Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here's a guy that is very much having a lot of withdrawal issues of David Vassay this offseason, and that's my guy, number sixty six, Tanner Scott. Welcome live to Dodger Talk. That's right live. Does that change things?
Speaker 1: Real quick? Real quick? Is that a two pay or no.
Speaker 2: Come on feeling? That was our thing? I feel it, you gotta New York.
Speaker 1: I will say it. I won't say it's fine. I won't say we did win that way, So I have to say I know exactly do it as much as you want perfect. But my good friends at Bosley would push back on that sponsorship. Hey, let's sponsor sponsor album? Still balld, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Let me see your ball home.
Speaker 1: We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Really, you didn't. You didn't big shave it.
Speaker 1: I did clean shave it for this to put a hat on. Okay, Hey, Willy Smith, Hey will.
Speaker 2: He's emerged from hibernation. Nobody has heard from this guy since he hit his go ahead home run in the eleventh inning.
Speaker 1: That was special.
Speaker 2: I know where were you when he hit that.
Speaker 1: I was sitting in the bullpen, watching waiting hopefully we got to hoist the trophy and then Migyro tied up the game and then Will took us to the Promised Land. So yeah he did. I was just sitting there watching Kershaw throw. I mean, yeah, that was his last technical bullpen in the playoffs, so that was cool.
Speaker 2: What was that like because after it was all said and done, he said he had no idea.
Speaker 1: Oh no he was. He was warming up, and uh I was. I mean, I was just watching. I was like, it's one of the greatest ever. Do it right there, Dodger legend.
Speaker 2: So did you see MOOKI turned the double player.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like a head turn. So I saw it.
Speaker 2: But uh, did you leave the bullpen or did you let him know? Hey we won?
Speaker 1: No, at that moment, we just want to know. I was, I was. I didn't know he was still throwing. I kind of just left.
Speaker 2: My body and just went, yeah, hey, I was telling people, everybody's talking about Tucker.
Speaker 1: It's great. Everybody's talking about your great offense. You're great starting pitching.
Speaker 2: But now with Edwin Diaz and Tanner Scott in.
Speaker 1: The same bullpen, the trumpets, I can't wait to hear them. Timmy Trumpet. Ready the name of it, Tommy Trumpett. I can't wait to hear it. Hopefully we get the like the actual live guy to do it like they did, and ye, that would be cool. I've been in contact with Timmy Trumpett to be into this show. Is he here today? Yeah?
Speaker 2: He has responded to my DM so I don't know if he did.
Speaker 1: I did. I can show it. You need proof, I will show it to you. I know I need proof right now. He's on tour right now? Sure? Sure, sure, I'm tour when Diaz is here. Yes, tour is here. Do you want me to lay down a track for you to come out to this year?
Speaker 2: I could. I could figure out something. I take it this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, new song right yeah, okay, fire away or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know, all right, love it. I'm a big Killers fan. Give it the Killers.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me something and I'm probably gonna shoot it down, but I'll think about it.
Speaker 2: Springsteen, can we get Springsteen?
Speaker 1: Now? You?
Speaker 2: What do you want hip hop? You want to connect with the young kids? The Coconuts song? Yeah, there's a coconut song out there.
Speaker 1: It's it's bad. Actually, there's a. There's a lot of songs like we were listening to Hot Coco, some Kits song. Yeah, and my son is in love with Hot Coco. Now it's yeah, he's two. That's bad. I know, I got I got a fourth grader. It only gets where's there? Yeah, they grow so fast it's scary. I know.
Speaker 2: So do you. I remember when you were just a Marlin and now you're a Dodger.
Speaker 1: Briol Marlin, the other team in California. Yeah, and then here.
Speaker 2: Yes, hey, I know last year did not go the way that you wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yees.
Speaker 2: So how how have you cleaned the slate? What's your off season been like?
Speaker 1: Off seasons was good, hanging out with my family, spending time with them. Looking back at twenty twenty five, realizing I threw too many strikes in the zone of two strikes and uh, I mean that's I'm I should put away that guy and I left I left too many the ball over the heart of plate, and that's never good. I mean, I think I could take myself deep at that point. I don't know, that's a lot. I don't think wand could bump me though, so we'll go with that. But no, they just reflected on the year. It wasn't the greatest year for me, but I mean we walked away out of the ring and three peat two for me, I'll take that. And then you were trying to come back, and then you had that freak sickness, injury, infection, how do you want to describe it? Something? Yeah, something that put me put me in the hospital bed. So it wasn't great. I mean I was fighting my wife going to the hospital because I was like, I can get through it. I can get through it. And then it was to the point where it was just getting too bad. We don't want to go into like whatever sepsist right, yes, full that's dangerous. Yeah, so taking my wife for that.
Speaker 2: You have such great energy this year. Just walking in here, I could feel like the energy the vibe for ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty twenty five was over. Like I looked at my wife and I love it. On New Year's we don't make it to the ball drop. That's too late. We got a son, too way too late. So she looked at me, she goes New Year, Yeah, quite perfect, and it feels like you know what to expect a little bit more. Yeah, I mean we get to see Dean Kim Moore with Kim So that's cool. I don't like very much, but he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, who have you missed the most being away from your teammates?
