Speaker 1: It's in the background. Good evening, everybody. Greetings from the original Montgomery in home of the world's greatest rips. Welcome to the Scott Saderfield Radio Show. I'm Dan Horde, along with the star of the show, the head coach of the number seventeen team in the country. It's here at Fort Scott Sadderfield. Had a big game coming up this week, a huge spotlight. The seventeenth rank Bearcats hitting the road to take on number twenty four Utah. ESPN's College Game Day is going to be there in Salt Lake City. It's a difficult game, but it's a fantastic opportunity.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, it will be a difficult game. I think this is this team's probably one of the more complete teams that we have played so far this year. And you gotta fly all the way across the country, you know, and play at a late hour, you know, ten fifteen or ten twenty whatever it is at night Eastern, and you know, in a hostile environment. You know, I've never played a game there, but everything we were hearing is loud. It's you know, great environment, game day environment. So yeah, well we're looking forward toward our guys are eager and hungry and excited for another opportunity to go out and show what we're made of.
Speaker 1: We visited yesterday. I asked you about watching Utah's tape from their game last week against Colorado. It sounded like you were sick to your stomach watching how good they were. More than four hundred rushing yards in that game. At halftime, it was forty three to nothing, and the halftime yardedge was three ninety eight for Utah minus eighteen for Colorado. That was one of the more dominant performances I've seen.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever seen that stat line at halftime where you have negative eighteen yards and almost four hundred yards. I mean, that is pure domination. Yeah, it was ugly early.
Speaker 3: That was a game.
Speaker 2: It was on late, I guess Saturday night, and so I watched a little bit of it, and man, second play, I think you know, and they started a true freshman quarterback and second.
Speaker 3: Play goes sixty three yards for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: They started blitzing Colorado and they I don't think they stopped the whole game.
Speaker 3: I mean they were in the backfield.
Speaker 2: So very impressive performance's out of Utah and you know, we got a lot of respect for that their program. You know, Kyle Whittingham's been there thirty two years at one place that has unheard of, and twenty one years as a head coach now, and so you know, he's done a marvelous job there has you know, great culture year in and year out. They're good, their defense is always good. You know, last year for them was a down year offenially, we're not that good, and went out and hired a new coordinator and got a new quarterback and it really really vitalized the program.
Speaker 3: When they're playing really good right.
Speaker 1: Now, he's only had three losing seasons in twenty one. Well this is the twenty first, so in the previous twenty years, last year was one of them. And again moving into the Big twelve, it's difficult in year one for everybody that's tried to do it, and it was a challenge for Utah last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was, you know, but I think for them, they you know, they still were in so a lot of those games, had injuries at quarterback last year. You know, some kind of shuffled a lot of guys around. I think it was for them, and the off season was to go out. Let's go out and find an identity for offense. And so they hired the offensive coordinator, which brought his quarterback. I think it was New Mexico, correct where they were at, and they put up some big numbers there. You know, more of a running style offense. You're going to see the quarterback that's going to be running with a lot of Q runs, trying to split the defense in half and really you know, manipulate that and then they're going to play action you and take the take shots down the field. They're very efficient, you know, really quite honestly. I mean, they'd look a lot like us of what they do. They're efficient in the red zone, they take care of the football, they play good defense, they can run and throw, you know, so I think it very sound in the special team. So to me, the very similar type teams, and both teams I think are very physical, you know. I think they get their pride themselves and being a physical team and playing hard, and I think that's what we do as well.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about what your team did last week in the win over Baylor, a twenty one point win over a very good team, a team that was number one in passing yards in the country going in averaging more than three hundred and thirty passing yards a game, held him till one thirty seven. That was remarkable.
Speaker 3: How did you do that? That was a great job.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, you know, I think first of all, just coach Fighten his staffed did a great job, you know, going getting in on Sunday and really dissecting what they're trying to do offensively, uh, Sunday Monday, putting together a great game plan, and then I'll be implementing that game plan with our guys.
Speaker 3: Our guys. Man did a great job on you know, throughout the week of.
Speaker 2: Putting that game plan in, and a lot of it was not you know, listen, we got to tighten up coverage, we got to play some different things, we played some more man uh, and the coverage was a lot more tighter.
Speaker 3: I thought that in this game, you know.
Speaker 2: And then also, you know, this quarterback wasn't a running he was not a running quarterback, so that there's some differences there. So you can put some more guys, you know, into an under coverages and not have to worry about the Q run like we did.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Basically the two previous games where the quarterbacks rushed for over one hundred yards, so it's a.
Speaker 3: Different type of game plan.
Speaker 2: But I thought they played out standing on defense and then you know, also creating two turnovers as well to really blow that game open in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: So UC's video department puts out incredible content every week. These Clifton cut switch is an inside look at the game, are just fantastic. I want to play a little snippet from the most recent one. This is audio of you speaking to the team on Friday night. Let's listen in.
