Speaker 1: The quest for the three-peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We're getting ready to run it back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show, call 866-987-2570. And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasang.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse, live at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit after the Dodgers beat the Tigers 2-1 and Tarek Skubal's return to Detroit after being traded to the Dodgers at the deadline. We have phone lines open at 866-987-2570. We will hear from Skubal in a moment. Also, we'll get into the September roster expansion and And we'll get into some of the things that a guy that should basically not be saying much of anything these days. And that's Carlos Beltran. Also, where are all the Twitter trolls that I saw online after Dino Ebel sent Kyle Tucker tonight in the sixth inning and Tucker got thrown out? Everybody was trolling me saying, oh, why isn't Dino up here now to answer those questions? That's because... We don't need Dino up here to answer that question. I can answer it for you directly. So let's just put that aside. I don't see anybody with the guts calling in right now to ask me that question. But they could type on their phone. They could type on their computer and tweet and not have the testicular fortitude to actually ask that question directly. on a radio talk show after the game. So here it is eighth, sixth inning, one out Dodgers are down one to nothing. They have done virtually nothing offensively in the last four or five games. They had only scored one run in their last 20 and left 26 men on base at that point in time. And you had Kike Hernandez at the plate against the lefty reliever. You had Teoscar Hernandez on deck with Kyle Tucker at second base. So for all of you that have been detractors towards Teoscar Hernandez, did you really have faith Teoscar Hernandez was going to drive in or get the fly ball to score Kyle Tucker from third base if Dino holds him? I would say the chances at best are 50-50 these days. So that's number one. If you go back and listen to our show with Dino, he explains how he's thinking about not only the outfield arms, the scanner report on those outfield arms, but he's also thinking about who's on deck and the situation. And I'm sure he was looking at Teoscar Hernandez. He did not tell me that. I have not had a chance to talk to him, but... If everything that I've heard Dino talk about his thought process to Oscar Hernandez is on deck, there's not a great chance he's driving in the tying run. I would hope he would at some point. And tonight was a good start. He had a couple of hits and. He scored the go-ahead run in the eighth inning. But let's start right there. And then let's talk about Kyle Tucker. He was running hard from second to third. And then for whatever reason, after Dino Ebel gave him the green light to score, he looks at the right fielder. He looks at Ben Malgieri and he slows down. If he keeps running hard, if he keeps his head down and keeps running hard, he scores. He scores the tying run. So that's not on Dino evil. And by the way, Ben Malgieri tonight was his 37th game in the outfield in his major league career. All of it this season after being called up, that was the first runner he has thrown out this season. And that was a perfect throw. Is he going to do, is he going to make that throw nine out of 10 times?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was the first time he had done it in his young major league career. So let's just get that out of the way. All right. That was the right move. I had no issues with Dino Ebel sending Kyle Tucker. Kyle Tucker has got to run harder and not peak at the right fielder. He's got to keep going. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. I thought it was a very good performance also by the Dodger relievers, Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott in particular. Alex Vessia got away with a fastball right down Motown. Kevin McGonigal or yeah, it was Kevin McGonigal that sent that fly ball to deep center field 402 feet. Yeah, he was very lucky to get away with that in the eighth inning, but he did and the Dodgers come out on top two to one and Tanner Scott. with his 20th save of the season. Tarek Skubal tonight went six innings, allowed one earned run. It was an RBI triple to Max Clark, who was able to shoot it down the left field line to score that run on a 98 fastball. Skubal tonight, seven strikeouts, no walks. And I thought it was interesting. The Tigers television broadcast brought this up. They obviously know Skubal better than we do as far as pitch-to-pitch. And they pointed out that school bowl is throwing more first pitch changeups with the Dodgers than what he was with the, with the tigers, with the tigers. He only threw 12% first pitch changeups with the Dodgers. It's doubled. He's thrown 24%, almost 25% first pitch changeups. And he did that every time, first time through the lineup. So, There's some difference in game planning with Scooble from the Tigers to the Dodgers. I'm interested to ask him about that. Maybe somebody did. He was at his locker moments ago on Sportsnet LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think I did a good job of keeping baseball baseball, you know, and trying to compete and give our team a chance to win. I mean, I think you kind of saw the emotions early, but But, yeah, I mean, I feel like I did a good job of keeping the game in baseball, but obviously this place is special to me.
