Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, alright, so dot com tom in twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Right, So, because we have so much sports in the rearview mirror and we have sports ahead of.
Speaker 1: Us, should we go through the Oscar noms?
Speaker 2: Because I want Max's opinions for sure, Chris, you've seen a handful of these movies as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tommy wants to part helps on the way. Max knows what he's talking about. Let's go through this. Thank you. I haven't seen him yet. Let's go. Let's start with message this morning.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Okay? God, here's the nominees for Best Picture for the Oscars. Begonia.
Speaker 4: Great, yeah, great movie, Your Ghosts the guy that made Poor Things? Yeah, he's him, and Emma Stone is like his muse. And Jesse plemon Is may be one of the most underacted, maybe the most underrated actor in Hollywood right now.
Speaker 1: It's a It's a great movie.
Speaker 4: Very strange, but actually for him more more more palpable than than some of his other movies, because he's a weird.
Speaker 1: Dude f one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm surprised by I'm surprised it's in the Best Picture, but it was. It was a good movie. It was a good popcorn movie, but I am. I am kind of surprised that it's in that it's in the Best Picture.
Speaker 1: But I enjoyed it. I thought it was great so much. Frankenstein, I haven't I have not slow. That movie is super slow? Is that the one on Netflix? Yeah? Yeah, okay, cool. Yeah, I've heard good things.
Speaker 4: But yeah, ascar Isaac was I mean he was great as as a doctor Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Jacob Elordi. People also play Frankenstein.
Speaker 4: Yeah that thinks that Jacob ELORDI just went in there, just ron, no makeup or nothing, and just was Frankenstein. But I thought it was great. I haven't finished. Hamnett might win Best Picture if I if I was a voter, I might have to vote for Hamnet to win Best Picture because it.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 4: It is very sad, but at the end you'll you'll feel inspired.
Speaker 1: I literally after the movie. I've cried a lot of movies.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever started crying explaining why I was crying after I had already seen the movie.
Speaker 4: That's how That's how moved I was. And the last scene is just breathtaking.
Speaker 1: I love to cry. Same Marty Supreme cry.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, that's that's if Marty Supreme is up there as well, I would say Marty Supreme ham Net one battle after another, I would assume it is in the next, one after another. Those are those are going to be the top three that are contending for that Best Picture. But Marty Supreme, Timothy Shalome has every reason to have been as brash about that movie as he was.
Speaker 1: The other four are the Secret Agent.
Speaker 4: That's like one of the few I haven't I haven't seen that one. That's I forget the guy's name, but he's a really good actor. He's just fairly and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It wasn't. Thank you sas you're a cinephile.
Speaker 4: Sentimental Value, yes, okay, Sentimental Value is not a movie that's for everyone.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of these movies this year.
Speaker 2: I feel like the theme, the underlying theme in most of these movies is family intro family drama and then just kind of like the experience the tragedies and trials and tribulations and happiness sometimes of being a parent.
Speaker 1: And this is guy.
Speaker 4: It's like about this guy who's like a director and he's trying to kind of reconnect with his with his kids and whatnot, and it's it's probably the best soundtrack of any movie this year, but it is, it is phenomenal. One of the scars Guard Dad Fenn scars Guard is kind of he's the main character in that one.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because Best Original Score, Scott's Staff, Sentimental value Yeah, well great, No, I'm kidding. Sinners, Yeah, Sinner, I mean Sinners is.
Speaker 4: It's just a phenomenal movie. One of the most original concepts that we saw this year. Absolutely, and Ryan Coogler, if he doesn't win Best Picture should probably win Best Director because and and I mean, like how often from Marty Supreme and for Sinners, it was really cool to just see people flock to the theater to see an original movie, not a reboot, not a remake, not a sequel, brand new, original movie. And every single time Ryan Coogler's ever made a movie, it's become a cultural phenomenon. Because he also directed Black Panther as well, So every single time he makes a movie, it's it's a thing. It's like it's a defining thing of that year. Like you, I would say, there's better movies, but Sinners was the defining movie of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I've never seen them like it. Yeah, and that musical scene.
Speaker 4: Speaking of music, that if if there was a nomination for Scene of the Year, that would hands down win one hundred percent. Then the last film, Train Dreams, that was a straight to Netflix kind of bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know whatbut it it's it's like a it's one of those.
Speaker 4: I think it's about this guy who's like a logger or something like that. He lives in the forest and it kind of goes through his life.
Speaker 1: It's got I can't think of the guy's name, but he's been in a million movies.
Speaker 4: That's that's I think that's the only one that you've named so far that it happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh so Best Actor.
Speaker 2: The five nominees are Chalamete Form Marty Supreme, Leonardo DiCaprio for One Battle After Another, Ethan Hawk for Blue Moon, Michael B. Jordan for Sinners, Yeah, and something called Wagner Mora for The Secret Agents.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You guys would know. You guys would know him if you saw him. This guy. You've seen this guy before. That's oh, yeah, that guy.
