Speaker 1: I don't have to tell you how dang cold was outside. It's gonna be dang cold for another couple of weeks at this point. And everything's well and good until you get that Duke energy built. We saw duke hike rates over the summer, and after the last cold samp we had, it was brutal for a lot of people. And we're talking a substantial increase in our energy costs. Wait till we get hit that this two week stretch. It's gonna make it even worse. Crying uncle, how do you make it better? How do you balance out the need to stay alive inside your home and also keep those energy costs down? And furthermore, what is the optimal setting for your thermostat? What's the right temperature on That is David Waski. He's the home editor for CNET and joining the show this morning. How are you welcome.
Speaker 2: I'm well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So lots of unpack here. Energy costs are going up. I think nationally is something like four percent. We got hit over the summer here in the Tri State and as well as Kentucky and Indiana.
Speaker 3: So what is that magic number?
Speaker 1: By the way, is that I've always heard sixty eight is that still the swee spot?
Speaker 2: Sixty eight is still the sweet spot? Can you know, manage that temperature and not go too much higher? You're liable to shave some money off your monthly energy bill. One of the keys that is really keeping it consistent, especially when you're home and up. Dropping that temperature a few degrees when you go to bed or leave the house is okay. But if you go much lower then let's say six to seven degrees, you're going to spend a lot more energy getting back up to that comfort zone and it won't be worth it.
Speaker 1: Is that based on actual energy efficiy science and comfort studies are just like an arbitrary number.
Speaker 2: No, it's based on studies gunned. You know a lot of people will say that they, you know, prefer to keep the house higher in the seventies, but you know, the research has shown that that sixty eight degrees is very adjustable. People can adjust to it pretty easy, and you know there's a lot of positive feedback for that particular number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, about older people like Brian Culembs for example, tends to be cold when it's like seventy seventy two degrees, So what about that. I mean, that's the reality, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, listen, it's not a one size fits all solution for everybody. There are people that are just going to need to keep the house a little bit warmer. But you will be surprised if can, you know, maybe little by little crank that number down a few degrees, you might be surprised at how quickly you adjust to a bit of a lower number.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: Now we live in the day where everyone has a well most everyone has a programmable thermostat, and that actually pays yourself, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 2: So the thermostats not only give you, you know, really useful real time feedback that they can you know, alert you to any sort of fluctuations which might signal that your thermostat is in the wrong place. Another really useful feature of the smart thermostat you can adjust it, you know, remotely. So let's see you left for a long weekend and you forgot to turn the thermost down, thermostat down, you know, to the to the optimal I'm not home temperature. You can do it remotely. You can also get it cranked out before you get home, so you're not wasting as much energy trying to get the thermostat.
Speaker 3: So high so quickly.
Speaker 2: So you know, incremental increases and decreases in the thermostat are much better for energy efficiency than let's say, going from fifty to sixty eight in one hour.
Speaker 3: And now wonderful too.
Speaker 1: Like NaSTA, I just got an Echo B for our house we moved into because I wanted that control and that comfort. But these are the self learning ones too as well. And that thing was I pretty close to two hundred dollars, very very expensive. How long before something I have to pay for itself?
Speaker 2: You know, it kind of depends on your climate and how.
Speaker 3: Much energy you're using.
Speaker 2: But our smart thermostot expert Tyler Lacomac, you get crunched some numbers, and you know, for some people, let's say you have for so oil and colder climate, I mean you could make that money back up in half a year, if not long.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And the reason I went with the Echo by David Watsk is because you guys had seen it, said that's your highest rated smart thurstad, So I listened to you guys.
Speaker 3: Had seen it.
Speaker 2: Oh, we appreciate that a lot of work went into making those picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of the geeky sciences of it too. But you guys are on top of stuff, all right, and that's a smart but but you know how many people have a smart thermostat that they're like, I don't know how this thing works the settings. Eventually, especially with the NaSTA or the Equoby, it kind of learns and it's a mystery to me as how that happens. How do they learn where you are and what your patterns are. It doesn't have a.
Speaker 2: Camera on it, no, it has catched to your your phone, so it uses a lot of that geo location technology to keep cabs on where you are and what's going on. But even more so, it learns your routines. So it learns when you're changing the thermostat and you know how that's how that sort of squares against what the the tempera joined the house was and learn those patterns so it can make suggestions to keep things running a bit more efficiently and keep you in the comfort zone consistently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool because the one I had is a couple sensors. You put like one sensor go in the bedroom and we have an upstairs downstairs, so in the lower level we put one down there, and that is when it senses when you're down there, it'll change the the heating or cooling patterns based on where you are in the house at the time, and that allegedly saves you money.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: And I know part of this thing too is a lot of the smart thermostats or they recommend and you guys have seen I recommend you want to turn to your thermostat during the day back like seven to ten degrees when you're not home and for the time you're gone, if it's eight ten hours a day, whatever it is, you can save some money. And and that's is that significant chunk of change, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again it's all be you know, kind of dependent on your fuel, energy source and and your climate. And yeah, significant, About ten percent is the kind of rough number if you are consistent about turning that down when you're gone for more than five six hours. Not every everybody remembers to do it, but a smart service that can certainly help you can get that set on a schedule and start taking money on energy.
Speaker 1: And placement is another issue too. Typically, you know, buy house, they place it on a wall somewhere, but sometimes I've talked to HVAC contractors David Watski that said, yeah, you need to relocate this thermo set.
Speaker 3: It's in the wrong place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I mean the main the big thing is anywhere with you know, temperature fluctuations, major temperature fluctuations is going to throw things off pretty wildly. Any any drafted yours. Windows that are consistently open for any reason, kitchens are are a no go. Bathrooms or a no go. You really want an interior wall somewhere that people are Often a room that you know is is uh is used often. A living room is great, certain hallways, but yeah, first floor uh, no temperature fluctuations and an interior wall is key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep it away from doors and obviously in windows. All we talked about that. Where are you on space heaters?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: I think space heaters are great. They're really good for their shoulder season. So let's say you have a large house, you only use part of it instead of firing up that whole house heat. I mean a lot of people have zone heating, some people don't. A space heater can be a great foil for those early and late season you know, bloated energy bills. They're not a They're not a replacement for whole house eater in the middle of winter, but they really can keep you from having to turn on the heat during those shoulder seasons. We found that the average space heater costs about twenty cents to run per hour. You compare that with the average size home, and you know, for oil and forest air heat, that's about triple the cost of running a space heater. So if you can, if you can use it as a kind of you know, of a foil against that those early cold spells or chili spells, it's it's going to be a big money saver for.
Speaker 1: Someone's listenings going, well, why don't I just turn my furnace off and get like twenty space heaters?
Speaker 2: Well, twenty space heaters. You can do the math twenty per hour to run each one. The numbers unfortunately don't work.
Speaker 1: Gotcha whole house but an area you're in a lot.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, exactly, that's right. And for folks who do like it warm, as you mentioned, you know, sixty hs feels a little too chili, you know, adding a space heater especially affortable and that you can maybe bring bring around the house with you to different rooms. You plan on spending time in is a much better option than you know, cranking that heat up to eighty that's just going to kill you again. Again, it depends on your your your fuel site, but in general that that's going to be a safe right.
Speaker 1: Is it a false economy though, if it's a fire hazard, because you know, having some knowledge of this stuff, I know that space heaters are a big cause of uh, you know, home fires and the like, or apartment fires because you know, somebody may say it too close to drape or something like that, and the tipover thing can be a concern. But today they all have a sensor and it doesn't allow you to tip it over. It cuts the power off. But the firefighters will tell you that that is a concern. And you get space heaters out there, kerosene heaters and the like, there's a danger to it. And you get lulled on a sense of complacency because it has a tipover function, but you gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't recommend any of the kerosene models. I think they're honestly even hard to find these days. They've gotten a lot safer. As you said, the sensor or our sensors are are really helpful tip over and turn off. They'll often turn off if they're if they're on for more than a few hours, just in case, you know, you forget to have it on. But that that being said, space here safety is really important. We have a bunch of of articles we published on space heater safety. You don't want to plug them into UH extension cords ever, you want to give them their own outlet. You want to make sure they're, as you said, in a space where they're not near any flammable drapes or or or other materials, and keep an eye on them. Again, they're not a full winter solution. You don't want to have them running overnight while you're sleeping, so they should be used sparingly. But the good news is that they're not expensive. So you know to test one out and see if it does work to help trim your energy bills. Do it cautiously. We found that it can be helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the is there a typical I mean, because it's a different time, right, there's a ceramic ones, there's the one with the infrared. Is there one that's more preferable from you guys, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Infrared is probably the safest. I like the coils. I find that they generate heat a bit better than the infrared. There's a particular model right now, and I'm blinking on the name. Sorry, it's Dreo. Just came out with a really great coil infrared heater and it has an oscillating feature like a fan, so it blows, it blows the hot air all over the room. I was actually just testing it over the weekend. I had some family in town. I had this not heated finished space above the garage, and it warmed up that probably six hundred square foot space in thirty minutes or less, and we were all toasty warm. So they have gotten a lot more efficient, a lot more powerful, and a lot more safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: David Watski was seen at He's a Home in Kitchen managing editor or talking about saving money this season. As you know that Duke Energy hiked their rates pretty high this summer and we're going to start feeling it here with the colder months here and uh uh, and setting that the thermostats sixty seems to be the magic temperature, and you can get some space heaters and make sure the thermostats are as smart smart thermostats work really well as too. But of course, the core of this thing is the h V A C C system. And at what point should you be thinking about replacing that? What's typically the service life or something like that.
Speaker 2: We depends on the system that you have. What what what key year or a year is to make sure that it is runing as efficiently as possible, and that means getting you know, professionals coming to inspect it, replacing filters once a year, having your ducks cleaned is important, something a lot of people don't think about, but those those really can block things up and cause major spikes in your in your monthly totals. So be sure to take advantage of any you know, service contracts that you have with your energy supplier and and see what can be done by you yourself to make sure things are running as smoothly as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and today there's furnaces now that I think that the best one is as like ninety nine percent efficiency. You're seeing, you know, ninety seven percent ninety eight, ninety nine percent, which is incredible compared to where things were maybe fifteen years ago. So that maybe and it's it's certainly a huge cost right now, They like with anything. Over the summer with tariffs, we saw the replacement costs now just spike going way way up. So but again you're throwing moneyway and heating bills could go towards a new high efficiency system. I mean some people will bite the bullet and do that. But yeah, you know, make sure that the filter is a big one too, just making sure it's clean. You know, I don't even to get a year out of a filter, maybe if had electrostatic one or something like that, but you want to be looking at it once a month just to make sure. And doing the biannual service plan has been great. I highly recommend that seeing you know, things break down the way they do. They come in the fall, they come in the spring and clean it out and then if something goes south, you're in, you know, one of the first people online for service. So getting that service contract is affordable that it's a good way to keep your system running and saving you money, because if you don't, you're just throwing money literally out the.
Speaker 4: Flu Absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, David Watski's seen at home and kitchen managing get her. Thanks again for the time, really important stuff. Maybe you save a few bucks by hearing this today, David, thanks again. All right, thank Scot be well my friend.