Speaker 3: Did you have any interactions with some of your former teammates today, or will that all be saved for tomorrow?
Speaker 4: I went and saw a lot of them actually just now on the field. But, you know, just like the early kind of nods of respect stuff. And, you know, I threw a baseball at Fett before the game started, so he fielded it cleanly, so it was good to watch him do that. How close did you get to choking up during the montage when you turned your head a few times? Yeah, I mean, I think I did cry if you go watch the video. You know, there were definitely tears. And, you know, luckily enough, I was able to kind of make it to the tunnel before more happened, right? But, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 4: You know, this is a place I've known my entire career since 2018. So, but, yeah, it was special for sure.
Speaker 2: What did you think of the crowd reaction to you?
Speaker 4: You know, with the last name Scoob, you don't know if they're booze or they're cheering for you. So I'm going to assume they were cheering for me. And that's, yeah, that's all I really got to say about it.
Speaker 5: Tim, if you had tips, some nods to some of your former teammates before a few of the at-bats to compete against guys that you've been working with for so long. Can you walk us through the experience of a few of those at-bats, especially early since some of these guys stepped up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's fun, right? Competing against really good baseball players, right? It's fun to just go out and compete. And then obviously you know them personally. But the game of baseball is always the game of baseball. I think I do a pretty good job of just going out there and competing and having a plan and then just going out and trying to execute that plan as best I can. It was fun, though. It's weird seeing Dingler in the box for sure. That's a weird at-bat, obviously, with all the innings. But yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: It was fun. Was it tough coming out after just 83 pitches? Did you want to go back out there for the 7th?
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course. You know, of course, I do want to go back out there. Some of those, I mean, those decisions are my decisions. Doc kind of came to me and said, you know, we got a long road. He said he's kind of pushed me recently. And, you know, you know. I don't know if play it safe is the right word because obviously I feel good to go. But, you know, we got a little bit more before we start pushing again. So that's kind of the conversation that I had. But, you know, I felt good to go. I felt like I was still in control of the baseball game at that time.
Speaker 6: There's like a pit in his stomach when he's going up against a former player.
Speaker 2: He looks at the calendar and it's not really something that he wants to do.
Speaker 6: When you know that this is coming up is this something where you're like just just put me down i want.
Speaker 2: To pitch in detroit or like you know what are those days leading up to.
Speaker 4: It like yeah i tried to just keep it day by day you know leading up to it obviously ever keep everything normal right you know don't make the game anything different than it is don't make the environment um any different you know try to just keep baseball the way i know how to play the way i know how to go out there and compete um but obviously it was different you know just coming here and Staying at a hotel is weird, right? But, yeah, I mean, it was good. It was good all around. These games are special. Obviously, we're in a different uniform still, but I have a lot of good memories on that field.
Speaker 6: Were you expecting to be so emotional when that video montage started?
Speaker 4: You know, I said I wasn't going to be, but I've come to figure out I don't really know myself that well. So, yeah, you know, it didn't catch me by surprise. The timing did. They told me 27, and it ended up being 37, so it was really close to first pitch, or like 35, 4, whatever it was. They told me 27, so I kind of figured it would be around anthem time. So the timing kind of threw me for a loop a little bit, but I think the emotions would have been the same, you know, regardless of the time. But, you know, I didn't, I don't know what to expect, man. I don't try to predict much. You know, I try to be pretty present with how I live my life.
Speaker 2: All right, Tarek Skubal after the game on Sportsnet LA and when that montage was played was after Skubal warmed up in the bullpen before first pitch and was walking back to the Dodger dugout. He had a white towel around his neck and you saw him give the chest bump towards the Tigers dugout after that montage, but he kept it together. And I go back to what Blake Snell told me yesterday. I said, hey, what do you think? The emotions? How is he going to handle all that? He said, I'm sure he'll have a lot of emotions before he goes out for first pitch in the dugout, but he'll be able to handle it. And he did. He didn't walk any batters tonight. He had seven strikeouts. in six innings for the Dodgers as the Dodgers beat the Tigers 2-1. And Tarek mentioned A.J. Hinch. I just want to say thank you on behalf of the Dodgers to A.J. Hinch for not intentionally walking. Freddie Freeman in the eighth inning with Teoscar Hernandez at third base. Two outs, tied game, and Mookie Betts on deck. Freddie facing a very hittable right-handed reliever, And Freddie delivered a base hit up the middle, and the Dodgers beat the Tigers 2-1. And we all know A.J. Hinch owes the Dodgers a lot more than that. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Let's go out to Eddie in Pacoima. You're on Dodger Talk live from Comerica Park.
