those videos back then, I mean that was one of them, the hot for you know, Van Halen, Hot for teacher. Come on, man, that was soft core porn. All right, here we go, Here we go. Yeah, I mean, think about the song. I think you're tying to tell you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, now I got a question for you that do you like this song? You think this is a good rock song? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So my question is, if you like this song and you like White Snake, why do you not like the band that is very similar to them, bon Jovi. It's like the stic, the same band, the same band. I mean, although I will admit David Coverdale is much cooler than John bon Jovi, but still so is that what it comes down to for you?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: To me, bon Jovi is a little uh whissyfied. I use that word because I can't use the other word. But uh, you know, Whitesnake had some bangers man. You know, they rocked a little harder than than bon Job. You gotta admit Jovi was they were. They were a good pop band, so were the Monkeys. They were not in a rock and roll Hall of Fame either. Still a Night, by the way, is the best White Snake song, hands down, agreed, hands down? Ok, yeah, you know there, but think about that back in that day, the glorious days of m t V, when like I said, Hot for Teacher, you had Jay Giles band centerfold. You know, that's that's what it was, exactly like Hot for Teacher kind of right, yeah, and uh and the the trilogy from Aerosmith with Steven Tyler's daughter and uh uh.
Speaker 2: Crazy amazing crime.
Speaker 1: What was that? What was the other girl's name? I forget her name? I was Lived Tyler, Alicia Silverstone, Silverstone, you know, kind of pseudo Lesbo, kind of maybe sword And it was like every video was like that though.
Speaker 2: I mean for Aerosmith, a little egregious on that, by the way, because the same video three times, but also like the same song three times just changed the hook, changed the verse, a little amazing crazy and crying.
Speaker 1: Come on, I totally why I agree with your assessment of that situation. But yeah, well I can't believe that Kiss and Never. I don't think Kiss ever did that?
Speaker 5: Did they?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I remember a kiss video would any and you would think that of all the people in the world, Gene Simmons would have been like, I put a couple of hot chicks in here and will have been kind of thunder would be a great video.
Speaker 2: If I've talked about this documentary before, but it's called the Decline of Western Civilization Part two, The Meddle Years, Penny whatever. She made this great documentary on the whole like sunset strip thing. And in the documentary or I heard talk about the documentary because oh god, oh what was the guitarist from Kiss? Come on, Paul Paul Stanley. She's interviewing him, and you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's Paul Stanley interviews him or asked him to be in this documentary. He's like, Okay, I'll do it, but I don't want to do anything tacky or silly, he said, So my idea is I'll be laying on a bed and I want you to have three girls laying around me in lingerie.
Speaker 1: He's just like, what you didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Do anything corny or cliche.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Uh yeah, in the middle of year. Look, hey, hey kids, you weren't around then. You don't get what we're talking about. At the time, it was, like I said, it was softcore porn on MTV. MTV it what was now? Because now, I mean it's not even there's not even music.
Speaker 2: Videos they even play music videos. I love good music videos, fat oh, absolutely love them. Yes, it's a different time. I guess they have music videos. They're just on YouTube and you gotta look them up, which is not as good as it's kind of like, you know, there's always something about when a great song you weren't expecting it came on the radio, it sounded much better than that same song if you pop the CD in the CD player. I just did so anyway, another news z. Look, I'm a guy. I like a little you know, alternative medicine. In my NFL days, I would have, you know, anything, as long as it was legal. I would have eaten or drank or applied anything to make me feel better.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: This woman here in China actually took that to the next level, though. An eighty two year old woman she's being identified as Zang She was. She lives in the city of Hangzhou, and she was haugh for stuff from a herniated disk, okay, And so they're like, hey, we got you know, we can go through this treatment or there's this other treatment you can try. And it consisted of eating or swallowing live frogs, okay. So in one sitty she followed, she swallowed three live frogs and these frogs are like the you know, the palm of your hand, but still right. And then the next day swallowed five more. Subsequently went to the hospital with extreme abdominal pain, unable to walk. Doctors like, what the hell is going on with this person, and they take an X ray or do a test, and they're like, oh, there's like five animals in your digestive system.
Speaker 1: Right now, animals your stomach right.
Speaker 2: Spent two weeks in the hospital, discharged and promptly told ma'am, please do not swallow any more frogs.
Speaker 1: So please don't talk about discharge when you're talking about a woman who ate like seven life frogs, especially when it is eighty two. Yeah, good god. With that, we have John Matay's coming up. Hard act to follow, I know, but right now we got traffic and weather. What's going on.
Speaker 7: Well from the u SEE Health Traffic Center, Mammograms Save Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with you see Heal sex Per Team five one three five eight four pink. Seventy five northbound Norwood lateral right lane taken up with an accident, and we've got the center lane taken up too with seventy five southbound and Ronald Reagan Highway. It's a breakdown there that has a fifteen minute so down back to Shephard and we're looking at Vine Woolper in both directions here with the police still directing traffic around an accident Seene here. Seventy five southbound via elect to the Brent Spence is about a ten minute drive. We have having your traffic on seventy one both northbound and southbound northbound Ridge Torontal Regan Cross County Highway and southbound MLK to the Brn Spence. I got a ten minute trip in each direction. I'm rick reproduce Radio seven hundred WLW the.
Speaker 1: Forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center Ford to nine clear skies and forty five for tomorrow sunny and seventy. It is seventy. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Gary Jeff Walker waves the green flag to start your weekend tomorrow morning, beginning at five point thirty on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Rapid Radios. Stay connected when it matters most be prepared with Rapid Radios walkie talkies.
Speaker 2: With instant push to talk in LTE nationwide coverage, you can reach family and friends in any emergency.
Speaker 1: One hundred.
Speaker 6: L rocked it.
Speaker 1: Into Friday roundabout this time, and that means we talked to this fellow rattiot, our good friend John Mattarees from WCPO nine News, and John, you were talking about this Halloween candy sale. I don't know if it was last week or two weeks ago, but yeah, ask me, is it that I can actually afford to buy me a bag of recent cups?
