Speaker 1: H.
Speaker 2: Scott filling here on seven up with W.
Speaker 3: LW.
Speaker 2: So we've heard the story of the age Ol store about renters the landlords, and there's an effort to reduce repeat emergency calls to rental properties. And you know, sometimes there are properties out there and people renting that are nuisance. At least in Kentucky, common sense is king because they're they're proposing a law which would address chronic nuisance occurrences at rental properties. A three strikes in your outlaw and on. That is Boon County Commissioner Jesse Brewer working with State REPTJ. Roberts in Northern Kentucky for house spilled three three seven that would do just this. Jesse, welcome, how you been?
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm great, Thank you. Thanks for venting me on to Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. All right, give me the details of though, First of all, why is this needed? How big a problem are the nuisance tenants in Northern Kentucky and Boone County?
Speaker 1: So well, it's not just Boone County, it's everywhere.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 1: It's any area where you have rental property. What if you get someone that's excessively abusing public services. You know, they're this is for the person that plays for a radio two loud all the time, or maybe partaking in some substances they shouldn't partake in. The neighbors smell it and complain or whatever the case may be, what they called neighbor.
Speaker 3: Someone calls nine to one.
Speaker 1: One, the police have to go out there, The paramedics have to go out there for whatever reason, and also not taking away from their job of what they should be doing, you know, because they have to respond no matter what, because what if it's that one time.
Speaker 3: There is really a problem, right, so they.
Speaker 1: Got to respond well after they do this so many times, the cities in counties two where they can tell the property owner, hey, we got a problem here at this property.
Speaker 3: We've been here x y z times. Okay.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a tenant in a building in the city in Kenton County and I think the police were there eighteen times in a thirty day span because he would just went and put playing a stereo loud and then they were kept calling. And so the city came to me and said, hey, you gotta do something about this or you're gonna to start finding you. Well, under current law, if a tenants paying their rent, you can't just give them a seven day nose to vacate for non payment of rent. I know Ohio is three day, but in Kentucky at seven, you can't just give them a seven day non non payment notice. You gotta file thirty day eviction notice. You gotta file thirty day notice to vacate.
Speaker 3: Then you can to victim.
Speaker 1: So don't give me dinner for two to three months. Well, what House Bill three thirty seven will do is it will allow us to shorten that length and that notice period, shorten that up, allowing to get them out quicker the nu sense, which is or less of austraight on public services. The property owner can then maybe get a tenant in there that's a good community member. Lower their costs, you know, because you got a person that's doing this things tearing the place up. Lower my cost I lower my operating costs, I lower my housing costs. Housing gets cheaper.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that makes sense. Let me see. Let me play devil's advocate for just a second. I like being the devil's advocate here. This happened in Ohio years ago when we had when gun crimes are starting to, I guess become more of an issue than they are now. Seems kind of quaint to think that wasn't a case. But they decided, hey, we're going to sue gun man if we're going after gun manufacture. And the defense was, well, you know what, why are you soon as well? Because the cost police fire, emergency responders and all that stuff. It's a fall of the gun wind up happening. He said, well, no, that's why police fire and MS exists is in order to do that. You can't sue someone for doing their job in that case. Does that apply here in that Yeah, it might be a nuisance and it's training resources. But police fire and MS exists to respond in this case nuisance tentence. Police exists to respond to things like that as part of their job description. Is that an affirmable defense?
Speaker 1: It could be, but then they're going to look to you as a property owner because they have ordinances and they're folks to say, you have a problem ten here that's creating and creating us to be called come here too much, stucking up too much resources, and we're going to start charging you for these trips, or you've got a problem here with this tenant because the resident that you're responsible for because we are here too.
Speaker 3: Much, got it because so it's I.
