Speaker 1: It's mo Joe in the Morning Show.
Speaker 2: It is really cool to see at this time of the year the post on social media for a lot of friends of ours kids where the kids are excited because they got accepted to a college and they're going to go to that college next year. I'm seeing a bunch of people posting different ones, and it's kind of cool to see the variety of schools that kids are going to, everything from Grand Valley to Western Central Michigan, Michigan State. There's a couple of kids that I've seen recently that are all going down south and going to like these SEC schools like Alabama Old Mess. I mean, if I did it all over again, I realized this saying I screwed up. I went to a broadcasting school, which look what that did for me. You know, I would have gone, I would have gone to cut Out, I would have gone to where I went to I went. I went to Arizona this year to go to that game with Joe. When I saw what girls looked like on that campus, the girls that went to Columbia College in Chicago didn't look like that. The girls that the way Columbia College looked like Zach so but I love that these you know, these kids are all going to the schools that they like. And by the way, the shout out to Eastern Michigan University. Shout out to uh, any parent that you know their kids are looking and wanting to know where to go. That's a great school to go to. So I really think it's a good option for them. And they can live on campus or they don't, you know, want to live at home.
Speaker 3: And shout out to the queys who don't think college is for to that's a big shout out a lot of other options. Can I tell you why that's it?
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 4: Well, well, not that.
Speaker 2: I like guys like they need to encourage that more. They need to encourage they need to encourage the you know, you don't have to go to college to be successful thing. So this is a story though, that is I've been waiting to kind of do this on the air because it's one of those stories that I bring up on the air. I'm gonna probably hear about it later, like you shouldn't have talked about this on the air. But parents that I know are excited for I'll just say, kid, I'm not going to say their their gender, to go to school, and they're excited for them to go to college, but they are excited in kind of a different way. Their child applied for some schools, and one of the schools they applied for is the school that they really wanted to go to. But the parents didn't necessarily like the idea of them going there because they thought that it wasn't going to be a good fit for them and actually thought that it wasn't good for them to be going away.
Speaker 1: To this school.
Speaker 2: And the parents have hid from them that they got the acceptance to that school. Oh, so their child has been applying for schools in using the email address that they have as a family email address, and that's kind of nowadays. You get you don't get packaged in the mail everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you get both.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, And they applied to these schools and she got oh Jesus got accepted to the schools here in Michigan, so locally, and so got their school. But the school they wanted to go to was going to be out of state and it was going to cost a little bit more money, and the parents didn't have the heart to say to them, hey, this is not, you know, a good fit or we don't think this is a good fit, and the parents are paying for the school, like they're going to you know, this kid's not having to go and get college loans and stuff. The parents are paying for it, but they didn't want them going and instead of just saying to them, and it brought up something really interesting because I thought to myself when I heard the story, I'm like, that is like a scandalous story, because what if this kid ever finds out nowadays? But I don't know if we have any parents that are listening to the show that have ever done this, or any kids that adults like us that had this happen to them. What did you find out that your parents were hiding from you? Or what are you hiding from yours your kid? What are the things that you're hiding? Could you imagine if later in life, you know, you you're successful, you graduate, you go to school wherever, and I'll just throw out of school. This is not one of the schools you graduate from, you know, University of Michigan, and you're like all great in life, and then you find out that your parents hid the acceptance that you were supposed to get.
Speaker 1: That's terrible. It can but it also listen.
Speaker 2: First off, I said to I said to Chelsea when this came up and we were talking about it, I said to Chelsea, that's one of those ones where I know, I don't have balls to tell people sometimes the bad news. I think you, as a parent, you go, hey, I'm paying for your college. You go there.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: You're paying your own and that's what the parents should have done. But well, there you go.
Speaker 1: But I think that's terrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this child is I'm telling you going to find out because these schools that you get accepted to, like they send an email, then they send like the welcome package with like a T shirt they like. Those parents are going to have to intercept a lot of things, and then they like a follow up postcard, Hey, make sure you fill out your form by whatever.
Speaker 4: I remember, there's still a lot of actual mail.
Speaker 1: Luke only wanted Michigan State. That was all he wanted.
Speaker 2: But he applied to all those SEC schools and I remember he the first school he got accepted to is University of Kansas, which is the Big twelve school, and he got accepted there and I was like, oh, that's cool, man. I got excited. I look at these schools because I see him on TV, you know, with their sports, and I was like, all excited about it, and he only I think they made him in his school apply for different schools and he had no interest in that. Then the school he really was going to go to was Kentucky. We went down for that visit and it was awesome in the last minute because he didn't get accepted right away at Michigan State. Michigan State then eventually came back and gave him an acceptance. Then he was like, and I look at how he is now, Like I don't I couldn't imagine him going anywhere else. Like it was a perfect fed front Atakai. Is it ever justified for parents to do something like that?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. You don't think something.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure there are extinguating circumstances. We could think of the worst possible reason. But I think what's better is to have the conversation with your child and express you know, your feelings, understand their feelings, and come to a resolution. But to say that I need to hide this from you and never tell you, because what if that child is you know, like Shannon was saying, there are other methods that are used these days to say you're accepted or not. What if it was earlier when there weren't as many methods, and now this child has left to believe. Was I not good enough? Or I thought I did everything right. I went to the classes, I took all the extracurriculum, I got the recommendations, and they still didn't accept me.