Speaker 2: Every time he's in a movie, he's he's really good. You just don't he's just not in a lot of movies, all right, Best Actress. The five nominees are Jesse Buckley for Hamnett.
Speaker 1: She should win.
Speaker 2: Rose Byrne for If I Had Legs, I'd Kick You, The John Cristel story.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's so disconcerting. I'll never watch it again. It is it is called If I Had Legs, I'd Kick You. It's got your guy Conennan, and he plays the therapist. Right, it's not funny. There's there's no comedy in that movie. It is the most anxiety inducing movie of the year. Again, another movie about kind of the anxieties of parenting. But yeah, Rose Byrne normally we only see her, you know, we've seen her in a bunch of comedies and stuff.
Speaker 1: So she's a leading lady. She's amazing.
Speaker 5: So you have a logical comedy thriller.
Speaker 1: It's not a comedy asap rockies in it. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why not? Exactly.
Speaker 4: He's in a couple of movies this year.
Speaker 1: He was in the Spike Lee joint as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say her name, but the main gal from Sentimental Value, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how to pronounce it.
Speaker 2: She's she was nominal in that movie, She's going to be a force to be ready Emma Stone and makes sense. And then last but not least, Chris Kate Hudson in Song Sung Blue.
Speaker 1: She's great.
Speaker 6: That's a hell of a sad movie. Man, I didn't expect. I had no idea what I was going in to see. I had no idea what I was in for. Holy moly, that's a that's a crazy If it weren't a true story, I'd be like, that's the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: She's great, quickly.
Speaker 2: Best Actor in a Supporting Role your five nominees Benisio.
Speaker 1: For One Battle after the Best that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see more of sense I desperately wanted to see.
Speaker 1: More of since what I like it. Yes, it's awesome, Okay, we should go see it sometime.
Speaker 2: Another person in that movie up for Best Supporting Actor, Sean Penn One Battle after Another.
Speaker 4: That's a heavyweight battle between just those two, because that job is an evil bastard.
Speaker 1: Of that movie.
Speaker 2: Jacob Elordi for Frankenstein. Zach would say he's not acting for abbit. Delroy Lindo for Sinners Hell. Yeah, that makes.
Speaker 4: Me really happy to hear that because he wasn't getting a lot of love on some of the other circuits, like the smaller circuits.
Speaker 1: But he absolutely he is a scene stealer in.
Speaker 2: That and then the Golden Globe winner stelling Scars Guard for sentimental value, So we'll see if he can run it back and win the Oscar as well. I saw that something like he was the first He's the first like actor in a foreign movie that will be nominated for that award, which seems kind of preposterous. All right, I'm gonna butcher a couple of these names, so I actually I might not even try him, but this one I can do el Fanning sentimental value, this is best supporting Actress.
Speaker 1: Then we can wrap this up and she's fine.
Speaker 2: Amy Madigan in Weapons, Wow, is that the Is that the the older the lady?
Speaker 1: That makes sense? That makes sense? Yeah? She yeah, that makes sense? Inga something from sentimental value.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, it's just yeah. Uh, We're gonna go with one mes Massaku from Sinners.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was saying, she I think it's one won me woon me Massaku from Sinners. Yeah she was. She was phenomenal in that movie. She was one of the the love interests, I don't remember. There was smoke and there was stacked, but she was. She was one of the love interest And then the last one is Tiana Taylor from one battle after another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she won the she won the Golden Globes.
Speaker 4: She did, and she was I mean yeah again, talk about to See and Steeler in that movie Perfidia Beverly Hills. I still like I remember her name that that. That's how much the character had an impact on that movie.
Speaker 3: All the respect.
Speaker 5: Tiana Taylor sounds like somebody that they would show on uh the college football playoffs and then all the guys would know.
Speaker 4: Who she is, but nobody else would. There is uh, yeah, there is Tiana Trump. You know, Saucy knows who I'm talking about. Saucy knows about Tianna Trump. No relation to the president, Sauce, I know who that is.
Speaker 1: How do you know? Just because I've told them about it so many times?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: So I just wanted second hand firsthand.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm sure you guys have talked about this. You don't have to like raise your hand, But did you guys all know who that guy was when they showed her on ESPN?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right away. No idea, I had no idea who she was.
Speaker 2: She's Yeah, she's Miles Rushmore, right, Saucy, Yeah, just from what you've heard, Just from what you heard like through Max?
Speaker 7: Yeah, through Max? Are we talking only fans? Are like just in straight pumoring.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's see what Sauce has learned through Max. Sauce answer that question.
Speaker 1: The latter. Oh really yeah, well it wasn't all straight. Yes, yeah, I knew who she was. Yeah. Max talks about her a lot. Holy Max, please stop.
Speaker 3: Do you like?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, I'm not seventy five and liking every thing I see or commenting on everything I see on the internet. Once again, people, and I say this age because I'm not going to rip on my pale older people sixty year older, mostly men, should not be on the internet. Everybody can see what you're doing.
Speaker 6: May I say that? May I just say this? Go ahead, he's not talking about me.
