Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: This is the bullpen that Kenley Jansen made famous. Three hundred and fifty saves coming out of this bullpen for the Dodgers, still a franchise record. But in twenty twenty six, this is going to be the bullpen. Edwin Diaz comes out for timmy trumpet playing and serenading him and a man that is going to be standing on the infield just in just looking up maybe second base, maybe third base, maybe center field. I call him the glue of the Dodgers, and he is leading us off rightfully. So a proud new papa of a second child, the one and only Tommy Edmund. Tommy, great to see you, and you're no more scooter. You're actually standing on your own two feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. Feels good, feels good to use this foot again.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 1: Excited to be back and chatting with you again. To the back to the season days.
Speaker 2: Man. When I was in Los Angeles, I brought my son to see Tommy Edmund. He was in awe of Tommy Edmund. But you were on a scooter and I was really nervous, but you assured me that you'd be ready to go for spring training. Do you feel like you're still that confident?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Look at me, no more scooter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably just staring at me with the scooter back then, but no, but yeah, no, I'm feeling good, feeling good. I just started baseball activities again, so, you know, feeling like I'm in a good spot going into spring.
Speaker 2: What is baseball activities? Taking ground balls, shagging fly balls? I mean for me, you know, I just want to go into the cage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it means I get to pick up a bat in the ball.
Speaker 1: So I just very very lightly started swaying and started throwing again this past week and then that'll just be ramping up as we get closer to spring. And you know, but I'm just really looking forward to being a baseball player again.
Speaker 2: That's gotta feel good, right, Tommy. Going back to taking care of this ankle. I know you've been playing, you know, through a lot of pain. Hopefully that pain's over with. That's got to feel good to know that, you know, there's only brighter pastures ahead of you and that ankle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the idea, is that knocking it out with the surgery that I won't have to think about this ankle as much anymore, and you know, just getting back to one hundred percent and doing all the things that I normally would be able to do on a baseball field.
Speaker 2: So I saw you before your wife gave birth to your second child. Congratulations, Thank you, appreciate it. What's the off season been like for you, dealing with the ankle surgery and her almost ready to give birth while you're going and basically not able to really move around too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fortunately the timing worked out well. I think if I was still on a scooter and and had to help her take care of the baby, it would have.
Speaker 3: Been a lot more difficult.
Speaker 1: But fortunately I'm a little bit more mobile now able to help out. But yeah, the baby's only baby, Ava is only a week old right now, so you know, still getting adjusted to the schedule and the rhythms of having a newborn. But it's been so much fun. It's been fun to have her and see my wife be a super mom. She's so tough, such a champ. And then having Eli be a big brother as well has been really cool and just a blessing to see our family continue to grow.
Speaker 2: Nothing like having a baby girl. Right, as a dad, we always talk about having a son. Eli obviously is in the world, But what's it like to have a baby girl in your arms?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to be a pushover for sure. Yeah, I can already tell whatever she wants. I'm if she goes to mom and asks for suddenly and she says no, I know she's going to come right to me and I'll probably say yes. But but yeah, it's so much fun. I just can't wait to see her continue to grow up. And you know, hopefully we can just be good parents.
Speaker 2: For no doubt, She's got a great mom and dad, and that's the foundation. My guy Tommy Edmond is joining us. He's leading off Dodger Fest for us. We're here until one o'clock right here on a five seventy LA Sports. All Right, I haven't seen you since the Dodgers signed Edwin Diaz and Kyle Tucker. What message are the Dodgers sending to the rest of you as far as going for this three pete?
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly we're not satisfied.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going for as many World Series Championships as we can, and you know we're we're really uh, attacked this offseason hard, you know, after winning two in a row. I feel like a lot of people kind of thought, you know, maybe they'll be a little bit complacent this offseason, but you know, signed to two of the best free agents out there, so we're amped. We're really excited, really excited to meet those guys and and see how they become part of the clubhouse. You know, how they mess with the culture of the team. For everything I've heard, they're both awesome guys who are gonna fit in really well. So, you know, really looking forward to meeting the Mount in Arizona. Maybe before then, but yeah, it's gonna be great to have those two guys, and such talented players too, So it's gonna be a lot of fun to have those guys.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts does such a great job of keeping you fresh and understanding the big picture as you're coming back from this right ankle surgery. Where do you start? Do you start at second base? Do you start to long uh long toss to get your arm ready for centerfield? What's the process for you as you get ready for this season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to be honest, it kind of just feels like at this point it's more of like a traditional off season, like almost like that that phase of baseball is starting up now just a little bit later than it normally would. So you know, I'm just getting back into my swings like I would in a normal off season, you know, starting with tea and then flips, and then same with the throwing progression as well, and then just continuing to stay on top of my ankle and and building back up to the U to getting back to full sprints and acceleration and everything like that. So that's kind of what I'll be working on as we get out to Arizona and start the workouts. You know, I probably won't be hopping in with like the live abs with everybody right away, but you know, I'll just be building back up to that.