Speaker 5: I guess yeah.
Speaker 6: People have been asking me about this then we first reported it about a week and a half ago. Because candy is so expensive. I mean, you're going out now this weekend, you're gonna be tempted to buy that candy, and I mean those little bags are five dollars. I mean that small bag of you know, the Hrshy seties or the Yeah Reese's peanut butter cups, like around five bucks no matter what story you go to, and you know you need a whole bunch of that just in the average family will spend sixty dollars six zero on Halloween candy this year. So wow, that's expensive. So people ask me when is the candy sale, and it's this coming Wednesday. It starts Wednesday, October fifteenth at all Cincinnati area Kroger stores are gonna have thirty percent off the candy prices. So it's a real nice sale. I mean, I've hit this several times in the past few years and people always said to me, oh, when's that candy sales?
Speaker 3: Last week? I missed it.
Speaker 6: So you know you want to go to this coming Wednesday and snap up all that candy Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week because you can get a little nice price on it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it affects you that much, yety, because you're going to be buying the really cheap stuff like the candy, corn and the other stuff that the kids don't want.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, I give a kid a piece of candy corn and uh, and I give them financial advice and don't bet on a fat horse, that kind of thing, and like, move along, kid, get off my lawn. Yeah, I think I'm giving them a like I think it's a treat as a life lesson for many fingers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 6: The pop you know what the problem is with buying candy? Now you go, you buy some bags of candy and like, honey, I got some candy.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put it right here in the pantry. And then like every day the bag it's.
Speaker 6: Smaller, you know, and then it's three days before Halloween. It's like where did all the Reese's peanut butter cups go? Now?
Speaker 2: But but to your point about the price that can my wife just the other week, I was like, you know, hey, like, you know, get some yeah whatever Reesey cups or something. She's like, no, no, do you know how expensive candy is. I'm like, candy, like cheap candy that's probably not even real chocolate. That's that's that's expensive. And yeah, she said, oh my god, it's absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: And who knows why. I don't know who.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's behind it. I blame Big Chocolate Ed. That's why Y're right behind the whole thing. I'm going to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Nevertheless, you know that's the amazing thing.
Speaker 3: You were mentioning that the quality. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: I mean you get some of that stuff at the grocery store in the bags and you bite into it and like, is this really chocolate. We just went out to Fawn Candy. They've got a place in Rookwood and they've got another one on Harrison Avenue out in Western Hills, and it was amazing the difference. I mean, it's this delicious, rich chocolate. I mean it was so good, and you know, they were showing us, you know, how they make it in the fact that the cocoa prices are up so much, et cetera. But I'll tell you if you can, you know, for your family, for the kids, your own kids, you aland get to that locally made chocolate because that's the real thing. Yeah, you get that stuff with the grocery story like what is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let me tell you something. A couple of it was shooting with then the last month, dev had been a Big Brothers Big Sisters here in town. Big brothers, big sisters of Greater Cincinnati, I should say, And now she's going to be happy. But he been there for like ten years or whatever it's been. And her her boss gave her a little gift bag that she bought it Trader Joe's and it had Trader Joe's greasy cups in it. You know of those little guys. Let me tell you some of the guys. That's the next level really different times. Well, it's like, you know, it's dark chocolate kind of you know, high end peanut butter. And I was like, I ate one of them. I was like, you're gonna be kidding me. This is like that when I was like ate and ate my first recent cup or something. You know, I was like, how the how the recent cups used to taste like real? Exactly exactly?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So how about that that that brings home some chocolate?
Speaker 3: You pop open a.
Speaker 4: Bottle of wine. And it turned out to be a nice evening.
Speaker 1: And guess where well I won't even get into the ins and outs of it, if you know what I mean. He wasn't there, but I heard it went well, guy living downstairs, it was awesome. So what about buying let's talk about buying protection plans. Everybody's going to buy electronics and whatnot.
Speaker 4: A lot of people unger about that.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of people bought electronics this weekend, that Amazon big deal October days, so.
Speaker 3: A lot of people bought stuff. The real purchasing time, of course.
Speaker 6: Is November, around Black Friday. We're gonna be getting iPads, laptops, new xboxes, PlayStations. There's Giant TVs seventy five inch TV and when you buy it, they're gonna say, hey, do you want to spend an extra twenty five bucks in the protection plan? Because that's what they do. You know, they offer that protection plan. The question is do you buy it or do you not buy it? And a good question and we looked into it and it's fascinating. They say on an inexpensive item, no, because you can throw it away, like you know, those those slow cookers and pressure pots for like forty bucks. You know, don't get a protection plan with that. What are you gonna do get it repaired? You're not gonna repair a slow cookers that you got for twenty five dollars. You're just wasting your money buying buying it on that on those little kitchen gadgets.
Speaker 3: Now you throw it away.
Speaker 6: If it breaks in a year, no big deal. Basically, anything over several hundred dollars kind of a smart move because if it breaks, you want to get it fixed and want to get it taken care of. So you know you're getting a TV, why not. You know you're getting an Xbox, why not? But here's the thing you have to see where you get it fixed. Because if you're getting a laptop for yourself or an Xbox for your kid, the last thing you want to do is have to ship that off to be repaired. And it's like, yeah, kid, I got this protection plan, but we're taking your Xbox for like a month and shipping it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah ship it, yeah it.
Speaker 3: And shipping Yeah. So you better ask them.
Speaker 6: You need to ask those questions on how is it going to get fixed, because in that case, you may just want to skip it. You may want to say, you know what, if this thing breaks, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just going to go to the local you know, go.
Speaker 6: To Best Buy, the geek squad, or go to a local laptop repair shop. There's a bunch of those you got you break it, I fix it, I break it, you fix it whatever it's called. You know that telephone pair company, they do a lot of yeah break because no one thinks is that you got that place. We even went to a laptop a pair of shop up at Clifton and the guy says, by U see, and he's been there forever and he said, yeah. You know, people say my laptop broke and I'm gonna have a protection plan. I gotta ship it off for two weeks. It's like, that's a laptop. You need that sucker tomorrow. So that's why he said, I tell people, don't buy it. You know your laptop breaks, come here, you know, for one hundred and twenty five bucks, I'll fix it. You have it, You have it back in like five hours.