Speaker 1: No talking. I don't need to be texted every day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I saw it too, don't comment on it, AB, don't write A or B.
Speaker 1: Don't say what are your favorite parts about me? Don't say both.
Speaker 8: You can see that it can be seen on the internet.
Speaker 9: Now it did not happen, especially like we've talked about scy when your your Instagram name is your first and last names.
Speaker 1: Don't again, don't wow.
Speaker 8: About four or five months ago, a good pal of mine sent me a obvious bot, obviously fishing for information. It was followed by two people I'm related to. It's obviously a fake person. Two people I'm related to follow this person. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Who are those two people?
Speaker 8: You're not gonna say, but you can figure it out. They're over they're over sixty years old. Get off your dad. No, well, your dad and your uncle Peter.
Speaker 3: Yes, get off the internet.
Speaker 1: Your uncle Peter's over sixty. Yeah he's sixty. Yeah wow, Yeah, dad knew that was coming. Yeah. You need you and saw you and Hock need to get your dad's off of We need to do anything.
Speaker 8: I speak for a few of us that work here, and somebody real famous from the city, real famous follows every.
Speaker 1: Single woman that's ever been on the Internet. Stop doing that. You think it's not a filming' I mean it is. I'm not talking about her, that's exactly what you're talking about. We're talking about somebody else. Sometimes they're just fishing, they're casting a pretty Why.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're following everybody, and they really think that fish is gonna bite.
Speaker 5: No, no, well they think that's going to but I just never it's a Lloyd Christmas one in a million.
Speaker 1: But what if she's not Ai? Well she looks like she's AI. But what if she's not.
Speaker 2: What if she's willing to fly all the way from Slovakia to Saint Louis Park.
Speaker 1: She looks like she's d F Yeah she's Yeah, she's obviously fake.
Speaker 2: All right, Well ask Tom Pella Sara when we come back, who he follows on the internet and what kind of porn stars he likes from time to time.
Speaker 1: That's this, uh power Trip Morning Joe, after this by Maxo. There he goes, I love you, There he goes? Or two more started at eight twenty three years final segment.
Speaker 6: We've been leaver as well well, I guess, final segment of the show period. But he's a short timer, you know, M I miss you when you're not here.
Speaker 1: I miss you too. I did miss you. I really did miss you. Guys. Yeah, dude, thank you. I loved to listen to you though. That was so cool. I did. I hated not being able to talk to you online though. I know, yeah, yeah, I missed that too.
Speaker 6: Because it's like, you tell me so much. I was talking to somebody about this the other day. Having you and and Bursuch in my ears so often is like a dream come true because you guys are telling me things about football I would never ever know, Like the average fan doesn't get to hear two former professional NFL linebackers talking about what's happening on defense. It's the coolest thing ever, man, as a football fan, It's super cool. Yeah, thanks, Yeah, yeah, for sure. It'd be the same if Tom Pelser was my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what I mean. He's not your friend. Well I.
Speaker 6: Think he's my friend, but I'm not sure he'd call me friend. But if he if, he'd call me during the game and be like, hawk, did you see that? But he's never done that.
Speaker 3: Don't you normally have the lights off? Tom?
Speaker 1: I worked on my tan.
Speaker 3: Let's let's turn him down.
Speaker 1: Man out to the show.
Speaker 3: There, there we go Tom today.
Speaker 1: And see if this helps much better? Better?
Speaker 3: Way?
Speaker 1: Yes, much light?
Speaker 6: Who's the floating head on the pe Wee Herman show? The Magic Guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I feel like, because you're wearing all black. Say all you can see is your head? Uh, you guys? Are you guys are crushing Corey's brain right now? His brain. You can't think of it. You can't think of it. He hates this Tom.
Speaker 6: If he can't remember a name, he loses it and we aren't allowed to move on until he figures it out.
Speaker 2: No, you guys, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, I don't think I would have had it if you hadn't given me the first letter. Though.
Speaker 6: Man anyway, Bell Bank brings you Tom Pelisera, the meanest man in America.
Speaker 1: And here we are, here we are.
Speaker 6: Can you explain to me what in the sweet hell happened in Buffalo yesterday and what the reaction must be like for Buffalo fans right now?
