Speaker 1: And welcome back. You're listening to Let's Garden Scott Berlin. Entering our second hour. Here, I'm with John Butcher from Madison Tree Care and Landscape, great horticulturist and a top tree guy.
Speaker 2: Very nice of you.
Speaker 1: Thanks, You're welcome, and Steve Holts, director of Horticulture at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens. And in about an hour we will be joined by Charlie Frank from the cince Reds Foundation to talk about the collaboration between the Zoo and the since Red's Foundation and some of the really cool community makeover projects that they do and the big horticultural component that's become part of it and the importance of that. And I think I am looking forward to that conversation. Charlie is a great guy, and I think we'll have a lot of good information there for people and insight and inspiration all of it. So we're going to do one more lightning round of favorite plants right now, just because we can't not do it. Oh, I do want to say eight hundred eight two three eighty two fifty five give us a call. I'm here with two very good horticulturist who could answer darny or any question, and this is the hour to do it. This would be the time you can get through. We'll be talking about other things, but we'll interrupt to take your call at any point. Eight hundred eight three eighty two fifty five, John, what's your next plant?
Speaker 2: I really like winterthor viburnum, and some people would call winter and pronounce it differently, but it's winter thur viburn for all common English speaking people here.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to pass that th h and just leave it with a tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's a great plant. It's got really shiny foliage in the summer, and it's just one of the smaller viburnam that fits in this place.
Speaker 1: Is better.
Speaker 2: It's got a pretty flower, cool fruit, great fall color. Can can I'm gonna are you gonna pick on me for this one? Do you want to get back at me?
Speaker 1: Do you know about this? I'm one hundred percent on board with winter.
Speaker 2: The internet will say that it's got a smelly odor when the leaves drop in the fall, and I've never had a problem with it. It's never been something that I've noticed. And I've got a nose that smells lots of things, and that's not that's not.
Speaker 1: A young nose a fresh No. I was gonna say a big note. Yeah, I like that one a lot too. And you know the the fruit starts out pink and then turns to blue and then a very dark blue, and that combines the blue part of it, the end part of it with the fall color which is bright red and is a really nice, nice combination. Like you said, it fits in most landscapes pretty well. There's also brandywine, yep, the other common cultivar. They're great viburnum, newtam winterter or brandywine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, agreed, Steve. All right, I'm going to go perennial on you now, so we'll keep the theme with the reds community fun projects, the community makeovers. As we look back in the past ten years on all the gardens that we've done in the community with very little maintenance and really tough growing conditions, three plants stood out on Perennials, like every project we've done. One's Amsonia, who d Arkansas Amsonia my favorite. There's a new one out called string Theory that's really nice and tight and compact, and you know, it's still three by three, but compact for an Amsonia drought tolerant, full sun turns butterscotch yellow in the fall, little blue flowers in the late spring. But then the second Pynanthemum mudicum, the mountain mint, it's a beast. But for you know, places that are really tough to get things to grow. If you say I don't have a green thumb, but I want a garden, that would be a good one to try. And then Baptisia you can never go wrong. The triumvia ismth would say. And those three, boy, you know you can base your garden off of those three.
Speaker 1: You really can, uh three favorites of mine, hands down, I think, you know. And all three of them really weren't part of the menu even five years. Baptista has been longer. But Amsnia just came along in the last ten years, and a Pygnantheum maybe only just the last five. And now all of a sudden they're out there, people are using them. And I always warned people with the amsnia that, you know, be patient with it. For the first two years you're going to wonder why Scott or Steve recommended this plant. But then it takes off and it forms this beautiful shrublight perennial light foliage that blows around in the wind, never falls over, and then that to die for yellow fall color is just phenomenal. We're going to go to Pamela in Kentucky with a call Pamela, what can we do for you today?
Speaker 5: Yes, my daughter has a large patch of the Lily of the valley and she was told that it's harmful to kids and pets. Do you know how to get a house can get rid of that?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, it is. I think it's considered poisonous. So though kids and dogs generally have more sense than maybe we give them credit for. But uh, that is a tough one to get rid of it. It's it's got a corn or a bulb at the bottom, stores a lot of energy. And I think it's going to take repeated you know, spraying it with some kind of herbicide probably. I would recommend a life to say product and uh, waiting for it to return and then do it again. It may take several years. You can keep stringing, yeah, you can keep stringing it back too, and that will negate the issue with with the kids and the dogs. Steve or John do you have any comments there.
