Speaker 1: The quest for the threepeat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: Fi a Spring Training Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talk, here we go again, riga running.
Speaker 3: Back hosted by Dodgers aint sider David Basset. How three peat in the Mexican in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David bas Sing.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Masey with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We got a great show for you tonight. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Also, there's been a lot of talk about some of the young Dodgers that have been playing in spring training games this year, so we're going to revisit our conversations with James T. Bibbs third, who has had a very impressive Cactus League season. He was traded twice last year, once from the Giants to the Red Sox and then the Red Sox to the Dodgers, So he is looking for stability, consistency, and it seems like the Dodgers organization is bringing out the best in James Tibbs the Third, who is a first round pick out of Florida State. He has had a tremendous spring training, not just with the home runs or the batting average, it's the way he's getting those hits. He's going the other way with power, and he's a really good outfielder that could play all three outfield positions. So you will hear from James Tibbs the Third and also a forgotten guy in in some capacities, Jackson Ferris is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. Remember Jackson Ferris was part of the Michael Bush trade a couple of years ago that rock Zayiir Hope and Jackson Ferris to the Dodgers, and there was a lot of hype around Jackson Ferris. But you know, he may not turn out to be that number one or number two elite starter. He might turn out to be that way, but there's nothing wrong with saying you're a number three starter in the big leagues, especially when you look at the Dodgers starting rotation this year and for years to come with Yamamoto, Otani, Glass, Noew and Snell, along with guys like Emma Shean and River Ryan, there's something to be said about being part of the rotation. It's gonna be a little hard to supplant Yamamoto or Otani or Snell as a number one when those guys are on the mound. But nonetheless, Jackson Ferris could be making his major league debut this year, and with the way the Dodgers starting rotation is starting out the season, it may come sooner rather than later. So we'll get into all that later in the show. But in case you missed it, since we did not have the game on and five to seventy LA Sports today, the Dodgers in a slugfest in Goodyear against the Reds lost to Cincinnati fourteen to thirteen, and it was impressive the Dodgers were able to put up fourteen runs considering Max Munsey was the only Dodger in the lineup that was in the starting lineup in Game seven of last year's World Series. The only other player that was on the roster last year that was in the starting lineup was Alex call and Alex Freeland. The hero today was a guy that you're starting to hear more and more from, and I mentioned him to you after the second week of spring training that he had a viable option or a viable chance of making the roster, and that is Santiago Espinal. Santiago Espinal today hit a pair of home runs and drove in six runs. He certainly has been and swinging the bat really well in spring training. That's not what the Dodgers were looking for. They were looking for his defense to get back to the Gold Glove level that it was when he made the All Star team with the Blue Jays a few years back. So it looks like the defense is there and the bats certainly is there. And look, with the injuries to Key K Hernandez and tom Yedman or off season surgeries, I should say to Key k, a Hernandez and tom Y Edman, Santiago Espinal is going to be on this roster. Didn't really need Dave Roberts to confirm that all signs were porting that way. I got some indications from Andrew Friedman a couple of weeks ago that yeah, he definitely was in the mix and certainly, with those two players starting the year on the injured list, the Dodgers needed some right handed bat off the bench. Miguel Rojas and Alex call are the only two right handed bats off the bench right now and on the infield. Off the bench, Rojas is the only one. So Santiago Espinal, I know he could play second like he did today. I know he could play third. But the way it's been explained to me is that the Dodgers to begin the year are looking for Espinal to spell Max Munsey when needed and play the high level defense at third base and give the Dodgers a right handed hitting option at third base, considering Munsey's the lefty not to mention at second base, They're looking for either Hay Song Kim or Alex Freeland to go with Miguel Rojas. Freeland he's a switch hitter, yes, but he's a better hitter from the left side. Hay Song Kim a left handed hitter, and he and Shoho Tani are in the same World Baseball Classic Poll poll c out there in Tokyo, and Hay Song Kim before he left for Tokyo, left a big time impression on Dave robertson the Dodgers that he has gotten better as a hitter, all around hitter, so that's good news. And also the fact that Kim can play some outfield gives him the edge to be part of the opening day roster, but nothing has been cemented, so the competition is still open for the last roster spot essentially between Santi excuse me, Alex Freeland and Hayesan Kim Espinal all but on the opening day roster. For the reasons I explained, eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number in case you've been missing Dodger Baseball on your home for the back to back champions and five to seventy LA Sports. Our next broadcast is going to be this