Speaker 1: Now, what's the deal with it?
Speaker 2: By the way, I never buy protection plan other than a car, I never get them. But but do you have to remember where you kept the receipt and all that, because that's why I always worry about I'm I can remember where that's where they get you.
Speaker 6: Yep, that think about that. Think about you buy a laptop or you buy a soundbar, because my soundbar is not working for my TV. So that that that sucks right now And it's like I can't find the seat for it. I think I bought it Best Buy, maybe I got an Amazon.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like five years old. It's not working.
Speaker 6: And you know, if I had paid for that protection plan for thirty bucks, I'd be so ol because I don't know where I bought it or what I paid for it. And I certainly can't find the receipt.
Speaker 1: Our consumer protection guy is just like us. He just throws a receipt someplace. I remember where that's at.
Speaker 6: Your local consumer reporter loses his receipts. Yeah, there's our top story.
Speaker 3: And I have a great weekend. And as I always say, don't waste.
Speaker 1: Your money, all right, thanks Johnny, And yeah, and that's true because I do that every time. Man, I'm sure this sounds like you do too. You buy something, you go, okay, I want to save this receipt, so I put it someplace and I usually put and then I'll come back to look for it. I was like, I usually put that stuff right here in this drawer.
Speaker 2: And I got a car title at home I can't find, okay, And that's where we're at, all right, It's somewhere in the house. But I don't know where, and that's that's that's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I I I thought.
Speaker 2: Of me buying a protection plan and remembering where I put it, and it happened.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we're gonna be talking to our good friend Dave had Her and talk about all things paranoia as far as and it's it's getting weirder and weirder out there, folks. We're gonna be talking to Dave about it after the news right now, news Radio seven hundred w Lwright Bag with that young Rockey and Rock. This guy right here is like a computer virus.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that everywhere he's on television now, I mean like on every channel, and I see news stations interviewing the guy. He's on with us all the time. He's on like every radio station in town. I'm fun to wonder or is it really him or it's just an AI generated bot of him? Could be good point. You are Dave's hatter, right, the real one.
Speaker 5: You know. Guys in the old days, you'd say is it live or is it limericks? I know you know what I'm talking about it? And now is it live? Is it a bot? Who knows? I'll let you, guys decide if it's or not.
Speaker 1: You're always talking about. All you need is whatever twenty seconds of somebody talking and you can recreate them. But that's why, that's my point. You're all over every media, so we've got lots to draw on.
Speaker 5: Despite a face for radio, right, Eddie, you know it's amazing. I don't know how I was really learned to be on TV.
Speaker 1: For me, Well, well let's get to the we won't even discuss that day anyways. Let's talk about some of the stuff you've been You're always sending to stuff. What's this thing with the with the meta and and and advertising and whatnot? What's going on there?
Speaker 5: Well, guys, as a reminder, you know, if you think about it, what can meta sell you? And the answer is really not much, right, whether it's what's app, Instagram, Facebook, or other platforms they have for the most part, you are their product, not their customer. You're not paying with money, you're paying with data. And this is yet another example where so they've rolled out some AI tools on these platforms in some cases in a way where it's kind of difficult to op out. And now, of course they said, if you've used those things. They're going to take the data achievator in these AI tools, the prompting you've done and so forth, and they're going to use it to schlep more stuff to you. I mean, it's not surprising to me. Again, that's their whole business model for the most part, is trying to figure out how to capture as much data from you, keep you on their platforms as well as possible, and then figure out how to monetize that. So I'm not saying it's nefarious necessary, it's just.
Speaker 4: The way they work.
Speaker 5: But it's one of the reasons why in general, I try to avoid meta as much as I can. Again, the parent company of Facebook, Instagram, what's happened on us? So it's kind of typical. Did you guys, I don't know if I sent you along these same lines, if the Samsung refrigerator story, did you get that?
Speaker 1: I don't believe I got that one in that.
Speaker 5: All right, Well here's a hot one for you. So you know, we've talked about the Internet of things many times, so called smart devices, ring doorbells, nest thumb stets, et cetera. So Samsung just put out a big announcement you guys are going to love this. You go out, you spend two grand, four grand on a refrigerator, right, so called smart refrigerator. Now, the first question is what do you need a smart refrigerator for? Well, conveniently, you know, they got a big screen on the front. And now Samsung has announced that even though you have paid for this refrigerator with your heart owned money, it's sitting in your house. If you cann't gave Babby up to the internet, it's going to put ads on the refrigerator, kind of like the dribble that comes out of the gas pump while you're pumping your gas?
Speaker 4: Is that not awesome?
Speaker 6: For a while?
Speaker 1: Why would anybody want that?
Speaker 5: You got me, brother. But what's even better is think about how awesome it would be if you're a refrigerator under the guise of saving you by figuring out what you're buying and eating and so forth, scanning the bar codes off your products can drop the dime to your insurance company on you that you know you ate like six pounds of bacon, p jars and mayo and drank a taste of beer each day last week. How oftome is that going to be? When your insurance company gets there, you know, and your premium suddenly girk career for you can't get insurance, and then all the while you can you can get you some good ads served up to the refrigerator that you thought you owned in your own house. That's not a brave New World away.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. I mean, yeah, first of all, I can see it. It's like, yeah, that reports. Man, these guys haven't bought a vegetable in years. But I guess I could almost see that. I could see a lot of people, honestly did making the trade off of Okay, I'll take a thing given ads, but I want to I want some money off the refrigerator, or I want them to you know, something like that. But this just gives you ads and and nothing back.
