Speaker 1: All right, we'll get back to your phone calls in a little bit. But a pleasure at to spend in a few minutes with one of the Dodgers' top minor league prospects. You heard his name all spring along for tearing it up in the Cactus League over in Arizona. He's off to a great start here in twenty twenty six in Triple A, Oklahoma City. With the comments he of courses Dodger outfielder James Tibbs the third and he joins us now here on off night Dodger Talk. James, appreciate the time. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good, I'm good. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely appreciate you coming on here on Dodger Talk. You're you're in Triple A Oklahoma City. A great start to the season. You had the seven home runs in the first nine games. What has that jump been like for you. It's the Triple A level this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been. It's been interesting. I think a triple you see a lot of guys with a lot of time in the big leagues, and whether that be position players or pitchers, and you know, specifically on the pitching side, a lot of guys will have a really good idea what they're doing on the mouth, and so it kind of creates a a lot a lot more of a chess match for me and trying to figure out what they're doing, trying to figure out, you know, as they're trying to figure out what I'm doing. And it's just kind of the cat and mouse game that I love about, you know, baseball itself, and it's given me, giving me some some difficulties at times, but I think at the same time, it's kind of helped me understand, uh even more, you know, about my game and about what makes me, you know, tick at the plate, and how I can be the best I can be. So it's been it's been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed it. Obviously there's going to be ups and downs in the season, and definitely been been in a couple of ups and a couple of downs and trying to figure out how to you know, make those uh you know, learn from those and and be the best player I can be.
Speaker 1: We mentioned you had a great spring at Camelback ran shot over three hundred four home runs eleven RBIs uh. What was a message though from the Dodgers front office when they called you in and said you're going back to the minor league camp, You're going to start the year in Triple A Oklahoma City. What was the message they gave you to go work on, to go do, to go for for this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just think it was continuing to work on the things we had really focused on spring training, which was, you know, the defensive versatility, playing in the outfield, playing multiple spots in the outfield, playing first base, being able to do those well because we really, uh we really value that, you know, as an organization, and so that's something that I take a lot of pride in and I really enjoy. And so from that side of the of the ball, definitely continue to work in those areas and uh, making continue to make strides. I think they really liked where I was what was at defensively, but I think it's just continuing to make strides there. And I think the other thing was just continuing to work on the little things with my swing, trying to figure out, uh, you know, we've made some swing adjustments in the off season, so trying to figure out where when things go wrong, what that looks like, and and and being able to minimize uh, you know, down stretches and continue to hit left your relievers, which is something that you know, I take a lot of pride in as well. So I think all, you know, all those things where things I already knew, which I was thankful for, but also things that I was excited to come and work on. And Okay, see, we'll.
Speaker 1: Go back to last year, James, if we can, a world win year for you. Thirteen months after you were drafted by the Giants, traded to the Red Sox, and then the Dodgers acquire you in the trade for Dustin May. Three teams in like forty seven forty eight days as a baseball player. What is that like for you? I mean, you're in your first full year of pro ball and now you're on your third organization. What was going through your mind?
Speaker 2: Who oh man, you got an hour? Yeah, I think it was. It was tough. You know, I think for a guy that had played for three teams his whole life, you know, one college, went high school and one travelbal organization, really it took a toll on me. You know, I didn't really know the business side of baseball, and so, you know, from the outside looking in it's like, well, you know, he got traded whatever. But for me, it was it was hard. You know, I had to really, I really had to come to terms with you know, to grips with the situation and be like, look, I got two choices here. I can you know, feel sorry for myself. I can suck up and figure it out. And so the beauty of the way that uh, you know Rhymer and Blake Gaylenos our heading coach, and Tulsa you know, put it, it was like, hey, man, we just want to be yourself. You know, we believe in you, we believe in what you do. And so it really gave me, you know, a jolt of encouragement that kind of helped you know, me kind of get back into the swing of things literally and figuratively and kind of how you know, helped me, you know, figure out what I need to do. And and you know, they're just so good up and down. I think from the outside of perspective as somebody growing up in you know, watching baseball, you see the the ability of the Dodgers to help, you know, get the best out of their players, and so to experience that myself was something that my family and I are very thankful for and it's been a blessing, you know, an answer to prayer, to say the least. So it was a lot, it was. It was forty seven days went quick and three teams in that time. Was definitely something that I had to make an adjustment at. But I think coming into this year it was it was nice to be able to feel comfortable and feel wanted, and feel loved and and and really kind of helped me and my confidence in the game and my ability to kind of come out there and compete every day.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the mental side of the game and the confidence you're playing with when you come to a team like the Dodgers and the coaching staff in Tulsa tells you what they told you, ye squad and do what you did how you got here. How much does that take pressure off of you relax you at the plague and did you noticeably see a change in the way you were playing?