Speaker 3: Good to have you back. Good to have you back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're thinking about the energy bill that's going to come this next couple of weeks. You better gird your loins for that. When that, I mean, honestly, as expensive as the last cold snap we had was. I wonder people's like two weeks of this is going to be. Like I wonder if I you know that vacation I was planning, I know that long weekend I was having. I got to pay my duke bill. It's gotten that expensive and this cold snap definitely failed. So do everything you possibly can to keep all that money in your pocket. And I would say I highly suggest if you're going to bite the bullet outside of a furnace, which is extremely expensive. The programmable thermostats and some of the early ones that worked, okay, like the need it learns where you are on nest thermoistats. Well, I got the echo Bee model that I have now with the two sensors. Pretty expensive. But still, you know, I've been looking at how much money I've spent, and god, I kind of noticed even in the.
Speaker 3: New house a little bit of a difference.
Speaker 1: So over time, I think I have no problem investing and someone's going to pay me back, and I think that's going to pay dividends for sure. Although it does tell you, like remember in Duke, I don't think i'd do it anymore. Duke would send you every month that bill that would say, well, this is where your energy is compared to other houses in your neighborhood. Not about you, but mine looked like I was leaving all the doors and windows open, like going crazy, and that was driving me nustrual. I don't do that anymore, I thin, because I've tossed so many people off and the same is true with this. It gives you a month by month breakdown, says, okay, here's how much energy you spend versus other houses, not in your neighborhood but around the country. Or they sell these thermostats, and you know, I'm like in the bottom fifty percent list, I'm not in the bottom twenty five, you know below. And it got me through school, so I was just, you know, just a below average student. So I guess I should be fine with it. Either academics are eating and cooling. I'm about the same. I'd like to be in that top you know ninety percent That means I have to spray foam the entire I'm gonna have to live inside a tent, inside a tent basically for that to happen. Put a dome over my house. The only woman knew that top ninety percent and name no one saving money these days, ask for sure with this cold snap. Got to get to a news update here in just second. Scott's Loan on seven hundred WLW. Good morning, I'm Scott's Loan. This is seven hundred wwty. Thanks for checking out the show on air and of course streaming anywhere you go. Reportable these days on the iHeartRadio app and you can catch a show afterwards too. It's podcast will make get easy for it, Easy Easy Easy. Today is an historic day because this landmark moment, this tragedy occurred forty years ago today.
Speaker 5: It happened just over one minute inch of flight.
Speaker 1: One minute fifteen seconds flantidi twenty nine hundred pet per second, altitude nine aautical mouth down Ray's distant seven nautical.
Speaker 3: Miles from mission control. Silence. Then the Bland chilling report.
Speaker 6: We have a report from the flight dynamics officer that the vehicle has exploded.
Speaker 1: Flight director confirms that we're looking at checking with the recovery forces to see what can be done.
Speaker 5: At this point, a search effort couldn't begin for some fifteen minutes after this debris.
Speaker 3: They said, just kept raining from the sky.
Speaker 5: The head of the Space Shuttle program had no explanations, just sorrow at the tragedy.
Speaker 3: I vividly remember when that happened.
Speaker 1: For a lot of folks, it might have been school kids, and still even more folks don't remember it because they happened outside their lifespan. But I'll remember that like I remember nine to eleven. And how do we get to this point? We've got this great space race going out right now, of course privately speaking, but everything we know about space and how to get to outer space and travel is written in blood, writing about it in the Burning Lewis Kevin Cook, Kevin, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hi, Scot, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine?
Speaker 1: Hopefully I set that up well enough for you to tying those things together. But I think there's something to be said about that, right, is that we're in the new space race, but it's private space race between ultra the ultra rich doesn't mean they're going to cut corners, but man, you know, when you're competitive like this, these are the things that happen.
Speaker 6: Right. I think you set it up just right, and it's an exciting time in space exploration. I think these are eventually going to be public private partnerships. I think we'll see SpaceX and NASA working together, Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic and NASA working together. We're gonna have Moon missions again, and in before too many decades past a Mars mission with human crew on it. And there is going to be schedule pressure again. There are going to be engineer's warning, well, I have concerns about this or that aspect of the machinery, and again, these things are going to crop up. There is a program at NASA now called the Lessons Learned program that encourages listeners to remember things like disasters like the Challenger accident, so that we don't have such a thing happen again.
Speaker 1: Well, and the lesson here coming out of the Burning Blue and the Challenger disaster, is that why CHRISTA. Mcculloff was on that flight to begin with.
Speaker 6: That's true, it was it had aspects of a publicity effort on NASA's part after Sally r made worldwide news in nineteen eighty three, is the first American woman in space. Shuttle flights came to seem routine, and NASA was eager to have the teacher in space, the first civilian to fly on a Shuttle mission, and Christa mcculliff, to her great credit, I think understood that she was wonderful on television. She was since here. She was herself, but she had a purpose to a cause. She didn't want to get famous. She wanted to promote the cause of school teachers. She was an active school teacher, a great one. She felt that teachers were overworked and underpaid. I think that's true even more so today. So she inspired an awful lot of people to become teachers. I think that's one of the things that we can take from a story like the Challenger disaster in nineteen eighty six. There are a lot of teachers, dedicated teachers who followed her example who are still teaching today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that moment. I think we all did it. If you're old enough too, or if you just go back. It was an excellent documentary on this. I think it was on Netflix or maybe HBO, but yeah, Netflix, it was great about that whole story too, because, man, you remember what it was like being a little kid, and you know everyone was following, here's a teacher.
Speaker 3: I've got a teacher. It's like my teacher.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: You could identify as a kid with Christa mccauliffe and every kid in America at that moment that morning, that cold morning sat there and watched it on TV when they rolled a big old CRT two TV in the classroom and everyone's watching the Challenger and or everyone clapped them so excited, and then there was a catastrophe. And you want to talk about traumatic moment in your childhood, that's it right there.
Speaker 6: That's true. I've encountered so many people who remember exactly where they were as I do when we started to see what had happened. The one thing that the television documentary did not address was the fact that when that awful explosion happened and the pitchfork in the sky that we all saw on television, that was not the end of the astronauts. They survived that moment that was the explosion of the fuel tank. They survived for another probably two full minutes and forty five seconds trying to regain control of the craft, which was impossible as it turned out. I think they were heroic in any case, and trying to reconstruct what happened after the exposion, between that and the moment that actually killed the Challenger astronauts, which was when the falling of Shuttle struck the Atlantic at two hundred and seven miles per hour. Reconstructing those moments was one of the more grueling and also fascinating aspects of working on the Burning Blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on that day in January nineteen eighty six and watching that so they were alive, didn't die instantly. Were they aware that they were about to crash into the ocean at over two hundred miles an hour, which is fatal.
Speaker 6: It's likely that they were. That there was no escape, That there were ejector seats in the very first Shuttle missions that became impractical later, that you can't have seven people ejecting, There was no escape, there were no parachutes. Those escape methods were built in after the Challenger disaster, and they're going to need to be part of these new efforts that we make, I think to the near future missions to the Moon and Mars to learn the lesson of the Challenger disaster and not repeat it.
Speaker 1: What's scary is listening to that audio, the cockpit voice recorder, and I think it was Michael Smith that that saw that basically saw the catastrophic moment happen. And I think the last words on that recording were something like oh no, or it.
Speaker 6: Was oh he said. And then for weeks after the accident, it was believed that the last words from the Challenger flight deck were Roger go and throttle up. It was only later that it was understood it was assembled the audio from the flight deck that Michael Smith must have seen something just in the instance before all of the electricity and the communications went out. Uh, and his last words were, oh, that is the last thing that that was ever heard from the ass Challenger astronauts.
Speaker 1: Kevin Cook, the Burning Blue, the un storied, untold Sir of Chrystal mcauliffin, the NASA Challenger disaster.
Speaker 3: But there's a lesson, just a history.
Speaker 1: It's also private based travel now with the Bezos and the Branson's and the Musks of the world, and you know that there's tremendous, tremendous pressure to perform here too. That was the lesson from the NASA Challenger disaster is there are a lot of warning signs ahead of this. One of those is the fact that, as I recall that the launch itself was delayed many times because of weather or other issues.
Speaker 6: Correct, that's just right. And there was the debacle the day before in which the launch was scrubbed because a bolt malfunctioned in the hatch store, a bolt that you could have replaced that you'd gone to the local hardware store. Nobody could get to the local hardware store from the launch pad that day. They had to wait until the next day. The next day was far colder, dangerously cold. And yet the decision is made to launch anyway because of terrible schedule pressure, partly because of embarrassment to the agency, because of what had happened in the scrubs that came before this. These are all things that are going to have to be born in mind by people who are making launch decisions in our near future.
Speaker 1: If the weather were warmer that day in January. Now, to keep in mind, what January twenty eighth, nineteen eighty six. You're in Florida, but extremely cold by Florida standards. If it would have been a few degrees warmer, would we have not had this disaster.
Speaker 6: I think it's likely, and there's certainly a great chance that had it been normal weather for Florida that January. There had been other missions that something similar happened with the old rings. There was what was called blow by, and certainly it might have happened had it been colder in previous missions. I think it's one of the unknowables, but there is a very good chance that they would have been lucky again, as as more than two dozen previous Shuttle missions. Uh, two dozen previous missions had had had some trouble, many of them, but they made it back. That's why the Nobel Prize winning physicist Richard Fineman said that previous missions had essentially been playing Russian roulette with the astronauts.
Speaker 1: Well, the issue then came down they had a president a presidential commission. I believe on the on the O ring, right, and so the O ring you have the solid rocket boosters and that is the that's what's powering you into space at several hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you have a leak in one of these rubber O rings, you got problems. And uh, they uncovered a momo from Morton Thaia call the the engineers, the project engineers on this thing. And if you saw the documentary in the book, you detail this about engineers screaming for help for please, like we're going to have a catastrophic failure.
Speaker 3: People are going to die. Uh in that teme to fruition. Take me through that part of it.
Speaker 6: Well, there was a teleconference the night before in which the engineers said, uh that they had they had great worries and they would not sign on to to a launch. The next morning, their managers pressured them to uh to change their minds, and eventually they did. It's one of those things that one has to if you put yourself in their shoes, if you could say I've got great concerns about this, then then the managers may say, well, what about the last dozen missions that went off without a hitch. You were in a terrible position if if you if you uh say I'm against this, and then they launched anyway and nothing bad happens. They were certainly vindicated by circumstance. And that's why there's a program called the Lessons Learned program in NASA now saying we've got to support engineers, support people who are willing to say this is too dangerous, let's fix the problem before we launched.
Speaker 1: Well, there were signs with other missions, right and tests that that indicated the lowering was failing.
Speaker 6: Correct, that that's right, and the the idea that that one says. Well. Uh, they they looked like they were failing, but nobody got killed in the previous visions. That's the Russian roulette aspect of the they came back. There was a task force studying the old ring problem at more than diacol, studying and studying, but uh, it wasn't seen as important enough to delay, and he launches while the studying was done.
Speaker 1: Explain explain how the rubber o ring and the cold weather go to go.
Speaker 3: What caused the explosion?