Speaker 5: Right well, as far as I know this, this announcement just came out, and will see how this goes, because you know, guys, I just said this. I was doing a presentation earlier today to a pretty good sized group of people. I'm like, are there some investors in the audience, and can we start a company making dumb machines instead of you know, your smart coffee maker, your smart TV cetter, can we just get back to like, you know, a company that makes a dumb refrigerator and a dumb dryer and a dumb washing machine. You know, because I don't want any of this stuff, not the least of which because of the advertising, but because this stuff is a giant security and privacy dumpster buyer. You know, if you buy a smart device today, it's got software in it, even if you know how to set it up right, even if it gets automatic software updates. In most cases, most of these companies won't make a product go into life when they make a new product in a couple of years. So now you have a security vulnerability. You know, we talk all the time that you got update your Windows, you got update travel phones. You think that's smart call. You think your mister coffee maker from three years ago is still getting updates from the mister coffee that's not so you know that This is why I hate the Internet of things. So these so called smart devices, I'm not inherently against them, but you know, the whole marketing of it, the whole consumer protection aspect of it, as long because they care about speed the market, easy use of market share at your expense, right, they don't care about your privacy or security, and in fact, whatever possible, they are sucking up as much data about you and now are going to deluge you with add on devices in your house that you bought.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, it's crazy, and you may not know the answer to this, Dave. But just as you were describing that, I was thinking to myself, I mean, what's something that most people have a car?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: In every car now? Is a giant computer? Do they make cars or can you? Can I go to Ford and say, hey, I want to buy your truck, but I don't want any of the computers in it. Or is there a brand that makes a computerless car or there else? You're just stuff buy a dumb car. Yeah, unless you want to buy you buy like a pre eighty one car. That's the only way you get something doesn't have a computer in it.
Speaker 5: I'm really glad you asked that question, Rockie, because before we run out of time, I encourage people. Mozilla, the people to make the Firefox browser, which is a privacy friendly web browser, and they do some other stuff. Has a website called Privacy Not Included, just like it sounds, Privacy not Included, and they do all kinds of research on these so called smart devices, and they did a special expose on modern cars. Every modern car from every major manufacturer is basically an Orwellian spy machine. They're sucking up all kinds of crazy data about you. They dig deep into it. And in fact, in their special report, and I'm paraphrasing here, they said something to the effective modern cars are the single worst privacy related thing they've ever seen. When you go out and rent a car and you plug your phone into the entertainment center and you let it sync all your texts, all your contacts, everything just went in that entertainment center. You think they clean that out when you bring the car back. And studies have been network people have gone to a junk yard and bought these bought these OREC cars, and there's like sensitive information from people's phones in there. So no, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a dumb car at this point, unless you buy like a I always wanted to Simon and Simon seventy eight power wagon with the big railroad tie on the front. You know, that's what I need to get something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really think you're stuck with I believe it's like nineteen seventy nine. I believe I've read is it that that's like guarantee you if it's a seventy nine or or older, there's no computer. And now maybe that date is wrong, but yeah, you're stuck buying an older car.
Speaker 5: Carburetors and points man, you know, because the other problem with all this, besides the fact that the surveillance is now just like that refrigerator, you're getting into a space where more and more modern manufacturers are essentially giving you a freemium model. You think you've bought a car and you've paid for it and it's your car. But oh wait, that feature you want, like you'd like to be able to connect your phone to the radio so that you can play a podcast or whatever as you want to do. Oh no, that that costs extra. You have to sign up from subscription altho its heated seats. Now you're your ear is gonna have to be cold this winter unless you want to heat up their bank account with a subscription. I mean it, It is completely insane. And until consumers say enough is enough of this stuff and stop buying this garbage and or just say you know what, I guess I won't get heated seats because I'm not going to pay your subscription fee. I don't know how this stops, because you know, guys, I get some of these things have a very whiz bang kind of you know, coolness to them. Some of these things bring a lot of convenience and make your life better in a lot of ways. But at the same time, we are increasingly adding to our risks through the security capability as a lack of security rather these things, and then the privacy and now the subscription angle. Well, yeah, here's a bunch of features, but you only get half of them. If you want the rest, you're gonna have to pay us everyone. I mean, I'm never gonna agree to that myself. And if I got to go back and get a car from the sixties or something, I will just out of principle because I I'm just that hard headed.
Speaker 1: Well, i mean, where where does it end?
Speaker 3: Is going to be?
Speaker 1: Okay, in about April, I'm gonna start. I'm gonna want to start to have air conditioning again, So I'll pay for my AC from April to you know, October, and then October to you know March. Okay, I'll take the heat it's.
Speaker 5: Well, Google, Peddie, what's your bid is? Well, let's see if you want to have your temperature below seventy three, that's going to cost extra, you know, or something like that.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, exactly right, that's.
Speaker 5: An extra feed for you. Yeah, and that's sick.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I always hate to be the guy that sounds like a lot. I don't here because again, my whole career has been based around this. I spent most of my career as a software engineer making this stuff, which now I regret to some extent. To be honest, I'm not necessarily against this stuff. I'm against the fact that as this moves forward and the for the consumer seem to always be wrong, we are just getting into a realm of increasingly crazy stuff. And I'm not going to pay a subscription fee for all of this stuff. I mean, I understand why these companies wanted because now instead of a one time sale and you know, maybe you don't replace this piece of equipment for fifteen years, you get a sale and now you have to pay a monthly fee. So I understand their perspective. I just refuse to participate in that myself. And I'm hoping more consumers will say enough is enough of this garbage again. We need to we need to pool our money, guys, get some investors and make a dumb product company.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, you are right there. It is maddening.
Speaker 2: There's if there you know, things you want now that that is the modern just snag is it's a subscription based thing. And you know, like like ebook, I like, you know, it's hard to you know, for me to sit down and read a book. But if I can get an audiobook and listen to it, cool, And there's these services out there that have that, but none of them, like I just I would rather pay more for a singular book than have to pay the subscription. And you know, you can get a book you want kind of thing, but your stock it's like all these things that you want you got to pay.
Speaker 1: The subscription sucks.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 4: I agree wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: I would rather pay more.