Saturday, and it's an evening affair at Talking Stick Salt River Fields. It's against the Rockies. Our coverage begins on Saturday at four point thirty with first pitch at five oh five, and Emma Shean and Kyle Hurt are going to join us on the pregame show this Saturday, so looking forward to that. Before that all happens, there's going to be more World Baseball Classic games taking place overnight in Tokyo at the Tokyo Dome. But here's something for you. And I start to ask some people that are avid baseball fans, big time Dodger fans, how into the World Baseball Classic are you? Look, It's no secret that I'm not making this the end all be all, like other media types that obviously want to get in the good graces of Major League Baseball. This is all to me set up kind of like the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals or the Savannah Bananas against you know who or anybody. Look at who is in Pool C with Team Japan, the team that Major League Baseball obviously wants to advance, Australia, Chinese time, I pay Chechia and Korea. Korea is probably the only team that could give Japan a loss in that pool. You look at Pool D in Miami. The Dominican republics in the same in the same pool with Israel, the Netherlands, Nicaragua and Venezuela. So you basically only have two baseball countries. I know the Netherlands have some people that have played in the big leagues, but it's been far and few between. At the same time, sorry, Kennley Jansen. I apologize. And then you look at Pool B in Houston. You got Brazil. Have you ever heard of nine Brazilian players in Major League Baseball? Great Britain, Italy. My mom's from Italy, and when I went there when I was sixteen and I mentioned baseball, they had no clue what I was talking about. So that tells you all about baseball in Italy. You got Mexico has a good lineup but poor pitch, and they got a great manager in Benji Gill. And then you've got Team USA. So you can't tell me this is made not made for TV. This is made for TV. They want the USA or Japan or the Dominican Republic in the finals. There's no ifs ands or buds about it. Out there in San Juan, Puerto Rico. You got Puerto Rico, Panama, Cuba, Columbia, Canada. Come on, they want Puerto Rico coming out of there. This is so telegraphed it's insulting. And I feel like that's part of the reason why nobody takes this as seriously early on as Major League Baseball wants you to take it, I only start to get engaged, probably in the quarterfinals when you start to see baseball lineups that you recognize playing each other, whether it's Puerto Rico versus USA or the Dominican against Korea or Japan. Venezuela has good players as well, But come on, are you really excited about the World Baseball Classic before the final matchup when you actually recognize who the players are. This is completely telegraphed to get these baseball countries into the quarterfinals, the semi finals, and the finals, of course. And I'm not blaming Major League Baseball. And it goes back to what I have said many times and many others that actually are saying agree with, is that the Dodgers and Yankees in the World Series is better than the Diamondbacks and Rangers in the World Series for baseball. Same thing as it applies to the World Baseball Classic, but MLB has more control over that happening by the way they put these teams in their desired pools. There's no drawings. This is Major League Baseball footing these teams where they want them to put them. So I'm sorry, I can't get hyped up for any of this. I apologize until maybe we see a matchup of Usa versus Puerto Rico or Japan versus the Dominican Republic. Yeah, if I'm available, I'll watch it. But outside of that, I'm sorry. And I've talked to other people, you know, I actually engage with other humans now, dropping my kids off at school, going to Little League. Nobody has mentioned once about the World Baseball Classic or how hyped up they are about the World Baseball Classic? Am I missing something? Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue on Dodger Talk. I want to hear from you. Am I missing something about this? Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. And also you'll hear from James Tibbs, the third who I predict we'll make his major league debut at some point this season for the Dodgers. Coming up later in the hour, Jackson Ferris as well David Vassay Dodger Talk. That's who we care about the Dodgers right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Welcome the Dodger Talk. We are with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We will be with you on Saturday as the Dodgers will be at Salt Rivers Field in Talking Stick as they will go across the Valley of the Sun and take on the Rockies. It's a night game under the lights, four point thirty. Our coverage begins five to oh five, first pitch between the Dodgers and Rockies. And this is the week that the Dodgers start playing night games for the Cactus League. They're going to play a night game Tomorrow night against the Royals at Camelback Ranch and then go to Talking Stick on Saturday, and then next week the Dodgers have two night games on Thursday and Friday against the Reds and Mariners, respectively. So yeah, they're starting some night games now. So if you're going out there you're looking to see the Dodgers, don't forget there are night games now, so make sure you check the schedule. I'm not sure if you're gonna be tuning into the World Baseball Classic, but I find it hard to believe anybody is going to pass on Lakers Pacers tomorrow night to watch the first round of the World Baseball Classic in Los Angeles. I just don't feel like it's appointment watching in LA. I'm not sure if it's appointment watching anywhere in the