Speaker 1: Six nine in the Queen City of Cincinnati, chick Ludwigs seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 2: This is Sports Talk.
Speaker 3: Sean McMahon is tonight's producer, And like Eric Carmon and the Raspberries, We're going all the way to nine o'clock. It's Championship Saturday. In the world of college football, the Bengals face the Bill's, an extremely important NFL game on Sunday. The MLS Cup got decided today with Inner Miami knocking off Vancouver three to one. College hoops breaking out all over the land, with Iowa State giving it to Purdue at on the.
Speaker 2: Boilers home court.
Speaker 3: Lopsided loss for the Purdue boiler Makers. The twenty twenty six World Cup drawl was Friday, with the US Men landing in Group D with a first round match against Paraguay in Los Angeles next June. And oh yeah, the Cincinnati Reds are being mentioned in the running for Philadelphia Phillies free agent designated hitter and Middletown native Kyle Schwarber. But I want to start tonight with what happened last night at Sintas Center in the Skyline Chile Crosstown shootout, not the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown, as mentioned on the TNT broadcast and the final as we all know Xavier seventy nine, U see seventy four and really, folks, it's like I'm strapped in a chair in a dark room with a flashlight shining in my eyes, and I've just been injected with truth serum. And the truth is Xavier owns Cincinnati, the Musketeers own the bear Cats, and Trey Carrol deserves the key to the Queen City. You talk about an overnight sensation. Carol just endeared himself to Xavier fans everywhere, embedded himself in Musketeer lore for the rest of his life. The musky six foot eight two and thirty five pounds forward, also known as Aquaman because of the length of his frame and his long, flowing locks that cascade halfway down his back, was unstoppable thirty points, seven rebounds and assist, a block, a steal, a three pointer. He was everywhere fourteen of twenty three from the floor, making shots from the baseline in the paint with his left hand and his right hand. You see, cannot shoot the ball with any kind of consistency. The Bearcats are known more for their defense, but the Bearcats couldn't stop Trey Carroll or containing as u See suffered its eleven straight loss at Sentas Center, and head coach Wes Miller lost to his third Xavior.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 3: Savior fans are with delight. They're laughing at their crosstown rival. UC fans, meanwhile, are angry and have every right to be.
Speaker 2: What a scene last night.
Speaker 3: This is the place to fence right here, seven hundred WLW. I want to hear from Xavier fans. I want to hear from UC fans because I've got my coffee, I've got my computer. All I need is you At five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand and one, eight hundred the Big One. The place was going crazy, and I loved Xavier coach Richard Patino afterward the interview with TNT, he called the Sintas Center crowd amazing. This is why I wanted to come to Xavier, Patino said, because it's one of the best fan bases and one of the best home courts in all of college basketball. That's Xavier. Whatever happened to UC, I knew Xavier would win this game. The Musketeers are more poised, more aggressive, and the more complete team. From our very own Lance McAllister, host of Sports Talk on seven hundred WLW Richard Patino has done more in three weeks to tweak, reinvent, and improve Xavier than Wes Miller has done with the Bearcats in four plus years and one hundred and fifty games. And even Bearcat legend Nicky Van Exel chimes in to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. You see, x is a big rivalry game and it should be treated as such. One team played like it and the other didn't. Held disappointing for UC fans and the alumni. Unbelievable five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one at halftime. I mean, I'm watching the first half, and even the guys in the TNT studio Chris Weber and Jalen Rose said, you see, take it inside, use your height instead of passing the ball around the perimeter for twenty five seconds and then hurling up a three. You see did come back from thirteen down to make a close at the end, but you have to be able to close, and that's what the Xavier Musketeers did.
Speaker 2: Behind Trey Carroll.
Speaker 3: The Aqua man, And how cool was his interview after the game.
Speaker 2: He points across the court.
Speaker 3: To his family, to his wife and said, yeah, we're gonna go get some dinner. He said, I'm gonna drink some minute made pink lemonade and maybe have a slice of pizza. Talk about enduring yourself to a fan base. That's what Trey Carroll did last night. We're not messing around. I'm riding this pony till it drops. Let's go out to the phones. Bryce's in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: I chicken, I just wanted to talk about the Big twelve championship. I mean at the trophy ceremony, Jully McGuire said, don't let the Red Raiders get hot. And they're entering the college with my playoff with the fullhead of steam. As they have won every single game this season by twenty points or more.
Speaker 3: I would not want to play the Texas Tech Red Raiders right now.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: The speed on both sides of the ball, the aggressiveness on defense, just incredible.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: They force four turnovers by BYU in the second half. BYU didn't have a prayer and how about giving up a chip shot field goal to go up by two? Scores when it's thirteen to seven. Okay, the Red Raiders gave that up and they wind up throwing an incomplete pass, so they're back on defense. But they get an interception and score a touchdown on the next two plays to blow this thing wide open.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: You're right, Bryce, the Texas Tech Red Raiders look fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just love the tenacity that Joey McGuire coaches with. He just brings so much fire out of this Red Raiders team.
Speaker 5: They just want the ball.
Speaker 4: They just want to force a fumble or get an interception every single no matter what, no matter what situation or whatever. And the defensive performance today by Texas Tech shows exactly why this recruiting staff for Texas Tech focused so much on that front. Seven two forced bubbles and that linebacker Brian Roberts also got two interceptions to one player of the game. So just absolutely amazing play by Texas Tech today against BYU.
Speaker 3: Get.
Speaker 4: It's hard to beat a team twice in a row in a season because that losing team has a plan, They understand the mistakes they made and they want to go out and get their revenge. So BYU was playing with hate, but Texas Tech stood their ground and won in convincing fashion.
Speaker 3: The final was thirty four to seven, twenty one unanswered points to the second half. A very impressive performance by Texas Tech and they deserve to be one of the get one of the buys, one of the four buys in the twelve team college football playoff. Bryce, I appreciate the call man, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: You have a great rescue for your weekend chicks.
Speaker 3: All right, the rest of them, all right, Bryce, appreciate you. Nick is on the east side, Nick.
Speaker 6: Can cow are you doing tonight?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: We're hanging in there. My head is swimming. Just spent all day with the remote in my hands. You're watching college football, high school football, college basketball. I'm going crazy here, Nick. But last night, I mean I came on glued watching that game the Crosstown shut.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I attended the game. My wife's a barricade. I've got a daughter who's a barricad, so I was kind of rooting for them. I don't really care much for each team. I think they're both bad basketball teams. It's some of the worst free throughly shooting I've ever witnessed.
Speaker 7: In my life.
Speaker 6: Was the difference. Yeah, yeah, the game has lost. It's lost there though, checking that the Xavier fans that they're tough to watch.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 6: The Cintas centered is tired. The game has lost it. I'm going home to watch some college football. I can't watch basketball until March.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't blame you, Nick, uh. I want to fall in love with college basketball again. I'm not there yet. I don't know any of these players. I'm getting to know Trey Carroll, that's for sure. Uh oh yeah, totally new rosters. It's just crazy. How how do we endear ourselves to certain players when they come in for one year.
Speaker 6: It's very tough. I used to know, you know, both rosters when the game back when the game was great, even just you know, four or five years ago. But since Twast has come in, it's kind of lost a fluster, you see, probably needs a make over. But it's all about college football. It's all about Joe Burrow. Tomorrow, we're gonna crawl back.
Speaker 7: Into this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah oh yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that. I expect a Bengals victory. Yes, sir, all right, Nick, appreciate you all right, Sick, Thanks so much, Mike, is in Campbell County wants to talk cross town shootout.
Speaker 9: Mike, how are you? And I my man fan call your show?
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks so much for calling. Welcome to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: So I'm gonna give you heads up. I'm a I'm a Louisville fan, but yeah, I rude for Xavier, I rude for UC, and I agree with what you just said a couple of minutes ago about Richard Patino has changed that team around and Wes Miller is not. And that's really I hate to see that for UC. To be honest with you, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up a UC fan.
Speaker 3: I love both universities, but man, I was I was born in nineteen fifty four and UC wins back to back national championships in nineteen sixty one, in nineteen sixty two after Oscar Robertson left.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, the only other comment I just started listening, And I believe you're a big UK fan If I'm.
Speaker 3: Not, not me, not me, But gosh, what is going on with University of Kentucky.
Speaker 2: This is embarrassing. This is embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Oh, man, Mark Pope came in with guns blazing, and man, he might go out with a whimper. This is brutal. They're getting blown out. Yeah, they're getting blown out. But about Louisville Man, the Louisville UC rivalry, Oh my gosh, it was awesome to see it come back for one game.
Speaker 2: That's what I grew up with.
Speaker 3: The Missouri Valley Conference in Louisville wins today eighty seven to seventy eight at home over the Indiana Hoosiers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they do have a good team. But I'm just making a point. I'm a UC fan and a Xavier fan. Yeah, so I'm not other than that. I'd just like to see him both win.
Speaker 2: Amen. I want to see him good to get back to the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 9: You're exactly right, But.
Speaker 2: Right now Xavier is leading.
Speaker 3: I mean, Richard Patinos done a whale of a job, and like he said last night after the game, we're getting a lot better every game. He loves the team's attitude, he loves the way they practice, and he says we're growing and getting better. And of course they couldn't have won last night without the aquaman, Trey Carroll.
Speaker 9: Yeah exactly, all right, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: And before we go to break, Let's go up to the gym city and welcome in. Richard, Richard, what's happening.