Speaker 5: And just get what I want. What I want it now I get. You know, if you're a voracious reader. I love audiobooks myself, but I eventually camp with my Audible subscription for the very reason you get described and buying a way folks, if you like audiobooks. Most local libraries in this region have an app like Liby. It's a free app and you can get free audio if you've got to belong to your library right in a library card. But you can get free audiobooks in many cases that are their library collection usually isn't merely as extensive as audible to get a lot of this stuff for free if you if you look, I encourage people to check that out to call you again. Libby is the one I used to the Kenton County Library Libby, but most libraries in this area have have something like that, and all you need is a library card and then you can go in and then it basically, you know, just like you go out of the library, check out a book, listen to it on your phone, check it back in and get another book. It's actually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Interesting, cool. All right with with that, Dave, we will let you go, Buddy, thanks so much. As always leave us scared scared to death, but it's good enough.
Speaker 5: Hey, have a good weekend. Thanks guys, Thanks buddy.
Speaker 1: Our good friend Dave Hatter and Dude, I got to tell you the whole time we were talking to him, all I was thinking about was my reprigerator talking to me like a gas pump at the you know, the whatever, the Kroger gas station. Yeah. Remember the first time that ever happened to you. I never even paid attention to that little TV screen on there. Yeah, the hell is that? Who's giving me the weather? Right now? God, that's what happened. I was sitting there pumping my you know, I put the nozzle in there and I got it on, you know, just pumping itself, just looking around, and all of a sudden, I hear somebody talking to me, and I'm like, I keep looking around, like, who's that? Sounds awfully friendly? And I look at the pump and there's a little bitty guy there talking to me. Yeah. That's going to be your fridge, pretty friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it's going to tell you, hey, by the way, mister fingers, you are out of milk.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, and well, like you said, and then it's going to call the authorities on you. Until this guy's been you can't even believe how much like well, like Dave said, you can't believe how much bacon and beard this guy said this week. Yeah, you got to look into this. Uh, with that we check it with traffic and weather. What is going on?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: And Ron, we've talked about this AI thing and people were going to basically falling in love with an AI generated man or woman.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and well, first of all online and on the internet, the pictures of these women look just indiscernible from real and fake. And then we just had that actor actress, the fake actress who was her named Telly or something that was you know, people were falling in love with. It's a really weird concept. And yeah, I feel like we're getting closer and closer to the acceptance, believe it or not, of people having a relationship with a non human.
Speaker 1: It seems out of a sci fi movie. But it seems like we're edging closer to that. Well there just saw this article the other day. The headline the survey one in five Americans believe real romance as possible with AI chatbots. Now, if you believe that, I do believe there's something wrong with you. But we let's get an expert involved. We have doctor Jonathan Thorpie's a relationship expert and the CEO of Quantum Connections, doctor Welkomer to the program.
Speaker 4: Petty ROCKI thanks for the invitation.
Speaker 1: So doc are we being you know, sorry, regressive thinking that you can't fall in love with a thing that doesn't exist? I mean this is crazy to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think so. I think a lot of people feel like you do, Eddie. And if you think about it, AI is amazing and half of the adults in this country admit that they use AI on a daily basis, probably more so maybe secretly check it out. And if you look at what's going on in society right now, how it makes sense? Right, we have more social fragmentation than we've ever had. And like the outgoing Surgeon General said, he said sixty five years ago, was smoking forty five years ago, as nutrition today, it's isolation, loneliness and disengagement. So people are looking for alternatives to find connection and relationship and in this case love.
Speaker 1: So why are people more isolated? Would you say?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, you know, because you can point of politics and how you know they you see on on social media apps and things like that. But just in your expert opinion, why are people isolating? No one's stopping them from leaving their house, No one's stopping a young man from asking a girl on a date.
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 4: I think it's mostly a matter of convenience. I think people are finding that they can they can find a group of people that think or act or vote like they do very easily, and it doesn't really require really making yourself informed. And this polarization. And I hate to blame social media for everything, but social media really is starting to disconnect.
Speaker 5: Us better than it is connect us.
Speaker 2: I agree you absolutely now that I think I mean convenience.
Speaker 1: I mean there's so many decisions we make.
Speaker 2: I mean, before you came on, Doc, we had our cyber guy on and he's always talking about the dangers of you know, of your information getting shared out there and sharing passwords and all that stuff. And you know, the apps and how many people out there, you know, put in their address and you know, and map quest it right and boom it comes up on your Well, now that thing knows your pathway. But we do it, and we almost to ourselves say, ah, hell with it. I know someone's probably getting my information, but hell with it. It's so convenient that it can just tell me where I want to go, right, So you're right. I think it's just no matter which way you look at it, it's the easiest. It's the path of least resistance that we're choosing instead of something that's more authentic.
Speaker 4: You got it. And if you think about what it's giving us back AI, in this case, it's giving us back a perfect reflection of what we already think and feel and know. I mean, it is a perfect mirror. It listens, it expands the thinking, and it reflects us. And really all it's doing is it's affirming what we already believe. And not enough cases does it really stretch our thinking or reform our thinking. It really just basically repeats it.
Speaker 1: We're talking to doctor Jonathan Thorpe and doc one of the other parts of this article, there was a study eighty percent of gen zers would marry an AI. Now, personally, I don't have a moral problem with it. I just think that you can do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned. But don't you think that's mentally you're not well if you think you're married to something that doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: This is a really important distinction, and I don't want to discredit AI from adding value.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: It's a phenomenal tool, and I'm a relational strategist. I help individuals couples, large and small organizations really learn behaviors and build stronger relationships. I think if you're talking about an individual in a personal diagnosis, then I would really roll in the efforts of a clinical professional and say there are folks that can talk through those situations if you're really going that far with it. But in this case it is problematic because human beings we rely on an emotional circuit that's really like a give and take loop. And if you think about it, at the center of the circuit, there's this feeling of being seen and heard that we all need. We all have it. Now in this circuit, we both give this feeling to other people and we take it from other people. Now, when this circuits between two people, it operates in both directions. I take feelings of being seen and heard from someone else, and I can actually give them back, and that satisfies both my need for rewards and my need for care. It's both pleasure and purpose. But when it happens between a human being and a computer or a phone, only one side of the circuit works. People take this feeling of seen and heard from computers and AI bots, but they can't ever give it back and When that happens, it's like inhaling and not exhaling, we choke and we lose the ability to empathize, and we lose the ability to tolerate other viewpoints, and all those things fade and we suffer. I think young people, if they go this route, will discover in time that it is incredibly hollow existence. And I don't think it lasts.
