Speaker 1: New month, New day in an extra hour as a bonus overnight tonight Stirling and Donna Bee hanging out seven hundred WLUB.
Speaker 2: I love the time change when it comes to the you know, when you gain an hour of sleep and it's lighter in the morning. It was literally dark until eight this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like the dark. I don't like the cold.
Speaker 1: If we could just pick out the try state and move it, or move the equator closer to here, if we could have that shift, the days would be balanced, the temperatures would be balanced. We could have a Super Bowl here. These are the things that bounce around in my brain.
Speaker 2: Did you get a lot of trick or treaders?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I had to be here.
Speaker 1: I oh, I had like three or four kids. And then as I was leaving, I saw some mothers like quickly coming and I went back in and grabbed a handful of candy, and I grabbed a handful for me, and then I left. There was no tintacker in the trees, there was no soap. I assume everything's okay. The crazy dog didn't cheose through the door, so you know.
Speaker 2: Well, we did have a of trick or treaters. We ran out of candy, and everybody on our street is so cute that you know, they have fire pits and they have music out and there. It was so fun and it was such a beautiful night out for Halloween for the kiddos.
Speaker 1: Perfect for this super cute And there's still some trigger treating, some beggars night stuff going on lot tonight, so we'll talk on that a bit later. Too, kind enough to give us some time. He's the boss at the Free Store Food Bank, Kurt Ryber Welcome back to seven hundred WLW with Sterling and Donnade.
Speaker 2: How is this?
Speaker 1: We've talked it seems for months now about budget constraints, money that was promised to food banks that was pulled in the first part of the year, and then now of course snap benefits and others, and then the government shutdown. It is clearly a Gargantauan situation you're dealing with at the Free Store Food Bank.
Speaker 4: Yes, hey, Sterling, and they say we should live in interesting times of that we are, you know, quite honestly, I think our team at Freestore has been I won't say gearing up for this, but we've anticipated this and and you know this car and community has rallied behind us. But yeah, we've seen an increase in in our customers, our neighbors coming in for food. We're seeing that, you know, across our six hundred plus pantry partner network, we're seeing about at increase in overall demand year over year, and just in the first three months of our fiscal year, we've seen twenty two hundred new families come into our the two markets that we operate, our Livery Street market and our Betailor market. And you know, I don't see any letup right now, and it's primarily not only due to the government's shutdown, but also to the inflationary pressures that we're all faced with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is more expensive. So, Kurt, do you see because I help out with the Cincinnati Animal Care and they had a post that you know, with the with the food, the food shortage, the government shutdown and things like that. People need dog food, pet food, at cat food and that kind of stuff. Do you provide some of that as well?
Speaker 4: We do not, but we have some partners that when we get that kind of product in, we ship that over to some partners that are able to distribute that out. Some of our pantries. We support six hundred pantries and the twenty kinds that we serve. Some of our pantries do get some of that product in. So I would encourage folks to go to our website Freestore Foodbank dot org and click on the fine food now. But some of the pantries will identify themselves as having pet food and things available for them.
Speaker 1: Talking to Kurt Ryber, he's the boss at the Free Store Food Bank with Sterling and Donnade on the big one.
Speaker 2: So what have they told you?
Speaker 1: I know that the state somehow was able to pull funds from some source in their banking and provide some help for some with snap benefits. It's not full. We don't know how long that's going to last. Does that benefit you and the Free Store Food Bank and your clients?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Actually, I mean it's starting with our friends as the Hamilton County commission I mean all three commissioners voted to reallocate some American Rescue Plan funds to the Free Store two hundred and twenty thousand dollars to be exact, and those funds are going to be coming to us shortly and will be used to purchase food for our Hamilton County neighbors.
Speaker 6: As you know, the.
Speaker 4: Governor Dwine and the legislature at Ohio has done through an executive order twenty five million dollars now seven of that will come to the food banks that serve the state of Ohio. So Freestar will benefit from some of those funds coming to us. And also so Governor Dwine has really stepped up in a big way. And Governor Governor Basher in Kentucky has also done an executive order that will allocate five million dollars of funds coming to the seven food banks, free Star being one of them that serve the Commonwealth of Kentucky. You know, those funds will be used to purchase food, and that really makes a difference because what we decided to do during the government shut as a result of the government shutdown and the loss of snap benefits is increasing the amount of food that our families can get when they come and shop at our betailor market or our Liberty market. So they can get between it's you know, somewhere between twenty and thirty percent more food. Because what we found is that when we talked to our customers, they said, geesez We'd love to come and get food, but we really don't want to come twice a month because you transportation is a huge barrier for them. So we said, why don't we increase the amount of food they can get a single visit. So today we opened up our betailor market as we do on every Saturday from ten o'clock to three o'clock in the afternoon. We saw the line was around the corner and down, you know, down the hallway here at free Store. But you know, they were coming in. They got all the frictions for their Thanksgiving meals. So they walked away with their turkey, their stuffing, their potatoes, you know, mac and cheese, all the comfort foods, cranber sauce and gravy. So they're they're walking out and you see the smiles on their faces and that that's just just so reinforcing to our team here at Freestore and you know, our wonderful volunteers.
Speaker 2: That's great, Kurt. And so you you mentioned, you know, SNAP benefits. Obviously, if I was somebody that was getting SNAP, I'm not getting him from this point on until the government reopens. What do I do? How do I how do I get you know, the thanks you.
Speaker 4: How do you make ends meet?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 2: So how do I So? How do I go? How do I go about? Do I just show up? Do I have to have they just show up?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They're basically the families that can come to either either of our markets or to our one of our six hundred plus pantries basically have to be a two hundred percent or below the federal poverty level. So if you think of a family of four that's around sixty four thousand and sixty five thousand dollars, sounds like a lot of money on it, but it really isn't when you think about paying for transportation, childcare, housing, you know, utilities, and the like. Usually most of the families that we serve, probably about seventy to seventy five percent, are working. You're just not making enough money and to make ends meet and living paycheck to paychecks. So, you know, the folks that have been furloughed or laid off or have missed a couple of paychecks, they're in our you know, they're at our doorstep waiting for food, and you know, we treat them with dignating respect. We invite them to come in if they have any questions. Our staff is there to answer those questions for them, but more importantly, we're there to really reinforce and let them know that, hey, you know what, everybody needs a hand up every now and again.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they would do without places like the Free Well, yes, you know. So it's it's literally when you said, Kurt, how long is how long would the weight be if if the if the you know, line is around the building, how long would it be to be able to go and get your groceries?
Speaker 4: We started, We started, folks started lining up this morning. We didn't open up until, as I said, ten o'clock, but folks started lining up around seven forty five this morning, and I was out there talking to them and letting them know that we were going to have food. A few folks came saw the line and we're getting ready to leave, and I just said, I said, you know, we're going to be distributing turkeys and the fixing for a Thanksgiving meal between now and the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So I said, come back at another time because our betailor market is open from nine o'clock until five o'clock Tuesday through Friday, and then on Saturdays, we're open from ten o'clock in the morning at three o'clock in the afternoon. And our Liver Street Market is open from eight o'clock in the morning till four o'clock in the afternoon Monday through Friday, downtown and over the line, so folks can come in and they can shop and they and they can get the things that their kids and their family is going to like. And they were just they're just really humbled by the outpour of support that this community has given us. We appreciate support that the Hamilton kind of Commission has given to us. We appreciate what you know, Governor Dwine and Governor Brashier has done for the state of Ohio and Kentucky. You know that that goes a long ways towards helping, you know, limit the fear, the anxiety of the families that we're serving, because you know, the unknown is what really is bothering people when they don't know when their staff benefits will be reinstituted. So we're going to try to bridge that gap and make sure that the families are not going without and they are receiving the benefits that they need. Uh And you know, the one thing that Governor Dwine has also done is they will have about twenty five million dollars of the funds that were I'm sorry, about eighteen million dollars of the funds that were available will go to families that are fifty percent or below the federal poverty level in one of their programs, and that's going to help bridge that gap as well. So it's a it's everybody working together. It's neighbors helping neighbors. And what I would also encourage folks if if they have a need, go to our website Freestore Foodbank dot org so they can find a pantry near them. It's open in the hours of their open operation. But also if an individual or a family is in a position where they can make a donation, now is the time to do that. Because every dollar that we get in can provide the equivalent of three meals, and ninety four percent of all the resources to come into the Freestore Food Bank go right to our neighbors. It's neighbors helping neighbors right here in our trictate community, and that's what makes our Greater Cincinnati area truly great US.
Speaker 1: Freestorefoodbank dot org Kurt riiber A CEO. He's the boss at the Free Store Food Bank. We appreciate you, your team and all that you do and all these other resources. Governor of Ohio of course, the wine, the Sheer Kentucky and other organizations, groups and individuals too. I mean, every little bit helps. Holiday season always seems top of mind, one of the things before we let you get out of here.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious because it has.
Speaker 1: Already been for the last couple of years, a groundswell of need for people in the midst of what was supposed to be an economic bounce back, even though there's been inflation. So now we're talking about overall some forty one million people. This is the thing that's hard to wrap my brain around. In the best of times, on average, over forty million Americans are regularly whether it's kids with moms, you know, hardworking families just struggling to get by for whatever reason, senior citizens, veterans, even forty one million Americans. It's nearly twelve percent of the US population is needing some type of help on a regular basis, with food from snap program, foodstamp program, whatever you want to call it. That shatters I mean my perception of the foundations of this nation and how powerful we are when we talk about how strong in our military might and everything else and making America great again and healthy again. If you can't get medical care and you can't get food, you're not very healthy.
Speaker 4: S Cerlian. We can do work, we can do better and and and the reality is this is that this Trice State community has rallied behind the free store, grew bank and stepped up when you know, we've we weathered the Great Recession, we weathered the pandemic. We will get through this government shutdown and the food stamp situation, uh by everybody helping and ployee together because you know, we look to create a hunger free, healthy and thriving community and we can't do without this carring community and the support that you all provide to us.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no questions of very big hearts, very big giving pockets and care in and around the Tri State, that is for sure. Kurt Rber the boss Freestore food Bank dot org. You can find out more, give and get some help if necessary too. Thanks for spending some time with us today. We know we got a lot going on.
Speaker 4: Hey Sterling, Donald great with you guys, and as always we appreciate the mega mega phone that Wow provides to us and allows us to get our message out and talk about uh, the need, but also how people can help because it is neighbors helping neighbors and together we will create a hunger free, healthy and thriving community.
Speaker 1: There you go appreciate where you do take care of yourself. Absolutely, that's looking at those numbers and I'm studying that. It's it's the ponderous.
Speaker 2: You know, He's right about it though. It's neighbors helping neighbors often times, and if you're down and out, you don't you know, feel good about life or whatever, go help somebody and it's going to make you feel better. That's step one really, absolutely, especially when there's so many I didn't know those numbers Sterling forty million on a regular day on a good during good times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot. That's a lot of people percent of America.
