Speaker 1: All right, now, Billy Cunningham, the Great America from the Double Wide and Naples and New Year, I'm back.
Speaker 2: My little week's.
Speaker 1: Vacation was wonderful. It was a stay vacation. I monitored five nine twelve nineteen our newsroom. I read the Inquiry every day. I talked to Tony Bender at least three times a day, which is half the time I talked to Joe Dieters. So it was a wonderful week off. But now I'm back at it. And while I monitor everything, you have to point out to Tony Tony Pike, remember that guy.
Speaker 3: He's back.
Speaker 1: Tony Pike is in the Hall of Fame with UC. We got the UC Bearcats tied for first place in the Big twelve, the Big eleven, the Big fourteen. Then we have the Ben Galley's of course on Sunday against the Lowly Jets, and that we could have a quarterback controversy. If Wacko Flacco keeps playing like this when Joe's ready to come back Burrow, he may not get his old job back. But that's another matter. Joining you and I now is the Great Brian Hambrick of the Power of Five and Brian Hamrick Welcome to the Bill cunning A Show. My first guest after a week off from my double wide and near Naples. Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. Brian, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Thanks for getting mister Cunningham.
Speaker 1: Well, I was there monitoring events. There was a classic scene I had from your newsroom when you're running down the hallway of eight to one Plump Street trying to chase down share along. She was morphing into various objects, and you got close to her, she became a chair, and then when you walked away, she suddenly popped up. It came like a water cooler, and then you moved a little bit, she became a door. In other words, she avoided you like you had the plague or you had COVID and you were chasing Charey along eight of one Plump Street for what reason? In the hallways she ignored you completely explained that.
Speaker 2: One well, you know, I mean James Round didn't have better moves sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel good, I feel good, or.
Speaker 4: Any one of them to try and get out of the way of the questioning. I mean, Walter Payton could have not moved more swiftly, agilely.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable. You know, people think maybe, you know, we get a kick out of this. You know, was much easier for me if they just come out and tell us what they're doing.
Speaker 5: You know, we don't choose to walk them down like this. But the reality is we have been trying over and over and over to talk to anybody in the city managers and mostly the city managers.
Speaker 2: That's what everybody wants to hear from. She is at the center of this entire event. Good batter indifferent might be the greatest thing that ever happened, But that's the person that you need to talk to because everybody else can just debate this thing. We can all talk about, well, you know, this city councilman wants to do it this where he likes it, or he doesn't like it, or he's not sure what it's about. The mayor is not sure what it's about. Nobody knows. She's the only one who has the information. We got to go to the person with the information. Now, you know, on their side, their side of it is, it's a personnel matter, it's an ongoing investigation. We can't tell you anything. Well, that's that's just not enough. I mean, there are things. You can tell us. I mean, you can tell us. There is no reason why you can't give us a basic understanding of what the investigation is about. You know, there's no information on that. So we go down to City Hall and I had already prepared that this is what it was going to be. Like, I knew she was coming into this. It was a with some sort of a pressor. Now, if you don't want to see me or any of the other TV stations, why would you hold a press conference on a very It was like she was getting an award for hiring folks with disabilities or something. Why would you hold that press conference that day? Put it off until next week, you know, do something else you don't you don't put up press go who do you think is going to show up? We're all showing up. We all want to know the same thing. So I go up there coming, Yeah, so I think I show up. Yet the chief wants to know, you know, apparently she's not even sure the folks her attorney said, they have no idea why they fire or didn't fire, but they put her on this administrative leave. They fire, they haven't yet. Well here's the thing, there's two different Uh, Uh, there's two different ways of looking like at this. Apparently under the charter there's one set of rules and if she if uh, if they have her under the charter, there's one set of rules. And if she is a contract employees, there's a second set of rules. Under the contract, they can just fire her. So if they're looking at like she's under the contract, then they need to just fire her.
Speaker 1: Right, she serves for the pleasure of the city manager and if you're not giving me pleasure. And until she was fired, ill used the term fire discharge. She was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've seen all the news. We're all on the same page. Thinks she's doing a great job. July twenty six, she kind of went after the media thing. You shouldn't be publicizing what happened to Holly in July twenty six. She's doing a great job. But let's go down history's hallway just a little bit. Let's go back to Cheryl Long, who was the assistant city manager at North College Hill, the home.
Speaker 3: Of the Trojans.
Speaker 1: Assistant city manager making little or no money, and at that point and North College Hill was in financial and physical emergency. There were gunshots fired to the football field a couple times. North College Jaill shall always say, is not well run. And so the city gets together this huge after they paid off the last guy millions of dollars to a search committee to find the thirty seven best candidates in America to be the city manager of the City of Cincinnati, and the search form one of the background of all the candidates and loan hold I think after Peeroval whispered in the ear of somebody and the search committee said, we want Cheryl long a DEI higher from North College Hill, and they bring her in. Then within a week it surfaces that she'd filed personal bankruptcy, had numerous tax liens, and then Aftip Peer of all diverted to the search committee saying, well, why didn't you tell us this? They couldn't find an information out and then Seth Walsh and others are saying, now, wait a minute, do we want someone who's filed bankruptcy with numerous tax liens to run the city of five hundred million dollar operation? If she's the most qualified, the mayor said, of those thirty seven candidates, I want to see the qualifications of the other thirty six.
