Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. The Dodgers are in San Francisco and we're joined right now by today's starting center fielder. No, not Andy pae Has, but the versatile Alex Call.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it always.
Speaker 1: They always great to have Alison Chains in the background when we're doing this interview too.
Speaker 2: And why not.
Speaker 1: Hey, the first seven games of the season, you did not get a single at bat, but Dave Roberts has started.
Speaker 2: To incorporate you more and more.
Speaker 1: How did you look at the first week of the season and how did you stay ready?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, of course you want to play.
Speaker 4: I love to play baseball, you know, and praise God, I'm blessed the opportunity to play the game.
Speaker 3: That I love.
Speaker 4: And also beyond you know, the one of the best teams ever. So you know, I I know I'm a great player. I know that I am capable of playing in the major leagues. Uh, you know, even on a on a on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 4: But this is where I'm at right now, and I couldn't be happier to be here and in the role that I'm in doing whatever Doc needs me, whatever the Dodgers need me to do, whether it's just being ready every night to come in or to give guys a blow or whatever.
Speaker 3: It may be.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just extremely grateful to be here and to be playing Major league baseball. And yeah, it's all about being ready. I mean, it's the name of the game. You have to make sure that you're ready to perform whatever your name is called. Because this is Major Leaue baseball. Everybody wants your spot. You know, everybody would die to be in the position that I'm in, and so, you know, just remembering that and just making sure that I'm focused and prepared to be the best Major League Baseball player that I can be on a nightly basis, whether I'm in the lineup or not. Is the mindset to.
Speaker 2: Be able to perform when you are called upon?
Speaker 1: Does it have to be a certain level of embracing this role.
Speaker 2: If you don't embrace this role, can you excel?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean it's you know, it's interesting because it's like, yeah, obviously you want to play every.
Speaker 3: Day like it to everybody's goal. Everybody wants to.
Speaker 4: Play every day, be an All Star, win a World Series like whatever. Like for me right now, this is what I've been given and we're not what you're given.
Speaker 3: Just do it and execute it to the best of your ability.
Speaker 4: And so all that comes in with just like understanding the innate like pressure that there is with playing major League baseball. Like I just said, like every little kid wants to take my job. They want to be where I'm at, playing the game that I love, that they love. So there's only so many spots, though, and if I want to hold onto that spot, it doesn't matter whether I get to play every day or whether I get to play it once a week. Like, you've got to go out there and perform and show that you are a major league baseball player, that you're an asset for the team and that you make the team better and that you you know, do the thing little things the right way. So that's my focus and that's my mindset every day.
Speaker 1: How much of a badge of honor is it when Dave Roberts calls upon Alex call, you know you're going to get a quality at bat. That picture knows he's not going to get a three pitch at bat when he's facing Alex Call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: It's I think why they they went out and got me. You know, they said they wanted guys that are just going to grind the pitcher.
Speaker 3: You know, I think.
Speaker 4: About my first at bat the other day in Colorado, you know against Lorenzen was a you know, three to two, you know, seven to eight pitch.
Speaker 3: At bat with two outs, nobody on base, two.
Speaker 4: Outs, nobody on base, and the I think the second inning, you know, grind it out, had a good at bat, took some good swings, you know, ended up putting the ball in play to right field. You know, that wasn't super significant, but it's just like that's a great at bat, Like that's a that's exactly. I just made him a little bit more tired and made him have to exert a little bit more energy. And then the next inning, sure enough, we we go out there and put runs up on the board. And you know that doesn't happen every time. But it's just like that mindset of of.
Speaker 3: Of making the picture and grind it out. But also I'm ready to.
Speaker 4: Hit, you know, so like if I get a cookie, if I get it, I'm looking for a first pitch, you know, like it all goes into it so like I'm ready to hit, you know, especially with kind of the more aggressive mindset that I've had this year.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to hit, but I'm only gonna hit my pitch.
Speaker 4: And uh so that's the bottom line, and that's kind of how I go about it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean having a more aggressive mindset this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when you look at Alex called the baseball player, uh, you know, you're getting basically one of the best two strike hitters in baseball. And I that is something that I work on, I train on. You know, two strike is the worst average count for everybody, but for me, I'm I take I'm comfortable there. I'm comfortable there. I know that I can put the bat on the ball. I know what I can put the ball in play, and so when you do that, there's just a comfort level with that. So that's ultimately you know what you're getting.