Speaker 3: Terry Pegoula, the owner of the Bills, does not speak publicly very often. When he does, he does not hold back. I mean, I've known Terry a little bit since he first bought the Bills, you know, going through a variety of different coaching changes, finally landed on the right one nine years ago with Sean McDermott. But when he gets up there and just starts saying, yeah, this is why it was the Broncos game. I walked around the locker room. I saw Josh Allen balling in his locker more or less, was like he got the vibe that was it, that it was over, and two days later the fires. McDermott. Now, there were other unique parts of that press conference, like Brandon Bean being pressed on not getting the wide receiver position right, which we can, you know, argue whether that's the case or whether there were other things. And Bagoula jumps in and says, actually it was the coaches who wanted key on Coleman not being which puts Brandon in kind of a you know, a weird spot here. But you know, listen, if you take that press conference in its totality, and it was wild, which is exactly what I would expect, knowing Terry, you know, the real message here was, you know, he decided essentially that as much as Sean may have been frustrated with the roster, he didn't want to have an environment where, you know, there was a coach frankly pushing back against you know, the way that someone who was equal to him on the you know, on the organizational chart was handling his side of the business. And so not only does he fire Sean McDermott, he promotes Brandon Bean. Bean will now be over the new coach. He's going to run the search. The new coach will report to him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: In the end, Terry decided that you know, the blame for as he referenced yesterday, you know the thirteen seconds that was the when they took the lead on the Chiefs and somehow Mahomes took them down and they still won that game. You know, miss field goals late. You know, all these situations where you know, the common thread was not being able to get a stop when you need to stop. Obviously, in the Denver game, there's why are you running another play at the end of the first half and Josh Allen starts running in fumbles and you give him a field goal, and then at the end of the game you're you know, you're you're in a position where you're losing that game instead of being tied. It's just it's all these different things. You know, it would have been really probably more efficient to just go it was time. Nine years is a long time. We couldn't get over the hump. He added a few more details than that. Anybody who knows Terry isn't surprised by that, and now they've got you know, probably I would say the best job out there, because you're working with the best player on the planet Tom.
Speaker 2: This morning they released the MVP finalists for the NFL Drake May, Matt Stafford, Trevor Lawrence, Josh Allen, and Christian McCaffrey. A dumb question. Maybe we've talked to you about this in the past. Do you have an MVP vote? Are you one of them?
Speaker 3: I do not because the AP for a long time had a standing rule that anyone who works at the NFL network cannot have a vote. So I did have one when I was at USA today. It was taken away from me in twenty seventeen. Then last year, when there were some questions being raised about who was on the panel, I decided to get on social media and post something questioning that there were, you know, people associated with sportsbooks, people that own parts of teams, no one from any NFL, no one from NFL network. That became a viral post that then cost the EIGHTP to reevaluated system. They gave several of my colleagues votes. Surprisingly, I did not get mine back, so I directly impacted. I believe the makeup of the panel. It's probably for the best that I that I don't have a vote, But if I if I did have one, I would do it the same way that I always did it back when I did have one, which was poll people within the league or a lot smarter than me. I still do that poll toward the end of every season. Matthew Stafford was the winner in that poll. You know, he was. You know, I think that other than obviously he'd had a not great game on National TV against the Falcons down the stretch, but on the whole, you know, he was the best player in football this year. I think that's who's going to win. But now they went to this ranked choice voting system. You know, everything's a little bit different than it was, you know, back when I had a vote nine years ago.
Speaker 7: Tom Pelisaro, I do want to get your thoughts on the recent news from yesterday. We all understand that Brian Flora's signed his extension, but there is a caveat to all that if he actually gets asked to be the head coach of one of the teams that's available right now, he can take that. So can you just kind of break down what it all means for both sides, the Vikings and Brian Flores.
Speaker 3: The short version is the only way to get Brian Flores now is as your head coach up until yesterday, and really they had agreed to terms last week, but it got finalized and signed yesterday. Up until that time, another team, you know, whether that were the Commanders who interviewed him, whether that was the Packers who haven't opening, whether that was the forty nine ers, you could have potentially lured him as a defensive coordinator. I know Kevin O'Connell was always confident that Brian Flores was going to come back. My understanding is they made a huge offer the type that Flores as a decordinator was not going to be able to refuse. He is still in the mix. A interviewed with the Steelers on Tuesday. He previously interviewed for the Ravens head coaching job as well. But if one of those does not come through, then Flow is going to be back in Minnesota, which is a coup for the Vikings because again he could have said, you know what, it's been a good three years, I'm not getting a head coaching opportunities that I might think that I should be getting I'm going to go someplace else and see whether that changes. He decided Minnesota was the right place for him. There were millions of reasons for him to decide that it was the right place for him. We'll see what shakes out in those head coaching searches, but right now it looks like he'll be back in Minnesota.
Speaker 7: That's fantastic. I think that's all the news that we all wanted to hear. I mean, obviously, I think it was getting to be excited for him if he does get a head coaching opportunity, but it seems like that windows closing more and more. I do want to kind of shift and ask you about the matchups this weekend.
Speaker 1: Is there?
Speaker 7: I know that the Broncos are doing everything they can to like prop up Jared Stidham, but like in your heart of hearts, in your football mind, do they legit have a chance against this Patriots defense?