Speaker 5: Hi, Eddie.
Speaker 1: Hey, TV.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to say that all those Twitter trolls that were being on.
Speaker 8: You, 99.9% of those people.
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 3: Where are you, Eddie?
Speaker 7: Eddie, where are you? Are you like in the laundromat?
Speaker 1: Are you in the bathroom?
Speaker 7: Where are you?
Speaker 6: I'm right here.
Speaker 2: I can't hear you, Eddie. Eddie, you don't get one more thing when it sounds like you're in the washing machine.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Let's go out to Woodland Hills. Mike, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Mike?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. And I couldn't agree with you more. Dean Abel did the right thing by sending Tucker home. I mean, tail has not taken great at-bats. And certainly I think that was a reasonable factor to rely on on sending him home. I don't know if Tucker's glance back at right fielder made a big difference. He did make a good slide.
Speaker 2: It made a huge difference. He was coasting. He was coasting like he was going to stand up scoring, and he wasn't.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I that's not what I saw, but in any event, I still think I was here. I call him.
Speaker 2: I was here, Mike. Mike, I was in the stadium watching him.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay. I was watching from the TV. So maybe you saw something I didn't in any event. I think evil made the right call. I think he assessed her right. I think it's important for the Dodgers to play aggressive ball because they need to have that kind of energy. And the last thing I would say is that, I'm a first-time caller, and my great-grandfather played for the Brooklyn Bridegrooms back in 18.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: I think he started with them in 1888.
Speaker 10: That's before they were an official major league team because by Dodger records, it goes 1890, the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: So that's even before that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he started with the Louisville Colonels. in 1886, and Brooklyn Bridegrooms bought him. And he played, I want to say, three years for the Brooklyn Bridegrooms. Had a great record. He ended up dying from typhoid poisoning. And so anyway, there was a picture of him. There was a picture of him put up on the, I think it was last year, on the television. as if he was as a, uh, what, uh, early Dodger looked like Freddie Freeman. I don't know if you remember that, but they put.
Speaker 2: Up, but I know Joe Davis likes to give out birthday shout outs to, uh, old Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, for first time caller and I just, you bet. Have a great evening.
Speaker 2: Okay. Mike, thank you for that phone call. That's pretty cool. I mean, your great grandfather, I think he said was, uh, Brooklyn Bridesgroom. I mean, that's pretty impressive. And Dodger Blood going back a few generations there. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Tonight's game brought to you by Modelo. Modelo, the mark of a fighter. Dodger's beat the tigers tonight, two to one. And I'm not going to say that the Dodger offense is back because they left a lot of runners out there. This could have been another one of those games where it wouldn't have had to be a nail biter, but it was the Dodgers left 15 men on base tonight. They were just four for 12 with runners in scoring position. Thanks to Miguel Rojas and Freddie Freeman coming up with the two most clutch hits tonight. Rojas, a pinch hit single in the sixth inning after Tucker was thrown out to tie the game. And Freddie obviously delivering with two outs in the eighth inning to drive home to Oscar Hernandez. But again, you're waiting for this Dodger offense to really explode and just when you think that, Hey, they might do it. They take a few steps backwards. I know last night was Chris sales night, but those two games in Atlanta, not a lot of team at bats tonight outside of Rojas, Kike Hernandez and Freddie Freeman. I thought Teoscar had better team at bats tonight, but outside of those guys, I didn't see a lot of team at bats. And As we've talked about before, it's one unit, one lineup. It's got to be together. And right now, we're seeing a lot of guys that are just worried about themselves. And tonight, Shohei Otani had a lot of very uncharacteristic type at-bats. Striking out to start the game. Rounds into a 4-6-3 double play. Strikes out looking in the sixth inning with runners at first and third. Those are not Shohei Otani type at-bats. Let's go out to Costa Mesa. Rick, you're on Dodger Talk. How are you doing?