Speaker 6: That's happening.
Speaker 10: You know what's happening. Everything another hour away till we become the net. I'm thinking we're going to become national championship with Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Buddy, Well, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot on the line tonight when Ohio State faces the Indiana Hoosiers number one versus number two. You've got the Big Ten championship on the line. You've got seeds, the top four seeds who get buys in the twelve team playoff, and then it's the Heisman Trophy race.
Speaker 2: Yes, with both quarterbacks in the mix, yep.
Speaker 10: And you know tomorrow, I'm like you, he owns, he owns Buffalo. I think the offense with Joe Burrow, maybe the chase they're gonna They're not gonna stop them tomorrow. I do predict the Bengals to win that game by three or four points. I do, I really do.
Speaker 3: I'll take it by one point, Dick and Hey appreciate it. The Bengals do get good news that mister Higgins t has cleared per push pro Gosh concussion protocol and we'll play tomorrow. That is great news. Wow, phone lines were wide open. We'll talk some Bengals coming up here? U see Xavier? Where does U see go from here? Devastating loss eleventh straight. I got a tweet today, Please extend Wes Wooden. I mean talk about a backslap across the face that that is nasty. You are listening to Sports Talk with your host Chick Ludwig and tonight's producer Sean McMahon, fellow elder grad till nine o'clock on the Home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WLW six in the Queen City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 2: Talk until nine o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: Wow, a great data be on the couch with the remote college basketball, college football man.
Speaker 2: It's championship Saturday.
Speaker 3: The Alabama Crimson Tide trails the Georgia Bulldogs in the SEC Championship game twenty one to nothing. And Texas Tech wins the Big twelve all over BYU today thirty four to seven. And we're eagerly awaiting the ACC Championship game Virginia against Duke eight o'clock on ABC, and of course, the Ohio State Buckeyes against Indiana Buckeyes number one Hoosiers number two for the Big Ten Championship, the fight for the Heisman Trophy, and the seating in the twelve team college football Playoff. Let's go out to the phones, Kevin and Columbus, our good friend waiting a while.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm hey, Yeah, I'm a nervous wreck and I'm trying to listen to you.
Speaker 7: But the game's coming on. You still be on the air.
Speaker 11: That must be tough on you keeping a half an eye on that and still doing your show.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got some big screen, we got some big screen TVs here, and I've got Georgia on one and yeah, well, oh it's it's awesome.
Speaker 11: I was impressed last week that the way that game started out. You know how many Michigan games we've been through were undefeated and then everything goes wrong, and it started out that way.
Speaker 7: I oh, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: Hey, they got it together.
Speaker 11: Hey they're gonna win tonight.
Speaker 2: I believe they will.
Speaker 11: I know much about Indiana, but I'll be watching. I'm trying to keep watching, listening to you till that, and but it's tough.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 11: One other thing, I just want to say, Well, the Kyle Schwarber thing, I think we need to get. You need to get somebody like you and Frank COONa, maybe Seg Dennison and jd Vance talked to him. It's got to be his boyhood dream. He must have dreamed of playing for the Reds as a kid.
Speaker 2: Right, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And I know a whole bunch I know a whole bunch of Kyle's friends in Middletown, and I know they're working on him.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Hey, Hey, like with Ken Griffy Junior who wanted to play.
Speaker 2: Here, yep, hey, I was.
Speaker 3: I was there that night in the Crosley room when Ken Griffy Junior was introduced and unforgettable, and it will be something similar if and when that happens with Kyle Schwarber.
Speaker 11: Yeah, somehow make it happen. Hey, That's all I got. Hey, enjoy your games and I hope they win so much.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm right there with you, Keviny Columbus, appreciate you. All right, Let's go up to the great state of Michigan. Our good friend Craig Hey, Greg what's going on?
Speaker 7: Hey, it's been a while, mister positive.
Speaker 3: I'm trying, brother, I gotta ask you, Oh my god, I gotta try.
Speaker 7: I gotta ask you. How do you think the NFC nerd is going to shape out? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: The Bengals launched the career of one Caleb Williams. Oh my gosh. Well, the Bears and the Packers only three losses. The Lions are eight and five two games back, a very positive sign that they destroyed the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they can win it.
Speaker 3: I want them to get into the playoffs and then anything can happen with the Lions getting back to what they do the best man run the football man. That's an awesome ground game. And then Jared Goff's got a step forward, and yeah, stop this ridiculousness and go out and punish people.
Speaker 7: There you go, there you go. Hey, if I don't speak kid before Christmas, have a beautiful Christmas, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We'll be back on these airwaves filling in for the immortal Lance McAllister on Tuesday Night. Can't wait, man, appreciate it, Doug Greg As always, We've got Pat in Blue Ash.
Speaker 2: Hey, Pat, how are you chick fantastic? What's going on?
Speaker 12: Why I was calling about the shootout?
Speaker 13: I was not at the game.
Speaker 12: I gave my tickets to my daughter and son in law. But I will tell you I saw Xavier because I'm a season ticket holder.
Speaker 7: A month ago. They looked like.
Speaker 12: The worst college basketball team I had ever seen. They couldn't play defense, they couldn't score. And I watched UC B Dayton, and while I didn't think, uh, that was particularly UC's best game, Dayton's a good team, and I thought, well, maybe they're on their way. But I'll tell you what you know. I call him less Miller because he seems to get less out of his team than he should. He is just like Ciderfield, and I've got degrees from both schools.
Speaker 6: They are nice guys.
Speaker 12: They recruit well.
Speaker 13: I don't think they hold.
Speaker 12: Their teams the high enough standards. Their teams don't get better as the year progresses, and they don't make in game decisions that change the outcome of the game.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Even the TNT announcers in studio, they were be fuddled by UC's half court offense in the first half.
Speaker 2: There what is going on?
Speaker 3: Passing the ball around the perimeter and then launching threes. I was always taught you go inside and then out, not the opposite way.
Speaker 12: Oh, that's exactly right.
Speaker 10: I mean Tray Carroll.
Speaker 12: I thought he played a phenomenal game.
Speaker 13: But let's face it, he's not that athletic.
Speaker 12: He can badly jump over a credit card and you see, is much bigger, much more athletic.
Speaker 13: And did they double team him more than once? It was embarrassing.
Speaker 2: It was it was very embarrassing. And oh.
Speaker 3: One of the quotes after the game from West Miller, oh we haven't worked on the double team enough in the post and I'm there, Oh, oh god.
Speaker 12: That's that's the same. That's the same excuse he gave when they when they lost to Eastern Michigan.
Speaker 13: He said, well, we had.
Speaker 12: Never played in practice with that combination of players, so we.
Speaker 6: Didn't know what to do. And when Day.
Speaker 12: Day Thomas and Gisel James you were on the team together. Uh, and they never played together? He said, well, we never practiced having them play together. I mean, you know, at some point you have to take a flyer. You have to trust your guys and know that they're going to figure it out, because they have to figure it out.
Speaker 2: It was Uh, it wasn't that close to five point game.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't now much more poised coming down the stretch and closing the deal.
Speaker 2: And you see just their offenses a panic.
Speaker 3: It just and I see five guys instead of a team. I see you sees five guys on the floor attempting to attempting to make a case for their pro careers like auditions. Uh, I just see five individuals instead of a team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, you're right, you know, you know, chick. When I used to coach basketball, and I coached for twenty seven seasons, just just the youth basketball, I used to tell them, do you want to if you were in a fight, do you want to slap somebody? Or do you want to punch somebody? Yeah, because if you're slapping, it's five fingers working independently. If it's a punch, it's all of you working together. And that's exactly what you see. Does they slap people instead of punching them?
Speaker 2: Amen to that? And uh, Mark or Pat really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Man, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, We've got Mark and Hamilton.
Speaker 14: Mark, Hi, Hi, Jake, Yes, sir, Yeah, the game tonight, the big ten Championship game. I you know, of course I'm rooting for a Hall of State and I'm want Ohio State to win. And uh, but it's number one against number two. If either team loses, I don't think either.
Speaker 15: One of them is going to get out of that top four bye week situation in which they are going for the national championship.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the way.
Speaker 3: When I saw the bracket and I've got and they had Ohio State with the bye and then possibly playing in the Rose Bowl, I'm there, oh man, I just I'm in a dream state.
Speaker 2: I'm in love if that could happen.
Speaker 15: But yeah, I'm I want Ohio State to win, but uh, you know, the bigger goal is the national champions.
Speaker 7: Yes, so that's all I got, chick.
Speaker 3: All right, and I appreciate it, Mark, And uh, I was just pleased at my alma mater, the Ohio State University beat Michigan.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh, but tonight man Fernando Mendoza, the quarterback of IU against Julian saying two quality quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: A how about Jack wants to talk across town shootout?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he said, Jack?
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, Jack, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Yeah? When you touched on a big a very important part of my point that I want to make when you said, uh, you know playing the game basketball is inside out. Yes, that's that's part of basic fundamental basketball.
Speaker 3: Yes, did we see that last night? Did we see that from U see last night?
Speaker 8: We haven't seen it in three years.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: And I don't have anything against mister Miller. I'm sure he's a good guy and everything. But the thing that really stands out with what happens with the UC Bearcap basketball team, they are not working on fundamentals. I mean, look at the foul shooting. Foul shooting is part of your fundamentals. Brutal, They don't they don't box out, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eleven of twenty two, Yeah, eleven of twenty two.