Speaker 2: And he and Kurt said, you know, basically the people that he sees often are are working parents.
Speaker 1: Either not able to work enough, not enough to skills to either find the job to pay them more, or because of circumstance and childcare cost or whatever. I mean the care it gets deep. It's not an easy solution, certainly, but I mean the land of plenty. We could feed the world. We talk about it, ADM slugline forever was what we feed the world. So not that this is on their shoulders. I love ADM. I don't need I don't need a big a conglomerate. All right, Norse, Sterling Doity coming back. We got a lot of fun. By the way, we'll talk on Halloween stuff it got. We're falling back tonight. By the way, yay Don is excited about the extra hour daylight in the morning. I still get up and it's dark, and then I go to bed and it's dark, and depending on my schedule, I'm still in the darker hell, I've been accused of being in the dark all the time. Actually, now that I think about it, it's Sterling Donna d coming back the Nation station on a beautiful Saturday, seven hundred WULW this weekend afternoon, the tri State November first, the falling back of the clocks. Now, we've been waiting for it all year. You want light in the morning, you get light in the morning.
Speaker 2: That's the best I am all here for every bit of it. I can't wait what happened to the whole? We're gonna leave it one way or the other way. I've talked about President Trump talked about this in his first term. Done, get it done. I'm the opposite of you. I like the change. I love it. Actually I want it sunnier in the morning. I do appreciate the extra hour because I've been working my tail off. Well, what do you do with it? Do you really sleep?
Speaker 1: I've never been able to get the extras and then and then the spring when we do it again the other way, I'm always so fearful that I'm gonna mess something up and not show up as promised as to appear, that I end up sleeping less. Even then, it's all going to kill me.
Speaker 2: Got your iPhone? You know exactly what time it is at all times.
Speaker 1: I have three clocks at my house yea to change.
Speaker 2: I car clock I have, Oh, I didn't count the car clock and the and the microwave in the stove. Those are the three.
Speaker 1: I got a couple. You're right, okay, So I have stove, I have a microwave. If I have a clock in the kitchen, that's three oh. I wonder I had these little teeny baby bluetooth like a stereo. Yeah, one of those like super sized hockey pucks. Yeah, in a couple of rooms. I don't know yet if they change on their own, it will really suck if they don't, because I don't remember how to change.
Speaker 2: Them, you know what. I honestly we were talking off air. I think I'm getting old. I did not recognize any costumes last night.
Speaker 1: Street nurse down the street. She was pushing a baby stroller. She had like a it was an anime kid thing, and then the other kid, who was a little older had and I was like, what's that?
Speaker 3: She goes, you won't know.
Speaker 2: What This one kid said to me, I said, what's this costume? And he goes, You're not going to know what it is? So I might how do we not know?
Speaker 1: And how did they know that we don't know? But the look on her face of like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I honestly feel like, because I'm not so so involved in all the superhero movies that are out all the time, I guess I don't. But I did notice these young girls. I had like three cute little girls that were Renaissance, the best women you know what wenches.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know if that's a good idea for the young girls.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I didn't. I was like, are you with the other crowd? And they were like no, I said, there were just two other It was so cute and funny and strange at the same time.
Speaker 3: That's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: And nobody was like snagging the bags as they were going through. They probably had like already like security and everything. Like when I was a kid, you always had to look out for older teenage kids who were just up to no good hooks.
Speaker 2: My sister was giving two and three. I'm like, can you save some candy for the kids that are coming down? But do you know what? I did see a couple of them. They they had pillowcases, remember, absolutely crap cases.
Speaker 1: It was like whatever, like, oh, I gotta get rid of anyone you use that, you use that. And then I had to look out for the older kids. Yeah, they were they were crap kids. And then Mom would go through the hit. We don't have time to get in this. We'll get into like the parents searching through their kids candies. I'm still convinced Mom have h and we're looking for razor. Blade, So she was getting all the good candy and now they're looking for gummies of another kind. After the news, more Sterling and Donna Deep Beautiful Saturday afternoon, seven hundred w U l W in charge producing And uh did.
Speaker 2: We hear Matt?
Speaker 3: Reason it was a Matt Reeves was at Sandy Collins.
Speaker 2: I heard both early. No, I didn't hear Sandy I did.
Speaker 1: I don't know that could be Uh maybe at Blenhead trauma be the reason? Why could be too much candy last night?
Speaker 2: Uh, this is this I had.
Speaker 1: I just finished last year's Halloween candy around the like August around fireworks, around Ebon fireworks because we don't get that many kids. And then this year I worked last night. It's not often that I'm on the air on a thanks or h Halloween, Thanksgiving I'll be on too, And so now I have two extra bags. And I found a new candy but Heath bar which is old.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, those used to be the best.
Speaker 1: I didn't even realize the bar. Yeah, I don't even remember if I ever tried it. It might be like as a kid that dark chocolate I hated. I hated anything that was like they put peanuts and was it mister Goodbar or something hated those?
Speaker 2: Oh man, those are the best, right, dark chocolate with peanuts. I'll take it. Once I grew up, I embraced the other and now I found the heat bar. It's horrible. Great for dentist though, because I think, yeah, they sticks, it's toffee. Yeah, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: I literally just opened whatever was in my hand and popped it into my head and took a big thing of coffee and I was like, well, this was really great.
Speaker 2: It's delicious. I used to go through I went through a Jolly Rancher phase and I went to the dentist and he stuck that thing and he was like, I was like, what's there, Jolly Rancher because it was sticky, and he just know that's called the cavity. I'm like, that's it. I am so done with Jolly Ranchers. I'm not eating again because they're sugar, sugar, sugar, they are. They're so good. I can have, you know, candy. We ran out of candy. I mean, you know, my sister was given everybody doubles and triples. I'm like, we ran out. I didn't even have one piece of candy. I that's you should see. That's done. I'll bring some. I didn't know that can only eat a certain kind. But back in the day Snickers, there was nothing better than a Snickers bar. How can you beat a Snickers bar? That's really difficult. It's got everything in there, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's either it's Halloween tonight or Triggers eating beggars night for some people around the tri stay too.
Speaker 3: We all brought the phones. Have a little fun with this.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about other stuff, but maybe we can, as you chime in, talk about the favor least favorite candies and all that. And parents. I remember my mom there was something going on where they were. There was rumors of you could bring your candy to the hospital to get an xt rade because people were somehow putting razor blades and like apples and stuff. Nobody wanted to get an apple in their bag anyway. It's like, Mom, you could have the apple blade or no blade. I don't want it. This is a candy day. I have to tell you this.
Speaker 2: So I was on a zoom yesterday for my work and we all had one from three to three thirty. It was our last for all of us our last zoom of the day. And Danny, who's the it guy, came in and he goes, you guys have to get potatoes because you put him put it next to your candy, your big jar of candy for the kids, and ask them do they want a piece of candy or do they want a potato? And he said every single one, one hundred percent when asked, the kid chose the potato. And I brought a potato last night. But but things were so hectic and it was so busy, I never asked one person.
Speaker 3: What's the point of having the I mean, I don't under candy.
Speaker 2: By the way, No it's not no imagine one individual potato.
Speaker 1: Or you could get little red potatoes. You could get those other little teeny minies.
Speaker 2: It was given out the big baked Yukon potato.
Speaker 1: Dude, where's the house, I'll go. I could do that now, throw some chops on the grill later in the world.
Speaker 2: So we all took pictures of our candy and potatoes. But what is the I mean, I don't understand it. But it was one hundred.
Speaker 1: Percent because they know they're getting candy everywhere else. I wonder how many potatoes ended up being tossed and thrown at other kids, and because you don't want to come home with that, Hey, I got a baked potato fores.
Speaker 2: Like I don't potato. It was as big ass. Yeah, I just did not understand it. And then every he's literally texted all of us this morning and said he was out of candy. No, he still had candy, and he had no more potatoes.
Speaker 3: So then what do you got to go back out here?
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 3: That is the weirdest thing ever I had. Uh.
Speaker 1: There was a neighbor about three blocks from the house that was a dentist. We lout in the apartments. The big houses were a couple of blocks away. The dentist would always give away uh, and we didn't we'd go down the block because they did all kinds of crazy big displays and so forth, which was awesome. It always had music, people like you were talking about in the neighborhood having brill out or whatever, barbecue pits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was tremendous.
Speaker 1: But he'd give away little baby like a toothpaste and toothbrushes, and it had like, you know, the information about his practice on there, But who the hell wanted that? I mean an eight year old sterling is not interested. Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: I already have a dentist. I'm not going give me candy.
Speaker 2: You gotta tell you that he gets. He gets some props for ingenuity. You know, I think it's great. I mean, market yourself wherever you can. I gotta know where the potato idea came. I don't know where that came from. And it's funny now, I'm never gonna look at Halloween candy. Back in the day a ritual with us because there were a lot of kids in my family, Like I have a lot of brothers and sisters, and we used to do everybody meet in the living room, unpack your pillowcase, put your candy around, and then we'd bargain. Sure, literally, it'd be like monopoly with candy. It was a trade war. It was literally, I'll give you because reces and Snickers were the hot commodities. So if you had a mounds bar, you had to put some skittles with that in a mounds bar to get a reesis like some people would be kit cats. Nobody liked in my family.
Speaker 3: No really, Oh man, I should have been hanging out.
Speaker 2: You know what was the big score? The big candy. Back then it was Nope, that was a good one way Milky Ways Snickers those good. But do you remember those big Marion bars, the twisty caramel. They looked like a pretzel they were. You don't remember the Marathon bars.
Speaker 3: I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: That's a high end. One house gated at. One giant house gave marathon bars. Everybody would go to this house. So if you got a Marathon bar that was equal to four other candies.
Speaker 1: See these people, they'd have a like lemonhead to now Laters, which, by the way, I sold in school between classes when I was a little kid.
Speaker 2: Uh Now and later were the bad.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever said now so you said it the way it's actually the name, But everywhere where I grew up it was now Laters. I don't know where that went. I didn't even realize that. I read it once. Somebody was like, what do you call it now later? Unless everybody else calls it now.
Speaker 2: Later, now and later because it lasts for so.
Speaker 1: Long unless you gnaw on it, and then it ends up like your jolly ranch. Yeah, your teeth five one, three, seven, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one. Curious about your candy? Situation. Have you given away potatoes? The other thing I could think it is weird, like Randy Michaels who used to own and run like what was j Core Clear Channel and in a minute, iHeart and so forth. Years ago, I remember hanging out and he had what I've now improvised and started to is a potato cannon, which would be that would be great as ammunition to like fire off the like potatoes.
Speaker 2: But I am dangerous though. Well it doesn't you don't have to fire it at people. Well what where would you fire it? In the woods? You're getting somebody who's in the wood, squirrels and rabbits, and.
Speaker 1: Some random squirrel gets hit by a flying potato, I'd say its time was up. I mean, that's just the way it goes. Man, Seriously, what you.