Speaker 4: You can find a friend who really likes that plant, yeah, wants to put it in their yard, and you can tell them they can dig it out all they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe they don't care about their kids or their dogs so much.
Speaker 2: A little survival of the fittest. Yeah, Well, I've needed in thousands of landscapes and I've never heard of one person falling ill to this thing. So I believe that it's poisonous. And you know, if they're in there eating it, or the dogs eating everything, or the kids, you know, certainly this isn't without some level of risk. But I think it's pretty low from my experience.
Speaker 5: Right, we're apartment. She has autistic and then he likes to play with playing, So yeah.
Speaker 1: You might want to err on the side of caution there for sure. Yeah. So did we answer your question. You're welcome, Lisa, Thank you. You're welcome, Lisa and Cincinnati. What can we do for you?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 3: We had we were involved in that tornado that went through in Pierce Township two weeks ago. Yeah, and the one hundred and fifty year old hackberry fell on part of our Foxwood hedge that is about eighteen years old. A beautiful hedge. It did not break the branches to pressed it down really far to the ground, you know, sent it so because it was the limb was sitting on that for a day or so. Is that a part? Is it possible to bring that back up as far as slowly?
Speaker 1: So the branches are bent but not broken, and they are staying down, and they haven't returned on their own at all.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're maybe coming up a little bit. Maybe we're trying. Yeah, we've been really watering it in.
Speaker 2: I would think that there's a chance to pull those back together. A little bit of garden twine that that decomposes on its own, and you can slowly start to kind of tie those back together. And you know, it's hard to say without seeing it how hard you can pull on it, or if you can get it back together all the way in one swoop, But if you can lift it up a little bit and tie some branches together, or maybe put a little steak in the middle of it, and then tie the branches back to the central steak and just kind of slowly start to pull them back. And if you use a garden twine that decomposes, you don't have to worry about if you forget and leave it on that it'll end up girdling the branches later. So I do think it's possible.
Speaker 4: Steve, you have anything to add on that now, I think be patient, fluff it up, tie it up, and uh. You know, the box will tell you whether it is gonna make it or not in about a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: And it's about the most resilient plant that you'll ever find, So thinking, good chance they'll come.
Speaker 2: Back, and a little bit of tip pruning out on the ends could lighten up the weight on its own, which will start to allow to come back without you doing anything at all. From a string or tie back perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so just and keep it water and give it uh.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be too aggressive about the water, and especially with all the rain we've been getting. Boxwoods don't need a lot of rain, and I don't think it's going to err or water and it's not going to really help and you could wind up, you know, rotting roots and things like that.
Speaker 2: I agree with Scott completely. I wouldn't give it any supplemental water, especially if it's been established. Box they're one of the few things that really don't have any drought susceptibility in Cincinnati. And also they do have a lot of water overwatering issues. As soon as you start to put too much water on a box wood, you'll see lots of problems. So I would air on the less water side.
Speaker 1: Does that help you out? Yes, very much, outstanding. Thanks for your call.
Speaker 4: Well, there's the start of the drought right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just started it and we just cursed ourselves.
Speaker 1: Boom. Yeah. When we come back, we will delve into some things you can do in the garden, probably things you should have done last week, and we will take your calls. Eight hundred eight two three eight two five five. We got up forty five minutes before Charlie Franket's here and we'll happily take calls throughout that entire time. So stay tuned. We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: Hey homeowners, ever wish you had a plumbing expert right in your pocket. It's Gary Salvin for Rotor Ruter Plumbing and Water clean Up. Let me introduce you to Rotor Routers Mobile app, your ultimate plumbing companion. You can access DIY videos, frequently ask questions and exclusive offers. You can also track your service systory and schedule appointments, all from one place. Don't wait. Download the Rotor Router Mobile app today from the App Store, Google Play or from Rotoraruter dot com. This summer clean smarter with Jaws the just Add Water system. Just fill the bottle with water, insert a refill pod, and you're ready to clean. Jaws concentrate refill pods instantly turned water into a powerful cleaner, premeasured for the perfect mix. Jaws streak free formulas, tackle glass kitchens, bathrooms, granite floors, and more, delivering great results without harsh fume. Did I mention it is my favorite glass cleaner. Jaws better at clean up, better for you. Visit Jaws cleans dot com. That's Jaws cleans dot com. A flooded basement can destroy your home in minutes, flooring, ruined walls, soap, thousands of dollars in damage and your Some pumps the only thing standing between you in a disaster. But when storms hit, power fails and pumps quit, you need a backup zalor backup. Some pumps run on a battery or even city water. With a Venturi system, every pump is tested and retested at the factory plumbers. Trust Zalor, a fourth generation company. They do things right. Don't gamble with your home. Protect it with Zalors, zalarpumps dot com, Save a life. Start with the air in your home. Hey Gary Salvin here. If your place smells, there's a reason, and it affects how you feel and breathe. Musty basements, pet accidents, even odors behind walls, they don't go away, and covering them up, well, that doesn't fix anything. Odor exit eliminates odors at the source, so they're gone, not mass no perfumes, no gimmicks, just a safe, natural way to fix the problem. Stop spring and praying. Fix it right. Tough first time, Order exit dot com, Order direct because one use should be enough.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. You're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berlin. I'm here with John Butcher. He's got good friend, good looking guy, really smart, good answers questions, well.
