Speaker 1: Don't want to be going to that abound seven hundred dollars all that will be welcome to it. You know, I am sick to the trade. Only first on the radio station that actually is a blue collar kind of guy. Everyone else sits on and you know they really suese people. It's a stupid job. I sit in here and talk to myself for three hours. I have no idea if you're listening, and then why I'm not here. I'm doing the constructor light itself, you know, remodeling, and I rentals and things like that. So I love the trades and I'm passionate about it, and I love getting people in industry and manufacturing and things like that. So that's I'm excited when I saw this story. A thirty one million dollar advanced manufacturing workforce and innovation hub is going in in Hamilton. It's if you know the old Champion Paper building is, it's located there. It's like three hundred and seventy five thousand square feet. It's it's incredible the scope of this, and it's Butler Tech. It's Ohio mean jobs, Butler County and our friends at Miami University are all teaming up to do this project because Ohio every year we generate something like one hundred and forty billion dollars annually. Seven hundred thousand jobs in Ohio are in what's called a m when you hear AM hub, that's advanced manufacturing hub, and we want more of those jobs here. Ohi's in the top five. We want to be number one. And one of the people behind this is the president of the Miami University, Gregory Crawford. Mister president, Good morning, how are you? Thanks for having me. Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a president and studio of anything before. Maybe you're gonna be the first. This is hollowed ground. Hey, good to have you here on the show this morning. And by the way, you know, i'd be remiss if by to take congratulations to your basketball team.
Speaker 2: I know our men's team is undefeated and our women is undefeated in the MAC and hockey teams really.
Speaker 1: Doing super well too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're all excited about Red Hawk athletics.
Speaker 1: I know I'm sick for hockey and Coffe's college basketball too. So Miami it's always a fun place to go and watch games as well, and so congratulations for that. By the way, you are the hope that of all Cincinnati right now, because all the rest of our teams here are terrible. So we are like totally leaning into Miami University Athletics right now. You hope. We love the attention. I know you do. Let's get into you'll hear the term am AT today. AM hub. We have AM and it means advanced manufacturing. People here that go what exactly is advanced manufacturing?
Speaker 2: So advanced manufacturing utilizes the state of the art equipment and technology, and furthermore, it's leverages data science and artificial intelligence and cybersecurity and the digital side of it as well. And so our Advanced Manufacturing Hub is bringing that all together for training for students that can do certificates, they can do associate degrees or bachelor's degrees.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there's another one too. It's called additive manufacturing, which is three D.
Speaker 2: Right, it's three D manufacturing, Yeah, and so it can be One example would be a polymer that you program it in it keeps layering the polymer down until it gives you a great object that you're trying to design.
Speaker 1: Right right, this is the future of you know, machine shops used to be these greasy places and now it's like a computer lab where you have to it's clean rooms and white white lab coats, and even more so with three D printing. And so if you think this is these are the manufacturing jobs of old where you're in a factory and it's awful and you know, giant presses are smashing your body parts, It's like, that's not the way it is anymore because it's very it's super high tech.
Speaker 2: It's really impressive.
Speaker 1: And what of these do you know the top of your head? With these jobs typically pay, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: The graduates of engineering technology can start off in the sixty to seventy thousand dollars range. This depending whether your mechanical technology or computer technology or electoral technology. And so there tend to be well paying jobs. They are in demand and the employers are looking for that talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and then that's the thing too, is we have this in Ohio, this unique strategic advantage that most other states don't have. Right, we have that geographic position in Cincinnati is the heart of the country, right, we're in the middle in the valley of that. We also have infrastructure that's already in place, be it rail roads, an Automotive Corridor. We have aerospace here in southwest Ohio, and so all those things come together and it's really attractive for businesses. The only missing piece, of course, is workforce regular labor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, work for development is super important for Ohio and any time they're trying to recruit a company to Ohio, it comes down to talent, talent and talent. And so we believe Butler Tech and Miami University and all our partners Ohio means Jobs. The Butler County Commissioners and the City of Hamilton believe we can pull this off and deliver the talent that this state needs to attract those companies.
Speaker 1: Okay, so take me through it. Let's say somebody wants to get into this program. What is their day like, what is their life like?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, So there's all kinds of entry level points. So we collaborate with the phenomenal Career Tech High School and there we coexist together, but it's much more integrated in that building. So Butler Tech is there, and so students can graduate with the high school diploma with the workforce development in manufacturing, and then if they wish, they can do a certificate at the manufacturing Hubay, they can do an associate degree a bachelor's degree, and so the education is very hands on. And so if a student's looking to do experiential learning, to get in there and learn, I doing improve with practice and growth experience. It's the right sort of career choice that you can take and graduate with a great job. And you don't necessarily have to do all your degree all at once. You can come in, get a certificate, go work. Then the company can help pay for associate degree, go back, so we can cycle back all these you know, students that we're graduates and then get more advanced degrees as time goes on, and we work hand in hand with our employers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's you, it's Butler Tech, it's Butler County and O High means jobs and so it's not just you know, engineering students for example at Miami University, it's also people to Butler Tech that are going to be the technicians in the field and even high schools. It sounds like as well, and you're you're encompassing all this. It's a multi generational kind of thing and multi multi practice kind of thing as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we're so excited to work with Butler Tech. You know, it's a phenomenal career tech high school. It's well known in Ohio but across the country, and we bring that together with the Miami brand, and then we have all the support of our partners through the Butler County Commissioner and Ohio Means Jobs in the city of Hamilton, and so it all kind of blended together in a great way. And we had to launch on Monday, and so we're off and going.
Speaker 1: I love this. Everything's up and running at this point. How many students that any one time can go through this.
Speaker 2: It's a very large building, and so there'll certainly be several hundred students in our Engineering technology program, and there'll be several hundred students that'll be from Butler Tech, and we'll kind of have that end to end, you know, the high school of the kids that'll be working a little bit with the students at Miami and vice versa. The Butler Tech students can also get college credit while they're there, and so they can accelerate an associate or a bachelor's degree and pay a lot less money for it when they're done because they can leverage the programs at Ohio and get it paid for it.
Speaker 1: I love how it also com mingles different different experiences and backgrounds, which is important at university like Miami President Crawford, but also younger people like it started. I'm guessing what ninth tenth grade this starts, and then you get on this track and then you're you know, working alongside or learning alongside I should say, students from my university. And so it's like this whole pipeline and when they graduate, they're ready to go with the workforce exactly.
Speaker 2: So we're super excited and we couldn't be more happy with our partners that came in to make this all happen, this vision of reality. And then I was super excited because it took about two years and you could see it progress. We were able with the Butler County Commissioner support and finance, we were able to get that building is already adjacent to our campus and touches it and so it broadened our campus out. But the building, if you haven't seen it as spectacular and the equipment is even more important.
Speaker 1: I have to see it in person at some point too, because I'm fast and I love that stuff, and I love advocating for it. He's a president of Miami University, doctor Gregor Crawford, and study this morning and talking about this new thirty one million dollar advanced Manufacturing hub in Hamilton, which is going to be a pipeline, a conduit for jobs here in Ohio. We have all these wonderful things. We've got proximity, we've got a location, we've got we've got a workforce ready to go, and it's bringing all these things together. And I don't often talk about you as you know, the struggles universities are are well known. And I don't want to say, you know, you've hit a bubble, but you know your transition. Let's put it this is this the future of the way schools are going to go. Now where we're we're taking not just the you know, the halls of academia, but we're also going, hey, you know, if you want hands on learning, experience and workforce ready, we're pairing that into one seamless operation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's actually works really well with our Hamilton campus and the degrees there that were really popular was Engineering, Technology and Commerce, which is the business degree there, and nursing and healthcare and so forth. So it really came into the vision with this manufacturing technology in a big way, and then we hit with Butler Tech and then off we go. And so I do think this experiential learning is something that students are looking for. And also when they graduate, you know, college is expensive, no question, they're looking for a great career to jump right in.
Speaker 1: And or or maybe it's the fact that like, hey, I'm reluctant to do college because it's so expensive college. I don't know if I'm college material, but I'll start here with this hands on and maybe it grows to the point where, like, you know what, I really want to be an engineer and then you go into the Beckelord program at Miami and you know, you know you're ready by that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And that's the pathway that they can follow as well. They can start at the manufacturing hob and if they want to go into you know, an engineering degree, they can transfer over to Miami and Oxford seamlessly and and you know, move their career ahead that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We're also going to see and I'm sure there is how many companies, how many manufacturing companies are behind this, because that's the motivator for them is, Hey, we invest in this. We've got a workforce already. We have a say basically in how these students are coming out of school. They're ready to learn as opposed to you know, you're the stories like, well now we've got to retrain them the right way because of what they learned is there's a disconnect. It sounds like this, this eliminates that. How many companies are involved in this process?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got thirty companies so far and it's an exciting cohort.
Speaker 1: And you're right.
Speaker 2: They work with us to think through the curricula and like what their talent needs if they hire them in their company. And so we get that first hand knowledge from our constituents and our stakehold holders, and so we brought them into the fold to help us think through what the next what the future curriculum looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Miami University is part of Miami Thrive. I keep seeing that pop up to what is that.
Speaker 2: Miami Thrive is the name of our brand new strategic plan. And so we've been at it and we just are now in the execution phase. We talked to more than two thousand people and stakeholders. We had more than two hundred that were involved in committee work, and we thought future back, so we ask ourselves, what do students want twenty thirty five and how do we prepare for that? We thought present forward, lots of challenges and hire ed as you mentioned, and so how do we stay robust? And then also we thought past fulfilling.
Speaker 1: What got us to this.
Speaker 2: Miami's been known for undergraduate education, the teacher scholar model. We have phenomenal faculty that do both very well, and we're really known for being student first, and we're never going to lose that piece of it. So we're moving into the future with some of the traditions that got us here and then thinking big about some of the new stuff that we'll be offering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how quickly from graduation or you get a certificate? Orders are you? Are you in the workforce the next day if you wanted to be. There's gonna be no problem to imagine matching people who graduate with a.
Speaker 2: Job, absolutely no problem. Yeah whatsoever? Yeah, it's you know, the next day. We may be embellishing a little bit there, but once they graduate and also working at the manufacturing hub, they're already knowing the companies who are going to want to hire that and so they'll have that in place, and so they may even have job offers long before they ground.