Speaker 2: Immediately go to the darkness, You're gonna kill a squirrel. Listen, those potatoes are heavy, and if they're being launched out of a cannon, you could really hurt somebody one pipe. You know you can make it. I remember that potato cannon thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, yeah, you get like a little red potatoes would be easier. Bruising is different and so for five one three, seven seven, eight hundred, the Big One if you're on the iHeartRadio app stry, which my mom does, so you can't. I mean she has trouble with other like she'll be can you.
Speaker 2: Fix the time? All the stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's texting and she's listening now, probably going why is he talking about me again?
Speaker 3: I don't sound that mom Sterling. Yeah, hey, mom Sterling.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: We got a Raphael first and then Mark was Sterling and Donnade on the Big One.
Speaker 2: Rafael, how are you?
Speaker 9: What's going on y'all? How's everything all good? Hey?
Speaker 2: Anybody in your neighborhood give away potatoes? Be night or anything else weird like that toothbrushious?
Speaker 10: Well, no, no potatoes, but there was one neighbor and she gave way pork chops, So I don't know what that.
Speaker 2: Oh, my good Sterling would love that. I would visit that house slightly hanging out. I bring potatoes.
Speaker 10: Well they were dipped in chocolate, so I don't know what that was about.
Speaker 9: But anyway, I don't know the candy.
Speaker 10: Yeah, my cavities are jumping up and down right now as we speak. But a good shot out sister down on that marathon yeah, waited go.
Speaker 2: I can't doesn't know that. That was a good one right there. And they were the they were the full marathon bars. Not the party was given.
Speaker 10: Those miniatures or half thousand, it was the full ones. And it would take you, they would take you a marathon to eat it because the caramel and the chocolate and plus they were like maybe a foot long.
Speaker 9: I don't know, but that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Candies, yes, it was right right.
Speaker 9: Did you guys ever get the chunky bar?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, chunky. I didn't like the original.
Speaker 9: We have to see. They used to make the all chocolate one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those were good and.
Speaker 10: And then it was so hard to find, but everybody, I don't know why they kept the raisins, but that all chocolate one that.
Speaker 9: Was that was a good one.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: You can't go wrong with the Three Musketeers.
Speaker 10: That's one of my go to and uh, well we would get whoppers as well, were good too.
Speaker 2: You like the nugetty and stuff that nugety that whatever that fig stuff in there, you.
Speaker 10: Get it and then throwing the throwing the classic hersy bar and you're good to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what's funny that the marathon was like a steak and potato candy bar. It was just giant. It was like stick thick and like you could it took your time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the chunky that one right there, I mean a pure classic, the marathon bar.
Speaker 3: That's I appreciate the com man.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's get to a mark on seven hundred WLW was Sterling and Donna d good candy, bad candy potatoes at the house mark. What are you giving away or what did you give away or get when you were a kid?
Speaker 7: Well, I was giving triggered treats out and stuff. And I live on the corner of a street and it's a long street and then the neighborhood runs down the other road. I had a couple of kids come out and they were like fifteen, sixteen, maybe one of them seventeen, all.
Speaker 2: Ground, get a job? What is what is? Go ahead? I'm so sorry, go ahead?
Speaker 7: Markin.
Speaker 9: They came to my back door.
Speaker 2: That's not.
Speaker 9: After after the time was over and stuff.
Speaker 2: What were they doing at your back door? What did they want?
Speaker 9: They wanted candy?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, So what what?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 11: Date?
Speaker 2: Because I had to I chat GPT this because this was kind of a discussion during work yesterday. At what age do you age out of trick or treating? I posted it on Facebook too, and you know everyone's like, no, we never age out, but you do well? You do? What do you think.
Speaker 9: Mark, thirteen fourteen?
Speaker 2: Maybe when you can go out and get the job. Sixteen really good. You got your own money, right, That's what I said. Twelve thirty under twelve You're good once you start getting I'm thirteen fourteen. Kids just start kids, just start feeling a little too old. I had somebody that had a beard like he literally had a beard.
Speaker 3: Not like with a knapstack acting like a hole though.
Speaker 12: I can believe that.
Speaker 2: I can believe that they had a couple of those Mark, Mark, great, cool.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it and good to talk to you, as always appreciated. Five point three seven seven eight hundred. The Big When I'm still processing, I have to look it up. We have the technology, we have the internet.
Speaker 2: Did you see the marathon idea? I've never had one of these. I cannot believe. And it literally says the long, chewy place of Heaven the marathon.
Speaker 1: Par that's pretty strong. This is for those who don't know. If you know, you know the deep purple knocking at your back door? So is it just tying in when the kids coming in the back door.
Speaker 2: I kind of film my sister, who is it? Who is this scary? Scary movie aficionado like my twin sister. I don't know how we're We're so much alike in so many ways, but horror films. She falls asleep too, like she watches the Hot Sleep No, So we had to have the tintinted. The Friday the thirteen, we had to play that on loop for the kids and scare of the kids. Last night especially, brought a ghost over at my house that walked up and I mean, the little cute little girl goes, I'm afraid of that thing, and we were like, oh, it's just a prop, it's not Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: She could to scare the kids though. I mean, I mean I used to love it. I mean I can remember being scared of a few places. And those are the good memories. I mean, seriously, I mean going out trig or treating and so we're the longest the bad appen.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I've been to so many of those members The Haunted House on the River we used to do all the time. That was crazy. I did a couple of those and.
Speaker 1: Was like, that's it all. The the bar tress pretty good. I'm more Sterling and Donnade coming back. Oh, by the way, we'll talk to doctor Anne Romaker from u SEE Health. She's a sleep expert. Falling back to night time. There are health issues associated with it, how to navigate it. Car crashes go up, people have more heart attacks with the time change. The extra hour, you think you'd benefit from it. Donna gets the sleep. I want my hour. More Sterling and Donnade coming back seven hundred w l w SEE a medical center for sleep medicine. I will talk on health issues and sleep dysfunction into the time change, which can be a big problem. It's a killer for some people literally, not just figuratively, Like I don't know how to deal with the darkness, like some people you know, don't make it.
Speaker 13: Yeh.
Speaker 2: You're looking forward to talking to her. We've interviewed her before and she's fantastic, she really is.
Speaker 1: But Mark wasn't finished earlier. I have a premature hanging up problem on people, and it's not I don't listen to Mark. Let me just tell you, and I apologize. I don't even answer. I don't even answer my personal phone. The only phone I answer is this phone, which does.
Speaker 2: Not because he never picks up when I call him. Whatever, don't come on, iright, just stop.
Speaker 1: This is about Mark. This is Mark's time. What else did you have besides the kids.
Speaker 2: Coming to your back to finish my story quickly? Kids?
Speaker 7: When these grown up kids came to my back door after hours, I told them, no, it's after hours, and ain't you guys a little old to be doing that? They walked off in discuss and we want to we want to roll along with our evening. And I woke up the next morning and they stole my car?
Speaker 2: Are kidding me? How do you know they did it? They called him.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: Gosh, wow, we really cut you off with that portion of that story.
Speaker 7: You go after I told them, no, you guys are too old for this, and why are you at my back door? I was like, well, they we went to bed, and I went up to go to work in the morning and my car.
Speaker 2: Was gone alone.
Speaker 1: Instead of doing you should have given them the problem. It used to be toilet paper. Now that they boost your car, Mark, that's terrible, but at least you got it back.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, and a very funny story.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's not like my buddy Mike had his car stolen. They took it for a joy ride. The insurance company literally was we'll get you a check for the whole thing as a total loss. And that afternoon, if I'm not mistaken, cops called and said, we found your car in an alley. They just took it for a joy ride and left it trashed. And they were like, yeah, we're not paying for the whole thing. Just one more day, Just one more day you would have been paid. Let's get Martha and Bridgetown quickly before we stopped for your four o'clock report.
Speaker 3: Martha, what do you have? You're was stirling and down a d on the big one.
Speaker 14: Oh, I love you guys on the weekend.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 14: Listen to you every weekend for sure.
Speaker 2: That can.
Speaker 14: But my uncle John used to rent a hot dog stand and put it at the to this driveway and he would have us the thought dogs on this this thicket and then we he would buy I don't know how many gallons of apple cider and he would have it was like a party, and everybody started like with him and and it was such a joy to witness happy people with and it wasn't candy. It was like a hot dog with mustard or kept up or whatever you wanted, a.
Speaker 1: Potato at one house, apple hot dog at your uncle's place, you know. And then I get nowt in a marathon.
Speaker 14: I know, well, I was just honored to help them get you know, stuff ready and stuff. And he was actually a physician. He was tall, and he would cut off his day on Halloween halfway so that he could make sure that the hot dogs stand was ready to go, and while the episoder was ready, and I mean it was it was different, but fun kid knew where to go first.
Speaker 2: Memory.
Speaker 14: I know, Martha, thank you and it just takes my heart and I love you guys, thank you too.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it to Martha. That's tremendous. Yeah, that's good. And Dennis doing it too. He didn't give toothbrushes though. It goes now straight away doctor and Romaker talking sleep disorder, dysfunction and falling back in time tonight.
Speaker 3: I don't know where the hell the hour goes.
Speaker 1: It's Stirling and Donnade, home of the best Bengals coverage on those football bear Cats with a ten to fifteen kickoff tonight seven hundred falling back tonight we get a next hour. I don't know where it goes. I don't know where the time really started. Does anyone really know what time it is? And asking that for a year? I love it. And uh, you sleep with the extra.
Speaker 2: Hour, Well, it's you know, I have trouble sleeping period and it's so hard, but I do like to add the extra hour because I will just lay and so you wake up at the same time.
Speaker 1: But then you just take that hour and just sort of like meditate kick Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I meditate most days, so you know, I like an extra hour before I have to get up and start doing stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I try it. I mean it's weird.
Speaker 1: I don't like when I was a kid and you know, teenager through college, I would just wake up and roll right out of bed into whatever I had to do. I like having hours of time to like just last for.
Speaker 2: A second, you gotta I watched the whole thing with uh, who's the guy from Amazon Bezos? Yes, Jeff Bezos, and he said I like to putter in the morning, and I like to read all my papers. I like to I do the same. I love, like, you know, having a cup of tea or a cup of coffee and tell out. So when the time change is here's what happens. I'll get up, I'll look at the phone and it'll be like five instead of six, and I'll go, oh, man, I got an extra hour, and I'll roll over and just try and fall back to sleep. Good for you.
Speaker 1: I do not have that experience historically. I just wake up and I'm awake, and then I'm like, well, now what do I do?
Speaker 2: I said, I try to go back to that.
Speaker 1: But you've seemed so bessful, and we were talking about it off the air, and you deal, I love the extra hour.
Speaker 2: It was the first thing out of your mind. I love the extra hour. I love the extra hour, and I like it being sunny in the morning. Eight o'clock this morning, it was.
Speaker 1: Still dark out, always sunny, always fill with great information and a woman who knows what to do with the extra hour because she studies the sleep. She's a professor a clinical of a clinical direction at University of Cincinnati Medical Center Sleep Medicine Sciences.