Speaker 8: It's just yeah, that's just part of fundamentals. You can't make a fact that's you stayed after practice until you can make seven or eight out of ten.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 8: But uh, that's what they're lacking. And it's a shame because they they're good athletes, and I know they want to win. You know, I'm anna, I'm a bear catalum, and uh, you know I'm used to like you said, you know, you know, good old fashioned Cincinnati Bears cap basketball and that's not what we're getting. But uh, that's you made part of my point. It's just basic fundamentals. But they're they're not getting that, they're not being taught, that they're not being they're not being practiced with their fundamentals.
Speaker 3: Totally agree, Jack, and Uh, hey appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, And before we go to the top of the hour break, I want to bring in our producer Sean McMahon, fellow elder grad with the Chickster Chicks, and he a uc alam and your take on last night.
Speaker 2: Sean, I know you're disappointed.
Speaker 16: Yeah, disappointed, unfortunately, not surprised. Yeah, because I mean with Xavier, they always show up. They always I got to give credit where credit is due to that program. It never matters who the head coach is. It doesn't matter who's on the floor for Xavier, it doesn't matter who's on the floor for U. See, Xavier always shows up in that game, and I got to give him a lot of credit. For months, chick I've kind of just assumed that they were probably going to drop this one for the simple fact that it was at the Centas Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been that way since two thousand and one.
Speaker 16: It's it's a it is a bitter piece of information to swallow if you're a UC fan that for twenty four years, Xavier has one, or I guess it would be twenty two years now, because twenty four years ago is the last time you see one. Yeah, eleven straight, eleven straight, and that's that's tough to swallow.
Speaker 3: And we talked off the air sean only one player on both teams has played in this rivalry.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's Dade Thomas.
Speaker 16: For those wondering, it's an incredible statistic. If you would have told me that ten years ago, I really don't know what I would have made with that information, because that just didn't seem it wasn't feasible at the time. Now it is because I think you brought up this point earlier, Chick. The way that teams are constructed nowadays, it feels like it's a lot it's just a bunch of mercenaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't like that.
Speaker 16: I'm used to with football teams, basketball teams. I'm used to kind of watching these guys grow and develop into an identity. And we saw that with Luke fickle with the football team, and we haven't seen that with UC basketball in a while. You know, the last team that I can remember that was like that, I guess was the twenty nineteen squad.
Speaker 2: That was when Jared Cumberland was still on the team.
Speaker 16: After that and you know, Wes Miller and John and John Brannan and all that stuff, the program has been kind of on life support. But the game last night, specifically, though, getting back to that, it was it was tough because.
Speaker 2: I kind of knew how it was gonna go.
Speaker 16: It's funny how it seems like every time it's at the Sintas Center, UC plays the same game. They heave up a bunch of threes they shouldn't be taken. They shouldn't be taking. They miss a lot of them. Their free throw shooting is atrocious historically, it just is.
Speaker 2: And there's one guy that murders them, and.
Speaker 16: There's one guy that kills him, and that was Trey Carroll, and he was one of the guys I was at. I was out at the bar last night drinking with some friends and I was telling him, Hey, there's like four guys for Xavier.
Speaker 2: You've got a limit.
Speaker 16: That's bor Vichenen, Malisseovich Anderson the third and Trey Carroll.
Speaker 2: Those are the four.
Speaker 16: Guys you gotta maybe not shut down because shutting down four dudes is a lot harder to harder then did it?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: Then you'd like to admit.
Speaker 16: But they let one of those guys go off and he was a huge difference in the game.
Speaker 3: And the two guys I can't pronounce their last names, they hit big threes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they hit some big shots.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, Melisavichen Borovichnen I think or their o their names. Yeah, yeah, that's that's the thing about Xavier. I will say this, you look at the box score. I think the biggest thing that I was saying, you see needed to do defensively to shut down Xavier was shut down Xavier's three point shooting. If you look at the box score, Xavier was six six of twenty eight from the three point line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you.
Speaker 16: See did a pretty good job of stopping the three point shot or at least making Xavier miss them. So they got lucky there. But you see themselves wasn't much better. They were eleven of thirty three from the three point line. But yeah, man, it's it's the free throw shooting that gets them every single time. And it's one of those things fundamentally that I don't understand how you're not practicing that day in day out. It's it's called the charity stripe for reason. You got to make those shots. Those are free points. You got to take them when you can get them, especially in a rivalry like that, and in a series that's been dominated by Xavier since the turn of the century and has been dominated since they opened Zinta Center.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh UC shoots thirty eight percent from the floor, twenty six of sixty nine, thirty three percent from three, and fifty percent at the line. Yeah, Xavier forty seven percent from the floor, and yeah, they were only twenty one percent six of twenty eight and only fifty seven percent from the foul line, so they were only thirteen of twenty three.
Speaker 2: But that all goes away when you win. Yeah, yeah, and with a thirty point performance by Trey Carroll.
Speaker 16: Right, And I got to get credit to Xavier. You know, they're in a new tenure with with Rick Patina or I'm sorry now Rick Patino, Richard Patino, And they came out and they played hard and they played well. Yeah, you can't not give that team credit for how they've how they played last night. Yeah, they've won four in a row, five out. They lost to Santa Clara and Iowa both by nineteen. We lose by one to Georgia, and then they've won four in a row. So he's right, they're getting better every game.
Speaker 2: Yep. And what can you say other than give him credit? Now, I'll make this real quick, but.
Speaker 16: I think you were bringing up Wes Miller and Aolance talks about Wes Miller all the time. He's losing faith even quicker with the fan base now, and he's got to get a lot done. He has to make the tournament this year. You can't come to this program year five and not make the tournament. And he's lost to three different head coaches at Xavier. It's just there's he doesn't have a lot going for him right now. So he's got to make up ground quickly.
Speaker 3: Hey, when we come back after the top of the hour news, we're going to welcome in. Jake Ballard retired tight end in the NFL. Played at Springboro High School, played at the Ohio State University. Caught a couple of touchdown passes and helped the New York Football Giants beat New England in Super Bowl forty six. He lives in Columbus. Now we'll get his take on the Indiana Ohio state matchup and talk.
Speaker 2: A little bit about his career when we return.
Speaker 3: It's the home of the best Bengals coverage and the home of the Reds. News Radio seven hundred wlw B seven eight in the Queen City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig, seven hundred w l W this is sports talk, And like Eric Carmon and the Raspberries, we're going all the way to nine o'clock and that's when Donnade takes over these airwaves.
Speaker 2: And I always enjoy catching up with famous.
Speaker 3: Athletes, local athletes, and we've got one right now. Let's go out to Columbus, where I went to school with fifty thousand of my closest friends, and welcome in retired tight end Jake Ballard.
Speaker 2: Jake, how are you tonight?
Speaker 7: I'm good. I'm doing good. Chick, how you doing? Man?
Speaker 3: Oh fantastic Springboro High School, home of the Panthers, the Ohio State University, home of the Buckeyes, and then a career in the National Football League that includes a Super Bowl ring. First things first, Jake, how sweet was it to finally beat the Michigan Wolverines.
Speaker 7: Well, it was pretty awesome watching them.
Speaker 5: The Bucks take care of business, completely dominate the game from beginning to end. And you know, as a guy who never lost to Michigan, these last four years have been tough, even living in Central Ohio. The Michigan fans that came out of the closets and he couldn't really say anything.
Speaker 7: But now this year, at the tides of turns.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, it's only a charm.
Speaker 3: But the gold Pants, Oh what I would give to get a gold Pants charm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, they're definitely pretty special. My you know, tradition is that the players, once you get them, usually moms hold on of those pretty tight. So my mom, actually, you know, I haven't played my freshman year. I hog to State with two thousand and six, and my mom.
Speaker 7: Just gave both of all four of mine to.
Speaker 5: My wife about a year or two ago, so she was hold on to him for a while.
Speaker 3: Oh man, awesome, that's fantastic, Josh never lost to Michigan. Incredible. How about tonight, Jake? Really, both teams number one and number two. It doesn't happen often, man, in a venue like Lucas Oil Stadium.
Speaker 2: Man, it doesn't get any bigger than this.
Speaker 3: But so much is on the line tonight with Ohio State and Indiana number one versus number two, the Big Ten Championship, the you know, the seedings in the twelve team college football playoff, and then the Heisman Trophy race with a Julian Sayan and Fernando Mendoza Man, two great quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot on the line tonight, two great teams. You know, arguably neither one is faced an opponent like the other. I might be a little biased, but you know, I think Indiana is a good team. I don't think they faced a defense like ours, number one defense in the country, not even letting guys get over average ten points a game. So at the end of the day, I guess I just don't know if Indiana can score more points than our offense versus our defense. And like you said, it's he's been. Whoever wins this game, it's probably gonna Heisman two. And as far as you know the playoff seeding goes, it really just depends on who you talk to.
Speaker 7: If if the game is closed.
Speaker 5: It sounds like both we'll still be in the running and get a first round by but we'll wait and see how.
Speaker 7: The how the game turns out well.
Speaker 3: And when I said this earlier on the show that you know, when I look at the the twelve team playoff and I see Ohio State with the possibly you know, a number one seed there and that the possibly get to buy and then possibly play in the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 2: I've been there twice.