Speaker 7: Hey, it's so nice to talk to you. What do you think about being so uncoordinated and such a great broadcaster and Kiki's performance?
Speaker 2: Uncoordinated as far as going down the slide?
Speaker 7: Si.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, yes. I mean, I felt like. I've handled that slide pretty well. The slide got me, no doubt. But as far as Kike goes, let's focus on him. Look, Kike Hernandez has had minimal at-bats since coming off the IEL, missing basically the majority of the season. First, coming back with that left elbow surgery that he had during the offseason. And then he comes back and injures his oblique right away. So including tonight, Kike Hernandez, who was a pinch hitter, only has 39 at bats. And I'm glad he brought that up. I know he was trying to be a clown to bring up the slide and all that. But he did bring up Kike Hernandez. And Alec Thomas has done a nice job. But I'm not a believer that Alec Thomas should be in there for every single right-handed pitcher the Dodgers face. On Sunday, the Dodgers will face left-hander Frambois Valdez. I'm sure Kike is going to be either at third or center field. But for me, Alec's call and Kike Hernandez should be getting more time filling in for Andy Paez. in center field. I know the Dodgers like the platoon scenario until Pa has returns, but Alex call has given the Dodgers some tough at bats against righties and lefties since the all-star break minimal opportunity. But Hey, if the Dodgers want October key gang, He can't go into October with only 50, 60 at-bats. He's got to get more at-bats. And to me, I mean, he was able to track down that deep fly ball off the bat of Kevin McGonigal in the eighth inning off of Essia. He gets great jumps off the ball. He just turned 35. He had his mom and dad and wife and family and friends out there in Atlanta for the weekend to celebrate his 35th birthday, but he Even at 35, you saw it tonight, he gets great jumps on the ball in center field. He's a really smart baseball player. And I just think that you've got to play him out there in center field more than they have. And I know he's not an everyday player, but his Alec Thomas and everyday player, because you're going to see more righties than lefties. I just feel like Alex calling Kike Hernandez, Kike, especially if you want him to be that playoff player, he's got to get some at bats. He only has 39 this year. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Let's go out to Oxnard. Augie, you're on Dodger Talk. And by the way, Alec Thomas' arm, not very good. A noodle arm. Kike's got a cannon for an arm. So he can hold down center field with the best of them. Hi, Augie. You're on Dodger Talk. Sorry about that. I had to get all that out.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 6: Hey, I agree with you.
Speaker 8: Thomas has no business starting over those two guys.
Speaker 2: Not every day. Not every day.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's what I want to say. I watch every day, listen to you every night. Do you think there's something going on? Not something going on. The Dodgers are not adjusting to change-ups the last three weeks. Hey, you do watch, Augie.
Speaker 2: You do watch. I was thinking that tonight, too, as I was watching Drew Anderson carve him up with changeups just the way Logan Henderson carved him up on changeups at Dodger Stadium. Remember Logan Henderson of the Brewers that Sunday afternoon? They had no answer for him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I see that they don't make adjustments in the box. They stand in the same spot no matter what. If it's 100 miles an hour.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I agree. Guys are just so set in their ways that you don't see anybody move closer to the mound. You don't see anybody move back. I just feel like I've asked a couple of former players what they think about the Dodgers approaches to these to Logan Henderson in particular. They just said that they're they're looking at quadrants of the strike zone and they're not adjusting to a change up, which dives down. I mean, you got to be able to make those adjustments and not be so fixated on your quadrant of the strike zone. That's the feedback I've gotten. But I like you, Augie. You're paying attention. And yes, the Dodgers have had trouble against pitchers that throw fastball changeups. That's all. You know, tonight, Drew Anderson threw a little curveball here and there, but Logan Henderson, that's all he threw, fastball changeup, and the Dodgers had no answer.
Speaker 8: My question, I mean, I don't want to keep going on, but are the coaches that are watching the game, I mean, just say, hey, Dave, Augie, just go up there looking for changeups. He's going to throw you five changeups out of eight pitches. You know, they don't throw three fastballs in a row. Nobody does.