Speaker 3: She's the boss. She's doctor Ann Romaker.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to seven hundred WLW with Sterling and Donnade. What do you do with that extra hour tonight? Are you rested, relaxed? You like me in search of like the dead letter, knie moy and miserable.
Speaker 13: It depends on the day, you know.
Speaker 11: Some years, if I've been kind of sleep deprived, I roll over and go back to sleep, and others.
Speaker 13: I'm awake and I go down and I.
Speaker 11: Start reading the paper and I put her around and I think, oh, I'm just wasting this time.
Speaker 13: I should be doing something useful, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't have to because it's an extra That's right, That's exactly fight well, that's how I look at it.
Speaker 3: You have to work on that.
Speaker 1: So we've talked over the years, doctor Romaker about the health ramifications, because a lot of people it's like, we just don't like emotionally to get up and have it be dark when we go to work or school or whatever, and then you come home and then it's dark on the way home. That is emotionally taxing. It's depressing a lot of people with seasonal affected disorder or whatever that goes along with that. But car crashes happened, heart attacks happen, whether you spring your head or fall back. What is the gen as of that problem? Because it just seems to me it's just an hour. How can it be so deadly and problematic?
Speaker 11: Because your brain and your body know that it's not supposed to be up, it's not supposed to be doing what it's doing right then, you know, when you didn't have clocks, right, you just got up and you did your thing when you had to do it, Your your biorhythms just sort of got into it the way the planet was working, and you just did your thing. So when we decided, when we invented clocks and we invented toime, we sort of started marking time in a more more.
Speaker 13: General way.
Speaker 11: We came up with this standard time to match the way our bodies worked. So every time we change it, we're changing it from you know, when we go to daylight savings time, it's not the way the body generally works. But once you get used to it and you change back, now you you know it's not it's not what it's now gotten used to. We know that when you are traveling, for instance, your sleep can change and you you can kind of get used to about an hour a day when you're young, when you get older, it may take three or four days. But you know, every organ in your body has a clock, and they don't all change at the same rate. So like if you make a big trip, it can take three months before all of your all of the systems in your body are now back on the same clock. So we are, you know, we're really a complicated organism. There's lots and lots and lots of parts and lots of systems and they all have to work together, and if they're off, even by a little bit, we don't feel good.
Speaker 2: Doctor Ann, what would you suggest how to quiet the mind? Because I wear myself out in the day, I really, I really do. I work out, I meditate, I have a full job and other things, and I at the end of the day, I have no problem falling asleep for the most part. But I wake up like at midnight or one, and I am wide awake and my brain is firing at all cylinders and I literally have to put on my this is terrible because it's blue light and everything else my iPhone and I'll put on like a Frasier episode, which is my favorite sitcom, and I'll have it on in the background to try and just have the noise, so it quiets my mind a little bit, but it also wakes me up at the same time. What would you suggest doing.
Speaker 13: Well, actually, what you're doing is actually kind of close to something that would work.
Speaker 11: How about that instead of using it on your phone, cast it onto the TV or cast it onto the wall so it'll be far enough away that the blue light won't bother you. Well, I used to be farther away from it so that the blue light doesn't actually hit your rut out that close and reset your clock. The other thing to do is just to set it so that you've just got noise in the background, so you can, you know, just block the picture and just have audio. Most people do who need noise in the background do better with something like a noise machine, you know, where you just you can pick which you want to listen to, whether it's.
Speaker 2: Waves or rain sounds. I do put rain sounds on, or you know, have that go all the time.
Speaker 13: Have it going all the time, right, but.
Speaker 2: Then it changes from one one thunderstorms and it gets louder and wakes me up, or you know, the birds will come in.
Speaker 11: And well, it depends on it depends on what you use, because there are a number of alarm clocks that will just have five settings and they stay the same all night, so that when you wake up, you have the same constant noise to you know, go back to sleep with. I've had some other people who picked podcasts and that they they'll even you know, record them or have them on and it's podcasts. I've had a few of them who tell me they do great with it in another language.
Speaker 13: Somebody who's just got a.
Speaker 11: Very melodious voice, so they don't really listen to what they're saying, but they just like, you know, the timber of this, they just listened.
Speaker 1: There were so many of my classes in school that it was just like they were talking another language.
Speaker 3: Anyway. I'm like, I have no idea what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: I've never heard the word melodious used melody as a verb, and that is pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: I was strong. I will embrace that.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm.
Speaker 13: Married to a musician. I'm all over the melodious.
Speaker 2: Well, I was married to a musician and I never heard that either.
Speaker 1: You know, but there was something about that, the melody and the rhythm of music, and that is function of our life, from our heartbeat and our brain and everything else, and you mentioned other elements in our body. Organs all have their own clocks. Are they different clocks? Is it music related? Because the music outside there is a rhythm to the birds and animals. We are just a part of that too, yes, well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and your brain. There's something called the you know, the slow oscillator.
Speaker 11: So all of our rhythms actually are entrained to the slow deep oscillator that sort of starts off with one to two cycles per second, and it's just slowed in there, and.
Speaker 13: All the other rhythms will sort of come off of that.
Speaker 11: And so there, yeah, there, that's where you have all sorts of music and other things that help us slow down. And it does help us sort of entrain to a slower rhythm. It helps us get together, It does help all of nature sort of does it in music. The whole planet does sort of vibrate along sort of various frequencies. But I'm not going to as a sleep physician, I'm not going to. I really not qualified to go into the metaphysical aspects.
Speaker 1: I just thought, you know the one I thought, I'm great. By the way, Doctor Anne Romaker is the boss of the University of Cincinnati, a medical sleep center and talking about the falling back in time and how it affects us and so forth. You mentioned this slow oscillator. It sounds like something that like my mom would tell me that when she went to get her car fixed, they told her they needed to replace that, like the flux capacitor.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I think you need to leave that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a legit spot for you to be getting your car fixed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a slow oscillator.
Speaker 1: It's going to take us two three days, and the tariffs have jacked up the price.
Speaker 3: It's too much.
Speaker 2: What do you think it means? Like, you know, doctor Anne, because you're human, you're also a sleep expert. When you know I can't fall asleep. I wake up at midnight and I can't back to sleep. And you know if you go and eat a little something it will put you to sleep well, And because I know you're not and I don't want to, but I don't want to also, you know, sit and toss and turn for two or three hours. What is it about, like eating cereal or you know what I mean? Something that helps you go to fall back asleep?
Speaker 13: Well, most of us don't get up and eat. So I have never gotten up at night and eaten anything, So you.
Speaker 2: Shirling is nodding at me the entire time I got cheerios yogurt.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a hotel or someplace thinking of a summer house in the futures that crack my chest plate open.
Speaker 3: But anyway, go ahead, go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: So generally we do know that carbohydrates, you know, people after after eating carbohydrates are more likely to be sleepy during the day. And that may be something that you know you're looking for, or it can be a learned behavior, especially if.
Speaker 13: You know and certain families.
Speaker 11: Growing up, they'll have you know, if you got up during the night, your parents or whatever say we'll here have a snack, and people you know, you start associating the snack with relaxing and glass to sleep. That can become a self fulfilling prophecy. Yes, but it's kind of better to it's it's healthier and for a couple of other couple of reasons to use something else, because eating at night it throws off a bunch of other biorhythms.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, that's when your body is supposed to rest from digestion and everything else.
Speaker 11: God is not supposed to be at work, and you're supposed to write, and you're supposed to be repairing things. You're supposed to be at rest, and you're you're not supposed to be getting sugar. There that you're what you're eating then sort of goes directly to.
Speaker 2: I'm a mess. I am a mess. But I mean it's not.
Speaker 11: So it would actually doing things like there's something called hasa gentle Yoga which actually helps you go to sleep, and you know you can learn that on YouTube.
Speaker 13: Doing that in the middle of the night to help you go back to sleep.
Speaker 11: This is really going to put on the deep gong sort of thing that's sort of nice.
Speaker 2: No, this is actually getting comical because I am a yoga instructor. To I swear talk, I am your problem child, talk to her, and but I do I do remember and if I can remember to not forget this, Uh, the heart chakra or the chakras when you do it on YouTube and you you put that om and they have that which will connect to one of your chakras that you need. And maybe I should do my intuition chakra, the third eye chakra because my mind just wakes up so much that it would be good to play that instead of for some cereal or something particle.
Speaker 1: I'm a fan of the cereal, though. Chakra or no chakra, I don't even know what the chakra is whatever. I went out with a girl.
Speaker 2: Named Chocolates, and many wheels you have in your body in the seven major centers, they're called chakras, just helping you.
Speaker 1: Out, and Lord knows I need the help, doctor an Romaker. I'm curious also about about like say, shift workers. I mean here at the radio station. You know Tom Brennaman's up, he goes to bed or gets up about the time I'm going to bed oftentimes, and you know, doing mornings, and you got like sloany, then he got well, all of us at different times of the day, all the way through with Edd and Rock and then Lance and then me, Gary, Jeff, Dan Carroll, et cetera. All these different people different times. You working in the University of Cincinnati, and you think emergency rooms weird schedules with doctors, nurses. There are people that have these habits or train themselves to be able to navigate the schedule of a different time. Are some people more maybe able to navigate that and train their bodies compared to others, or some people just not wired that way. Is there something that you can do to help maybe mitigate some of the pain and suffering that's associated with it as you maybe drive around or feel overly tired during the day when you should be up doing something.
Speaker 11: Actually, you hit the nail on the head. Some people biologically are able to do it and some people can't. And so you'll see between the ages of forty and fifty they will generally sort themselves out and find another job. And so there are people who can do it, and they are able.
Speaker 13: To trying to wait are comfortable.
Speaker 2: I'm not one of those people say drinks and not alcohol.
Speaker 13: Drinks not alcohol, but you know, chocolate milk could be good.
Speaker 3: I love chocolate.
Speaker 11: So, but people who there are a number of people who are adaptable and they can, you know, help them.
Speaker 13: They can.
Speaker 11: Adapt to a schedule. There are some who do it readily and there are some who just can't. But if you're one of the people who can be adaptable, you follow a regular schedule and then something that will help with those for all of us who are just going to move to the new.
Speaker 13: Times schedule tomorrow. Light exposure is a big deal.
Speaker 11: So like tomorrow morning, when you get up, one of the things that will be very helpful is to turn on all the lights in the room that you're in. Get bright light for at least thirty minutes of the first sixty minutes that you're up. So when people who are working shift work, they need to use bright light for when they're getting for what their morning.
Speaker 13: Is going to be.
Speaker 11: And the biggest, the biggest thing for them if they can, is to keep the same schedule on their off days as when they're working. And that becomes easier as you get older. It's very hard to do that when you have things to do with your family and of course your children and you know your the rest of your family tends to stay on the day shift and that's harder to uh. And you still want to go and interact with them. So that's where the biggest problem is for people doing shift work is that they have to keep going back and forth rather than just staying at one.