Speaker 2: All right, Tommy, before I let you go, Since you've had a lot of time at home rehabbing that right ankle, watching go over your pregnant wife, have you watched any full games maybe a full Game seven of the World Series, or have you watched key plays in the ninth inning maybe earlier? You know, Pa has running into key k Have you been able to look back at those? Do you even want to? I don't understand how a guy that was so involved, how do you handle all that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is very weird to I think the first time I watched it again, it was crazy to relive all of those plays, and because when you're in the moment, you're not really thinking too much about, you know, the scope of each individual play. But you go back and watch it and you see the crowd's reaction, you see the reaction of everybody on the field, and you think, wow, I was in that, I was part of that moment, and you realize how big of a moment it was. So watching it watching that first time was pretty crazy, and then we've watched it numerous times after because that's one of Eli's favorite things to do is to watch baseball games, and unfortunately in the off season there's no baseball to be played, so we go back and rewatch those games. So I think he's probably rewatched Game seven, maybe you know, ten or eleven times.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's fun, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's really cool to have my son already be in baseball at two years old, so he's looking forward to season as well.
Speaker 2: So you were in Monterey Park meeting and greeting fans. That was an experience. I'm sure. Maybe I'll ask it this way. You're probably one of the few Dodgers that got to touch hands with the fans after winning back to back championships. Did that make you realize how much it meant to so many people and their families. Yeah, you realize how much it means to a lot of people here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's what makes those events so cool is you actually get to interact with the people that you see every day. You know, you see him in the stands and you know they're there and you know they have the support, but you never really get to have those direct interactions. So you know, having those moments where you get to meet the fans in person and really get a grasp of you know, how much winning that championship meant to them. So you know, it's really cool to have that, and that's what makes events like this fan fest really cool as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, the only thing Tommy Edmond has done since he was acquired by the Dodgers is went back to back World Series championships. Start to your Dodger career, look forward to a three peet run here and just being around you guys. Because I respect the process and the grind that you guys put in, it just doesn't happen. So congratulations on a back to back World Series championships. Congratulations on baby Ava, and look forward to seeing you out there in Arizona. If you need me to assist in the rehab.
Speaker 3: Let me know. We might need some babysitting help as well, so I'll make sure to hit you up.
Speaker 2: All right, great, I'll find somebody for you. All right, there's my guy, Tommy Edman. Thank you, Tommy. I'll take the microphone away. You know you don't you don't let me hold your baseball bats. You know I don't let a lot of people hold the microphone.
Speaker 3: That's true. Hopefully I didn't didn't mess it up anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I trust you.
Speaker 3: All R right? Cool, Great to see you.
Speaker 2: There, He goes, Oh hey, they want us to take a picture. We're gonna do this live on the radio, a photo with my guy Tommy Edmund. All right, there we go one more, one more. People want to see this beautiful face. A skinny, fat guy with a really small surfer dude from La Joya.
Speaker 1: That's the retirement days. I'll be working on my surfing then, but for now I can't.
Speaker 2: Surf smart move, don't do the worm either.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get eaten by a shark me either.
Speaker 2: I never go into the ocean because of that.
Speaker 3: Really scared of sharks, yes, you know.
Speaker 1: Actually most sharks are not aggressive, like, they don't really attack humans that.
Speaker 2: Often, all right, but they want to nibble and taste you a little bit.
Speaker 3: Sorry if you lose a tower or two, but an arm.
Speaker 2: I'm skinny, fat, there's a lot of flesh to chew on.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you're in great shape, Dave.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tommy Edmund Man guy pumps me up right there.