Speaker 3: Well? I would also say, how good can the Broncos defense been, because that's really what's driven them all season. They have not been an off offensive football team. Obviously, Sean Payton is really smart with offense and quarterback play, but if you look back through the season, I mean, there were plenty of times where bo Nix didn't play all that great and they're still winning games that might be a little bit ugly, and they might be you know, because the defense is creating takeaways, whatever it is. You know, the defense has to play the best game they played all season. I would not put all the pressure on Jared Stidham. Certainly, he's got to avoid the big mistakes. You know, if I you know, when I went back and just looked at my scouting report, is the guy hasn't played very much football. Let's be honest. He hasn't started a game since he you know, Russell Wilson was benched at the end of twenty twenty three, and he started those last two games. He's taking one snap this season. It was a kneel down. We have not seen the guy play a meaningful snap of football in over two years. But if you go back to you know, the original stuff out out of college, he throws a really pretty ball. You know, he handled a lot at Auburn. They were just you know, there were basic kind of mechanical and accuracy things that he had to work his way through. He's been a you know, a top backup obviously, you know the year before that, he got the opportunity to play in Vegas down the stretch after they bench Derek Carr. That's where his opportunities have come in the NFL. He was a Patriots draft pick. But the most we've seen a Jared Stidham was when they went all right, Derek Carr is not going to be back. We got to bench him, not run the risk of him getting hurt in us owing him his contract. All right, Stitty, you're up. And then the Broncos all right, same deal with Russell Wilson. We don't want to risk it him getting injured, him triggering guarantees. All right, Stitty, you're up. He hasn't played very much, and there's a real unknown to this. I would say, you know, a lot of it's going to come down to how effectively can they run the football. Seawn's going to try to get him some easy passes, get him in rhythm. But you know, if they're throwing the ball thirty five forty times in this game, I think it's a strong sign the Broncos aren't winning. They got to control it. They got to limit possessions and that defense has to play the best they have the entire season.
Speaker 8: We heard all week Tom about how good of a job kurtzig Netty has done with Indiana. How good of a job is Mike Vrabel done with this Patriots team.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable. And in that same pole that I did, Vrabel was the runaway winner. Not that there's not a great case for Ben Johnson, Mike McDonald, Liam Cohen. I mean, there were a bunch of coaches that did phenomenal work, Kyle Shanahan too, keeping that forty nine Ers team afloat amidst all the injuries they had through the course of the season. But when you think the Patriots were a four win team two years in a row, Billichick's last year, Grodmeo's last year for them too. Now they spent a ton of money in free agency. I mean, they spent top dollar to bring in Milton Williams, who's been an impact player, Stefan Diggs, who made one of the catches of the year last week where somehow in traffic two guys hitting them hands catch holds it to the ground. I mean, Diggs has had a phenomenal season. But also you have to eradicate a lot of losing culture that had been in that building for as good as the Patriots were for the bulk of Bill Belichick's tenure. You know, it's still remarkable, you know, the way that they flipped that thing around, and that speaks to how detailed Vrabel is. No coach in the NFL, I would say, is more in control of situations of rules of game management. And you can see it, you know the way that his you know, his presence impacts guys. He he's a disciplinarian of sorts in that you know, they've got hard rules. Never be a minute late to a training session, a treatment session, practice meetings. I mean, there's there's an accountability that comes with frable there, but you know he doesn't evoke that in a way. That's a negative culture. Where Bill Belichick for a long time and ver Abel of course played under him, had a negative reinforcement culture. It was highly successful. But for this generation of players, I don't know that that always is. You know something that's that's really effective to getting through Vrabel's able to walk that line. There's a belief that comes with it. Again, no situation is out of his control. Josh McDaniels also deserves a ton of credit for the work that he's been able to do with Drake May and that offense, getting made to go from being a guy that hey last year, you see some signs, you know, you see some flashes. He's had some good stretches here to now we're talking about him in the MVP conversation and a finalist for that award. You know, can't say enough about the job that Mike Rable has done and now going up against you know, a guy in Sean Payton who's done it for a long time. You know, the playoff success has not been there for Sean, you know, in recent years, but you know, this year getting his first playoff wins, the Broncos head coach, having the one seed where now they're playing at home for a shot in Super Bowl sixty. It's a it's a cool matchup. It'd probably be more fun if bo Knicks were out there, but it definitely adds to the drama of let's see you know, Sewn's calling card has always been what he can do with defense. Let's see what he can do with you know, basically seven days to get a guy ready who hasn't played a snap all year.