Speaker 13: You know, one day or night shift.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Always great information, UH and you know you do good things where it's helping people with snoring or sleep at NIA the excess of daytime sleepiness, a restless leg syndrome. Wan to talk about that sometime with them hoppy legs or whatever else.
Speaker 2: They go pair socks. There you go.
Speaker 1: That helps as well. Always a pleasure to talk to you. People can find out more good. You see how search sleep medicine or doctor roadmaker and you can find doctor and roadmaker. Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy the extra hour. I will try to embrace the getting up and just soaking it in and then we'll see how it goes. All right, take care, doctor and roadmaker. You see how sleep medicine boss.
Speaker 2: There you goelted from that talking about this leap, well, I mean it's not good for people driving right now listening. I mean, I really am going to remember the chakra thing because that did help me.
Speaker 3: I could use an adjustment.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I could just get the six hours full six hours. Where do you go to get the seven hours? You go to YouTube. All you have to do is put in hard chakra heart chakra sound music, hard shock, shaka smart. That's a basketball coach, totally different thing. Stirling Donna d coming back four thirty to report Matt Reese has no Saturday afternoon. Bear Cats play here tonight, seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Afternoon in the Tri State. Skirling and Donade hanging out. Glad you're along, whatever you're doing. Falling back tonight, get an extra hour to sleep if you if you can or not. And maybe you don't even have to touch any clocks in this modern world, which is nice.
Speaker 2: You got the microwave and you got the stove. You got to do those two and the car clock. But usually it's just like.
Speaker 3: A just it's a correct day.
Speaker 2: Like daylight savings, enter time, standard time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you forget and then to show up everywhere early.
Speaker 2: You still have your iPhone, You still have your.
Speaker 3: Phone, that's true. This is one of those things. Real quick.
Speaker 1: Here by the way, football bear Cats tonight primetime for the West Coast, late night kickoff here in the Tri State. Ten to fifteen, full on coverage with Chick love Wick. A little bit later, Bearcat's taken on Utah utes number seventeen, bear Cats twenty four utes Ohio State earlier thirty eight to fourteen win over Penn State up in Columbus. West Virginia got by Houston FC Cincinnati tomorrow. It's the second leg of the round of sixteen taking on Columbus and that's up at their place lower dot Com Field, downtown Columbus, and the hell is real, I guess part two of that and lots going on, so, I mean, you know, and then the hooday one o'clock tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 2: Last Sunday was heartbreaking. I left right before the end of the game. I got to I was playing tennis and I got to Harper and literally they said, did you see I said, yeah, the Bengals were up. No they lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not good.
Speaker 2: It's bad.
Speaker 1: Blacko's got the shoulder things. So hopefully he's sort of questionable, maybe a question mark for tomorrow, but hopefully he's feeling good and if not, Jake Browning hopefully get his mind right with his body and function since he's had a couple of weeks to reevaluate and sort of put it back together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope if he does go in that he he can redeem himself because that's got to be hard, you know. Speaking of which, because you see football, I was I'm normally on now Saturday nights nine to midnight with my relationships. Yeah, and it's trying to fix people. Well, we just talk about what's important, because we know that the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your relationships. So it's important to like dive in and figure out what's going on with not just your spouses and not just you know, but your mom, your mom, your the daughter, mom, the the dad's son, you know, every relationship that you have, including coworkers, which we're going to dive into next Saturday night. But we had a last Saturday. We had a funny topic because I was watching this Instagram video where this guy went up all these guys were shopping at a big box store, right, and he went up and said, how a scale of one to ten, he asked all these guys, how fun is it to shop with your wife at you know, fill in the blank, costco wherever you want, a home depot whatever. Nine out of ten said, what's less than zero? They didn't like shopping with their their partners, what they're like their girlfriend whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't think most guys shop for fun. We shopped to get our stuff and go home.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 1: Shopping and driving cars which or trucks whatever is I mean that's enjoyable.
Speaker 3: Then it's like, let's get a deal done in go home.
Speaker 2: Yes, I understand that, but if you hate it so much on a scale of one to ten and it's a zero, I mean all the guys asked, all the guys that were asked said zero, right or what or worse? Except for this one guy where he was like, oh, I like it. Why would you do something? Why? And if like so, if I was with a guy and he hated doing it like that, I would say go home and I'll take care of the shopping.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because you're a prize. But we go because it's just you know, we've got to go. Sometimes you guys want us to go and do things, and sometimes you just take one for the team. It doesn't mean we have to have fun. I mean you want to.
Speaker 2: I mean because it doesn't have to be hell on earth either. I mean literally, if you're miserable, don't do it. Help me unload the car when I get home, and you can do whatever you want, right. I wouldn't want I't want anyone to be with me and have it miserable. I'd just be like gome. I'm just.
Speaker 1: It's just never been a recreational thing for me to shop. I mean, it's it can be well, no, I I get that, I totally. I mean, and I've worked in retail. I've worked, you know, in business to business stuff, so I know what it's about. And we are consumer society. It's not I'm not saying I don't want to buy things. I just want to get my things and get out. I don't you know what I mean. This is not a luxurious activity. But I will say this, shopping for women is different than men. I can remember being a little kid going downtown with her, taking the bus and going up to one of the department stores, and I was small, and it was a lounge, and there were like they were at the time.
Speaker 3: This is to give you age here.
Speaker 1: They were like smoking cigarettes, They had drinks, there were sacks, Yes, there were sofas and chairs. I mean, it was a whole thing. Where our world is gon I'd never seen anything like that. Then I got old enough to go the bathroom on my own, where she didn't have to worry about me being snatched or whatever. The guys' facilities are not like that. We don't have a lot. We don't want to lounge necessarily like that either. Close as we get to it is outside the fitting room where we will sit or stand holding our devices by ourselves or in a group, looking at the monitors that are on the wall conveniently placed as we wait outside to hear. How does this look on me? Come in here and let's take a look at this. That's that's that's the experience. I can't speak for anyone.
Speaker 2: Like all right, So if you're going to say, a Costco or a grocery store or Kroger whatever, right, couldn't you First of all, you're getting up and out of the house and you're getting your steps in so you can monitor that they usually have some sort of like snacks there, like some you know, display of some samples or something. Plus they have like you know, you can get t shirts and you know, kind of fun kind of stuff too. Why is it so much?
Speaker 1: But again you added fun to the event. Listen, I want let's open the phone up and see if that the people have to say, because now.
Speaker 2: I feel like from these guys, well, yeah, we want to hear from you and what your experience is like shopping, men, women, et cetera. Five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred. The big one.
Speaker 1: You pick up the phone, you give it the finger, talk back the iHeartRadio app if you're on the X or Twitter. Not not necessarily the nineties party drug at Stirling Radio. I mean kind of curious one. When you shop, do there's a guy that you're with, have fun and have a good time. Uh, And it is a shopping an entertainment activity because I've never looked at feel you know when it's an entertainment activity when it's like, uh, something that I'm really into getting, like a new TV or yes, absolutely maybe sporting because you know we're going up to the fishing store up the road. They're not paying his bass pro shops whatever it is, right, you get the idea that's a fun activity. And my guess is that if you the guy you're with dragged you to that spot and someone said, hey, how much are you having?
Speaker 3: Probably not a lot.
Speaker 2: I put my head, my earbuds on and listen to some music. The majority of the callers that called in last Saturday night said because they would get in trouble if they didn't go. The woman they give a problem. Yeah, the woman would be upset if they didn't want to go the.
Speaker 1: Words, she'd get a case of like the chap backside and make it uncomfortable. Yes, which is why is a partner. You do what you need to do to keep her happy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go. I would just put my headset on and go by myself.
Speaker 1: I got you, I got you. I mean I listen. I'm not good at it. I have wrecked everything I've ever been a party to. This is the best, this in the turtle that I've had since I was eight years old. Yeah, this is And you're laughing. How sad is that is? Three hours a week? Sometimes? No, I totally get it. To Montgomery and Linda with Starling and Donna Dee on the Big One. Is shopping fun for you and your other half?
Speaker 2: No, we don't do it. Yes, not do it because of him, because the kids were little.
Speaker 8: It's only because he's in a babysitter. If I shop for two hours, that's a lot. And we do not go together, and that's because we don't want to.
Speaker 6: There's I don't need him with me when I.
Speaker 8: Go shopping, and he doesn't need me with him when he goes shopping.
Speaker 11: It's just simple.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't get it. I don't know why these guys go if they're going to be miserable about it. I I really don't make us miserable if we don't disagree. But look at you.
Speaker 1: You and Honor are unicorn. I don't know if unicorn or unicorns is correct plural, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Called Webster's I'll take that anyway.
Speaker 8: I just had I just had to say that.
Speaker 13: I just look.
Speaker 8: I look at those people like their unicorns.
Speaker 13: Just like to go shopping together.
Speaker 2: Why good?
Speaker 1: So when you've gone, here's the question, because I will admit this that, like, if she is on the hunt and has things to do and she's gonna take her time, I will be distracted by shiny objects around, whether if it is the electronics area or maybe there's a hunting section, whatever it is. Even hot wheels and toys in legos will get my attention. And then she just has to text me and go where are you? I thought you were gonna And I'm like, yeah, let me go grab that.
Speaker 2: It's too much work, isn't it, Linda? Somebody got to you much.
Speaker 1: But see that's the one I'm talking about. Linda, great call, Thank you, I appreciate it. See, but see she's different like you. In that Jay you're with Sterling and donnade On the big one in and out or do you make a day of it where it's fun and a good time.
Speaker 15: Well, I kind of, well I'm pretty much in and out. But like even sometimes they get distracted by other things or whatever. But here's my But why don't have to bring up this is? I remember when people used to go to baseball games. People just used to watch baseball. Baseball is boring, and now they put all some other stuff around it. So people get purist as they call them, can go and watch a baseball game, like they can bring people with them, and they can go hang out of the you know, the craft cocktail area.
Speaker 9: Or whatever they want to do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: Sure, I think it's kind.
Speaker 15: Of comparable one for the other, but just kind of that's what you make of it.
Speaker 1: I guess it's an enhanced experience, I think is what the language is. They do we have an enhanced shopping experience for you?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well no, And I I love that comparison, Jay, because you're saying, you know, if you want to hang out and you want to go see your big baseball fan, but your your woman is not, make it enjoyable for her and she'll go with you.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 9: They want to.
Speaker 15: Yeah, like exactly if she's not so much into baseball and her friends so much baseball on seas with her significant dollar, you know, they can hang out together and just go, you know, walk around the park with all the like the history museum and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love that I appreciate it and that that is fantastic. And you think about the Great American Ballpark as a kid, when I was going as a child to what was Riverfront and Synergy, Uh, they did not have all those things, even for kids. There are so many different activities and things to part of the brings you in, to embrace the activity, the experience, the brand.