Speaker 3: It's the most incredible venue in all of college football, one of the most iconic venues in all of sports. And that would be special to go back to Pasadena.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely. I mean my last game Ohio State was the Rose Bowl. We actually beat Oregon Ducks. And most recently Ohio State played in the Rose Ball last.
Speaker 7: Year and beat Oregon. And it would be it'd.
Speaker 5: Be pretty special to see him go back there and start this playoff run in.
Speaker 7: The Rose Bowl.
Speaker 3: God, can you relate to the fan how special that was to take the field at the Rose Bowl. You know, the shadows of the San Gabriel Mountains with the sky turning pink blue, purple green. I mean, just it is a spectacular setting.
Speaker 5: It really is very surreal, and like you said, the sun setting on the San Gabriel Mountains. You know, you got jets flying overhead for the pregame, and it's just in that weather, it is always perfect. The grass is like a golf course, and you just there's so much history there. So to be able to be there and be a part of that game, and a couple of days before that, you know, we do the Rose bul Prade and all those things, and it just was super special and I'm very blessed to be able to play in that game.
Speaker 3: And back at Ohio State, I've been told that coming out of the tunnel at Ohio State, you are so jack you feel like you could leap over ten foot brick wall.
Speaker 5: I mean waiting in the tunnel and then eventually when they tell you to run out and you're running down in front of one hundred and five six seven thousand people, You're not going to jump over the wall. You might run through it, but it is it is extremely special. One of the loudest environments I've ever played in. And I've played in the Mall. You know, I played in Seattle in the NFL. I've played in Washington Huskies in Michigan and Penn State and Texas and anything.
Speaker 7: You can think of.
Speaker 5: Ohio Stadium is a very tough place to play.
Speaker 3: And running through a brick wall with snot bubbles, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, Jacob your pro career, you're getting signed by the New York Football Giants. Is an undrafted college free agent following the twenty ten draft. What was that experience like? And you know, fighting through some injuries here that very first year and then finally getting on the field in twenty eleven making an impact and then eventually man getting a Super Bowl ring with a twenty one to seventeen victory over the New England Patriots at Lucas Oil Stadium after the twenty eleven season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it was a dogfight.
Speaker 5: I was undrafted, so you're coming in there fighting for a spot like a lot of guys in the NFL training camp.
Speaker 7: And I was.
Speaker 5: Fortunate enough to obviously play at Ohio State, where I played against the NFL guys all the time, So I guess the learning curve for me wasn't that great. But I went there and did enough to you know, impress the coaches, and I was up and down off the practice squad and NAKI roster. My rookie year I started tighting was Kevin Boss, who did really well in my second year. It was the NFL lockout and didn't even get to off season with the team. And I showed up a camp and Kevin Boss is about to come back, and I'll never forget this.
Speaker 7: Our Titan coach walked in.
Speaker 5: He said, well, Kevin was going to sign with us, but the Oakland Raiders just doubled their offer and he's signed with them. And he said, our starting Titans in this room. We're not getting anyone else. And as soon as I heard him say that, I never looked back.
Speaker 7: I said, I'm going to earn the starting spot and I took and run with it.
Speaker 3: Beautiful And gosh, you've got to remember the November sixth, twenty eleven game against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Well, yeah, a one yard touchdown catch, a twenty eight yard catch on third and ten in the final minute, and that was huge.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was a special game.
Speaker 5: We actually ended up playing with the Patriots after the Giants, but yeah, Tom always liked to bring up that game, but we ended there about twenty I think they were going for a twenty six or seven game home winning streak and we ended that and that really kind of lit us on fire for that Super Bowl run that year and the next year when I was on the Patriots. Tom Brady just incredible guy, but obviously incredible leader and competitor. This guy's played in thousands, you know, thousands of football games, and he still remembers little little things like that. I would just be walking by the hallway and he'd be like, Jake, if you think I forgot you catching that ball in third and long, are catching the winning touchdown, You're forgetting You're mistaken.
Speaker 7: Oh, or you bring up something about us beating beating.
Speaker 2: Him in the Super Bowl, that is incredible.
Speaker 3: And that game in Foxborough twenty one to seventeen in favor of the Giants and handing the Patriots the second straight loss for the first time since two thousand and nine, twenty one consecutive victories at home and man, you stopped him. And then the Super Bowl final score twenty one to seventeen in favor of the Giants.
Speaker 5: Yep, pretty pretty crazy how it all worked out. I mean, the Patriots are town the team, but we got high at the right moment and and took care of business.
Speaker 2: Yes, And do you still have your Super Bowl ring?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: It kills me when I hear that guys sell them or give them away or lose them. Man, that's got to be in an awfully safe place for you.
Speaker 7: A safe place, indeed pun intended. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't wear my sit in the safe of the house, and I'll bring it out on special occasions if I get dressed up or have any events that people want to see them. But I have the rest of my game ball the memorabilia kind of out in my basement hung up, so it's nice to see those every once in a while, too.
Speaker 3: Jutiful, We're talking with Jake Ballard, retired NFL tight end from Springboro High School the Ohio State University to New York Football Giants. In a bittersweet day in that in that Super Bowl, Jake, because uh, you win the game, but you got injured in that game and that, uh, man, that really hit an impact on your on your future.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it definitely did.
Speaker 5: I you know, I ended up blowing out my knee with seven minutes to go in the game, a c L meniscus and a microfracture, and it definitely turned the tides of my life. But I always like to say, you know, I would have met my wife or had my son if I would have.
Speaker 7: Never got hurt in that game.
Speaker 5: But anyway, yeah, and it hurt.
Speaker 7: My knee.
Speaker 5: Came back for a couple of years, but never really was the same and ended up retiring with the Cardinals early.
Speaker 7: And it could have it could have covered the worst time.
Speaker 5: It was actually my contract year that year, so we were going to sign an extension until I got hurt.
Speaker 7: And you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now.
Speaker 3: The Giants wound up placing you on injured reserve and then that off season, Wow, the New York or the New England Patriots claim you off waivers. And isn't it kind of a gentleman's agreement, you know, an injured guy, you know, and other team's not gonna pick him up. But did Patriots and Bill Belichick claim you off waivers and then you spent the entire season what on the pup list or I R.
Speaker 7: Yeah, on I are on IR with the Patriots. Yeah, it was interesting.
Speaker 5: Interesting that the general manager tells me that you know, we're gonna put you on IR, and I was already prepped by my agent of the situation what would happen? And I told him, point, Blake, you know I want to be here the Giants. I don't want to do this. What's what's the chance that some team just takes a flyer and steals me in the waiver wire and stores me away for next year? And I was told by our our GM that you know, that doesn't happen. Teams don't do that. Blah blah blah. Well, later that day I get a call from Kaflin tell me how much he he cares about me and loves me, and and and how I was a big part of the success. And basically said, you know, Jake, you're a smart kid. You know I don't get all the decisions. If I did, this would not even be I would not even be gambling this. And sure enough, the last day, last five minutes of the waiver while whire Belichick and the Patriots claimed me man no, and I had and I had no decision or say the matter. The next morning, I was on a plane to New England at six.
Speaker 3: Am, Yeah twenty twelve, the regular season on the pup list or IR, and then August thirtieth of twenty thirteen, You're informed of your.
Speaker 2: Release by the Patriots.
Speaker 3: And then how did it come that you landed in Arizona with Carson Palmer?
Speaker 7: Yep, Carson a great guy.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so I was with New England all off all twelve and I are just kind of rehabbing, you know, since my injury wasn't a standard just ACL, it took a little bit longer. Yeah, And I went through training camp, played played in all the preseason games and it was no secret.
Speaker 7: You know, I knew my knee was not I wasn't.
Speaker 5: Ready, you know, I wasn't up to snuff and ready to play, and the team knew that. And I'll never forget Belichick call. But like a coach wants to see us the last day of cuts, you know what's happening when you hear that and you go up there and Nick Catherio was, uh, he wasn't old Billichick. Belichick's the GM and coach, but Nick Casserio has the title. And Nick starts talking to me and give me some standard BS answer, And I'll never forget Bill said, Nick, I got this one. And Bill says, Jake, you've been You've done everything we've asked of you. We've enjoyed you being here and being a Patriot, but you're a smart kid. We just think you need a little more time rehabbing that knee and getting it right, and we think it's the best thing for both of us to part ways right now. But we'll keep in contact with your you and your agent, and if you get healthy, we'd love to bring it back. So like that, that meant a lot to me, you know, Belichick going out of his way, not just treating me like another guy. But yeah, then I ended up in Arizona with Carson Palmer, who was also another just a great guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and caught what a couple of touchdowns from Carson?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I did you have cause.
Speaker 5: I got signed in the middle of the season after rehaving my knee. Is actually funny. I was back in New England working out and I was about to sign with New England and they wanted to sign me because I was in a much better spot and they had some sign ends that were hurt and I obviously knew the offense and everything else. But New England wanted to sign me, and so the Cardinals. But the New England wanted to wait until after the bye week, and the Cardinals like, we need to sign you right now. So I ended up going out to New England, I mean going out to Arizona. Oh Man awesome.
Speaker 3: And then on August sixth, twenty fourteen, Jake Ballard announces his retirement.
Speaker 2: And how tough a decision.
Speaker 9: Was that.
Speaker 7: It was. It was a gut check.
Speaker 5: Uh, it was a very hard decision, you know, being a game that I played since third grade and dreams coming true when Super Bowl plays, playing in the NFL and going through injuries, I I just was not in love with the game like.