Speaker 1: They're fighting over the bodies. That's spine. It's going to be fought. It makes you feel you know, it validates your what you've done, what you've invested in. You're like, Wow, all these companies want to hire me. That's pretty cool. And the better yar at what you do, have more money you're gonna make. So that's that's how it should work. Anyway. I love that Ohio meets Jobs is right there with you as well, and this whole step of the way where they're going to you know, place people in these and we're going to see more fan manufacturing wind up relocating to Ohio because of the set imagine.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure, with the on storing and restoring taking place in the country and how important manufacturing has been in this country as a cornerstone and now going to the future with advanced manufacturing, smart manufacturing and all the AI that's taking place in manufacturing, we're ready to go. And so we want to recruit the talent to graduate and be a part of this industry and also recruit those companies to Ohio and make a stronger economy here.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the state is part of this going. Hey, listen, we're going to try and now get these companies to come back to Ohio and put up manufacturing hubs around there, because you know, in that area. It's beautiful in Oxford, but there's all sorts of rumor if you want to do it up there. I guess near Hamilton, there's some areas that you can do that. But that's not just here, it's across the whole state. And then of course, you know Columbus, we've got Intel at some points going and I think in thirty thirty one we've got these AI data centers coming in and we're starting to see resurgence here in Ohio.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's exciting because that just means there's a lot more opportunity for our graduates right right.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to you know, you want to be able to pay off the loan. At some point. They got to service the loan. That's a problem. And these are the jobs that are needed right now. And I'm glad we're finally leading into this year. You know, I've been a big proponent of the trades, but that's also part of this too. You know that the people are going to build a swiicility. You know, you've got plumbers, you've got electricians, you get people who are experts in motor systems and things like that, buildings and you know it's good for everybody, and that that rising tide lifts all boats. Where do you want to see this like in ten years?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's going to be just thousands and thousands of students. And we do want to have the model where as I mentioned earlier, cycle back, So come go to the workforce, work you know, come part time, take time off, come full time back to us. Just keep it, you know, keep learning, piling up those credentials, always to keep advancing in your career.
Speaker 1: But we're there for you.
Speaker 2: And it really is a new definition of lifelong learning because they can keep coming back and keep getting more continuous.
Speaker 1: Learning as it were. You know, where was there a spot at the room at the table And I didn't get into this. I should have before. Maybe adults that want to get into this too, because it's like, Okay, we've got high school kids, we've got young people in college, but what about somebody who is working a job now going I got to do something else that's as a future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and that's always been a strength of our regional campus there in Hamilton. For adult learners, there is always a pathway back. And working with Ohio Means Jobs is really they work with adults. They're looking to pivot in their career or enhance their career or find a new career path. And so we'll be working with adults as well. So it'll be end to end from high school students all the way have through adults.
Speaker 1: And I see there's like child carest part of this too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll be moving to make sure we have solutions for that in the future as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the other big things is transportation. Does that affect you all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They have the bus service comes right up front of the building and drops them off, and so that's particularly super important for Ohio Means Jobs.
Speaker 1: You thought of everything, I hope we did. What about lunch, you got a place that you had lunch there? Coming to parking, parking spots, we got enough parking parking and has a mult situation, got good mulch around the buildings. Right now, you're going too far, I gotta ask. I was like, make sure I got to poke holes. Does it make sure that you thought this through completely, young man? I No, I think it's awesome And I'm really excited about this too, because I think this is the future. You know, there's so much bad news and negative news these days with the economy and things, and you hear this and go, wow, we're starting to figure it out here in Ohio, like we could really you bring this manufacturing back. You know, the President was talking about that and repatriating jobs and I'm shoring jobs here. But this is where the rubber meets the road. It's getting young people involved saying, hey, this is a good career. It's hands on, it's tactile, we're leaning in it. I'm glad Miami's spiriting this.
Speaker 2: No, we're super excited. And the building's oppressive. The equipment's more impressive. Probably when you talk with our students, the Butler Tech students that are there and the Miami University students, you will just be blown away, a boy, how excited they are and how enthusiastic they are, and how talented these students are. And they're going to be the next you know, manufacturing engineering technologists in our country.
Speaker 1: And if you're a mom, dad, Gramma Grip, don't don't go in on manufacture. I'm telling it's like nanotechnology and three D and robot it's it's not all the way it used to be. How even twenty years ago or five years ago for that, you're you're right.
Speaker 2: It is as high tech as it gets, and it's not what you might think of what manufacturing used to look like decades ago. It's just a it's a phenomenal career path and we're there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll talk I'll talk to parents about you know, like I'm the building trades or something like. I don't know, I saw those guys are like sitting there eating their lunch on an ingot on top of New York City and in the black and white picture, yeah, when they're building the Empire State Building in nineteen thirty. Yeah, yeah, that one. It's like nobody's doing that anymore. There's no one jumping and throwing firing hot rivets at the guy up there, and there's no absolutely no net below them whatsoever. I mean, that's incredible and impressive, but it hasn't been that way in a long time. It's like, you gotta check out some of the high tech stuff right now. It's more like a laboratory than it is a factory.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you walk through, you see the additive manufacturing, subtractive manufacturing, the CDC machines.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Yeah, extremely close tolerances. And we're doing it right here in America. And these are great jobs are going to be around for a long time. That's the most important thing. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And you know, this country always was known for making things, and so I'm so glad to see the manufacturing so strong in Ohio and picking up even more.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I wish more universities would do what you're doing at Miami. Really, it's impressive, it's cool, and it's the future too. And the way you've developed this learning model, and because it directly means jobs, that's what this is we've got a great workforce. Let's stop the brain during keep those jobs here and bring more jobs to the Buckeye State. It's good for all of us. Absolutely. All right, Gregory Crawford, President of the at Miami University. I appreciate you coming in studio this morning. Thanks for taking time out. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's wonderful to be here.
Speaker 1: He there, Congratulations, We're about five minutes away. From news here on the show. Well, complete weather update, got some weather moving in the next twenty four hours. Figure out what's going on without your traffic traffic of course when we return on the show. I had a representative of yesterday from Claremont County discussing nil in high school sports and he had another lawmaker but you know, both from the CIN scenario, want to get rid of name, image, likeness, money going to high school athletes. And I had to revisit this. If you didn't hear it yesterday, I'll play a clip for you. Also, the latest on the disappearance of Savannah Guthrie's mom. They may have some developments in this case. We'll talk about that next right afternoons Sloany on seven hundred WW Scott Sloan Show. This is seven hundred wlw Welcome to it. Fighting the linger not wanting almost sort of a cold on a level of ten being the worst cold ever and zero being clear. I'm like a one or two a couple other people, right, maybe you as well, Like I just have this kind of sniffles, little stuffy snort a little last night, which I normally don't do, Like it wants to go away. Then it wants to come. It's the weirdest thing wants to go get it. It's just like hovering around. They don't get sick all that much anyway. I mean stress colds and stuff go get I'm good for once a year. Usually it's later in the season many way. Hopefully you're not suffering that if you are well. I think most of us have something like that going. I just it's gonna hang around, but not quite developing a full cold. At least it's not the flu. I'll take that any day of the week. Well, home to the show on this Thursday morning and made at back half of the week. It was all good. We've got lots going on the show today. Later at eleven oh seven, council Member Anna Albion regarding the city paying almost one hundred thousand dollars per kid to house them in the Curfew center, So at a three hundred and eighty thousand dollars plus budget for the last year and a half, we've had exactly four kids who were not collected from their parents or guardians when it came to curfew violations. And have a reasonable question, gona really worth it, because you know I'll do that one hundred thousand dollars. Kid, roughly, I'll do it for seventy five. Bring one of my house, I'll watch them for seventy five. Grand Well, that parents show. What's the worst that could happen? What's the worst that could happen. I want to get to some of the Savannah Guthrie stuff in the second because we have some developing information about that. But first though, kind of circling back to the last Yesterday show. If you heard it, hang on a second. If you didn't hear it, you can catch that via the podcast on the iHeart Radio app for free. And maybe you're heading out and you couldn't, you can always take us on your headphones. Who We're portable. We go wherever you are, We follow you around. We're stalkers. We should get you should have a restraining order put out against the iHeart Radio app and seven hundred w But I do that if I were you, because we're kind of creepy that way. We go wherever you want, where you go. So yesterday in the show, I had Adam Bird on. Adam of course front of the show. He's a lawmaker from New Richmond State representative out of Claremont County, and he's co sponsoring legislation to ban high school and IL deals because and you know rightly, so you saw what happened in college. We saw the problems that's created with college. But I would contend that that's not a problem. It's evolution. It's not what we're used to. And anytime you introduce a game changer like that's something that just absolutely shifts the earth. They are gonna be obviously unintended consequences, but you're gonna look at it go wow, this is really jacked up right now. Eventually it will settle down. Eventually water finds its own level. So certainly for the next few years it's going to be problematic with college and NIL and you know, sports betting and all those other things that factor into this untill we, you know, learn some lessons here and come up with the best practices in the solution. And I don't know, maybe it is banning, maybe, but I don't think it's going to go back that way. He is concerned about this when it comes to high school athletes. Now you know me when it comes to and I don't care who the hell's in power, That's where I come from. It doesn't matter if it's a Republican or Democrat. I just I want less of these guys in friend in my life. And you could talk about Obamacare and healthcare, I could talk about Trump wanting to nationalize or federalize elections. At this point, I just we need less of them because whatever they touch turns to crap. Quite honestly, like the less you guys do, the less you're involved in my day to day life, the better. So I look at this and go, okay, well, we want to ban nil money in high school. Well why would we do that. Here's the explanation Atedinburg gave on the floor yesterday.
Speaker 4: If someone is so talented athletically, then by all means take advantage of the opportunities that exist in the Olympics, that exist in professional tours, that exist in going to college early and making nil money early as at college athletes.
