Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind, hosted by Petros, Papaday guests, left school after sixth grade and the voice of the Bolts, not Money Smith. The answer is money. There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 2: On the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Your day, Smart Grice, I wait a long time for this, You'll feel make it.
Speaker 3: Petro Money five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, PMS on demand available through the Petros and Money Show podcast. Subscribe, listen to today's shows, past shows, interviews. Everything is free as long as you get it through the iHeartRadio app. Of course, you can stream the show anywhere in the world through the iHeartRadio app as well. No Dodger game today. It's why we're going until seven pm. First pitch tomorrow gallpin Ford Broadcast Booth going to be at seven ten pm against the Braves. But a reminder in an hour, David Vasse gonna have Dodger Talk with Alex Vesia joining him on the show. So stick around for your Dodger Fixed. Tonight it's time for the final hour fun Fact.
Speaker 2: In effect, it's Yeah, We're three.
Speaker 3: Fat fun facts brought to you by Concordia University, Irvine. Remember the summer term starts on May eighteen, so sign up right now at CUI dot edu slash Coaching. Every new student gets a thousand dollars off and it's a fact, over two thousand graduates of the program in colleges and high schools in the state of California alone. Or coach and accelerate and elevate your career by joining this vast community of excellence. Well, I know you felt it in your veins, and I know Ronnie felt it in his guts. On this day in the year seventeen eighteen, the city of New Orleans was founded.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Poker as we know it was invented in New Orleans, Originating in the late eighteenth century, It became widespread thanks to respected English actor Joseph Cowell reporting that he played a game that he called the most interesting card game he ever did. Play twenty cards, five apiece to four players and a round of bets on which hand was the most valuable? Poker became widespread in New Orleans was its home?
Speaker 2: Ronnie really relates to New Orleans as a French city. I go further back and relate with it more of a Spanish Spanish harbor town.
Speaker 3: That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: That's right, No matter's way I do relate to it is French. You know, in the streets there's the French name, and then there's the old Spanish name, and I usually use the Spanish name that is Guya. This shrimp heead all right, It's time for the F one report Formula one man. It's return this past weekend after a five week hiatus with the cancelation of the races in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. El Bambino. Kimmy Antonelli continued his stunning start to twenty twenty six with his third win in four Grand Prix as he secured a sensational victory in Miami. Kimmy delivered his finest all around performance of his sophomore season, recording his third consecutive pole position to go with the Grand Prix win. On Sunday. It was a complete performance for Kimmy, the youngest driver on the Formula One grid. He had to overcome several challenges going into the weekend, including a schedule change on Sunday that saw the start of the Grand Prix moved up by three hours to avoid heavy rainstorms. How about that? How about that? Yeah, rainstorms forecasting in Miami later that afternoon and they moved up the race three hours. Would they do that with a football game? They wouldn't do it for a baseball game either. Caught me by surprise. Came home, I was like, what the hell? Yeah, names damn near over. Some rain did fall Sunday morning, the wet conditions abated for most of the race and under cloudy conditions, the nineteen year old Ita Loo from Bologna delivered an impressive performance. Impressive, matt impressive because although he was on pole riding the D.
Speaker 4: I like being on the pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ride the D every day. He relinquished the lead once again on the rundown to turn one, something he has done every time this season that he's been on pole. But the Bambino did not panic. He did not crack easy under pressure. He survived usual carnage on lap one, which included a full three hundred and sixty degree spin by the lustful Danish Prince Max for stopping Kimmy, who had the quickest car all weekend, kept his cool and fought his way back to the front, eventually getting past reigning world champions sprite like Lando Norris and completely outperforming his teammate, the curiously odd looking George Russell. Russell who admitted on Saturday that the Miami circuit was not his favorite on the calendar, and he lived up to that remark on Sunday. He was half a second slower than his teenage teammate all weekend. He has now failed to make the podium in two successive races, finishing fourth in Miami in a car that was evidently quick enough to win the Grand Prix. What's up, George? He finished forty three seconds behind Antonelli and has three weeks to reassert himself as the number one driver for the Mercedes team when they reconvene in Montreal. The odd looking George now trails his teammate by twenty points at the top of the Driver's Championship, and when the red lights went out, a dramatic start ensued. Kimmy faced a three way scrap alongside Mad Max and Little Chuck Leclair before both the Mercedes and Red Bull cars locked up into the first corner. The lead would change hands several times and that's exciting from there, and then Kimmy overtaking Leclair, while Norris and Oscar Piastrian Verstappen all took turns at the front, separate crashes for Isaac Hadger, Pierre Ghestlee. And meanwhile the safety card deployed in the opening laps as well, ghastly at the hands of the Kiwi assassin, Liam Lawson, drop.