Speaker 2: I think you're right as much as people you know will say that got to hate when my wife disagrees with me on this. The alternative is as a computer or a bot that agrees with everything you say. And it sounds wonderful, but it's not at all, because yeah, you're not. There's no growth there, right, you got it.
Speaker 4: Growth is a great word for it, and we need it. We need it to find purpose that we're actually evolving over time and actually learning things. If we don't, we stagnate, and I think that's really probably the beginning of the end of a meaningful life.
Speaker 7: Doc.
Speaker 2: I keep going back to your word convenience, because in my head, I'm thinking, look, since the beginning of time, you know, there's been you know, teenage boys that are shy and nervous, and they don't want to ask a girl because they're scared of rejection. But eventually you get to the point where you're like, you know, hell, I'm just gonna do it because there are also I'm going to be a lonely sob here. But now it's like you're creeping into the world where you don't really have to face dejection or rejection or any of that. If I can get it's not as good as like a you know, in this case, a real woman, but if this thing interacts with me and you know, and I don't get it there the rejection side of it, it's not as great, but it's it's decent enough. Is that kind of the decision that you know in the dating world that young men are making.
Speaker 4: It is, And I like the position this way. There's a lot of value in it.
Speaker 5: If you use a tool like this as.
Speaker 4: A rehearsal platform, if you want to practice dialogue, if you want to practice some strategies and some things to say, it's functional. But as soon as it moves from rehearsal to replacement, that's when these young kids are going to lose all of these engagement skills, the ability to actually take a risk and be emotionally vulnerable, which we're seeing a lot of young people these days not have that capacity to do.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jonathan Thorpe is our guest, and you know, Doctor, one of the things that you hit the nail on the head one of the most common things. And Rocky and I've had guests so I'm talking about it before, is that this whole fear of rejection thing has people like I mean, and you guys both have said use the word convenience. Well, I don't want to get my feelings hurt, so it's just easier to talk to this thing that's really you know, I'm talking to a ten. She's sitting there telling me how cool I am and how hot I am. And she's a beautiful woman telling me how cool I am. It doesn't matter this she doesn't exist. But at least I didn't have to ask the head cheerleader if she wanted to go to problem with me. You know what I'm saying, it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope we can cultivate this desire and need for risk taking. I think without it we'll be come synthetic, right, and we don't we miss out on what life has to offer. We we as humans we love because time runs out and AI has no stakes in the game. It's endlessly available, so love thumb AI is therefore waitless and worthless. If you were to ask me, so, what is.
Speaker 2: Your suggestion how do you get people? And I'll say younger people, but it's it's all people you can I'm sure there's elderly people that would also don't like rejection.
Speaker 1: But so what do you coach people to do?
Speaker 2: What what's your advice on how to Hey, don't take the convenient route here, go through the one that's a little harder, but it's going to be more rewarding.
Speaker 1: How do you express that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I like to offer is maybe not a wholesale rejection of AI, but maybe a blended strategy. Right, So, if I say, continue to use AI if you think it's helpful, use it as a rehearsal platform, not a replacement for human interaction. And when you get on AI, don't just look for validation of what you already think. Stretch AI and say, hey, not do you agree with me? But what might I be missing in this exchange? Or can you help me see the other side of what someone else might offer?
Speaker 3: In practice?
Speaker 4: Maybe embedding some emotion in AI when you write in say, how could I word this with more compassion? Or what might someone feel if they were to hear me say this and really invite AI to become more human than just a flat answer or a confirmation of what you think you already know. It's here to stay. I think it'd be wrong of us to say I wish you wouldn't use AI, because you know, as soon as we write a description of all the things AI can't do today, it's only a matter of time before someone smart enough writes that into AI, and in two three four years now, all of a sudden, AI can do that too. We have to expect going to evolve and.
Speaker 1: Improve rise to talk you out of breaking up with it, I mean seriously, Uh, with the with that, doctor Jonathan Thorpe, we will let you go a great conversation. Uh, people want to find out more about you? Where can they go?
Speaker 4: Please check us out on Quantum Connections dot com and learn more.
Speaker 1: Doctor's great.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Hendy Rocket, Thanks but.
Speaker 1: Thanks, yeah, great conversation.
Speaker 2: And I mean people will always take the path of least resistance, right like it's it's it's the athlete that you will choose to go the easy way and not wake up early and lift the weights and do all that. If I can get there an easier way, I'm going to do it. And and now, odd to say, in the relationship world, there's that possibility exists.
Speaker 1: It really well, well, it's like I've told that story on the show before. I went to my five year class reunion and the girl that I always had the big crush on, who was super popular and super cute and blah blah blah, and we were talking and it was one of those both of us had you know, a couple of cocktails, and I go, oh, man, I always wanted to ask you, well, but you know I was me and you were you, and you know I wish you would have because I always I always liked you. And I'm sitting there going stupid, start getting myself upside the head, right, and.
Speaker 2: You're telling Dad go ahead and just pull the pull the car around, or you can go head back to the hotel, right right, just yeah, Well take your shot.
Speaker 1: I tell you, well, see that wasn't there. That was my thing, man, you had it. And actually, anyway, let's go to traffic and weather before I really get myself in trouble here with Rock.
Speaker 4: And Rock.
Speaker 1: Here we are three weeks from the day Halloween.
Speaker 2: Dad, you got your costume, you got your slutty nurse outfit ready to go ed.