Speaker 2: Good looking for the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Steve Folks all the same things, plus my boss. That's right. Yeah, So yeah, in about a half hour now, I'm about forty five minutes ish. Well have Charlie Franklin. I am looking forward to that. Talk about the the Red's Foundation. It's just such a unique and wonderful of entity or institution or foundation or whatever, and the work they do is so good, and we're at the zoo very very proud to be a part of it. And there's a lot of cool stories, a lot of good information that we can share with you about all of that. So until then, we will take your calls if you call us eight hundred eighty two, three eighty two to fifty five with any questions that you want to sling at us eight hundred eighty two three eighty two fifty five. In the meantime, fellas, let's talk about things we should have done last week.
Speaker 2: John Sure, So middle September, I really think September through middle of October great time to plant grass seed and right now if you're going to do big areas and you've got lots of weeds in those areas where you're going to do a kill out of that grass or weed or whatever it is, ahead of time last week, this week great time to get your herbicide down so that it's got time to kill and let the herbicide go away. And then that middle of September time frame perfect time to do a little light till and get your ass seed in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've always wondered what what the length of time you need to have between the herbicide application and the sowing seed and what is you're saying about a month six weeks?
Speaker 2: I think a month is pretty safe, but it does depend on the herber side, and and.
Speaker 1: There's anything with a pre emergent in it.
Speaker 2: There's other factors, and you really don't want to use a pre emergent at all. For us, this is this is all post emergent. But but this is a great time to do that without uh, because because you want to kill out all those weeds before you put new good grass seed down, because that's probably the reason you're doing it, because you got a bunch of garbage in your lawn. And I'm not a huge fan of lawn treatments and doing all the spraying all the time, but but this kind of thing, when you have a really noxious weed, I feel like it is a good way to hit the reset button.
Speaker 1: And I it's not the right time for it, of course, but you know, lesser celandine has become such a problem, uh, invading lawns and just covering them in what April till May maybe yep, and uh, you know, an orbicide treatment like a two four D product does a pretty good job on that, especially if you kind of follow up with the same thing a couple of years later, next year, and the year following.
Speaker 2: Every treatment I've ever done on that plant looks great by June, no matter how well I applied it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because it goes stormage on.
Speaker 2: Oh sucks, But you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't have success by treating it for sure.
Speaker 2: And not giving up on that all the way I think is critical because you're not gonna you're probably not going to win the battle all the way. But that doesn't mean you just throw in your cards and fold. You want to. You want to, you want to fight that battle, because that's one of the most I don't know how it spreads. It's like a out of this world. The way that it can reproliferate.
Speaker 1: The thing I keep hearing, and I don't know if it's true or not, is that the little bulb bulbs or bulblets get caught in deer hoofs and gets spread around that way and maybe with other animals and probably by seed as well. So whatever way it's getting around it is getting around. There are areas along the Little Miami River that are dozens and dozens of acres of solids lesser celandine, and if you see a yard infested with it, it becomes.
Speaker 2: Covered in sunny for about a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's beautiful. Yeah, it's shiny foliage, beautiful, little yellow flower. And if you didn't know what you were looking at, you'd say, I want that plant, I want it in my garden. But you don't.