Speaker 3: A get out of the way.
Speaker 2: Hugly Lawson.
Speaker 4: Ugly of Lawson.
Speaker 2: You're jealous?
Speaker 1: That up?
Speaker 2: Quick up, here's mom little pick a lab Lawson, umglyam Lawson putting up.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Excited yet the young kie we lost him the best who is dating former Corona del mar C King Hannah Saint John has become about as welcome as a turn in a punch bowl when it comes to wheel the wheel driving. This time it was the Frenchman gas lead who was his victim, and once the safety car cleared, it would prove to be a two horse battle between Antonelli and Norris, with sprite like Lando staying on the gearbox of the youngster during the later stages of the race, but despite the constant pressure, the Italian teenager maintained his composure to score his third victory of the campaign. Kimmy becomes the first driver ever to convert their maiden three pole positions into wins, and it's three Grand Prix victories in a row to Kimmy Antonelli.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Antonelli wins the Miami Gran Prix.
Speaker 2: Yes, whoo when what the race? What the race man?
Speaker 4: Whoo?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, very shunting, very exciting. I could hear the excited about the race. It was a bounce back weekend for the McLaren team. Matt Lando crossed the line a little over three seconds back for P two, while Oscar took the final podium spot for the Papayas, snatching P three from little Chuck Leclair, who spun on the final lap under well worn boots, costing him a podium and dropping him all the way down to sixth place after being overtaken by Russell and mad Max at the finish lin Sorry, Chuck, seems like the appropriate reaction. He was well, you know, he spun out. He would have been a podium. He was later hit with a twenty second penalty post race for repeatedly cutting corners as he desperately tried to keep his prancing horse on the track for the final lap. Tough way to end it for Little Chuck. His teammate Kim Kardashian's boyfriend Sir Lewis Alright, Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Off got moss on the net.
Speaker 2: Gala suffered Florida meage early in the race and would coax his prancing horse around the fifty seven laps for p. Six, A lot of pelvic floor damage on his girlfriend. Oh all right, tonightke it too? The met oh God a spacial outfit. Franco Colopino, You're a Colopinto would score valuable points for Alpine in p. Seven and Little Chuck fell all the way to p. Eight and the Williams of Carlos Signs and Alex Albin would round out the top ten with a double points finish for the team from Oxfordshire. Now, in three weeks time, the Formula One circuit heads to North America for the sports most historic and unpredictable weekend the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, once attended by Sadie Kates and Tina. The three weeks time tight championship battles volatile weather and one of the most unforgiving tracks on the calendar. The stage is set for a dramatic weekend at the circuit Jill's Villeneuve. The circuit rewards bravery more than perfection and who will be willing to lay it all on the line? Long straits and heavy breaking zones creating prime overtaking opportunities and to turn run while the infamous Wall of Champions waits to punish even the smallest mistake like Don Martin.
Speaker 3: So let's tell Rob you can't be too aggressive. You gotta be aggressive enough, but not too aggressive.
Speaker 2: Drivers have little margin for error on a semi street circuit that combines old school risk with modern F one speed. Montreal's layout has historically opened the door for surprises, especially if rain arrived. Matt several teams are expected to arrive in the Great White North with major upgrade packages as the twenty twenty six development battle intensifies. The biggest focuses on Mercedes. Despite winning early races in twenty twenty six, Mercedes largely held back its first major yes their first development package under the Miami Weekend, while the rivals aggressively upgraded their cars and they won anyway. Team boss Total Wolf indicated that Montreal's package is critical, with reports suggesting Canada will feature their first substantial arrow overhaul.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's going to run on Maple, sirup, they got this thing locked up.
Speaker 2: McLaren is also expected to bring another step forward after its strong Miami performance. Multiple reports indicate the team still has additional aero dynamic developments planned specifically for Canada, including front wing refinements and further low drag upgrades suited for Montreal's long strains. And as you know, Matt, we are your home of front ring refinements. There is not even a close second. We are the front wing refinement show of rerex see.
Speaker 3: And I thought you were going to say, where the long straight hairpin turn show off record.