Speaker 3: Without it's called but.
Speaker 4: The first couple pitches, the oh count, the two oh count, the one account, the three to one count, that is where I believe as the Dodgers came to me and I as I look at myself from last year, that's like, hey, we can improve there, Like we can improve there, like that's a time for you to sit on that heater and take a great swing at it, like be ready for it, be ready to rip it. And if you can just do that and you know, add a little bit more slug to your profile, well that just improves my value as a player, my value for the team, and just you know, helps helps in any way possible. So when you look at like what do I do best and where can we improve, we identified like if I can be just a little bit more aggressive on pitches that I can handle, expect them, expect to drive them, then there's opportunity for me to have more production, which is good for the for everybody.
Speaker 1: And that's a mindset, right you have to go up to the plate with that type of preparation exactly.
Speaker 4: It's that type of preparation, the approach with that, and then also the staff and the team being on the same page, like, hey, this is what Alex is trying to do, this is where he's trying to improve. We worked on that through spring training and the results are pretty solid. So we're taking it into the season and I've had the aggressive mindset to be ready on pitch one. That doesn't mean that I you know, take a week swing like no, I'm trying to get my best swing off. And you know, at the same time, if I end up chasing a pitch or if, like you know, it doesn't look great, well, who cares because I'm still the best two strike hit or there is is how I think in my head, and so that's just kind of building myself as a player in a way to help our team get better. If every individual can get better, then therefore the team gets better by default.
Speaker 1: Alex calls our guest in front of first pitch Dodgers Giants, Game one of this three game series. Alex is starting in center field. You're a great guy to ask this question too, because yesterday you're hitting second behind Shoeyotani at Corus Field, and then today and some other days you're hitting more towards the middle third, bottom third of the order. Do you believe that every spot in the lineup has a certain responsibility or do you believe you just have to be everything that you describe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, my objective is to get to first base. Like the name's baseball, you got to get on base. So however I can get on base. However, I can take a good at bat. It's kind of my mindset. Yeah, there's some other intricacies and nuances to where you hit in the order, but for the most part, the objective is just gonna stay the same and get on first base.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: In a unique situation like yesterday when rushing was up with one out and runners on second and third, nobody was on first, I was thinking in my head, I'm in the hole right now, but if Rushing gets out here, they are walking show hey to pitch to me, And so like being ready for that is really important because it can happen really quick. It's like, oh, all of a sudden, I'm in the hole. Well now I'm not on deck. I'm up because they're putting in right on, so I don't have any time to get ready. So, like yesterday, I switched my mindset to Okay, I'm preparing for this situation to go out. If Rushing gets out right here, they're walking show hey. So I'm on deck right now and I'm getting ready to walk up to the plate. And it sounds very small, but like the psychology of that is something that's unique and doesn't happen a lot. So it actually just having that extra three four five seconds of realization of prep actually puts you in a better, more prepared mindset. And then I was able to do that and have a good at bat yesterday and get the walk walk a guy in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, that's amazing because some of the best hitters have said, you're at bat doesn't start when you're in the batter's box or even on the on deck circle. It starts in the dugout. It sounds like you've already won that game. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, definitely, from understanding what the pitcher's doing, what he's throwing, how he's going to try to attack us, to seeing he is, you know, where's he throwing, what's his stuff that day. But then even your mindset in the hole is different when it's on deck, and so there's.
Speaker 3: Just a whole bevy of.
Speaker 4: Things that go into it, and you know, everything is very important and it all contributes to having the best chance at success when you're up at the plate.
Speaker 1: I know you were loving and embracing hitting behind Otani yesterday. Did you get the lineup card by chance?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I told Alex to say give me that lineup card, and so you said, yeah, when we get to LA, I'll put it in your locker.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, what are you gonna say?
Speaker 4: Hitting behind Showho Tani at the top of the Dodgers lineup on the greatest team ever, it's like there's Alex call you know, same thing when I was in Game five of the World Series starting lineup last year. It's just like just ultimate praise God moments. So grateful and super fun.
Speaker 2: Hey, fun to watch you play.
Speaker 1: We'll have fun watching you play center field tonight here at Oracle Park. They call it now another phone company. Thanks a lot, Thanks a lot for the time, Alex, and awesome talking baseball with you. I think you've opened up a lot of our eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you to appreciate it.