Speaker 2: I think the hitters have got to move up. move off their stubborn line of thinking. And I think they've got to be their best hitting coaches and compete in the batter's box. Thanks for the phone call, Augie. Call back anytime. I love Oxnard too. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. We're going to take a timeout here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll get into when rosters expand, when the Dodgers return home. Also, I'm sure you know there's a lot of Tigers and Dodgers connections in this series. Besides, Tarek Skubal will connect the dots on all that as well. The Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight 2-1 on AM570 LA Sports.
Speaker 12: Hi, this is Freddie Freeman. This is the home of the back-to-back world champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Don't miss a moment of the Quest for a three-peat.
Speaker 8: Go ahead and run 90 feet away for the Dodgers, but two out in a 1-1 game.
Speaker 1: First pitch, Freeman.
Speaker 7: Scolds it into center field to give the Dodgers the lead. Jumps all over the first pitch from Wagusbeck to score to Oscar Hernandez, and.
Speaker 2: It's 2-1 L.A. AJ Hinch chose to pitch to Freddie Freeman with the go-ahead run 90 feet away, and he paid for it. Freddie Freeman drives in to Oscar Hernandez in the eighth inning with two outs, and the Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight 2-1. Daniels Jewelers, they present the home run forecast all year long. For your chance to win a $ 50 Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit am570lasports. com, use the keyword HOMERUN, and to your name you could win Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Freddie Freeman on Sportsnet LA. First pitch fastball, were you sitting on that?
Speaker 12: Sitting on strikes. Plan doesn't change. But I'm just thankful that I... Swung it one over the play instead of one that almost hit me tonight. I did that a few times, but no, I mean, scoops was great. Uh, bullpen was great. Uh, Miguel, huge pinch hit. Um, and didn't score as many runs as we wanted to, but there's a lot of positive tonight that we can take into tomorrow.
Speaker 2: How difficult has it been offensively recently?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean, we're just going up and down. It's just, we put together a few, few games in a row where it looks like us. And then there's a couple of games where we run into some good pitching. You got to get, sometimes you got to give the other side of this credit too, but, We know we've got a good team, good offense, and hopefully we can start clicking in here shortly.
Speaker 10: You're creating opportunities pretty consistently, but not coming up with that big hit.
Speaker 6: What does that tell you about where you're at?
Speaker 12: Sometimes it can be even more frustrating for an offense. We keep getting those guys. We keep getting those opportunities, but ultimately we've got to cash those in. That's what we haven't done in the last few days, but we're all optimistic around here. If we can keep creating those opportunities at some point, As good as we are, and we know we've got a good offensive group, we'll get those hits. But we've got a pitching group that we have, keeps us in games like that. They've been keeping us in it the last, I would say, three, four, five weeks. As an offense, we've got to get going. We know it's crunch time, and hopefully we can get hot here going into the playoffs.
Speaker 11: In that frustration especially like the first four or five innings tonight and how important was it for like you said like Tarek to kind of keep you guys.
Speaker 12: There in that spot I mean I don't think in game we're not frustrated I think after the game you just think about like man we had a lot of opportunities but in game you're not thinking about the frustration you're trying to figure out our next wave maybe an adjustment for yourself to get going you know I was battling myself all game there's foul ball after foul ball and that third at bat I was getting frustrated just because of I had some pitches that I could poke into left field and I just kept fouling them off so It's not more about frustration of not getting it. It's just, you know, I'm thinking about that. You're just trying to figure out a way to get it done, and then maybe after the game you can be frustrated. But scoops was great. We got two runs. Miguel, Kike, big pitches, even though Kike's got thrown out at home, but still. some massive hits and some massive opportunities that we can take into tomorrow.
Speaker 11: How much did you guys just kind of feel like the occasion of him coming back here and the emotions that went into it for him?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, you guys have been around him for a couple weeks.
Speaker 4: He's always talking.
Speaker 12: He's in it. You wouldn't even know he was coming back for the first time.
Speaker 8: He was talking to everybody.
Speaker 12: Like I told Kirsten on the field, during my knee drills, he was out there talking to everybody. It's We call him the opposite of Kirsch on start days. But, no, I think he embraced it. He left everything he had for this team, this organization, multiple Cy Youngs. He left it all for them. I think that's why he got a lot of cheers. I know I'm sure during the game they weren't too thrilled with all the strikeouts he was racking up. But, you know, it's hard to boo a man that gave you everything he had every five days.