Speaker 5: You gotta put your man in that phone booth.
Speaker 3: It's uncomfortable in there, all right, it's very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: They don't want to play in the phone booth because in the phone booth and you gotta where to go.
Speaker 4: You put your man in the phone booth.
Speaker 3: You know. Back, I'll play wide receiver. If I'm a one has corner, he's in full booth.
Speaker 4: I'll put him in a phone booth.
Speaker 2: They want to be out here, free space, basketball on grass.
Speaker 1: Put him in a phone booth, all right, You put him in a phone booth. Successfully on Saturday. The question is to eighteen to twenty two year old kids know what a phone.
Speaker 3: Booth is, probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will have a couple of players here at the bottom of the hour week and find.
Speaker 3: Out we need to ask them. Yeah, that's whole Dan.
Speaker 2: On Monday, I was like, you know, after I talked to the team about that, when I left the room, I was thinking to myself, I don't even know if they know what a phone booth is. That I hope they did. I hope they got the point. I think they got the point.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The point is, you know, you're in a tight space and we're gonna physically whip you, and you got nowhere to go. You can't hide, you can't run away. We're gonna make you like it. And that's just really a mindset and an attitude. And I thought our guys did a great job with that. And you think about an offensive line, and we've been talking about our OH line a lot this year. Well, we implemented the wheel against that defensive line to rush for two hundred and sixty five yards. We had fifty carries in this game. We occupied the ball, we kept their offense off the field. You know, But I did I think the same thing with our defense. You know, we got after them up front, you know, they had one big run. Other than that they did they couldn't run the football. And then I thought our dbs did a great job of being physical and you know, roughing up their receivers and I think that was the key to the game.
Speaker 1: What bathroom stall were is that just too.
Speaker 2: That's a tight that's a tight you know tight, that's tight quarters. I phone boots is a lot tighter, I mean than a bathroom. But yeah, that would have worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason, bathroom stall, it might be the wrong meaning.
Speaker 3: We'll skit that. So.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the rushing attack and it was balanced Brendan Soresby at eighty five yards, taw Wee Walker at eighty four, Evan Pryor had sixty six. Unfortunately, Evan limped off the field in the second half, and you said earlier today, at least at this stage of the week, you're going to list him as likely out with the hopes that maybe that will improve during the course of the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately he went out of the game there, you know, late in the game with a lower leg injury, and you know, again he'll be listed as out, you know, and obviously as we progress, we have a bye week next week, you know, and we'll see how things work out. But you certainly, but particularly at that position, you need to be one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean that that position, at running back.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to be running full speed when these guys are chasing you.
Speaker 3: And he's a speed guy as it is.
Speaker 2: You know, but I think, uh, you know, we'll see and if you can't play, then we got some other guys.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, opportunities.
Speaker 2: You know, Manny Cove is a guy who's I think has played really well this year in our special teams. He's on all four units. He's our punk return guy, so he's been playing. You know, had a big punk return against Kansas, you know, they got called back.
Speaker 3: He scored I.
Speaker 2: Think against who was a Baylor we scored, or Central Florida he scored two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: No oh, Oklahoma State touchdown, Yeah, final touchdown there.
Speaker 2: So he's got some he's got some juice and I think he can do some great things for us. Of course, you know, Tywee's a guy who could you know, increase his carriages as well? You know, tywise two hundred and twenty pounds. We haven't I don't even know what the most we've allowed him to carry this year. But I mean he certainly could be a guy who could up his carries if need be. Uh, we got confidence in our in our guys that that will be playing as well. You know some of the other guys you got chance Williams Zion's and a true freshman.
Speaker 3: And I think, man, he's very talented.
Speaker 2: So so there are some other guys I think they could potentially play.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got a packed house of Bearcat fans. We want to open up questions to the Bearcat fans who are with us this evening, So we'll take a time out and come back with questions from the audience in just a moment. This is the Scott Saderfield Radio Show, live from the original Montgomery in on seven hundred WLW. Second and goal from the one source be hands it off. Tawie Walker boats is off a defender and goes into the end zone for a Bearcat touchdown, one of three rushing touchdowns for Cincinnati last week and a twenty one point win over the Baylor bear cincinnati seventh consecutive victory. The Bearcats are tied for first in the Big Twelve with BYU and UC has climbed to number seventeen in the country. Our friend John Daniel is here with the wireless mike. It is time to take questions from the audience for coach sat Brian. You're up first, coach.
Speaker 6: I remember I think it was last was last year's lights first year or was it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: So the defense progressed, you know, learning a news system, and you started to see the different says later in the year, and I feel like we kind of saw that against Baylor in the sense that you were pressing more, you weren't playing off.
Speaker 4: How much of that is.