Speaker 1: Feel what you're saying on that. But with the ordinance and laws are in the books, we are kind of forced as proper as to do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because then I could I could turn that around and go, Okay, well if I got to make if we're making multiple runs to the same place over and over and over again, could that not apply to I don't know, a sports stadium. Could that un apply to a university? Could that not apply Let's say to a nursing home where you know, again whether it's police, fire and mess. Okay, there's a nursing home there where I live, and in every other day there's a squad out front, largely because the people inside are the age where they're passing away or suffering the debilitating or stressing medical emergencies as it comes with old age. But no one would agree that, hey, you know what, we should target a nursing home because of all the response calls we have there because they're abusing the system.
Speaker 1: Correct, and that's where the abuse is the system going to come in. As a specific person, if you have a nursing home, a large department store. You're getting calls of different people, different issues, or they're legitimate medical burgencies. And again, this doesn't get triggered unless the city or the municipalities cite the property of yeah so. And they're not going to do that unless it's a legitimate abusive resource. If it's the legitarison to be there, they're not gonna that's those triggers wouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: Got it, got it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And in Cincinnati, I don't know if it's changed since or not. I don't own proper to Cincinnati, but for a while they were talking, Hey, you know what, if you've got a you know, a tenant that's a problem. After a couple occurrences, we're going to start finding the landlord. I go, wait a minute, now, if I've got a grown ass adult living in one of my units, am I responsible to drive by several times a day to make sure that individuals not playing their music loud or smoking weed in the yard or doing it? And of course not that that's not that, not that's not the landlord.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with you at all, and but they look at you as their screen and responsible person to put them in there. So Mike counterd has been, well, if they own their own house, so you start signing fighting in Yeah, exactly, they said.
Speaker 3: The police sources said, yeah, we will. There's orgiousness for that. I was like, oh, okay, I'm I supposed to say.
Speaker 2: That because the people who are irresponsible we won't hold accountable. We'll account the typical in America, the people who are responsible accountable. We're going to hold them responsible as opposed to the people are even though they're all adults. I can see it doing for a kid, but these are grown adults correct.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times when the first responders in the cities don't necessarily understand how landlord tenant law works, and they're like, get this person out of here, let's do process. I gotta give them a thirty day notice. I gotta wait for this, I gotta you know, there's hoops I gotta jump through, and they don't understand that, are grasped that and they get frustrated with you. So ideally this would allow us to identify the problem that apple is a few and speed up that time to save resources, preserve property. You know, if I got a tenant, that's just junking up the yard and jumping dunk junk cars in the yard, doing this and doing that. I gotta let them sit there and continue to damage the property for an extra month under the current wall, assuming that a rich Yeah, this way I can streak like, get get the streak the problem, lower my cost, get a better to in there, make the neighbors happy, make the police have, apartment, fire department happy, code enforcement happy, and.
Speaker 2: Everyone wins and it's good for the neighbor's day. If you you know the other thing Jesse Brewer by their Boone County Commissioner on this three strikes you're out law that's being proposed in Kentucky, meaning that if police have multiple calls, we'll get the details of that. A second, multiple calls to a rental property. Uh, you can, as a landlord evict that person that that holds them accountable for their actions. Because the way is in cincinnatiwis it was is all right, we're going to go after the landlord. If it's a new sentenant. Okay, well can I victim? Oh no, no, no no, no, that's that's damn near impossible to kick these people out because you know, you got to go to court as a whole. Probably we wait a minute, hold on just a second. Here, this is Jesse. I like you because your common sense kind of guy like me. This is just damn common sense. Get into the details exactly, Yeah, get in the details of what the triggers for this eviction would be.
Speaker 1: Well, so, birst of all, it starts with if people just do what they're supposed to do and be normal human beings, you don't have anything to worry about.
Speaker 3: Right If people just do the right.
Speaker 1: Thing and and not be an a hole, uh, you know, then you wouldn't have any issues. But this is designed for you know, you got someone that's likes to put off a bunch of crap in the yard, the property and make it unsafe. They're putting cars, they're putting refrigerators or whatever they want to do.
Speaker 3: I had this happen to me. Well, city site you as they rightfully should.
Speaker 1: I get that. Okay, they're gonna side. If you can't do this, we've got to ordinances.
