Speaker 1: Welcome into the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove Leak presented by df We are live at the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Bank. Still plenty of good seats if you want to come down, enjoy a little dinner, have a cocktail, and you can even wager on some of the sports. They've got hundreds of TVs. It feels like, yes, they've got a lot. We've got a packed show today along with jim Day, I am Tommy Throw. It's great to be with you. Let's warm up the stove with some snow on the ground outside. We will be visiting with Spencer Steer a little bit later on. We also have rhtt Louder on the show today. We would usually start off the show with some news of what's been going on, but there's not a whole lot that's been going on. Just rumors starting to heat up on where Kyle Schwarber could end up landing, but of course you can read those all over the internet. If we have time, we may talk about what the Reds could be looking to do at the winter meetings. Those are right on the horizon, But Jimmy right now, not a whole lot going on in the world of baseball.
Speaker 2: Not a whole lot of Reds news. But after the show, since we're across the street from the stadium, how would you like to go have a catch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good weather for that. Yeah, with snowballs. Sure, yeah, we could fire some of those around. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how tough you are?
Speaker 1: Well, not that tough, you know. I can endure some pain. Not cold. Not cold. I don't like the cold even a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm ready for some baseball weather. Let's get on with it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Well, let's warm up with some talk of baseball. One guy that has been spending his fall where it's warm. That would be Rhet Louder. Missed the whole season Reds pitcher Rhet Louder after a great rookie season with Sideline this year with an injury, but made it back in time to pitch a little bit in the Fall League. HTT, thanks so much for joining us today on the Hot Stove League. How are you doing and how you feeling right now? Well, he thought Rhett was there maybe rhtt Nope, there he is, Hello, Rhetty, Hey there he is there. There we go. Nothing like some technical difficulties to start off the show. How you doing, man, how's your how's your winner?
Speaker 4: It's filling good, can't complain. Good to be back at home for a little bit, but kind of still on the ground getting ready for next year.
Speaker 1: Well you you obviously missed the whole season, but you made it back, pitched a little bit in in the Fall League. Uh, how did how did that go? And did you feel like you were you were pretty much one hundred percent or are you're still trying to knock off some of the rust.
Speaker 4: No, it's definitely good to get back in just that game atmosphere and starting to compete a little bit. You know, it's been a while. I mean it was a full year since my pretty much a full year to the calendar day until I've been I mean I had a couple of rehab starts here and there, but getting deep into games and getting the pitch count up. It's been the first time in a while, so you know, I felt good, body felt good, and I think by the time I left and was done, I was in a good spot to where I felt confident where my body was at, and then I was ready to compete next year.
Speaker 2: Oblique type injuries are some of the hardest to get over, and you can't rush them. I've been around a lot of guys that have had the injury, and after you sustained it, it looked like it even affected you walking, which was kind of weird. They listed this as one of the more severe ones. What was it like when it initially happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at first, I would probably say two weeks after it was it was pretty tough. I mean, you know, it was definitely the second the way I was walking and kind of just felt pretty stuck in one spot. You know, how to move pretty slow, and it took it took a while, but you know, once I got out the Arizona and it's kind of starting to be able to move a little bit, we got we got to work pretty hard, but yeah, you kind of have to let it run its course and just be patient.
Speaker 1: Now, when this thing first popped up, if I remember, right, uh, you kind of felt it for a while before it got bad. Did you have any idea this thing was going to all into the severity to where it would cause you to miss the entire season?
Speaker 4: Definitely not. Yeah, I mean there was a couple signs prior, but it was just weird things that I didn't really connect like in some of my reab starts. I would just after I would just get really sore my back, not even in the oblique area, and just the back would get really tight, and you know, once I stretched out pretty good, it just took me a while to get loose. I was fine, but I kept just finding myself just getting really sore back there pretty much stay in and day out, and it was a little off, but never a concern. I was always able to get out and pitch, and then it kind of just eventually went that one that one day in Louivio.
Speaker 2: Would you say that all that is behind you in your one right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I feel I'm lucky to be at a point right now where the oblique is not really even in in my head when I'm going out there and throwing and doing what I need to do. So that's a pretty encouraging feeling, and I feel pretty normal and I have no complaints.