Speaker 1: I'm not quite sure what that remedy is that Okay, well, okay, leave go high school, will go to college, go early. I don't know you're gonna be able to do that necessarily, or go play on the tour or whatever it is. And I think a lot of people who are you know, exceptional what they do at sports in this case will do that. You know, we saw my Lebron James, great example, but those are so few and far between. I guess I look at it and Okay, what is the what's the dangerer while we're corrupting these kids, and it's it's undermining amateur athletics. And it's a huge, huge, huge problem. I don't know how big a problem it is. I mean, if you think about the anil On high school college a little bit different and certainly pros are I I you're a professional athlete at that point. How many kids in Ohio is this really going to effect? I mean we're talking maybe life changing money. Let's say your kid is the next I don't know, tennis, superstar, golf, football, mister of football Ohio lock to be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. My kids, a quarterback is so good that teams, the NFL teams are really salivating and we're hoping that because it will be the Cleveland of the Jets that wind up getting the first pick, because I always do, and they'll screw this kid up. So we gotta get our money. Now. Hopefully we don't go to Cleveland or the Jets. But you have a chance to make literally life changing money in a country where capitalism is king and our president is exactly is the poster boy for capitalism, right, the guy we got now the guys the standard barrier party is literally you look up capitalists. It's a picture of President Trump. Why are we not doing this when it comes to high school Like, if you have a talent or a nobility that no one else has, or you're the best at that particular talent ability, how can you deny them the right to profit from their own name, image, and likeness, and why should the government interfere with that? Well, you're ruining schools. How are we ruining schools? Look at our schools are run. Look at our schools are funded and finance. Look at our test scores compared to the rest of the world. You've already screwed the schools. This is not gonna screw the schools up more. The stuff we worry about, the handwringing and the pro clutching, is unreal. If my kid is so good and he gives you thing, well, you can't have a kid make more money than the bus driver, the janitor, or the teacher. Yeah you can, Yes, you can. A doctor who has come up with a cure for Alzheimer's or cancer, whatever it might be, is still going to make less money than the best head coach of the National Football League? Is that right now? From an ethical standpoint, if you take it all the way go, yeah, it's kind of jacked up. And you know, we always hear from teachers the educator. Oh, teachers should be making millions of dollars a year. No they shouldn't, No, they shouldn't. Do you know why teachers make the money they do because we have enough teachers. When we start to run out of teachers, then teachers will make more. It is about having about having an intangible benefit or skill that no one else has. So is it fair that a plastic surgeon makes a measurably more money than an er doctor. Well, now, the er doctors, they are saving people's lives and this guy's just doing cosmetic surgery. Yeah, but again it's a specialty. He's good at one particular craft. He's making way more money. I mean, it doesn't sound fair, but life isn't about things being fair all the time. When you and so now they're saying, well, now you can't. You can't profit from your name age. It's my name, it's my image of my likeness. And if the schools are telling me no, I got a problem with that. By really have a problem with a politician telling me that. A lawmaker and I love I love Adam. We've been them before and talk. It's not a personal attack by any stretch of the imagination. I think we just differ philosophically on why this intervention is needed. And I don't know how many kids it's going to affect. Typically, if you know you're a standout athlete, you're the high school football star in rural Ohio, you know you're not going to get a million dollar contract from a local muffler shop. You might, you know, your parents might get a free muffler out of it. Maybe you got some walking around money, but it's not life changing most because I won't get life changing money. I would say if your kid is a you know, maybe they go to school in Cincinnati and they go to the Academy Performing Arts right, and wow, they're really talented. They're gonna be anoche agen see that the time. Right kids are in shows and national they're making good money they're getting paid. We should we ban a kid who's a good actor, actress, a singer, a musician, an artist. What about a kid who I don't know? This happens occasionally. It's pretty rare, I would imagine, but I don't know. They're they're really scientifically minded, and at the science fair they come up with I don't know, some sort of alternative to some sort of I don't know, you name it. And so the sciences are like a company goes, Wow, that's a really good idea. I'm gonna buy the product. Like buy the product like they do a shark tank. Should we prevent that from happening because it's exploiting the kid? And no, of course we'd celebrate that. Go well, because you're using your mind. I just don't know what the what the beef is with athletes. I mean, I think we pay way too much attention to amateur sports, particular kids. But you know, it's think we got to stop the commercialization exploitition. Guess what, it's already happened. If you're going to do that, then go after the the largely private progial schools. This is not a secret that that those schools will recruit active, recruit kids around the country, move them to the district, put it put you, put the family up in the house, make sure that parents have jobs so the kid can play sports for the school. Happens all the time. It's been happening for years. Why are you going to stop that? No? Just this, what's the difference. It's like, you know, arguing about prostitution in a way, Well, you can't pay someone to have sex with you. Yeah, but if I like pretend they're my girlfriend and I'm the sugar daddy and put them in a department and pay for their tuition, it well, that's a relationship. No, it's not. It's prostitution. I'm giving them material benefit in exchange for in this case sex. You know, we already do this all the time. I just I don't understand why they need to be more active in our lives every day. Like, no one's no one's demanding this. I get it that you have a fear, like, wow, look at us school colleges. Like here's the other thing is you go to school for education, and maybe not so much at college, but that is the primary thing that you do, and especially in high school. And so this is a small part of that, I know, I'd say to me, it's a solution in search of a problem. But all me more testimony on this coming up. I'm sure I did want to get into the Savannah Guthrie thing a little bit. So we have some new data, new data, new information coming up about this. So we are on the fifth day for the search for eighty four year old mother Savannah Guthrie and Nanty Guthrie. Apparently the ransom note is now being circulated. TMZ had it, but also an Arizona TV station had news anchor saw this. The Shari Pololo of Arizona, if you will, sent it to that came through an email to the station. And that's not uncommon, you know, back when you had ransom notes and things like that, that they would include the media. You know, it's typically with like a son of Sam and serial killers, they'd send notices to the media to let them know and here's what's happening, and this is what I'm gonna do next. And this was just concerning in the sense because they weren't sure one hundred percent if it is indeed a legitimate threat, because there are a lot of crackpots out there, and if you're a crackpot and you do these kind of things, and you want to send us stuff, send it directly. Here's the email address. If you're not even you're doing crazy stuff like this, send it to Willie at seven hundred ww dot com. And Nancy got the ransom note. They weren't sure. The anchor, I guess, looked at the said I don't know if this is real or not, but it was clear. After a couple of sentences, she said that it might not be a hoax because a lot of information in the ransom note was someone who's holding her fends would know only know what she was wearing and everything else sensitive information that someone off the street wouldn't and they gave a dollar amount, they gave a deadline and specifics to Nancy Guthrie that the abductor would know when no one else will. So that was a red flag. She forded this to the FBI that it wasn't a prank. There's some legitimacy here. Again, we don't know what the details of this are, if that was indeed the same ransom note, if indeed this exists or not, but that is what's dropped. Yeah, it's pretty disturbing, and so they're asking for money by a certain amount of time, a deadline, and it's got to be done via crypto. I was talking about this yesterday going r answer notes. Get we saw the golden age of this happened in the twenties and thirties, and then they abducted Charles Lindsburg's son and you know, he's dead, and that's when the FBI said, Okay, we're going to make this federal offense. We're going to use the power. And it really shut that whole in because it was huge back of the day, and it surfaced a little bit maybe during the seventies, and you know, like anything, it's cyclical, and now it's coming back because a crypto go ow I can hold somebody hostage and now you can send me untraceable money. But again, you still are committing a federal offense. And you know, your world right now if the person the people or person responsible for this, your world is about the size of a pinhead right now, because you literally have the entire country engrossed in this, all the TV style and other news media, but in particular the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and I think President Trump call sav Anagusta yesterday said, you know, whatever resources you need, you got and so that world is definitely closing in, which makes you think that the people not thinking all that well, So who done it is the question here. Savannah Guthrie and her siblings, Annie and Cameron, her her sister and her brother. She read a very tearful Instagram video yesterday and it's hard to watch because you see how broken she is. But Nancy, her mom, was last seen around nine forty five pm Saturday, after her son in law and this would be Annie, her sister's husband. So her brother in law dropped her off at her home in Tucson, and after that she disappeared because I guess that her mom and the son in law and Annie had dinner together that night and he dropped her off. He's a science teacher, I guess, and dropped her off before safely. And then that was the last day I was so investigation it's going to start with the last person who saw you. We always start with the family. I'm sure Savannah Guthrie has been questioned, even though I'm sure the alibi as well. I was on my way to the Olympics. Pretty good alibi right there, and then you start looking at the family of the people who saw her last and that would have been her family members, which is absolutely chilling anyone. They go, well, yeah, clearly they did it. Well, we don't know that for sure, but man, you start with the last people around you, and I think that they were actually, as I saw, sheriff's deputies and the FBI were going through their home to see what they could find if there's any evidence in there, which is perfectly understandable because you'd start there and go, hey, we're going to get a search wark your last ones to see her. We're going to check and then eventually clear you and you start at the core of the circle and work your way out. Doesn't mean they did it or not, but you know, what's the motive there? Is it financial? What why would you do that if indeed it's your you know, it's your mom and you just saw her. That's a great question. Are there financial issues and the like? And so you know, right now, I'm sure they're getting answers to that and either focusing the search on her daughter and her son in law, or they're world that out and expanded the search. Right now. Anyway, there's I guess at one today the sheriff there will give an update on this whole situation. Horrible fair but new news coming out about that ransom note. And you know, I think, at this stage of the game, how well is this going to turn out? Hopefully she's alive and well and they keep her somewhere to be able to have her if indeed that is the case. One of the most bizarre stories but gripping at the same time, and we'll continue to follow it here. All right. I got to give a shout out to our friends at Dorothy Lane Market. They dropped food off to the station I have not had. I've not had anything from Dorothy Lane Market where I'm like, it's okay, everything is spectacular. I don't know what they do. So they brought by some roast beef tennderloin tray which is fantastic, beautiful, melt in your mouth beef and shrimp tray, a messy tray which is worsted vegetables and stuff, and the girlled veggies were phenomenal, like a grilled zucchini and red pepper were absolutely lovely. Cheese tray from the cheesemongers there a Dorothy Lane Market. So it was absolutely fantastic. Appreciate them dropping off lunch to the show here at Dorothy Lane Market. Of course the original location in Dayton, but the new one is right there in Mason, Mason, Montgomery and Western Rural Road. And you know, I'm trying to think at some point, well I have something there going well that wasn't very good. I've yet to do that and spend a couple months, a couple of months. Now. I may swing by today, because I said I'm fighting off the call. I may stop by and get some more. Last week I got a great They do their in house homemade ramen broth. You'd like to make your own ramen, get the noodles there and everything. Fantastic Again, just the best I would think about it, because they got a lot of space there upstairs where you can you know, you can have food cooked while you shop, or just go there and eat. Couples do that. They've got like a upstairs you go and bring your food. They bring your food up there, and you sit there and have dinner and maybe a shop before or after. I'm thinking about moving in there. Fantastic. Just this is my little spot. Put a tent in the cord. You won't know, you'll never notice you want anyway, dor Thinglane Market, thanks for dropping food off on the show here and we'll talk about them, I'm sure in the future as well. It's fantastic because it feels like a soup day and they got awesome fresh soup too. Slowly on the Home of the Red seven hundred WW since now slowly on seven hundred WLW. I don't have to remind you, with now what almost two full weeks and sub zero temperatures here in this tri state, how hard your furnace is working, and how much money you are spending. I had seen the bility yet, but when it comes, you better be laying down, not just sitting down. And demand has never been greater as a matter of fact, with all demands that we have on our energy supply right now, we're looking at the future of brownouts and maybe blackouts. And the reason driving this, of course is not just our consumption when it's colder, when it's hot for that matter. The bigger ones are like Butler County, Columbus. Right, We've got these data centers going up AI. We have electrification of vehicles twenty percent of all new car sales are either hybrid or the nine percent are just full of evs. Heat pump sales are going up. That's your air conditioning and heating. It's a heat pump now. And six out of ten heating installations here in Ohio are heat pumps. And so we're especially vulnerable things like brownouts because the supply doesn't meet the capacity and demand. So the Buck Guy Institute's tasked with working with the US Department Energy on solutions for this. And Ray Hederman is here once again to discuss Ray.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, Hi, Ben, I'm doing well, Scott, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's the thirty thousand foot view down to earth here. What's really driving this whole thing? But i'd imagine part of this has to do with innovation is the regulatory barriers. Typically with energy, we see a lot of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, let's just recap what's happened. Normally, energy projects take a long time to build out, and energy demand with flat so you're not going to go out and you're not going to build a whole bunch of new power plants if you're not expecting customers then all of a sudden, the last few years you know, artificial intelligence. Everybody has phones, people are looking at Instagram, Facebook, you know, using AI. AI takes about ten times as much how today to get that answer as a Google question ten years ago. So energy demand is skyrocketing, and so now we need those data centers. The problem is scott regulatory regulations have made it so painful to build energy power plants that we're simply not getting electricity online fast enough. And that's where we're going to start seeing power spikes, potential brownouts. We're actually seeing data centers being told no, you can't be built because we don't have enough energy to meet the needs. What we've done at the Buckeye Institute is work with state wallmakers and now we're working with federal regulators to say this is what needs to be happen so we can build the electricity to keep electricity affordable and reliable.