Speaker 1: That was the last Shuk working on the same new one. What you you know in typical you know, life form. She she, I think they have a work I think it's a work thing that they're doing. And last year, she you know, did like she put in like she bought some fake vampire you know those vampire teeth you cane, Yeah, like you know at the CBS, of course, cheap plastic ones. Yeah, like seventy five cents and like, okay, I'm a vampire man. And people gave her so much crap about it. She was like, this year, I'm going to dress up. So she uh, she's going to dress as a hippie, and she went out, of course, you don't make up your own costume, that's too right now. She bought it on Amazon. Oh god, and it's some kind of well, like I said, it's bought on Amazon, and it costs about twelve dollars, and it's crummy sunglasses and a cheap wig and some kind of mini skirt outfit or whatnot.
Speaker 2: Naturally, you're I think a good outfit for who would be at Elvira. I think Dad would make a good Elvira. Uh No, I mean she's got the you know, give me your care.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago. Okay, see, I'm I'm going to go as megabraina brain. I name myself Megabrain, and I'm trying to come up with an outfit that fits that name. Loves that one. Oh well, I've been calling myself that for the last two days and she's like, okay, mega brain. I am Mega brain. Uh coming up best? Speaking of Halloween, we're going to talk about the ghost tours. We always love talking to this lady. Yeah, it's always great to talk about.
Speaker 2: I mean, Cincinnati has like a pre pretty cool history of ghosts and goblins and things that happened back in its earlier times that are some pretty cool and frightful experiences.
Speaker 1: Our good friend Miranda from American Legacy Tours is going to join us see what you can find out about the ghosts of Cincinnati. But that's after the news right now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See we tell you about how things Hall of Weed Rocket It was like a like a rock DJ slash. I don't know, yeah, h slash Rocky horror picture show slash, you know, not a good version of that? Yes, yes, but but rock. You know, this time of year you got to get into the conversation about ghosts and goblins. And let's not talk about you when you're when you were doing mushrooms and thought you saw a ghost motorcycle fly over your head Oxford light, it's real, real, damn it telling you. Let's save that for another day. Okay, let's talk to a person who has seen real ghost rock.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm enjoining us on the show right now. Miranda McGee, Cincinnati Ghost Tours. Miranda, Welcome to the program. How are you?
Speaker 8: It's so coozy, guy, I was just doing a bunch of mushrooms, but I'm ready now.
Speaker 1: Does that help me? Does that help the ghost experience.
Speaker 5: In your.
Speaker 8: It makes a very visceral it's a very visceral experience when you're also online ls and that is not as part of our tours. We do not offer llosy along with American like toys.
Speaker 3: That's not what we do.
Speaker 8: Just so you know, I'm going to get in trouble with you guys.
Speaker 1: See you can tell she's doing mushrooms. You hear Miranda's accent there, She's actually from Price Hill.
Speaker 8: This is my mushroom accent. It happens every time I do mushrooms.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 8: And then if you guys call called me an hour earlier, I would have been like, well, hey guys, what's up, what's happening? But now I'm on mushrooms.
Speaker 2: Good there.
Speaker 1: That was great American Legacy tours. And now you guys do these ghost tours every year, Miranda, and I've known Miranda for a minute, and every year you're always talking about how cool these things are. And every year you're always talking about how you get the scared out of you.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, and then I have to take mushrooms. I know I'm done. I'm done with the mushrooms. That is, we're telling with that job. Yes, we do these toys every year. This year we have us six offerings ghost experiences, and I think what makes them really unique is that the historical wanted walking tours. So they're not ghost they're not be your toys. Nobody's jumping out at you. But if you love ghosts, then we give you all this equipment. So you have em f readers and a spirit bar and difining rods. If you don't like ghosts, then you get all the crazy history of like the serial killers in the area, grave robbing, all that sort of stuff. So either way, I think this sort of something for everybody. And because we're local, we get to go into a lot of places that other tour companies who are out of towners do not get to go into, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: All Right, So Miranda, explain, give us a story of a prolific what serial killer and Cincinnati, and then there's a tour of it.
Speaker 1: Now, kind of give us the history and take us through a little bit of the story.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 8: I love that you guess life it's like picture serial killer. I'm like, really, they're actually really hard a lot. Ohio is the number one state in the nation for having serial killers born here or have passed through here, which is I think is really interesting. But I think the one that really fascinates me is the Cincinnati Strangler, which we deal with a lot on our Clifton It's Haunted tour and one of the saddest deaths of the Cincinnati Strangler. He was around in the sixties and he murdered seven women, and one of them he murdered late at night in Clifton. And the only reason she was up late at night is she got up and she went to Good sam to pick up her daughter, who was the nurse there, and she wanted to make sure she got home safely because she was worried about the Cincinnati strangler being out and about. So she delivers her daughter home safely, goes back to her house where a strangler was rating waiting out the back of her garage, dragged her out behind the garage and strangled her with her own stocking. Wow, I know you guys play actually they yeah, it was that was that was a bad day. And the person accused of being the Cincinnati strangler I do not think was the Cincinnati strangler. So technically he could actually still be alive, Wow, and living in the area and just stopped killing people.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, Marianda, when a're we talking here what time frame?
Speaker 8: But this was this is in the sixties, so he could he was a young man back then and he had to be. So the man accused of doing it was Postil Laski Jr. Who was a young black man who did murder someone, admittedly, but he murdered her. He attempted to murder her in the middle of the day by stabbing her and running over her with the cabs. Barbara Bowman, and then he was accused of all the strangler deaths, which were all done exactly the same way. These women were assaulted and strangled with articles of their own clothing, and that murder was so different from the others. The detective on the case even said, he said, this is so not like the other murders. I don't know why you're pinning it on this guy. And this guy protested his innocence his whole life postill LASTI jr. The only reason they pinted on him was because the murders stopped after he got arrested. Oh wow, so I got really I got really deep.
Speaker 2: Right, So what is the ghost aspect of this? Is this the assume the victims that are around and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so the Clifton tour is interesting. We actually go and we tell you all these stories. There are some places in Burnout Woods because there was another woman murdered in Burnout Woods and there is a place with no electricity whatsoever. And when we go there, which is where this woman was strangled. All the ghost monitors light up to red and everything starts beeping and going off, even though there's no electricity. There's no reason they should be going off whatsoever. And it's all in this same place where this woman was murded. So that is sort of the ghost aspect there. We also get to go into I'm not even a lot of allowed to tell you where we go because it's the secret. But we were in there at midnight the other night because that was the only time we had to like check it out, and we turned off our flashlights and we were standing there and the place is lit by a lamp from the street, and all of a sudden, all our ghost monitors went off, and a shadow passed through the room, blacking out the light from the street lamp for a second, and then just like walked right through. And that's when I was like, we should leave. And that's like people sign waivers us.
