Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Last night, on Dodger talk I explained the rules of approaching relief pictures. When they don't perform, well, everybody's at their locker. But when you strike out the side in the seventh inning the first time in your career, I expect everybody to be in front of your locker. Nobody was there. That's why I'm here with Jack Dryer. Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciated, Thank you for having me. I know the rules of relief pitching and media dealings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no comment on that.
Speaker 2: Hey, As a relief pitcher though, you have to have a short memory. Have you learned that part of this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day, you know your job is to go and give your team a chance to win every time you go out there, and so regardless of what happened last time, you just have to go out there and do it every time.
Speaker 2: How did you reset? Did the day off help you reset? I heard you were looking for a new dog.
Speaker 3: Wow through the grape fine? I guess No.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a combination of you know, going back to my preparation and you know, all of the work that we put in on a daily basis to be ready to go, and then just having that conviction in yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you have to remind yourself that you're really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It feels like there's that cat and mouse game between hitters and pictures where the hitter seems to give pictures too much credit and the pictures sometimes give the hitters too much credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that with the Dodgers, everybody does a really good job of kind of communicating from the offense and defensive side, so we kind of have a good idea of what is going through the hitters' minds and vice versa. So I think the communication between the two sides is really good.
Speaker 2: Can you believe I was shocked, because you were so good last year that you hadn't struck out the side in an inning before in your short career. Are you when you heard that? Did you realize that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean it crossed my mind because it always feels good, you know, but no, I hadn't really realized that it was the first time.
Speaker 3: So, so that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Jack Dryer is our guest last night the Dodger bullpen put up zeros again. How rewarding is it on a night like last night where it's not just you, but it's for other relievers that are big time parts of this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think it's awesome. Our offense has been outstanding lately as well as the starting pitching, and so for us as the bullpen, being that you know, third cog in the in the gears, to be firing on all cylinders was pretty special.
Speaker 2: What do you believe it is with Tanner Scott this year? You were just playing catch with him, You're walking in with him. It feels like he's a new man this season.
Speaker 3: I don't think anything's changed.
Speaker 1: I think he has the belief in himself and we all have the belief in him. So, you know, for him to be healthy and helping us and have everybody kind of, like I said, firing on all cylinders, We're just we're just in a good spot right now.
Speaker 2: I remember last year during the regular season, Alex Vesia really kind of took you under his swing. You guys have a lot of shared interests and he was your catch partner. What's it like for you to have him back in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's outstanding, not only from a leadership perspective, you know, behind the scenes actually talking, but the leadership that you see and feel when he's on the mound in the game really goes a long way. And you know, the crowd feels it. You can hear it in the crowd that when he's coming in the game, they're like, oh, we're good to go. So it's really cool to see and you know, something that you aspire to be as another bullpen arm.
Speaker 2: What kind of energy has he brought to the bullpen? Is it the same energy or is it a little extra with that beard?
Speaker 1: Oh, the beard is great, but he's always brought the energy. You know, in terms of when I talk about preparation, nobody does it better than him. And so, like I said, when he goes out there, we know that he's putting us in the best spot to win the game. And so it's just really really cool to see, like how much success he's been having in Toronto.
Speaker 2: It was his first opportunity to be there after the World Series. Obviously, was it as emotional as it was portrayed for him?
Speaker 1: I think that Ves does a good job of separating those things. You know, whatever it is that he's feeling under the surface. I think that he did a great job of, you know, keeping the emotions in check when he was on the mound, and you know, the energy was always the same and how he talks is always the same.
Speaker 3: And you know, for that being his.
Speaker 1: Three hundredth appearance as a Dodger, like, that's a that's an incredible milestone. And so I think overall it was just just a really cool experience to see Jack.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on getting it back on the rails last night. It seems like you have a pretty good sense of yourself to be steady. Am I reading that correctly? Yes, I'd like to think so, don't over analyze things, right Jack, that's right. By the way, your wife tipped me off that you were looking for a dog on.
Speaker 3: The off day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I figured it was her. I think she might have been looking for dog. I don't know if we were looking for a dog and what happened.
Speaker 3: Nothing, We didn't even talk about it.
Speaker 1: We went to the Huntington Gardens and enjoyed a day off and walked around the park.
Speaker 3: So it was nice. There we go.
Speaker 2: That's a good reset day. Thanks a lot for the time great to see you smiling. And don't forget, I understand the etiquette with relievers.
Speaker 3: All right. Thank you for having me. I appreciate it.