Speaker 6: It's stiffened as Uh. Richard Feinman demonstrated so beautifully on television during the Presidential Commission. Uh. He had a glass of ice water. He got a piece of rubber from the old ring difted in there. Showed how it's not as elastic when it's cold, like like a lot of other things. Uh, it gets denser, Uh and not flexible.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: So it was in the cold, it was unable to to uh to prevent the leak. The leak leads to a plume of flame that then burns right through that didn't hide and outer covering of the external tank, and that causes the giant explosion we saw on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we finally have some closure in that too. But I think the interesting part about it is really how little the families were awarded.
Speaker 6: Yes, and I mean I think it's hard to sue the government, and several of the crew members were members of the armed forces. That plays into it as well. There were settlements. They didn't make news because there really wasn't much space program news in the two and a half years after the Challenger disaster. That's when things were being put back together in a safer way. Of course, before long, shuttle flights will seem routine again, pressure will increase to launch and that leads to similar problems and the Columbia disaster.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The relationship there between the Columbia disaster and this is what.
Speaker 6: Well, it's the fact that lessons learns need to be observed. As Mike Tinelli and that's a wonderful person who runs the Lessons Learned program down at Kennedy Space Center talks about it's similar we have a presidential commission. It's a little bit like driving a past the wreck on the highway. You see the smoke, you see the ambulances, and then you're driving with your hands at ten or two for a little while. But before long, as he says, they're back to having your foot on the wheel and the other foot out of the window. If you forget the crucial importance of safety in the preparation for a launch. That's what happened with Columbia after Challenger, and that's what future planners are going to have to bear in mind as we get to remarkably exciting and complicated missions to the Moon.
Speaker 3: And tomorrow, somebody's going to die in the future.
Speaker 1: It's found to happen again, because yeah, we may learn the lessons from history, but there's tremendous pressure. And look what led to the death of the Challenger crew, right had we got to put chrystalcoll on their teacher because you know what, now all of a sudden, school kids are getting interested, we get them hooked, their parents will be interested. Hey great, we're putting someone on there for the only reasons. It's a pr move. I don't know what research a teacher can do in space, but nonetheless there's an every man component to that.
Speaker 3: It's marketing, is what this is.
Speaker 1: And then the pressure to launch, to launch, to launch, because we want to see chrystalmacall off in space ended in tragically in her death.
Speaker 3: We did the same thing with Challenger to some degree.
Speaker 1: As well, with private space missions happening in the near future, at some point people are going to die again, aren't they.
Speaker 6: Well, Elon Munk seems to think so. It is a risky operation. It's a risky thing to do with space exploration. I think the job of NASA, the agency, as well as it's private partners. I think these will be public private partnerships the missions, especially when we're talking about Mars. I think one recognizes the risk and the likelihood that people may die. But for those preparing for missions like that, your job is to do all you possibly can to prevent that, to make them as safe as possible. That lesson was forgotten before Challenger, and even.
Speaker 1: With the technology of the way it is because Eli I must have said, well, we can't have a it's not like you have an airline pilot fly fifty sixty missions. The human body can't withstand that. So solving that is through autonomous meaning self driving aircraft, self driving spacecraft. All right, that's all well and good, and we have more technology and monitors and the things we did, but you still can't get past the fact that that's an incredibly traumatic procedure for any airframe to go through, and that is launching, relaunching and making something a regularly scheduled flight. Ultimately, that's what they want to do here physically. Is that possible for any aircraft?
Speaker 6: H It's sure difficult. And again, the spacecraft has so many parts. The space level was the most complicated machine ever built. Well, when you have a lot of parts, Murphy's Law stares you in the face every day with every decision. That's what that's what the Elon musk, that's what visos, that's what Richard Branson, that's what face looking forward. And the lesson is it's difficult, it's complicated, it's dangerous, it's potentially lethal. These are things that need to be borne in mind. Just before the word go it is given to to send somebody into space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's gonna be interesting too. At some point there's going to be a failure once again. I don't think that means we stop trying. It means you learn from those lessons. But if the lessons keep getting repeated, as it started with the Challenger, then I guess that that's also human nature too. We have to accept a certain amount of casualties if this is the price, if this is the goal. Kevin Cook, The Burning Blue, The Untold Stir of Crystal Calf and NASA Challenger Disaster.
Speaker 3: Thanks again for the time, good luck with the book.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Scott.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, and it's good to be on WLW. I grew up listening to to Al Michaels and then Marty Brenneman and Joe Dunsallomons Big Red Machine.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: How about that? So you're India. We're in Indiana.
Speaker 6: Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Oh, Indianapolis. Okay, very good. Yeah, So all the best to you and thanks again.
Speaker 3: For coming on, Kevin.
Speaker 6: Thanks Gott.
Speaker 1: Kevin Cook back on the show. It's the fortieth anniversary of that challenge, which I have forty year Where were you forty years ago?
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 1: Most people said, well, I wasn't born yet. Smart da touche. Scott Sloan Show home of the Red seven hundred w Weldon.
Speaker 7: Today today are making the rounds.
Speaker 1: They are here is almost here actually third and fifth annual Marty Graf for Homeless Children. I've been doing this for feels like maybe about ten years, maybe at like half of that, I think. Anyway, is it more than that? Come up on Fat Tuesday, February seventeen this year in Northern Kentucky Convention Center. What happens is this, You go, you have a good time, you all you can drink, all you can eat, and then what happens is all that money that's raised goes to provide more than one hundred and fifty thousand meals for kids here in the Tri state area. And that includes reach outreach for places like Brighton Center's homewer Bound Welcome House in Covington and Bethany House in Cincinnati. And it is that time of year to sell some tickets here for such a good cost. No better Valentine's Day President than this, because it's all in and especially get a hotel across the street. Scottenly knows what's going to happen institute of this morning, of course, Gordy Snyder, the living legend himself the guy was here for all of the Marty Grass past president and future. He's a chairman. We've got Amy Floyd in the execut director, Joe Burrow, my good friend Don Peperella for Mercedes Benz of Fort Mitchell, all in studio this morning here on seven hundred W Dow.
Speaker 3: How are we, folks? We got were warm or absolutely, we're here. We're ready to go. You're ready to rock and roll.
Speaker 1: This is, by the way, I'll point out, I mean, this is your first year Joe Burrow Foundation as a title sponsor. Why do you guys decide a partner with us this year?
Speaker 8: Marty gra Yeah, the mission of the Joe Burrow Foundation is to provide resources and opportunities to the underprivileged and underserved. And so we heard about this event. I went to it a couple of years ago, and it just felt like a natural fit for us to be a part of a Marty Girl event benefiting Greater Cincinnati kids feeding hungry people really is the is the end goal and eliminating the need for.
Speaker 1: This really well, I know Joe, you know on Athens where he's from, to be in a rural area till you see a lot of this as well, so being able to do it here in Cincinnati speaks fomes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: His Heisman speech really shed light on the issues of food insecurity and kids not having consistent access to healthy food, and that was really the promise of us starting the foundation. And there's unfortunately hunger kids everywhere.
Speaker 1: So Cincinnati is not I think rural too, especially hit Stephen Marcus.
Speaker 3: We think about that.
Speaker 1: You know, all the all the resources seemed to go to urban areas and here, you know, Cincinnati, Okay, it's growing well and good, but in roural areas and more difficult. So I could see them totally leaning into that. So it's good to have you guys this year. So this just sounds like it was a slam dunk based on his Heisman speech. Yes, involved here, absolutely, We're excitingly gosh, and of course Don Paparella from Mercedes Benz in Fort Mech can't miss it if you're head down the highways right there. We try to be everywhere if we can't, and all time back for the umpteenth here appreciate your supporters.
Speaker 3: I think it's thirteen or so. Oh wow.
Speaker 7: We're certainly excited. This is this is our our this is my favorite event. You know, we love giving back the community. We love you know, helping out you know, this charity with the three cherries that they serve, this event is by far and away the best one and it's kind of been our cornerstone of all of our giving and you know that we do that and again we try to you know, we want to make the community better than when we got here. And I think we've done a good job of that. That's kind of been our our mantra at the dealership ever since we've we opened up. We're like, how do we make the area better? And this is this is a great fit for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it was important to having local business lean into this as well too. And it's your favorite event a year because it's such a great charity. You see the immediate impact media impact. But I know you like to come and eat and drink.
Speaker 3: I mean I do come hungry. I'm not gonna lie. I do come hungry.
Speaker 7: And it's so I'm like, nope, no food today and there and yes we have all. The food is unbelievable, The drinks are great, the music's great. You know, it's the walking around and seeing everybody seeing old friends, and it's just absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 1: Knowing you're helping folks too. And the best part is it's it's a fairly early night. I mean, you can start at five point thirty and it's over a ten, but you can get you can do some damage there in.
Speaker 3: A few short hours. You're there full by seven. Let's just put it that way, right. You can't eat everything that's in there.
Speaker 7: We make it around halfway and I'm like, that's about all we're gonna be able to eat.
Speaker 3: It's wonderful. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Chef Jim Jimmy curveall over at the Governor's House in Covington did a food drop today. He's got the short rib, which is amazing. He's got an incredible mushroom risota. Mushroom a risotta is really really hard to get to go. He did, he killed it, smashed potatoes. He's got the basil butter. It's it's all working this morning, and our staff is fat and happy on this cold, cold morning to enjoy in some of this stuff. To keep your staff on point. Yeah, I circle that. So I got to go to Governor's house next time. Down to this The food is the last couple of years have been absolutely amazing. Let me bring in a Gordy Snyder, who's the founding chairman of Marty Garras Benefiting Homeless Children thirty five years a god.
Speaker 10: Well Scott, First of all, thank you for being our king once again this year. We appreciate you, know, everything that you've done for the King. It's got to be like what I say, Queen, I say.
Speaker 3: King, King, King.
Speaker 1: I think I could be queen too, I don't. Yeah, well, no, she was your queen. Oh yeah, that's right, Chilla. She'lla helped me on the last name.
Speaker 3: Gray.
Speaker 1: Oh Gray, that's right. Yeah, just say red or blue, but gray, that's right. Yeah, local twice I saw she she the other day. She's doing well. Yeah, I know you guys are okay too much. She has a problem. She Let me tell you something about Hill. I've don Hill a long time. Way too much energy, I said, God only gives you so much energy. You're gonna How is it possible at your she's what forty? How is it possible you have still have that much energy at age forty? It's unbelievable. I thought she was twenty nine. I was realist.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about well the history of event.
Speaker 1: People go, okay, well, it's kind of where why why Marty Grout, why homeless, skilled, holl those things?
Speaker 3: How does that work? How does that go together?
Speaker 10: Well, thirty six years ago, Scott there were four homeless children in an abandoned garage and the father locked them in the garage. They were all the whole family was homeless. They started playing with matches. Unfortunately, the garage caught on fire, burned down, and all four children perished. Cincinnati Public School System came out with a study. They said at any time during the course of a year, over the course of a year, there could be as many as twelve or fifteen thousand children in Greater Cincinnati, northern Kentucky hill gravel. And everybody was like, wait a minute, this can't be happening in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: There's no way.
Speaker 10: And unfortunately, what people don't realize is homeless children are the invisible. Children are invisible homeless. You don't you don't see them out on the street corner with a sign. They're honeing, they're hiding, they're running, they're runaways, They're hiding in abandoned buildings, abandoned garage, garage, cars, whatever they can get into. And then a lot of times it's discovered through the school system when they show up and they don't have proper clothing, they haven't been.