Speaker 1: I always think that one of the biggest obstacles getting over an injury is kind of what you talked about right there, the mental side of it and being able to trust it. If nothing else did your your rehab outings in the minor leagues and even your your starts in the fall league kind of allow you to put that completely to rest, to where you don't even have to think about it now moving forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean I had a rehab start at the back end in Louisville, and you know, that was a good initial test to kind of see where I was at and it felt good. And then I had a couple outings and instructs prepping for theirs on a fall league, and you know, once I kind of got through those, I was like, all right, I can trust this thing and get after it. Just going into the fall league, just trying to get back into that compete mode some of those valuable reps I missed throughout the year, So just getting into different situations was kind of all I cared about. Carried about there and just knowing that my body was gonna hold up.
Speaker 2: You were able to compete physically, But did you do any learning by observing? Even being around your guy Chase Burns, who was in the learning process and I you you guys were in spring training together a lot. What do you think you've learned over this process?
Speaker 4: I mean, I've learned a ton from just watching the guy's play still and trying to take notes on just the game and also just about my body and how to take care of it.
Speaker 1: So it's good.
Speaker 4: I said it multiple times with different people that you never want to get hurt, but getting hurt earlier in my career like this, it kind of taught me a good routine that I'm going to carry on throughout the rest of my career. So there's definitely some positive things to take away from this. And yeah, definitely watching Chase. I mean, it was fun to watch him this year and and it was awesome to see him evolve into a couple of different roles and really just do whatever the team needed to and that's awesome. So it was fun to watch him and forward to getting back working with them.
Speaker 1: You obviously ramped up late in the year and going in it is like we've talked about the Fall League, but now it's the off season, so you're fully healthy. Now do you treat it like a normal off season or because you didn't pitch much last year, you maybe do a little bit more throwing than normal. How do you how do you treat this off season and especially now that you're fully healthy, how do you approach it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm just trying to get as ready as I can for spring training. I'm gonna get out to Arizona, maybe a couple of weeks before before pitcher and catcher report date, just to get hands on with some of our staff and just get ready. But I would say it's pretty normal that there's just a lot of stuff that I learned throughout the year that I'm bringing into this off season that has kind of helped me out a lot. So, I mean it looks a little bit different than all seasons in the past. I've got a lot more work to do, but you know, I'm still my main goal is to prep and be as ready as I can for when spring training comes.
Speaker 2: Where are you with refining your repertoire And for those that don't know, if you can just tell them that the pitches that you throw and what do you think you need to do to improve each?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I throw two different fastballs out there, a sinker forcing also change up and slider. So I mean the shapes and everything felt normal, if not better in the Fall League than what I previously had. So below ticked up just the hair on the average, nothing crazy, but just happy with where I was at, So I think the main thing that I need is just getting back to the pitch calling side is something I was like really in tune with at the back end of that would have been the twenty four season. So that's something I really missing that time, something I need reps back with, and I do it all the time in my head, just watching games back, trying to see what I would throw here, what I would throw here, and then you know, just getting creative with different placements. You know, there's some pitches that I have to throw the area if you don't see it. Ton of pitches okay, like the back door breaking ball and the back foot breaking ball are the front hip sinker to a lefty. There's just some ways I can get creative, and I just need to be able when those pitches are called. I need to be able to execute them at high rate.
Speaker 1: You made six starts during that twenty twenty four season, you only gave up four runs. You had a one point one seven ERA, and your rookie year, you strikeout to walk numbers were good. So when you look at what you did in that first season, you obviously had a lot of momentum. How do you build off that. And you know so often pitchers will talk about getting reaction from the hitters and getting feedback from the hitters. Well, the hitters didn't do a whole lot off of you. So so what were you able to learn from your little taste of the big leagues there in twenty twenty four to move forward? And you know you talk about pitch shapes and location, but were you able to learn much from from what the hitters told you that first year?
Speaker 4: Oh? Definitely, ton it was. It was more so like obviously the hitters. My main goal with attacking hitters is just to get him off the barrel. I get some swinging mess but that's not what I rely on. I'm trying to get the guy out as fast as possible, get him out of the box as quick as possible, and and just the defense at the big league level, and some of our guys play a special brand of defense, so it's just nice trust in those guys. And I'm really just trying to get the ball on the ground or off the barrel and week at some of our guys so we can get back in the dugout and try to score some runs. So I'm trying to be out in the fields as little amount of time as possible.