Speaker 6: Just becoming more comfortable and how much of that is knowing that you might need to disrupt what that pass offense is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think probably just trying to disrupt their their rhythm, their pass offense. I think, you know, their quarterback, I thought, you know, obviously was you know, one of the better passing quarterbacks in the country, and they leaned on it a lot. You know, he was throwing it around fifty times a game, you know, and so we had.
Speaker 3: To show on some different looks.
Speaker 2: We had to you know, walk guys up and sometimes you know, I think, you know, you get a little handsy. We've got a few more PI calls against us in the secondary. But you know, but I thought we were aggressive, which I think was better for us in this game, you know, and then utilizing some different coverage techniques and it wasn't just the same coverages. I think we played a lot of different things covered, two, covered, three man, free, all the different type coverages.
Speaker 3: And obviously it.
Speaker 2: Rattled the quarterback a little, but he had some errant throws there and some tighter windows and not just the free access throws Claude.
Speaker 7: I just wondered on that pass interference in the end zone where it looked like it was so far out of bounds freem Abdul Jabbar couldn't have caught it. What was What was what the official say to you on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you would think you'd use some common sense. You know, we talk about this every week. I think with that ball looked like it was way over everybody's head and out of bounds, and uh, you know what they say is that, well, you know, had he not the defender had not you know, been there to grab him, but he might could have jumped up and caught it, you know. So that's what they say, Yeah, that's what they say, and I'm thinking, man, I don't know what what y'all are looking at, but it's.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's uh.
Speaker 2: That's what they say, and that's a judgment call, and you know, I can argue it, but I'm not gonna win that argument unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Victor wembin Yama, by the way, is the current reference for a really tall person who couldn't possibly get to the throat. Keith Hi, Dan High coach.
Speaker 8: I didn't get to see any of Utah's destruction of Colorado, but the stats speak for themselves. Are they more of a team that's just gonna line it up and try to drive it right down your throat?
Speaker 1: Or they're gonna try to do some misdirection spreads?
Speaker 3: You out?
Speaker 8: What type of thing are you looking to defend this Saturday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they certainly want to run the football, that that's their mo but they will throw it. I think they We have to look at the stats, but I think they have around the same number of pass attempts that we do. You know, so how many times we're throwing a game? That's kind of what they've been doing. So they will throw the football, you know, throwing you know, several double digit touchdown passes.
Speaker 3: But they want to try to manipulate you.
Speaker 2: They'll do they'll do some different spread you out, run some motions, pull guards and tackles, and just.
Speaker 3: Try to misdirection you in a running game.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, they're gonna pull it and throw it down the field when you're you know, bringing all your safeties up to stop the run. So it's just, well, does offense of what they do. You have to stop the run. Because you don't stop the run, it'll be a long day for you. And so we're gonna have to, you know, commit guys down close to the box to be able to stop that run and get them down fundamentally sound, have good eye control. I mean, all these different things, they're gonna present much different problems for our defense than say Baylor of last week fellas.
Speaker 9: Coach, other than the fact that we have to travel out to Utah. It's a ten to fifteen kickoff, which is better than a ten o'clock ten thirty kind of kickoff, and it's in a high altitude. Utah is ranked, and it's college game day. What excites you about this game for us?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, just another opportunity in the Big Twelve and you're playing a ranked team again. You know, we beat Alway State when they were ranked. You're playing another ranked team here. You know, our goal is to go you get to Dallas and play for a Big twelve championship, you know, and we've you know, we've done a really good job in the first five games, and now we have four lets up and this is the next one on the schedule. You know, we're excited about our guys are They've worked extremely hard to put themselves in this position at this time of year. You know, you're sitting here going into our ninth game and we're still in a great position to go play for a Big twelve championship. So that's that's what's exciting about this opportunity, and we're gonna take advantage of it.
Speaker 10: Wait, coach, you know Baylor came in with the number one rank passing offense in the country. Were you surprised that they came out We're gonna run against you. I mean, did they look at films on the Oklahoma State game and think, you know, we can just pound it well and in the second half we were up big. I thought him they're gonna came out slinging it and they come out and handed.
Speaker 3: It and run it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was interesting throughout the week or early in the week at coach Horanda's press conference, they mentioned about we're at our best when we can run the football, and so I think they came in, listen, let's try to establish some sort of run, create a little bit of balance for ourselves on offense, you know.
Speaker 3: But I think our guys did a great job of.
Speaker 2: Really kind of shutting that down, and then they had to resort more to the pass. Like I said before, they broke off one run on a long run. We were getting ready to bring pressure from the field, they hit it in the boundary. That was about it really in the running game. There was nothing consistent in the running game.
Speaker 3: For them, you know.
Speaker 2: And I thought our guys guys did a really good job. We did a little bit more of the four man front this game, walking up our linebacker on the edge to have four guys right there to help with stop that run. But again, I thought it was a good plan by our guys, our defensive staff and man obviously did a great job with that.