United States. Certainly the players for the Dominican Republic, all these teams are excited to be with each other and play with each other, and specifically for Team USA, guys have already said it's an incredible honor and experience to be playing alongside each other. The highest names in the game, the highest level of players in the game, whether it's Japan, USA, the Dominican, They're all going to have their own vibe and electricity to be with their countrymen and be with the best of the best for those baseball countries. Not sure you could say the same for Taipei or Panama or Italy. I mean net Coletti are guys the GMA team Italy. I know he had a hard time trying to find guys with any sort of Italian blood that played in the big leagues, and when he did, he certainly ran into some roadblocks. So, like I said before, this is such a contrived, choreographed tournament, and I feel like everybody can see through that, at least early on, and that's why it's not what Major League Baseball wants it to be. Until they start to show us that it's random in the early rounds that the US and Japan can be the same pool. Really, the only time anybody is going to get excited about baseball internationally as far as international play goes, is twenty twenty eight, when baseball in the Olympics are going to be back together and the Olympics are going to be played at Dodger Stadium, at least the baseball part of it is going to be played at Dodger Stadium for the first time since nineteen eighty four. That's when everybody will have all eyes on the international game of baseball, especially if you have major league players playing in the Olympics during an All Star Breaks situation. And that's a very real possibility that will generate more buzz than anything that happens this year in the World Baseball Classic. Let's go out to Los Alamitos. Robert, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Robert, Hey, Dave, how you doing. I'm doing great? Am I missing something with this World Baseball Classic? Am I swinging and missing on the pulse of Dodger fans out there?
Speaker 4: I don't think I completely agree with you that the World Baseball Classic is some type of MLB contrived type of tournament. You know, My only thing with it is it's a blip on the screen, But it really concerns me that some of our regular starters could get injured, and that that's the only thing that really concerns me about it. I'm not gonna watch a game of it. I'd rather wait for the Olympics and see Team USA play that that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can you imagine the Olympics, the gold medal, the real gold medal. You got Team USA against Japan. You got Yamamoto and Otani playing at Dodger Stadium, but playing for Team Japan against guys like Roman Anthony and Aaron Judge. That's what it's all about. That's what is going to get everybody's attention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree with you. Unfortunate. It just seems like it's just something to kind of try and promote the game more internationally when you know more of a maybe a tour in the offseason might do more more benefits for the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. Thanks for the phone call, Robert, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, the Dodgers went to Sydney, Australia back in twenty fourteen. Have we seen an influx of Australian baseball players since then? You haven't. It's great for the game to go there and give it a different venue and to expand and say that, yeah, we're taking this game internationally, but how many new fan bases are going to really produce major league players? It may put more baseball fans, I guess that's more realistic. You might find new baseball fans that buy your merchandise around the world. And certainly the Dodgers in Major League Baseball have Japan certainly covered, and they've got Korea covered. I saw that firsthand when I was lucky enough to travel with the Dodgers the last two years to those countries. But I just don't see it in Australia. I just don't see it in Italy. I've been to those countries. Like I said, I was with the Dodgers in Sydney. A lot of people I encountered had no idea that baseball was even being played at the cricket ground. It was a very niche sort of you had to be in the know or what is going on. But don't get me wrong. It was an incredible experience. It was so unique to have the Diamondbags and Dodgers play at the Sydney Cricket Ground, a historical cricket ground, and maybe you touched new baseball fans there that obviously remember that they're older now and maybe they're buying the merch and maybe they're coming to Dodgers Stadium. But there's no doubt about it. You've got Korea and Japan on board with the Dodgers brand in Major League Baseball. Let's go out to Ted and Wittier. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassa.
Speaker 1: Hi, Ted, what's going on? David down Debbie.
Speaker 5: Downer, what's going on? It's baseball, buddy, it's it's baseball at a high level. You got comtes countries that are is it high level baseball? Yeah, let me say name.
Speaker 2: A player on a great Britain and Brazil for me.
Speaker 5: Well, of course you're gonna you're gonna make that kind of point. But listen, it's spring training right now, of course. Uh, you know, we're we're looking we're looking at players that are gonna probably be at high triple A, high high double A. This is good for the other countries. They're building the baseball brand other countries. Yeah, they don't have the type of players to stack up against Japan, Korea and the United States, but it's baseball. David, be happy for for those players that are getting to play. My friend, don't be said Debbie Downer, all.