Speaker 7: I used to. You know, I was probably playing an eighty five.
Speaker 5: Percent of what I used to be able to do.
Speaker 7: And I was in pain every day.
Speaker 5: I hated going to practice. My mental mentally just exhausted because I just could not do what I used to do and quality life was.
Speaker 7: A big thing for me. And uh, after I.
Speaker 5: Think it might have only been seven days in a training camp is when I told my agent, I said, I'm done. I just can't push it anymore. You know, I don't have kids. I'd like to have kids and still be able bodied at that point.
Speaker 7: In time, and I was worried about getting hurt.
Speaker 5: Worse not being you know, not being not playing one hundred percent, worried about other injuries.
Speaker 7: So I'll never forget.
Speaker 5: I asked coach arians to have a conversation with them, and I told him put my heart on my sleeve and told him I was retiring. Broke down a little bit, and he looked at me and he said, Jake, we you know, we've loved.
Speaker 7: Having you here. And I hate to hear this, but he's like, you know, I have any problems in my heart.
Speaker 5: I feel like you're making the right decision for you and your and your family. So it was a special moment, Jake.
Speaker 3: And now you're a real estate agent in the Columbus area, possibly Upper Arlington, And how's that going for you?
Speaker 7: It's going really well.
Speaker 5: I've been doing over twelve years and I've been blessed to work with so many great people and friends and you know in the community that I want to change it for anything, And I you know, what do you hate you to say? You went with people and I couldn't agree, they couldn't agree more. And I really enjoyed it and feel.
Speaker 7: Like it's what I'm supposed to be doing right now.
Speaker 3: And last thing, Jake Ballard, you've been very kind with your time words of wisdom for young athletes, young football players coming up.
Speaker 2: What would you tell them?
Speaker 5: Man, I that's a deep question. I feel like I'll have a lot of thoughts. But you know, you you want to make sure you don't lose track of having fun and then losing. They're taking sports for granted. You need to put everything you can into it to make sure you don't look back and regret your choices because it's a game that can take you fear in life and not just on the you know, competitive field or court.
Speaker 7: You know it can give you.
Speaker 5: Mental toughness and training for all aspects of life. And it's it's it gives, it gives gives you what you.
Speaker 7: Put into it.
Speaker 3: Jake Ballard, Man, thank you so much for your time tonight. This has been awesome, great stuff. All the best of you and your family. Well, I appreciate it anytime then, all right, thanks so much, Jake Ballard and yeah, as always, go bucks.
Speaker 2: Thank you man.
Speaker 7: Thanks all right, take care you bet.
Speaker 3: That's Jake Ballard And when we come back, Linda Shanstead, Professor at Xavier University. All aspects of women in sports when we return. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk till nine o'clock tonight on seven hundred WLW well W well, I say it all the time on these airwaves. The greatest thing to happen in sports in my lifetime is Title nine opening the door for women in sports. And even though women have come a long way, there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. We welcome in my good friend, doctor Linda Shanstad, Professor, Xavier University Sport Management and Marketing Department.
Speaker 2: Linda, how the heck are you?
Speaker 17: I'm great? How are you?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? Thank you so much for joining us and Linda.
Speaker 3: On the surface, you know, it looks like, you know, women's sports man gaining and popularity with the US women's soccer team, the WNBA, the incredible nc DOUBA volleyball and basketball tournaments. But still, man, there's issues there with gender discrimination, sexism, unequal pay and funding, and even media coverage.
Speaker 2: Am I right about that?
Speaker 17: Well? I don't want to alienate fifty percent of your listeners, Chick, but yeah, there's still some issues there, for sure, there are. But let me just say I've been a fan of men's and women's sports for a very very long time, just as you have. And quite frankly, you know, the men have had a lot of time to figure out the marketing and sponsorship, promotion, advertising piece of this. You know, women haven't really been doing it that long and so you know, there's a lot of things to take away from how the men do things, you know, and how they've been successful. But there are you know, nuances I think in the women's game that's taken more time to catch up.
Speaker 3: Sure, and gosh, that would be probably marketing and media coverage, et cetera.
Speaker 17: Oh absolutely, I mean, women in the last two Olympics, actually probably the last three or four Olympics have only garnered about seven percent of all the media coverage, you know, so that you know, that says a lot and I get it. Sponsors want a sure thing. So the ones that are going to get the most money are the biggest uh you know uh sports that they're going to get a return on their investment for. And that makes perfect sense, you know, at the bottom line, you know, it's money. You know, money is going to drive access to sports, going to drive opportunities, and it's going to drive more equitable, you know, opportunities for women for sure.
Speaker 3: The Olympics are the The Winter Olympics in Italy are what sixty two days away? And I like to say that my favorite sport in the Winter Olympics is women's figure skating.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: And being a volleyball ref and fast pitch softball umpire. Man, I look back to my days at Ohio State from seventy two to seventy six, Woody Hayes parked his Cadillac on the softball diamond on the pitchers mound.
Speaker 2: They thought the world was ending. Far from it, Linda.
Speaker 17: Well, consider the source it was, Woody.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And I remember sitting in doctor Phyllis Bailey's office when the title nine came down, and man, to think back to those days and to where we're at now. You know a lot of great strides that I just hope continue.
Speaker 17: Well, I think they will. And you pointed out, you know a lot of the leagues now we've got a women's professional baseball league, Women's professional hockey is really taking some big steps, you know so, and I think the Olympics are only another place to showcase you know a lot of that growth, you know, the college game, you know, is going to have a little bit of ways to go, certainly with nil and uh, you know third party you know, contributors to you know, the various athletes you know, and and and that's where I think we see some of the biggest inequities right now.
Speaker 3: And uh, we see sports being added in high school. In high school wrestling and flag football is seems to be taken off.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and that's really really exciting. You know. Uh, women are clam and girls are clamoring for an opportunity to to compete. They want participation opportunities, and I think you know, if you look at the Ohio State Federation or the National Federation for High School in sports, you know, they're they're all looking for ways to get you know, both girls and boys, you know, continue becoming more involved and providing additional things that you know they want to play.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 17: It's these are all based on interest levels and then connecting them to pro sport, college sport, you know, the role models and coaching there. These are all great things I think for boys and girls across the board.
Speaker 3: Linda Shanstead is with us from Xavier University, and Linda, you know, I'm reading a lot of stuff about girls, you know, teenagers, you know, possibly leaving sports behind, and so retention has to be huge. There's opportunity out there, and I just hope the girls continue to take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Judging by USA Softball and Junior Olympic Volleyball, man, thousands of girls are playing.
Speaker 2: I just hope they can be retained.
Speaker 17: Well. Sports become very expensive. I mean I had two kids go through and it was thousands of dollars, especially if they enjoyed it so much and ended up on club teams. You know, there's a financial hit that goes along with sport. You know, there's there's pay to play in a lot of high schools, and so you know there's a way that we can help defray those things. But you know, currently right now, that's that's what our model is. And so if parents want their kid to be the next you know, Steph Curry, you know they're certainly going to have to you know, pay the piper in order for their kids to be able to play. At least they have some enough training and then you know you kind of just see where the chips fall. But yeah, it's become a very very expensive enterprise, I think, and that's one reason that maybe some you know, boys and girls and males and females aren't able to stay in the sport that they love for as long as they do.
Speaker 3: Totally agree with you. I talked to some softball parents. Oh my goodness, the equipment that it takes, and then the travel and gosh, the hotel rooms, the food, the transportation. It just uh man, you're you're up there in the five figures, maybe even six.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, and there's no question about that, you know, and a lot of us think, you know, my son thought he was going to be, you know, the next NBA player you know, out of Cincinnati, until he you know, stopped at five nine and a half five ten. And you can't teach size, you know, you can't. So you know, okay, well that's the worst plan b. So you know, and that that happens to you know, ninety nine point six percent of all the athletes. You know, there's just such a small percentage that are going to go on to actually be that NBA player or professional players. So it's I think it's an issue, and I think it's you know, it it directly addresses I think some of the inability for for kids to access sport.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great to have Zaber Universities doctor Linda Shanstead with a sport management and marketing department at Xavier. UH.
Speaker 2: You had to be loving last night at the Centa Center.
Speaker 17: I was there and I had, you know, somehow they let, you know, a couple of our competitors fans in and they I had a couple sitting in front of me and a couple behind, but we all got along just fine, and it was really exciting. And I think what Richard Patino's done just in the last you know, a handful of weeks from the beginning of the year, I think he's made some believers.
Speaker 7: Out of a lot of us, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yes, four straight wins, five out of the last six and used to do an eight.
Speaker 2: Fantastic job.
Speaker 3: Linda, can you explain to the gosh the listener what the what Ohio's Save Women's Sports Act is?
Speaker 17: Yeah? I know a little bit about it, but it's the idea that girls who that that the access to sport for girls who are have transitioned and have now now identify as as uh as male. Uh, that's been restricted or or banned and I understand it.
Speaker 7: I I do.