Speaker 1: Who's next, I got a question for you as far as traveling is concerned.
Speaker 11: When you're playing at a ten to fifteen game, when do you go out there and when do you come home? I mean do Yeah, you know, the game's not over till late, so you spend the night there.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, so we're you know, it's interesting you bring this up there. There's there's there's been some obviously some studies because now ACC is having to have these same games, the big ten are having these same type games where you're traveling east coast to west coast and the west coast to east coast, and so this year I've seen more teams actually go out a day early. They've gone out on Thursday to try to get acclimated to the time change.
Speaker 3: We're going out on Friday.
Speaker 2: We're pushing it back leaven later on Friday, you know, trying to push that thing back on Friday. Once we get there, stay up a little bit later Saturday. We're gonna sleep in a little bit longer, so you know, try to sleep in till you know, nine thirty or ten on Saturday, since it is going to be a late kickoff. And you know, it's like, all right, what do you do all day. Well, you know, we eat a lot. You know, well there's three big meals and some snacks. I mean, I'm like, I look at our schedules, like every two and a half hours. I mean, my gosh, I can't eat this much. But but we gotta make sure we're eating. We eat a lot of food and hydrate. But also we'll do some walk throughs. I think it's about three walked through we'll get them off their feet, you know. But once it gets to about four hours before kickoff, it's the same routine we do for every game.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. Yeah, pregame meal, we have another walk through, and then.
Speaker 2: We go on the bus and we head to the stadium about two hours and fifteen minutes prior to kick Well, after the game, we were always get back home, so you know, no matter when, whenever this game is over, we'll pack up. Takes about an hour, hour and a half. We'll get on that plane and we'll head back. I think we're supposed to arrive, you know, between six and six thirty on Sunday morning. Yeah, so it's it's yes, what time we'll get home, so we'll maybe you know, it's a long day, fortunately, for us. We have a bye week the Fall League, so we'll we'll probably take a Sunday off, We'll rest on Sunday and then you know, get back in on Monday for the bye week practices. But it's a difficult trip. But I do think it's more difficult on.
Speaker 3: The back end.
Speaker 2: You know, if we had another game the very next week, that that would be hard because you're gonna feel that effect. But since we have a bye week, I think that's that's certainly gonna have benefit us.
Speaker 11: I like to make a comment to Dingle, was I thought he played tremendously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he played really well. You know, Dingle, we had him all over the field. He was one of the guys I was talking about. We walked up on the line of scrimmage. You know, he's able to call some problems there in the backfield, and I thought he had an excellent game, one of his better games, you know, of the season.
Speaker 9: Just a curious question, So how did Brendan handle being called.
Speaker 10: Sorely in a sudden.
Speaker 1: For those who don't get the reference, Nick Saban did a feature on Brendan Soresby on College Game Day last week and repeatedly referred to him as sorely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was funny. I was actually watching it.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know what he's saying, and and mcphiel or Pat McAfee and uh and Curt Heirstbry are both looking and kind of laughing there.
Speaker 3: Like over there giggling, you know.
Speaker 2: And and then Matt and Pat and made a comment about it right after he did that.
Speaker 3: But uh, I mean he took it all in stride. I mean it was he thought it was funny.
Speaker 2: We were joking with him too, you know, like, you know, you're gonna come out here and play like Soorsby or McSorley.
Speaker 3: How are you gonna play here? You know he's but he took it a strike.
Speaker 2: We still joke about it today and hopefully somebody gives coach Saban.
Speaker 3: The heads up of how to pronounce it this week.
Speaker 1: Rick Saban is an excellent coach. Any any more questions for Coach Saderfield, Yes, we've got some over here.
Speaker 12: There's there's something to be said about the culture and leadership of his team. I know, coming in here in a shift and change and it takes time to do that.
Speaker 1: Can you just kind of speak a little bit to.
Speaker 12: That journey to you know where that has come from, because it just feels like it's just different. You know, this year, these guys have just really bonded. You have great leadership, you know, on and off the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, we probably don't have enough time for for all that. I mean, you know, for what happened when we first got here to where we are right now.
Speaker 3: It's night and day, I mean quite honestly.
Speaker 2: And you know, anytime you make a coach and change, and we're seeing a lot of those, that's gonna happen this year. I mean, what is it ten or eleven? Are we not even November yet? Man, I don't know what's happening. But anytime that happens, you know, especially now with this portal, I mean, guys are leaving it. You know, you don't even know who's on your team, who's not on your team. There's so much unknown with the players and like who's gonna be the coach and all this and that, Well you know that happened here, you know, and when I first got here, and so you're trying to figure all that out. You're trying to recruit and almost that year is like a zero year. Because you just get here so late. It's hard to get the players in here, and now you've got to get some portal guys in here. You're late on that. Well, then you go play your first season. We played our first.