Speaker 1: How I just also has to do with the political whips of Washington, DC. Whereas you had Trump, we're going to do the Keystone XL pipeline. Great, we're going to roll that thing out, and then Biden comes along says no, we're not doing it anymore, and trust back in office. While we're going to start doing it again.
Speaker 5: Well, you know you've seen that. You've seen like the Trump administration saying, hey, we're going to close intermittent energy. You've had Democrats saying we're going to phase out coal plants. I mean the last year that Biden administration, they said we're going to eliminate basically make it almost impossible for coal and natural gas plants to operate. That's why you know pjm Our energy grid that Ohio shares with a lot of other Blue states on the Atlantic Ocean. Dave Yost of many other states sued the federal government, saying, you can't do this because if you're turning off coal plants or twilling off solar plants, where's our electricity going to come from? That's dependable. I mean, if you look outside Ohio, right here in central Ohio, it's not an uncommon day, right, it's great, the sun doesn't shine as much. Solar is great for some states, it's not ideal for the state of Ohio and scott The other thing that's happened is you've had a lot of other states that have made a big deal, like New Jersey again, we share the energy grew with New Jersey, they destroyed their coal plants, that destroyed natural gas, and they based it all on optional wind and intermittent injury sources. But those simply don't have the same reliability or produce the same amount of base load power, and so now do New Jersey. A lot of other states have found themselves in an energy crisis and are scrambling to meet the growing demand.
Speaker 1: Ray if you travel through well the central part of the state where you are, but up north a little bit, or to drive Indianapolis to Chicago, you see a ton of wind farms, a lot of turbines out there. But as good as that, as fine as this, how much of energy productions? That represent what percent?
Speaker 3: I thought them?
Speaker 5: Five percent? In the state of Ohio. Look, we get most of our stuff from natural gas. Historically, Ohio has been a coal heavy steak. Coal produced the majority of Ohio's electricity into the last ten years, when natural gas, you know, you being able to tap into the shell crescent, has taken the place. So we get most of our energy from natural gas, coal, nuclear, and then it falls down the solar and winds. And again, you know that's true for a lot of states, particularly on those of US east of the Mississippi. You know, we get a lot from natural gas nuclear And what we're seeing right now again is, you know, because of the spike, people are scrambling to get power online. You know, a Microsoft, for example, has investing hundreds of millions of dollars three open three Mile Island nuclear power plant. That tells you what businesses are looking at when they see the demand for future energy production and what they need to do. And really what needs to happen is Washington needs to say, Okay, why are we not seeing power plants come online? We see prices are increasing. You open up your electricity bill, you know, you know when it's time to rebid, you're going to be higher electricity prices. So why aren't we seeing more production being built? And part of it comes back to those regulatory barriers, you know, the blocks that are at the local level, state level, federal level lawsuits for environmental review those have all created a massive chp point that means that we're really facing a deficit and electricity production that is choking out the growing economy.
Speaker 1: I mean you mentioned the environmental reviews. How much has that bogged the process down?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you take a look at the so many album and what you're seeing is NI the environmental review that, by the way, people on both the left and right a saying, hey, this is not meant to be a weapon to slow things down. We've seen that being able to slow those productions down for years. That's the National Environmental Policy Act about four and a half years slowing down from the review connections. And so you know what happens, Scott is the way regulations work is they move into sequence.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like almost a train, right, you know, one car starts moving, the next car, the next car, the next car. So if you take you know, a year at the local level, a year at the state level, a year at the federal level, you're taking four and a half years or some environmental reviews. You know, you could sit there and be taking you six plus years for some big power plants to be built. And we've seen action take at the state level, you know, with Housepool fifteen, Ohio is saying, look, we need to speed this up. We need to make sure that regulators have only a certain amount of time to review so they can't de ladies in those projects. And we'd like to see the same thing done at the federal level, because I mean, at least we can still build things here in Ohio. Other states that have more state regulations, like California New Jersey, for example, they can't build anything because people were able to block production using these rules, using lawsuits, which means electricity rices are going to remain high.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Ray Hederman's here Buckeye Institute working with the US Department of Energy and Solutions to fast track improving our infrastructure and power supply because we are near at peak demand and you know, with the winter months here too, we also have data centers and the light going online. The demand for electricity is greater than ever, and yet the infrastructure is way behind. We've often talked about brownouts and blackouts that have happened at West and those it's and it's you know, I don't know how close we are, but they say, certainly the Midwest Ray is very vulnerable to this because of those data centers are going online at record numbers. These are like small towns, and I think most people don't understand just how much energy one of these data centers requires.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, you know. It's basically you sit there and say, look, you know one of these data centers can consume more energy than the Manhattan right in New York City, and so that just kind of called everybody by surprise, and so they're saying what can be done. Well, you know, one of the things that we again that Houspill fifteen did that I'm a big fan of, is what we call behind the meter and what that means is if you're building a data center, you can actually build your own power plants, you know, to directly power your business. You can fast track that through the regulatory process and be able to power your own business. And that's kind of what we want to see the market working. We've seen some of those basically power plants be approved. One was approved just before Thanksgiving. I think those type of solutions right where businesses working together, maybe they're going to share a power plant with another business, those are the type of solutions that are going to get us out of this crisis and help us move ahead because relying on the way we've been doing things simply doesn't work. Scott, to give you an idea, just very quickly, there are one hundred and ninety seven thousands power requests to PGM Ohio's grid. One hundred and ninety seven thousand by somebody who wants to generate power to connect to the PGM RIP. The PKAM simply doesn't have enough personnel to get through them. And part of the problem is, you know, these are everything from five megawatts solar and whim smaller production plants, but that takes the same amount of power has a two hundred and fifty megawatt natural gas plant. So you know, we have a lot of requests that are going online. People are gaining the system, flogging it up, and so we just need a way to cut through prioritize better which power plants are going to deliver reliable energy, to keep prices load for consumers, to keep light time for businesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes a lot of sense if you've private interests. Hey, you know what, we'll build our own infrastructure here. The hell with you guys. What kind of power plants are seeing going online?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sure, so right now, we've seen a lot of natural gas here in Ohio work and moving forward on that, you've also seen some renewable behind the meter as well. You know, I mean people sometimes will drive by you might see a big windmill at a car dealership, for example. You know, trying to produce power on site to deliver to those businesses. Other states are starting to see experiments with a small nuclear power plants again. You know, I mentioned Microsoft, for example, investing in reopening Three Mile Island for the benefit of Microsoft by themselves. Other companies are also contracting to build a smaller nuclear power plants, using hydro, using geothermal energy. You know, there's a lot of ways to be able to get electricity in businesses or reacting the way you'd expect them to do. What makes the most sense, what's most cost competitive, and where my business is located. And so that's what the beauty of what we see kind of free enterprise working out is coming up with solutions and trying not to burden rate payers. You know, that's what we want to make sure is that we have affordable energy and businesses aren't taking advantage of payers and hopefully not you know, seeking out special tax breaks. It would be great to roll back some tax incentives handout to big industry, big utilities, big tech along the way to make sure taxes are low, energy prices are kept affordable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Ray, it makes a lot of sense. And I'm a big proponent of these small nuclear plants, and I think, you know, once again, it's a great example of how private industry will lead the way and solve the problems that government can't. For those who believe in government solving all problems, well there you go. There they're actually standing in the way. Are there going to be some trials, tribulations, heartbreaks, accidents, etcetera. Sure that there always is when it comes to technology, sadly, but that's part of the learning and growing experience as long as those responsible are held to a standard. That said, though, I think this is the advent of new power generation, and I think about you know, some of the like Microsoft at reopening through Mile Island, or smaller like suitcase type of nuke facilities or machines that produce enough energy to fire a plant. But it also has hoped to typical Americans. I mean, imagine the day where and I don't know if it will be in our lifetime, but imagine that the technology gets so good you just buy one of these power units on Amazon, they ship it to you, You PLoP it in like a battery, and it lasts probably longer than you're alive, and then you know, it goes back to the recycling center and what they do with they spent Phil Rodds is yet to be determined, but nonetheless it seems like neighborhoods Hoa's small towns will have their own many nuclear plant to power, or we may just have one in our own house in fifty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Scott, that's exactly right. I mean you're looking at the space talking to people involved in these businesses, both from producers and high energy consumers. There's a lot of innovation that's going on through private enterprise people saying, hey, you know what, let's try to use geothermal right out west where it makes her sense. You know, given the geology out there. You know they're actually experimenting rolling down to the Earth's cross being able to tie up out some of that geothermal energy. That's a great solution for some of those companies, you know, small neuclear reactors. You are seeing more businesses pulling together and basically forming micro grids, you know, behind the meter. That a way to say, hey, let's go on our own power sources so we don't have to wait a couple of years to go through the PJA on regulations. That's the type of innovation I think that has really made this country great. That's why I'm really optimistic about the future, because we know what the need is, we know the demands there, businesses know what they need to do to power themselves, and we have a solution for the future. You know, we can sit there, work together, innovate, development these things, and really keep America moving forward. And I look at the opposite end of the spectrum right again. I looked to Europe where a few years ago, you know, they came out and said, we can't compete with the United States because our electricity prices so unaffordable. You know, German manufacturing has fallen off a clock because electricity is so important to the manufacturing sector. Europe made terrible policy choices by trying to regulate this market. I am thankful that here in Ohio, you know, we're making different choices, moving to remove regulations on businesses, to encourage innovation, to encourage investment, to try to boost energy so to keep prices lower.
Speaker 1: Well, but in Ohio even will the bureaucracy and will the status quo machine keep this from moving forward?
Speaker 5: I you know, Scott, I'm optimistic, I think because we're already seeing this working again. You know, we've seen a couple of billion dollars behind the meter projects already move forward, right, So these private businesses are putting their money where their hopes are. That's what I'm looking at.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 5: The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio is approving some of these projects are all going to be private behind the meter to power some of the data centers, the powers from these manufacturing plants. I think Ohio is building a model that should be emulated copied by other states. You know, we're able to take advantage of it, and if federal regulators can move faster, that'll be better for us as well. But HB fifteen, I think is a really good piece of legislation that is encouraging a lot of private enterprise. And again, you know, reading from the news reports, reading the filings before the Public Utilities Commission, there's billions of dollars of private investment that's taking place right now thanks to HP fifteen, allowing businesses to power up more quickly.