Speaker 3: Get this.
Speaker 1: You know, after about three or four of those, you like for when you always find a stack up and now they like, get this person out of here. You know, we keep coming over here to deal decisions. This person needs to go. Well, they pay their rent, so I to go file a thirty day notice to vacate on them, and then I can file an adviction after that if they stay, and that's another thirty days. Meanwhile, you're still dealing with the same issues and the frustrations of gath. Or you get another person that you know they like to play the stereo a little too loud and the neighbors are constantly calling the police. Well, if they shove about three or four or five times within a certain times, Maan, they will send you a love note that says we're going to start finding you.
Speaker 3: Mister property owner.
Speaker 1: You need to get your tenant community orders rules in line. So there's some layers that have to happen here. You know, you have to have an excessive repeat offender that that has unfounded you know, pulture service. Then the city would have to cite you or the city would say okay, this is the problem. They give you the notice. Then you can do the three day notice the vacate as this law of proposed gotcha and shave a month off the shave a month off the process.
Speaker 2: So you have to have what three three strikes in a would you say, six month period.
Speaker 3: That's not the current that's how it is currently written.
Speaker 1: But it's a lot of stiff falled discretion to when the city is also cite the landlords, there's still gonna be some bugs to work out here. I think the three months as the three, three and six months. But the city doesn't cite you or the county to fight you, then there's no trigger there. They have to be the one to take the step to site you.
Speaker 2: What about an element of discrimination here in a sense that because I'm just trying to think of how how one may counter this argument in poke holes and help the law become better. Let's say, for example, Uh, there's some bad neighbors and they don't like the person living there because they're young, they're old, they're white, they're black, they are I don't know, gay, straight, whatever it might be, and like the neighbors like, well, you know, or are they you know? I've seen this one before too, believe it on political affiliations. We don't want this person in the neighbor you do that? How do we know that those are legitimate calls for service and complaints as opposed to someone just trying to run someone off of property.
Speaker 3: And that's a good point that's too to be worked out.
Speaker 1: I believe it's the spirit of the law would be they are the problem, not someone calling on them for something that they can't control, like one of those.
Speaker 3: Types of things.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know you still have everyone still have the First Amendment right. They're still a right, you know, freedom of speech and be whatever of religion, political affiliation they want. And if you're you know, spare housing has a lot of protections there and someone's calling just one of those honored reasons, and the city gets there said, well, this isn't really have found a complaint. They can't go back on you and make you violate fair housing to move someone out because of the color their skin, or their religion or family deaths and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could always find your neighbor doing something you disagree with, but calling the place. Some people do that. They're vindictive, they got nothing better to do. I've seen it happen. I'm sure you've seen it happen with with sentence as well. And whatever the issue is, they shouldn't cause you to lose where you live because it's the it's the other person's problem. Not yours.
Speaker 1: And that's gonna be where they have to have a valid nuisance violations, not something that's what you suggested.
Speaker 3: What would that that's something of.
Speaker 2: It, Jesse Burr. Would domestic violence calls be excluded from this?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I hope so, And that's something I would hope so because that's a safety issue, right, I would definitely hope that you would have the mesic violence issues be screened on that. And that's a tricky one because you don't want toyone to be in a nun stage situation. So I believe that's what would be need to be excluded from that.
Speaker 3: Domestic violence called absolutely.
Speaker 2: Boon County Commissioner Jessee Brewer on the Scotsland Show seven hundred w old but his hospital three thirty seventies helping craft. That would create a three strikes and out rule for chronic nuisance tenants. So if you get three service calls within a six month per and the granted, those have to be verified and this person has to you know, you get eighteen noise complaints, as you said, you should get run off and it gives three days notice for a landlord to evict you if you are one of those people who are using a lot of the resources. You mentioned this about saving money and allocate proper allocation resources. There's overtime costs, there's equipment where how how big a problem is this really? How many nuisance tenants are there? It is it a huge problem or the Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It's enough where we're talking about it, right, it's one of it's one of those issues. Is it Is it detrimental to the business. No? Uh, but this would just prevent a problem. Yes, it's the problem. It's not that we have a lot of these problems, but when you have one, it's a big problem or could be a big problem and very falsely problem for the cities to dispatch of services for the property or and everything else. So you know, if I have one hundred tenants, you know, this might be one or two of them.