Speaker 2: Secondarily, yes, yes, those things have in order some form of it. One thing we know we can count on circuit Jills Villeneuve for.
Speaker 4: Saw, No, I just hit a ground hog, could have avoided it.
Speaker 2: Was racing, That's right, Matt. The North American groundhog is indigenous to Notre Dame Island. The fuzzy little foreigners are known to frequently run across the circuit during racing action and unfortunately meet their maker at the hands of F one drivers like the former Canadian embarrassment Nick Letifian. Oh no, well, Nikki has gone from the ranks of Formula one. That doesn't mean as countrymen, the equally embarrassing Lance Stroll won't take up the cause of exterminating the little fellas every chance he gets while driving around the circuit. Oh, it's so ridiculous. Ridiculous to you, the Lance, but not the groundhogs. Expect wheel the wheel battles, aggressive overtakes and a good possibility of chaos from lights out to checkered flag in Montreal and possibly some of this. Yeah, we know the groundhogs will be laying it all out on the line. Will the drivers as well? And that is your F one report Other California and we'll return to do some Birthday of the Day and then off night Dodger Talk featuring David Vasse and Alex Vesia as we discussed Thank you for listening to this crunchy group. Thursday on the Petrosen Money Show on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis that money Snare. This is Petro Send money on demand.
Speaker 3: Petrol some Money Hanging five seventy ELA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Off day today for the Dodgers, but tomorrow Big One. The Braves are in town for a three gamer at Dodgers Stadium, coming off a two out of three victory series against the Astros, p something they needed desperately after the way that road trip started in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: And joining us right now on your Toyota SoCal Dealers Celebrity Hotline is a great analyst and a former great player, an All Star, a World Series champ with the Marlins. He's soared with the Marlins, seventeen seasons in the Big leagues, putting together a great career with the Expos, Fish, the Red Sox, the Mets, the Cubs, the Rays, which is a different kind of sea creature, and the Patras. You see him now on your screen on the MLB Network MLB Tonight. Nobody does a better job than Cliff Floyd. And here, with a quarter of the season over, he joins us to discuss some big national picture topics on the Petrosen Money Show. What's cracking, Cliff? How are you great to have you on? Oh man?
Speaker 4: All was good. I love the music, love the intro.
Speaker 2: You deserve it, Cliff, you know, I mean you take time out of your day. We're not just gonna bring you on and just pepper you like like, you know, you deserve a little bit of a you know, a little bit of fanfare on your way into the restaurant before we sit you down and put the napkin on your lap.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Tell us Cliff, you know, because we're the Dodger station here, so obviously very spoiled. In the last two years have been like a dream. And then there's a lot of world series and a lot of great competition over the last ten years. Uh, did you think the Dodgers start would be like this? It always feels like, no matter what the expectations are, they having up and down style road.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I didn't expect it to be like this. I think everybody gave them one hundred and you know, twenty wins. You know in spring training it was like, well, their time and figured it out. Yeah, one forty you know what I mean. So it's like there they'll take their time and everybody will chill out and everybody just you know, breathe a little bit. But if you look at who they facing the ROLD Series Toronto, they're going through it right. A lot happens when you have guys on il Man and you guys have seen it. You guys have probably not dealt with as much at versy as some of these other teams. But somehow I know that the Dodger has always been able to figure it out on the flock. And this year, I'm not saying they ain't going anywhere, because it seems like every time they have something that you know, jumps off, it's like, well, the Padres are behind them, but it feels like the Padres are ten games always as opposed to two or one and a half is for for some odd reason, they just it's just a slow grind for them. But you are missing some key pieces that you have to keep an eye on, you know, as we jump into May and like it's a long season, but you still have to keep your eye on what's been going on of late of just the I L and you have some guys, you know on rehab assignments. That's coming back, Snail being one, But can you get Mookie back? Can't get these guys back and feel good about, you know, moving forward and having these guys on the ross and helping you win some ball games.