Speaker 3: Season not in the American we're into Big twelve.
Speaker 2: You were playing a lot of different teams in that Big twelve conference, and we learned a lot, which was great for us, and then we were able to keep a lot of those guys and then, you know, we brought in a whole new crew the following year, and our team got better.
Speaker 3: They certainly got better, the culture got better.
Speaker 2: And then we were able to do that one more time and were able to keep a lot of those same guys again that had went through all those things that first year. They none of those guys had forgotten the last time we went to Oklahoma State, you know, the last time you know, Baylor came played us here. Like those guys still remember and they've told all these guys that are here what we went through. And I think it's just built up to where we are right now. We have a bunch of great young people in that building, but we have great staff and we're all on the same page.
Speaker 3: I think that that is critical.
Speaker 2: We all you know hurt the same, we all you know are excited the same.
Speaker 3: It's just we're all together.
Speaker 2: I think anytime you're all together like that, no matter what happens, negative or positive, you're able to stick together and you're gonna come out on the other side.
Speaker 3: So it's been good.
Speaker 1: Squeeze in one more quick question. I just want to say, go bear Cats. Yeah, all right, I like it. All right, we need to take a commercial break. We will go and do it. On that note. This is the Scott Sanderfield Radio Show. We are alive at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest rips, and we will meet two bear Cat players when we come back. On seven hundred wlb first and goal from the six. Soresby fakes the handoff, throws.
Speaker 13: Upside of the end zone, touchdown Cyrus Allen touchdown pass number nineteen for Brendan Soresby, and later in the game he threw touchdown pass number twenty. This year twenty touchdown passes, only one pick for the Bearcat quarterback. Cincinnati with a seven game winning streak heading into a big game on Saturday night against number twenty four Utah.
Speaker 1: All right, it's part of the show. We love an opportunity to get to know two members of the Bearcat football team. Allow me to introduce you to this week's guest. Immediately to my right is a red shirt junior from Cincinnati attended Indian Hill High School. He is the son of one of the greatest Bearcats ever who happens to be here tonight. Our guest is number forty six, let's hear it for Antwine Peak Junior. Oh and really nice to see in the house. And our other guest is a sophomore who played high school football in Phoenix City, Alabama, at Central High School. Went a very few true freshmen in Bearcat history to start a season opener, which he did last year in his first game as a college player. He wears the number nine Chikwan Sanks. All right, we've got the master of forcing fumbles and the master of recovering fumbles at the same table tonight. So, Antoine, you forced two this year for last year. That six forced fumbles in the last year and a half. And Jaquan you have recovered two fumbles in the last three weeks. I'm gonna start with recovering what's it like at the bottom of a pile.
Speaker 14: You see the ball and you just get on it, like get the ball really, just like feel a lot of people just jumping on toffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything nasty going down there to you know, try to rip it away when you get your hands on.
Speaker 4: It, trying to take it from you at the bottom of.
Speaker 1: That you haven't been nobody's tried to bite you or you know, kick you where it hurts the most.
Speaker 3: I got that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope I won't get that.
Speaker 1: I hope you don't get that. And Antoine, let's talk about forcing them. Your dad was the all time master of that as a bear cap. But you are following nicely in his footsteps. Six in a year and a half. How how have you done it? How do you force that many?
Speaker 5: I mean I'm just running to the ball for real. I mean my dad, I mean she isn't going in the garage, you know, doing boxing drills, all that stuff, but just doing all those things. Is growing up, always running to the ball, and you know he always told me, just trying to get the ball out.
Speaker 4: So I mean this is what I do.
Speaker 1: Father taught you. Well, he's working out very well and in fact, congratulations are in a order to you because they're today. You were named a semi finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which goes every year.
Speaker 4: That I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes every year to the best defensive back in college football. Kobe Bryant of Cincinnati won the award back in twenty twenty one. Nice to see Kobe back on campus at the game last week for homecoming. But that means you're one of fifteen semi finalists for this award. What was your reaction when they let you know.
Speaker 5: Well, I kind of just found out on the way to the facility actually, just getting ready to go eat some watch and I just saw my phone like Antoine peak, you know, a semi finals.
Speaker 4: I'm like, that's pretty cool, you know.
Speaker 5: I was just kind of speechless, but yeah, I mean it's really cool. But you know, we still got four games left, so just really just focused on that and trying to keep all that in the back of my mind is right now and just focus on these last four games.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be more than four.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Chakwan, What was your reaction when you heard that one of your brother was nominated for such a prestigious award.
Speaker 14: That was crazy, Like for him to be somebody like that I look up to and like to follow his steps when I've seen that, like as a defensive bat that's an award you want, like.
Speaker 4: Especially like that's no doubt him do that, yes, sir so.