Speaker 2: Had you not been injured, I think you firmly would have been in the rotation this past year. Gonna be a little bit of competition now, it's it's a good problem to have. The starting pitching staff is the strength of this organization right now. How are you looking at going into some competition in spring training?
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, I think that's a good thing to have. Within the team, everybody's competing and pushing, pushing each other be better. But honestly, it's just I don't want to do anything I can't help the team, and just getting back on the field and competing and trying to be my best version whatever that may be. Wherever it is however I'm used, it doesn't matter to me. I'm just looking forward to being back in the clubhouse with the guys on the field, just trying to be my best version of myself. And I think we're just lucky to be in a spot where we have so many talented arms, especially in the in the rotation.
Speaker 1: You kind of talked about watching film and things like that. So for you, what is your process of trying to get better? I mean, is it is it spending a lot of time in the film room, or do you get more out of the actual bullpens that you throw flat work? What for you? What is your process to try to make those incremental improvements.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything's important. How you do it all is kind of really important. You can't ease up in anyone area. It really depends on the time of the year too. So like obviously this time of the year, you're you're getting your body in shape and you're trying to build up those reps and bulletproof yourself. And yeah, you still break down some film and look at some stuff now, but obviously when you're in season, do you want to break down, You're gonna spend more time on the iPad looking at film rather than in the in the weight room trying to add as much strength as you can. But you know, everything's important. I would say as you get deeper into the season, some of your bullpens kind of turn into fine tuning what you already have. I mean, it's some guys do it, but it's tough to go out there and just invent a new pitch and and throw it in in the middle of a in the middle of the season. But I mean, guys do it. It's not impossible. I'm just you know, just your focus is a little bit different. So I would say it's all important and and you can't. There's time and place for all, but you just have to be intentional whenever it's that time.
Speaker 1: Well, Ratt certainly appreciate the time. Glad to hear you're healthy and can't wait to see you back on the mound this spring. Yeah, thank you, guys, All right, thanks. That is Rhet Louder joining us on the Budweiser reds Hot Stove lee big leg hair right there. Yeah, oh yeah, we need to see that back on a big league count yep, big league hair.
Speaker 2: But I love watching him pitch and I love how he said, I want to get guys out as quickly as I can and rely on the defense and not rely on the swing and miss. You need swing a miss at times, obviously in situations.
Speaker 3: But I love that answer.
Speaker 1: I like the way he goes about it. I mean, this is a guy that love watching him. Right when he got to the big leagues, you knew that he was different, and it's because of that you induce weak contact when you get guys out early in the count.
Speaker 3: Go deeper in the game through less Bitch.
Speaker 1: Absolutely hellajah, Oh my goodness. Can't wait to see him back on the mound. He was sorely missed last year, so that is rhet louder. We've got more to come on this edition of the Budweiser reds Hot Stove Lee Gold Glove finalists Spencer Steer will be joining us a little bit later on in the show. We continue next on the REDS Radio Network, having a great time as always on the Butterweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF. We are live at the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks. Gapper is here hanging out with all his friends and you can be too. Come on down and join us. Join the REDS Community Fund for the annual twenty twenty six Prestige av and Creative Services Rick Steiner Memorial Poker Tournament presented by bet MGM on Saturday, That's January the seventeenth. Play for your chance at a guarantee ten thousand dollars first place prize and other cash prizes as well. Registrations are open now at reds dot com slash Poker. I'm hoping Jimmy that my voice hangs on for the rest of the show. It's struggling, but.
Speaker 2: Sure you're not the only one of these parts that are struggling right now.
Speaker 1: No, probably not.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'd like to complain about Winner a lot, you know, because we're just a complaining society. However, this is a little early, don't you think, for the snow. Yeah, for the cold, it's set a record, so yeah, i'd say it's atally yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Little early. Wasn't quite ready for it. Although I will say this, if it's going to be cold, it may as well snow because I don't mind the snow. I don't like the cold. So if it's going to be cold, bring on the snow. We got it, so uh. Anyway, it was great talking with Red Louder and one of the things that we talked about when we had him on was the crowded rotation and the fact that there is as things sit right now unless there's unless something changes between now in March, I guess February there's going to be a battle for the rotation. Now, there's obviously some openings in the bullpen. But but Jim, I don't know that I necessarily see any of these rotation options moving to the bullpen right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got to have some depth, and unfortunately someone's always the odd.