Speaker 3: Is that just cliff kind of you know, early season Freddy usually takes a second to get rolling mookies kind of bag like or is that maybe a bigger like, Hey, these guys are getting kind of old. These guys have played a lot of baseball, and they've been to the World Series and back to back years. Like, I don't know, if you had to split it into percentages, is there a higher percent into your concern that maybe these guys are getting a little bit old and that's why that bottom of the lineup with the young guys is producing seemingly a little bit more now than the top Or is it just kind of the way the season plays out.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's a little bit of both. Right, So I'm not really ready to be like, yeah, these guys are old because I look at certain teams, one being probably of the Phillies are probably the oldest team if I'm not mistaken, in the league. May they close and if you look at the Phillies just until recently they started bawling, like, I don't know what happens when the older guys tend to take a little bit, you know, more time, because you can have an excuse for the Phillies it's cold and April so on and so forth. It ain't cold in LA and they might be getting a little older. But at some point you're gonna have to utilize the youngsters. You're gonna the supporting cast dues have to play and if you get that, if you get that contribution, then everything kind of falls into place. I of what Andy Pyez is right now, we talked about this morning on the show. D Row went in and depth and just his his his you know, masturbation, his maturity and everything about what he's had it and what he's done this season has been phenomenal to watch after what he endured in the World Series right and riding the bench, coming in for the greatest catch prior of his career. But when you think about him and where he's at, you don't need these dudes. And I'm not saying I'm not giving them, you know, the the you know, the crutch right now, I'm just saying until the Padres are win that that division by ten games, by winning that division by eight games ten games, I'm I'm I'm sorry. I'm not ready to relinquish anything that Dodds has done. Uh thus far?
Speaker 3: What do you make of kind of the way there? You know, because it seems like it's a thing. It's now happened more than once. Of not hitting Otani when he's pitching.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Tani says it's not so I don't know how you can't. At some point, right at least with him, you have to say I'm gonna protect the player from himself because he wants to do it. Now. I know, a Tony can walk into the Austin and say, hey, I'm kind of running the show and I'm not disrespecting Dave Roberts by any means. But Otani is different. He's one of one. I think you have to look at the big picture. And I'll go back to what I say. I mean, yes, he's incredible. Yes, the ability and all everything we talk about with him is there. But don't you have to protect him at some point from something I think you do. That's just me as a former player grinding in the cage, grinding, grinding, grinding, you know, playing both sides of the ball as an outfit, or maybe not getting one ball a game, maybe getting two balls a game, not throwing, getting big lee hears out and then trying to hit ninety five ninety six. When you look at him, he don't look tired. But I think you have to protect what we've seen in the past from him. You know, he's going through to Tommy John's like this is Yeah, I get it. People might think that, oh, it'll be great if he wants a young but is it about championships with sions? If you ask him, I think he would say championships.
Speaker 2: Cliff Floyd is our guest MLB Network. It's an interesting thing, you say, Cliff, because Otani's pretty much signed up until he's eighty years old. Uh. With the So what do you think it's gonna look like? You know, in three or four years, do you think there'll be a wall that this guy hits. I mean, I remember back in the day we were talking about Mike Trout might be the greatest player ever, and certainly we're not having those conversations anymore. And he was a guy who signed a really long term deal. What do you think it's gonna happen? What do you think it's gonna be like in a few years.
Speaker 4: Well, wall is coming. I don't know what you know, if there's a big ones as a buzz, I don't know what's happening. But you you have to as every player. And I'm not even gonna mention Dwyane, you know, Dyne down and like you know, coming to an end out. What I'm saying is, how do we maximize what he brings to that organization, you know, to the game of baseball? How do you maximize that? I think durability is something that I would I love talking about because I wasn't the durable guy that I want to be. And when you're not available, it's there. There's your answer, right like I wasn't available enough to speak on Like, well you gotta be. You know, you gotta post, you gotta post. I commend dudes that post. I love dudes that go out there and you can look at their track worker and say, well he's posted for the last three four years and one to fifty plus one fifty five plus. I need that dude on my team. How do you get that out of all the time, you know, for me to watch that game consistently every night he pitches when I'm up. You know, I'm fifty three years old now and been out the game for a while. For me to watch that game late a night on West Coast, Oh tiny needs band lineup. I need to see him playing none against the other dudes. But he's just a difference maker like that. For me to watch that game and watch what he's doing, and everybody's mentioned Unicorn and all these things, and it's great. I think it's phenomenal. Yes, he's going to the Hall of Fame. I think it's great. But how do you maximize for that team moving forward? If you want to throw in the contract, cool, how do you get that? How do you get the best out of that? And that's protecting him from some sort of whatever it is, maybe not hitting as much, maybe you know, every sixth day, maybe missing the start, whatever it is. It's important to to you know, listen to and it's important for Timey to be truthful to them and say, hey man, I'm feeling a little you know, you know, fatigue, you know, a dead arm, whatever case may be. And if that's the case, then I know, for a fact. Dave Robertson and the whole organization will protect that, but he has to be truthful and making sure that they stay on top of anything or everything that happens for him moving forward, because he's that important to not just their winning, but just the overall fan base and what they mean, you know, what he means to LA What.