Speaker 2: Right, well are you? I mean, who are you? So you're telling me you're setting your DVR for the World Baseball Classic, Ted, that's how all in you are?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: And you're telling me a kid like Jared Duran who is not born in Mexico, his dad is Mexican. So that's that's what it's resorted to, where you have to stretch maybe second third generation of players to play for certain countries. Like Trace Thompson is playing for Great Britain because we know his dad, Michael Thompson, is from the Bahamas. So don't try to tell me that we're building brands and giving guys opportunities from those countries when we're really not.
Speaker 5: Well it's it's I don't see a problem with people tracing their heritage back and playing.
Speaker 2: I don't either, But don't tell me that a true British player is getting an opportunity to play in the World Baseball Classic when you're starting to go that route. And same with Italy. You gotta find fifth generation baseball players to be able to figure it out. Same with Jock Peterson when he played for Israel.
Speaker 5: Okay, if they had, if those countries had developed the game more, and they are continuing to develop it, but it's not just.
Speaker 2: It's not part of their culture. It's just not part of their culture. And why aren't we seeing USA? And my other point ed is why aren't we seeing USA versus Japan in the same pool in the same round Because it's scripted. They don't want that to happen in the first round, so it's not a real tournament.
Speaker 5: No, but that, But that's the same thing in soccer. They don't put all the strong teams in the World Cup in the same and the same group. Come on, David, and.
Speaker 2: People have problems with that as well. They do have better groups of teams in certain groups in the pool. That that's true in the World Cup, they're they're not doing it like this. The disparity is not that big. So tell me which game are you really excited to watch? Ted Since you're all in so let me know, give us some information on the World Baseball Classic. You could be my correspondent.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, well, listen, listen, I don't have a gas obviously. You know your Debbie Downer duty.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: You keep saying that that's a great Uh we got it, Debbie Downer. Yes, we've never heard that phrase before. Thank you, thank you, Ted, appreciate it. Look, I'm just trying to figure it out that guy Ted did not really have a passion for the World Baseball Classic. He just wanted to call in and rip me and call me Debbie Downers. So that proved nothing. Let's go out to Moreno Valley, Eric, maybe you can give us a better argument about where you stand and where we should stand on the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Look, David, it's kind of cool to see like real competition right now during spring training. A little different. I mean, yeah, you got Randio Rosorana, a Cuban guy in Mexico, and I'm a Mexican American, and it's it's just an exhibition. It's it's it's like ice cream before the season starts.
Speaker 2: And what was what was more real? Okay, what was more real of an exhibition? Apollo versus Drago or uh Tokyo Japan versus Taipei. Which one was more real?
Speaker 7: Definitely Apollo.
Speaker 8: Come on.
Speaker 7: Into that big Russian.
Speaker 9: Come on, Dave.
Speaker 5: Here, he died.
Speaker 7: He left it all.
Speaker 4: Up in the ring.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Throw the damn towel, Eric, throw the damn towel. Thank you, man, Thank you for the phone call. Appreciated. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I'm all in with the World Baseball Classic once we see you know, true baseball countries go head to head, but this is so scripted. Don't call me about it until maybe the semi finals. Maybe there's an attractive one in the quarterfinals. I actually think if the Dominican plays Japan with Japan's thin pitching staff, I got the Dominican beating Japan in the quarterfinals. They're not the same team. See see there you go, Eric, I know a little bit about what's going on with the World Baseball Classic. I'm just not as all in as everybody's trying to force us to be. Look, I can I can appreciate USA great major league players going up against Puerto Rico, great major league players but don't try to sell me on Australia versus Taiwan. That's just not or taype Ai. That's not gonna get my juices flowing. I'm sorry. I apologize to those players. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I do I do care about the Dodgers Triple A players because they're really good players and guys that you are going to see during a major league season. And James Tibbs the Third is one of those guys you're going to see. You're already hearing his name talked about. Matt Mney Smith was on vacation for like ten out of the last fourteen days, maybe missed this interview. So here's James Tibbs the Third.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much. I mean, it is an honor to be here. This place is surreal.
Speaker 6: I mean, the guys walking around, you know, the locker room, the staff, it's first class and I'm so happy to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: What's it been like for you? Three different organizations in a matter of months. How have you been able to handle all that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, forty seven days, I think, to be exact, it's been a lot.
Speaker 10: You know, the uh it was.
Speaker 6: It was a hard transition both times, and I think just finding ways to get comfortable, find ways to be you know, comfortable being uncomfortable, you know, learning new people, and just really on the Lord. I mean, at the end of the day, you know, God has gotten me through this, and so I'm so thankful to be here, and I'm so thankful to be a part of this organization and for them to want me, for them to want me to be here, I mean, it's it's a dream come true.
