Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It's a big day at Dodgers Stadium. The Red Sox are in town. Always fun when La and Boston and sports hook up together. And a guy that knows all about that is our guy, Dave Roberts, three time World Series winning manager, also a big part of the four championship for the Red Sox. And it's all presented by Downy Hunday. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it. Dave.
Speaker 2: Good to be with you always as we sit here in my office and you mentioned the Boston Los Angeles and it takes me back to my childhood rooting for Magic against the Celtics, and obviously my time in Boston. But you know, whenever the Red Sox and the Dodgers get together, it's always a big ticket. And you know, the Red Sox quite frankly in the last month or playing the best baseball if anyone, so it'll be good test for us.
Speaker 1: You played for Jim Tracy when you were with the Dodgers. Now his son, Chad Tracy, is the interim manager for the Red Sox. Do you remember this little kid, Chad Tracy running around the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: I do, and he was kind of I think maybe round ten, and so yeah, I mean Deb Tracy, his wife, and I remember the boys being around, and so yeah, it's just something that you know, I never saw myself as becoming a major league manager, but now Chad Tracy and I are going to be an opposing dugouts, which is pretty crazy, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest. It's the Manager's Meeting, presented by Downey Hunday. You got a bullpen game today and you got a fresh arm from Oklahoma City Cole Irvin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got Cole Irvin certainly pitched in the big leagues and it's good to get him up here. And he's gonna take the bulk of this game tonight. And unfortunately the corresponding move was Brock Stewart, and Brock had some shoulder problems and it's one of those things that after the updown didn't feel great. Could probably pitch to it. But I think for us right now, given we've got the calendar on our side, that we're going to aisle him, expect to be back on that fifteenth day. But yeah, I mean I think I'm excited to see what Cole can do.
Speaker 1: You've pitched Edwin Diaz and back to back games. Everybody keeps asking me about that. I said, Heck, I've worked more nights than Edwin Diaz this year. Why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. I think that the thing is is that we took extra time to get him back, and for me to be quite honest, I think that giving him a little bit of cushion last night and the four run ninth I think was good for him. It served a couple purposes, and did the back to back, and so he'll be down for a couple of days and we'll get back to him. But I wanted to kind of get that rust off of him. And you know, the second night actually was better than that first. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you, did you see the rust come off last night?
Speaker 2: I did. I thought the fastball command was much better. There was that low dart in there, there was the upshoot fastball, but also the slide. It was better. So yeah, and I think that so we got accomplished what we wanted and Edwin completely understood my thought.
Speaker 1: And you got show Hey Otani back in the starting lineup tonight as the DH what's the conversations like between you and him on a daily basis to check in on how he's feeling.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not daily. I think that I check in on him in the sense of how you're doing and kind of pleasantries, But as far as like getting into hey, how does your nee feel today? Is it a one to ten? On a one to ten or tomorrow? How does your neefeeld? That's not what I'm trying to do. I think that for me, you're watching show, hey, seeing how he's uh, you know, carrying himself, how he's running the grimaces if there are. He's obviously talking to the training stuff, and so that's kind of the extent of it. I don't want to kind of every time he sees me ask how his needs to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you help us understand Obviously we understand the pounding and the force of a big man like him pitching, but how does it separate being a hitter and running the going first to third. It seems like it would be really difficult to separate that for all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, it is interesting. I think that specific to the left leg, the landing, that's what takes most of the brunt of the torque on the pitching, So that's kind of what causes that problem with the knee, and with the hitting, it's his back knee as a left handed hitter, and it's a turn and that's more of the hips and it's not and actually the front knee, the right knee, and the hitting side takes a brunt of the torque because you hit off of your front side. So it actually in the perfect world because he throws right hits, but it doesn't affect the hitting.
Speaker 1: You're starting to get some players back. Obviously. Will Smith is a guy that we've all been interested in because of how much he has meant to you in October for the three World Championships. Where is he at right now? And are you even more optimistic than you were the last time we spoke?
Speaker 2: I am? I am, because the last time we spoke we were on the road, and now the last few days I've had a chance to have conversation with Will says he's paying free, he's done baseball activities, which I've said publicly, and today he's going to start some hitting and kind of start that progression. So that's a good thing. And yeah, we certainly miss him, and I think the world to him. He's been a great Dodger. But I am happy with the production that Dalton's given us. But you know, there's still nothing like getting your multi year All Star catcher back.
Speaker 1: Yes, speaking of the production that Dalton Rushing has given you, He's played more games than Will has, twenty more games. His ops is over eight hundred, he's hit twelve home runs, he's hitting two seventy. He got so much attention for the emotions boiling over. Has those emotions gotten more under control? And should we be focusing on the fact that he has given you everything and more that you could have hoped for.
Speaker 2: I think so, And some of it was deserved and self inflicted as far as the motion, the emotion and the antics. But I do think that they've been better. Like I've said many times with a lot of our players, he's growing up and I do think that he's managing his motions a lot better. And even you know, from that San Diego series, I think it was that day game, maybe the second game in San Diego. Just yet, bad quality has been way more consistent, and he is getting big hits, obviously the big homer last night and he'll be down today after catching three in a row. But you know, to have a backfill like adult and rushing who's cutting his teeth in a pennant race, that's a win for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Why has it gotten better?
Speaker 2: Do you believe? Well? I think that you know we've talked to him. I've talked to him personally about letting his play on the field, you know, say everything. And I think that you know, we all know he cares. But the challenge is is that to be an everyday guy, which he feels he can be and wants to be, you just can't ride that emotional roller coaster, regardless of how much you care, how emotional you are.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest. You're not the only guy with the Boston connection. Obviously, Mookie Betts played there for a while. You guys acquired him. Where is Mookie at in his season? And do you believe that it's all about him ramping up to be his best in October?
Speaker 2: I do. The defense has been consistent. It's been gold Glover, gold glove caliber. I think the last couple of days, I've loved the intent with the bat. I think that you know, for the Dodger fans that are watching him. You can see the aggressiveness in his swings, and so I like that try to sort of imposing as well. I think Tao's done a lot of that same thing the last couple of days. I'm thinking about giving Mooki one of the next two days off after we get through tonight's game. But he's in a good spot. He's in a good spot and you know, excited for what's to come the next two months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's end it on this. Since you brought up to Oscar Hernandez, it was special to see you get out of the dugout and give him an ovation with the catch that he made two nights ago. Are you starting to see Tao show that life at the right time?
Speaker 2: We are? And I think the thing is with me is Tao is a great guy, great teammate, easygoing, But for me, I just wanted to see a little bit more interest, a little bit more kind of urgency. And that play that he made, He's played considerable deep better than he did last year defensively, and I just really liked him selling out right there. And just that night I was talking about certain plays can change the course of a game, and the last play of the game doesn't win or lose the game. It's the plays that lead up to that last play, that last inning, and so that play that he made changed the outcome the course of that game, and so I just wanted to celebrate him right there.
Speaker 1: Don't forget this, Dave. You can't spell October without tao.
Speaker 2: Ha ha. I love it, David.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time and look you got out Klean. I never even asked you about the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. I'm sure you'll talk to me later. Thank you, David.
Speaker 1: Well, look to see how high the high five with you and Otani is before the game tonight.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. It's good to get show Hay back. And I still got a bad knee too, so I don't know how high we can get