Speaker 3: Fed, and they have moved. They So.
Speaker 10: We decided at the Northern Kentucky Restaurant Association to start this event to help help with homeless children. And as you mentioned, it goes to three great powerhouse agencies here in Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky. We have beth Any House over in Cincinnati, Brighton Center there in Newport, and and also Welcome House in Covington. And so far we've raised two point nine three million dollars over the history of the event.
Speaker 3: Two point almost three million.
Speaker 10: It will be three We're going to go over three million this year, Scott, with everybody's help. Yeah, yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: And all those it goes to one hundred and fifty thousand meals, which is an incredible amount, right of pretty much launch everyday for every kid that needs.
Speaker 10: It, three meals a day. And then one of the agency said, you also have to have snacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, exact play Amy Floyd, your favorite snack, go Dorita's Cool Ranch or standard.
Speaker 8: Good question I'd say cool ranch, really cool. Yeah, same.
Speaker 10: Cape cod potato chips, gotcha, gotta be reese cups, Reese's cups really oh yeah, snack, oh yeah, everything.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a snack. I always think savory. If I'm doing it, I'm not on the board. I'd go Doritos maybe.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'd probably throw some Cheetos in there, maybe cheat. I'm a cheese guy, like the cheese, A savory kind of guy as well. All right, all right, that's pretty good. Jen Madley says there her favorite snack kl chips. She's a heathen. I don't know what the hell's going on, but I don't even know that's insane.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think there'll be any kale on the menu anywhere the five thousand restaurants we have on Mardi Gras.
Speaker 3: There'll be no kale at all in there. It's but but you're gonna have a good time.
Speaker 1: So thirty fifth of Marty gra benefit homeless kids, and it's happening fat Tuesday, February seventeenth hours.
Speaker 3: It's five thirty right for the VIP.
Speaker 10: Five thirty you get the big piece of chicken.
Speaker 1: The big that's right, you get there. It's five thirties a VIP that entitles you to the big piece of chicken. Right, okay, so you get the big bed. I'm not saying that the other sized chickens afterwards aren't sizable sized chickens, but it's you get the pick of the litter.
Speaker 3: Let's put it that way. To five three, the extra hours.
Speaker 1: To it's important eat and probably also pregame a little bit for the rest of the festivities. There's also Gordy. No shortage of alcoholic beverages there either. No, there's a lot of alcohol. There are a lot of livations we have, you know, beer, craft beers, wine ever, you know, livations, bourbon, you name it, you name it. There's more cocktails in more you have a good time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know they give you the smaller obviously because you're pasting yourself too. But all of a sudden you're like, how many have I had? Everyone does that and goes, oh, I'll be damned, it's only a Tuesday night. On top of that as well, yeah, you should really think about it. If you do this right, you're taking Wednesday off, correct, that's our recommendation. If you're doing this right, you're taking Wednesday about right.
Speaker 3: And now of that.
Speaker 10: Also across the street you get a hotel too, you could stay. We've got a hotel. We also have free parking that night thanks to Mercedes Benz a fort.
Speaker 1: Minute, very nice, thank you, don Don Send his team will park your car personally.
Speaker 3: Can I get a detailed how that rules? Right into a new car.
Speaker 1: So next year we're moving the conventions under two Mercedes Benz.
Speaker 3: And Fort Mitchell right right there, right good.
Speaker 1: We got somebody doing titles and everything right the play go swe We got you in and out.
Speaker 3: Not a big deal, which is good, you know, a good credit, not a big deal.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, Mercedes, what what what's the new line this year?
Speaker 3: What are you guys doing? Last year we talked a lot about evs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so EV's have sort of run their course. They're wonderful. They're just slowed down a little bit. But now we're we're all about SUVs. So the Mercedes SUVs are the top of the They are unbelievable. It starts with the g Wagon, then goes to the my Box and the g ls's and the Glees. So this year we're planning about seventy percent of our sales will be the unbelievable sport utility vehicles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all all will drive.
Speaker 7: They're roomy, they're fast, they look great, safety security, they're wonderful.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's amazing me.
Speaker 1: It's like we you know, trucks and SUVs are it's a huge sector, right is it? Because the roads are so damn bad. I mean, look at the ice and snow and the potholes we're gonna have in the spring. And it's it's because people are like, you know what, I smack as fun, but I gotta be up the road.
Speaker 3: Stink.
Speaker 7: It doesn't hurt you. The roads are they're definitely challenging.
Speaker 3: Let's lot at that way and then the.
Speaker 1: Weather the way it is, you know you're not gonna get around. Let's face it, the two wheel you know, m we the SUVs. What we see is people they need some space. You know, we're Americans. We need space. We need to carry stuff.
Speaker 7: We have children in the back friends, So you know, we're not like other countries where transportations just to get around with us, it's a it's a lifestyle.
Speaker 3: It's enjoyable.
Speaker 7: So we sell large SUVs actually small, medium and large SUV's and again with the roads being as challenging as.
Speaker 3: They are, you want to be up a little higher. You got bigger tires.
Speaker 7: You can handle the potholes and handle the one.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what is Amy, would it take to get you in a G class? By the way, would you were you an equal an E C or G.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm in the nonprofit space, so I might have to take.
Speaker 1: It to you also have a good supply of after weeks, have some gently used cars, and we've got all the We got all the normal stuff too.
Speaker 7: But you know my model is treat yourself. I mean that's exactly we always say, treat yourself.
Speaker 3: Amy. Could you give me your Social Security so you're going to run a credit check? Can we do? Can we run that right now? Yeah? See what's going on? That was good?
Speaker 1: Uh institute this morning on seven hundred w W to Don PEPPERRELLI sell them cars from Mercedes spends a fort Mitchell. He has teamed up yet again for thirty Fifthaniel Marti Gras. We've got Amy floyd In, the executive director of the Joe Burrow Foundation, and a guy named Gordy Snyder who just shows up when the food's and drink and all this. By the way, tickets available at Martigra twenty twenty six dot org. You can also stop by if you know where Brighton Center or Welcome House or Bethany Houses in Cincinnati stop by that selling their tickets as well too.
Speaker 3: How are we doing on ticket sales?
Speaker 10: We're doing good, but we still got a few left, okay, And we also got some corporate sponsorships left. I'll have to see some companies you know in our area step up and do a sponsorship, just like you know Mercedes Benz a Fort mitchell As.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Joe Burrow phund There's different levels of doing this too. And here here's the imperative, right is if you have these kids, they're hungry. The economy could be better, right, People, especially working folks, are feeling the pinch of this too. So we're getting more families in the system than ever before. And all you're doing is buying a ticket to go and have a good time, eat and drink and maybe make some new friends, bring some old friends. Great Valentine's Day gift, by the way, if you're looking for something instead of the tired old flowers and tired box of chocolates or whatever that might be.
Speaker 3: You know, do this instead. It's you know, the tickets go what how much?
Speaker 10: Well, they start at one hundred dollars for a regular emission. That would get you in at six thirty. But if you want to get in at five thirty, the VIP emission is one hundred and twenty five. Yeah, and then we have sponsorships for tables all the way from fifteen hundred up to ten thousand.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you have a small business or something you want to like, hey, this seems like a good thing, and you know you're doing some charitable work, please consider this in getting a table on a sponsorship because everything diamond and I mean all the money the restaurants donate, all this stuff, the the alcohol, beverages, and all the everything there is all donated, and all of that money then from ticket sales goes one hundred percent of these charities. And you know you're you're helping feed kids. I mean, is there a more noble thing? I mean, think about it. We just got off the holidays where most of us are going, okay, let's go time to get in THEI kido and then we throw that out of the that goes out the window on the seventeenth. But in between there and thinking, wow, we've got the surplus of food for most people, and yet there's people right here in our community, special little kids that that don't have that food security that we do and in these families, and it's getting worse because the gap between those that have and have it is getting bigger. And that's just an irrefutable truth. So I think it's it's incumbent on a lot of us and most of us anyway, to say, hey, this is this is something we can all get behind. So hopefully if the very lead, just get a ticket, you know, tell your friends, maybe get a hotel room cross, you know, making a midweek little vacre. God knows you need to break. God knows you need to break. Yeah weather, yeah, right, for.
Speaker 3: The for the kids.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You feel good about yourself. You're doing something nice.
Speaker 1: And I do always feel guilty because I'm getting pelted with bread in the like up there, and when I'm on the float, is king, Oh God, here we.
Speaker 3: Go, Wow, and we use fresh I know, closs them. Twenty four seven.
Speaker 1: You bring these roles that have been laying out in the apparently they're frozenre they on your dash for every year they get either I'm getting older or these these roles get harder every year. So the tradition started years ago with Mike McConnell who sat in this chair, and for some reason he bought his degenerate friends and you get up on this big float. So I'm up there, Sheila Gray's up there, and we have the parade with the marching band right from Edgewood and they do a great job.
Speaker 3: Beachwood. I'm saying, are we going through?
Speaker 1: And for some reason when we get into the Clossman bread station, we get pelted with so his boys started throwing rolls at I mean, this tradition is continued for probably twenty years.
Speaker 10: Mike will probably be there again this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so when I when I die, and they're like, what causes death? I'm sort of yeast infection, probably from the rolls. I don't know what's going on here again. So Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot org is where you can get the tickets. Please consider it if you're thinking about a Valentine's say gift, there's there's none better because it's an experience, right, Since it's buying flowers are going to die in twenty four hours. It's going to be party with a purpose. So Don and Amy and Don, thanks for coming in this morning. I appreciate it. It's great to see you. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: We'll see on the seventeenth. Seventeenth.
Speaker 1: Y all right, wait, Don's got a car sale with Amy here, so I'll let them go and handle that up.
Speaker 3: It's time for you also, Let's time to time. We'll get this. We'll get this done. That's what we need with the official car of the Scott's Sloan Show. Jack, Let's get this done, official card of Scott's.
Speaker 1: All right, we're doing business and we're saving lives here Scott's Loan Show seven hundred ww.
Speaker 3: Helping you put the big P in profession. Here's our career, Sir, Julie bout. We also put the big P in peanut butter.
Speaker 1: That's not what Julie BALKI thought I was going to say, Uh, Julie, welcome, how are you well?
Speaker 11: I didn't think you were going to say anything else. I know you want to keep your job? So do I.
Speaker 3: Do I really want to keep do I? Anyway?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, you know no, of course I do. So the topic is a peanut butter raise. I've never heard that term before. Is a new Where's it come from? What the hell does that mean? What's a peanut butter raise?
Speaker 11: I know it's just another example of why we have to make up new things for for clicks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, peanut butter because it sticks to the roof of your unemployment.
Speaker 3: I don't know what what does it mean?
Speaker 11: It means everybody in the same organization gets the same increase. So an organization, uh organization might come out and say, you know, in light of everyone is going to get an across the board, So think about peanut butter spreading on bread. It's about an across the board raised. So everybody gets.
Speaker 1: Our definition in here at iHeart is it means you to be fired in a jiff. If you don't knock it up.
Speaker 11: Skippy, you can probably do well. Ski skip.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're going to skip your next paychecks, all right, So peanut peanut butter race, Yeah, we take it down the skips. Peanut butter rays is okay. It's spread across the boards from from coast to courst from from cross to cross.