Speaker 2: Absolutely one hundred percent. I mean I think that you know, for them to say that that's not something that they owe me, you know, they don't. They don't owe me the things they've given me. And I think that's the beauty of the Dodgers is they're very upfront, they're very honest, but they're also very encouraging. And for them to do that, you know, from Rhyme's being you know, in charge of the farm and and and VG really taking you know, control of helping me get back to that swim. I mean, I remember we were sitting in Corpus and and you know that first day it was my third game and we took probably four or five hundred swings that day and to end up with two homers that day. So it's just a testament to them all the way around of how good they are at, you know, helping and getting the best out of their players. I mean, I think the mental side of baseball is it's so cliche, but it's just the most important thing, you know, in this game because one hundred and fifty games, one hundred and sixty games, you got to figure out how to compete, you know, sometimes in bad circumstances. And so for them to give me that encouragement was it was a huge breath of fresh air. And I think from my family and I we are extremely appreciative of what they've done for us and how they've treated us, you know, coming to this organization.
Speaker 1: James Tims the third with us here on Dodger Dodgers off their in Milwaukee tomorrow. James off to a great start in twenty twenty six, had a great spring at Campbell back Rams with the big league's team. How do you describe your game, James, who's the best comp in your mind to the way you play the game, the way you hit, the way you can kind of hit for power, the on base percentage, you kind of do it all as a hitter at the plate, in as a corner outfielder. What's the best What's what's the best comp for James Tim?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've heard Peters.
Speaker 2: I don't mind that. I don't mind that at all. I don't know. It's not something that I've really ever thought of. I really just like, first of all, it's embarrassing giving a comp of myself, But I also think that just you know, I just want to be the best player I could be, right and at the end of the day, like I'm just trying to compete into the mess of my ability with the with the gifts that the Lord has given me, and and hope that that's enough, you know. And so like you said, like, I love getting on base, I love hitting the ball hard, I love hitting for average. Those are things that I take a lot of pride in. And playing good defense as well. Being able to be sufficient out there and and make some above average places from time to time, I think is extremely important to me. So if I can do all those things, well, whoever you guys want to, whoever anybody wants to count me to, that's as long as I'm as long as I'm doing what I need to be doing.
Speaker 1: We mentioned the spring that you had in Arizona and you were with the big league team for most of it. It's only your second year in pro ball and there you are sitting in the clubhouse Showy Otani, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts. What was that like for you? It was it an eye opening experience at first? At what point did you feel like, Okay, I'm here, I need to start kind of gleaning off these guys. What was it like for you to be in that clubhouse in Arizona this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming in, I think that my whole goal was to just soak up every bit of information I could. You know, I was out in La in January and kind of gotten some advice from some of the guys that were around, and it was just, hey, man, you're not going to make the team, so just go in there and enjoy it, have so much fun, let your talent speak for itself, and just learn. And that's really kind of what I did. And you know, I really love being at the field every day. I really enjoyed being around those guys. Obviously, there's not a lot of pressure for me being that I'm not trying to make the team. All I'm trying to do is just uh, you know, show that I could I belong and and and show that I'm I'm good enough to compete. And so for me, I went in there and they probably they probably hate me because I asked so many questions, but I was just trying to ask questions after questions. And you know, the cool part about that locker room is everybody was extremely receptive to that. You know, everybody wanted to answer questions, they wanted to help, they wanted uh, you know, they wanted me to be the best player I could be. Not because you know, of any reason in particular, but they just care about the game, They care about each other, they care about the guys. They're willing to, you know, talk, they love talking baseball, and so I think that was extremely eye opening for me. You know. I think after the first two or three weeks is where I kind of was like, Okay, all right, you know, I feel comfortable now, I feel like I'm you know, I feel like I'm a part of it in some sense. And so I think that was where it really kind of helped me start to take strides and really kind of get things, you know, moving, you know, on the ground. And so definitely a fun experiences, something that I'll remember for the rest of my life. I definitely hopefully I get a lot more of those, but the first one is extremely special.