Speaker 1: All right. He's ray headed been to the Buckeye Institute working with the Department of Energy on solutions to solve our power crisis. And it's looming. It really is. Imagine a day, like, for example, Class of twenty twenty five, Ray, you show them a picture of a flat circular thing with a hole in the middle. It's kind of translucent, and they don't know what that. It's called a compact disc Imagine Class of twenty one twenty five when you show them the picture of a utility poll with all those wires out, and they go, what the hell is that? Hopefully that, hopefully that's what the future is here in the Buckeye day all the best, buddy, Thanks.
Speaker 5: Again, Thanks a lot, Scott, always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: We have a little more weather moving in. We'll find out which way it's going to break. Although it's a little early, could be snow, could just be wet and melty. Hopefully it's the latter. Sanjay is next, Doctor Sanjay Shavacrimani, our health, food and fitness guy, the medical truth that you need to know about testosterone. Do you need more? Do you need less? Do you need supplement? What do you need? We'll figure it out together. Next. Scottsland continues afternoons on seven hundred WW two.
Speaker 7: Scott won't show back on.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred when everything is saying, at this time we have our buddy on doctor shav Cremani, who is an eer physician at Dinewell Dock. It's where health, food and fitness all come together. And now more than ever, we need questions answered in a very scientific, empirical way, because no one's more of a scientist than Sanja. You are come off as as scient that's me.
Speaker 6: I just left my microscope and cells to join the show, and I'll get.
Speaker 1: Right back to it, right right. Solls like he's got Petri dishes in his pockets. I don't know what's going on here, all right? So today this is interesting because you hear a lot about the testosterone replacement testosterone therapy for men, especially as you get over forty. You know, we've all seen the ads or heard the ads, as the case may be, and it's kind of like, well, people are like do I really need it? And you know, the more you hear something like the ads on TV for these medicines and drugs that we don't know what they do, but there's they seem very happy dancing around some farmer's market and singing about whatever it is that they're doing. And then you hear like, well if my favorite thing with those ads by the way and you know me, I've got off on the tangent. Always go, well, don't take it if you're allergic to this drug? How the hell? This is the most wife thing. Ever, how do I know I'm allergic to the drug unless I take the drug? Can you answer that question?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's more of like a good luck out there. We have to say this because we do. But that's about it. We'll take it if you don't like it.
Speaker 1: What how what am I goingning? Well, that's on you, that's not on us the waiver, but in that regard to you here and you go, man, maybe I do need that? I do I know? Do I have no test? Joshture?
Speaker 5: Do I have?
Speaker 1: You know? I am tired, and I am sometimes I'm thirsty and I get hungry like three times a day. Maybe I do have this? Well everybody does. So how do I know if I need it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it's a great question because it is out there, and I feel like the ads are definitely increasing, or if not, sure have increased, and so it's hard to kind of work through. I'll tell you that when things started coming out, I was like, no, like this is this a scam? And then actually in the emergency department. I saw a few young men with blood clots in their legs and lungs, and their only risk factor, I mean they were in their thirties and twenties. Their only risk factor was being on recent testosterone supplementation, and so I got scared about it. It's almost like the GLP ones, you know, like when the first changes started coming and the initial dosing was happening and people were still figuring it out. I saw a lot of a lot of patients with g I upset with g LP ones, but we figured it out more and now it's unacceptable and testosterone's kind of gone the same way. So is it helpful? Yes, asterisk because that asterisk is for certain.
Speaker 1: People, Okay, and that's good. And you know again, that is why I'm never the first one. I don't care if it's a movie, I don't care what I new iPhone. I'm not first in line to buy because there's always a problem. Yeah I'm good. I don't need to be Oh, look what I got the brand new It's like, yeah, I'm not that guy, because I want you to buy it and then go wow, this sucks. And then and then a couple of months, I buy the one the way they fix it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, someone else should volunteer his tribute. Correct, I'm not doing that. We need those people in the where to go, you go first. Yeah, we appreciate this people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm that way for volunteering wars any of the stuff. Yeah, I'll be right behind you all the way. I'm the back of class kind of guy. All right, So you hear that and go well. And the other thing, it's that replacement, right, So naturally your body as you get over men, you see a decline in testosterone. That's perfectly natural. If that's nature's way, God's way, if you will, why do we need a why do we need to bring those levels back up?
Speaker 6: So and that's a great question because what happens is that the testosterone levels do drop, and it's about one percent every year, so it's not a lot, but it's enough for testosterone replacement companies to kind of market you know your Yes, your testosterone does decrease. And in fact, about forty five so almost half of men over the age of forty will have technically low testosterone levels. The thing is is that only five to six percent of men actually have symptoms with that got it, and those are the ones that should be you know, having the replacement right. And so while it's marketed and you can just look at a number and say, oh my gosh, I need this supplementation, I need this replacement, it is definitely not for everybody, and that's not what the current guidelines say. Not everyone needs it. Even if your numbers are low, you need numbers and symptoms to require.
Speaker 1: Supplements, and the symptoms are again, so a lot of it.
Speaker 6: Has to do. I mean, we think testosterone, we think, you know, do you have a libido? But also just general energy, how well your brain is working, so mental clarity. And then we get to the body structure. So what does testosterone do well, It builds muscle and burns fat, and it builds bone and so weak bones, a lot more visceral fats the one around your gut and then less protein so I mean sorry, less muscle. So if you're experiencing that in the setting of low numbers, then those are reasons to potentially seek out, you know, replacement.
Speaker 1: Do you see that change even as you get older to them mean, there's probably more gains if you're closer to forty, but if you're closer to sixty.
Speaker 6: Yes, over time, we know that fat goes up, muscle goes down. There are things we can do about it. And it's not purely testosterone that drives that. You know, there are a lot of other hormones that are in balance that will control those things, testosterone being a main one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Sanjay. The other element of this too is okay, can I can I do too much? I mean, if my test testosterone levels are within the normal range and I go, well, I'm gonna do it anyway, what's the danger?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the main thing that we've considered is that it increases your blood count. So testosterone increases the number of red cells in your blood. So if you imagine, uh, you know, your blood flowing through your body, if you have more crud in it, you know, the red blood cells, it may go slower and it can actually form blood clots because things are moving slower. It's kind of like dunking up your pipes. I know, you know home improvement better than I do.
Speaker 1: My pipes are gunky already, I'm ready to add to that. So well, it'll increase your red blood cell count, which of course up coagulation and that you wind up bas essentially strokes and things like that.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, you get more sludgy blood, which makes the concern for strokes and heart attacks. So in the literature it had been shown again asterisk, it had been shown that there were increased risks of heart attacks and men on testosterone. In twenty twenty five, there was a better study done that said that risk does not seem to be there for appropriate patients. So again, man over forty with low levels and symptoms, if your levels are less than three hundred, by all means, do the testosterone therapy and you should not face a higher.
Speaker 1: Risk of cart attack. And I saw and not to bring this thing down, but it was a story. Yester, jeffy Epstein had like super low, like fifteen normals three hundred fifteen. So that's someone who's it's indicated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe do a little case study on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly, I mean, who knows what's driving him. I was about to say, never heard of the guy? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that guy. But good it's but you hear that. Okay, that's clearly but how many how many people is that really? I mean you said three percent of the population.
Speaker 6: About five to six percent of people that have low numbers and have symptoms, and so yeah, there's a good chance he had that and maybe he required the supplementation. The interesting thing about numbers as as a slight aside is you want that number to be checked between seven and ten AM, so early morning time. So if you go into clinic and you know at six pm your testosterol levels are are low, they're kind of at the lower point of the day. And so if you get it measured and someone says, oh, look, your testosterone levels are low, be careful about that. Ok have your levels checked in the morning. Why is this has to be checked twice? It's the highest then, and so you can get a falsely low result if you get it checked at next other time.
Speaker 1: Okay, got a doctor Sanjay shavkromised doc er doc. And also we talk about health and food and fitness on Thursday March with this do you need testosterone supplementation? And now you know these are just the facts too, So do with the information with you will, because if you're wondering about it, go ah, you know here, maybe I need this because I could lose some wight. I mean it sounds great, right, I lose waight loose fat, put on muscle, bone densited helps with that. I'm alert. It's like, yes, it's a miracle drug. It's a miracle drug. It's a drug.
Speaker 6: It's being sold as that, you know, and that's what the commercials are about. And the low tee thing is real, but for less men than is kind of suggested, and so we do have to be careful with that, but there are appropriate patients for that. However, the availability of the testosterone replacement is a lot and so you know they're online brands, they're in person. But most important is having accurate checks. So make sure the places are checking your blood work and then checking it frequently afterwards to make sure your blood count isn't going too high and not over shooting. So again, low testosterone is less than three hundred, what you're shooting for is four hundred to seven hundred if you're on replacement. If places are suggesting you should be at nine hundred to twelve hundred, be careful, okay, and those are the ones that might be over selling you.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: You mentioned about cardiovascular risk too and still being studied, but there's concerning data out there. My concern when I first came out. This is years ago. I said, Man, are's reason your body starts producing less testosterone over the years, A tablet with a whole bunch of things. But I also think could I develop cancer because the test as I mean, things are growing, But cancers would be fed by that too, correct, that's a concern.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the main one is not necessarily developing cancer. But if you're at risk for prostate cancer or have prostate cancer, that's the main one we think about. And so that's the that's the one. If you have any concerns of a rising p s A level in your blood, or there's been suggestion that you do have early prostate cancer, you want to probably not take testosterone supplementation.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard this makes sleep apnel worse, etc. That is true.
Speaker 6: And the the interesting part about that is that better sleep raises your testosterone naturally, and so yeah, it's testosterone does make sleep apnea worse, which is a kind of feedback in itself.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like getting worse because that just makes that grow.
Speaker 5: Is that.
Speaker 1: Fascinating that it does?
Speaker 6: It does suggest that, Yeah, but there are other things, you know, speaking of better sleep, there's the thing to drive your own testosterone because you know, if you have a low testosteron, say in the two hundreds to three hundreds, there are things you can do naturally to increase it that don't necessarily require supplementation or replacement. Stuff like strength training, better sleep, less stress, losing weight, all of those things that we've talked about on this show, all the things that hard stuff, your general stuff, the hard stuff.
Speaker 1: But I can just take a shot. I don't have to do that.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, staying silent on that one testosterone eat. I could eat four pizzas a day if I wanted to. Yeah, I mean, you know it is. It is tempting, It totally is. But you know you're on a GLP one, You're probably gonna be thinking about one bite of pizza. But yeah, the same thing goes for testosterone. So you know, make sure that your lifestyle you've made the lifestyle changes that you need to as well. Again, strength training is one of the best things for this. You can increase your testosterone naturally that way. Even excess alcohol will make you your test asterone lower, So decreasing your alcohol intake, losing your visceral fats, and doing what you can to lose weight and whatever way it can, because fat actually changes it converts testosterone to estrogen, and so you you decrease your testosteron stores that way, and so losing.