Speaker 2: Is there some horticulturalists like Steve, like some great horticulturists that introduced that to us long ago as the best plant that we can make fun of. Now do we know the answer to that?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Now it just happened to get here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, horticulture gets blamed for everything.
Speaker 1: I do know. That was never a common garden center plant. You know, there was one cultivar, remember, from twenty years ago, called Braisen Hussy. It was like a dark foliage kind and no one could barely even get that one to grow. But I don't remember ever seeing, you know, on the shelf. So I think horticulture is innocent on this one.
Speaker 2: And it's relatively new, like that wasn't around when I was right younger.
Speaker 1: Came suddenly, just very quickly. See, you have.
Speaker 4: Inspired me, John, to maybe redo my front lawn. I think I'm gonna do it this year. He is so right. I was thinking about that as I was, you know, cleaning up my oak tree and burning on it. I'm like, I thought I had grass here, but it's not grass. It's just green stuff. And you know, one thing I've noticed, if you know, I'm not big into herbicide applications on the lawn. I don't have lawn care. Some of the you know, areas around the zoo where we do have weeds, you have to mow a lot more because of the weeds rather than a good solid turf, And so reduction in your maintenance sometimes is you know, good for just to tame that weed pressure down.
Speaker 2: And some weeds are a lot nicer than others, like, for sure, clover, you know, that's the one that everybody seems to tolerate and appreciate and helps the bees out.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 4: Wild violets, and I think those are pretty Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I've treated my lawn twice in the whole thirty plus years at my house, but every now and then it just gets so wild and you just kind of have to go all right, this year is the year, you know, and then the garden looks or the yard looks great for a few years and then you come back around. We'll continue this discussion on things we should have done last week when we get back here after the break. You are listening to That's Guarden with Scott Berlin. The podcasts are available wherever. Podcasts are available live stream on the iHeart app. Stay tuned. We'll be right back and we will take your questions.
Speaker 7: Well, I've been recommending Blackjack driveway seilers for years, and here's some great news. The Blackjack ten year Sealer drive Max one thousand features accelerated drying time in curing in cool temperatures. Drive Max one thousand adds curb appealed, delivering a light, new black finish and as your a thane enhanced for the longest life. Drive Max one thousand available at Low's Home Depot, True Value Ace in your local hardware store. Visit Blackjack codings dot com for more information. Blackjack protecting driveways for over one hundred years. Well ants are known for being hardworking and industrious, which is bad news for you when I end up in your house. Hey, Gary Salvin here, When you need to get rid of ants fast, you need rescue ant baits. Rescue ant baits are prebated, child resistant and ready to use right out of the box. No sticky liquids, no mess. Rescue ant baits are made in USA by the makers of the popular rescue flying Yellowjacket traps. Learn more at rescue dot com.
Speaker 8: That's ri e s cue dot com.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. Uh. This is uh Let's garden with Scott Berlin here with John from Madison Try Care and Landscape and Steve Folds from the Cincinnati Botanical Gardener Zoo. And we have Charlie Frank coming in about a half hour with I'm sure will be a really fascinating discussion. And I've been miss misnaming the organized organization all morning. It's uh he's actually executive director of the Reds Community Fund. So make that correction and try not to make it again. I'll do that.
Speaker 2: We forgive you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a lot to people don't know how hard this job is. There's a lot going on, you know, and I'm not that smart.
Speaker 2: And the people here can't see that. Steve's sitting behind you, breathing down your neck while.
Speaker 1: You're doing looming over.
Speaker 2: Yet I don't think they know that it's always been so hard.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: We we have roughly a half hour to take your call, answer your questions eight hundred and eighty two three eighty two fifty five. In the meantime, we will continue talking about some things we should have done. Last week, John, you got another one.
Speaker 2: I think that, Uh, there's a great time to say working on your drainage problems. Actually, yeah, and this would be one last week two weeks ago, that Friday beginning of July. I forget what it was, but that was the craziest rainfall I've seen, five or six inches over in the High Park, Ugly areas, ugly, unbelievable, how fast that stuff came down and really started. And I know gardening and drainage aren't, but it does affect the landscape and if you get the grading right in the drainage right. And I think those are good things to work on in the summer months in the garden.
Speaker 1: Exactly, it's a good time to bring in dry soil if you need to build a slope up around your your foundation, yep, which is so critical if you've got soil sloping back towards your foundation. If you're not leaking already, you're bound for a leak. That water pressure builds up and it just it wants nothing more than to get in your house.