Speaker 3: But when you start multiplying.
Speaker 1: Now you know, across all the rental proper and everything else and compounding it, and you know you you know, you have ten thousand pieces of rental property nation of city. There's a lot of services on a police department, fire department to be wasted.
Speaker 2: Not much of a deal at the Northern Kentucky University or Mount Saint Joe. But what about UK Louisville, big universities where you have a large number of young people like to have fun and be allowed at all ours a night. What about UK Louisville and schools like that relative to off campus housing, well.
Speaker 1: Campus, it could be a little different. So I get it's gonna have to be the triggering of the calls from the police to the landlord. But a lot of those cities already have ordinances in place, and what they're going to do is they still if you have a problem, they still are going to make you get rid of them.
Speaker 3: This isn't like there's so many If I.
Speaker 1: Have a nuisancee problem today right now on the current law, I'm still getting the love brands from the city with a citation, threats or citations than deal with this.
Speaker 3: So I have it just takes me.
Speaker 1: Thirty days to get them out and then I know thirty days. Interesting in theory, if I can get them out faster, this could be an enticement for people to behave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, could very well be. Again, there's a lot of there's some perils in here that have to be addressed, so I'd imagine it could take a bit of time to get through the legislature, and.
Speaker 3: It may not get through this year.
Speaker 1: A lot of times in legislation like this comes up and gets introduced for a year. They talked about it and tweak it among all the other legislations that they do. It might come back next year looking a little different. But the conversation starts the committee meeting here you can start on any legislation that you've got to get it introduced. You've got to get it going, and then you've got to get input from the other stakeholders and groups and address it. It might take two or three sessions to get something push No. Entucky is the Kentucky is the budget year. It's our bi annual Kentucky. We do the budget every other year for two years, so it's our bi annual budget year. So there's a lot of high priorities in Kentucky right now, you know, I know there's they got a lot.
Speaker 3: Of like the grooming bill that Marian she's.
Speaker 1: Got filed, right so there's a lot of other joh, stay higher priorities for legislators rightfully, so they know we got so much time, so this one might make it heard and talked about isn't really brought and center. It's a niche it's a niche issue. It's a niche industry problem for you know, police, fire and cities. So but it could get talked about, expand upon and move along the typeline.
Speaker 3: Sure, but there's certain priorities. There's only so.
Speaker 1: Much time to day for these legislators. That's issues, and we'll get to get to it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jesse Brewer Boone County Commission. Always a pleasure having you on and something to think about, for sure. I think it's interesting. I want to follow this one and see if we can do this in Ohio because it makes sense. I think you can't force someone to be a good neighbor, but the law should be able to help you this one. It's good for the neighborhood. It's good you think anyway, Jesse, all the best, Thanks for jumping in.
Speaker 3: Thanks appreciate you have a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you too, be well are you doing in your brackets so far? I'm actually not bad. I'm like eighty something percent, eighty five eighty I forget what it is. Ohio State and a couple others got me. But but the good news is some of the dogs I got those, so I'm feeling pretty good today. At four twenty five, it is Miami and number six Tennessee. The play in Darlings take on Tennessee. I got, I got the RedHawks, and I'm betting with my head, not my heart. I think that I think Miami for some reason. In my head, I got it they can beat Tennessee. We'll find out today. And if you're looking for place to hang, if you're Miami supporter, grad alone, whatever, Holy Grail Banks today they'll have them. The doors open, the beer flowing, the nice warm weather blowing in, and you can watch any one of the sixteen matchups today at Holy Grail Banks, but especially in Miami later on today. Scott's Loan Show continues seven hundred w weld