Speaker 1: Who missed most? Me?
Speaker 2: I'm not your teammate, but probably Ves Bessie. Yeah. Have you talked to him?
Speaker 1: Oh? Face signs me all the time. Wow, face signs me all the time. You must be Uh, I'm in his I'm in his contact. So interesting. Oh yeah, you don't, do you? No, that's fine, No, that's fine. I'll let him know to call you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll see him in spring training.
Speaker 1: I'll tell him to stay away.
Speaker 2: But yes, so do I. You're end of the of the Dodger clubhouse in spring training. You have to make a very long walk. And when a reporter walks to your end of the clubhouse from our entrance.
Speaker 1: Point, it's a long walk. In ours in Arizona at camel Back Ran, Oh yeah, that one's a long walk.
Speaker 2: You guys see me coming a mile away.
Speaker 1: Everyone just dances in the same spot by my locker. Yeah. Yeah, I'm out of there. Yeah, I'm out of their food room, wait, wait room somewheres. Yes, like they gotta you gotta go towards the not by my walker. Okay, you got nothing to talk to me about.
Speaker 2: Hey, I loved you got street cred with me when you introduced me to Derek Carr last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, great raider. Who are you picking in the Super Bowl this year?
Speaker 1: It's funny. I didn't know who was playing in the Super Bowl until they asked me before I talked to Oral.
Speaker 2: And that just says everything, because nobody cares about this Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I grew up with Cleveland Browns fan. They don't ever say that again. I'm a Browns fan. You've been through a lot. I'm from Ohio.
Speaker 2: Who's your quarterback?
Speaker 1: Who's the Browns quarterback right now?
Speaker 2: Is it Shador Sanders?
Speaker 1: Is that this guy?
Speaker 2: It's Sad Sanders.
Speaker 1: I don't watch it.
Speaker 2: Watch I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it's Seattle Seahawks versus Patriots. I know Tom Brady doesn't play anymore. Okay, Russell Wilson is no longer in Seattle.
Speaker 2: I want this guy in my gambling pool, you know, maybe get him over with some squares.
Speaker 1: Dad, you're just stealing from me at that point, exactly. That's not cool.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but you can help those school fund. No, no, I.
Speaker 1: Got the yogurt pouch fund right now. Man sons eat those things more than chicken nuggets. Speaking of chicken nuggets, yep, here's something raisin canes or Chick fil A Okay, two different categories. Really, it's chicken tenders versus chicken sandwich chicken nuggets.
Speaker 2: I love the nuggets.
Speaker 1: No, no, if you're going to Chick fil a spicy chicken sandwich with the regular chicken sandwich with Polynesian sauce.
Speaker 2: Not Chick fil A sauce, No, it's like I go.
Speaker 1: To Polynesian and then the random mix up of Chick fil A sauce but raisin cane It's it's a caniac subs tout the coal sloth for an extra Texas toast sauce.
Speaker 2: I know my order there, geez, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's funny. It was only it was raising case was like a Southern thing, right, and now they're starting to pop up more. Are there's there one here? There's something that my old home though, my old church right there on to paying follow me home?
Speaker 2: All right? Okay, thank you Tanner, great to see you.
Speaker 1: Great to see you. Hey, the Harry.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sign a ball for you.
Speaker 1: Sign my bottle? Do you have Do you have a Do you have a sharpie? Ye? Do you have a sharpie. He's gonna sign my water bottle.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna want to picture him.
Speaker 1: The thing is, I'm gonna put it into my walker and see if the cleaner strowed away?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly? How dare you Tanner? Scott loves to hate me?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I don't love to hate you. I mean, you're you're You're not bad to talk to him?
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'll take talk to but yeah, I'll take that. I'll take all that.
Speaker 1: Just choke. Hey, I'm the only guy that is letting the secret out that this Dodger bullpen is going to bring the hammer down this year. We're still live right now? Right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can I call over Will for a second?
Speaker 2: Will Smith? Hey, wake of hibernation? Will Will? Will come out of hibernation?
Speaker 1: Will? Can you come here for a second?
Speaker 2: Come over here?
Speaker 1: No, one second.
Speaker 2: Your teammate's calling you over here. You can't. If you're a real teammate, you would come over here. Will Smith. I just want to know, guy hits a game. Winning home run. It's too big for radio. Now guy hits a game winning home run? Too big for radio.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna sign this water bottle for Tanner Scott. I'm gonna see if the cleaner throw it out. Do you think the cleaners throw it out? Yes? Yes, yes, Hey, the cleaners go. What are you writing to?
Speaker 2: Tanner?
Speaker 1: Good luck? I don't want your phone number, Dave? What number? What's your favorite number? You gotta put a number on there? You got your favorite number? Yeah, you got there's no you're just signing it. Are you just gonna put a microphone? That would be cool? Snail Zilla's that's taken. Snails, that's taken. You can't, it's taken. It's someone already wears that. You gotta pick a new one, new one. Just put a one in from Oh, that's that's show. Hey, No, you can't do seventy one either. Who's seven one?