Speaker 3: Are they in drunk tank somewhere. I'm thinking, how in the hell was this the most wodified? Explain that one to me and then let me continue. And then one of the first things she.
Speaker 1: Does is fire the police chief, a guy named Washington, and he came up through the ranks and he was fired allegedly for not promoting enough minorities. And he is a black guy. He was fired. He files the lawsuit and now we're going to pay. We're gonna pay him millions of dollars. So they find this guy named McKinley from Dallas. McKinley's the new fire chief. The first thing he does is take an extended leave of absence. He leaves and then comes back a couple months later. Then over the next several months, coding the inquirer, he took ten thousand dollars of wrongful money and fictitious overtime. And when he was caught, instead of giving it to the county prosecutor, what they did was say to say to the new fire chief, McKinley, you pay us back. He's out, I don't have the money. They then say, we got to garnishe your wages? And that's the fire chief now let's move on to Fiji. For God's sakes.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking at this.
Speaker 1: Let's put us put some canvas top on top of the shirt.
Speaker 2: Hit halftime there.
Speaker 3: Look what the hell's going on around this place? Can you explain any of.
Speaker 2: This to the mayor long list? But then there was, you know, quite a bit more to go.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, okay, And then you're trying to find out why Fiji, who come up through the ranks, did exactly what the mayor told her to do every time he stood next to her and patted her on the back. You're doing a great job. Keep doing what you're doing. It's wonderful. Then she gets fired what she serves in the pleasure of the city manager. You can get fired for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason. But the mayor doesn't want that. It looks bad, so he wants to hire a big time law firm to spend millions of dollars more to find out why I fired her? What you haven't, guy?
Speaker 2: That fired? Right?
Speaker 3: Can you smell when I'm cooking?
Speaker 2: It is? But these are all the things, and this is the reason why we felt like it was very important to try and get something, get some answers from the city manager. You know, but as you saw there, if you watch that, there is no intention what's over. In fact, when we came into the first sip of the hallway there at the bottom of the stairs when you go into city Hall, there were the mayor's offices to the left, and so she was apparently in there, and I see all of her staff out in front. I'm standing out there waiting for me because I'm like, well, we'll just ask her. If she comes out, maybe she'll stop and talk to us. They go inside and then circumvent and try and go around the way that we weren't. And that's when we caught up with her in the hall. And if you watch that carefully, she puts the she puts the folder she's holding over her face like like I'm like, what is that about? Well, I'm looking at it, going why is she doing that?
Speaker 3: I'm hiding. I'm hiding to hide my folder, like.
Speaker 2: We don't know who she is. I mean, it was I couldn't understand it. And you know, if I thought, well, maybe she thought the lights were bright, you know, or something, but she put it down pretty quick and the lights were even more bright, so I couldn't explain why it went down like that. But then she comes through. I had two or three questions. I knew I would have a short time to just ask her quickly the top of mind things. You know, is she being made a stek goat that's.
Speaker 3: Yes or a no?
Speaker 2: That has nothing to do with with personnel at her. I couldn't see it. You see, I had my sunglasses on. I couldn't see the prescription glasses. I had to put them on because I want to make sure I was, you know, finding the right person. Here she is coming down the hall.
Speaker 3: Behind her folder.
Speaker 2: Oh, walking behind and and trying to get like. She's got some of her staff over there running interference. I mean it looked like a screenplay, is what it looked like. You know, you put all those guys out in front and there trying to knock off the people and they're answering for you. She has to go to a press conference. I mean, it was it was absurd, and she'd never come to that. It was bizarre. So then she goes into the press conference, gives a little dog and pony show about whatever that press conference was about. So we're waiting, we'll say, well, well said again. I didn't want to be disruptive in the press conference. It was her moment with some award, so I didn't even ask the question. I'm like, I'll wait till she comes back out. I'll try again. Maybe she'll think, well, it's probably better for her. It would have been one hundred times better. She's gone. You know what here, Look, here's what I got to say. We are working and doing everything we can to fight crime in this city, and sometimes we got to make hard decisions. And that's what we're doing here. That's all I've got to say. Stay tuned. We got the boom. She left, and you know what, I wouldn't have been able to use any of that. I wouldn't have used one second of me trying to ask her questions. It would have gone away and she would have had that as the sound bite that everybody would have used. Everybody. But you know what they did. They didn't come out. She went straight to the back. There's another room in that room. Once fifteen there.
Speaker 3: In the.