Speaker 2: Well, I think whoever started marketing craft cocktails for women, that was a good call. That was an excellent call.
Speaker 3: Cocktails always good.
Speaker 2: Graft cocktails. I'll tell the card dd let's.
Speaker 1: Do it drinks for all my friends to Georgetown with Mike and Sterling and donnad show here on a Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: What do you have, Mike.
Speaker 16: Yeah, if me and my wife go out and it's like a department store that has like a men's section, I will go to the men's section.
Speaker 8: She'll go do her thing and then we'll meet.
Speaker 9: Up later on.
Speaker 16: But if the game is on, I will sit there with the car all day long and then just brought the phone up and watched the game the whole time.
Speaker 2: Mike, let me ask you this because this would drive me absolutely insane. Right, So you're there and you and your spouse is trying to call you, but you've got like twelve missed calls because you haven't been paying attention to your phone. Does that happen to you?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 2: Not, really good for you?
Speaker 17: Usually?
Speaker 16: Usually, if we all like at TJ Max, I'll just go hunt her down and then see if she's ready to go. If she's not, I'll go wander off again.
Speaker 2: I'll period check in, just wondering aimlessly. If you are with your spouse, to periodic check ins and try and find them. And remember you're with somebody, you're with somebody. You gotta check your phone.
Speaker 3: A good call, make thank you.
Speaker 1: You know you think about that if you walk around any big store and you look at the little kids when they're on their own, roaming around in that look of theirs, looking for people that are familiar, whatever phone in their hand or not.
Speaker 3: A lot of us guys have the same look.
Speaker 1: We don't throw out of that unless we are distracted to Kenwood who may be shopping now. I don't know, Chris, your with Sterling and Donna d on the Big One. Is shopping a fun time in a group setting like that where you're like, I can't wait to get out there and have a good time.
Speaker 3: This is so much fun? Or are you a hunter or gather?
Speaker 5: Well? Sterling hint, Donna d all I can tell you is we divide and conquer. I don't know if you guys go to you know, Sam's Club or Costco going there, there are some people that just gawk around, get in your way everything else. I mean, we're almost besides ourselves sometimes. So she does Costco and I do SAMs, and you know what, we have the rest of the day for ourselves.
Speaker 1: This day, I got a plan that teamwork. That's balanced. That's a healthy relationship.
Speaker 2: But he's happy in that scenario too.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Chris, appreciate it absolutely. Thanks guys, appreciate you listening to being a part of the show. What about you do you shop? Is it fun? And I'm good for consumerism. I like to buy things and keep money moving around that's great for the economy. That's why we're here where we bring a large audience to commercials, to people that are here that are running businesses, that employ people that want money of their own to spend. We're all just one big team. It's a beautiful thing. That's how I look at our society just in general.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But when you're out and about, I mean, is it an entertainment good time or is it just I'm.
Speaker 3: Practical about it. I want to get it and get caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you can have fun, but if you're if you're not having fun, tell your be honest. To be honest, you can only fake so much. Is usually pretty boring.
Speaker 18: Unless it's like you're shopping for something you're actually interested in looking at.
Speaker 2: That's when it's fun. That's good.
Speaker 3: So you've experienced this too, So do you fake it?
Speaker 2: Do you make it? As they say?
Speaker 18: You're just kind of I just kind of tag along. I say nothing and I'm just let her do her thing. Just don't don't intervene. If she's happy, just don't say a word.
Speaker 3: Well, can I get an ice cream?
Speaker 7: Can I?
Speaker 9: Can? I?
Speaker 2: Can I get a soft I'll wander off if I want to I'm a grown man. I can handle it. That's what I'm talking about. Tie balloon to my wrist or something and case lose me. But that you literally look at yourself phones. But I would tell you right now. I and Linda apparently the other woman that called in the show does not like it. If you're gonna go and not be happy about it, I agree with Linda on that me too. Sometimes you just gotta fake it. It's not rather you're not fake it. Guys. You don't like it when it's faked on you. Women don't like it if it's faked on us.
Speaker 3: Well, in the end, who are you helping by faking it?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 3: Right, because you went somewhere else altogether.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean, what are we talking faking?
Speaker 3: It's never good.
Speaker 2: It's never good. It is never good. You can try and and do it, but they'll be holding resentment afterwards.
Speaker 3: Gotta let it be some kind of just let that, let it go, just let it out.
Speaker 1: Mister McMahon making all kinds of sense with Stirling and Donnade on a Saturday afternoon, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: It'll be a big twelve grid iron Jim. When you see heads WestEd.
Speaker 1: Donna de hanging out five o'clock Report, just two minutes away, Matt Reese disseminating man his quantities of information to feed your brain about what the hell was going on around planet Earth.
Speaker 3: What you look troubled when I said that.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just thinking about are it's a callback because we had a sleep expert on and we're you know, we're moving forward, which is great because we all get another hour and I'm just trying to slow my brain down a little bit so I can get some really good sleep.
Speaker 1: Tonight's got a stranglehold on your mind. So that's a tie back to the terrible Ted NuGen. We just heard a little of He's up in Michigan, probably right now, hunting like Borr or something or I don't know if I think he's living up there and maybe Texas.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't It's not like I'm stalking him.
Speaker 2: I followed Ted Nu. Yeah, what do you say? Liked him? I never liked to miss an artist, never liked with him. I never I never like Ted Nudgen's I don't even know once. I'm sure there's I don't know, scratch fever o cat scratch fever. Yes, thank you, Sean. I do know that one. That's like the only song I know.
Speaker 3: That's okay, that's okay. It was with a boy Dukes and all that. That's fine.
Speaker 1: You know you don't remember that one. That's okay, it's all right, you don't have to. I don't know how we ended up here. This is not what our plant.
Speaker 2: We talk about.
Speaker 13: Something out.
Speaker 2: I don't even know now what to self. Don't use Ted Nugent bumpers for down, please, Sean, please. I never liked him. I don't. That's a sick though, it is it is. I mean, you just sting to Is that Ted nug that lay in that rift? Okay? Yeah, he's a guitar player. Yeah, you're a musician. You like musician dudes, Yes, I do. You're a musician. Your side. I love musicians, and you're everything I am. Not everything, that's true. No, I'm just joking. Fine, we've had such a fun show today, which is great.
Speaker 1: We got an hour to try to make sense of this world, or as ken Brew likes to say that I do. But I think with you here, I'm less of a troublemaker. I don't know that I've ever really caused any problems, no comment. All right, it's time for news. Sterling and Donnade coming back with Bengals play here Tomorrow's got the best Bengals coverage taken on those Bears, Hey, Corp. We'll see a flack of his arm holds up. Uh, you get the bear Cats on the road, taking on the utes tonight late night here on the big One. Dan Horde's gonna fly from Utah back to Cincinnati to do that game tonight and then tomorrow with effectively. I hope he can sleep on a plane. We talk about losing an hour as we whine and cry and bitch and moan about our hour, that we get the extra hours we fall back. He needs about three or four hours. Let's hear how he sounds tomorrow, because he's always the man, always a professional.
Speaker 2: But that's just crazy, Hey, aren't we supposed to be playing Christmas songs already? Sean can listen. There's got to be at least one Christmas song. It's after holloween broadcast.
Speaker 1: Sheriff is not here, but I know that he has an edict about holiday music that starts around July. Now we're late for no reason at all, and Matt Reeves has already told me I owe him like an hour and a half worth of a minute. He is an award winning a newsman and he's got it right here in the Home of the Rets, the bear Cats, the Musketeers and the Bearcats and me, Sirling and Donna d seven hundred double lub Cincina.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, they beat the Reds.
Speaker 1: So it's I guess you'd maybe prefer to lose to a team who goes all the way and gets the rings and the team that loses maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not suggesting that the Dodgers are choking.
Speaker 1: No, I was just disgusted by the fault of it not being our writs. I'm glad they held on last night. That ball that got stuck under the fence there in the padding was the weirdest thing I think I've ever seen, maybe never in a World Series.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Game seven to night, who who's gonna win? Take the prediction the Dodgers are gonna win. I think one of them. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought that. I thought the Dodgers are just gonna go in there, and it didn't. It's been a great World Series.
Speaker 2: It has been very good it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: We'll see how it goes. And bear Cats on the Road tonight. They kick off ten fifteen, so you can get a little of everything. Bengals tomorrow, Sterling and Donna Dean now and we talk about relations a lot. We were just talking about relationships here just a little bit ago, with shopping and all the stuff. You've got your Saturday night show when bear Cats aren't playing or whatever else doing relationships and so forth. And we all have relationships in our lives with our siblings, our parents and our life and so forth. But some of the challenges in life when you think about relationships, making stuff work, finding someone who's compatible with you, your values, getting along all these different things. There are certain things that you may be barriers or rules or deal breakers, deal breakers there you go. So politics now is one of them all. I didn't even have that politics is a deal breaker now. It never used to be.
Speaker 2: But and I still have friends that have different opinions in politics and they get along fine, but hopefully well, yeah, they've been married for twenty one years, so grateful for that. But yeah, religion is another one.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and you bring that up. Jd Vance of course, I think it was a turning point. The other day had a thing we was speaking and someone asked him about She had asked him about a bunch of different things, but one of the things was about interfaith relationships. You know, I think he's Catholic. His wife, Husha, is Hindu. If I'm not mistaken, that's correct, and that for some people is a problem. But he said something that and I talked to my neighbor about this. We talked about this off the air, but I think it's a common thing, but it's a very interesting and challenging thing. And that he said that he would hope and still that she would find her way to Christianity in the end, which is something that she's not said that she's had interest in. But they were raising their kids with both faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, their interfaith. So what was interesting is because I went back, why would he say that, how do you not know what your faith is when you meet somebody? But back then when they met, they were in both in Harvard, right, and they both said that they were agnostic, and you know, atheists and agnostic, they neither one of them practiced faith. Faith well.
Speaker 6: JD.
Speaker 2: Van said in his thirties he converted to Catholicism, and she kind of got back into her Hindu faith and now here they are. Their kids go to Catholic schools, but she also adds the Hindu faith. And he literally said publicly, I hope she converts to Catholicism, which is because she has said I'm never doing that. She's publicly said I'm never going to convert to Catholicism, and you were republic you recoiled just saying it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the fact that he said it, or the fact that he feels that way, because I think deep down there's a lot of people that if they are they have found themselves in love and coupled with someone of a different faith deep down because so many faiths, though there are common threads of goodness and you know that golden rule mentality in most faiths, there is still that other part of most of them, that is, if you don't go my way way, you're not getting where you want to go to the promised the afterlife.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 1: That's so the hold up for a lot of families is you're not going to date somebody who's out of your faith.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Your parents may have said that, other people may have said that the same way it might be for race, the same way it might be, you know, challenging to go from one social economic situation when it comes to money or not having money. And you mentioned right off about the issue of politics. These can be deal breakers and they can be huge challenges less because of the society in the circles that you live and socialize with, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and even through the lines your in laws may feel a certain way if you're not you know, Catholic or you know, Jewish exactly. The Jewish community really really embraces, you know, being partnered with another Jewish because.