Speaker 2: How about River Ryan? That's my pick to click here?
Speaker 1: So you got to add another number? All right? That doesn't even exist, eight.
Speaker 2: Hundred and seventy seven. There we go, all right, Tanner Scott, it's always a thrill. You don't even have any pool to get Will Smith on the show. No, honestly, he was like, Dave, I know, Stiff, that's not that's not my fault. I'll go talk to him inside. Yeah, I see how his family's doing. Yeah, he doesn't want to talk to you. See how many how many works a sentence? Oh no, no, sorry, we don't have time. Nobody's coming back, Tanner, Tanner, you know what my mantra is in life, they always come crawling back.
Speaker 1: Hey, I who has come crawling back? I have one question?
Speaker 2: The world series? Here Will Smith fake?
Speaker 1: I'm out on this one. Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: You don't have any questions for him.
Speaker 1: How's how's the fam? How's perfect? Here you go? Will Smith? See Tanner, thank you, thank you for roping them in. I signed a water bottle for him for coming on.
Speaker 2: Wow, we're live?
Speaker 1: Oh sorry for live? Yeah yeah, usually you pre record these, I know, but this is live. It's Dodger Fest. I know.
Speaker 2: Great, all right to be able to trap you in. You know, I'm the one guy that has kept your name alive this offseason. Ross ROAs is on like a world tour. Good every radio station, every TV station you turn on Rojas. He deserves the shine.
Speaker 1: Absolutely do.
Speaker 2: But I have been. You're spokes a spokesperson all season long, Sports Net, LA, Dodger Talk, MLB Network. I'm speaking for you. I'm your Will Smith promoter. Perfect do you feel do you need me to do the rest of the interviews?
Speaker 1: Answer for me?
Speaker 2: You'd be right here and I'll answer for Will Smith. How did it feel well to hit that home run? Unbelievable? I was in the moment. I never let it get too out of hand, and I saw I saw the vision. I saw it on the other side of the wall.
Speaker 1: That's right, exactly.
Speaker 2: Do you like that? Bela love it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: How many times have you watched the replay your home run?
Speaker 1: Probably a few? A few?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty good. It just showed up on your shows up or something. But uh, yeah, I need to watch the whole game. I want to do that. I want to watch the whole game, go back and just enjoy it, see every little moment.
Speaker 2: Obviously the homer, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Will Smith World series hero is our guest. It's weird how you and Miguel Rojas will forever be linked in baseball history because you both hit huge home runs, but you both were on both ends.
Speaker 2: Of a huge play at the plate.
Speaker 1: YEP him in field in throwing out Isaiah kind of filefa your foot almost coming off the play. Yeah, that was scared me.
Speaker 2: Have you watched that play?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Does it give you anxiety every time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still like waiting for the call to say, no, we got that wrong, go back. But yeah, I mean, honestly, in the moment, I didn't realize it came off the ground at all, like just did.
Speaker 1: But obviously got it back.
Speaker 3: Down and uh yeah the play Mickey may that was incredible and you know and build in kind of a tweeen or hop falling backwards making a good throw. It was was just an incredible play and obviously we needed it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when you guys look back at the World Series, especially Game six, in Game seven, there were so many moments where you could not have been.
Speaker 2: The winners of that World Series. Yeah, the PA has a key K.
Speaker 1: Collision, yep, justin Dean, the ball getting stuck in the wall. Has that sunk in that they were when they talk about baseball being a game of inches, it was a game of inches for you to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it absolutely was. I mean that's how you know good the Blue Jays were, how good we were? It was two really good teams going at it, and it was you who was going to catch that little edge and prevail.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go. I had Mike Soshan the show a couple of weeks ago. He's caught more games than any other Dodger in franchise history. He said, as a catcher on that plate, at the plate, you're taught to keep your foot in the middle of home plate? Is that what you were thinking as well? Yeah, what's the routine there? Yeah, I mean it's hard. It's hard because it's you know, flat on the ground. It's not like first base where you're standing on top of it. But yeah, I mean you're taught to be in the middle. You know, you're taught really to find the base first, right, Like find the base. I'm not you're watching Migge make the play, but you're finding home plate, you're not searching for it. And then you're trying to keep your foot down. You're expecting a bad throw. It was a good throw, but you don't know if it's either.
Speaker 3: Your left you're right high a short hop, so you're expecting a bad throw.
Speaker 2: And that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Hey Will Smith out of hibernation after his eleventh inning, game winning home run for the Dodgers, back to back World Series champion, three times World Series Champion.
Speaker 2: Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it. I'm happy you haven't forgotten the little people. And they want to take a photo live on the radio. Can we do that? Here we go, Will Smith smiling, smiling with me that never smile.
Speaker 1: Not a mile with you.
Speaker 2: No, that's right. Yeah, they want you to go somewhere else. Yeah, you're a big deal. Now hold him after about three minutes, come cool minut. All right, sounds good. Thank you, and I'll still be there for you whenever you need me to talk. I'll be there, all right, There he goes, Will Smith, my guy,