Speaker 3: Do you make of just kind of the because they've showed patience with pie Has last year, right in the playoffs he went through like a yeah, three for forty five slump. But you know, we're watching Haysung Kim and we're watching Alex Friedland and some of these young players, and out here we're just so used to well, you know they're going to be on that plane to Oklahoma City, you know when so and so when Mookie gets back, and saying there, like Kyle Hurd, he's going to be gone when Snell gets back. Is what do you think the balance is for the front office to try to give these guys, these young players, as much rope as they can and much opportunity as they can to prove that they're everyday big leaguers while still kind of having this older roster and feeling the need to, you know, win every game and win a World Series. Is that a tough thing to balance? And do you think they're doing a good job of it.
Speaker 4: I do think they're doing good job of it. Is it tough to balance, absolutely, because you do have these guys coming back, and you know, I think the one thing I've seen and dealt with or you know, of course with twenty plus years, is too you won't be the first definitely won't be the last that happened to have going back to Oklahoma City or dealing with you know, whether you're playing well and you might have to show an end as a stick and have to go back to Triple A for a little bit, you know, but you always about leaving the last impression on that organization to let them know that you can play at the big league level. It's about consistency, or it's about understanding the role that has changed for you as a player when you get to the big leagues. Right, it's not going to be the position that you came up with. May it might it might be something totally different, and you have to make that adjustment on the fly. So I think when you look at these dudes getting you know, an opportunity. One of the one of the best things. One of the coaches says me a long time ago. He was like, it's free. Like what you mean, it's free. The opportunity is free. It's air and opportunity. Take advantage of it. Don't put pressure on yourself. Play the game you can, and Doc is watching the whole everybody's watching, and you Freeman's watch. Everybody's watching. And it's about the little things you bring to the team that's going to take that team, you know, to the top. It's never about the big things. If you bring the big things, three homers, cool, that's cool. But if you can make a play, if you can get that precious out that you need, if you can do some of the little things, then you're always being the hunt of being on, you know, on that roster, you know, when when when time b towards the postseason. That to me is how you establish yourself as a youngster, especially on really good teams, on teams that are just you know, fighting for you know, just to stay above water, stay above five hundred, so that the opportunity is going to last for one hundred and fifty plus games. You're going to get the ride out and get your feet up onder you. You don't get that luxury on good teams at times. So I think Doc and those guys have done a good job of just you know, allowed these dudes to play their games, get their feet wet a little bit, and then say, hey, you know what's coming, so just prepare yourself for this. But give me what you've got right now, and I guarantee your time of come and get the great.
Speaker 2: Cliff Floyd is our guest from the MLB Network. Before we let you go, Cliff got to ask you, you know, Dodgers, notwithstanding I know the Mets are terrible and Philly's old. Like you said, the Braves are coming to town. They've been good. What's been the biggest surprise to you in the first quarter of the season here?
Speaker 4: So you know what, I love a lot of teams that are that are fighting right. I mean, it's it's just when you look at the Oakland you know they're coming. Well, I say, Sacramento ads, I'll get caught up every once in a while call Oakland, but the Sacramento, Uh. I am surprised by the Cubs and what they've been able to do without having starting pitching right when you lose a cade Horton, a Justice Steele. You know, now, Matthew Boyd, you have a revamped bullpen and you're doing what you're doing the last three days to the cistin I res who are real in my opinion that that is phenomenal. I mean, listen, I expected the Cubs to probably win that in L Central, but the duel without pitching, and I've always said, if you don't have pitching, you're probably gonna come up last. They've sought me. But I think in L Central is one division. While I'm looking at going Wow, I inspect all these teams will be five hundred above.
Speaker 2: He's the best.
Speaker 3: Should we get him a couple times a year, and we're better for it. Our listeners can revel in the Baseball Conversation seventeen seasons in the Big League's World Series Champion. You watch them on MLB Network. We love mb Tonight and we love chatting with the guys that make that show as great as it is here on the Home of the Dodgers. Cliff, we appreciate it, have a great one, and we look forward to talking again soon, no.