Speaker 1: Over the last couple of years, Cincinnati has played a three three five defense with three safeties. The middle safety is known as the star position. Both of you guys spend a lot of time playing that position, and it's a challenging one because it's really like safety slash linebacker. Right, You've got a lot of responsibilities. Jaikwan, Let's start with you describe what goes into playing the star position at Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: You gotta be a dB in the linebacker.
Speaker 14: You gotta not fitting the runs, playing coverage, read the defense. Like I want to say the quarterback of the defense, but it's up yeah, yeah, it's in self position in the place.
Speaker 1: So Antoine, same thing for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, pretty much the same thing he just said. You know, we're I mean, don't really want to say quarterback of the defense, but I mean we kind of are in the way, you know, we're kind of just telling everyone just like just telling them like the signal or whatever, and you know, we gotta do a little bit of everything. We gotta fit the run, we gotta be able to cover. And you know, it's a really good mixture of both being able to tackle people, hit people and being able to cover.
Speaker 4: You know, get.
Speaker 5: Bbu's you know, that's that's quands thing right there. But yeah, just being able to do a little bit of everything. You know, the last line of defense, so we got to get the last person down.
Speaker 1: So Antoine is a semi finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award. I don't know if they have an award for best podcaster among CODs football players, but you have entered the podcast space along with Kaye Stokes. Are you enjoying the Four Claps podcast.
Speaker 14: I'm enjoying it. It's fun, Like I feel like a little youtubeer. Just sit right there, ask my team learn more about that.
Speaker 1: You're doing a heck of a job. Now. I've got a son in college, so I need to hold onto my job for a while longer, So good for a while. We love it when we have players join us on this show to have each of you talk about the other. Because I've found over the years that sometimes it's hard to talk about yourself, but you're happy to share thoughts about the guys that you become so close with. His teammates, So and Twine, you start first share some thoughts on Jakwan.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think he's an amazing player, you know, just like seeing the things that he's been doing since he first got here, you know, it's like it almost like inspires me in a way, just like his work ethic, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's the first true freshman in.
Speaker 5: A while to you know, started uh open season or and he's doing a lot of good things right now, and for sure, without a doubt in my mind, he's going to go into the league. So just seeing the things that he's doing right now and the things that he's going to continue to do, you know, I'm just excited for the things that he's going to do in the future.
Speaker 1: Triquat your thoughts on Antwine, I can't even I don't even know how to start.
Speaker 14: If she's like he like just saying like when I first came in, seeing how he's working, like like I'm surprised he's just not getting the reconitione again, like you see Pete practice like you would think it's the first round of going into like just saying how you practice. So like with him getting the gym Thorpe, I don't see me finance. It's not a surprised or nothing, but that seen every day sending the work that he put in. So like if you're a young guy coming in like he's somebody most definite want to look up to, just seeing how he attacked the ball, get the ball back, his love for the game, and how he just make it look so easy. Like just with me watching him at like watching film and seeing what he do helped my game out.
Speaker 1: How did you wind up at Cincinnati having played high school football now Alabama?
Speaker 14: The coaches like it's just consistent, Like the coaches made it feel like family. I wanted to go somewhere like it's far from home, so it's still felt like home though that far from being that far away from months, like an eight hour drive.
Speaker 1: So and in your case and Twine, I think we know, uh, why you wind up at Dad's in the Hall of Fame. You're from the area, and how do you feel about how things have worked out for you playing for your hometown school.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's definitely worked out pretty good, you know. To be honest, I kind of got my phone call to come here a little late, you know, I I got this, Uh, I got the call. It was like April of twenty twenty two, you know, so it's kind of late. But in the meantime, I didn't really know what I was gonna do up until I got that that call from UH Coach Fickle when he was here and gave me the preferred walking on spot. And you know, I took that pretty much immediately. And then and you know, a year later, you know, Coach that came in. You know, he saw the things that I've done, and I really appreciate him for the things that he's been doing for me, and you know it's still doing for the whole team in general. You know, it's just it has been really grateful far.
Speaker 1: I think he appreciates you. Trust me, all Right, We're gonna take a time out when we come back. Questions from the audience for our special guest to Antwine Peak Junior and Jaquan Sanks. This is the Scott Centerfield Radio Show. We're live at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest rips on seven hundred WLW Soresby waiting for the shotgun snap. Soresby fakes a handoff, running to the ten for five and high steps.
Speaker 13: His way into the end zone for a bear Cat touchdown.
Speaker 1: Let's hope that Brendan Soresby is doing that again frequently. On Saturday night in Salt Lake City, when the Bearcats look to knock off the twenty fourth rank Utah Utes, we are at the original Montgomery in with our special guests Antwine Peaks Junior, and Jaquan Sanks. We have some time for questions from the audience. Take it away.