Speaker 2: As a minor league player. Everybody wants to try to put their fingerprints on you guys and maybe tweak something. Being with three different organizations, how have you been able to stay true to yourself as a hitter?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been hard. It's been a learning Kirk.
Speaker 6: You know, first two years and pro or first year, just my second year in pro ball, and so for me to come in here and expect, you know, to try to do everything myself and and you know, there was always places and avenues that we could get better at, and so being open minded to those things and still.
Speaker 10: Sticking true to myself was a huge deal for me.
Speaker 6: You know, I was so blessed you know, Bill Rhymes and I had a conversation early on and it was just like, hey, man, we just want you to be you. And so it was such a beautiful thing to hear that the way to the world I felt I came off my shoulders and just allowing me the freedom to go out here and compete and.
Speaker 10: Do what I do well, and them to.
Speaker 6: Be okay with that and to help me, you know, maximize what I do well and the best avenues for me.
Speaker 10: It was it was a dream come true, you know. And so for them to do those things, it.
Speaker 6: Really helped me understand a what I do well and be how we can you know, work and maybe tweak and make those things even better.
Speaker 2: That's refreshing it here because you hear big leaguers when they're signed by the Dodgers or traded. The one thing that Andrew Freeman always talks about is be yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 10: I mean that was literally the name of the game.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: We felt like we had a good foundation, you know, coming into pro ball, and so for them to come in there and say, hey, we love what you do, we want you to do what you do and and help me to you know, maximize those things.
Speaker 10: It literally was is you know, an answer to prayer. I mean, it was such a beautiful thing.
Speaker 6: And from the top down, they've been nothing but welcoming and helpful and helping me.
Speaker 10: From the players, the staff, you know, the front office.
Speaker 6: Everybody's been so welcoming and it's really made my life a lot easier on the field and makes me feel like can play with freedom, you know, do what I want to do and do it to the best of my ability.
Speaker 2: I went to a school like Florida State. Not only are your teammates with some of the best in the country, but you're playing some of the best and facing pitchers that are the best. What is the biggest jump from playing at a powerhouse college program compared to coming to professional baseball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's just the level execution, the attention to detail, the things that they do well here at the big league or in the big league, in big league camp, in the minor leagues, they try to continue to work on those and and and use those pitches and locate, you know, if they can locate, you know, they're trying to play to their strengths. And so for me in college, it was a little more broad in terms of how they were trying to approach me, and so now as getting into.
Speaker 10: Pro ball, it's a lot more specific.
Speaker 6: They're trying to, you know, figure out what works well for them against me, you know, and so being able to just uh, you know, figure what those things are, you know, and and and work around them and then try to maximize my ability in those situations.
Speaker 10: I think that's probably been the biggest you.
Speaker 6: Know jump for me is the level execution, the mind games, you know, figure out how to play a long with the pitcher, all those things you know, you have to do at a higher level, and so it's been my favorite part of the game, but it's definitely been the most frustrating at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a young guy, it sounds like you have an approach a plan before you even start in the batter's box.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean it goes without saying like if you don't have a plan, you're going up there, you know, in a very tough spot. And so for me, you know, it started a long time ago and even in high school and just really trying to figure out what it means to have an approach, figure out what approach works best for me, and really just go out and use it.
Speaker 10: Stick to it, you know.
Speaker 6: The you know basically, you know, whatever it is, go down, you know, swing it, go down with that approach, and if it works, it works, and if not, we stick to it for the next next at bats.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. And James Tibbs, the third is our guest. You're gonna know his name and you're gonna see him at Dodger Stadium soon. You're right in the middle of the clubhouse. That's where your locker is. When you look to the other side of the room and you see guys like Freddie Freeman. You work next to guys like ta Oscar Hernandez. What's it like to be in this clubhouse with so many guys that have reached the mountaintop year after year.
Speaker 6: You have a lot of people to ask a lot of good questions too, would be the main thing. You know, My whole goal coming into spring training was just soak everything in, be a sponge, you know, write it all down, figure out ways. You know, maybe people do things differently. How does that work for me? You know, maybe they do things in ways I haven't thought before, maybe approaches they haven't thought, you know, I haven't thought before, and so it's really just trying to learn as much as I can figure out, you know, almost add another tool to the toolbox of what you know can allow me to take the next steps and be, you know, in an even better player. And you know, you couldn't ask for a better locker room. You've got hall of famers all over this locker room, and so to be able to just you know, be around them and listen to what their conversations and ask questions, I mean, credit to them. They've been nothing but welcoming in those areas, you know, absolutely answering every question. It's just been a dream come true. I'm so thankful to be here.