Speaker 1: No my son. We you know Miranda through our through our son, through the acting community. And Miranda my son was talking about talking to you the other day. Jack was saying that he wanted to go on a ghost tour with you, and you said you don't want to go with me because I get too scared.
Speaker 8: Y'all, Eddie Rock you guys, You guys do not want to come on with me on a ghost tour.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 8: I'm legit scared during the ghost tour and if anything happens, there's a very good chance that I would just leave. I would. That's why my bosses have been like, well, Miranda, why don't you do all the media. You can go on the news, you can talk to like everybody on radio, and we won't make you do a ghost tour anymore. Although you know what I do miss is I do tend to lose ten pounds this time of year out of fear, and so I'm going to miss that little weight loss coming to.
Speaker 1: You from Miranda McGhee.
Speaker 2: It's it's not the Keto diet, not the yeah diet, Halloween diet.
Speaker 8: That's what I say, you guys. I'm like, it's not our zombic it's the ah.
Speaker 4: It'll do it interesting.
Speaker 2: So so Marina, if you could, could you share and maybe it was that one, but your most visceral ghost or spirit experience.
Speaker 8: I can absolutely do that for you guys. And I get scared when I say it, but it's sorry to stay right now. If you called me at night then I would be like, oh God, tell this story right now. So have you guys ever been to the Newport Syndicate.
Speaker 3: Over in Newport?
Speaker 1: You know it's it's I know where it's at. Yeah, I've been by there. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So we we used to start our Gangster tour from there and to syndicate, and we still talk about the Syndicate on our Newport tour. We also also get to go into Mansion Hill taven this year and do a mini investigation, which is such a cool place if you haven't been, it's like the Blues capital of like this little area. It's like, it's amazing, Brian, it's done great work. Anyway you bought syndicates. It used to be owned by a gangster called Peach Schmidt and he skinned somebody alive in the kitchens. The kitchens that they still used today. Apparently they do lovely events like weddings and things like that. And that guy has been seen. He's a tall, thin man in a dark suit with a thin mustache. He's been seen by multiple waitresses people working there. They keep seeing him around because obviously when you die, that horrifically. It probably sort of traps your spirit. I'd heard about him, and one time at the start of our gangster tour, I just jumped into the syndicates to use their restroom, and the janitor let me in and he's like, Hey, nobody else is in the building right now, but sure use the restroom. The door a lock on your way out. I'm going to go back into the jeweling piano bar and keep working away. I was like, great, I'm in the restroom in a stall and suddenly the door opens to the restroom and the lights go out, and I was like, ah, excuse, like there's somebody in here. There's a pause, and then there's footsteps, heavy footsteps that cross across the floor until something is standing right in front of the stole. And I'm a tool guide. I always have a flashlight on me, so I pull out my flashlights flick it on. There's men shoes standing on the other side of the stole door. They were like old timey shoes, like wingtips eyes what I think they're called. And as I turn my flashlight on the shoes, they kind of shift back and forth a little, as if this guy's deciding what to do, and then they step backwards out of the light. I'm terrified. This is like one of the scariest moments of my life. I gather myself together. I basically unlock the door to the stole at the same time as I kick it open, like in Ninja, and then I run through the bathroom to outside the restroom. I think I felt something sort of grab at my hair, but I was so terrified, I don't even know got to the outside of the restroom. Now I'm standing in the light. My heart's gitting a million miles an hour. After about a minute, I was like, I got a check, and so I lean back in. I used my elbow to nuts to open the door, flick the lights on, look into the restroom.
Speaker 1: Nobody there, nobody there and no one. No one escaped, No one got out at all. Right, it couldn't happen.
Speaker 8: No, It's the only exit to the restroom, like you would have. It's the only way to get in and out of there. And after that, I lost ten.
Speaker 1: Pounds folloween diet.
Speaker 8: Nothing like having a good then. I haven't paid since you guys, it's been holding it in the.
Speaker 3: Doing.
Speaker 1: But describe these tours. It's American Legacy Tours Miranda. So you've got how many people in a group? How do you book this stuff?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: So it was really easy to book. Just go online to American Legacy Tours dot com and we have fourteen different tours. Most of them are history tours or Baseball tours or Newpork Gangster tours, and then we have the six wanted tours. The groups can be up to We try and tap them at around twenty because otherwise it's just not as scary, and of varying experiences like Nightmare on Elm Street, which I've talked to you guys about over the years, where we go thirty feet underground into tunnels in the dark and we give you ghost hunting equipment and you go off and do your own ghost investigation. And then you have things like the New Pool one where you're over at Mansion Hill Tavern or Clifton and these are all walking tours, so you're walking around with a guide who's telling you the sort of crazy haunted history of the area. And yeah, no one will be jumping out at you. If anybody does jump out at you, I always say just follow me because I'll be running the fastest anybody in a clown class soon jumps out. That's not someone from American Legacy Tours. We do not want that person you.
Speaker 1: As the old Joe goes Randa McGhee. It is always our play. We just want to have you on someday and we'll talk about that was one thing you volunteered to do one day. Talk about your dating adventures long time ago. You've been married, happily married here for two years. I went out when you came here.
Speaker 8: I went out with one hundred and fourteen guys within a year and a half, and none of them are my husband.
Speaker 1: That's a good story right there. That's a have a weekly series on that. We appreciate it and we will see you soon.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 8: I love talking to you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you here. She is a lovely person, she really is. I mean, you've got to meet her in person. She is on the phone.
Speaker 5: You hear.
Speaker 1: She's a qualifier if she will wear you out talking to her in person. Bet with that. We check in with traffic and weather, what is going on