Speaker 2: Like, some people take that stuff to heart. What about the people that keep who the parent of their child is from them?
Speaker 3: Well, it don't asks me that I know, But what about the people though?
Speaker 2: Like I like, there are sometimes where people are like, like you hear the story about we're raising the child and it's like our nephew or something like that, but we're not telling them that it's our nephew.
Speaker 6: There's a man I know that I'm very close with. He has a daughter and then his daughter has a sibling, but it's not his child. He is raising the son as if it was his child. The daughter doesn't know, the son doesn't know. It's only him and his baby mama.
Speaker 4: But what's the situation with real dad?
Speaker 1: With real dad's not there?
Speaker 6: So he was like, I just I don't want him to live that life, and I'm like, he's gonna find out sometime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know how I feel about those situations, to be honest, Yeah, because I feel like it and I've never obviously I've never been in that situation, but I feel like in certain situations where there is like protection of the child.
Speaker 4: Involved, that I feel I feel like I feel.
Speaker 5: Differently, right, he said, I'm more so swayed to say I get it.
Speaker 6: Right, and it is like admirable for him to step up as this father figure. So he said that when he gets old enough, we'll have a conversation with him. But then I'm like, at that point, if I'm the kid, I'm questioning everything that you've ever done for me.
Speaker 3: Do y'all feel the same way about kids that are adopted and their parents don't tell them that they're.
Speaker 2: Adopted they've been adopted, But yeah, I don't know. Yeah, I think that, honestly, I would think that that that's different. Maybe when they're really little little you don't tell them that first, but I think eventually the kids should know that they're adopted. Although I think there are some people like back in the day, and I mean like even twenty five years ago, or something of that. You wouldn't see a lot of parents talk about the adoption thing because they just didn't want the kid to feel like they were different, or why they weren't, you know, with their biological parents.
Speaker 3: Some people there's always a gay reason they don't do it, just because they say it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yes, from your parents, Yeah, that's all that matters. If they if they lie, it's one thing. If they just don't say anything, it's another.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 7: Ka?
Speaker 1: Initial k voice disguised.
Speaker 4: How we're going, guys?
Speaker 1: How you doing doing good? Your voice dies? Guys? What are you calling about? God?
Speaker 8: Well, you guys are talking about parents hopping stuff.
Speaker 1: But I'm actually hiding from my parents.
Speaker 7: My grandpa is my dad's actual dad.
Speaker 3: Say it again, and if you own bluetooth, cut it off. No, I'm not okay, just say it again.
Speaker 2: You're hiding something from your parents. What is it you're hiding from them?
Speaker 4: I don't think my grandpa is my dad's actual dad.
Speaker 1: Well why do Why wouldn't your dad know who his dad is?
Speaker 8: I mean, okay, so his mom growing up with.
Speaker 4: She really likes with other people.
Speaker 2: It's hard to understand you. For some reason, your phone connection is bad with the voices, guyser, I'll.
Speaker 3: Look, let's let's take let's take the voices guys off and you.
Speaker 1: Just like the scars were worse. But I don't care. Ok all right, your voice, guys is off. Okay, so there is that better?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Now? I never thought that that was what your voice would sound like, but go ahead, okay.
Speaker 7: So she really liked bake cookies with other people grandma was growing up. Yeah, Grandma did so when she had my dad, she had twins. Now on my grandpa's family and her side of the family, they they don't have twins, and twins is normally a like hereditary thing. It skips a generation. I know it's possible for someone to still have twins, but that kind of raised the red flag for me. So I kept that in the back of my mind. And now she came back into our lives. I've my grandpa's blood type is the I took her to a doctor's appointment one time. Her blood type is Oh, and my dad, I'm sure what it is, but it doesn't match up.
Speaker 2: So do you who do who do you think is the your dad's dad?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: Dude, I don't know, man, there was a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you think that grandma was ho and around?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 6: Does your dad have any suspicions?
Speaker 7: No, but my mom does.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that you guys care so much about it, But he doesn't really care about it, isn't that while?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he's it's like fifty five, so it's fine.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I found out one day when I was you know, I'm fifty five right now, if I found out that my dad wasn't really my dad, I'd be like, God, I hope my dad's Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, imagine what's going on, Charles, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 2: We're talking about hiding things from your kids and parents hiding.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah.