Speaker 2: James, thanks a lot for the time. It's great to introduce you to Dodger fans because certainly you are very close to helping this team in the Big League. So thank you for the time, and we look forward to seeing you all spring long.
Speaker 10: Peah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: There is James Tibbs the third, a first round pick by the San Francisco Giants out of Florida State. He was traded to the Red Sox in exchange for Rafael Devers and then the Dodgers were able to make the deal. The deal at the deadline, trading Dustin May to Boston. He was a rental. He became a free agent signed with the Cardinals for James Tibbs the Third and Zach Erhart, who are two outfielders that are gonna start the year at Triple A and at some point if there's an injury. The Dodgers certainly have two guys that are capable to fill in as they are going to start the year at Triple A and be ready. So there you go. You got to learn more about James Tibbs the third. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we're gonna take more phone calls. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Am I missing something about the World Baseball Classic? Do you have your DVR set for you know, the first round of whatever has taking place? I think, uh, the USA is playing what Brazil probably Italy softball team early anyway, eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. And also we'll hear from another young Dodger that may make his major league debut this year, left hander Jackson Ferris. So a lot to get to between now at eight o'clock right here on Dodger Talk and five to seventy LA Sports thanks to James Tibbs, the third for his time. We're gonna hear from Jackson Ferris in a moment. And also you're gonna hear from former Dodger and now San Diego padre Walker Buehler, who made us first start for the Friars today. And it's gonna be very strange when Walker Bueller faces the Dodgers during the regular season, whether it's at Peco or at Dodgers Stadium. So uh, Walker Bueller, his legacy is cemented and Odger history, but it is going to be really bizarre to see him in person wearing that uniform. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to see me Valley. Will you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. Thanks for calling, Will. How are you.
Speaker 9: I'm well, Dave. I'm gonna assume you're doing well as well. Yes, actually driving right now. I'm driving right now to Camel background. We're gonna get there tonight and I wanna watch a game tomorrow, so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Look at you where you stop in blythe Are you gonna stop in Indio.
Speaker 9: While we're passing Indio right now. I don't know. We're road warriors. Maybe we can make it without stopping.
Speaker 2: We'll see, all right, all right, so you're trying to get to the night game tomorrow.
Speaker 9: That's right, That's exactly right. So but I did have just two things. One about World Baseball Classic. What I'm kind of excited about is just hearing the MLB players talk about the Classic, how they seem very excited. So that kind of makes me excited. But you're right, though, first round I don't care. But then, like the NBA, I'm not that excited about the first round of the NBA. I kind of get excited when it gets further on. So that's kind of my take on the Old Baseball Classic. I kind of agree with you in the later on Malaiti.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's fair, that's fair. I think that is the best part of it. Getting guys like Will Smith and Cal Rawley to be the two catchers and you really prove who's better than the other and just picking each other's brains, and same with Schooble and schemes for them and Roman Anthony and Aaron Judge. Though that is the best part of it. But for the fans, I just don't see the appeal that they that they're shooting for. I just don't see it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that I think you're right. I think you're right. But but we'll see, We'll see what happens. Maybe we'll get an upset in one of those first rounds. And that's why you know they play the game. But I did have a question. I wanted your take on it. At the beginning of spring training, to Oscar was talking about he wants to be a Gold Glover this year, and then you know, first game, I think he struggled a little bit. Do you think some of the young guys like TIBs or some of the guys are top prospects? Would is there a scenario where the Dodgers would pull away from ti Oscar if he struggles defensively, possibly trade him and bring in some of these other players in the outfield.
Speaker 2: You know, I would say nobody's untouchable outside of Sho Heo, Tani and Yamamoto at this point. Will but I really do believe Taoska is going to have a big year, and if that happens, you can't trade him unless you're really desperate for starting pitching at some point in time. But I'm a big Taoscar Hernandez fan. He means a lot to Andy Pajz. Pa Hez follows him around throughout camp and when ta Oscar plays in spring training games, Paz plays, So he just means a lot to the club. How the mix and him coming into camp and the condition he did just sends a message to everybody that it's a new year, and I just think he's gonna have a big year.