Speaker 11: Okay to the organization So here's the here's the thing that is I think just really really short sighted, is you are not rewarding your higher performers, and you are telling the organization that it doesn't matter how hard you try or what you accomplish, you will be getting the same amount. You doing three people's jobs, two of which were laid off last year, will get the same amount. I'm ann increase. It's not a merit increase. It's just an increase as the person down the hall who everybody knows is the owner's nephew and sits in plays on the phone all day or so. That's that's where there's like an across the board raised. And then there's things like merit increases, performance increases, performance bonuses. So some of these organizations might be saying, Okay, we're going to reward our higher performers in other ways, but for sure there are some out there going we don't want to mess with it. We're just going to give everybody two to three percent across the board and go on our merry way and boil boy. That is that is a motivation killer. Even if you're not somebody who's wildly motivated by money, it still sends the signal that we don't know. Just just do the do the just show up, and everybody's going to get the same amount across the board, which I think is dangerous, especially when the pendulum swings back the other way. Gotcha two more of to a place where your best people can leave and they will remember this. You got to be really, really careful when you do across the board things.
Speaker 1: All right, there's always people that are like, well, you know you're complaining about You're complaining about this not eating and even though you've got a half a loaf of bread out of your arm, I don't have a low foot all What about people who are getting any raise whatsoever and now but for the foreseeable future, there there's people like that.
Speaker 3: What about them?
Speaker 11: And what about the people who are unemployed and have no salary to get a raise on top of? So yeah, I mean there's always a situation. I think it's it's like the analogy that I feel sorry for myself, and I believe this is analogy I just made up. I feel sorry for myself because I lost my arm. Well, you're not allowed to feel sorry for yourself because you have another arm. Think about the people with no arms. Oh okay, what about the people with no legs? What about you? Know, so I think it's unfair to say just be happy. It's really let the meat take, you know, just be happy because what you have, because of course you appreciate the two or three percent. Of course, I mean, nobody's going to say take it back, but if you have to. We are humans, not not machines. And so you have to look at if I've been busting my butt for the past year because I'm a good performer, and your strong performers always get piled on. It's just a fact of life because the organization knows they'll get it done. And so if you've been taken one or two or three for the team this whole time, and you and now all of a sudden, it's like, you know, thank you start, Can I have another? You're not getting any sort of an increase for that at all. I think, then you've got and then you've got a real problem. You've got a real moral and engagement problem. And those people who are working hard, Mike might say, you know, why exactly am I doing this? I'm going to spend maybe some of this time I've been spending on doing the person doing the job of Fred who just got laid off. I'm going to take that that time, and I'm going to spend it trying to start a side hustle or you know, pick not a hobby or and you know what I mean, just can't really blame them. So I think you've gotta be really, really careful. And I get that it's tricky times. I get it.
Speaker 1: Well, minimum wage mindmum effort, now, I get it. Yeah, because people are like, well, man, at least you're getting two percent. I don't get I got one. I got nothing last year or the year before. And okay, well, and I get it because you know, it's relative to your income and your situation and if if your in had not to be your uncle, I get it. I get Julie boucare career ship. What do you say Julie's boucare careership on the Scotsland Show on seven hundred W welw. So the pant butter raises across the board. Prairiise isn't a like but that's the way. I mean.
Speaker 3: It's been that way a lot of companies for a long time. Is it ever going to change?
Speaker 11: It has? And you know what, what a companion A piece of information that is that over the last I mean years, thirty maybe thirty fifty years. It's in a while, CEO compensation has shot up one thousand percent while worker pay has gone up twenty six percent. So the rate the gaps between the CEO and the lowest worker because of what a lot of times what a company is the here everybody, here's your two and a half percent. Is the CEO getting a huge performance bonus? Maybe it's in stock opjects, maybe it's cash, maybe it's a huge raise, And it's really really hard to take that seriously and believe the organization and trust the organizations. This is the best we can do this year given the market, customers blah blah blah. When you've got your CEO, who's they're talking as.
Speaker 4: You look it up?
Speaker 11: Because public companies are information is online. He or she got a massive salary increase or performance bonus even in years when even in years when business wasn't good because a lot of these bonuses are written into their contracts, and you know, so there's a lot of a lot of you can't blame them forgetting what they can get, but you've got to understand how it looks, what the optics are when you talk about the rest of the folks trying to have swollow the fact that you're not getting any rays this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, good for you. It's like, you know, well, you know, it's a different thing. You see you and there's so few of them and it's you. You don't understand them, and a lot of it's bonus, and it's like, yeah, all well and good. I mean, you can tell me that I don't really care about your situation. I care about mine, and if it's not improving, we got to do different things on that regard to And I think this also has to do with I mean, in the past, it's a bet about gender discrimination, racial discrimination, age discrimination. Uh, there's a factor here, Julie bias versus mediocrity. So the reason why a company would do this in across the board race for everybody is subjectivity and bias. Those are concerns because the peanut butter approach, I guess creates its own form of equity because it treats exceptional and mediocre performers the same way. It's kind of a union model, you know, not all unions, but it's always been Hey, you know, you could be the guy slacking not shown up. You get the same amount of money as somebody who really cares about making a better product or doing their job. The same thing applies here, I think too, because you could also have well handing raises out to people. Oh this person kisses my ass a lot, she hears she gets a raise. Man, Well, I don't really do anything, and the guy's working hard who's just keeps his head down and doesn't, you know, interact as much, gets nothing. So the other side of this is just as bad, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: But but what that what that is, what all of this is a symptom of is a poorly designed and poorly and or poorly executed compensation plan that the company really doesn't have any belief in. And so if you've got let's say you said, okay, we're going to do two percent across the board, we're going to take that one percent extra one percent, and we're going to put it in a pot, and we're going to give it out as bonuses to people who are from a performance system. Won't say it's a scale one to five or something simple like that.
Speaker 4: For fours and.
Speaker 11: Five, Okay, you still got your two percent. Everybody gets their two percent, but at least you're acknowledging that the people who are your strong performers, and you can even when you actually talk to people and say, look, you know that this is a tough year. I'm doing the best I can. I really appreciate you. You know, everybody got a two percent across the board. I'm also going to give We're also giving our top performers of what you're one, an extra five thousand dollars, two thousand dollars, five hundred dollars. It's at least an acknowledgment. And this is the thing that leaders get so wrong because they're embarrassed and they don't want to say, oh yeah, sorry, you're not getting that extra increase that I think I told you you might get. So let's not make eye contacted the whole way. You're actually treating people like adults, which is all that people really want. And will they always be happy, of course not. But it comes down to the way you're handling it and the fact you're addressing it and handling it all. That's what leadership is. Anything other than that is just being a coward.
Speaker 1: What what's the data show about the retention rates though for top performers and companies that use peanut butter raises versus merit base.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't know. I haven't seen that. I've not seen.
Speaker 3: Isn't that your job, isn't it?
Speaker 11: I don't know. As long as there's too many, there's too many.
Speaker 3: Here's somebody just begging not to get a raise.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 3: You're Julie Bouki. When you're heading that, you're the CEO.
Speaker 1: You get all the money, all the glory, all the stock options, and yet you don't contribute anything.
Speaker 3: Let's turn this mayor around a second.
Speaker 11: Let's talk about my raises. Now, let's talk about my pay that I never get from iHeart for all of the great value I bring to your little show.
Speaker 1: Well, well that makes two of us. Yeah, but I think that's a fair question. Though in all seriousness, is it? Yeah, it doesn't help retention rates. I would imagine it does.
Speaker 11: Well, So we are in and let's let's be fair here. We are in a very very very challenging time. And that's the other side of this, really, is that you are in a situation where employers are they are trying to do in a lot of cases. You know, they're they're everybody everybody. So so the person who makes the decision about you getting the two just represent raised the person who gives you that news, they're in the same boat you are because they also have on it. They also have an employee hat that they wear. And so it's tough time. Number one, number two we are This has been true and will be true forever. This is all econ one oh one, and that is when the job market is tough, and it's very tough, people will they will take what you give them. They will know they will hang on to their job because they've heard and seen the horror stories of people applying for jobs and being unemployed for long periods of time. And so when that is true of the markets, then you also have the fact that they will hang on, grit their teeth, be grateful for a job. But that is not a permanent condition because when the pendulum goes the other way, and it will because it always does, then your good people will remember this. They will remember how you treated them, and they will be the first ones out the door. Why because they can because they have options. Everybody knows it's a transparent world. Now, if you're at a competitor of yours, you probably know who the top people are. You could easily find out. So it's not like I've got to go knock on your company's door to steal your people anymore. And so it's a short term strategy. But if you don't, it's when things start turning around. You don't go back in and right your wrongs because you can, and you hope people forget what you forget all this. They're not going to They're either going to give you less on the job and the orders, they're going to cut back their work, or they're going to quit. It's just human nature. And we can argue all day whether it's there shouldn't be like that, but it just is. As long as I've been in this business, which is about one hundred decades at this point, it is always been true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a question about all I would say this.
Speaker 1: You know, for the peanut butter we're talking about what's called a peanut butter raise, and if you're not familiar with that term, it's nothing new. It's basically everyone gets two percent, three percent, whatever it is across the board, regardless of a hard how good you are, howrd you work, and if you're a top performer, not everyone gets the same raise, which of course disincentivizes the top performers.
Speaker 3: If that's the case.
Speaker 1: The other fact is if it's a three percent raise, well, okay, that just barely keeps pace with inflation. That's another factor here too. I mean, raises are just cost of living. It's not like you're good, you're getting more money, but everything costs more express so you're just basically keeping up. You're not getting more if you're a top performer. That's got to be really concerning.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, and it is. It is okay to have a different pay structure, a different payout plan, a different plan for your top performers. It's also okay to set expectations with your people about what strong performance looks like very clearly, and then measure them to that, hold them to that, and bonus slash, give them a marriacrease. That is okay. I don't know why we're so afraid of having a system of creating a system that works inside of an organization so that at the end of the year, if you're getting you know, if you're if you have a really good review coming with a nice increase, you should already know that in advance. Yeah, the other way.
Speaker 3: Around, right, Well, why.
Speaker 11: Are we being so secretive? And what it looks like to succeed?
Speaker 3: What does this look like?
Speaker 1: Not for you know, baby boomers like yourself, gen xers like me, millennials like Sarah Lease, what does that look like for Gen Z workers for example too?
Speaker 3: I mean the new wave? Uh oh is that your heart monitor?
Speaker 6: What is that.
Speaker 11: About that? What's it look like for them?
Speaker 1: By the way, I love you on Q I said, like you baby boomers and your phone goes off super loud, like you're in church and it takes you ten minutes to get it.
Speaker 3: Because it's in your purse.
Speaker 11: On my phone with you. So what they So they are When you think about how people look at work and how it fits into your life, we it comes from your years of working and living. And for those of us who are Gen X and boomers, we after a while you've seen something. We have seen all these changes that about how work fits into our lives when the employer employee relationship is or not. And so our perspective is we are seeing it swing very much the other way. And so for people who are older in the workforce, this is absolutely hand ringing, pro clutching, what the heck are we doing? But when you've got the younger generations, their entire experience, they can't live through what we live through.
Speaker 4: So their entire.