Speaker 4: Doubt, Fos, thanks for having me there.
Speaker 2: We go Cliff Floyd and we will be right back with more Petros and Money on AM five Sex the LA Sports, your home of the Dodgers. Off Night Dodger Talk featuring Alex Vesia the David Vase starts at seven.
Speaker 1: This is Petros Money on Demand.
Speaker 2: Crunching Grooven. Thursday coming to an end, and we hope you've enjoyed our radio program. You can enjoy it later as well on the iHeartRadio app. With the podcast, you can also stream it live there. It's all there and all are welcome, and it's all free. And David Vase will be on next. He has got off night Dodger Talk with Alex Vesia from the big event today in Downy. And speaking of Downy, one week from Friday, Matt and I will be in beautiful Downy, California at the BJS for a big time show a week from tomorrow at two of We're gonna have a heck of a time in Downy and you are required to be there as a Petros and Money showed listener.
Speaker 3: Three and a half hours. It's gonna be a hell of a blowout. Will there be pre worn clothing given out?
Speaker 2: Probably? Yes, Yeah, I can arrange for that.
Speaker 3: Will there be BJ's restaurant and brew house gift cards?
Speaker 2: Most definitely absolutely Dodger tickets, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. Dodger tickets, so plenty of giveaways and of course three and a half hours of us enjoying each other's company. What's the theme again? Is it shaved legs and speedos? Is that what we're going with?
Speaker 2: No, Matt, I haven't figured it out yet, but it's certainly not shaved legs and speedos, which I don't think has ever been considered. And I don't think we'd make it too far down the street and downy some of the places we go. Perhaps, but I don't think we'd make it too far down the street and Downey walking around like that. No, probably not. Yeah, it'd be like Joe Burrow, the gay door man walking around the mat. All right, man, you got the dead guy birthday other day, I do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go with Edwin Herbert land Edward Herbert LANDA. I'm old and those that are old like me and our perverts like me can relate to this.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 3: The kids and beyond the kids, they send the snaps or they send the texts with their d picts with their boobs boobling. Hey, I like you check out my junk. Here it is in a text that I just sent you a picture of my junk. That's what they do well. Back in the day, you couldn't take the photo of your poots. Take the film to the freaking photo Matt, have some weirdo develop it, and then get your photo of your boots and then give it to the check you wanted to send a pool. You could technically, but you weren't gonna.
Speaker 2: They're probably gonna save it, make copies of the photo man. And now that guy's got your boots too.
Speaker 3: But our man Eddie, our man Eddie made that connect possible, all right. He's the guy with his polaroid pictures that allowed you to take naked photos of yourself or your lady and keep them in that secret place. Maybe it was taped to the underside of your nightstand or nestled in one of your favorite books that you knew your parents would never flip through the pages sitting there on your bookshelf. That's what Edwin Herbert Land did. He created the polaroid picture, and man, there was so much hope and possibilities that you had with your high school relationships and college relationships before the text photo thanks to this man born in Bridgeport, Connecticut parents Ukraine immigrants. He was a fidgetter, would take apart anything and everything in the house, clock appliances, put them back together, their brand new gramophone. And when Pop saw that, he said, all right, your talented kid. Put them into the gifted classes. And he ended up going to Harvard and he's one of these guys. They get to Harvard and he's like, h too smart for you. So he left after his freshman year, moved to the big town, worked odd jobs to make money, and then at night would sneak in to the laboratory at Columbia University use their equipment, where he invented the first inexpensive filters capable of polarizing light. He called it polaroid film. He realized he could manufacture a film with millions of micron sized polarizing crystals coaxed into perfect alignment with each other. So when he's twenty two years old, he goes back to Harvard asks his physics professor, who had some scratch, can you finance me here? Let's start the land Wheelwright laboratory and they commercialize polarizing technology. As you would imagine back then it wasn't VC, but it was going to Wall Street and showing what you had. So he got a bunch of money. They renamed the company Polaroid Corporation in thirty seven, and really it was sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that polaride sunglass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the polarize, the polaroid sunglasses, the polarized.
Speaker 2: I've been a proponent of polaroid sunglasses because they are the first polarized sunglasses ever invented.
Speaker 3: And that invented by this man where he made his money. That then also applied to film that would help with brightness. It was a fount sunglass.
Speaker 2: You could per out, but not as much as you can the camera. Right.