Speaker 17: I think there are some concerns, you know, with you know, the the level of strength and you know, skills and power that a lot of times are attributed to two boys. For me, it's it's a it's a science issue. I think we're not quite there yet to determine just what's most appropriate I think for for these individuals who who you know, aren't comfortable in the body that they were born in. So there's a lot to be be said about that. I mean, this is an issue that is uh, you know, as high up as as the Olympic Games, you know, it goes down into college. But it also is important to remember this is a very very very very small, very small number. Lest I looked, I think it was ten individuals in college period, and it's it's just a very very small number in the high schools as well. But I do understand the intention. I don't think it's it's you know, I just don't think we've settled that quite yet. But you know, it far from me to think I have the answers to this. It's been very very complicated with a lot of people trying to be what you know, to make the decisions that are most fair for any kid who wants to play sport.
Speaker 3: Linda one area that really kind of bothers me and I noticed this with Caitlin Clark coming out of the University of Iowa playing thirty plus games really her second last year and then her final season of college basketball. Then all of a sudden, there's the WNBA Draft, and then less than a month later, the forty four game season starts. Man, don't they get a break? I mean, is there anything that can be done with the WNBA season?
Speaker 17: Well, chick, it's only going to get worse if the WNBA commissioners and the powers that be get their way with this new collective bargaining agreement, because the last projected, the last idea that was put forward was, yeah, we'll raise the caps to almost five million dollars per team, with your best players getting a million dollars and your middle of the road players getting half a million, and then your rookies, you know, at about two hundred and fifty dollars, which is great, but the trade off is is they actually start earlier to the season almost you know. And then in addition, they want to take away the housing, which you know, imagine being you know, as fluid as this can be sometimes with trades and an agency going on. You know, in the middle of a season, you know, somebody's got an apartment that they're renting, and now they've got to figure out how to sublet it or break the lease or pay a penalty, and they're you know, so there's a lot of issues. So you know, it's very very frustrating that, yeah, you're looking at, you know, allowing the players to share a little bit more in the revenue, but you're now going to make them play even sooner after the draft. You're, right, creating more potential for injury. And then you're also taking away some of the perks that they fought very hard for in the last collective bargaining agreement in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Oh very interesting, Linda, Thank you so much for that to break down. Well, sure, we see that the NCAA Women's volleyball tournament has started. Can anybody beat undefeated Nebraska?
Speaker 17: Man, I wouldn't bet against I would not bet against them. They're just loaded. I mean, you know, we kind of joke about some of these very very you know, talented teams that their their second and third strings would would be starters on you know, other top ten teams. Uh, Nebraska's really got it going on and that started with Terry Pettitt way back in the you know, the seventies and eighties, and then continued with John Cook and it's certainly uh continuing with coach Busboom, who's you know, if anybody who's a Louisville fan would remember her from last year. So yeah, they haven't missed a beat. And they do a great job of marketing, so they're also able to attract the players in the first place. And I know they're nil monies or actually it's probably their their their third party monies that are probably helping that situation out quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I know it's a sport you know and love as the former volleyball coach at Wright State and the University of Iowa, and I know you're following it very closely. And congratulations to both Right State and Xavier, even though they got knocked out in the first round, still a great accomplishment for both.
Speaker 17: It's a it's a great accomplishment, you bet, you know, and you know, success just usually begets more success. And I know Christy Peppenberger at Xavier and Dave got a new volleyball coach up at writes stayed here in the last few years, but they've really got it going on too.
Speaker 3: You bet well, Linda, this is this has been fantastic and given us kind of the state of union of women's sports here and I sincerely appreciate your time.
Speaker 17: Well, it's always an honor to be able to just talk sports with you, chicks. So have a great holiday season and same to your your listeners.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Linda, thank you so much.
Speaker 17: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: I Chick, take care. That's Linda Shanstead, Xavier University, man professor in the Sport Management and Marketing Department. Uh, just a phenomen i'minal source for women in sports. And you're listening to Sports Talk with your host, Chick Ludwig and tonight's producer Sean McMahon on seven hundred WLWD the interview with Linda Shanstead, Savior University professor all things women sports. Also appreciate Jake Ballard, retired NFL tight end, joining us at the top of the seven o'clock hour. After the news at eight o'clock, we're going to bring in Greg Schumacher and we're going to talk some high school football. Anderson and Saint Xavier are defeated in the state championship games at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton over the weekend, and we're going to talk about really both games, both teams, and the OHSAA released the mister Football for Ohio. We're going to introduce him also and talk about the state football playoffs. And I hate to bash the OHSAA, but the presenters, the trophy presenters at the state football championships in Canton have made some embarrassing mistakes. Columbus Bishop Waterson wins the Division three title and the presenter said Division two. And then oll In Tangy Orange wins the D one state championship over Saint Zaber and the presenter forgot the year. He called them the twenty twenty four state champs. I'm there, Oh my gosh, just look at the trophy. It's twenty twenty five. And my good friend Tina Gears chimes in, some things never changed. They did the same thing with Elder back in the two thousand and two so I know it's tough giving the speeches at the end of the game to the runner ups and the champions. But man, get the division right and get the year right. So we've reached the top of the hour. News thanks so much for joining us tonight. This is Chick Ludwig alongside tonight's producer Sean McMahon. You're listening to the Home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: News eight o seven in the Queen City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Chick Lugwigs, seven hundred WLW. This is sports talk.
Speaker 3: Like Eric Carmon and the Raspberries my favorite song. We're going all the way to nine o'clock tonight, and it's awesome to have Sean McMahon in my corner tonight running the big board in the seven hundred WLW Control Center.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's talk some high school football.
Speaker 3: What a weekend in Canton at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium with our great friend, content director part owner of Tri Statefootball dot Com, the one and only Greg Shoemaker. Greg, thanks so much for carving out some time for us tonight. Brother, you're busting into the sixties in style.
Speaker 13: Yeah, how about that? I went up Thursday night. It was my thirtieth ninth high school state championship game I evercovered. Unfortunately, Anderson lost to Avon h Man.
Speaker 7: But good.
Speaker 13: I gotta tell you that Avon team, they are the class of Division two as good as Anderson has been. Avon's now won back to back state titles in Division two. You got give me their credit. They beat Anderson the last two years, given Anderson their only loss in the tournament. And then in order to get there to play Anderson, Avon had to beat Maslin in the state semi finals in back to back years. So I had thought. And they won eight regional titles in the last nine years. So I mean, Avon's really really good. And you know, it was a tough night for Anderson. They had ten possessions of that game, Chick, and five of them they turned the ball over on downs. Another one they threw an interception at that Avon picked off on the Anderson twelve. Easy score for brave On. But they went up twenty one to nothing in this game. And I went back and looked at Anderson's games. They hadn't been down fourteen to nothing in a game since two thousand October twenty twenty two, thirty thirty four to thirty five straight games without ever being down fourteen to nothing. Then all of a sudden, Avon's up twenty one to nothing in that game. But again Anderson's not done. They returned ten oh eleven starters on offense. Next year, They're gonna be fun. And quarterback Owen scaffs at the record for passing yards in the state championship game in Division two. He had almost three hundred and ninety or three hundred and sixty some ended up thirty one yards short of five thousand for the year and would have made him the eighth player in Ohio history with five thousand passing yards in the season. Now, Turner Lache up at Sidney Lanman threw for forty nine to ninety this year. So Owen scaffs total of forty six thirty nine or I'm sorry, forty nine thirty forty nine thirty six or whatever it is, we'll go down as the eleventh best single season passing yardage in Ohio history. So some good things out of that. Also, Tyson Weaver, the wide receiver at Anderson, had eleven receptions in that game that was tied for most in the Division two state championship game. He'll be back, he finished with ninety one catches this year for thirteen hundred and seventy five yards and twenty touchdown receptions. A transfer from Simon Kenton's, he'll be a senior next year. I think he's close to if not over two hundred career catches, he's close to it, and a fine, fine career going into his senior season, for sure.
Speaker 3: Definitely want to congratulate the Anderson Raptors on a phenomenal season. But man, I was watching that game and right away before the first snap, they had to call a time out, and I guess it was an equipment issue, that's what the announcers were saying. But regardless, and then to fall behind, you know, gosh, I snap over I believe they tried to punt. Yeah, you know, a snap over the head and you're right fourteen to nothing before you blinked, and then it was twenty one to nothing and it was just, man, you're digging a hole that was almost impossible to climb out of. But nevertheless, what an incredible season for the Raptors of Anderson.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean self inflicted wounds and they know it. You know, last year they lost to Avon in that it was a driving snow and a blustery win. The conditions were kretdy and I think everybody thought that, you know, hey, now Anderson gets that passing game gone, but it just didn't happen. I mean, this Avon team took out Jordan Davis, their running back for Anderson had was really nondescript in this game. And Jordan came in with over six hundred yards rushing, over seven hundred yards, receiving seventy receiving catches, twenty one rushing touchdowns, and they they limited him. And you know, I think it. Look, this Anderson team has got enough talent to get back to the finals again next year. All they're great players on the majority of them are coming back on defense as well, you know as the ten starters on offense. But look, this was self inflicted los. This is stuff that can be corrected. And if you want to go beat the best, I guarantee you Avon or Maslin is gonna be waiting for him again next year in the finals. But yeah, I mean, this team's this team's got the talent to get back there. You know what, They're thirty nine and two over the last two seasons, or twenty nine and two over the last seasons. Incredible fantastic football.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Greg Shoemaker of Tristate Football dot Com with us. And before we get to the Division one game all in Tangy Orange over Saint X twenty eight to fourteen, I want to touch on Columbus Bishop Waterson thirty to nothing over Toledo Central Catholic. Now they they have the longest winning streak, now that Marion Local seventy six game winning streak has been snapped by Saint Henry, and Saint Henry winds up winning a state title today. But how about this for Waterson. Okay, back to back state football championships. Boys soccer team won the state this year. The girls were second in the state. Girls cross country won state. So Bishop Watterson's had an unbelievable fall and the quarterback rose what four interceptions and they still win thirty to nothing.