Speaker 3: Man out and goes to triple A. Those that have.
Speaker 2: Options that you can do so, so it's gonna be interesting. I mean, as we sit here now, it's it's Hunter Green, it's Andrew Rabbit, it's Lodolo, it's Chase Burns most likely, although we saw him in the bullpen a little bit, that could be an option. I don't know I would keep him as a starter. You have Brady Singer who eats inting. So as we sit here now with no moves being made or one of those guys being traded away, where does a guy like Rhet Louder fit? Are you gonna have open competition? Is it gonna be between louder and Chase Burns? Would you flirt with one of those guys in the bullpen? Who's gonna be your Triple A depth?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: The good news is are gonna get some guys back from injury that could serve as as depth. Brandon Williamson, we talked about him a little bit last week before he got injured. He was really showing signs what's he gonna do coming back from major injury unknown. Aggie Aar is coming back who served as some depth. They re signed Carson Spires to a minor league deal. He's been a depth guy. So it's gonna be very very interesting. And along the Chase Petty could be in that mix as well. He's obviously got some He's gonna need to make some strides to be in that mix.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be very very interesting. It should be a strength of the team once again. And the old adage, it starts with starting pitching, and it's good place to start.
Speaker 1: They got a good group. We've heard Tito say it before. When you think you have too much starting pitching, go ahead and go out and get some more. The thing about when when you talk about some of those guys and see I think Aggieyar is one of those candidates that would be a perfect Nick Martinez type of guy. He can start when you need him to, but you can also move into the bullpen and he'd probably be a pretty good option of the bullpen. With regards to the Chase Burns, he proved last year that he needs to still learn another pitch. Yeah, he's got some progress to make now. Look, he's got an electric arm. But I think you kind of use that maybe a little bit as an incentive for him to try to push him to get to a point where he's got another pitch and another weapon to make him a quality starter. If he doesn't show you that he's got that in spring training, maybe that does open the door for a.
Speaker 2: Guy like he's got no hitter type stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh he's got.
Speaker 2: So it's you know, you kind of just let that grow.
Speaker 1: So we're back with Spencer Steer when the Butdweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by u DF Live from the bed MGM Sports Book inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks continues next on the REDS Radio Network. Welcome back in with the Budweiser Red Hot Stove League presented by u d F. We are well, we're rocking. We are live at the bed MGM Sports Book inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks with Jim Day. I'm Tommy throw Out Producer Engineer David at the Arm Bruce and Joe Waddell is running the dials back in our network headquarters. Thanks to those guys for their hard work, We've got another great guest for it talking Reds Baseball for the next half hour. And this guy a first base Gold Glove finalist this year, Spencer Steer, one of the leaders of this team. Spence, thanks so much for taking some time out of your winter to join us. Are you hanging out in Denver? I bet you got a little snow on the ground out that way. How are you doing?
Speaker 5: Hey, come on, guys, thanks for having me on. And yeah, finally got some snow. It's actually been a very mild winter so far, so I've been getting a lot of golfer thankfully.
Speaker 1: Wow golf, how about that. That's impressive. Well, not a lot of golf to be had here, Spencer. I know. I remember talking to you when you first started playing first base, and one of the things you told me I asked, I said, do you think you'll ever get used to first base? And you go, I don't think I'll ever get used to this? And the glove was a big factor. Did you ever dream that when you first put on a first baseman's mid that you would be in the conversation for a gold Glove over there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, kind of crazy to here in that light, but yeah, it's just it was always a little bit of a just a funky position for me, just never really getting a whole lot of time over there consistently. My first couple of years was always kind of here and there. So I think last year just getting the consistent reps, you know, pregame knowing I'm gonna play there, getting my my prep work in every day at VP, and I really gotta, you know, pay a lot of that to nap And and Freddy. They did a great job with me, helping me get comfortable over there and really helping me improve as the year went on.
Speaker 2: When did you feel comfortable? Was there a moment where you just said, pretty.
Speaker 3: Good over here.