Speaker 9: Awesome, I hope. So I'm a big ti Oscar fan as well. And you know his defensive play at times was cringey. But would you really credit to him being injured last year and if he's in great health, you don't think that'll be a concern or an issue for the Dodgers this year.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he was accused of not hustling or trying and it was because of his groin injury. That's the reason why. From June on, But left field is a better spot for him and he could just focus on offense and not have the pressure of having to play defense in right field.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's good. I'm hoping all that works out. Because yeah, I love his energy and he's a he Rakes. So you know, hope, hope it all works out. I think we're in a good place. It seems very quiet in spring training, not out of drama, which is fantastic. I think, you know if that's exactly what we need for the long season ahead.
Speaker 2: All right, well, enjoy the game tomorrow night. The Dodgers should have the stars out for that night game at Camelback Ranch, So enjoy. There, he goes Will on the I ten headed to Camelback Ranch. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Monrovia. Danny, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Danny?
Speaker 8: Hey, so damn good?
Speaker 9: How you doing?
Speaker 10: Brother?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Thank you?
Speaker 8: So I'm out in Colton now. Grew up Monrovi do I got to represent man? That's where I from.
Speaker 2: So all good?
Speaker 8: Well quick man, Sorry, I'll try so like if there.
Speaker 2: Was a World Baseball Classic, you would, uh you would play for team Monrovia and not team Colton. Is that what you're telling me? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, I'll play I play for I'd play for the I'd play for the Mothers. I play for the team mom on Mama's boy, I hear you represent some moms' That's where I'm going.
Speaker 2: Same here, ja oscar Bro real quick.
Speaker 8: It wasn't even touches, but this I've heard it so many times. Dude, Tay Oscars love Bro so simple, eyes of a child, the heart of like he's a true man. To me, represents baseball. He's like he just to me, his the look in his eyes, his love of the game, the work he puts in. A dude that comes that savage genetically and it's so gentle but such a killer man. I think he does so much more than he does on the field everything. And these guys are all pros. I can't criticize any of these dudes that are playing at the top of the tibby top. I played baseball and I'm they're geez anyway, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you see him in the dugout, I mean the sunflower seeds that's taking a life of its zone. I mean, that's the best celebration the Dodgers have.
Speaker 8: And he's he's he's I feel like he never loses sight that they're they're grown men playing a kid's game and they're making so much money and there's so much pressure on him, especially he plays like la Man and always the expectation to win and be able to stay so just loose like that and still remembers the game, you know, I think I just I think he does a lot for the team. Same thing with you.
Speaker 10: Know, Keith k A.
Speaker 8: Just guys like that, I think you're invaluable just for energy. Even like I said, all these guys are pros, but still just like that to that energy is I feel.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, Danny, because the Dodgers have a lot of low energy guys and they added another one in Kyle Tucker's. So you need to have guys like Rojas, key A, taoscar Hernandez and Muncy that show emotion. That that that really do try to bring a lot of emotion. You just can't have the strength and conditioning coach who does a great job in the dugout to be the guy that's the loudest and most energetic. You just that just doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 8: That's but that's the Dodgers so much more than anything, I'm just grateful to be Dodgers fan. This is the Golden Area, Golden Era, man. You know Losorda is drinking my thighs and party. You know, he's out there sober and every day. I'm it is a great time to be a Dodger fan. That's all I know. I'm gonna enjoy a ride.
Speaker 2: Why, that's right, enjoy that three peat ride? All right? All right, Danny, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right. I want to share with you what Walker Bueller had to say after his first start today. Walker Buehler went three innings with four strikeouts and one walk and told reporters that his elbow does not hurt for the first time in the last hasn't hurt in the last four weeks, and it's been a couple of years since he hasn't had that right pitching elbow barking after Tommy John surgery. Here's what New San Diego padre and Dodger World Series hero Walker Buehler had to say today.
Speaker 11: Trying to get some rhythm back on the delivery. I think in years past, you know, I just was kind of stuck in this rehabbish throw and have had a really tough time getting out of it and had a really good offseason. You know, I have had a really good and training in terms of kind of talking through the delivery and getting my arm back up to the height that I want it to be. In terms of arm angle, I think I've been down about eight or ten degrees for the past two or three years from where I was.
Speaker 2: When I was really good.
Speaker 11: And you know, I don't think you can force that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: I think the.