Speaker 2: Seven strikeouts for Tarek Skubal in six innings tonight. That was Freddie Freeman who drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning on Sportsnet.
Speaker 6: LA.
Speaker 2: 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Wanted to get to the Dodgers September roster. As you know now, you can't just call up all of your 40-man roster. There are roster restrictions now where you can only call up one additional pitcher per and one additional position player. Right now, rosters are at 26. On September 1st, they expand to 28. So who are going to be those players? Well, let's start with the guys that are hurt. First and foremost, Justin Robleski. I would imagine that he would be coming back sometime during the upcoming nine-game homestand because after the Dodgers left Atlanta, Robleski is was headed to join Oklahoma City. He told me he's scheduled to start tomorrow for the OKC Comets, and he's eligible to come off the IL the last day of August. Edwin Diaz, who has traveled with the Dodgers under the watchful eye of strength coach Travis Smith and pitching coach Connor McGinnis, has been working to get his arm slot where it needs to be, getting stronger. Diaz is eligible to come off the second day of September, which is Wednesday. the second game of that series against the Cardinals. So Diaz could be one of those pitchers that is added to the roster on Wednesday. Robleski at any time could come in and take the spot of anybody from Kyle Hurt to Seth Halverson or just added if Diaz is not activated right on time. Also, position player wise, Will Smith is going to come back when the Dodgers return home. He could be activated on Tuesday. That seems to be the line of thinking that Dave Roberts has been conveying to us. the last week or so. So the other part of this equation is James Tibbs III, who the Dodgers acquired last trade deadline along with Zach Earhart for five starts of Dustin May in Boston. Tibbs has had an incredible year at AAA. His OPS is 966. He has 27 home runs. His batting average is 295, but the most important part for this 23-year-old outfielder is he's left-handed. And Teoscar Hernandez, for the majority of this season, has struggled against right-handed pitching. He's only hitting about 235 against right-handed pitching. Would the Dodgers consider calling up Tibbs and platooning in left field? Um, that I'm sure is being discussed, but there's part of this that is affected by the pending CBA, uh, renegotiations or labor deal. That's expiring. Tibbs is not on the 40 man roster. And my understanding, some teams that are in this position where they want to call up a player that's not on their 40 man roster in September are hesitant because of this new pending CBA and what it may look like. So, uh, That's part of the equation as well, but honestly, if all things are equal, I would be in favor of calling up Tibbs and giving him opportunities against righties in September in left field. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight 2-1, and like I said earlier in the show, I'm in favor of Kike Hernandez starting more in center field along with Alex Call because Alec Thomas, he's a nice player, but there was a reason why the Diamondbacks let him go. He can cover a lot of ground in center field more than, I guess, Kike and Alex Call, but his arm's not very strong. Offensively, he's hit the ball hard at times. I'm not saying he should never play, but I feel like Kike Hernandez should get more at bats in center field. because you know the Dodgers are going to call on Kike in October. Let's go out to Pasadena. Jeff, you're on Dodger Talk live from Comerica Park. How you doing, Jeff?
Speaker 1: Hi, David.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on. It's a pleasure to be with you tonight.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 6: Thanks for being patient.
Speaker 3: You bet.
Speaker 6: I think this is an important win for the boys today. Kind of stopped things. They played some real baseball. I liked when Ben Mortbett laid that bunt down. That was, I think, good. We don't see enough of that. And we're going to need to produce runs going forward. I think that's good.
Speaker 2: That was huge because if he doesn't lay down that bunt, Teoscar doesn't get to third base. So you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that is a key part of the game. We don't seem to be doing enough of that. I'm talking to my buddies and we're all big fans and have been for many, many years. And I just can't figure out the Kyle Tucker thing. I guess he's been a great ball player. His numbers have been great. But we were sitting down at breakfast this morning. We were doing a little bit of math. He makes $ 60 million a year. And so far this year, he's had 102 hits. So that's $ 588, 000 per hit.
