Speaker 1: If somebody who has a debate going on at work, they work at a police department and their name is Kelly. Hi, Kelly, what is your debate going on at work? And we will settle this.
Speaker 2: Okay. So the debate since twenty twenty six has started is people keep book counts, right, like of books they read throughout the year?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they go, wow, I read one hundred books or whatever. So our debate has been does it count if you listen to the book and don't physically read it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or does it only count if you physically read it?
Speaker 3: Okay? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think that it can count that you read the book, But I don't think it counts as that you look like you actually read read the book. If that make sense? Yeah, no, it does, because I think you do a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I would agree with you. There's nothing wrong with listening to an audiobook is not a disgrace or shameful. But you didn't read the book. You listened it to the book. What do you think daily?
Speaker 4: I think it counts only because I I think of it in a way that what if you're blind and you want to read a book, that's how you're going to read a book. So would you say that a blind person has never read a book or does it happen?
Speaker 1: I say they've driven, okay, I mean there's certain things that blind people can't do. They just prohibitively cannot drive, and they can't read. They can read brail. I would say, if a blind person read with brail, then they read the book.
Speaker 4: I still think it counts as reading because I'm digesting the information that was in the book. I'm just digesting it with my ears, and no, I am multitask.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be real honest with you. There was somebody who used to say I read a book. I'm like, no, you didn't. You listen to the audiobook. But I respect you, Bailey, more than I respected that person. So when you say you read a book, I will say, yes, I agree you read a book because I respect you more than that person.
Speaker 5: And I can read.
Speaker 4: I know how to read, and I have read a physical book. But if the only books I ever read were physical books, I would never read books because I'm pretty busy.
Speaker 3: What do they say down at work?
Speaker 2: Fifty fifty?
Speaker 3: Is it fifty to fifty? Okay?
Speaker 2: But you're but you're right, oh, I'm always right.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, okay, okay, it is going to say, in your opinion, you're absolutely right. Okay, what do you think I'm going to ask people who listen to the show text in and let us note, is listening to the audio book count as reading?
Speaker 3: I think it absolutely counts. There's no question it counts. But you can't say you.
Speaker 2: Read it, not your physical count because you didn't read the book.
Speaker 5: So you're supposed to take two counts.
Speaker 4: You're supposed to take a physical book count and an audiobook count.
Speaker 5: That's two different counts. I'd rather just keep one.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't sound as cool if you say I read one hundred and fifty books. It's like, well, actually I listened to ninety of them.
Speaker 4: You're still there's a lot of books expending.
Speaker 3: Energy that are there that many books? That reading?
Speaker 5: So many books? I read like sixty.
Speaker 1: Name five books. Charlotte's Web, Harry Potter.
Speaker 4: Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, besides Harry Potter, Girl, I can't gone girl.
Speaker 3: And that's it. There are no more books.
Speaker 5: That's it, that's all.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all you need to read. You just read the five books and you're done. But is reading a book listening? Is listening to an audiobook? Reading a book bought?
Speaker 6: Say, I'd never thought about it, but there is like two different counts. You didn't physically read it, but you did digest the info.
Speaker 1: So would you say I digested the book. Nobody's going to say that. I don't care if you do, say I read a book read an audio book.
Speaker 6: Would you look at me crazy if I said, Dave, guess what, I digested this book like.
Speaker 3: You ate the book.
Speaker 1: Text messages listening counts as reading? What if you're blind? Well, I mentioned that when you're braille.
Speaker 5: Like, you don't come out the womb knowing how to read braill.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to say.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say, no, it doesn't count because let's just say you don't know how to read, you know how to listen. You know what I'm saying. So you didn't read anything, So you don't even know how to read, but you listened to a book.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is the This text says it counts as reading because I've read multiple studies about how an audiobook activates the same parts in your brain as it would if you were reading it.
Speaker 1: It's not true though, not only does it doesn't matter whether it activates. We're not talking about whether it activates the same parts of your brain. We're talking about whether you can use the verb read or listened if you wrong. But one is different than the other.
Speaker 6: If you don't know how to read, period, like if you don't know that C. A T spells cat, that you don't have to know how to read. So but I could listen to something and still say I've heard the book but you didn't read it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Say I heard the book. You wouldn't say I digested, should say I read.
Speaker 3: It either, because you digested it.
Speaker 5: You did read it.
Speaker 4: You were you you heard everything that's in that book. It's like if somebody was reading to you out loud, Like if you're reading you know, Go dog Go to someone else, would you then say, like, I've never read Go dog Go.
Speaker 5: No, you know exactly what happened in Go dog Go because someone read it to you.
Speaker 6: If you took your car to the car wash, are you gonna say I washed my car? No, because you didn't wash your car somebody else did. You'd say I washed my car.
Speaker 1: I did wash my car. Yeah, I did my laundry. But did the machine do it or did I do the Here's the final answer. The doctor nights and says I have a PhD and language acquisition. Listening and reading are two different modalities. Don't use big words on me, doctor, They have distinct processing mechanisms and we assess them separately in language learning. They also have their own proficiency levels. That said, listening and reading are separate inputs.
Speaker 6: So it says you don't read a podcast exactly because a.
Speaker 4: Podcast isn't a book, Like I wouldn't read a podcast because a podcast not a book. But if I'm reading Gone Girl the audiobook, I'm reading that book because it's a book.
Speaker 5: It's meant to be a book. And I don't.
Speaker 1: Know what this is what really is irking me. I don't know how you can argue about something so small and trivial when there's something else to argue about, whether a hot dog is a sandwich or not. Now you guys will just stop ignoring that giant issue in the.
Speaker 5: Room is a sereal of soup.
Speaker 3: No, why not.
Speaker 1: Let us know, let me hear there's a couple of other text messages. I'm an avid audio booker. It absolutely counts. Also, who cares.
Speaker 3: No, you're absolutely right. I don't care.
Speaker 1: If you are a child at school and all you did was listen to books, you would never learn to read.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: They don't physically know how to read. Another text says I had the book read to me. Maybe that's what we should be saying. That's not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: This is a text that says whenever I say my friend built their house, my husband says, they didn't build it. The construction workers build it. So people go, yeah, I'm building the house out in maple plane. No you're not.
Speaker 6: Oh, I love all these different layers of this onion. Somebody else said, if I watch so, if I watch a show based on the book, is that the same as reading the book? The ballad question, it is movies. Well, by Bailey's definition, it.
Speaker 4: Is no, because it's not the book itself. I'm making sense. Okay, I'm making sense.
Speaker 3: What you think?
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 4: I read fifty five books last year, and yes they were all audiobooks. But I was digesting the book itself, and someone was, yeah, reading it to me, but I still read the book.
Speaker 5: You think you're making sense, but are you make it?
Speaker 6: Change?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this one. So here's a teacher.
Speaker 1: So a teacher that says a student would not be able to count listening to a story being read to them as a book they read. If you are a teacher and you assigned that they got to read To Kill a Mockingbird and they listened to the audio book, does that count? Let me know, teacher, We're curious. This is one of those dumb, harmless debates where it doesn't really matter whether you're right or wrong.