Speaker 1: Now you always hear the expression be where your feed are, be present in the moment. With that being said, James, how much do you allow yourself to think about that call coming? Because it's going to be sooner rather than later. Everybody knows that. Everybody sees it, and everybody's excited to see James tips the third in a Dodger's uniform. Can you allow yourself to think about that or is that something that you have to keep out on the outside?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I uh, you know, ber you fewr has been something I've really lived by the last year year and a half. And there's a Bible verse that I hold near and dear to my heart. It says, be still and know that I am God. So I really just try to be still. I mean, it's it's as cliche as it sounds, like I've focused on the here and now and what I can do. Obviously, i'd be lying to you that if I didn't think about it. Obviously, it's definitely something that I think about. It's a childhood dream I've always wanted to I mean since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a big league baseball player, and so obviously something that I think about. But at the same time, I'm really happy where I'm at. I really love, you know, the guys and the team, and I really love, you know, working on things that that i've I've even necessary to be, you know, a complete player, and you know, helping myself try to make the stride, you know, as many strides as I can, so that there's not as big of a of a roadblock, you know, when I get to the big leagues. And so I think for that, for those reasons, I'm pretty pretty steady and just keeping you know, confident and keeping happy where I'm at and in the day. If it comes, it comes, and you know, or when it comes, it comes, and so I'm just you know, I'm trying really hard to enjoy it, and I've been pretty successful at it so far. So obviously I hope it happens this year. I hope it happens soon. But at the same time, I'm not worried about it in any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 1: All Right, let's get to know James Tims a third, a little bit better, a little rapid fire here for the Dodger fans. Best minor league city you've played in in your brief time in the minor leagues to playing pro.
Speaker 2: Ball, Yeah, I think away with Way Park was probably Vancouver. They got a pretty good crowd, pretty good, pretty fun atmosphere there. Uh. And then home home side definitely Portland. Portland was a cool spot, a lot of a lot of knowledgeable fans over there, and they love the game. So those are two of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Best baseball moment that you've had at any level, whether it's high school at Florida State professionally, is there a baseball moment that sticks out in your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I think there's the one that really sticks out of my mind is Game two of our Super Regional against Yukon. Hit three homers to help, you know, help us get to get to Omaha. Definitely one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Best food for James Timbs, the third your favorite?
Speaker 2: Oh, think of Venison steak. It's probably one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Really interesting, Okay, how favorite music the you do? Right now? What are you listening to?
Speaker 2: What am I listening to you right now? Cliche? But it's gonna be some country music. Probably Cody Johnson, Luke Combe, Yeah, Zack Top, those type of guys, Riley Green, George Straight. Oh yeah, we love Riley Green. He's awesome.
Speaker 1: Uh, James Tim's the Third's bat company. Let's shout out who you're using with your lumber back company.
Speaker 2: I'm a Victis guy. Love those guys. They've been great to me.
Speaker 1: All right. There he is James Timbs, the third Dodger Minor league prospect. A great twenty twenty six spring off to a great start in Triple A, Oklahoma City, and it's just a matter of time before Dodger draw fans gets to see him wearing that Dodger blue. James really appreciate the time on a game night. Thanks for checking in with all the Dodger fans out here in Southern California. And continue success in Triple A. We can't wait to see at the big league level.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it absolutely all right, there he goes, James Tibbs the third. What a great guy and certainly a big time prospect for the Dodgers' first round pick of the San Francisco Giants. They traded him in the Rafael Devers trade to the Boston Red Sox, and then the Dodgers got him in a steal in the trade for Dustin May. Last year, tore it up in Double A Tulsa. Went to spring training this year at camel Back Ranch. That's the name we kept hearing all spring long. James Tibbs the third and then the first two weeks of the season in Triple A Oklahoma City hit seven home runs. Now he's cooled off with the home runs a little bit, but still having a great season average wise, ops driving in runs as a corner outfielder there in Triple A Oklahoma City. We appreciate him coming on the show and again it is just a matter of time when there is an opportunity that arises for an outfield spot and some of the bats at the big league level. James Tibbs the third will be wearing Dodger blue. We cannot wait for him to make his major league debut.