Speaker 2: Well, do you want me to go with the technicality? I could do the sarcastic technicality. Tucker got a $ 50- something million signing bonus. So technically, he's not making that much in salary. But I get what you're saying.
Speaker 6: 46, 46,000 signing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So he leaves a lot to be designed in a lot of ways this year. And it's been a big adjustment, bigger than I'm sure he even thought it would be.
Speaker 6: I sure hope that he gets it together. Look, I'm a fan and I hope that, that for all of us and for the club that he, he plays like the person he was paid to be. And that's, that's all.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. If Kyle Tucker comes up in a playoff game and delivers a, a clutch hit to help the Dodgers win a playoff game. Maybe when a playoff series is all forgiven from the regular season.
Speaker 6: Is all forgiven. Yeah. I mean, of course, you know, we, we all want, we want him to succeed. It's just frustrating as fans to watch day after day and game after game. It just doesn't. And I don't, you know, I don't know his style of play. He lopes around the outfield. Maybe that's how he plays. He runs. He did the part of this thing of when he didn't score today. Nobody talked about when the ball was hit, which was clearly going to get in the gap back there. He ran back. He took two steps back to second base before he started to go third.
Speaker 2: Well, I've seen him take steps like that going back, but tonight I thought he did a pretty good job of running right when the ball was hit. I felt that way, Jeff, but I couldn't believe that he slowed down after he rounded third base. And I think that's the biggest issue for me, Jeff, You can understand a guy going through a year like this year, especially when you look at the home road splits. But what you can't forgive is the lack of hustle, the lapses on the bases, the lapses on defense. Those are the things that I think you and other fans are rubbed the wrong way by.
Speaker 6: I think you're right. We want him to succeed. Let's get that straight. We want this club to be the club that we know they can be.
Speaker 2: Everybody does.
Speaker 6: There's been a lot of support.
Speaker 2: By the team to try to help him succeed. He's got to be able to get out of his own way and succeed at this point, Jeff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you and I agree. Thanks a lot for your time today, David.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff. Thanks for the phone call. 866-987-2570. Yeah. You know, it's not by a lack of effort by Dave Roberts, the coaching staff, Dino Ebel, the outfield coach, the hitting coaches. They're all trying to connect to see how they can help Tucker turn his season around. And I feel like Tucker is starting to, you know, change the routine change, be a little bit more open-minded than what he has been the majority of the year, but it's up to him. And I, Gary Sheffield, a guy that I respect, should be in the Hall of Fame, said last week at the Pump Dinner that he believes Tucker is going to finish the season strong and come up with some big hits in the playoffs. At this point, that's hard to believe, but I think that's the only thing you can hold on to if you're a Dodger fan, that they are going to the postseason, and he's not getting benched. He's going to have an opportunity to play and to come up with some hits, some plays. to help the Dodgers try to achieve that three-peat, and that was the line of thinking when they signed him. It just hasn't gone that way so far this year. Speaking of Hall of Fame, Carlos Beltran somehow got the votes of the writers to be in the Hall of Fame. You know what's so funny is these writers, they're so sanctimonious about guys that use PEDs, and I could tell you there's a lot of speculation already about some guys they have voted in that there's a lot of cloud of suspicion around. But nonetheless, their line of thinking is if you were connected to PDs, you were cheating. So how did Carlos Beltran get into the Hall of Fame? Because he was one of the ringleaders, if not the biggest ringleader of the Astros of 2017, stealing their way to a World Series championship. How do you How do you explain that if you're a Hall of Fame voter and you allow Carlos Beltran to get into the Hall of Fame? And can you believe with how Carlos Beltran has been connected to the 2017 Astros? I mean, after everything got exposed, the Mets said, you can't be our manager anymore. It's incredible that A.J. Hinch is allowed to manage, but Carlos Beltran's not. I mean, Hinch was the manager. He was in charge of all that. But nonetheless... Carlos Beltran should probably lay low and be thankful that he is in the Hall of Fame. But being Beltran, he decided that he would go after former Dodger, former Philly, Chase Utley on the Mets SNY network out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 9: I think he had a great career.
Speaker 2: Not a big fan.
Speaker 9: In the game of baseball, you could play hard. But when you play dirty, it's a different element. You can play hard.
Speaker 1: I play hard.