Speaker 2: And from a horticulture perspective, if you have plants that are sensitive to wet feet, when you plant some of those in slightly wet areas or areas susceptible to rain, you can plant those a little higher with the root flare above soil grade a little bit. And then what you do is you take soil and you make a nice, even smooth grade away from that and you create kind of like the foundation of your house where you're just making sure the water is not sitting right on the root ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that crown has an opportunity to dry out right between rainfalls and so forth. Right.
Speaker 2: So, just little things like that that I think are good summer touches for the garden.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. I'm glad you made that, Steve Well.
Speaker 4: I tell you I love planting and fall, and you know now's the time to go through your yard, look at your gaps. And you know I did this last week. I walked around. Yeah there's a section that you know, the perennials died out, or yeah, I have a failure. And then most people think, well, I'll get to that in the spring. Well, we're all super busy in the spring, and we never seem to get to it. But now, you know, we're headed into cooler temperatures. Now it's a great time that it's dry. Sometimes in April and May, it's so wet in your yard it's hard to landscape. So now would be a good time to survey your yard, get a plan together, and get some perennials. You know, late late August, early September, great time to be planting in the garden.
Speaker 1: I like pushing it back a little bit later because you know, there's something that happens. You know, you go from October with the dry air, blue skies, full sun every day, and then all of a sudden, sometime in November early November, the switch gets turned and it's going to be grace skies for the next five months and a lot of rain. And I just you know, if you can water, you can water. Yeah, October for sure, even September, but I like November because it's just amost a fail safe that we're going to have the rainfall and you don't need to get out there all the time. Now, some things you don't want to go that late. With evergreen you shouldn't really be planning evergreens or broad leaf evergreens.
Speaker 4: And when you get into like southern magnolias, you don't want to be planting them late. Phdodendrons, you know, things like that. But you know when you get to evergreens like spruce or pine, absolutely, now it's a great you know, then be a great time. I mean here we're talking about you know, if you can water, you can plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 2: And I've had some issues where if I've dug late in the season, like a through your plocata, the western arbor vity I've had in a really cold winter, I've had those struggle. But planning them late if they've already been dug, I've not had had nearly as many issues with. But I do think you have to be careful moving around some of those plants when you get into really cold temperatures. Yeah, and some plants take it really well. My one comment on the perennials getting in a little earlier is with the smaller containers and pots. If you can get those established and just get a little bit of root before the winter, it's it stops some of the heaving that will happen in the winter. So I think if you can water, there is an advantage to strike excuse me striking just a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if you do good soil prep there it's a nice fluffy, loose soil, those roots get established so much faster and better than if it's you're just chiseling in the clay. You know that those will tend to pop out pretty pretty readily in some kind of frost.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't be a chiseler. Don't be a chisler. Be a tiller and a mender and a good steward of the soil. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Mult is part of that mulch organ it matter.
Speaker 1: We have Christina on the line. She has a question. I'm not sure we're going to be able to answer, but Christina, can you go ahead and state your question for us?
Speaker 9: I wonder what the shelf like on honey would be the shelf life because I came across a jar that's about twenty years old. I know you have beach keepers that come on your program, and I just wondered if I could get an answer about that.
Speaker 2: I am not an expert in bees or honey, although I do have hives and we're collecting now. But I've heard that honey never goes bad, is what I've heard. And that's something that I think you could probably look up on Google really easily. But I believe that to be true, that it's good for as long as longer than us. Probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's oh, you know, I would test it out. Maybe someone you don't like so much first.
Speaker 9: Well, yes, that would be the thing to do. And the woman that called in about Lily of the Valley, one of our cats, one I've always liked to compleet Lily Valley and she did get sick from the flowers and everything. So yes, I do believe that it is poisonous to animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so Sarah Gaiger Beam, who frequently co hosts with me, is listening, and she she just texted that repeated string trimming on Convaleria or Lily of the Valley works pretty well. I would just say, if if you can just be on the safe side, if you're string trimming, it it's poisonous. Wear a mask and eye protection, eye protection too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, well, thank you for your help today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if I she might text with an answer to your honey question too. So if you're not quite trusting John on this one.
Speaker 2: Don't trust me, honestly, do not do not trust me.
Speaker 1: I stay tuned because I might have an answer for you here coming up.