Speaker 15: I was just wondering if like there was a certain way you guys prepared for environment like Utah, like zarre Away, you guys set up and like prepare for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean kind of today in the indoor facility, you know, they guy speakers all around the facility, so they were just playing a whole bunch of crowd noises in you know, it's a pretty tight space, I guess, but it just kind of echoes around, so you know, it gets pretty loud in there. So I guess that's that's how we were preparing for him.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 1: Your season opener was a Narrowhead Stadium against Nebraska. It was basically filled with Nebraska fans. Jakwan. Do you feel like that prepared you for any amount of noise that you could hear on Saturday?
Speaker 14: For sure, especially been in the NFL stadium we went in at the warm ups, I was I was looking at the crowd. I'm like, all right, it made lack of the NFL preseason game. It's not would be too bad. We came out, we came out of the tunnel like getting ready.
Speaker 4: To play in like it was field. My heart dropped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been to a lot of NFL preseason games that was not like that. Yeah, you're right, You're right. In fact, as I've said before on this show, I've done playoff games in Kansas City. That game was louder. The UC Nebraska game was louder than Bengals Chiefs Bob Hey, guys.
Speaker 16: So we got this a new IPF and locker rooms and you know, conditioning and recovery. Has it made a difference in how you recover after the game? And what's your most favorite room?
Speaker 14: My favorite room, I say probably the steaming sauna. Like it just clean you, like it clean your body, make you feel better, like I say that for sure, Like yes, sir and Twine.
Speaker 4: It used to be the hot tub.
Speaker 5: Coach that would always come in the you come from out the steam room and like you gots soft in this hot tug, you gotta get steam room.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I used to be soft, I guess.
Speaker 5: But now I've been getting in the steading room a little bit and you know, get all the little sickness out of you.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it used to be hot to and now it's to see him.
Speaker 1: Nobody answers the cold top mm hmm.
Speaker 3: We can't do that one.
Speaker 4: It's a little too cold to Brian.
Speaker 6: I expected Dan to ask you about this. Do you guys know what a phone booth is? And how do you keep a wide receiver in a phone booth?
Speaker 3: How does that?
Speaker 4: How does that work?
Speaker 14: So when Coach Sat said it, like I knew what he meant by but they was telling me about a phone booth, I ain't know it's that small, like so I didn't know it was that small. And to keep wire receiving the phone booth, it's like making them uncomfortable a game, you know, down they don't like they like being comfortable doing all that running for you gotta make them uncomfortable, best of them a little bit.
Speaker 1: Gary, Yeah, that's just for both of you.
Speaker 17: Earlier in the year, it seemed like our defense was more of a laid back, prevent maybe type of defense. Especially this last Saturday, you played a lot more up going downhill press, doing a lot more blitzing. Do you guys like that better than the laid back or is that just one day and trying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, I feel like it's definitely different every week. You know, we gotta get a new game plan every single week, so it just kind of varies. But I definitely do like the blitz a little bit. I definitely say that. So just getting more pressure on the quarterback definitely helps with you know, the secondary and getting more stops, you know, turning the ball over.
Speaker 4: Just little things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to weigh in on that.
Speaker 14: I'm not to group come down here, been in the din't know to play free, but our coach do do a good job, like as a go week by week as game planning too, like the offense that we're going against, So just a pants but I kind of like being lower and more.
Speaker 1: Aggressive, yes, sir, all right, any more questions from the audience. If so, raise your hand. John will find you. Otherwise I will, I will reach into my bag of tricks. Anybody else? All right? Apparently not, It's up to me. That's fine. Let's talk about Utah's quarterback situation. Damn Pierre, their starter, missed last week with an ankle injury. Bird Fickland stepped in and was outstanding. It sounds like Damn Pierre is going to come back and play this week. Does the Utah offense change much or are you basically preparing for what they do offensively regardless of which guy's playing quarterback.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of say we kind of preparing just like in general kind of they both kind of do the same thing. You know, they definitely have a little bit of their differences, but they both can for sure run the ball, so we're definitely preparing for that. Yeah, But I mean, I mean, they don't really know yea, yeah.
Speaker 14: They probably like they're the same type of quarterbacks. So we have to prepare for everything overall. So we're going into the game preparing and watching both of them expect to get the same thing.
Speaker 1: Tarn Tayle spoke with reporters earlier today, and he made the point of saying both teams are blue collar teams, and he meant it as a like a nod of respect to Utah. The way they play, how hard they play similar to Cincinnati. Do you guys feel the same way, Jakwan you son.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel the same way. Like when you watch a.
Speaker 14: Film, they show up their physical, fast effort like us. They look a lot like us with the physical.
Speaker 4: Effort, just flying around, playing hard and ty Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, just like what Kwan said, they're really physical. What was gonna come down to is, you know who's going to be more physical longer? You know, the more physical and the more violent. Uh, team is gonna win at the end of the day. So we've got to be more physical and more violent than they are.