Speaker 2: Tom, give me a team whose quarterback room or quarterback situation directly affects the Vikings offseason the most, Like, is there a domino that Vikings fans should be watching to fall.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm looking at my board right here. I've got it all mapped out. I mean, there's so many of them. When you talk about, you know, how do they play it? You know, I mean start, let's start with the obvious ones, Arizona and Miami. I would anticipate, not not for sure, you know, because there are you could try to trade him, but I anticipate Kyler Murray into a talk of by law are probably gonna get cut, so immediately those two guys are going to go back out on the market. He got San Francisco with Mac Jones. Kyle Shanahan said the other day that he, you know, anticipates Mac Jones being back on the roster. I told you guys, I think it was last week or two weeks ago. I think the same thing. Brock Purty as good as he is, one of the most efficient quarterbacks sauce in NFL history, but he's missed boss every year. He's he's missed time every year. You want an effective backup, and mac Jones has shown even with you know, the injuries he was dealing with, he can be that backup on a pretty economical type of a contract. There's other teams, you know, in terms of exactly how do the Jets approach it. Odds are they're going to release Justin Fields. That's another guy who drops out there onto the market Pittsburgh. You know, if Mike McCarthy gets that job, that's probably the one coach on the planet that Aaron Rodgers would want to play for outside of Mike Tomlin. If not, you know, Aaron has to make a decision. I think it'll take less time than it did a year ago. He showed at the end of the year he's got something left. Does he make another run at trying to get himself into Minnesota. It's hard to imagine that works, just for the same reasons that it didn't work last year with JJ McCarthy. But I wouldn't, you know, rule out anything in that regard. What does Las Vegas do with Gino Smith. They're going to have another new coaching staff this year. Is he back? Are they releasing him? That's another guy who potentially could be out there on the market. But we can go round and round. There's a long list of different, you know, different quarterback situations. I would just say there's only ten to twelve teams right now that I would confidently say who their starting quarterback is going to be. There's not a lot of guys in the draft. You know, Fernando Mendoza showed again on Monday night. You know that he's all the reasons that he's probably the number one pick, and Mark Davis, Tom Brady, John Spy take, they were all there to witness him. I think that it would take the King of King's ransoms to get the number one pick away from Las Vegas. After that, you know, Ty Simpson's probably QB two going into the process. You know how high is he realistically going to go. I don't think the Vikings, you know, take a quarterback in the first round regardless. But to the extent that there's not a lot of guys for other teams to take, that means it is going to be a seller's market more than a buyer's market. The prices on these guys are probably going to be expensive. Daniel Jones is the top free agent. He's coming off an achilles injury. I know the Colts want him back. Can they find the number that gets it done? When the Vikings even consider re engaging, it seems unlikely based on how things played out last year. But all these things are part of the broader swath not to mention that there's going to be a bunch of you know, developmental type quarterbacks that are in this draft as well. Is there somebody that as they go through the process, Kevin O'Connell and Quacy like you know, we'll see. It's early, but these things, especially those releases, they're probably going to progress sooner.
Speaker 7: In the later all right, this is my partying question for you, Tom Fellasara. We'll keep it with the Vikings. Have you heard anything about the movement of Deronte Jones. I know that he was getting some looks as well as defensive coordinator positions. Now that be flows back, is it all likely that he's going to stick around and stay in his position with the Vikings? And then outside of the offensive line situation of finding a new coach, like, are we basically running it back with the coaching staff? Maybe except for me, a few players or a few coaches here and there.
Speaker 3: It does seem that way in all likelihood here. You know, with Deronte, I know he wants to be a coordinator. You know, as most of you know, most assistant coaches who have been in the league as long as he have, would want to do. He's certainly on the radar for the Jets and for the Packers. I think there's at least one other team that's requested him as well, so you know, he's one of those guys. He's had interviews in the past. You think his time is coming. He's a really sharp coach who's done a good job on that team. You know, these coordinator situations, though, are always hard to predict. Some of them are relationships, some are you know, who have you gone up against. Every team's going to have, just like with head coaches, different criteria. If you want a guy who's been a coordinator and has experience, you're probably going to go toward, you know, the Jonathan Gannons of the world, not Deronte Jones. But he potentially have an opportunity here. I was surprised, you know that Chris Cooper was let go as the offensive line coach that wasn't on radar. I don't get the sense that it was on coops radar either, But there's going to be when you look at what the Vikings are working with, when you look at, you know, the respect that Kevin O'Connell commands within the league, I think he's going to have options. One of the things that I would point out is there's still so many offensive coordinator jobs, just like defensive coordinator jobs. When you add up nine new coaching staffs or takes give me ten now, the number keeps increasing every time I'm on the show. Ten new coaching staffs. Only one I believe is opted at this point to retain a defensive coordinator and his hired an offensive coordinator. That's you know what's taking place in Atlanta with Kevin Stefanski hiring Tommy Reech, bringing back Jeff Ulbrick. You've got some of the other offensive coordinator jobs, Zach Robinson going to Tampa, Eric b Enemy back in Kansas City that have filled up. But there's still enough dominoes here that some of those let's say the in limbo offensive coordinator Canis are still waiting to see, all right, am I going to go be at OC somewhere or am I potentially going to go and be a position coach or have some type of an elevated title. Like one name that would jump to mine to be Frank Smith, who's been the offensive coordinator with the Dolphins, has been one of the most highly regarded, you know, coordinators. He was named the number one coordinator an NFLPA poll a couple of years ago. He well could be an oc dependy who gets some of these head coaching jobs. If he's not, He's always been a respected offensive line coach. You know, somebody like that. I don't think that Kevin O'Connell is just going to go and you know, hire a first time or there's a team that's ready to roll. You have to one way or another. Get Christian Deresaw back, you're ready to ready to go, fully healthy and ready to play seventeen games this season. I would think you'd want somebody with experienced, somebody who can work with players. You know, that's just one name, Frank Smith, But I would say that you know, certainly he's going to be looking and he's going to have options just because of the situation and the environment that they've got in Minnesota.