Speaker 5: I think it's kind of gradually came about, like I said, like just getting the everyday reps over there, Like the first two years, just kind of bouncing around from position to position.
Speaker 4: It's it's tough to get.
Speaker 5: Really like dialed in with your reads and your first steps, especially at the first base position. Those balls in the three four hole where you know, you take one step to your right and you end up going back to the bag, and then it gets a little it gets a little hairy getting close with the play. So little things like that really helped me when I was playing every day, just just sharpening up those reads.
Speaker 1: Do you think the fact that you weren't real comfortable over there almost made it incentivized, did a little bit more for you to do the work and put in the work to get better over there. But nobody likes to do something that they're not comfortable with, So you know, when you're gonna be over there pretty regularly, you may as well do everything in your power to get comfortable to that. Did that almost help you in a way?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it really just started in spring training. You know, when I came to spring training, my shoulder was still banged up and I wasn't throwing. I just kind of went to first base and took ground balls there because I could, you know, take a ground ball and flip it to first. So I think it really just started in spring training, getting a lot of reps over there, and then, like you said, like, knowing I'm gonna play there, got to figure out a way to to to be good and help the team out. Because I think I've said this a lot before, Like I think a lot of pride and helping on both sides of the ball. So if you're not producing offensively, you can make a difference on defense and vice versas. So they really just started in spring training with with those extra reps.
Speaker 2: Beyond the adjustment to the first basement's glob, what was the hardest part of becoming good over there? Because you know, people say, oh, just throw that gud first base it's the easiest position on field. There's no easy position at the big league level. What was the hardest part with you? Was it footwork or or was it something else?
Speaker 5: I think, I mean one of the I guess the hardest part that I ever really thought about when it comes to first base was was you know, your footwork when when getting ready to catch a throw from you know, shortstop, third base, second base, whatever it is, and really just pushing the envelope on on how far I can get off that bag, uh and still get to first and cover. So it was really just kind of testing my limits, honestly, on how far I can play over in that four hole? How many hits can I take away in that four hole when you know Maddie whoever or whoever's playing second base is shifted up the middle. So I think just finding that limit of of how far I can get off that bag and uh, you know, still making it back to first and covering for a throw.
Speaker 1: You know, I I I think sometimes uh, you're always comfortable with what you're familiar with, and maybe you don't necessarily want to go to a different position because it it is different, it's uncomfortable. But I've heard of guys that that did that and they switched positions, they went to a new spot, and then they ended up loving that and didn't want to go back to maybe an old spot. For you, I know you still like moving around a little bit and you like other positions, But did you kind of start to fall in love with with first base? Did you did you start to feel that a little bit?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I just kind of gotten a rhythm over there, and and I really took pride in and helping, you know, infillers out. I know I'm not the you know, I could have done better scooping the ball, and you know that's that's probably the one place I can see the best or most improvement. But just kind of helping guys out when when they make a poor throw and picking them up and yeah, just just taking hits away from guys. You know that that's that's a fun part of the game. So definitely, definitely really a position that I didn't necessarily love at first and and really grew to love as the season went on.
Speaker 2: First base is a unique position in that you get a lot of interaction with the dudes from the other team on first base. There's been many, many stories over the years. Anything unusual that you might have said to someone, or more importantly, any weird things said to you, anything you'd like to share in that regard thing happened unusual.
Speaker 5: That's a good question. So yeah, I mean, yeah, I mean there's plenty of conversation that goes on over there. Some of it is, you know, just hey, what's going on? And yeah, some other stuff could be weird, you know, some weird stuff. If you said, over there, baseball a tough game mentally here a.
Speaker 3: Lot of.
Speaker 5: I mean, uh, I got some things in mind that don't really feel comfortab Will Sherry on this particular show. But uh yeah, you know, you get to know guys a little more over there than you would and you know, left field.
Speaker 1: All right, how about this, it was there you deal with some good hitters over there. Good hitters tend to get on base quite a bit. You go through ups and downs as a hitter, you've got a chance to pick some guys brains on the other team. Did you Did you ever pick any hints up or or tips from guys at first base to kind of help you through a slump?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, yeah, yes, And no, there's there's not really a story. I guess the story that sticks out to me was an Anaheim. I think Trout had a hit or a walk something like that, and you know, a pitching change happens, and he was just talking to me about how crazy the game's gotten and how guys he's never heard of are coming in the game throwing one hundred and every guy he sees out of both and stilling one hundred. And I just that was kind of something that stuck out to me because that's a guy I grew up watching who's dominated the game of baseball the last decade, and he's out here telling me how hard the game's gotten. So that kind of opened my eyes a little bit.