Speaker 1: Fat can be a big benefit. Man boobs moves Yep, right, mops, I got it. I also here, you know there's a well, this is an over the counter supplement. You know, the supplement industry is huge and it's not regulated, and so you can sell whatever you want and pill form bottle forms. Take this and you'll be you know, I feel like you're ten years old again. And what about that stuff? Does it? You don't need proprietary supplements like that. But are are there otcs or vitamins you should be taking to help you maximize your testosterone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So the supplements is it's a murky area, mainly because it's not well regulated. Do some of those work? Yes, but studies have shown that it's about a quarter of them that will raise your testosterone. And I don't know which ones those are because I usually stay away from those in general, but ten percent of them have actually been shown to decrease your testosterone. So be very careful if you're trying to do that stuff as your only way you mentioned you know other supplements. Yeah, you know, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, those are all good things to have in your body. Not certainly not to overdose on, but just make sure you're having good nutrition and you know, supplementing those as needed and you're in a better place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We we were talking before we started here, Sanjay about vitamin D and you know, I've been on that forever. You said, you know, you're taking five thousand a day, and it's just the more we learn about vitamin D, it's really a critical, critical supplement.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, we talk about vitamin D being a vitamin, but it's it's thought more to be a hormone. So it is a messenger in our body that works in a ton of organs and works very much like you know, not exactly like testosterone, but it's a hormone like like testosterone and estrogen and all those others in the way it functions in the way our body really needs it. Which also reminds me there's there's one other risk of of I mean sorry, testosterone replacement, which is decreasing fertility. Now, so that that kind of goes backwards, right, So your libido's high, but your fertility is low with more testosterone, and so if you're being if you're having supplementation, your counts or your overall fertility will go down, but usually off almost always. That is a reversible thing, so your fertility will come back. But if you're trying to you know, if you're trying to start a family, testosterone replacement may not be the right thing for you.
Speaker 1: But most guys you're trying to avoid family. So this is like another reason to take male birth control exactly. Like wait, it does time in there's a spike of tests. Don't tell your significant I'll tell your wife. It's like, I don't know what's going on. We just kind of keep trying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's and by the way, can you give me this injection real quick?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many times a week? Is that once a week?
Speaker 6: So for injections, typically it's once a week. They also have topical And if you're wondering where that goes, it is not where you just imagined. It is usually in the arms. You don't want to put testosterone where the testosterone is created. I see, yes, you think it's faster that way, right, I might imagine, But now it's usually in the arms and that's a daily thing. And I think they just released an oral formulation of this stuff which would be daily as well.
Speaker 1: The efficacy had it made it for the injectible is better than the oral for the topical. Yeah, yeah, exlightly usually okay, So but if you're reverse to needles and who wants to shoot themselves with a needle? There are options here, you go. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are other options for this as well, really interesting stuff. So you know, again it's it's buyer beware. It's it's having the information and then making a decision based on what you heard the facts, as opposed to you know, going to you know and everyone else's And I keep hearing about all these guys maybe I need that, and you talk yourself into it. But now you kind of know. But you could get the test and find out what your testosterone level.
Speaker 6: Yeah and small, I mean minor story. I had mind checked. I was in the three fifty range, so I guess I was slightly low. And you know, the doctor I met with and shout out to metamorph Sean Ryan who sat down with me. He you know, we had a very good discussion about it, and he's like, look, there are other things you can do like how's your diet, how's your lifestyle? And that's the important conversation. So be careful if you're you're doing just online without consulting with the physician and without thinking about your other options and weighing those.
Speaker 1: Finally, you no cost to this, that is that I don't okay, And it probably varies too depending where you go. And you know, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: Think it's totally expensive. I don't think we're talking GLP one prices.
Speaker 1: Right right right less than that. But and if some do you have to be on it forever, then at that point do you there is a suggestion.
Speaker 6: For most people like if if you're symptomatic with very low testosterol level and you have quote hypo gonatism, so you're you're going to just produce less testoster I caught that, Yeah, rock on. So yeah, if you may have to be on it for life. But other times there are some people that may have a temporary decrease in their testo. Again, stress will do it. You know, if you cut the alcohol out, maybe you can come off of it. But'll most people need to be honest.
Speaker 1: So but but if you go off it, do you just turn into a beach ball again. I mean, does it like GLP ones. Once you're on it, you gotta be on it forever. It's not immediate.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's hardy to put that on and it just works in a different way. And so we're talking about, you know, just slightly increasing your levels as opposed to the massive changes we're seeing with GLP ones.
Speaker 1: Got it. He is our resident doctor physician edie doctor, doctor Sanjay Schevacrimani. He's also at dine well Doc. That's his handle, health, food, fitness and Medicine. Thanks for popping in, and again, I just love the I love to get the information out, the facts out first before you proceed. So if that's you and you're thinking about, you're on the fence and now you know and you can ask good questions when you go and get your test. Asterone check now. Thanks beevis appreciate, he said, go ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, seven hundred WLW. It's got flowing back on seven hundred double lots of cutter again today. Man, there's who shortage to do is the last forty eight hours, that's for sure. But we had this story come out. Cincinnati's Curfew Center has been open. What eighteen months now and it costs us like almost four hundred thousand dollars operate. Okay, Curfew Center. We get these kids that get jammed up there on after hours, causing problems, big groups. We pick them up, We put them in a temporary holding facility for those that break care fore you especially Friday Saturday nights, and they can't immediately be turned to return home for whatever reason, and then they call the parents and guardians to come get your kid. Okay, great, three hundred eighty thousand dollars, This is awesome. This is going to help solve that juvenile linguency issue. Only problem is they have been exactly four I said four four, not four hundred, not four thousand, four between three and five kids that have been held in the last year and a half at three hundred and eighty thousand dollars, which is like one hundred k per kid. The math doesn't math. She is a council member. Anna, I'll be back on the show on seven hundred WW and I'll make a deal with you. I'll take one of these kids and watch them till their parents can pick them up for only seventy five thousand dollars. How about that I'm saving you money.
Speaker 7: Well, I appreciate the opportunity to talk about this gap, so thank you. I will do a quick FactCheck. It hasn't been fully eighteen months since we kind of implemented a special curfew district downtown and make sure we had these curfee centers up and running. Understand the case to be made. I think what's really important to be clear is going into the process of whether or not to update our curfew policy, which included both you know, making the time at night more standard across the city. That was a big piece of it. The previous curfew ordinance had stagger times based on age, and it's like, how are you supposed to be able to tell from a distance of sixteen year old from a seventeen year old? Right, Like, it was just it was hard to enforce. So the first piece of that curfew was saying, okay, city wide we have eleven PM. And then the second piece of it was the Downtown Business District Special Curfew Center where we have the nine pm curfew, And that's really where we wanted to make sure we had the support of the curfew centers because something that was important to me into my colleagues, is implementing the curfew was not not an effort to criminalize kids in any way. We want kids to be in a safe spot. So those were really intentional conversations I know I had with the administration and with my colleagues as we went into this process about Okay, what happens if there is a kid out after curfew? How are we making sure we get that person that kid home to a safe place?
Speaker 1: Right? And that's the intent here. But I look at this and go wow, four and you said, okay, not quite eighteen months. But let's face it, how many kids are loitering at one o'clock in the morning. Wh's thirty five thousand degrees below zero. So I'm going to guess probably not going to pick many more kids up, at least until the spring starts, the warm weather starts and they congregating groups. Is this an issue of enforcement or is an issue of simply deterrence? I know Interim Chief Henny brought that up, suggested at the meeting that this is working as a deterrent. But if that's the case, do you need to spend three hundred and eighty thousand dollars to.
Speaker 3: Deter I think that's a great question.
Speaker 7: And this was the first year we had this approach for the curfew center and having a special district, So I definitely see this year as a learning opportunity. In fact, at the end of August, I went on a ride along with CPD in OTR from six pm to midnight. I could not make it past midnight. I had to be up and functioning the next morning. But during that period we did come in contact with some kids. I don't know their exact ages, maybe looks ten to twelve years old. And you know, I got to watch the officer interacting with those kids and basically saying, hey, you got to go home, and you know, we watched them walk away, hopefully towards home, and that that was the intent, right, going into this, being really intentional about the conversation. So the officer's process and this is you're going to first, you know, ask them to go home home, tell them to go home, and demand and it's not till that third demand interaction where that would activate the curfew center.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: So I'll be honest, like there is a version of this where hey, just the threat of the curfew was enough to keep kids at home, right, and that was enough, or our officers are having doing a really great job with these interactions and the kids are listening. You know, that's something hard to know any given moments. I think again, at the end of the day, the ultimate goal was let's make sure our kids are safe and off the streets when it's late at night, so they are not victims of crime or committing crimes. And to me, this for kids at their curfew center shows that was successful.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, Yeah, it's hard to tell at this point if it's a deterrent or we're just not And I think the other element from cops is okay, hold on, Typically it's going to be a group of adolescents. They always congregating groups right doing God knows what they're doing. They see the police, they scatter, everybody runs in a different direction. Now you've got a cop by themselves in a unit. I want to get in a foot pursuit with a whether sixteen or with a ten or twelve year old, and I'm carrying sixty pounds of equipment and a lot of things can go wrong, and you know what if it maybe they just scare them away and they're not pursuing that that technically that's a deterrent. But I could imagine with all the stuff that our officers who are overwhelmed with the amount of things they have to do, are going to get in a foot pursuit over over a curfew violation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we did not want pursuits, right, That was not the intensiveness. We really do focus intinsati on having those positive relationship with our officers who are out in the community with community members.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So we do want our officers to have some trust with kids when they come up and say, hey, hey, time to go home. That's to be a positive professional interaction, right. We're not We're literally not trying to take kids down.
Speaker 3: The streets from alism, right.
Speaker 7: So you know, the Curfew Center to me is really that insurance policy for us that if there is a situation which, like you said, there are four of them, where we have that interaction with the kid and we can't get a hold of their caretaker, we have a safe place for them to be where we're still working to get ahold of their whoever, if it's a parents, aunts, grandmother or whatever caretaker, we have them in a safe space out of the cold weather. If it's winter time, or where they can get snacks, and that's the insurance policy. So you know, you look at this contract and yeah, it had to be a year long because we never we didn't know going into this how often would we be using it right like maybe Monday night it's NERO and Friday nights it's twenty We had no idea. So again, this to me is the kind of the first out, first time out testing this approach. I think, you know, we have learnings, but I think overall, you know, success there and having those Curfew centers.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's council member and I'll be on the Scottsland Show on seven hundred wwdews that the Curfew Center costs three hundred and eighty thousand dollars almost four hundred thousand dollars to operate the physical year. It's been open for close to almost eighteen months, and in that time we've had four kids have been put in the center, So that's a cost of about one hundred thousand dollars per kid. And I think everyone listening looks at that and goes, wow, that's yeah, that's not a good investment of money, even if it is to turing kids. When is the contract up By the way.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't have the exact dates. I know our initial one was a year, so whatever that execution date is, so I think it will get us through this upcoming summer. I just don't know the exact all right.