Speaker 11: Delivery has to do it. And I feel good with where that all is right now. So now we're kind of refining and hoping to get a few miles an hour out of it, but other than that, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Walker Bueller earlier today and thanks to ninety seven point three the fan for bringing us that look he's making the Padres team and A J Preller may have looked into a guy that is primed for a comeback this year. Now that still remains to be seen. The Red Sox thought they were going to get a comeback season from Bueller when they paid him twenty one million dollars. There were ups and downs. There were a lot of downs, but it seems like he's come to the revelation that he just can't rely on his fastball. He's got to come up with different pitches, including a really good curveball. And I know the Padres pitching coach, Ruben Yebla, is well respected. Guys love him and he seems to connect with a lot of pitchers. I know Blake Snell told me how much he helped him in his career, and I would imagine that he's going to do the same and already has connected with Walker Buehller. So who knows. You might have two guys that are primed for comeback seasons in the NL West and Walker Bueller and Nolan Aaronatto eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Aaron and El Segundo. Before you get to your World Baseball Classic, take aeron. Have you come to grips that Walker Buehller is wearing a Padre uniform.
Speaker 12: It's a testable, but you know, he's got to do what he's got to do and if he if he's shilling really good, you know, I wish him the best.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 12: I like Ti Oscar in left field again this year for sure. Uh, he's felt more comfortable over there, and I like what the other colors were saying about it. And like you said, he comes in in wait and looking good. So I'm happy for that.
Speaker 2: All right. What about the World Baseball Classic? You in on that you're as excited for the World Baseball Classic as you are for ti Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 12: Well, the closer it came, I was like, Okay, she always going to go do his thing and whatever. But my wife, she's from Nicaragua.
Speaker 2: My wife, Yeah, Nicara, I get it. Are they a baseball country? Who's the most famous Nicaraguan to h to come out of to play Major League Baseball.
Speaker 12: That's a good question, my man, A good question.
Speaker 2: See that's my point. That's my point. That's why I can't get excited.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well I'm not really excited, but I am excited to see what they can do, like how far they can get, how they're gonna produce in the Classic.
Speaker 2: You know, I just found I just found the most famous Nicaraguin to play in Major League Baseball, El Presidente Dennis Martinez, who pitched a perfect game at Dodgers Stadium in nineteen ninety one. I forgot he was from Nicaragua, So there you go. You could take that home, Aaron and be a hero to your wife. Thanks to me.
Speaker 12: Well, she's more of a boxer fan.
Speaker 2: So oh see here you just proved my point. Nobody in Nicaragua was watching the World Baseball Classic. They are, all right, let me know if any of her relatives are calling the house or textinger over a World Baseball Classic game, let me know. I'm serious. I want to know, all right, all right, thank.
Speaker 12: You for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Call back anytime, Aaron, Thank you so much. Yeah, I want to know if Aaron's wife is getting live text from her family in Nicaragua watching the World Baseball Classic, and Nicaragua is in where are they going to be losing? Which pool? Which pool are they losing in? I'm looking at it Pool D in Miami. Yeah, I don't see them moving forward past Venezuela or the Dominican Republic. I'm sorry. I feel like the Dominican Republic may have a couple of better players than team Nicaragua. Wow, all right, Like I said, I'm in once it starts to get to USA versus Dominican or Japan versus the Dominican I'm in on that. But don't try to tell us these are legitimate teams. This is so scripted to have USA, Japan, the Dominican Puerto Rico all playing against each other at some point. So I'll be all in for the twenty twenty eight Olympics at Dodger Stadium. Major league players playing in the Olympics, That's what I'm ready for. I am very much for international baseball. I actually went to see Italy play in the nineteen eighty four Olympics. I saw them play. I saw USA play at Dodger Stadium, so I'm very pro international baseball in the Olympics. All right, that'll do it for us Tonight. On Dodger Talk, I'm sorry we couldn't share the Jackson Ferris interview with you again, but you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can find all of our pregame interviews during spring training and on Dodger Talk. And you can live stream Dodger Talk and all Dodger games in the LA area with the iHeart Radio app if you're out there in Phoenix. I did actually try to listen to a game out there and it got through to me maybe the geofence and I slipped through the geo fencing, but yeah, try it. Try to live stream games when you're out there at Camelback Ranch, and I guess on the iHeartRadio app. When you're listening to Dodger Talk. You don't have to call if you're shy, but you could send a message by pressing the speaker button right there and you can rip me all you want and I'll play it. It'll be great. All right, We'll talk to you Saturday. That's our next broadcast, Dodgers Rockies. Our coverage begins at four point thirty. EMT Sheen and Kyle Hurt will join us first pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Neverritt on the simulcast at five oh five. Thanks to Ronnie Fascio has had a great spring training for us, and thanks to you for listening. We will talk to you Saturday. Have a great rest of your week. Sea