Speaker 2: Hey, for the record, I'm sure you hear some unusual things from the opposing team, but probably not as much grief or unusual things you hear from when mcclean's playing second base, because you guys are chirping the entire time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we like that fun over there. We like to have a good time, and we spend a lot of time together on that side of the diamond this year, so yeah, we like to keep it light. He for sure likes to keep it light. So we have a good time over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more things we can't talk about on this show.
Speaker 1: I assume that's a lot of trash down right, Like, oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I hear it from the dugout, so you believable.
Speaker 1: So if he kicks one or you kick one, are you giving each other a hard time about it? Are you letting them know?
Speaker 5: I think it really depends on the situation of the game. But if it's a tight game and that one kind of hurts, I might I might wait a little bit till the next day or maybe the next inning, but ut possibly I'll let them know right away.
Speaker 1: That's good, all right? Cool h We've got more to talk to you. You got time to stick around through a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no problem.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we'll talk a little hitting when we come back. We've got more with Spencer Steer when we return. It's the Budweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by u d F Live with the bet MGM Sports Book inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks on the Reds Radio Network. It's the Butdweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF or Live the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks. Visiting with Spencer Steer Gold Glove finalists this year over at first base and kind enough to stick around with us fornother segment. Spencer, we talked about the time you spent at first base, what a great job you did over there. You've also done a nice job when you've played third, You've done a good job out in left field. It sounds like this year you could be moving around a little bit again. How does that affect your preparation this offseason going into spring training or or does it affect your your preparation at all?
Speaker 5: No, I think I think it more affects like the preparation on a daily basis. When we're talking about where I'm doing my pregame work, whether I'm taking fly balls, you know where I'm taking my ground balls. So in terms of the offseason, doesn't doesn't change much on the preparation side.
Speaker 2: You guys went from the euphoria of popping Champagne getting into the playoffs, and then it was a quick exit. I mean, the Dodgers are obviously a great, great team. Now that the dust has settled, What do you take from that experience and what's going to be the mindset if you could speak for the group going.
Speaker 4: In, Yeah, I think the big thing I took away is.
Speaker 5: One the feeling of popping Champagne was like, uh, doing it with a group that you've spent every day with for the past eight months. So that was that was a pretty awesome experience. Uh, incredible feeling. So just having that feeling alone and and and wanted to chase that uh you know, feels me at least uh pretty heavily throughout the off season and obviously getting.
Speaker 4: A little taste of playoff baseball.
Speaker 5: That was that was a great experience, but like you said, it was a quick two games and didn't really stand much of a chance. So I think just going to the off season and knowing that there's still a lot of work to do to get back to that spot and then hopefully make a deeper run than that. So I think Uh, we're all fired up and and and ready to get this thing rolling. Obvious see in a couple of months. But like I said, a lot of work to do to make a deeper run.
Speaker 1: Talk about that work for you personally? I mean, I know that that your bat wasn't where you you wanted it to be last year. How do you how do you get that to a level that you're happy with moving into twenty twenty six?
Speaker 5: I think, Uh, I think one, it starts with health, you know, I think getting my body in a in a better spot going into the season, and and and making it more bulletproof for for one hundred and sixty two games is probably a number one on the priority list. And and then just continue to refine the swing and uh make it more efficient and make it more repeatable, and then uh kind of go from there. I think, Uh, obviously getting off to a good start helps, and that's something I'm I'm hoping to do this year.
Speaker 2: How would you describe playing for Terry RANCONA.
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: He's Ah, He's just an incredible leader. I think, Uh, just looking back to last offseason around this time, you know, the first couple of conversations I've had with him. Uh, he's just he's genuine. He uh. He cares a lot about about you as a person, and and and he makes the he makes his messages simple. He expects a lot out of you. But what he expects is things that you can control as as as a player, and that's playing the game the right way, uh, and playing the game hard. And I think, uh, like I said, he keeps that message really simple, but it's it's a it's a really impactful message. And and the kind of guy that commands the room. And when he starts talking to everyone stops what they're doing and they listen.