Speaker 6: Tom, before we let you go, I'm go and ask you just a real quick question that you'll be able to answer quickly.
Speaker 1: Why is football so popular?
Speaker 3: You said, that's one quick question. Why is football so popular? Why is it the biggest sport on the planet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me tell I'll give you a lot little insight on why I'm asking. Chuck Kloserman just released a book two days ago. It's called Football. It's about that exact subject. And I don't know if you know who Chuck Loserman is. He's one of my favorite authors at Cory Field the same way I love him. Can't wait to have him on the show again and talk to him about it. But that's essentially what the book is about. Why is football the most perfect sports? Specifically for Americans? If you were, off the top of your head, how would you answer that question?
Speaker 3: I would start by the fact that the NFL, unlike other professional sports right now in the United States, is a national and they hope to be a global sport. Baseball is hyper regional, and it's been impacted over the years by the lack of a salary cap, by the lack of any type of structure, the fact that the Yankees can buy every player and the Twins can choose to bank their money instead of spending it on free agents. The NBA also has been hyper local. The NHL has as well. Part of that is a big part of it is the media deals. It's the fact that the regional sports networks have gobbled up, you know, all these different things. And you know, as everybody who didn't watch a Timberwols game for five years like me knows, you know, there were a lot of fights. There were there were business models that were no longer effective. Now that streaming has become a bigger piece and I can have the fan Duel Sports TV app on my TV. Hey, I'm back to watching some Minnesota sports again. But there was a phase where you know, there were bankruptcy hearings and there's you know, the major sports leagues taking over the television rights to some teams. It's because the model was upside down, because there were some teams that could draw far more money from those rights deals. If you're the New York Yankees, you've got a lot more money coming in than the Colorado Rockies. And that's just the way that it is. The NFL based upon the brilliance of the people who were running the sport in the nineteen fifties, and nineteen sixties and putting games on CBS and putting games on national networks, and that's only expanded. They've been ahead of the game for many years as well. You know, there was Mark Cuban had the quote years ago, you know that the NFL was going to get too big. Pigs get what it was it pigs get something, hogs gets slotted, whatever, whatever the hell that got what was? But it was, you know, the prediction was the NFL was going to become too big, it was going to eventually wear people out and the golden goose would get cooked. The opposite has happened, and it's because fifteen years ago they already they're broadcasting committee Jonathan Kraft. You know, the one of the Patriots owners was a big piece of it. They were ahead of the game and understanding that rather than having three or four networks like have been the traditional bidders. In other words, when people were saying, well, these billion dollar contracts aren't going to exist anymore because people are going to stop having cable TV and the networks won't have as much power. The way the NFL looked at it was we've only had three or four bidders at the table for years now with these streaming services, will have one hundred bidders that are all trying to get a piece. And not only is it well, there's been the CBS package of the Fox package and all right, NBC has one game a week, in ESPN, ABC have one game week. Now it's worth selling off random ass Black Friday games and gave them Brazil and Christmas games and you have all these other entities and they're being sold to these bidders. They weren't even in the space. It all began. People forget about this. They did streaming games on Twitter that didn't work out great, but it was an initial experiment. What if we took a game and put it on a specific micro thing. Twitter was huge, but it was this thing that the average NFL fan wasn't used to having to log onto Twitter and figure out how to watch a game. That didn't go great because the stream wasn't great, but it also opened the eyes of we can definitely do this and people are going to come. And that's where you now have Prime and Peacock and I can't even remember all the different places. You know, Prime has a game all the time, but you know there's an exclusive Peacock game, and you're gonna put these things in different places. That's going to continue to happen, and people are gonna bitch and moan about it because now I gotta pay, I gotta have all these different streaming services. What they lose oo is that you still get every one of your games, every one of your team's games that are free. You're not paying for an app, you're not paying for a regional sports network. You still get all these other the national games. You still get two other games every single Sunday in the noon window and or the three pm windows Central. You get the NBC game, you get the Thursday night game that's on Prime, but you get the Monday night game as well, that's streamed on all kinds of different places. And if you have any streaming service at all, you don't have to pay separately for it. You still have a larger chunk of games that are going out to a broad national audience. The next level of this and where they're trying to extend it, and where the twenty twenty eight Olympics are so important, is because that's their opportunity. The reason the NFL owners are going to be sitting there going, God, I don't want Justin Jefferson out there, you know, playing, and he you know, shreds his ACL in July and I lose him for the season. The NFL is going to go, guys, do you understand the billions and billions of dollars if we can launch this, we put the best players out there. And even if it's you know, ar Jackson throwing to Justin Jefferson dunking over some poor kid, the one NFL player from Angola as to use the nineteen ninety two Dream Team example, it's still gonna be like, oh my god, this is awesome, and the world will be watching. You're going to see an extension where every team eventually is playing an international game. My personal prediction, not speaking on behalf of the NFL. I believe eventually it'll be two international games for every team, and you will send pods into different countries, four teams at a time, and they'll play crossover games and do two games over a two week span, and you can place those different things. You can launch it in China, you can launch it not just you know, in Germany. You can take it to Africa, you can take it to South America. Australia where the Rams are going to play a game next year. That's a long answer to a short question, hawk, But essentially the reason it's the biggest sport in the country is because where all the other teams became tribal and very much hyper focused on you were going to pay to watch your team one hundred and sixty two games this summer, and we're not going to pay to actually bring in players you want to see. We're gonna pocket the money. Is Hey, we don't have the deal the Yankees have, So what are the odds we're gonna spend extra fifty million dollars and we still are We're closer to three and are million dollars payroll? Well, or we're just gonna be the little engine that could and try to win. The NFL is a salary cap. They have a salary floor. Everybody in the aggregate spends the same amount of money roughly over a long period of time. You have national audience, you have national games all the time. You cannot avoid the NFL. If I don't subscribe to an app on my TV, I wouldn't even know it's basketball season unless I accidentally stumble across something. The NFL is unavoidable. It is woven into the fabric of society. And whether you want to say, you know the NFL, the NFL is greedy, the owners are greedy, whatever, it has been extremely effective and you still get more free football than you get free anything else.