Speaker 2: That defense was unbelievable.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a Drew Bellisari is the quarterback here at Watterson. He is a Miami of Ohio A commit. I'm not sure, but I think it might be that Steve Belsaris kid that went to Oia State. Look, this is this Waterson team's good in the state semi finals. They crossed Typical New and Typical New had a great team this year. Matt Burbacker did a great job with those guys and Man and Chick. That's an impressive Waterson squad. They took care of business. If you look at their last two years in this thirty game win streak, very impressive. And I know some people are out there, they're talking about them being one of the best teams, the best team in the state of Ohio this year. But you know, very very awesome year for Waterson, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 7: Man really good.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Now the Division one game twenty eight to fourteen olin Tangy Orange its first state championship fifteen to zero, knocking off the Saint Savior Bombers. Want to reiterate what a great season Saint X had to bounce back from you know, losses to what Mohler and Elder and to defeat Elder and then get to state what an accomplishment by the Bombers.
Speaker 7: It really was.
Speaker 13: When you look back to this team, they were sitting there, so it's back to back games, like you said, then they avenge those two losses to Elder and Mueller in the playoffs. Uh, did a great job. And you know the game against Elder at pay Corps this year in the regional championship fantastic.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 13: Then then they go on and knock off Middletown to get to the state championship game. And you know, Daniel Bulmer goes down to that Middletown game. He might have made a big difference in this old and tense Orange game.
Speaker 19: But again, much like Avon, you got to give your hat off in credit to old and Tansey Orange fifteen and oh this year Levi Davis their quarterback.
Speaker 13: He's a dual threat guy. Yeah, phenomenal and check he fits that program there. You know that quarterbacks they have now to Ohio you as a dual threat to this kid. As long as that coach stays down there at Ohio you, this kid could have a really fun run in the MAC. I mean, fantastic player, fantastic kid. Uh. They get all they deserves. Second straight team from Lewis Lewis.
Speaker 2: Wherever it is it was center, Yeah Lewis.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean there's four ol and Tangi teams out of Lewis Center, now right, I mean we think Lakona East and West is big ol in Tangi they split four times.
Speaker 7: So unbelievable.
Speaker 13: Great, great program and area for football up there, Lewis Center. I think that's uh with's that county up there, that's just north of Columbus.
Speaker 19: Delaware, Delaware County, right, Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, good football being played up there.
Speaker 3: So once again, Orange twenty eight, Saint Savior fourteen, Avon thirty seven, Anderson twenty Waterson in Division three shuts out Toledo Central Catholic thirty to nothing. Cleveland Glenville with coach Ted Ginn Oh my gosh, forty five to seven over Shelby for the Division four title. Wheelersburg and Liberty Center. Right now. Division five, it's being played right now? Is the is the final game? Six Kirtland once a Hornet, always a hornet, northeast of Cleveland up there in Lake County forty one to six over Bascombe Hopewell Loudon forty one to six. Kirtland wins, and then Saint Henry, which knocked off Wow Marion Local, stopping the Flyers seventy six game winning streak. In the semifinals in Saint Henry all over Jeromesville Hillsdale thirty seven to three.
Speaker 2: So what a state? What a state tournament?
Speaker 13: Yeah, chick, I was just looking at something on the Twitter before the last two games tonight. The average margin of victory in the five the first five state championship games was like twenty six point seven points or something. And since they went to this format at the OSSA and the tournament, the largest victory of margin and state championship games was just a little bit above that. And that's happened like in fifty years ago when it first started or whatever it was. But this is like the best teams are blowing out the second best teams by far in this tournament, but not so much blown them out, but I think they come out and they've all come out and made a statement all five winners so far of the tournament. So yeah, very impressive teams again, like I said, I mean Avon, Olan, Tangy Orange, just you know, as good as we are in southwest Ohio. Like it hats off to these guys because they've been fantastic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this weekend.
Speaker 3: Coach Mike Schneider, who coached Man at Miamisburg, at Wayne all over the place. He's been going up there for forty years and he said that is one of the most impressive teams he's ever seen in Division one and Olan Tangy Orange and can we throw some shade here, Great Shoemaker of Tri State football dot Com on this year's Mister Football. The dude's name is Grady Kinsey from Ganaden Hutton, Indian Valley. A five foot eight, two d and five pound running back and linebacker. How about this this year two thousand and five and eighty five yards rushing, forty touchdowns and oh my gosh, his uh.
Speaker 2: I mean, his resume is just off the charts.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so very much like Corey Kiner when when Roger Bacon won it. You know, a small school guy who won the Mister Football. This kid last year they took on Tapped in the state semi final game and he put on a show there. And I voted for Rider Hooks for Player of the Year Mister Ohio Mister Football. I had this kid second and Matt Ponatowski third in my voting for Ohio Mister Football this year. But yeah, I mean definitely earnd it. Very similar, like I said, very similar numbers to Corey Kiner rushing wise when he was at Roger Baker won this thing a few years back. Yeah, I mean that's all. I mean, just a great college or high school career, what you know. I think that's one of the great things about Ohio Mister Football. Sometimes you have like the best of the best players and then sometimes you have just this awesome high school football player. And that's what Kinsey was. Definitely, it was a great high school football player.
Speaker 3: Only the third Mister Football Award winner from Eastern or Southeastern Ohio, joining Zanesville's Buster Howe in nineteen eighty seven and of course Athens Joe Burrow in two thy fourteen. But Kinsey all right, first in Ohio High School Athletic Association history with one hundred and thirty three career touchdowns, second in total points at eight forty, third in career rushing yards eight thousand, six hundred and seven, and third in single season touchdowns with fifty man His three thy two hundred and seven eight rushing yards in twenty twenty four ranked ninth. So the dude is an absolute beast. For Wow, So I had to give that cat some shade, no doubt.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I hope he gets one of an offer from somewhere. You know, he could play he can survive in the MAC. You know, We've had a lot of guys like that that are very good high school running backs that get a preferred walk on offer, and sometimes they don't show up for two or three years. This is one of those kids. I mean, whether he ends up at like a West Virginia or OHIU or a kid's state or somewhere like that, somebody take a chance on this kid because he's a gamer man and he wins.
Speaker 7: He's kind of like those kids.
Speaker 3: Well, if you can't get that that nice offer, man, he could wind up at Dayton, he could wind up at a John Carroll or a Mount Union. Who knows. But I think the kids got a phenomenal future, no doubt I do. Yeah, but what a season, Greg, You can uh man, you can breathe now, hopefully not really.
Speaker 13: The All Ohio teams come out next week. Check. I got Kevin articles. Starting on Monday on Tri State Football dot Com. We will have the Division six and seven all All Ohio teams. Then the next day it's uh four and five, and then two and three, and then on Thursday, you're.
Speaker 2: Like major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, uh you never quit titioned it out a little bit at a time, and uh, with all bases covered, man, great stuff.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and then after that, I mean we'll be in the All Tri State team. You know, we get are the best players from you know, Southeast Indiana, southwest Ohio and includes Dayton and our Northern Kentucky teams. After this week or coming up, that'll that'll start being in being in the fold on Tri State Football dot com and that runs all the way up to our awards show on President's Day. I think it's w Monday, February sixteenth. This year at the Holy Grail, we will have our Player of the Years from Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio Dayton or a Cincinnatian Dayton, you know, offensive, defensive, and Teams of the year those are still up for grabs. There's been some great teams and we might not have any state champions this year in any of those those places, but boy, we have some great stories and some great teams to talk about. I mean, so Tri State football is not stopping anytime soon, all the way through February for sure. Then and we might take a little spring break for a little March madness about.
Speaker 2: What it's like.
Speaker 3: It's like, you see trying to Trey Carroll the Aquaman. You couldn't stop him, you couldn't even contain him. And that's what Trice State football is all about locally. So Greg, thank you so much for your time tonight. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 13: Awesome, Hey chiit have a happy holiday season. And God bless you and your family.
Speaker 3: Right back at you, and man, you're busting into your sixty.
Speaker 2: He's in style, I know.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 13: We'll catch it up with you, brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, have fun, be safe, you bet, man, Thank you so much. Great, awesome. Hey, uh, we're gonna come back with more. Uh, man, I haven't even touched on the Bengals. We'll update some scores and fired up here for the Buckeyes and whoa and uh just great to have you with us tonight on seven hundred WLW W.
Speaker 2: Awesome to have you.
Speaker 3: With me tonight, and fantastic to have Sean McMahon as tonight's producer keeping the Chickster off the Legend in the Fairway and we are wide open this last half hour. I've got my coffee, I've got my computer. All I need is you at five one, three, seven four nine seven thousand, one eight hundred the Big One. Indiana has taken a three to nothing lead over Ohio State after Julian saying through an interception hip ball red zone, but the Buckeyes held the Hoosiers out of the end zone and Indiana jumped on Ohio State with a Fueld goal for a three to zero lead here in the first quarter. Want to thank tonight's guests Jake Ballard, Linda Shanstead, and Greg Schumacher making this show. Dare I say, I'd like to think above average? Well, it's the Bengals and the Bills tomorrow in Buffalo actually Orchard Park, and been up there a few times during my days as the Bengals beat Rider. And when you turn the corner and start heading up to the stadium, it's an unbelievable site because on both sides of the street people are tailgating, drinking their Labat Blue beer. It is truly an awesome sight. The Buffalo Bills fans known as the Bills Mafia.