Speaker 9: I slide hard. But I try to keep myself down. Sometimes he did things that the way we look at it, we felt was dirty. And that's my opinion. And I bet you will find many opinions like that in the game. So it's not only my opinion.
Speaker 1: But I play hard.
Speaker 9: But I try not to hurt nobody. There were times at home play where I had the catcher in front of me for me to kill the catcher. But my goal is not to kill the catcher. My goal is to try to score the run. You know, if you're trying to break a double play, then, you know, slide into the bag. And if you want to pass to the bag, through the bag, make sure you stay holding the bag. But when you change your route or your path to hit somebody, that's not clean.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. The guy that cheated with trash cans in Houston is talking about who's clean, who's not, the right way to play the game. How about this, Carlos Beltran? Sit this one out.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: You're in the Hall of Fame. You should be happy and grateful. You should sit this one out. And why you're all of a sudden bringing up Chase Utley? Hmm, I don't know why. Maybe because on the East Coast, especially, there's a groundswell for Chase Utley to be elected to the Hall of Fame and join you in Cooperstown. Now, I'm not saying what he said hasn't been told to me by opposing players that played against Chase Utley. There were a lot of guys that took exception with the way Chase Utley played and the way he would slide into second base. There's no doubt about it. But how about this, Carlos Beltran? Sit this one out. When you're talking about clean and cheating, you are right at the top of the list of what the Astros did in 2017, cheating Chase Utley and the Dodgers and the Yankees of fair and balanced and non-cheating games. Now I'm a big believer the Dodgers still should have won that World Series in 17 if they don't blow game two. They're up 2-0 going to Houston even with the cheating. Alex Wood wins the game because he was three steps ahead of what the Astros were doing. They come back home probably win game six in a 3-2 series lead and the cheating is defeated but Nonetheless, what Kershaw did in game five, it was incredible how those Astros were not swinging at his sliders, Maeda's sliders. Ridiculous. And we all know how. And Carlos Beltran was at the very forefront of the cheating of the Astros in 2017. So, you know, I'm not going to see everything he said there about Chase Utley has not been said, you know, in the baseball circles. And if he's referring to Chase Utley sliding into second base with Ruben Tejada in the 15 NLDS, I got news for you. Ruben Tejada was so far out of position. He had no business doing that wacky type of play and he got hurt because of it. Not because Chase Utley was trying to slide with intent to hurt Tejada. So if he's talking about that, he better get a little more educated on that play, but you know, the other place that he's talking about. Yeah, I've heard that before, but Carlos Beltran should be the last guy calling out chase Utley for anything. He should just be very happy. He has a plaque in Cooperstown.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: When I saw that, I got really, I got upset and somebody has to say something because You know, these writers that vote for some of these guys into the Hall of Fame seems very hypocritical and contradictory. And Carlos Beltran, he may not have used PEDs, but he certainly cheated the game in 2017, as far as we know. All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. Chase Utley, I'm starting to believe that he should be in the Hall of Fame. And I want him even more now in the Hall of Fame after what Carlos Beltran just said on SNY. All right, tomorrow, Snellzilla. I'll be happy tomorrow. Snellzilla on the mound. Snellzilla Saturday. 18 innings since coming off the IL. 21 strikeouts. He has dominated, and I don't expect anything less tomorrow as the Dodgers and Tigers hook up for a day game. Our coverage begins at 9 a.m. First pitch at 10-10 on Snellzilla Saturday. Rick Monday and Steven Nelson will have the pleasure of being on the call for the two-time Two-time Cy Young Award winner. And I'm sure my guy Sam at Downey Hyundai, he is foaming at the mouth to try to get Snellzilla in a Downey Hyundai. But I'm not sure that's going to happen. He'll just have to settle for Snellzilla taking a ride in the Ioniq 9, beautiful blue Ioniq 9 that Sam at Downey Hyundai has hooked us up with. All right, thanks to Collin Yee back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here late night at Comerica Park. And thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with future Hall of Famer and the Dodgers all-time saves leader Kenley Jansen, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, the final score from downtown Detroit, the Dodgers and Scoobles return to Motown, beat the Tigers two to one. Have a great rest of your night. Be safe.
Speaker 1: See ya.