Speaker 1: College game Day is going to be there. Some ESPN cameraman types were walking around the building today, so it's some nice publicity for the program.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, you guys earned that. How does it feel to have continued to climb in the rankings and to have been, you know, good enough to this point of the season that ESPN wants Cincinnati and Utah to be the college game day game?
Speaker 5: Antwine Yeah, it definitely feels good, you know, coming from when coach that first guy here, you know, not the greatest, uh, and then the next year, you know, we improved a lot, got a new a lot of new players, and then to this year, you know, being even better. You know, it's definitely been pretty good so far. And yeah, a question out that that's all right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, like what Pete said, really like, uh, we're not really surprised. It feels good though, Like last year wasn't that far off. Like a lot of the games who lost was close series games, just one play that could turn the game around. So it was just little things that we had to fix. This year we turned around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of add on to that, we just gotta we just can't at this point, you know, we're feeling good, but we can't let that just let us slow us down. We just gotta keep going. We gotta keep fighting and just finish off the season strong.
Speaker 1: How did you guys hold Baylor to one hundred and thirty seven passing yards last week?
Speaker 14: I mean, at first, I want to say shout out of coach, right, he like the game plan we had and just the rest of the defensive staff and like they did the game plan they had for us going to the game. It wasn't like a pass up like playback let them. Was just our guys, beeny guys, and we're finished. We're gonna play play the game plan and we execute it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean exactly what he just said. And add a little bit more to that. You know, we knew we had to be more physical than they are. We knew that they were a pretty physical team.
Speaker 4: We knew that.
Speaker 5: They might throw a little couple of cheap shots in, but we had to keep our composure. So yeah, I just say we were more aggressive and more physical than they were. And you know, we had a really good game plan and it allowed us to be physical.
Speaker 1: Let's see if Cincinnati's all time leader in sacks, tackles for loss, blocked field goals, forced fumbles happens to have a question and Twine.
Speaker 18: Okay, this question is from mom. What is your favorite football moment up to this moment?
Speaker 1: Hm, hm Antoine, your first.
Speaker 5: I'd probably say Kansas, Uh, you know, the fourth quarter stop force fumble that I had. Uh, that would probably be my favorite moment that I've had so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forcing a fumble at the one yard line that was, and I'm sure Antoine's mom would be interested to know your answer to the same question. Jaquan, your favorite moment is a bearcat so.
Speaker 14: Far, I'm might have to say were like, we want to be our states starting the field That was too Finn.
Speaker 1: You gotta do that, You gotta do that good? The field storming was good. Did you guys stay out there and linger and take it all in?
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 18: And last question, with the success that you guys are having thus far this season, what are your goals for the remainder of the season.
Speaker 14: I stay taking it on one week at a time and don't want to know each week, like taking it each day at a time. Continue to grow as a team, getting better every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just got a stack daze.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: That's something that we've been talking about pretty much every single days, second days, and just being consistent in our routine and everything that we do. So as long as we do those things, I think that we will be good.
Speaker 4: Well, my goal for you guys to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very realistic goal. You know. It's interesting because I've been on some shows as a guest where they're asking me about the matchup this week, and they make it sound like Cincinnati hasn't been good for ages. Cincinnati was in the fourteen playoffs four years ago. I mean, this is not ancient history. And you guys have a realistic chance. The playoff is twelve teams now. The number one goal is to get to Dallas and play for the Big twelve Championship. And if you can get there, if you win it, you definitely go. And even if you lose it, you could conceivably have a chance to go to the twelve team playoff. But that that goal of making it to Dallas. Going back to spring football, guys were saying it openly. I mean, you guys really embrace that is something that that was the target to shoot for, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So yeah, we were definitely you know, all off season, you know, we were breaking it down on Dallas, and then as he got closer to the season, you know, we kind of realized like, yeah, we want to get to Dallas, but we can't get to Dallas without week one. So yeah, we just we just really just kind of toned in on that and just realized, like we gotta you know, this week is the most important week, So we got to be worried about this week first, and we got to beat them first in order to get it to Dallas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you got to take care of business every week in order to reach that ultimate goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I said the same with Pete sand like every we we're looking at looking at it like everything we play is in the way of us get into Dallas. So this week you turn away with us get in Dallas. We gotta handle out all right.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys not only play the star position, but you are stars legitimately. And congratulations on a great season today, Best of luck on Saturday night in Salt Lake City and keep it rolling. Let's hear at for Antoine and Jaquad that is going to just about do it for our show tonight. For the folks who are here at the original Montgomery and stick around, we've got some stuff to give away. If you are listening on the radio, thanks for tuning in. You've been listening to the Scott Centerfield Radio Show on seven hundred WLW.