Speaker 2: Fantastic answer, excellent brother. We also have accepted cool catches.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's also very paradous. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought about trying to fill a buster all the way to the top of the hour, just to see if even almost off. Yeah, just blow through your break, piss off your sponsors.
Speaker 6: And that answer is why you're there and we're still here.
Speaker 1: Tom. That was really good. Well done man.
Speaker 6: Well saw your answer was because I like football, That's what I said. Yeah, and you like you said boobs at one point.
Speaker 1: I've never been able to talk that long on this show.
Speaker 3: Fantasy football in there either.
Speaker 6: No, thank you, brother, Tom, You're the best man. Thanks guys, no doubt.
Speaker 1: That was outstanding. Good question. Why don't you try Why do you think football is so big?
Speaker 8: Fantasy football it's something, No, but it's it's not on for eight months like the basketball season is, which starts in October and ends in June. Is that eight months. Yeah, it's on too long. And even Zacho's sport, it's on too long. You you miss football.
Speaker 3: Football.
Speaker 8: The NFL makes the heart girl fonder, even though they have put themselves in every month. I think it's it's just made. It's a sport made for TV. Yes, the yellow line they own a week, a day of the week, easy to follow. You don't have to watch the whole game to get an idea where you were at. It's it's a cool sport. And I'm sorry that.
Speaker 6: Honestly, you guys, you got to listen to close to me because he talks about why hockey isn't as good, he talks about why basketball isn't as good. Why he breaks it all down, not in a way that sounds homerst you know, he's not like saying it's my favorite sport and this is why he's saying, this is why it's a better television sport than any other sport. And it makes so much sense. It's he's so good. I'm only two chapters into it court and I'm super bo had not heard about it at all. It's called football. It's Chuck Close came out two days ago.
Speaker 1: It's the best now it's time for line.
Speaker 2: There's a new trend called house burping. M you've maybe done it, you just didn't know you were doing it. I guess the new thing is houseburpy, and it's when you open your doors and windows to let the stale air out.
Speaker 1: And new air in.
Speaker 2: So basically, you air your place out in the morning. You house burp.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've never heard of called.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I I that's gross.
Speaker 2: Vana White married her partner after more than twelve years together. I've never known her situation. I just assume she's been married for fifteen years.
Speaker 5: I never asked she got married. Like, what I see is that I don't know that she had kids.
Speaker 1: Did she have kids? Who did she marry? Who was the first person she married? Hawk done Van Dyke? Okay, oh, I.
Speaker 6: Just house Purp's sorry, I just open all the windows. That's my house, brother, Yeah right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a house. Listen to the Hawkster time Flies.
Speaker 2: It was on this date in twenty ten, So sixteen years ago. Conan O'Brien accepted a forty five million dollar buyout and made his final appearance as the host of the Tonight Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's hard to be too upset man.
Speaker 2: He got completely screwed, but forty five million makes it a little easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well a lot of that went to his staff. Yeah, because he's the best dude ever paid offs to go his entire staff. Yeah, he's a good did Yeah, he's the goat. Good for him. He's very good on TV. Yeah, Like this podcast is incredible. What's his podcast called? Hawk? Two Girls, one cup? My god? You you need you need to self. I didn't name it. I think he's self burked this morning. Yeah, no, I don't think he. I think I was in the parking lot. Ow dare you? It's too cold out there? Twins.
Speaker 2: Picture of Pablo Lopez makes his Power Trip debut tomorrow. He should be here around seven fifteen or so. He'll play initials at eight fifteen. John criesil tomorrow probably mistress tomorrow. Who knows, Mark Parrish, Marni Gelliner, lots to get to tomorrow five thirty to nine, nine to noon, it's next.
Speaker 1: I already have a running for day to Abadaba. Stay warm, bundle up, everybody, take care of yourself. Kn't be careful. Love you bye. Ques