Speaker 10: I was, uh, like, I was adopted since I was one years old, and I think I found out when I was like five, and I was kind of like happy about it because I was, like, I really thought I was different from everybody, you know what I'm saying. I didn't know what it actually and I remember the teacher's looking at me weird, but me and my brother were happy about it, you know, And ever since. Like, yeah, I like being different because you know, I ain't got the middle name, no grandparents, and I watched everybody else lose all that.
Speaker 3: You know, how were you told? How are you told them? You told you that you were adopted?
Speaker 7: I adopted?
Speaker 9: Yeah, she passed away last year too.
Speaker 5: Do you know your Do you know your biological parents at all? Or you don't have any contact with them?
Speaker 10: I actually founded them in twenty sixteen on Facebook. That's a little good way to find your parents. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did they welcome you back into their lives or did you reconnect with them?
Speaker 10: My birthma, she actually passed away in twenty twenty four. Uh, it was kind of I don't know.
Speaker 1: I found her.
Speaker 9: She was on drugs and stuff, like you know, she lost her two kids at sixteen though, you know, so like yeah, and my dad was a situation where they thought my.
Speaker 10: Brother dad was his dad was my dad? And nah, And then I find my dad and we was about to take a DNA test and we fell out.
Speaker 1: So I hope he hears this, oh man, Charles, Yeah first, so long time. Yeah, listen, can I tell you something, Charles.
Speaker 2: I will tell you that that you were raised obviously by people that loved you so because to choose, like it's one thing to get pregnant and have a child, it's another thing to actually choose I'm going to raise a child, you know.
Speaker 10: So yeah, and it was always told out with specialist stuff like you know, random people walking up to me.
Speaker 9: Specially when your mom chose you down to the funeral.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a blessing. It's sad that she's not with us anymore, but she's there with you all the time. And I appreciate you calling anybody and sharing that with us.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I have a blessed day. Char take care of yourself. Jennifer, what's up, Jennifer.
Speaker 1: Hey, good morning, guys, Good morning.
Speaker 8: Okay, so my this is like twenty years ago, but my senior year in high school, my grandma had like a couple of heart attacks. My mom's mom, and I moved in to help take care of her. My dream was like always to to open my own restaurant, and I got accepted to the Culinary Institute of America. I didn't I did not tell my family because I wanted to stay home and take care of my grandma. I didn't want to move out of state, So I never went and I just worked and took care of her.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 8: I didn't go back to college till my daughter was like two, and then I went for pharmacy instead.
Speaker 2: Jennifer, Wait a second, So you gave up your dream very and the chance to go to the best culinary school in the world because you wanted to take care of grandma. But and you told them that you didn't get accepted just so that they wouldn't be upset with.
Speaker 1: You for staying with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty unbelievable, Jennifer. Is Grandma still with us?
Speaker 8: Yeah, she has she has Alzheimers now, So like it's it's a little rough because like we're like losing her slowly, you know, because she doesn't remember anything, Like she barely remembers me. But she still remembers me, which is great because like I was always a big part of her life. I was, I was a favorite like Anna, and uh, you know, so I like that she still remembers me. But it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Hard, Jennifer, do you regret doing what you did?
Speaker 8: I was no, absolutely not. She I spent yeah, I spent every weekend with her every summer. We went up North. She has a cabin up north, Like I spent so much time with her, so I don't regret it at all.
Speaker 1: In your she got a good career right now, you.
Speaker 8: Know let me actually yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like obviously, And I love my grandmama. I think the time that you spend with her is amazing because you have all those memories. But does a little piece of you be like I spent all this time, gave up my dream, and the bitch don't even remember me, Like you know what said, I'm not.
Speaker 8: Not that, but I do like I do often wonder like where my life would have been, you know. But and and I still love to cook, like I cook for my family, like you know, I cook for my friends and stuff like that, and it's still like a passion of mine. And like maybe one day I'll open a food truck or something.
Speaker 2: But Jenner, do you think that your grandma would kill you if she found out that you lied to her like that?
Speaker 8: Oh for sure, without a dow she would have whooped me.
Speaker 10: She would have whoped me.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on I think family first, and that's wonderful. In whatever path you chose is the right path because you chose it and no.
Speaker 8: One knows it still to this day, like nobody knows.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing the secretly love you, Jennifer, don't lose that dream.
Speaker 8: I love you guys, Guys, my family man, that's awesome. I got to trust me cause I gonna cook for you one day too.
Speaker 1: Bro, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: He called your grandma a bitch, and you're gonna cook her. I didn't call her a bitch, you know.
Speaker 1: God, I can't believe that. I can't wait to taste the food. Jennifer. Love you, Jennifer, Love you guys,