Speaker 3: You understand where you're coming from. Yes, values and faith.
Speaker 2: I can tell you my nephew would never be with somebody who didn't accept Christ. He's a very big Christian and so he's got three kids now, there's no way that he would even want anyone to not have faith. I mean, that was one of his big deal breakers. Is you have to be a Christian that us to be together.
Speaker 3: That's a question.
Speaker 1: I guess that all of us, at one time or another maybe have to come to a point approaching in a relationship situation. You see a woman or a girl whatever, when you're depending your age. And she's kind of hot, she's kind of sweet, while we have fun together, she's great to study with, et cetera. Then you start talking and you're like, I don't want to like this girl. I can't take her home. Her people pray differently than my people. Aside from all those other factors that go with it, How do you deal with that? Because love doesn't necessarily care. Your attraction doesn't necessarily care. When you are physically or emotionally attracted or attracted to their intelligence or their humor, whatever else it is, it sparks that interest to go, Man, I want to get with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's hard to even find that first. It's hard to said, I'm like, get with her? You know that's the voice in my head. Yes, it came out clearly, I heard it. But I absolutely if you find somebody that you're attracted to and you like and you have fun with, and you can trust and all these things and faith is a big part, or politics something like that, then it becomes challenging if that is a deal breaker. So how do you you know.
Speaker 6: You date it?
Speaker 2: Outside of that? H knowing? No, I don't think I have that.
Speaker 1: When I was a Hindu girl. Her parents. This is when I was working and living in New Orleans. She was going to Tulane. And it wasn't like I was grown old. I was like in my early twenties and she was like a sophomore junior. So it was a little bit of difference but not a lot. But her parents, especially her mother would have literally probably used a machete to kill me because I was not him. Do in an Indian boy, yeah right, Yes, I'm a half Jew, like I believe in something, but I love everybody. She did not want me loving her daughter, but over time she ended up finding a different guy of a different faith also was Catholic ironically, and they're happy and living well and so forth, and her parents came to a different place of understanding, a caaring but that some people never get through that they'll mess around in school and then like I gotta go, you break the heart and you move on to the next thing.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't. I don't listen. I think everybody because JD. Van's actually got some pretty big flack over his comment about hoping his wife would would you know, convert to Catholicism, But I think if you do, if you are with somebody with different faith, you can learn about it. There's so many beautiful religions out there that you can embrace and understand and learn more. And really there's a common thread and differ different different is very good. I mean, I had a neighbor which he just texted me. It's so funny. He used to say, my religion is love, and I kind of feel the same way because at the deepest part of all religions.
Speaker 3: It beats everything. Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 1: And that's what you sort of hope five point three seven four nine seven, eight hundred The Big One could talk back the iHeart Radio app. I mean, depending on one flavor, one's flavor of Christianity. You know, it could be Jehovah's Witness, Baptist, I mean, a Methodist, pick pick one, right, it doesn't matter. But there are people who are like, I've got to be a Baptist girl. Oh it's got to be a Catholic guy or whatever else it is, or you know, or a Jewish Man, whatever it is. For your you know, your faith and your family, how have you navigated that? What do you tell your kids in relation to that? Because here's the other thing. Society right now. If you look different, if you sound different legally here or not, that is a bridge and a speed bump and a problem to hostility and conflict just out shopping in some cases, let alone the I'm going to get in the morning to mass whatever rather than going to the temple or whatever else it is. I mean, these are serious barriers and problems. As much as we get along, there are a lot of people that that's not just a deal breaker, but like a life shaking thing.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I have to give credit to my mom. She was born in Canada. We moved to Connecticut early on, and she had a lot of kids and she became a single mom later on in life. And she's a Christian. We were raised in the Christian Church and the Christian religion, but when we moved to Connecticut, a lot of our neighbors were Jewish and Italian, so we embraced those cultures. We used to have Satan dinners, we used to do hide the matza. We used to do even when we were Christian. Yeah, a la bread and everything else. We all make my mom spaghetti sauce to this day. We learned from Italians in Connecticut how to make gravy is what they would call it. Right. We embraced so many different cultures and you can do that without having to adopt a full religion. You can embrace cultures.
Speaker 1: That's America. We cherry picked a good story, right, right. I mean that's what we do.
Speaker 2: You can believe in Christ and because that's what a Christian is. That's basically the definition. If you believe in Christ, you're a Christian and still adopt some of the fun and beautiful things about certain religions that are not yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets deep and it gets deep fast. We don't know what you think and how you navigate that. And you said something interesting. What is the controversy about him that as Jade Vans ur vice president, talking about his feeling of wanting her to convert in the end, hoping for her future life after life and getting where we want to go.
Speaker 3: I think most people have that feeling.
Speaker 1: Is it just the fact that he said it publicly in that conversation is a turning point thing that has people upset?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just feel like people felt like he was calling her out. I mean because she has publicly said that she Usha Vans has publicly said that she is not going to convert to Catholicism.
Speaker 1: Is it disrespectful that he mentioned that in that fashion or was that a healthy way to have a conversation that maybe the country needs to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's always a good way to look at That's the most positive and generous way to look at me. Now if it was me, And I don't really like taking things personally because there's if you get offended, the communication stops.
Speaker 7: So true.
Speaker 2: So but I think she was probably a little embarrassed and feels like she has to make a comment. So there is a problem though that I would have loved, loved that.
Speaker 1: The only reason I think I would have a problem with it is that there are so many people that make it a problem for you because you're different in not inside the loop of being whether it's Catholic or Jewish or Hindu or whatever else, you're the other, and right now being the other is a good well.
Speaker 2: And I think she's making some her there. Our kids are in Catholic yeah, and they're trying to live that. Yeah. So you know, I think maybe, I mean, I don't want to speak for Usha Vance, but I think people pretty much felt like he threw or under the bus publicly about that.
Speaker 1: Was it bad for him to say it? I think a lot of people feel that way and have those private conversations. But putting it out there, I think it moves the conversation. Here we are, we would not be having this conversation. You're absolutely in that regard. I think it's okay. I'd like to hear from some women on this too. Let's get Mark first, Greg Ron Others with Stirling and Donna D on a Saturday afternoon seven eight hundred, the Big One, Mark, what do you have?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 8: Well, sling, I don't know if you know this, but you're sitting in the room. What the performer?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know.
Speaker 8: Did you know that Donna D can strong like a call very well and you can sing? So you ought to encourage her for the nation station?
Speaker 2: So well, we may do that later.
Speaker 4: But we were talking.
Speaker 8: About, uh, what's his faith tusion?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I thought she was going to play that. I ran into her last night, I thought. But she's actually very talented, sir.
Speaker 1: We'll have to ring a guitar next time and then we can all have a big sing a song. Yeah, so what about on topic? But it's nice. She's blushing here now.
Speaker 2: My face the heat coming off my face right now, Mark is crazy?
Speaker 1: What about the interface? How hard of a problem is that? And is it wrong to say that publicly? Is the vice president or just anybody in general when it comes to their mate having to deal with the conversation after Well, I'm going.
Speaker 8: To say this about that. Those two have privately talked about it, and there's no way that j D would have brought it up if that conversation were already had perhaps that, you know, yeah, I think they've already had that conversation and she probably said, j D, I'm gonna stick with my Hindu Indian religion. You can be your Catholic. I'm off the board, Dad, and we can raise those children, you know, the right way. So I think those two have had that conversation. So throwing her under the bus probably not. But you know, it does lead to you and I and Donnade a conversation.
Speaker 1: About it, which is not necessarily bad as long as people aren't somehow disparaging towards her or him, and in that regardless, appreciate its Greg dick Ron others coming up quick break five third report sooner than later, the latest on What's going on all before chick A Love Wee Here on a Saturday, Sterling and donadee seven hundred WLW Sterling donnade hanging out all Soundgardens.
Speaker 2: I love this song. I'm still tad nugent not so much. You don't even after all these years.
Speaker 1: Chris Cornell's passing up in Detroit after that show there, I'm still having problems listening. I've been listening to more Sound Garden lately, one of my favorite band. But it's heartbreaking to me and hard for me because I'm over the years doing shows and interacted as well as being a fan, and it's really hard to deal with that. But exciting that they're going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next week and that's right, which is pretty.
Speaker 2: Awesome, so to deserve it, I agree, one of my favorite bands to It's a pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool thing for Sean to be able to put the get a Bad Company Shelby Checker. Cindy Lauper just went through her final Like a Farewell tour which did real well around the country.
Speaker 3: Did a show here at the River Bend.
Speaker 1: Joe Cocker outcast to salt and Peppa warren Zevon enjoy every sandwich is what he left us with, and.
Speaker 3: He's so right about that. Yeah, and White Stripes, but no, tell me.
Speaker 2: I was surprised at the White Stripes because they just seem like such a newer band. You have to have what twenty five years of that. I'm sorry to tell you. Listen, I am a fan of the White Stripes absolutely.
Speaker 1: I love you know, it's tremendous. And the stuff he's done solo, and then I mean he's done all these other side projects.
Speaker 2: Why, yes, I was drawing a blank. But Jack White, Yeah, I mean he's amazing.
Speaker 3: And he bought a vinyl plant.
Speaker 1: He helped bring vinyl back to the forefront against like I'm going to get a vital plant, and then everybody goes to him to get vinyl at this point for their records in some cases, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: I digress.
Speaker 2: Thank you for playing that song, Sean, thank you for requesting that Sterling.
Speaker 3: I'm here to help. We played the shits.
Speaker 1: We were talking about relationships and inter faith issues. A vice president advance course in Ohio. Guy here in the Tri State talking about his wife Usha in the news at turning point like a big conference, and he was speaking answering some questions and you don't have to agree with everything. That's sort of the good point of having conversations. And we were just asking because and Donna sort of really you said it perfectly in the way that he described their relationship situation about being he's Christian Catholic and she is Hindu, and how they're raising their kids. But he said something that a lot of people I think bristle back at, but I think deep down they may not say it publicly, but they want their other half, if they are in a mixed relationship situation like that, to come to the side that they're on, because they feel that it's the only way you're going to get to the next.
Speaker 2: Level, right right, Yeah, And you know when they met, we talked about this. When they met, they were in Harvard, and neither one of them were very religious. They in fact, they called themselves agnostic or atheists. And when JD in his thirties converted to Catholicism, she went to her roots and went to Hindu And that's got to be some kind of difficult because of the afterlife. Just as you were talking about where are we going. He has many faiths. If you're Christian and you don't believe in Jesus.
Speaker 3: You're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're done. I'm just not. That's it. You just you don't go anywhere. You stop. But it is important. They have two kids and their kids are in Catholic schools, So you know, you have to you have to bend and and work in some ways well with your spouse.