Speaker 9: All right, then, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Uh. For things that we should have done last week that I have on my sheet, here is one is place your bull order. You know it's you talk about fall planting. You're gonna want to plant some bulbs and uh, you know, if you wait too long, stuff gets sold out and you're out of luck for another year until you forget it the following year, and then you forget it the year after that. So yeah, jump on your bulb order. I am shifting in my bulb sort of preference. Uh. You know the bit I always like daffodils way more than toilips. Just don't do that great. It is a repeat uh plant Uh, And but the daffodils always come back and their deer proof and all those things. But I'm getting a little worn down by the big flowers, the ones with big flowers, because they their death is so so ugly, you know, when they start and you want to try to keep the foliage for as long as you can, and you know they start to decompose and drip and hang over your other plants when they're all starting to emerge. And so I'm heading in the way of the really small daffodils, crocuses, kyananthus, things like that that fit really well in the garden and don't make such a heartbreaking, ugly display, just as the rest of your garden's really coming into its own. I did get an answer from Sarah. She said they found it, and the pyramid's good in the comb, so that that's as about as indefinite as you can get. But it's unlike leah jar is airtight. Might have to scrape off the top layer of honey. Great idea, you know, scoop up the top quarter inch half inch, and it's still tested out on somebody you don't really.
Speaker 2: Like that's right. Have you ever experienced honey like from a tree that's fallen over and then the comb's left in there and like right out of the and a wild hot It's amazing and you put the whole like the the whole comb in your mouth and it's like a little waxy. I've never experienced any flavor profile like that in my entire life. Is amazing. Yeah, if you ever get the chance to do that, snack on a little bit of it.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do that like in the Smokies or somewhere where bears are prevalent. You don't want to between it, be between a bear and the honey. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that good that I would fight a.
Speaker 1: Bear for it. No, I agree, No, you can buy it at the store too. Not as good as off the comb in the woods. It's not as good, Yeah, not as good. Who else has something to say for a job in the this time of year?
Speaker 4: You know, I mentioned this earlier this week. It's sometimes your containers on your patio, you know some of them fail. You still have two two and a half months left, so go out and get yourself some good, hardy annuals.
Speaker 1: And garden centers carry them all summer long anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's some beautiful like Mandevilla and Diplodonia that they're that are rock solid this time of year. And uh, you know, like I said, you put them in. You still have good two and a half months to enjoy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, stepping stone paths, little hardscape projects goes along with the drainage. But things that aren't necessarily horticulture, but but accent to horticulture and the function of the landscape I think are great, great things to work on this time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we'll go ahead and take a break and when we come back, it looks like we have Mary from Newport on the line. We'll take your call. Mary, you're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berline. Back in a few minutes. You've got a.
Speaker 6: Tribate new spread rock wallgrantite coating from dish Coating. Bring a beauty real speckled grantite to walls inside and outside your home. Create stunning accent walls in your family room, hallway, refresh your bathroom, or upgrade exterior columns, foundation walls, even sheds. Spread rock walal granite coating is durable, easy to apply, and available in nine beautiful colors. Best of all, just sixty eight dollars a gallon at dish codings dot com shipping free. Transform your walls today with spread rock wall granite coating. Hey, if your rate to strip paint a smarter way, reach for Dumont's Smart Strip Advanced paint remover. It's available in an non aerosol spray powered by advanced bag on valve technology. This powerful water based formula cuts from multiple layers of latex acrylic oil based paints, varnishes and stains one application. Best of all, it's non flammable and free from harsh chemicals. It's ideal for indoor outdoor projects. Smartstrip Advance non aerosol Spray is available at participating Sherwin Williams and do it Best retailers, Ordoumontglobal dot com.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. I'm here with John, but you're from Madison Tree Care and Landscape. It always looks weird in your email because it's like empty candle or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know, that's the older email than there's a new one that's Madison Tree sin cy C I n S. Yeah, we switched about ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're still answering my emails at the old one.
Speaker 2: You don't You don't ever want to shut the old.
Speaker 1: One, No, you don't, right, Yeah, And with Steve Folts, my boss, director of Forta Culture at the Cincinning Zoo and Potanical Garden, just got word that Charlie Frank is in the building. We'll have him up here in about ten minutes and that will be fun. In the meantime, we have Mary pat Uh from Newport on the phone. Mary pat Well, what can we do for you today?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 10: Boy, I have I have a large vegetable garden. I'm getting old and I can't take care of it anymore. But it's like, I have this invasive mulberry weed.