Speaker 1: Well, Spencer, start appreciate the time. Before we let you go, I want to I want to revisit the conversation you're talking about briefly before the break. I wrote in here something that that I thought I was gonna ask before, and I didn't ask it yet. So I gotta know. Who's somebody that you met at first base that you had a chance to talk to that was so fascinating. You're like that dude would make an awesome teammate that that you'd want to play with in the future.
Speaker 5: Oh man, that's a that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I think Oh.
Speaker 4: God, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of guys. Uh. It's like funny when you play first base.
Speaker 3: And you.
Speaker 5: When you play first base and then a guy also plays first base every day, you see him a lot. Right, That's what it seems like, right, Like if you're getting on base, there, get them on base. You're just constantly like, say, it's up to each other. I've always really liked, uh talk with Michael but from the from the Cubs, I played against him a toon when he was with the Dodgers, uh, coming up with the Twins, So in the minor leaguees played against him a ton. Anyways, I think he's he's an awesome dude. I think he's an incredible hitter. So I I think I think i'd go with him.
Speaker 1: Okay, does Freddy Freeman say much?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's he's kind of I feel like he has that kind of reputation of being a guy that a lot of people have good conversations with. And yeah, every time I've been at first base, I wouldn't say we're, you know, doing philosophical talks about space or life or anything like that. But he's always been great to me. So Yeah, he's he's he's another girl.
Speaker 1: Test on how to hit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's actually a lot of first base out there that you'd probably get some tips from, so no doubt.
Speaker 1: Well, Spencer certainly appreciate the time. I'm sure we'll again throughout the offseason. But thanks so much for joining us. Great to chat and catch up. Hey, can you do me a favor. I'm sure you'll see him around the holidays, But cheers your grandma and grandpa and your mom and dad for me.
Speaker 5: I will appreciate it. Guys, Thank you, see.
Speaker 1: Spence, thank you Spencer Steer joining us on the Budweiser Red Hot Stove. He always a treat to chat with him, and you know he talked about it. The body is going to be a key for him.
Speaker 3: His first how many have bats?
Speaker 2: I mean a month the season that he was he just hu months took I mean he basically took one for the team. He did because he had no business playing every day, but they needed him to.
Speaker 1: And he's a gamer. He's a gamer. He's going to answer the bell. We'll wrap things up coming up shortly, but before we go to break, we do have some sad, somber news to pass along our dear friend for a long long time, the stage manager in the Red Home television booth, Jesse Jackson, passed away last week and our thoughts were with his family. He will be sorely missed throughout the court the season. And somebody, Jim, that I know you knew very well well, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe we have to walk in the booth without Jesse. I I've been around here since two thousand and one. Constant staple was Jesse in that TV booth. And they say that the reflection of a good man or woman is the children that they have and they raise, and he's got a fine family. His children are just wonderful and wonderfully successful. He was so proud of his grandkids and just sorely missed his news. We found out last week was a tough show. I had found out just before airtime of last week's show. Didn't want to mention it because I'm not wasn't sure if it was public yet. But what a good man, what a good man, And he will be sorely, sorely missed. And not only for the Reds. He he was a sage manager for a lot of sports round Cincinnati and you could say behind the scenes of Cincinnati Icon.
Speaker 1: No doubt, God rest his soul. Jesse will be missed. We wrap up the show next on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back in. It's the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove Lee coming to you as always from the bet MGM Sports Book inside Tom's watchbar down here at the Banks. Give the gift of Reds Baseball this holiday season with Red's Holiday Flex Ticket vouchers. Your favorite Reds fan will get to choose which games they want to see you in twenty twenty six. Visit Reds dot com slash Holiday for details. We're out of time on this show. We'll be back at it again next to do today. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Turn the lights on across the tree, Let's have a catch, come on, let's go.
Speaker 1: Sounds great, Let's do that. That's all for us, for Jim Day and for our producer engineer Dave dy Armbers. You're also thanks to our guest today Rhet Louder and Spencer Steer. Joe Waddell has been our studio producer today. I'm Tommy Throug. Good night. Talk to you again next Wednesday.