Speaker 1: The kids are gonna have a great Catholic education, They're going to have a faith based there, They're gonna have the Hindu thing. I think they're ahead of the game. Just add a little Judaism in there, and then maybe a little boot We have all of that because I mean, we're just embrace it all more Americans.
Speaker 2: It is My religion is love. That's right. Love Love.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Five point three some four nine seven, eight hundred, the Big One talk back the iHeartRadio Apple, it's them some calls like to hear for some women on this too. Have you dealt with that? Do you avoid relationships because of the interfaith thing? And if you have kids, what do you tell them as they navigate life going to school, finding that.
Speaker 2: Only Christmas and you know, the holidays that are coming up.
Speaker 3: I love all the holidays.
Speaker 1: I want all the holidays with the free stuff and the good food.
Speaker 2: A Christmas tree or a Jewish bush. Yeah, and you just keep the holiday lights on all years. Yeah, we got to kick everybody happy. Yeah, it's shorter. You don't have to worry about it drying out. It's living. It's just all that story. Yeah, and the Christmas tree tried to kill my mother Christmas. If I'm on a.
Speaker 1: Christmas or we're on, I will tell the story about how the tree tried to kill my mother, holiday story of all holiday stories, and people will cry out and want it. I get people on social media and emailing regularly asking me at the holiday times to tell the story, which my mother doesn't want to hear because she was the one who was nearly killed by the damn tree.
Speaker 3: Let's get to Greg. I think he's been holding the longest.
Speaker 1: We get to Ron and David and Dick and others in room for you with Sterling and Donnade on the big one, Greg, what about interfaith relationships?
Speaker 3: How do you approach that? Is it good, bad, impossible or what?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 6: You guys, thanks for taking my call on fantastic subject and Sterling. You called yourself mister positive. I've been mister positive for forty five years. Chris Como, stephen A. Smith, Charlie with Duff. I've been around for forty five years of rumination and stuff. But I'm glad you like to call yourself mister positive.
Speaker 2: I feel positive. I love it too, Greg, I absolutely love it. I used to be mister Megan and darkness, but I gave it off. He converted to positivity and I did. It's warmer. People love you more.
Speaker 6: Yes, real quick, And I'm going to go Randy in iron Rand. When you get into a relationship, what you want to do is fall in love with somebody that mirrors your values. You can never fall in love with a murderer or someone that's dishonest. So you want a reflection of what the values that you hold. And when you get into a relationship, you arguably want to establish what your goals and intentions are in the relationship. Yes, you want it to evolve and you know, become one if you will, but you want to have those platforms and establishments arguably in place when you start doing a relationship, and that's what you want. You want essentially the mirror Sterling, Donna, you love the person that you're with because arguably you love the values that they hold, that they're honest, truthful, that they are giving and caring and all those positive things. So when you do that and with trust me, JD and what you guys are talking about. I don't want to get into politics, but uh, trust me, I talk about it with Chris combo Off and every day and uh, but it's just it's just you're right. That's a dynamic that I think Sean said or someone said. The callers said that they probably established it before they you know, went on. You know, it's the shock value that you know people talk about. But uh, and Chick will tell you that I'm mister positive too. But that's a great conversation. Keep on you bet you you guys, everyone go for your dreams.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Greg, Well he is you're somebody else. Greg is. Definitely I do like what he said because you know, if it is it is moralistically important, and it is it is a deal breaker that you know, you have to have a Christian partner like my nephew is. That is a deal breaker for him because he has kids and he wants to raise his kids in the Christian faith and things like that. You really it will be very very hard to be able to manage that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can be. Yeah, especially when people believe that it's either my way or you're.
Speaker 1: Going to house or whatever. You know, that is a real story. I like the heat, but I don't want it eternally. Ron On the big one, how are you?
Speaker 2: How do you deal with interfaith stuff or is it even a problem?
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to say that I think I know.
Speaker 12: Of the perfect relationship with somebody in church.
Speaker 8: As in high school.
Speaker 12: Uh, my girlfriend's brother was married to a lady and he was a die heart Catholic and she was a diehard church a christ person and they both went to each other's church every weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I like that. I love that.
Speaker 8: I think that.
Speaker 12: I think that's the perfect relationship there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think maybe we'd all be better if we had a little bit more understanding of what the other side or a different flavor of it would be too.
Speaker 3: That's tremendous. How long have they been together?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I haven't talked, I haven't seen him for years, but I assume they're still together and still doing it because I mean.
Speaker 8: They was, they was.
Speaker 12: They did that religiously each weekend. You know, they go to her, he'd go to her church with her, she'd go to his church with him.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of fellowship, I think that will.
Speaker 2: I think that was a great relation. There's a lot of good message. Ron great call.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you listening to being a part of the show and the super kind words. I think that's great.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's you know.
Speaker 1: As a kid growing up, I was lucky in that my mom let me sort of be a tourist when it comes to faith because we have Jews. Yeah, I'm gonna have a Jew, and then we have the Catholics in the family. We have Jehovah's witnesses, we have some Baptists. We had some of the speaking in tongues people in the family, whatever they were. I remember going to their Tochetherish. I'd never seen anything like that.
Speaker 2: Acoustic. What do you call that, Jesus.
Speaker 19: There's somebody, yeah, it might I'm like seven or eight, and I just remember being there and then somebody like got the feeling and started speaking in tongues, and all I could think of because I had already seen The Exorcist.
Speaker 1: That seems like a possession more than anything else. I don't know that I like this, And I remember going home and my mom was like, what's the matter. I'm like, I don't know what happened earlier tonight, so I.
Speaker 2: Can't relate to that either, to be honest, But they're okay.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 3: The only ones I don't understand are the snake charmers.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I'm not I mean, pray to your teapot, if you want to pray to a teapot, rub Buddhist belly, whatever makes you happy. I'm not judging or being hateful. Please don't take it that way, but I mean, when you're playing with snakes that can be venomous at some point, I mean, it's like playing in traffic.
Speaker 2: Pick your spon.
Speaker 1: My God doesn't want me to get by a biper and swell up and die with anaphylactic shock. I don't know who you're prying to, not my God. I'm just saying, is that bad story?
Speaker 10: I wish?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 18: The previous college just reminded me that my grandparents on my mom's side, my grandmother was a devout Catholic. My grandfather was a devout atheist. They made it work for sixty years, and he used to take her to Sacred Heart Church. Uh, she would always want to go to the Latin Mass. He'd drop her off, He'd sit in the car, he'd read a newspaper while she was at church and wait for her to come back out and then take her back home because she never drove. She didn't drive, so he always had to drive her to church. So he sat in the parking lot and waited for her until church was over and she came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was something special.
Speaker 1: And that was before you could have the iHeartRadio app on your phone in the car or streaming in the car on the regular Nework.
Speaker 2: And my grandpa worked here too, so he was always listening.
Speaker 9: To l W.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, so did.
Speaker 18: She That's how they meant Wow. I didn't know that she was a secretary. He was an engineer real here. Yeah, No, I didn't know the whole history.
Speaker 2: I know part of Oh see, this is that's why Sean is producing on WLW. That the whole thing ties we get knock in. He's a legacy. My blood runs in the airwaves. Yeah, absolutely so great story. Sean. I love the respect that they that he had for her. Oh yeah, and and the fact that this was important to her and he made sure she got there. That's lovely.
Speaker 3: That is tremendous. A great family.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's get one more here before the break, and then Chick Lugwig's coming up. He's taking it through with some Saturday afternoon early evening sports talk right up to a pre game for those Bearcats on the road taking on the Utes and some Big twelve action. It's a ten to fifteen kickoff. That's primetime West Coast and late night here in Cincinnati. It is California, though he has no problem at that time. It's David was Stirling and donadla big when you got about it two minutes or so, what do you have, David?
Speaker 17: Well, thanks, I must be in the two hundred and fifty the anniversary of America. I'm going to put my answer in those terms that would Jade Vance. You know, his relationship with his wife is his business. But if he's going to be vice president, he has to have equal justice under the law. He has to provide equal protection under the law. And for him to be spouting some sort of I'm going to even get into the whether it's bigotry that if you know, you used the expression a minute ago about my way or the highway. If he's going to pull that joke with his own wife, what's he going to do with the rest of America.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you wait a minute.
Speaker 1: But he's talking about his personal relationship with his wife, and they're both living their own lives together in faith with kids that are going to Catholic school and being able to also get the Hindoo background as well, and that leaves it up to them. He just simply said, which I completely understand, that he would hope that she finds her way to Christianity in the end, because obviously of that faith, his mindset is what for her future and savior and eternal life would be that she has to convert, even though he loves her and cares for her. I don't think that's bigoted. That's just him being straight to his faith but still loving her.
Speaker 3: No or yes.
Speaker 17: I say no, yeah, because the name of the game is if you go into American history, the Bill of Wrights were basically in opposition to the Old Inquisition. The Inquisition was my way.
Speaker 2: Or the highway right.
Speaker 1: He didn't say he was going to burn her at the stake though. He just said he hopes she gets there in the end, and that's his relationship. He didn't say that all Americans need to come to Christianity. He said that about his wife.
Speaker 17: Well, I agree, But the name of the game is is that we're heading that way right quick, right now, that there are people that are telling America that if you don't belong. I was just listening to a show a minute ago talking about I'm trying to think of what state is just authorized that school property. Now you can paint crosses on school property as.
Speaker 3: Long as I can put a star of David or a Buddha belly up there, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should be doing any of that either. So I agree David that there's there's a slippery slope here of like, but there's a separation of church and state, I mean, and and things like that. I don't think that this is the case here with jd Vance and his wife, who sha. I think he is a great call.
Speaker 1: I wish we had more time that we were against the long time and I hung up. I'm putting him on a whole game. It was a great call though, and I understand where you're coming from, but there's a difference between him talking about his personal life and what his hopes are said for his wife in her next life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's more concerned for her.
Speaker 1: He was honest, I think, And he didn't say like he wouldn't have married or had babies with her and made a life with her. I wouldn't think otherwise. And if that, then there's deeper issues with the relationship. But he didn't say anything about the rest of us getting there that way. No, all right away, some Hooday speak and a whole lot more before Chick Ludwig comes in and uh, Sterling and Donnade, great show, right goodbye.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Thank you, Sean Forday, what for the listeners. We had some great calls today, Thank you, Sean.
Speaker 1: And I'll follow Zavir basketball Monday night right here home of the Hooday best Bengals coverage, Bearcats and so much more. Sterling and Donna d seven hundred WLW Cincinnati this weekend.
Speaker 2: Daylight savings time ends.
Speaker 20: Why because that's what Americans do When we wanted to cook a frozen burrito in a minute. We invented the microwave and cook that burrito cos that's what Americans do. And when we want the sun to rise earlier, we change time cause that's what Americans do. So this weekend, set your clocks back one hour.
Speaker 2: Cous, that's what Americans do.
Speaker 20: I'm reminder from seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: You're one stop for advertising called eight four four eight four four.
Speaker 18: iHeart live from the seven hundred WLW studios driven by micstrit He thought