Speaker 1: So here's a valid question. Let's say we signed over through the summer. We were committed to the contract, no doubt about it. So I think it may be August for some reason. That's shipping in my mind, but we'll go through it. Let's say that there's really no sizeable uptick in the number of kids who are being held at the curfew center, why can't we simply end that contract? And if it's only four kids, can't we just have them at a police substation or at the juvenile justice center. I mean, why do we have to have a separate curfew center?
Speaker 7: Great question. So there was a lot of conversation of what should the curfew center be? Right, and so part of the contract and the cost is the staff. Right, you have to have someone there, right, We're not dropping people off in an empty building up and walking away. And we want our officers to be back on duty, right. We don't want the officer having to watch over and be taken off of their control for the night. So some of that cost is that the staffing piece of it. And we had conversations, right it should should it be, you know, a rec center, and I say no, we want rec centers to be this positive space for kids. We don't want them to have negative connotations with it. And the reason why the jail twenty twenty wasn't available was because this is not a criminal charge that would keep a kid over night, you know, And that was something I had to do some digging on. I'm not a lawyer, so please everyone, I did not go to law school, but I asked. I tried to ask a lot of questions, but essentially, you know, this is not a curfew violation, is not something that would a youth would be booked for at the jail, So that would not have given us the space to kind of spend the time there trying to contact the caretakers.
Speaker 1: Okay, can't we just hold them without booking, without processing? I mean they're waiting areas in full view of law enforcement officers. I'm sure maybe there's an anti room or something like that you could use. I mean, you don't have to process this. People yeah, we have. Probably not everyone who comes to those doors are booked. There's plenty of people in there who aren't, and you know, things like property and everything else. I mean, can't we just say, hey, instead of being processed, we're going to put you in the side room next to the Sally boarder wherever they can keep an eye on you until your parents come.
Speaker 7: I don't control the jails or the Timpsons Center, So I don't want to say something here that's actually not get it right. But I do want to go back and emphasize, you know, Seven Hills Neighborhoods House in Life House are really trusted community partners that have staff that are specialized in Tomlin formed care and interacting with kids. So that was also part of it. How do we have the right staff around any kid who you know is caught up in this process that making sure that we're giving them resources and that staff that was trained to also be able to check with the kid on Hey, what other needs do you have? Like do you have stable? Is there is there someone who you can go home to? Because that was also concerned, what if we have a youth who's outlet, who's hold us? What do you do right, So we wanted to make sure we have that expert staff. So again it's beyond just the holding place, and it's also those wrap around services and support we are also providing to them through these experts that we have at seven Hills in the well.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate that it's seven Hills and all that, but at the same time, I mean, social workers are available twenty four to seven. Why can't you just have the social worker meet them at the General Justice Center or wherever they are holding this kid as opposed to having to have a separate facility. And we're paying four hundred thousand dollars for.
Speaker 7: And you know what, I don't know what the cost of having that kind of social worker on calls. You'd have to negotiate special contract for that either.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So these are all questions that others looked into, and this felt like the best way to start out in the process. Again, we had no idea how many kids sure, right, because if you can remember a wild though, there were videos of like tons of kids down yeah, right, what if we had that situation and we needed a whole big space.
Speaker 5: So we just didn't know.
Speaker 7: And so I'm really excited and grateful that the administration took such a thoughtful approach and that we really thought through all these different scenarios and how do we make sure we keep kids safe. Because I'll be honest, I was hesitant personally to vote on this curfew enforcement because I did not want increased criminalization of our youth, nor did I want increased negative interactions between officers and kids. So being able to have this really thoughtful approach I think was really important to making sure everyone in this process is safe.
Speaker 1: Well, I disagree somewhat on that too, is it's not necessarily a high level criminal activity. But you know, being out of Africa, the fact that we have to set curfews because you know, kids are there's some kids that are out having fun and their parents are taking it very seriously. You have people who are working multiple jobs. It simply can't be around all the time with their kids. That's unfortunate. And then you have kids that are essentially fearal that the parents don't care about them, and all of those mean problems for our community, for police and like. And we don't want to vilify kids or try to get them help. I understand that, but you know, I think most people would look at us and go, wow, it's the kid gloves and the touchy feelings are good. But it's three hundred and eighty thousand dollars for four kids. Anna, you can't justify their cost.
Speaker 7: This was the first year. Like I said, Pilot, I think there are updates we can make and this will be a conversation.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: The report out this week was of the first time we've gotten all this information in one place and been able to really.
Speaker 3: Dig into the detail.
Speaker 7: So I personally excited to have that conversation of Okay, what does this look like going forward to your point you made earlier. It's really cool outside right now, right, so maybe this isn't a year long contract. If we know that people aren't going to be out when it's negative two degrees, you know, in the middle of winter, so you know, maybe there are some adjustments to be made. It really makes this effective and efficient. And you know, if it's only for kids and we're in we get in contact with their caretakers within the I think it's two or three hours. We're legally allowed to have kids kind of in our custody for well, okay, maybe that means the lighthouse piece was a good good thing to have, but maybe we don't need that going forward. These are all questions I think we can look at now that we have done this for a while. And frankly, I think this upcoming summer will be another good test because we didn't have this curfew in place at the beginning of last summer, So I don't know this might be different come May June July because we didn't have this in place last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's reasonable though, I totally understand what were sentient. I agree. It's like, hey, we did suddenly put this curfew center together because of the juvenile delinquency problem, but we only had four kids there, and you know, saying well, we shouldn't have done it, That's just stupid for anyone to say that or believe that. I don't think that's sure. You go, well, okay, we learned from this, but moving forward, how do we balance the cause that three hundred and eighty grand that's going to pay for a few cops on the streets. For sure, our cameras, and I know you want more cameras in places where kids congregate.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, to be clear, you know, there's never enough resources for all the things we want to do. So we have to look at these things and be smart and critical of how we're investment money. So I think everyone on council will agree with that. And this is an area you heard council member Jeffreyes bringing up. He and I were kind of chit chatting too about it on the side, right, this is something we're going to look at and I think first year where we have our learnings and we can improve for next time. We didn't get it perfect, but I think we over rotated on making sure that we were compassionate and had this insurance policy in place. And I would rather have that than if something had gone really terribly wrong. Right, So I would rather always air on the side of compassion when it was something dealing with our kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go with the information you have and now, well we'll have a good sample size that time the contract is up to figure out if we want to continue this. I think that's completely reasonable. Right. The other element here too I mentioned this is that you know, three hundred and eighty thousand dollars buy a lot more cameras. I know that's something you want to get moving forward and add more work. Basically where kids congregate, let's have more camra and you know, the digital surveillance to me seems to pay much more dividends than maybe something like this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I do have emotion coming up where I'm asking the administration to basically audit where we have playgrounds, parks, rec centers, right areas we want kids and families hanging out to look at, what does the lighting look like and what's the camera situation. Obviously I was on your show talking about the tragedy shooting of queener read right. That was a situation where she's in a playground area, right, she should have been sick. It's unimaginable that we had such a tragedy. So we need to do better.
Speaker 5: We absolutely need to do better.
Speaker 7: And in the report back that we got this week on where the investments had been around cameras and lighting, the focus has been on the quote right away, those streets and sidewalks. So if you can picture a playground a park, these improvements have been put in place already cover the street and the sidewalk, but the land inwards right, the actual park piece wasn't included in some of these street lighting and camera updates. So that is my ask now to the administration is to first look at specifically playgrounds, park rec centers where we have had shooting. Queen Arie is one area, but then also Grant Park had multiple teams shot last ball there in Grant Park. So there are places where kids are congregating, we want them to we want them to be, you know, shooting hoops and having fun that there's been shooting. So first let's do an audit of those locations as well as in neighborhoods that are our top five for gun violence. So those other locations, let's get this audit of what is the camera situation, what is the light situation? Okay, now let's come back and look like, look at what would the cost be to improve that infrastructure? Right, if we have these parks that are pitch black at six o'clock on a December evening, what would it take to actually get lighting in there to make sure kids.
Speaker 5: Can be safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it makes sense, and that I think it could be a great spend for that three eighty she is council Member Anna Alby. That's moving forward. Well, I'm sure we'll get an update from you in the near future, because this thing has legs, is not going away and to keep an eye on how we're spending the money. I love it, Anna, all the best, have a great.
Speaker 7: Day, Thank you as much.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 1: Got a little bit more snow moving in for tomorrow. I believe tomorrow anyway, it could be wet, could be well. Find out what the forecast is in just a few minutes and hopefully this is it for winter, but probably not on the way. Speaking of cold temperatures, which we still have ice damming. A lot of people have the gutters that have the giant icicles st lag mites that are coming down, and if that's you, you may have bigger problems going on. I will talk about that with my wife. Caught up next seven hundred WW She's the Princess of property, the Queen of closings. Fuck touchess out deals. It's realistic time with Michelle Sloan.
Speaker 2: All hail, the bestest Remax time agent I've ever met.
Speaker 1: On seven hundred wl W all right, she is back and on the phone day my wife Michelle Sloane, and I got a text this morning from my son and his girlfriend and at their house in Columbus. She's like, there's a stain in our ceiling in the kitchen. What does this mean? So I went through the whole check and wells and an outside well, yeah, well it's probably ice damming. This is the year. This is the time of year we start to see this stuff and you notice telltale stands in your ceiling, especially their outside walls. That is a huge problem. And roofers are going to do really, really well. Coming up here, my wife Michelle Sloan from Sloan cellsales dot com open house show on the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube as well.
Speaker 3: Good morning are you good morning? Yeah, we're gonna have we have more and more. The icicles that you see hanging off your gutters, yes, may be cool and look pretty and you may think, oh those are fun and I'm just gonna snap those off.
Speaker 1: Which you can.
Speaker 3: It is a bigger problem. It's likely to be a bigger problem. So do you have to be aware of ice damming? And we're not being political here.
Speaker 1: Right damn ice?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, this has been the worst winter I think that we have seen in Cincinnati for a really long time.
Speaker 1: It feels like, oh doubt, yeah, we had this snowfall last year, but this is like the cold is what's now. I believe I saw thirteen straight days, almost two straight weeks of sub zero or not subs or sub freezing.
Speaker 3: Temperatures right And this morning actually I was taking Mannon out for a walk and it was a little bit warmer yesterday, but there is a lot of icy patches at least on the sidewalks and the road day this morning because it got cold again, kind of looked pretty with all of the ice on the trees and stuff. But I think a lot of people may not have a clue what ice damming actually is, right, and do you want to get into that or I have the It's basically the snow melting on the warmer part of the roof, right, and it runs down and refreezes on the roof edge and then the gutters creating a dam. The am not the am right.