Speaker 11: Experience is what the how? That what they've seen personally, and then sometimes you know how your parents what what how you've seen what you've seen in other people in terms of the employer employee relationship. So that's why I think we're seeing this. The younger generations are saying, I'm not sure this is a good deal, and so we really they just they look at corporate life and say, what exactly is a feeling about this? And they're not wrong. But the thing is, the older people we never we were kind of like about it too, but we didn't have any options and so we didn't know any better, and so we just sucked it up. But it is not uncommon for a younger person to go into a job for a couple of years and say, oh my gosh, wait a minute, is this what my next forty plus years look like? Ye, and say no thanks, and then they start to look for something else. So I think, really corporations are kind of in trouble when it comes to being able to attract and keep people from the younger generation.
Speaker 1: Julie, let me put this in the context, right, I tell me if I'm wrong, and I think it just fits. It's everything is predictable when it comes to generations or at the generation gap. So I mentioned, you know, the generations that are just right now. I think this is what happened. So as a Gen X or as a baby boomer, you and baby your parents, maybe your grandparents worked physical hard jobs. My grandfather, Johnny Trucks, drove a truck for A and P supermarkets for thirty forty years back before they had like manual steer of power steering. I mean, you know, huge forums because he's taking a big truck and driving it and there's no you know, no air conditioning, nothing like that. We had people in my family that are labors, right, They're out there, they're building stuff, they're making things. It's really really hard work. It's hard work today, but not like it was back in the day. Because you have more automation, you have robots, you have safety government mandated by the government, you have know, mandated breaks, you have all these things in there. And also you know, the mechanic mechanicals got better to the idea that somehow you're on a you don't see anybody building a skyscraper or walking up on a girder or without any safety gear on. Right, like you saw when they're building the Empire State Building. You know how many people died when they're making the subway system or building dams, Hoover Dam, things like that. You don't see that anymore because safety is paramount. But the technology is so much better. So back when we were younger, when I was younger, we saw our parents and saw their parents do that.
Speaker 3: Kind of work.
Speaker 1: Now we don't want you to. We want to go to college because that way you're not there breaking your back. You're not broken down. By the time you're fifty years old. You know, you do something with your mind and not with your hands. Work smarter, not harder. And so we have a general a couple of generations now that have done that and said, okay, and now that's kind of played out, going to wait a minute, I put all this effort, I pull this time in. I'm getting a three percent raise or no raise. It's a corporate structure. I got to be there. My boss is a jerk. I don't really produce it. I'm not sure what I do. I'm stuck inside. I don't like this at all. And now I think this generation comes along says well what about the trades? Because they didn't see what our parents saw, And so once again, in thirty years, it'll probably go the other way, going, well, we got all that my parents were, you know, my dad was working in hvac for example, or like you know, he's a plumber and his knees are all banged up. At fifty, I want to go to college. I would imagine in a couple generations it goes back the way it was in America. The pendulum always swings. That's why history repeats itself. Am I right or wrong about that?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Exactly exactly. But what's so interesting is where we are now back and it wasn't that long ago. It's probably frand from nine to eleven. I remember this very clearly. When the conversation changed. It used to be you had to pick a lane, so I am going to be corporates corporate, or I'm going to have something on my own. And it was very much because I remember the coaching back then was pretty much okay, at some point you have to pick a lane. And the beauty is. After nine eleven, the job market was a mess, and it really came back as now you don't because plenty of clients that I had them because they couldn't find a job, started something on their own for a few years and then went back to corporate. And so it was at that moment that the first vestiges of wait a minute, I can do different things at different times. I can swing back and forth and not look like I can't make up my mind. That's when we first start having those conversations. It really was the very beginning of this conversation that your career happens in chapters, just like your life does. Yeah, that makes sense, Okay, those chapters can contain different things, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Julie Balki your career, Shirpa, now you know what a peanut butter raises. She's at the Bauki Group. B a UK jumps in every Wednesday with career stuff. You have a great week. Thanks again for the inside really interesting stuff. Appreciate it. Let me get a news update in in just seconds here. Scott's Loan Show continues on seven hundred w sis BEI mari I s love me here seven hundred WLW so about a year and a half delay in this whole thing. Ohio cities have finally received their first recreational marijuana tax revenue checks, and that told us about thirty six million dollars state wide.
Speaker 3: There again, there's stories here. Well you hear some of the stories.
Speaker 1: Of incompetent and it's at the highest levels of the state. It's gonna make your eyes water. I'll cut to the chase and let you know how much Columbus gets the most in the state. About four point seven million, Cincinnati two and a half million. Columbia Township is up on the top of the list, or near the top of the list anyway, one point six million, nor would get six hundred seventy thousand dollars. Union Township in Claremont County about seven fifty three, Milford six sixty one, and Hamilon County Whitewater Township six hundred thousand. Those are the big ones in our area on this and the story behind maybe explaining why it took eighteen months to figure this out is Ohio Senator Steve Huffman from Tips City. Good morning, Senator, how are you morning?
Speaker 4: Oh you know, cold and snowy.
Speaker 3: But I got it. We live in It's what it is. It's what it is. I understand that.
Speaker 1: So the bottom line here is they get cities who are in on this get thirty six percent of the ten percent excise tax, and the remaining sixty four of that goes to the general fund to be used for well whatever it might be, including social equity and mental health and addiction services, cannibal cannabis control. Local governments have discretion to spend the money on that. I know Cleveland's going to put money into public safety and roads. It's up to those local media spells to do with what they want. Are there guidelines? Are there? Are there certain things they can they can't do with that money? Or how does that work?
Speaker 4: No, they can do whatever they want and whatever they feel that their jurisdiction needs. And you know, I've not heard anything from Cincinnati what their plan is, but they can do what they want.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's talk about how it took eighteen months. Let's start there, a year and a half of the promised tax revenue because there were quote unquote procedural issues.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, so the way that.
Speaker 4: The referendum was actually written. It said basically it said collect the money, but there was not an avenue that said pay the money out. And so the legal scholars looked at him, said, well, we can't do that because it doesn't tell us to spend the money. And so that's what fifty six did, was was solved that issue. And when we passed passed that, it became we're usually late, wait ninety days, but eggs have involved money are instant, and it took them a couple of weeks to get that done.
Speaker 1: Okay, got that to it, But that wasn't the only problem. I guess there were some problems with the dispersement itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they found out about a week or so ten days afterwards that you know, there's about fifty or one hundred different jurisdictions and seventeen jurisdictions received money and they didn't have a dispensary at all.
Speaker 1: Wait, what you don't have any you're not supposed to get money, like for example, in Mason Roland Mason said we don't want it. We don't want weed anywhere near people. So you go and you get your weed and you bring it back. They get no tax revenue because they weren't open to allowing dispensaries there. So you should get that, you should get that. So why would they get money if they didn't have dispensers.
Speaker 4: It was a mistake. You know, nothing goes right in government. And what happened is is that you know, in Columbus, the city of Worthington is a suburb, and they got a check because the address to the dispensary is Worthington, and they just assume it was Worthington, but it was actually in the city of Columbus at.
Speaker 1: The Columbus And so there's wonder going, where's our money? And they're going, wait, we got to check that we didn't do anything. This is pretty good. And I'll go, well, you know, there's some things we've got to iron and work out.
Speaker 6: Word.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that. You're talking about several hundred thousand dollars here. This isn't like, I don't know, five ten dollars class action settlement or something like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a couple of interesting things in here. And I can't remember. There's a small city in the Edgewood School District called seven Mile, seven hundred and twelve people in the last census. Okay, they just cashed a check for over four hundred thousand dollars for seven hundred and twelve residents.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: That that is absolutely incredible. They early on had a medical dispensary that somebody came in and said, you know, we want this, And they were always looking for the tax revenue because right away they moved in and they slapped the fifty thousand dollars tax and all marijuana dispensaries, and the state government fixed that in the next budget. Look at the city of Toledo. I don't know what the revised was, but one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for a good sized city. Yeah, And to me, that proves the theory that I've had and others have had. Nobody buys weed in Toledo because four miles into Michigan, they're nineteen dispensaries in Monroe, Michigan that you can buy your marijuana for half or two thirds.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 1: I lived in Toledo for a number You went to bowling Grain just outside Toledo, worked until they lived in Toledo. Had I had both our kids there and moved here when they were very, very young. But yeah, the last time I was up there over the summer. You drive anywhere in Toledo, there's billboards all over for the dispensaries in Michigan. And you go over the state line, which is right there up just past Luna Pier if you know where that is. And after that in Monroe, not Monroe, Ohio, but Mona, Michigan. You're just they're all over the place. It's cheap, it's available, you're in, you're out. It's not a problem whatsoever. Why would I pay that tax in Toledo if I could get it much cheaper in Michigan, and I arguably a better selection because of that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's cheaper and the taxes left, and so I would. So maybe in a year year and a half, we can have to have a discussion about Cincinnati. Yeah, Cincinnati's number falsely elevated because people Entucky are coming over to Cincinnati. You know they Kentucky just started their program, you know, a couple of weeks ago, so you know they do that. We don't know, We'll have to look at those numbers in a year or two and say, you know that that is what they are more likely benefiting from it.
Speaker 1: It's a cost benefit for Cincinnati, and you go, Okay, how much cheaper would it be in Kentucky. We know it's cheaper for a liquor and cigarettes. People go to Kentucky all the time, party sorts, et cetera for that because it's cheaper. They'll save a few bucks. But if it's marginally cheaper, they probably won't. This is substantially like Michigan, different story entirely, and that explains it because Cincinnati were a border city.
Speaker 3: Toledo is a border city.
Speaker 1: You don't have that problem in Cleveland obviously, unless you can swim really well, and then this weather if you can skate really well. The outlier, though, The interesting part about that then is Columbus. Why does if that's the case, and why does Columbus lead in revenue with four point seven million? Is simply because the border is too far.
Speaker 4: Away, I think, because it seems to me that you know, you look at Cincinnati and there's four or five townships in smaller jurisdictions that allowed dispensaries. So I think if you looked at Hamilton County as a whole, and then look at Franklin County as a whole they're pretty they're they're pretty similar because I just didn't look like outer jurisdictions of Franklin County allowed the dispensaries. But I think they're kind of pretty equal in the same for Cuyahogay. Cleveland's is not that much, but the whole county is is is a good number if you look at it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, I look at some of these discratch man like, for example, Columbia Township here in Cincinnati is in the top I think in the top handful of cities. One point six million for Columbia Township. Look at that going. I can't figure that one out.