Speaker 3: World War two greatest generation Land was a big part of the military. He developed dark adaptation goggles, target finders, the first passively guided smart bomb, special stereoscopic viewing systems, the vector graft, which revealed camouflaged enemy positions in aerial photography. He was a big freaking deal. But it was a vacation in Santa Fe, New Mexico with his three year old daughter. He snapped the photo of her and she said, when can I see the photo? And that planted the seed? Why don't we have instant film cameras. So after the trip, research and development files for the patent, figured it out in about three years. How dedicated was he to the polaroid camera. He was in his lab for eighteen consecutive days, wearing the same clothes, having people bring food into him. When he thought he was right on the cusp of figuring it out, he did, And of course he demonstrated his instant camera in nineteen forty seven it was available commercially. Fifty seven were manufactured. They sold out the first day. He was part of the Utube program, Corona and Samos Photographic Satellite program, an advisor to Dwight D. Eisenhower, more than just a scientist, a real American, an American that helped the cause and helped pervy kids before the advent of the camera phone. You led with the PERV and you finished with the perse Yeah.
Speaker 2: But isn't there you know the American cause that's right and sign glad.
Speaker 3: But ultimately, yeah, you've got a polaroid as some chick naked when you were in high school and a holy crap, you where.
Speaker 2: Were the girls streaked the quad in Peninsula High early in my career there, well yeah, I mean there were a lot of film developed. There was even a guy running around with a video camera and a child was smashed up against defense. I mean we got ugly. It was a stampede.
Speaker 3: Maybe was a big deal when we were young. You could You couldn't just open your phone and have boobs boobling.
Speaker 2: That, and you would get tired of looking at a photo. People don't get tired of looking at their phone. It seems beating out Bill Krutzman and the great Irish singer Christy Moore is Australian News.
Speaker 4: It's Kid and this is Petros and Money's Australian News.
Speaker 2: This man would have been eighty three years old today. Peter Carry, now living in New York City, one of only five riders who's won the Booker Prize for Fiction twice, from a town in Victoria, Australia. He got a science degree at Monash University. Their mascot Dayton the robot Okay Science. He worked in Melbourne in advertising. He met writers and he worked on advertising campaigns and he thought he'd try his own luck at writing a novel. He has written now over a dozen novels and good ones. Oscar and Lucinda won the Booker Prize and became a movie with Ray Fines and Kate Blanchette, story of an American priest and an Australian heiress who loved to play cards. It was a good movie. It's a great book. He did Jack Mags, a reworking of The Great Expectations. That's you know, you don't just rework that, Matt, you know, it's like trying to do Peter Gabriel for the alive guy. You know, that's a real undertake. He did The True History of the Kelly Gang, which also won the Booker Prize the Ned Kelly historical fiction work, and that became a big movie as well. In two thousand and nine, I read his book Parrot and Oliver in America, which was an inspiration of the life of Alexis to Tolkville, who was an aristocratic guy, a European dude who visited our country in the eighteen thirties and wrote about his reflections. Very good book two thousand and nine. Love That. Lots of great nonfiction as well, and short stories. He did a rock musical. He wrote the screenplay Till the End of the World with whim Wenders, or, as Matt likes to say, Vin Vendors you you inventd us many honorary degrees in the Order of Australia.
Speaker 3: I like a good rock opera.
Speaker 2: He's got like an Australian knighthood. He is a great writer. When he wrote that book Jack Maggs, the Queen asked him to come and see her, but he snubbed her because he was tired and he didn't want to travel. And he did eventually meet the Queen and the Queen did not forget. She said, you had some trouble getting here the first time, did you not?
Speaker 3: Whoa I'll come see oh mass schedule.
Speaker 2: That stung him. He's lived in New York for thirty years, married three times, ugly divorce from the second wife. She said, you divorced me and then you used the material of the divorce to write a book. He said, you're right, it's great material. A fine writer, Peter Carey out of Australia. I don't know if there's a better Australian writer. I'd venture to say there's probably not. There is stupid people.
Speaker 3: I mean, what about the lyrics to like silver chairs.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I mean you know, yeah, but you know this guy's a you know, the novelist bows when the poet walks by. Matt Maybe you're right, but who can forget you know, some of the great Rick Springfield. Later. We'll be back with more Petross and money tomorrow, a three o'clock show than Dodgers Take on the Brain checked out this conject