Speaker 1: So here's what happens. So you've got it's an insulation problem primarily too. You need more insulation. You're at it, and it's a cold most bit, that's why you have it more. As colder it is, the more insulation you would need because what happens is the heat comes up, it melts, the snow runs down the roof, okay, grades and the gutter the gutter freezes up though, because it's not the insulation. And what happens is as the water melts, it continues to add on top of the ice. So the water can't go with the gutter and down. So the first thing you check is to make sure your downspouts and you can't do it now obviously your down spouts and gutters aren't packed with leaves, and that they slope the right way that the water's actually getting out. When it doesn't get out, it starts to fill like a bathtub. The water starts to spill over the edge, and that's what causes the icicles. And also what happens during that free thought cycle is the water starts a new water starts to freeze and it doesn't happen or to go except it goes back up the shingles. So if you look at shingles, right when you shingle a roof, you start the first course and there's underlayment stuff. I said, But the first course starts where the gutter is okay, and then you stack it up. So the overlaying layers is the water runs down, your roof will run down and you know it'll kind of skip over the shingles. Okay, that's all well and good, But what happens when that water goes reverse, Well, it gets under the shingle, up the roof, and it continues to freeze. And then when it melts, because maybe there's there's not a insulation in the house, maybe there's the heat comes up and it's just enough to melt that. And you'll see closer to your wall, sometimes a little further out where those where the icicles are, you'll see water spots in your cylind gole. Where the hell is that coming from? That's the ice dam and what's going on?
Speaker 3: Right, And it can cause some issues, and there may not be a whole lot that you can do about it right this minute. But I have a list of things not to do that apparently some people have done. Don't use like a hammer or an ice pick or a hatchet or a shovel on your shingle. Don't try to climb up a ladder and get on there and try to pick that away.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna do anything except, you know, maybe fall off your ladder and put a hole in your room.
Speaker 3: But you're going to do some damage, right damage.
Speaker 1: There's a dude I just saw this the other day, maybe last week in the New England States, maybe Massachusetts. Guys like, well, I got this icing, and my guy, I gotta draw these gutters, gets up there with a flamethrower a torch. No, it burns some pass down. I'm not lying.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, that's that's definitely on the do not do list. The other thing is some people have put rock salt on their roof to melt the snow and ice. It's a bad idea, very bad idea.
Speaker 1: Because what happens is, yeah, it's so it can deteriorate the gutters prematurely, can corrode those, but also it'll stain the roof, and it's it's also danger. I mean, if you're gonna do that, you really need to get like maybe maybe the ice damming is happening where the downspout meets the gutter itself and there's some you know, Okay, if I got water flow and go there, I can get it out. Okay, you could get a sock and fill the with calcium chlorid. Don't use rock salt, but kelsim chlorid. Put that in there and just set it in the gutter. But you got to do that obviously do it when it's like this right now, it's very very dangerous, but it will meld in that one particular spot, but not the whole gutter. It'll free somewhere else. Now, if it's again it's just one clog somewhere and you didn't get a chance to clear it out, that may help the situation. But I don't know. Is the risk worse the possible reward. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: No, probably not. We're all going to have to wait for it to fall, and I think I did see forties maybe next week, so that's a good thing. But the one long term prevention that you can do, and actually this is one of those things that you will get the return on your investment is increasing your attic insulation, and that is really important. Make sure that the all of the air fel around your attic. You know you're preventing that. Talk to a roofer. I mean, if you don't know what you're doing, then you could make it actually worse. Right, So, and we've always you know, say, keep your gutters clean, keep your gutters clean. Well, this is one of the main reasons why you want to make sure that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I know it's fun. You get the blower and the you go to the rental place, you go to a big box store and you buy certain number of bundles of blown in insulation. It's got a hose looks like a dryer hose, and you feed it and it's all fluffy. You blow it up there. But you do got to know what you're doing because you know if you blow the insulation into where another element with this too, I should point out, is and these two things sit together, is even in the winter, but especially in the summer, you got to make sure that attic is breathing. So you know, that's why you have some called a ridge vent. If you look and you're in your attic, which I don't how many people are, but at the very peak of it in the newer rooms you can see and look up and go, wow, there's a light coming through. Yeah. Also on the ends of the roofs you'll see like vents. Right, what does that do? It gets the heat out well. Also, no, you've got to have air exchange. It keeps the keeps mold and things like that out there. But you've got to have airflow through there. And if you don't, that is that's a recipe for disaster in a lot of ways, including what we're talking about here, so it all fits together, is you've got to have atticates. The attics gott to be ventilated. You've got a proper amount of insulation up there, and if you do that, you're gonna avoid ice, damming and other issues that you're starting to see now. And this is the extreme of bit. Most people, most houses, as you've seen, are under insulated, especially the attic, because even if you have the blown in kind over the years, what happens is, if we think about it, a lot of dust and debris in the attic poll all these things blow in there through the venting, and what happens is it causes the insulation, the blowness to settle. It starts packing down a little bit. And the again, the two things with insulation is not only the type of insulation, but also the amount of air that's in there, so you actually need airspace to help insulate. If you pack the insulation down, even like you know the old the pink insulation, you've packed that down, it's less effective. You want want it to be as expansive as the cavity you're going to So if you look at you. Yeah, if you look at your attic and you know you can see the joists, the ceiling joys or up there would be the roof choice floor choyst rather, you know, you probably need more insulation. Man, I do it. I've done several and again you got to make sure you're not blowing it all the way down to where the eaves are, where the where the vents are, especially if you have those soft events. You know, you know, and it depends what you know. Our value it is and all that. But about good ten inches I think seems to be about right for us. But the colder it gets and these better temperatures, you're like, well, I need more insulation up there. This is kind of it feels like right now this is like the the one hundred year low. Well, yeah, you don't want to. Don't still your whole attic up to the up to the peak with with insulation. That's a bad idea. Don't do that.
Speaker 3: That's definitely bad. So ice damning. That is what we're dealing with an icicles some other February and there's these are the things that we're facing this one, especially since it's super cold. You want to be careful about your furnace and dryer vents to make sure that there's the snow build up is not around to this again, your air vents for we're dryer and your furnace come outside and you want it to be able to breathe. I actually looked at ours and there's a giant icicle because there's condensation coming outside. And there is a big icicle on the outside of our house right now, and I want to send that picture to you later. I'll probably post it on my on my blog as well. But you know, that's just naturally occurring, and that's going to happen because there's the water and the condensation is coming outside into the cold. It's going to create a little bit of moisture and water and it has it freezes right away. So as long as the and there's plenty of air flow around those vents, that's that's important because and.
Speaker 1: The other thing too is make sure so that icicle is it causing that vent not to open or it doesn't close all the way. That's a concern and you want to you know, break that off and try to clean it out if that's the case. If it's just below and the event works normally, like if it's a damper kind of the lid blows up and down right and it's still functional, works, and don't worry about it. But you know, if it's causing that block, it's either keep it open because you're gonna have more cold air in your house, or you know, God forbid to go do laundry and you turn it on and that door doesn't open it and now all that exhaust is staying in your house. You don't want that, so just check it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and black events can also cause carbon monoxide issues, poor furnished performance, and again moisture problems, which we know except moisture problems can lead to mold other issues as well.
Speaker 1: But your house will smell like a dryer sheet, which is good, right, Oh, the dryers, the vented air stays inside, it's more humidity. And now you're gonna that that scent that stays in your close. Your whole house is gonna smell. No, sounds like it's a bounce house.
Speaker 3: I think that's wrong. I think we talked about because I don't know. Sometimes you say things and I have to question you.
Speaker 1: You're a real estate expert, What the hell do you now Anyway, my wife Michelle's here talking about ice damming and problems this summer with the severe cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So again, if you need you may need some help. We've had several home owners had problems with frozen pipe. If you open one of your thickets and it's on an outside wall and there's no water that comes out, it doesn't mean your waters off. It may mean that you have a frozen pipe. So you want to be really careful with that. Again, you may have to call a plumber or something if you're not a handy person. I've had some people use like a hair dryer to warm it up gradually so that that frozen pipe will unsaw. But we know the whole dripping action of keeping your doors open to your cabinet and making sure that there's air flow going in.
Speaker 1: The plumbers are going to be busy with the people if and we always we warn you know we do this. A segment is make sure in the in the fall, you are taking off the hoses on the outside of your house and people go live it's frost free. I've got a frost free one. Well, it's not freeze free, and especially the colder temperature that ice the ice in the hose will back up just like ice damming basically goes in and the the the energy from that will cause a copper pipe to split like a hot dog on a grill if you're not careful, if you don't take those things off, and if you don't have the frost free ones too, and you want to talk to a plumber about getting those changed out. If it looks like you know, this, this cold cold weather that we have is going to be every year and we're getting colder and colder, then you definitely want to do that. I know it's a little expensive, but it beats a flooded basement or wherever it might be, you know, to keep it out. If you have an unfinished basement, that's good because then you can actually see it. You'll see it when it you'll go around and go where all water come from, like the Titanic, where all's water come from. It's coming from a type. It's splint and it's not going to happen today, but it might happen sometime next week as the temperatures warm Upper shot in the spring, and plumbers are hell busy because of that. So the wettest stop at is take that home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the freezing thaw, freezing saw. To look around and this is really important, I think, just to know what's going on in your own home. Take a look around your foundation, look on the inside in your lower level, take a look at small cracks. Make sure that you're not seeing any water see in those areas. The other thing is right now is a good time because once all of this snow melt, your some pump is going.
Speaker 1: To be in over dry facts.
Speaker 3: So that some pump you want to test it. You want to make sure that it's working. And Scott, how do you do that?
Speaker 1: I've talked about this enough. You should know. I do know.
Speaker 3: You got a it's poor, a bucket of water, just.
Speaker 1: Like Okay, get this. This is the bet the bed is I'm the expert. Okay, a man explain it to you. Yeah, you're right, get it. Get a bucket. If you got a five gollond bucket better, it's fewer trips and you dump the water in there and when that float comes up, it should eject all that water. If it doesn't, you got problems. But typically you're not going to check you know, maybe maybe you haven't checked it in a while, you know, if you have a finished basement, you definitely want to invest in some sort of backup system. You want to check it right now? Probably not because that water's going to freeze coming back out. Yes, I'm meant to do that. Also when you're shoveling too, if you haven't done this ready, just try to keep it away from the foundation anywhere with the foundation. Get that snow away from the house, because if you just pile it up against you know, well, I'll just pile it over here against the foundations. Great, it's cold, but it's gonna melt and go straight down and that taxes further your whole drainage system. So try to get that, you know, good, three to four feet away from around. You don't have to. I don't think I'll go and shovel around your house. You know where the wall is. But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: No, but you don't want six feet of snow piled up again career foundings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's just.
Speaker 3: A problem, exactly, exactly all right.
Speaker 1: My wife Michelle Sloan Bloone sells homes dot com openhouse show. You can hear that via the iHeartRadio app for free. You can check out the YouTube channel as well, and she jumps in every Thursday to talk about stuff like this. Okay, so ice damming and some pumps. That's what you gotta worry about right now, all right, Love, you gotta go, Gotta go. Willie is standing by next right afternoons back here tomorrow nine oh six Scott Sloan Show, Home of the Red, seven hundred WW Cincinnati,