Speaker 4: No, you know, and I and I think that now when this, when this was came out and became published, how many other jurisdictions have buyer's remorse in this in the sense someplace like you know, you spoke about NASA they you know, there's there's a couple hundred jurisdictions in the state that put it more to arm sause we just don't want we don't want marijuana. And I look at the in my in Miami County. In Pickla, you decided to have two dispensaries. They got a little heat from some some some residents, but they reached for you know, a town of thirty thousand people got to check for over four hundred thousand. They're going to build, you know, they early on said we're going to build parks. We're going to have a recreation at our entertainment center. And that's what we're going to do with it. You don't how many calls to nine one one to those two dispensaries in twenty twenty five many zero the drug dealer just you know, the theory was, you know, the drug dealer is going to sit in the parking lot reread you buy weed and they're going to sell you a ventanyl and they're going to sell you. Yeah. I'm not saying it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: It's happening, right, It happens anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the problem has always been and the pearl clutters and the Luddites. I don't care what it is. It's always lagging. Indicate right, it's like the sky song, so the where the worst things are gonna happen, and ninety nine times out of one hundred, everything is fine. It's not the arm again. We saw that when it came to Casino gaming in Ohio years ago. Oh my god, you're gonna have prostitution and drugs and the cities are gonna it's gonna be hell in a handbasket. And of course all the religious types fought that and what happened was no, nothing really happened. And the revenue they brought in because people want to legally do that stuff has been great. Are there problems with that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: But the idea that somehow it's armageddon and you know it's it's biblical in terms of the disaster, it's going to be it's never comes to fruition ever does. But again, the next thing comes down the pike, the same people, the Bible thumpers, will be out there screaming the same nonsense and they're always proven wrong. And yet there's no shortage of people who want to believe that kind of stuff in that context, Senator, and do you see these municipals look at them going, damn, you know, the sky isn't falling, the worst isn't happening. We could use a couple of million dollars, a couple hundred thousand dollars. Do you see more municipalities than jumping into the to the dispensary game.
Speaker 3: Because of that, I think we do.
Speaker 4: I mean, in Tenegralle fifty six, we're allowing up to four hundred dispensaries. We're probably at about one hundred and eighty right now, so there's you know, two hundred more to go out there if that's what the market wants. And I mean, I think that those people have to really take a serious look at that, and look, you can zone it the way you want it. I would not want a dispensary in historical downtown Tips City, Ohio, which you can put it out in the industrial park in this area where it might be hard to find, but it's not obvious in your historical area. So you can do what you want with zoning, and so it doesn't it doesn't have to be any place in towns where the city council wants it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, i'd push back. Do you have bars in the historical district? Amen?
Speaker 4: I agree, yeah, I mean I understand it.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you'd be the one with the longest line outside a lot of these historical districts. And you know, it's lovely small town Ohio for sure, but you know, when you see a lot of boarded up storefronts when you see you know, no businesses down there, a lack of businesses, and they're always looking for people to come in. And you see more antique stores and you know historical societies, uh, with with a block of you know, the way life used to be. That's not really bringing business in. That's not really bringing adding to your tax base.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 4: I guess my point is is it's up to the city council and they can decide if they decided to put it down there so that you know, that would advocate more businesses, that would be fine. But you know, a lot of stuff we did in fifty six and other things in marijuana to state level is allow local control. Uh.
Speaker 1: State Senator Steve Huffman. Let me pivot just to say because recently the well, another ballot initiative comes up because a lot of people, and rightly so, feel that the state of Ohio is not listening to voters. And we could go on and on and on about that. But the citizen led ballot initiative to repeal the new marijuana law has hit a snagger. So it's it's it's Ohioan's for cannabis choice. They've been around for a while. They want to repeal your bill, Senate Bill fifty six. It says it recriminalized use of cannabis. Dave Yosi AG has rejected their ballot petition summary because he was just reviewing it for truth, whether it's misleading or not. He said, there's some statements that are incorrect in there, so they'll have to go back and revisit that to bring it back to them.
Speaker 3: What do you make of it?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, that's that's their prerogative. It's it's a referendum to repeal parts of fifty six, and mainly it's about the beverages, but some smaller things on marijuana. So they revised it for a second time. It's back and ag Yost is office. He has till uh February third or five o'clock to make his judgment is it Is it truthful? And you know, we'll see what he has to say, and if he says it is, then they have about six weeks to get a quarter of a million valid signatures, which is a daunting task.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but again, I think about it, and I think of the breweries in and around Cincinnati and elsewhere. The you know, Adam Bakovich was on the show, the CEO of Ryan Geist, and I had the folks on from fifty West, and there's plenty of them that would lead that petition drive. You get enough bodies in there. The people sit at the bar and sign all damn day long because they feel like, you know, they've invested in this industry when it comes to THC and fused beverages, that they put millions into this thing and now the carpet is being literally pulled out from under them. A lot of people want it, a lot of people enjoy it. They see it as actually a better alternative to alcohol, which is again, as we mentioned, is fine. You can open a bar, but a dispensary is a different story. People use it for the first time or several times, they go, hey, wait a minute, I don't feel as bad drinking a THCH infused drink as they do after drinking alcohol. And as a physician tell me, what what, what's the difference?
Speaker 4: Well, there's some subtle differences, but you know that's what what if that's what people want, you know, that's what the Senate and the House put on the governor's desk, and it was his it was his decision to uh detO. That part is the beverage part of the bill. But you know, you look at the referendum. They would only get a reprieve for about six months because the federal law is going to kick in, so it would stay till the November election he had went up or down, and then I can't remember. By December first the federal law kicks in. It would all be illegal anyway. So it's hard to invest a lot of money in something you're only going to get six months. But you know, maybe they'll make that decision.
Speaker 3: Well, we're hoping.
Speaker 1: I think that the federal government comes to their senses and changes as well, which is a distinct possibility because they look at the business element of this thing, and they look at how much money is to begin, and also public demand and hearing from constituents.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that'll weigh on them.
Speaker 4: No, No, I agree, and I also agree with you. I think that the federal government in some way is going to put some I hope they put some parameters on it and then say let the states make the final details. You know, maybe Colorado said we can do it. You know, everything at a high level, and Utah is going to say, you know, we don't want that, but we'll see what Ohio says. But I hope the federal government does come to their senses and does something by that day.
Speaker 1: Seems to me, the initial push by those who wanted recreational marijuana and Ohio, which I totally agree with, is just to simply treat this exactly like alcohol. You know, from a chemical pharmological perspective, it's a little bit different, but it's the same. You're drinking something that makes you feel good, and if the THH and FUSE drinks make you feel better than the alcohol ones, you should add that choice. As a grown adult, we don't see the long term dangers of drinking THC or using TG products is maybe different, but about the same as alcohol, because both have their distinct disadvantages to them, but by and large, it's a product that's not going to kill you in short order unless you abuse it like anything else. Seems to me, the easiest thing to do is just treat THHC and FUSE beverages like alcohol and move on.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree with you, and that's what the General Assembly thoughts, and you know, we'll we'll see what the referendumair.
Speaker 1: Enough he is Ohio State Senator Steve Huffman from up in Tipsity, just the tipsy. Thanks again, Senator, all the best, Thanks for jumping in the show and explaining things. And it's it's good to see tax revenue coming in from the sale of marijuana. I hate to say I told them so, but we told them so for the last twenty years. That's that's a lot of money that could change lives and help communities, especially during these difficult times.
Speaker 3: All the best, you take care.
Speaker 4: One more thing. Sure it's a billion dollar industry in twenty five and that's a billion dollars not into the hands of drug dealer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, exactly, exactly. All right, Well, you may make a case later for legalizing other things, probably not to look how hard it was to get marijuana. But you know, to each his own, I suppose Scott's Loan show seven hundred WWT girl starts of all sorts this morning, Sarah least social media times sports equals Sarah, Yeah.
Speaker 12: Sarah, Elise, One too eight is the social Do you know what one too eight stands for?
Speaker 9: Your birthday?
Speaker 1: Ding?
Speaker 3: Ding ding?
Speaker 12: Even in your old age, you are still wise my old age. I don't want to talk about it. I'm not there yet. I've got one or two or three. It's like twenty nine plus tax is where I'm at right now. We're not we're not quite at the big four zero. But today is the birthday.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Great day. We brought food in for you from Gonor's house.
Speaker 1: Oh how nice, delicious, A nice short red little basil pesto butterto.
Speaker 3: That's delicious. Yeah.
Speaker 12: We can eat more of that on the seventeenth for Fat Tuesday, for the big events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a martograph folks in earlier this morning. You'll be there. I will be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I will MC. I have a new one this year with Tom Brenneman.
Speaker 3: I know about that.
Speaker 12: He's in for a good time. I told him to take the next day off. What are you taking the day off.
Speaker 9: Week? That's week?
Speaker 3: What do you mean it's week?
Speaker 9: You should take it off. Then we can all go out together.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I took the Spirit Day. I'm like, no, we're going balls with the wall, sir.
Speaker 12: I used the Spirit Day for this one because I learned my lesson last year. I'm like, look, I'm here to party and have a good time, Yes, you are. I wake up way too early.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we got to take this chair, sleep until six o'clock. You, on the other hand, we're going to.
Speaker 12: Go out with Tom and I. I'm going to talk to you and Tom taking the day off, I think so. I think I talked him into it.
Speaker 3: I'll ask him.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So if you hear Steve the next day, or maybe Mike McConnell will come back out of retirement like our friend.
Speaker 3: Mark, You'll be there, Michae'll be there.
Speaker 9: Did you see that?
Speaker 12: Mark?
Speaker 9: And sales is back?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 9: What the hell is going on around?
Speaker 1: Whenever leaves here? No only people to get that leave and darn't invited back. Our people in this side of the microphone. Everybody else come on back, or.
Speaker 9: If they can't get in because of the snow.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little sports this morning here by the way, Marti graph for homeless kids on the seventeen. Sarah'll be there, I'm the king, Sheila Gray, John John and Tom Brenneman. Yeah, we're already party for a kid's chair. So anyway, Martin Grat twenty twenty six needs to sell some tickets here. It's a good mean for Valentine's If you're looking for something, it is awesome.
Speaker 12: It really is. The Joe Burrow Foundation. There are a big one on board this year, so it'll be it'll be great.
Speaker 9: Love it uh in.
Speaker 1: Big News Happy Birthday, by the way, thank you Big News.
Speaker 3: Miami.
Speaker 12: We're opening up again with the Miami RedHawks. We have we have nothing to day undefeated. This is something huge though. Had a huge crowd last night over like ninety two hundred kids showed up.
Speaker 9: Next Saturday. This upcoming Saturday's game sold out.
Speaker 3: Love It.
Speaker 9: I will be there in attendance. Tony Pike I believe is coming.
Speaker 12: Okay, so they're guaranteed the Bearcats to the red Ox.
Speaker 3: I can you imagine you and Pike Pike shows up. That's an l I am kind of worried Pike is lose.
Speaker 1: In front of us of Death and Sports on this morning, they had a little segment on can Miam of Ohio win the national title?
Speaker 3: No, I don't know that's that's a big ask. But it's pretty cool.
Speaker 12: To see Miami on It is being talked about nationally because the only other team that's undefeated right now is Arizona.
Speaker 9: So I believe they're twenty two and oh.
Speaker 12: Or twenty one to know like Miami coach again, I forget Travis Steele.
Speaker 3: I know where do I know that name from?
Speaker 9: Maybe from another team here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: And how that other team doing?
Speaker 12: You know what no one's doing as well as what the Miami RedHawks are doing right now in college basketball. But yeah, it is really cool to see my alma mater being praised on the national airwaves. And Travis Steele was on with Willie yesterday and he said, look, my family and I are really happy here in southwest Ohio.
Speaker 9: You do not have to worry.
Speaker 12: About us going anywhere. That's what he said to our friend Billy Cunningham.
Speaker 1: Spend in big programs and stuff, and it's like there's something to be said about being a little a big fish in a little ponds.
Speaker 12: Yeah, little Oxford Mac looking forward to being there this weekend.
Speaker 9: It's been a long time.
Speaker 3: I'm a Mac guy. My wife's a Mac guy. Maction, maction.