Speaker 2: In the city building. They found and I even asked God janitor there who said, no, no, there's no other way out of there. They found a way out. There's a trap door. A rat hole. There's something, and you can go and circumvent everybody. And they ran out the back. They ran out the back and we never saw them after that. My lord, I mean this, would you do that? That is a bad look for anybody.
Speaker 4: Just come on.
Speaker 2: You know. I worked at in public relations to University of Oklahoma, and there were some folks there that had the same theory. The theory is if you don't say anything, you can't say anything wrong. So just don't tell anybody anything. And this was many, many years ago, and I was there and I remember some of the looks I got. So I know in public, sometimes in public the public forum, people don't want to do this. But I said, listen, we're reasonable people, we make reasonable decisions. Why don't we just go out and tell them why we made the decision we made.
Speaker 6: Not everybody's going to agree with you. You're gonna you'll tell them what you did and why you did it. I mean, look to take somebody who does that and you can agree with despise, love him, hate him, but Sheriff Jones guy, he will do what he does and then he stands there and tells you what he did. And that's what that'sody previously agreed.
Speaker 3: Trump's the same way. He'll tell you he's gonna he's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Trump's gonna be kind of it's gonna demolish the White House, he says, I'm not gonna ask permission within two days.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna do it. Yeah, you don't do it what he did right there when you when you ask and when you ask somebody like that about it, though usually they double down on it if they're you know, if they're happy with what they did, or they believe in what they did, you know, hiding and running and not answering questions and hideing behind you know, really flimsy. Well, it's under investigation. And what investigation are you going to circumvent by saying we're fighting crime in this city? There's none, it's.
Speaker 1: Made up, well, you know, Brian, Brian Hemry Channel five. I mean, it's one of for to watch this show, and it's happening because of the election, which is about ten twelve days away. We're going to find out if the city wants to take a different turn, which politically, all my political friends tell me republican democratic. Otherwise the city's not going to go some different direction. It is simply holding the status quotes after the election. It is absurd to think that if Charel Long indeed and the mayor work closely with Thiji Chief Fiji for not just months, but two or three years, then knew the ins and the out. She did exactly what they told her to do, and all of a sudden, if they say that she's doing a bad job, do a one to eighty of the opposite direction. All you got to do is call her and say, look, things aren't going the right way. We have to let you go, and you get full pension for the rest of her life. She makes like two hundred thousand bucks a year, she'll make that for the rest of her life. She got thirty some years and she's in the drop program for cops. And you don't hang her out to dry and make it look as if she did something so wrong and so disgusting.
Speaker 3: That we knew nothing about that.
Speaker 1: We got to fire her and keep keep this under control until November the fourth and fifth, when the votes are announced. At that point we're going to know. And so they're hanging out to dry is to dirty her up. The mission is the dirty up Thiji right now because we were so incompetent. We can't manage the city. We can't manage the cops. We screwed up the fire department. We screwed up the police. We can't fill the potholes, we can't shovel the snow. Someone's going to take the fall, and it's going to be Thiji. And they want to hire a firm to come up with all the dirt on her, and then they'll go to her and say, look at all this dirt we found about you. We we'll pay you two million dollars to go away if you sign the NDA. They want the NDA to be signed. That's what's behind this, That's what they want.
Speaker 2: They want something that whenever she walks out of that building, she cannot say a word about what she knows.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: And you know, there are a lot of people who believe she knows a lot. And if she's able, if they just went and fired her, she'd be able to walk right out. And I can guarantee you I would and had to walk her down. No, he would have stopped and talk.
Speaker 3: Let's talk.
Speaker 2: She been finer on the spot. Yeah, yeah, we'll be glad you wait. Wait, I think I see some other stations a half mile down the road. He'll be here in a minute. We'll do it all, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So that's what's happening. They're going this is that's the bottom line. They want a deal where she can't say anything when she leaves, because you know, some people believe she knows where all the skeletons are buried.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, and they want to keep the lid onto after the election. Get the law firm to give him some dirt on her.
Speaker 3: Call her in.
Speaker 1: You're a good woman, You've been here a long time. You'd exactly what we told you to do, and it failed. We can't take blame ourselves. You got to blame you. Here's two or three million dollars. Sign this, you'll be rich and away you go. Well, we got to run, Brian Hemrick. But one of the best things I saw the last few days was you chasing down a folder named Cheryl Long MS folder who is talking about nothing except hiring the disabled, which probably ways a great idea, but nonetheless, Uh, Brian Hemrick, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show, and may you continue to have great success in what you do.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 2: I've got that folder filed under bizarre. Thanks again, mister Cunningham.
Speaker 3: Thanks again, Brian Hemrick of the Power of five. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, Let's continue with more folder running, city hall, bankruptcy, tax leans, unexcused absences, garnishing wages. Let's get dirt on Thiji to put on top of that pile of crap. News Radio seven hundred ww