Speaker 2: Now. I really enjoy reading Jay Morrison.
Speaker 3: Of Bengals on SI and he came out with a story this week courtesy some stats from sport Radar database about how efficient the Bengals are winning games in cold weather, and since two thousand, when it is thirty degrees or colder, the Bengals have a sixteen and eight record. That's a six sixty seven winning percentage, and that's second only to New England's thirty three to ten record, which is a seven sixty seven winning percentage. So thirty degrees or colder since two thousand, Bengals are sixteen to eight.
Speaker 2: And then as the road team playing on the road in thirty.
Speaker 3: Degrees or less with at least four road games, the Bengals are seven and four and that is the best road record thirty degrees or colder. That's six thirty six winning percentage, and the Bengals are five and one in their last six games on the road playing in thirty degrees or colder, So that bodes well for the Bengals tomorrow against the Buffalo Bills, and of course the Bills with quarterback Josh Allen just an incredible stat. Allen has six career rushing touchdowns, making him the NFL's career leader for quarterbacks, a record he's set this month, surpassing Cam Newton. His seventy six rushing tds rank him among the top twenty five all time players, including Hall of Fame running backs, highlighting his exceptional dual thread ability as a quarterback, Josh Allen, Bengals don't necessarily have to stop him, They've just got to contain him. And Man James Cook just a phenomenal running back for the Buffalo Bills. And I've asked myself numerous times, how is this defense of the Bengals gotten better? And they have improved the last few games, and it comes down to one person, quarterback Joe Burrow. When Burrow is on the field, he raises everyone's level, not just on offense but on defense. And the hustle plays that we saw last week on Thanksgiving Night against the Baltimore Ravens fantastic. The Bengals are four and eight. Both Baltimore and Pittsburgh are six and six. Pittsburgh plays at Baltimore on Sunday. One of those teams will go to seven and six, and even if the Bengals win and get to five and eight, they'll still be two games back. If the Bengals lose, they'll be three games back with four to play. So every game it feels like it's playoffs right now going into Buffalo. So Man strap it on for tomorrow at one o'clock in Buffalo for your Cincinnati Bengals and the best place to want to celebrate a Bengals victory. It will be at Wings and Rings the King's Mills location fifty five seventeen King Center Drive in Mason. I will be broadcasting co hosting with Bengals legend David Fulcher from five point thirty to eight thirty once again tomorrow at Wings and Rings the King's Mills location, King Center Drive in Mason following the Bengals Bills game.
Speaker 2: And if you can't.
Speaker 3: Join us in person, we hope you'll listen on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifth teen thirty those call in numbers five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand or one eight hundred the Big One. And you can check out my Facebook page. Man Wings and Rings did a really nice job of gosh a promotional ad that I grabbed and put on my Facebook page and Wings and Rings Sports Talk Live with Chick Ludwig and a former Cincinnati Bengals football player that is David Fulcher. And happy birthday to David's wife, Judy, just celebrating a birthday, and happy birthday, Judy Fulture fantastic. So Bengals play well in cold weather, as we saw during their Super Bowl run in the snow at up in Buffalo, and we could see some more snow tomorrow. Now, if you're looking for a Christmas gift, I've got something for you here, and I want to read this email that I got from Doug King, the event coordinator of the Dave Parker thirty nine Foundation. Friends, as we celebrate this holiday season, we would ask that you please share this email and link with your friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, etc. We have a number of highly desirable, collectible and in some cases very rare items we are offering for sale. Well, you may not know a collector, maybe your officemate does, or perhaps your neighbor down the street. If you share this email and ask your contacts to share it, also a huge network of people will see the item. Perhaps there is a buyer out there through your efforts. Wouldn't that feel great?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 3: It will to know you directly help the foundation and through us the University of Cincinnati Gardner Neurosurgeon, neurosurance. Gosh, can I say that one more time? The University of Cincinnati's Gardener Neuroscience Institute and so what you want to do? Check it out on my Facebook page. Go to Dave Parker thirty nine foundation dot com and check out all the incredible prizes. Hey, we're gonna take one final break here, come back update some scores. Happy to take your calls at five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the Big One. It's Chick Ludwig Sports Talk seven hundred WLW, eight minutes before the top of the hour, Chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW. This is sports Talk. We're going till nine o'clock tonight and that's when Donna he takes over these airwaves. Well, want to update you on some scores. Indiana has a three to dozing lead over Ohio State, but the Buckeyes just intercepted Fernando Mendoza and they're in pretty good shape.
Speaker 2: Here in the plus territory.
Speaker 3: At Lucas Oil Stadium in the Big Ten Championship Game, Duke has taken a seven to nothing lead over Virginia in the final seconds of the first half. Seven to nothing in favor of the Duke Blue Devils. The Georgia Bulldogs all over Alabama today twenty eight to seven in the SEC title game. And if you watch the Big twelfth Championship while Texas Tech thirty four to seven over BYU, and when you think about the UC Bearcats, that's how good you have to be. I mean, BYU destroyed UC and then BYU gets destroyed by Texas Tech today thirty four to seven in the Big twelve championship game. That's how good you have to be to win that conference championship. And last night tu Lane over North Texas thirty four to twenty one, in James Madison over Troy thirty one to fourteen. Could we see Twulane and or James Madison in the college football playoff? We'll find out tomorrow at noon on ESPN when the final bracket of twelve teams is revealed. And you can't help but think, folks, no matter how much the college football playoffs expand, and I really can't see them expanding beyond twelve, there's going to be somebody disappointed, upset, angry that they didn't make it. In the big question tomorrow, will Miami Hurricanes and or Notre Dame make the twelve team playoff? Miami beat Notre Dame, but Notre Dame is ahead of Miami in the rankings. In the standings, so if Duke wins tonight, that's just going to throw everything out the window. It's going to be crazy. If Duke upsets seventeenth rank Virginia. I want to throw some shade here at the Miami RedHawks. And even though Miami lost today to Western Michigan in the MAC Conference championship game at Ford Field, a Detroit, twenty three to thirteen, the mere fact that Miami reached the championship game, gosh, borders on a miracle. They've lost their first three games of the season, with two games remaining in the regular season against Buffalo and ball State. Their quarterback, to Kwan Finn, leaves the program. A seventh year player who played at Toledo and then at Baylor and then was Miami's quarterback this year, ups and leaves the program to get ready for the NFL Draft, But Chuck Martin, head coach of the RedHawks, undaunted. He turns to freshman quarterback Thomas scott Kowski from Ben Davis High School, a freshman from Indianapolis, and Thomas scott Kowski leads the RedHawks to a pair of victories into the MAC title game and then Thomas scott Kowski got injured today in Henry Hessen needed to come on and finish up. But what plagued Miami today. Wow, Western Michigan's rushing attack fifty six carries two hundred and eighty six yards on the ground, one to eleven through the air for Western Michigan and brock Lowry.
Speaker 2: Miami ooh.
Speaker 3: On the ground thirty one carries for only seventy three yards, a two point four yard average on the ground. Hessen and Gotkowski combined for one hundred and ninety nine yards passing, but it was just too much Western Michigan. Western Michigan led sixteen to six at halftime, scored seven in the third quarter. Miami scored seven in the fourth, but Western Michigan improves to nine and four with the victory today of the MAC Championship. The RedHawks fall to seven and six. Miami will find out, along with the UC Bearcats, what their date is for a bowl game. So my question keeps coming up, what is who is UC's rival. Wish it was pitt Wish it was Louisville, but they're in the ACC. Maybe it's West Virginia. Maybe they can work out a final game as a rivalry game during rivalry weekend late in the season, we'll find out a lot of great discussion. Congratulations to Xavier Musketeers, seventy nine to seventy four winners in the Skyline Chile Crosstown Shootout.
Speaker 2: Not showdown.
Speaker 3: If the Bearcats can't beat Eastern Michigan at home, I don't care who was injured in that game. Boba Miller was out. You've got to win that game. How can you expect UC to go into Sintas Center and win that game?
Speaker 2: You see was the.
Speaker 3: UC has tremendous athletes, but they struggled to shoot the ball.
Speaker 2: And there there's.
Speaker 3: Specialty is supposed to be defense, but they could not stop. They absolutely couldn't stop Xavior. Congratulations to the Savior Musketeers. Also, Anderson and Saint x He had a phenomenal high school football seasons, but they came up short in these state championship games Sanex losing to Olin Tangy Orange last night and earlier this weekend, Avon all over the Anderson Raptors. Nevertheless, great seasons and I look forward to reading more about all the great high school players around the tri State area on Tri statefootball dot Com. Special thanks to our guest tonight, Jake Ballard, Linda Shanstead, and Greg Schumacher, and a special thanks to tonight's producer Sean McMahon. Keeping the Chickster off, the legend in the Fairway Man, keep that remote going strong, and who Day tomorrow against the Buffalo Bills Until next time, which will be Tuesday night as I fill in for Lance McAllister. Until then, it's the Chickster saying thanks for listening to the home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW News Traffic