Speaker 9: I forgot your bgsu, aren't you g I.
Speaker 1: Did the sidelines in Toledo for a few years and I'm a MACA. You support the Mac love the Mac.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 12: Something aside from college basketball if you were worried, if you were one of those fans that were worried about Joe Burrow leaving, did you.
Speaker 9: Think he was going to leave Cincinnati?
Speaker 12: There were too many people on social media that were getting that rumor started. People on social media was trending, what was trending?
Speaker 1: Social killed Dave Lapham, for God's sake. So it doesn't right, I mean, just social media stupid. Yeah, lap is alive, and well, you're on social media a lot, and when it's it's really stupid. I've had to log off quite a few times lately. So I'm like, people are just too too angry.
Speaker 12: Well, Chase Brown is coming to Joe's defense and he goes, look, chill out. He's talking to CBS Sports. He goes, Joe's not going anywhere. I think that was totally blown out of proportion, and Chase went on to say it was definitely a good talking point for people.
Speaker 9: Gave the media something to talk about.
Speaker 12: The media, the media and the people of social media spreading that.
Speaker 9: Damn media a bunch of idiots. He's not going anywhere.
Speaker 12: Okay, Joe Burrow is still Oi.
Speaker 3: Shara's got a hydrate for this segment is how old this business.
Speaker 9: I just had to.
Speaker 12: Dig a sip, like I'm getting dehydrated sitting in here.
Speaker 3: Hard work. I gotta give you credit.
Speaker 12: Oh my yeah, what because I made it into work and some people didn't because of the quote unquote hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I said, here's the commitment Sarah has. She shows up to do the morning show it's a'm on Godly Hour and EBN and then comes in to do this segment right before noon. She's been here for seven eight hours at least, been a long day taking it from from the hills of Kentucky. Seg Dennison, is m I a for three straight days now?
Speaker 12: Tom Brenneman said, it's the ice. I guess the ice ice really bad and down.
Speaker 1: Why would it be Why would the ice be bad in Middleton nowhere else?
Speaker 12: It's not like it's not a part of this universe. I mean, I don't get it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 1: I could mind boggle. Monday, all right, if you can do your job from home, do you job from home.
Speaker 9: And that's what Christopher and I did on Monday.
Speaker 3: But yesterday was like, okay, well they got the roads. I drove it on fine. Today it's like the roads are completely dry.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the snow is nowhere near on the streets.
Speaker 1: It's just gonna I guarantee you he will be back Thursday.
Speaker 9: The roost is in tomorrow.
Speaker 3: His Chicken's coming out. I think it's a safe bet he'll be back tomorrow. Also, Joe Brow, how afraid are you?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I want to drive if he's on the road the same time, because if you're that scared of driving, you shouldn't be driving.
Speaker 12: You know, he's going five and a sixty five. It's best to stay home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got it. He'll drive in tomorrow, but he'll have his hazards on. He'll be in the left lane doing four.
Speaker 9: With an ambulance to his side.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 12: Still trending on social media Joe Burrow because a buddy of his took a photo of photo and a video of him playing the piano somewhere very tropical. So people are losing their minds over Joe Burrow playing the piano.
Speaker 9: Can check it out social It takes a lot.
Speaker 1: Right, he gets up in belches and it's like, oh my god, it's the greatest bel jubber.
Speaker 9: It's so hot.
Speaker 3: Goo lord it's Joe Burier exhausting if you're Joe in that regard.
Speaker 12: That's why he leaves, and that's why people thinking that he's going to leave Cincinnati than he's like, you guys are crazy here.
Speaker 9: What the heck's time?
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: It's all on social doesn't matter what goes when he puts stuff up there. That's what happened.
Speaker 9: He tries to be as private as he can.
Speaker 3: He should be, Yes, I get it.
Speaker 12: But yeah, some photos leaked of him with his family on vacation and now he's playing the piano somewhere with his buddies. But someone else who's trending, not exactly Cincinnati, but Bill Belichick.
Speaker 9: I know, we talk about him a lot on the airwaves.
Speaker 12: Berserk it is Berserki. So he's not going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Of course, this is according to Adam Schefter, who got that info out. Fell short of the forty out of fifty votes for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 9: What do you gotta do?
Speaker 1: You got fifty votes and you only need forty. Yeah, I mean that's pretty much a slamdunk, getn't it? Who are the ten idiots, it said.
Speaker 9: Nah, I don't get it. What's going through their heads?
Speaker 3: By Gates?
Speaker 1: Okay, great, there's two Controversi's great in the conference, but finding someone who isn't trying to you know, she's cutting quardies of winning.
Speaker 3: He's winning super Bowls. Mkay. If he was cheating that much, he would be kicked out of league.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, absolutely. Do you think he'll come back to the NFL get out of college?
Speaker 9: It's not really working.
Speaker 1: On it's not I think I think your window bust. I think a lot of things come. It's not just the coach, but it's also the you know, you've got Tom Brady, You've got all these other elements and New England.
Speaker 3: There's no question about it. I just is it the.
Speaker 1: Baseball writers that that were voting because they're an angry bunch too.
Speaker 9: Absolutely they are. There's always drama with them.
Speaker 1: So I guess that Tom Brady isn't going to get this in the Hall of Fame. He'll be a shoe in not using this logic. No, I don't think so. Also, I like Tom Brady in the booth. I've really enjoyed his commentary.
Speaker 12: This Season's better than he's been Yeah, he really did a great job.
Speaker 3: It's better he's getting back.
Speaker 12: I like his analysis, and I think he's entertaining and he's well spoken and whatever.
Speaker 9: I like him.
Speaker 3: I wish he was doing the Super Bowl better than Tony Romo?
Speaker 9: Yes, do you like him better than Worlds better?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 12: My husband asked me the same thing. He's like, well, why him over Tony Romo? He's just easier to listen to. Tony's a dork.
Speaker 9: I don't know. I don't like Tony Romo. I'm not a fan. Sorry, are you? Do you think of Tony?
Speaker 3: It's it's it's.
Speaker 1: So wishy washy, right, Like, It's like he'd be on one say, I mean you have to do that, you can't take sides. I guess it's he knows his stuff though. Man, he'll call a playout and it'll happen. Knows what he's talking about, of.
Speaker 9: Course he does. Yeah, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: What about Chris Collinsworth.
Speaker 12: Happy birthday to Chris Collinsworth. By the way, I think he had his birthday yesterday, so we're a day apart.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm asking.
Speaker 9: I like Chris Collinsworth, I like his son. I think they're a great duo.
Speaker 3: If he were from I don't know any other city you'd hate on maybe.
Speaker 9: Chris collins Worth.
Speaker 3: Have you ever said, shut up Chris of the TV?
Speaker 9: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I have good for you. Show up, Chris.
Speaker 12: I've heard he's a big fan of the Chiefs. You'll give a hard time for his love for Pat Mahomes and the Sheets. Okay, but it's like he can't really show favorites. He can't just go out and be a Bengals fan. Twenty four seven.
Speaker 9: He's trying to do a job right, so respectible you whatever.
Speaker 1: If it's local that that is the ass you're gonna get. Those slips are firmly.
Speaker 12: The Miami Redhak right twenty one and oh.
Speaker 3: All right, we got how much time? We got time?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we've got local hoops back tonight. The Bearcats are oh, Dave said, three minutes. Okay, Bearcats are back at Fifth Third Arena tonight. They're hosting Bayler tip off at six thirty Bears the Bears. Yeah, the Zager Musketeers are on the road. They've got Seaton Hall at seven thirty, which game is on the airwaves here the Bearcats.
Speaker 9: That's who we favor.
Speaker 3: Thank you the Bearcats.
Speaker 9: Here on the home of yours Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Reds on the home of the Cincinnata Bearcats.
Speaker 1: And then you got you got the Travis or I'm sorry, you got the u X, the X, the U via the u V. The X is playing on fifty five Arc D talk station.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Seg, thank you.
Speaker 12: Speaking of our ruds, fifty seven days to go until opening day.
Speaker 9: The countdown is countdown is officially on.
Speaker 12: How many days we've got Red Hawks and Ruds. God, I know my dad, being a huge Bengals fan every day sends me some sort of countdown.
Speaker 9: He's not really on board with baseball.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they've not done anything though to warranty.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm like, what are we What are we excited about? Zack moving forward?
Speaker 1: Arguably worse because other guys are gonna go right, all right, So be careful, Seg.
Speaker 3: If you drive it in today out of the peer pressure.
Speaker 9: No, we'll see him tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Maybe what's Chicken Day, He'll be here, segment here.
Speaker 12: Everyone be safe out there on the roads that have nothing on them. Yeah, all the words are clear, excepparently Middletown. It's the only one that's not.
Speaker 9: Middletown is under the snow and ice and dramas.
Speaker 3: They stole the plows and sold it for scrap.
Speaker 9: They forgot about them.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm more crack.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know how icy it is too? Seriously, it's so icy. The Camtaylor brit Only is doing twenty miles over the speed limit.
Speaker 12: Oh my god. I wasn't even going to bring it up. It makes me so mad.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: There's an acces morning on Fort washing Away. People calling the news from like crazy. It was car and it has it to be like seven o'clock in the morning. Somehow a car you may see on the news ended up with sticking straight up and down on the on the Uh, oh my god. And Fort Washington Away.
Speaker 9: I don't know how does that happen?
Speaker 1: Did you drive like an idiot? And I said, it's like it's between paycour and Great America. Like Cam turn to bring us a way into the stadium for some reason, we don't know about how anywhere Kay's cann that.
Speaker 3: Guy can he wreck?
Speaker 12: I'm done with Cam Taylor CTB. No, I cannot support So yeah, they've got to read that absolutely crazy behavior.
Speaker 1: They got a load all right. Anyway, Sarah Releas is here. Wish your happy birthday on our social media.
Speaker 9: Feedware, Sarah least one two eight one.
Speaker 3: Two eight, Happy fortieth for Sarah.
Speaker 9: Twenty nine plus tax.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of tax.
Speaker 9: That's not that much. It's not as much as you think.
Speaker 1: Like California, a little bit like New York City tax. I'm twenty nine attacks I'm forty.
Speaker 12: It's like twenty nine ish. We're not We're not at forty twenty. We are not at forty, not yet. I will not be here when I turned forty, I will not be here.
Speaker 3: You'll be here.
Speaker 12: I am getting out of Cincinnati, You'll be here. Uh huh, I probably will.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go.
Speaker 9: I well know where else am I gonna go.
Speaker 1: She'll be sitting in ten years, she'll be just walk into a restaurant somewhere at ten o'clock on a Tuesday morning. She's there, just in Covington, just ripping Virginia slims, doing shaw.
Speaker 12: Did you used to be Sarah Lee's Yeah, yeah, yeah, honey, all of a sudden, I'm taking up smoking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna go all the way down. Hey, hotie, Yeah he turned the mard shot, not exactly. Can I get my pictures, I guess Sarah tomorrow Morning kick Christie two seventy, Happy birthday, dear, thanks for popping and thank you for risking.
Speaker 3: Your life to come out of the icy road.
Speaker 1: I risked it all just to be here today. Sports person we have in the station, still dedicated to the craft. That's right, Sarah Least. Bill Cunningham, Sex and Able are next seven hundred WLW