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's an annual weed. Yeah. It it goes to seeds so insidiously you won't even notice it's flowered and it's gone to seed and the little axles of the leaves, and if you're not on top of that all the time, it will seed again on you. I assume your question I jumped in on you. I guess your question is how to take care of that?
Speaker 10: Well, well it is and it's just horrible. And one on my questions is have you ever used one of those porches to torch your weeds with? I don't know if this work.
Speaker 1: Well, I've guys go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the weed torches do work, but often I don't know about this mulberry weed in particular, but if they have a strong root system or network below the ground, the torches really aren't good for getting root killed. They're good for taking the foliage off and plants that are really newly rooted and don't have a big root system or just aren't real big root.
Speaker 1: This is for annual weeds, so I'm a little more optimistic that the torch would work on it.
Speaker 2: And you also have to be really careful not to catch the mulch on fire because it can actually smaller loathing. And yeah, I really commercially reserve that for creekstone and pavers and things where there's just nothing organic because the risk of catching something.
Speaker 1: On fire is real.
Speaker 2: But if you do it after a big rain and you've got water ready to go, I think it'd be worth a try. And I'm not discouraging you, but there is a big caution that those torches can be really dangerous.
Speaker 10: I'm ready to burn it all down on telling you it's so awful, but I was gonna wait until after what little vegetables I have are done, and maybe the spawl to it. But yeah, the seeds are horrible. I mean they just go everywhere.
Speaker 1: You could use a pre emergent on it, since it is an annual weed. The only problem is it's in your vegetable garden and you likely will be planting seeds out there, and so that wouldn't work. But maybe you could pick up part of your garden each year and hit it with some early pre emergent, Like I would say, it's a warm season weed, so I would say March or April, maybe even a little later, and uh yeah, just pick a section, knock it back, try to string, trend or pull what you've got as much as you can elsewhere and keep the rotation going.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'll give it a shot. I hope I live long enough to see good result.
Speaker 1: I hope you do too.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Thank you for the call. You know, I've got an embarrassing story about that weed is I introduced it to my garden by accident. So every year I get Rock Garden Society seeds in and grow them and I don't know what what seed I was thinking. I was growing what was labeled as but it was mulberry weed. And I didn't recognize it for being that weed either in the seed trays. And and I nurtured. I nurtured that mulberry weed along and along and planted it out lovingly and watered, you know, studiously, and uh introduce so terrible weed in my garden. I am getting on top of it. Though. Perseverance does pay off on it.
Speaker 4: I agree one hundred percent with that.
Speaker 2: Your yards so cool. You got so many interesting things and layers and diversity in your yard. It's one of the coolest yards.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love it.
Speaker 1: And if you ever want to come see my mulberry weed, I'll show it to you.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll share it with you too.
Speaker 2: You take some home.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do that to you. I always want to emphasize weeding, you know, things we should have done last week. Always weed. Get out in your garden every week. Weed and observe, you know, look for things that aren't quite right, you know, plants that are struggling a little bit, things that you never saw before. You know, just keep an eye on things. And when you see something that's odd, you know, do a little research about it. See if you have to do anything or not. You probably won't, But.
Speaker 2: Can I throw out an organic solution that I think the last caller might try on our garden. It's the vinegar mix. So so at one gallon of regular distilled vinegar five percent and then you're gonna do two cups EPs and salt, quarter cup of traditional blue dawn mix, all that up into a spray bottle and if it's hot out and sunny, it will it will burn everything back to the ground very very effectively. And once again, I don't know if it's going to kill the roots, but maybe because it's an annual and I think you may in a vegetable garden have to worry about build up of the salts and stuff if you're doing that over time. But I think if we're just trying to section that, that could be a really good solution for not getting the chemicals in our garden for later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good points. You know, just be careful with vinegar. It's very acidic and if you get it in your eyes, you could be in big trouble. And be careful where you spray. If you get on insects, they could be burned as well.
Speaker 2: There's nothing safe to spray.
Speaker 1: Nothing nothing, nothing.
Speaker 4: That's why you need to keep planting and keep that garden full.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we will have Charlie Frank with us from the Reds Community Fund. Brenda, I think we're gonna have to hold on your call until maybe eight forty five if you want to stick around that long. We'll be back in just a few minutes.